[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 48
Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

>Playing?
>Brewing?
>Next MTG Purchase?

The updated Modern Metagame is below.
>>
File: Modern Metagame.jpg (200 KB, 1141x820) Image search: [Google]
Modern Metagame.jpg
200 KB, 1141x820
Current MM.
>>
>>47412296
>temur midrange
Lol why
>>
File: Force of Will.xlhq.jpg (639 KB, 745x1040) Image search: [Google]
Force of Will.xlhq.jpg
639 KB, 745x1040
>>47412284
>Playing?
Jeskai Harbinger, Kiki-Chord, Grixis Midrange/Control
>Brewing?
Getting reps in with these decks and optimizing a couple mainboard choices, and a few sideboard cards.
>Next MTG Purchase?
Might buy some new JTMS and FoW after Eternal Masters is released to finish Miracles (w/o the proper duel lands).
>>
>>47412284
>Playing?
Titanshift, Infect
>Brewing?
Thinking of putting together a delver deck or some kind of anti-local meta deck. There's a lot of aggressive decks, but I don't really have fun playing jund even though it would be a good call.
>Next MTG Purchase?
Maybe some pauper stuff. I'm trying to wait until EM is all spoiled before I decide on anything.
>>
File: Bird Brain.png (722 KB, 640x812) Image search: [Google]
Bird Brain.png
722 KB, 640x812
This dumb ass shit right here.
>>
>>47412971
This isn't relevant to the modern general. This is full on terrible
>>
Who went to a gp this weekend? How'd you do? What'd you play?

I went to LA, went 7-2 day1, ended day2 at 10-5. Pleasantly surprised with my result. Played BW death&taxes (not eldrazi taxes).
>>
>>47412296
>bogles same tier as temur midrange and summoning trap

lol what
>>
>>47413064
You're terrible... at Magic!
>get riggityrekt
>>
>>47412971
stop posting this in every thread
>>
>>47412296
does death and taxes include eldrizzle taxes
>>
>>47412284
Alert The Presses: Merfolk (Fishies) finally won a modern GP.
>>
File: daffy.jpg (5 KB, 209x251) Image search: [Google]
daffy.jpg
5 KB, 209x251
>>47415122
It won a Modern GP last June.
>>
>>47415122
>Finally

Good work outing yourself as being new.
>>
>>47415122
It won one last year. There was even another merfolk player in the top 8 in that gp as well.
>>
Who Ad Nauseam here? What's it like to finally prove that your deck isn't a meme.
>>
File: Emerica.jpg (211 KB, 1397x833) Image search: [Google]
Emerica.jpg
211 KB, 1397x833
>>47412284
>>Playing?
Emerica (jeskai harbinger)

>>Brewing?
I brewed it (the list I'm playing). I've been shilling it here for like a month.

>>Next MTG Purchase?
Something for Death & Taxes (Legacy). I'm poking around for tech against Squid Stompy because it's something like half my local meta. other than that I'm talking to some guy from Cardhoarder about selling off my modo collection because modo is awful and probably selling off all my cards that aren't Emerica or D&T-related IRL because I want new MTB stuff.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
So fucking close to finishing this deck, I just need one more Warp.

LGS didn't have a Grafdiggers for the sb, but I did pick up a bunch of fogs to make a Turbo Tutelage as well.
>>
>>47412296
Did I fuck up for building Living End...?
>>
>>47417725
You seriously thought it was anything more than a meme?

Anon, come on.
>>
>>47412296
It's a sad state of affairs when the only decknames that aren't just "what the deck's colors are and/or cards they run" are affinity (which historically doesn't even count), D&T, and the zoo variants.
>>
>>47417725
No anon, that list is a meme. It's based on modo leagues or something, idk.

What are your thoughts on Glassdust Hulk? and on Ridge Rannet in place of the spiders?

How many Streetwraith/Macabres are you running?
>>
>>47417787
Thugs&bugs
>>
>>47418621
mandatory WE WUZ BUGZ N SHIET

I really like the name though, but alas wizards sjws had to fuck up and irreversibly associate the name with offending black people (just like kiora atua wait omg im so sorry Maorian players i didnt mean to say "hello god" in ur language i didnt mean to offend shut it down!!)
>>
So, I run a playset of Wanderwine Hub in my Mono-U Merfolk solely to dodge stuff like Choke, Boil, and Islandwalk (in the mirror match). However, I'm wondering if this is sufficient to run a couple of Path to Exile in the sideboard. What do you guys think? My inclination is to say no, but there's enough doubt in that answer that I think it might work out.
>>
>>47418777
Its ridiculous but what can you do?
>>
>>47418777
>SJWs associate the word "Thugs" with blacks
>Somehow try to tell others they're racist

Tumblrinas everybody. Also, nice trips anon.
>>
>>47417725

No, as LE has an excellent to normal matchup with every tier1 deck, bar burn and scapeshift.

Unfortunately most tier 2 decks just shit on you.

If your local meta is all jund and similiar stuff, get LE and wreck their shit
>>
Would a Tarmogoyf ban hurt or help modern?
>>
>>47419579
nothing can help Memedern
>>
>>47419579

hurt, as it is completely unnecessary
>>
>>47418800
Why do you wan to run path for? What targets do you have in mind?
>>
>>47419683
Mostly as a way to hit stuff that can't really be overcome with bounce. I suppose I could run Dismember or even Gutshot, but I'd rather not spend the life on those.
>>
>>47419710
The life loss is worth it over having a dead card you can't cast because you didn't draw one of your 4 white sources. Also, the majority of merfolk deck run some numbers of dismembers, so take that as you will.
>>
File: Deflecting-Palm.jpg (93 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
Deflecting-Palm.jpg
93 KB, 700x500
Do you constantly hand-shuffle?
>>
>>47418777
>>47418621
godfucking dammit I could have gone through this day without ever knowing about this dumb shit but now I googled it
>>
>>47420361
No, because I'm not a tryhard faggot.
>>
>>47420361
I put my cards facedown on the table and intensely stare at my opponent
>>
>>47420361
I'm a very fidgety person so I do it automatically. I'm trying to cut down on it.
>>
>>47417787
idk anon, storm and knightfall are pretty cool deck names.
>>
>>47420490
I like you.
>>
>>47420361
No, because I'm not a fucking idiot. I will occasionally sift through my cards, but in a manner that is not particularly loud or obnoxious, and only to remind myself of what I currently have in hand so my options stay at the forefront of my mind.
>>
>Shelldock Isle spike

For what reason?
>>
>>47412504
If you're going to play a legacy deck without duals don't make it a control deck.
>>
>>47420490
This is me when playing Belcher.
>>
>>47418837
The funny thing is it's a word that's literally never been used as a word to describe black people. Maybe specific black people who actually were thugs, but never been associated with the race. It's blatant racism on the part of the SJWs to anyone who has access to a dictionary, or just a decent understanding of the English language. It's like the south park flag episode.
>>
>>47417982
The Glassdust Hulk is ok, but only if you got a few blue lands in the Deck, otherwise the Architects of Will are simply better, even though they are bolt-able, the semi-cry 3 can be game changing.
Rigde Rannet is simply worse than the Jungle Weaver (you get +1 Power but -2 Thoughness and Reach). Reach is really important, but he Pale spider unfortunally has White which is unfortunate. The 2 colorless mana cycles, you don't want many, so i recommend the Jungle Weaver. For Landcycling, i have been using the 5/3 zombie, but i think the Pale spider is better, i simply use it because i lack any white land.

I run 4 Streetwraiths (you can basically win turn 2 if you win the draw lottery) and 3-4 Macabres (depending on the meta, if there is a lot of CoCo or Control).

>>47419577
Most of the LGS i play, it's tier 2 Decks, unfortunally. The good thing is seeing people sideboarding Graffdigger's Cages, always makes my giggle, which happens many times

My biggest problem is that I also finished a Affinity Deck (got from ebay quite cheap) and I don't feel much confidence in my LE for the FNMs, and seeing that list simply makes me want to use it even less.
>>
>>47421315
There was that one mill deck at GP LA which went something like 9-4-2.

I guess some people think mill is competitive now or something.
>>
>>47421689
That one extra power could change the game though, and often you just btfo the flyers with an outburst. Idk he seems underused
>>
>>47422023
Think vs Control Decks that have Pia Nalaar, etc, where the flyers don't come in right away.
Being a 5/6 > 6/4, think vs Affinity when they have Galvanic Blast.
>>
>>47422099
Thopters die to Living End, and if they cast it the turn after (sorc speed cascade) then reach wouldn't matter anyways. It only stops blinkmoth/collonade, but so does instant speed cascade (or faerie macabre)

You have a point about Galv blast though.

Also, do you run Urborg? It enables swampwalk, it's so nice for fixing, but it does help affinity with plating activations
>>
>>47412284
>playing
Boros burn
>brewing
Infect
>next mtg purchase
shit to finnish my legacy goblins
>>
>>47422353
>Boros

Why not Nyaya?
>>
>>47422502
3 color burn just doesn't feel right. Plus this is just faster.
>>
File: image:98734.jpg (77 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image:98734.jpg
77 KB, 312x445
Unban Chrome Mox
Unban Punishing Fire
>>
>>47422528
How is it faster when Atarkas Command can allow Burn to turn 3 kill?
>>
>>47412296
Suicide Zoo tier 2 !!?!? NIgga we made it
>>
>>47420490
when I play against ppl i know at lgs and after passing em priority to take an important play i would grab a random card from my hand, put it face down on the table in front of em and slide away the others in hand, then id begin to stare em and say "alright, go ahead"
>>
File: 1463716292941.png (60 KB, 200x234) Image search: [Google]
1463716292941.png
60 KB, 200x234
>>47418777

>Kiora was originally named "Kiora Atua." Parallels were drawn with the Maori, because in Maori, "Kia ora" is a greeting (meaning "be well") and Atua is the Maori word for "god" or other similar terms such as "ancestor" or "spirit". However, this connection between the planeswalker and the Maori was not intentional. In January 2014, it was announced that "Atua" would be dropped from her name as it was considered inappropriate and offensive by Wizards, as it disrespectfully treads on sincere beliefs

You can't make this shit up.
>>
>>47418837

>>47418777

mangs I think that shit was an overreaction and I don't think thugs equates to black either, but at least where I live "thugs" is the word of choice to be blatantly racist in public ie rich old lady asks waitress loudly to remove thugs from the restaurants or something referring to a black family (this shit actually happens whether you want to believe it or not)

it's also the favorite word to use by gentrifying hipsters at community meeting to push poor people out of their neighborhoods by like raising taxes and closing the groceries stores etc to make the shit more "desirable"

im not saying this is the only way to use the word or that you can't use because i do but at least here in philly rich people love to use the word to be racist (although it generally refers to white trash rtype people too, ironically like most of the monster neckbeard types that play mntg here)
>>
>>47422826
man when people are talking about banning ssg, they arent going to bad ssg on a stick in any color
>>
>>47424143
>it's also the favorite word to use by gentrifying hipsters at community meeting to push poor people out of their neighborhoods by like raising taxes and closing the groceries stores

good, the city center is the most desirable place to live from a transportation standpoint, why waste that space on retards without a job?
>>
>>47420490
I do this, too.
>>
>>47424989
mang unless you're making 2 mil or something a year at some financial consultancy job after a wharton mba (and trust me, you're on /tg/ so you're not) and you're about to drop 800k on a lot in norlibs (which again, you won't) without even a house on it, that person would literally buy your house and your parent's organs if they looked your way and decided they wanted to. Then buy a fuckton of legos and drive up the prices with an endless wallet. You're sympathizing with the wrong person here, bud. enjoy being cucked by the "puritan work ethic"
>>
>>47424166
SSG is not broken in any way and neither is Chrome Mox. They allow combo decks some much needed speed.
>>
>>47425794

Combo decks shouldn't be allowed to exist because they are too confusing for new players.
>>
>>47422322
I don't run because of "no-bling", but to be honest I don't see the trouble of runing 1 in the Deck, since it may help in some cases you could use 2 black manas but you only got 1 source (the other land is a stomping ground/ copperline gorge, for example).
>>
>>47416329
I played it until it won Charlotte and then dropped it cause I only play memedrecks.
>>
>>47421628
I mean black rappers since the 90's have used the word thug to refer to themselves and other black rappers and gangsters. So you're kind of retarded. The word definitely is associated with black people. They brought it on themselves though.

Thugz n bugz 4 lyfe.
>>
File: bad card.jpg (23 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
bad card.jpg
23 KB, 200x285
Thoughts on this with the recentish unbannings? I really enjoy playing a lot of one of silver bullets in my deck
>>
thoughts on goblins in modern?
>>
File: image.png (909 KB, 1217x797) Image search: [Google]
image.png
909 KB, 1217x797
>>47427804
Imho its just the media jews pushing the racial angle so vehemently, those race baiting devils
>>
Is mill a legit deck or a memedeck?
>>
Anyone wanna help me with a silly modern deck idea i've got? It involves pest engine, unwinding clock, cryptolith rite, and coat of arms.
>>
>>47428138
one of the better players i know was playing 8whack and did pretty well with it. it can kill on turn 3. i was always 1 turn off from getting living end
>>
>>47429351

Sounds way too janky, Johnny. Try to keep your combos low on how many cards they need to work. Memnite and Ornithopter are auto includes in what you're trying to do, though. If you feel like you can shit out dudes fast enough, Door to Nothingness would be hilarious with Cryptolith Rite; though I feel like you'll lose before you even cast it and a Tooth and Nail would be much better.
>>
>>47429566
I'm going to also include etherium sculptor, to make the whole mess a little more manageable, I just want to make a silly deck where I kill people with huge pests.
>>
>>47414764
Eldrazi taxes is the only "viable" D&T in modern.
>>
>>47429566
>>47429604
I also forgot to mention the playset of darksteel citadel that would be included
>>
>>47427897
Thopter Gifts is a deck. Looks interesting and cheap to build, though a little on the slow side, imo. I'd probably play it if I wasn't already playing Affinity.
>>
File: 1457138261312.jpg (98 KB, 504x470) Image search: [Google]
1457138261312.jpg
98 KB, 504x470
>Had to pick a decision between playing Hatebears or Bogles
>Decide to go Bogles
>Find the deck extremely fun and begin assembling the pieces
>Still missing some sideboard pieces and Horizon Canopy
>Waiting excitedly for any new tournament standings for Bogles
>New variants have a 4 Horizon Canopy
>It's not really winning tournaments now
>>
>>47430450
Infect is just faster. Bogles is still a really powerful deck, however, so play it if that's what you like to do.
>>
>>47430450
Just out of curiosity do you get an excessive amount of salt from the people you play against?
>>
>>47430707
I hate Bogles. It's a mediocre deck, but it sure does shit on Affinity.

I used to love Bogles back when I played Tron a lot, though.
>>
>>47430875
It seems affinity is shit on by everything in this current meta.
>>
I've been playing kiki chord for a while and have been loving it

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/24-05-16-XHX-kiki-chord/

Anything I should change or add, any spicy tech I could add in ?
>>
>>47431486

To be fair Affinity has been shit on by everything for a very long time.

Affinity's worst matchup is the sideboard.
>>
>>47428837
just memes, and less fun to play against than combo
>>
>>47428837

It's ok but will get fucked over by any deck that has cards that has a replacement effect for card draw(Dredge etc.)
>>
I know the answer is almost definitely no, but is there any deck that you can reasonably jam mindcrank combo into? I have a ton of the pieces and seems like something fun and dumb to bring to events when I'm not feeling my main jam
>>
>>47431621
This may sound silly, but Bonfire of the Damned is actually pretty reasonable in the "lots of small creatures" matchups, including Company and Chord. You also get tons of salt when you topdeck it for the win.
>>
File: Image.jpg (32 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
32 KB, 223x310
How to say fuck you to any mana cost over 4 on turn 4(with etherium sculptor)
>>
>>47432165
Ooo that is saucy ill put that in the side
>>
>>47432409
Sundering Titan
Jin Gitaxias
>>
>>47431486
>>47431736
Hasn't stopped it from reaching the finals of GPs.
>>
>>47432615
>>Sundering Titan
Why isn't this played in Tron?
>>
>>47432850

good question, seems bomb as fuck

what are they gonna do? path to exile and lose two more lands?
>>
>>47432850
Better 8 drops. It's good, but you need something that's more impactful in modern. However, I know blue tron plays at least one.
>>
>>47432850
Blue tron plays it. It's really sweet vs. three color decks. Add Academy Ruins for maximum salt.
>>
>>47431621
You are running Nahiri so why don't you run Emrakul as well? Could be fun and can give you some game against control.
>>
>>47431736
>>47432644
I think Affinity is still a great deck, but the sword of the meek unbanning made people run way more artifact hate, plus the popularity of coco decks made sweepers more popular, which is naturally good against decks like affinity.
>>
>>47433169
Casting Sundering Titan against Uxx control decks is pure sex.
>>
>>47431924
Dredge is actually mills best matchup. They get milled out so fucking fast
>but you help them dredge!
True, but they help you mill. It goes both ways, and the matchup is very fun and unique, but games 2&3 mill packs a lot of gravehate. Crypt incursion swings the game, and you almost always won't trigger Bloodghast haste and whatnot until they're at below 30 cards, in which case Shelldock can finish them.

Very cool matchup game one though, since both players are content with whats going on.
>>
>>47430707
My friend hates playing against me. And he's a Merfolk guy. Most of the time I steamroll him if I get the momentum from turn 1. Lifegain makes the match up easier Imo.
>>
>>47434097
Do you run Leylines?
>>
>>47417473
that mirror huh.
>>
>>47432644
>>47433445

I'm not saying it's a bad deck, i'm just saying that because of how strong the deck is running away quickly unchecked there will always be hate for the deck no matter what.

To put it into another perspective Affinity in Modern is how people treat Dredge in Vintage/Legacy. No matter what people will always pack hate for it in the sideboard because it's probably the deck with the strongest game 1 chance.
>>
>People will seriously defend BBE being banned
>"Muh BBE into Kommand... UFFFF THE VALUE WIZARDS PLS NO."
>4 mana, dies to a snapcaster the turn it goes down, only lets you cheat a spell you could have just cast for cheaper anyways, does absolutely nothing afterwards.

As a side note, Im planning on hail mary buying a set of Chinaman legacy duals. Which ones should I go for?
>>
>>47412971
This is fucking trash. Play regular jeskai control and win some games. Bird Brain belongs in the bird trash can
>>
>>47430450
OH man to go back to 2013. I was loving bogles. Played reid dukes list. Had so much fun crushing fnm and magic online. Slowly the deck became worse and worse and now its just outclassed by other fast strategies aka infect, burn, ect. Now with the meta shifting again its going to be even worse. My friend is building it rn has everytihng except canopy and he at best goes 2-4 at local fnm.
>>
>>47432850
It's only really good vs Scapeshift and has no protection unlike Ulamog or recursion like World Breaker.
>>
>>47435521
You should kill yourself for all the faggotry in your post.
>>
Hey guys i really like burn, but i really dislike naya burn. I feel like mardu burn or boros burn could be better. Tell me why naya burn is good other than fuck boy shit like atarkas command is the best spell ever
>>
>>47435710
Destructive Revelry.
Mardu Burn can work, more lava spikes is ok i guess but A Command just closes out the game quicker.
>>
File: image:98738.jpg (53 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image:98738.jpg
53 KB, 312x445
>>47435710
I love this card against Burn
>>
5x Hand Hate
4x Sin Prodder
4x Dark Confidant
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Lightning Helix
4x Soulfire Grand Master
7x More Burn
5x Filler
23x Lands (24 is fine too)

Sins.

Seems to work fine.
>>
>>47435710
Burn is all about doing the most damage per card. Atarka's is very efficient.

Why do you do you think boros or [dega] is better? Dropping a color at the cost of speed for a marginal (at best) offset to life loss isn't smart. I don't see what black offers other than bump, which you will never be able to flash back.
>>
>>47435775
I prefer Hallow since it basically 2f1s every time and it keeps you in the game.
>>
>>47435775
This card reminds me of Mana Tithe. It's not even close to playable, it's not even close to desirable, but holy shit when you land it out of nowhere it's a crackback blowout.
>>
>>47435822
It dodges eidolon too, and then kills him.
It's so clutch. Hallow is nice too, in a more control shell where you can handle the creatures otherwise. Refraction is basically an answer tacked on to a heal.
>>
>>47431486
Except Jund

>>47435777
Just run regular burn, it's a lot faster.

Prodder, Grandmaster, and Bob are both going to catch removal before you get any sort of value out of them. It's much better to just play haste creatures and Eidolons because you will always get value off of them.

>>47435710
But Atarka's Command is great, and the only reason for the splash into green. If your opponent drops a Kitchen Finks to not die, you can Skullcrack, but other times you can pump all of your creatures and bolt their face, getting in usually 6 damage for 2 mana. Boros lifegain is negligible to a burn deck anyway. Black has Bump in the Night, which is sorcery speed and you will never flash it back, and Bob, who will eat removal before any value is gained.
>>
>>47435777
>>47436354
Also the hand disruption is totally unnecessary when playing burn.
>>
>>47435822
>>47436036

If you're playing W and expecting to face Burn, get Spirit Link and plop it on their Eidolon.
>>
>>47435521

>dies the turn you put it down
>only gets you a spell
>eats removal, no value after

youre getting your value from the card with the cascade, retard. it doesnt matter if they remove it because you already made your money. BBE that cascades into removal is a 2 for 1 the moment they try and remove it. BBE that cascades into kommand is a 3 for 1 if they have an artifact.
>>
>>47437120
They don't even need an artifact since they can discard, shoot down 2 toughness creature or return bob from the yard.
>>
File: grapeshot.jpg (27 KB, 417x309) Image search: [Google]
grapeshot.jpg
27 KB, 417x309
>>47412284
>tfw tier 3

W-where we at design mistake bros?
>>
It seems that the Thopter Sword combo has allowed UW Tron to make it into Tier 3, which while not fantastic is definitely a step above where it was prior.

What do you guys think would need to happen to bring it to at least tier 2? RG Tron is where it is because the colors it runs enable it to get what it needs quickly and reliably, a luxury UW Tron doesn't have (Even though Gifts is rather nice). Any way to remedy this, at least partially?
>>
>What do you guys think would need to happen to bring it to at least tier 2?
A much slower metagame where a deck like UW Tron could its thing without getting its shit slapped.
>>
You guys don't have a FAQ. What's a fun deck in modern right now? Looking for less than 100 bucks (I know that sounds absurd, but surely there are some fun 100 dollar decks).

I tried to build Living End once and never finished. I also tried Aggro Loam (in modern, yeah, I don't know) and never finished.
>>
>>47438178
under 100 might be mono red burn.
>>
>>47438433
Oh wow, that bad, huh? I guess I forget that outside of singleton formats, even a ten dollar card will jack up a deck's cost by a fuckton.

Are there any other decent monocolor decks or is a play set of each fetch and filters basically necessary for every other deck in the format?

I'd be fine with a two color deck with shocks and checks, but I know that won't cut it for three colors.
>>
>>47438178
Mono-G Stompy can be fun.
8-Whack is pretty fun if you like aggro.

Here is a decent list of budget modern decks. The displayed price is TCGmid, so you can probably get them cheaper than displayed.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/decks/budget/modern#paper
>>
>>47438178
Mono Green Stompy is absurdly cheap
>>
>>47437120
And you're 3x more likely to cascade into discard, meaning you spent 4 mana on a 3/2 that gets shot down by a snap. That's also assuming snap doesn't flash in and completely shut your 4 drop down.

A 3/2 for 4 mana is fucking terrible, and often can't even attack through a board on t4.

Meanwhile Kalitas and Pia and Kiran exist, and actually do something to meaningfully impact the game state other than a value lottery. You're allowed to do strong things in Modern.
>>
>>47439223
Cascade into discard is no value? Do they not have cards in hand? Or dudes in play to hit for 2? Or artifacts?
>>
>>47433522
It actually getting it's etb against uxx.....
>>
>>47438178
Zombie Hunt is fun. Not competitive and it's fragile, but it's fun for $20.
>>
>>47439795
Cascade into IoK/Seize, Cascade into removal vs an open board, cascade into a creature you don't need, all are more likely than a Kommand with target saturation. All of which read "2RG: lose the game because you played this instead of Kalitas." All that tempo is worthless if you whiff a blind cascade, and you could literally make a better play on 4 mana.

You can make a stronger argument for banning Kalitas than BBE, he enables more, catches you up better, locks out many decks, gives you more value over time, and is significantly more resilient, yet literally nobody complains about him.
>>
>>47440450
>Cascade into removal vs an open
Not to mention that a blue deck can wait for the cascade to flip, then either let you whiff it, or flash in a snap-counter and block to 1-for-1 your curve topper or blank it. Congrats, you paid 2RG for a blank 3/2
>>
>>47440512
>>47440450
Is there really no deck for BBE where you don't run so many situational cards?

Or is Modern a format where every card is super situational? I hear Zoo is terrible now.
>>
>>47412284
Why doesn't grishoalbrand see more play?

Is it because it's going to be banned? It looks really fun and I'm thinking of building it
>>
>>47440819
It's because it is really inconsistent. Sure, some games it just auto wins. But about 55%-60% of the time it just auto loses.
>>
File: IMG_20160525_113328.jpg (281 KB, 1168x1337) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160525_113328.jpg
281 KB, 1168x1337
Time for upside-down, downside-up, shardless agent.
>>
File: Rrrurus.png (144 KB, 393x390) Image search: [Google]
Rrrurus.png
144 KB, 393x390
>Wednesday = comic shop spree
>Buy 3 Battle for Zendikar boosters
>Get Lumbering Falls, Cinder Glade and Barrage Tyrant

I want more cinder glades and more lumbering falls! MORE!
>>
File: image.png (216 KB, 600x374) Image search: [Google]
image.png
216 KB, 600x374
I need Bant

What's a good Bant deck
>>
>>47440994
Is this an alter, or are all chink shardlesses like this?
>>
File: IMG_20160525_112343.jpg (2 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160525_112343.jpg
2 MB, 4160x3120
>>47441153
It's how the Chinese ones are
>>
>>47441153
There are english and jap versions from china man. English version is fine, jap has the flipped art.

>>47441166
It's japanese.
>>
>>47441202
I'm aware the language is Japanese. It's still a Chinese card. As evidenced by the box from China in my post
>>
>>47435864
My meta is absurdly Burn heavy so i run it as a one of in my sideboard to help in the mirror. It was either that or Sanctimony.
>>
>>47440450
Man, blow it out your ass. BBE reads "pay 4 mana for a 2 for 1 at least." Cascading into literally anything in Junds lists is value town.

Tarmogoyf? Extra threat
Inquisition/ Size/ Lili? Good luck casting spells.
KCommands a literal 3 for 1.

Nigga, there's a reason BBE is banned.
>>
File: Ezuri, Claw of Progress.png (131 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Ezuri, Claw of Progress.png
131 KB, 223x311
>>47412284

Question for M/TG/.

>Ezuri, Claw of Progress
>Whenever a creature with power 2 or less enters the battlefield under your control, you get an experience counter.

Now, say I have a card to bring out a 1/1 Elf Warrior, and something else that gives +1/+1 to all elves. The Elf token enters as a 1/1, but quickly becomes a 2/2. That is my understanding of it.

Now let's assume I have something else that gives creatures I control +1/+1 when they enter the battlefield. So my Elf Tokens are put onto the battlefield as 3/3.

My question is as follows:

>Does it (Elf Token) enter as a 1/1, and therefore trigger Ezuri, Claw of Progress's ability for an experience counter, and afterwards the passive abilities kick in to bump it to a 3/3

or

>Do the passive abilities kick in before it enters, and so it physically enters as a 3/3, and therefore will not trigger Ezuri, Claw of Progress's ability?

I'm inclined to believe that it enters as a 1/1, triggers his ability, and the additional boost to P/T comes in once it is "verified" - I.E. nobody counters / returns / kills / exiles / sacrifices / etc.

I just wanted to be sure before I start playing around with ideas was all. Thanks in advance!
>>
>>47441731
Ezuri is not modern legal
>>
>>47441892

Oh, thought he was. We just play Casual.

I'll move the question to the Casual board then.
>>
File: image:98746.jpg (54 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image:98746.jpg
54 KB, 312x445
Playable for a budget Jund?
>>
>>47441589
Meanwhile, Kalitas reads "Company cannot win the game, crack back against Burn and aggro, and Affinity needs Galvanic Blast in hand or lethal in the air to win." You're allowed to do strong things in Modern, and nobody bitches about being Kalitas locked.

BBE is strong due to being able to get you into "two spells per turn" mode on turn 3, a pure tempo play. The card itself doesn't do anything special, a 3/2 for 2RG is dumpster tier. The cascade is rarely a blowout, Blightning hits harder than Kommand, and faster, but was considered fine and is extremely relegated. It was coming out on T3 that caused problems.

Practically any situation where BBE is goat is a situation where Kalitas, P&K, or Voldaren would provide better inevitability. If BBE doesn't create a value vortex that spirals the game out of control (by flipping one of the currently useless spells, or god help you a creature), you not only lose, but you would have been better off playing literally any other creature in the toolbox.

It was banned because DRS existed, and Wizards is a fan of the roulette ban. It's still on the list for the same reason GSZ and Top are banned, and why AV and Sword were banned for so long: They just forgot to unban it after figuring out the problem.
>>
>>47442061
Behold everybody: a scrublord proving themselves shittier with every post.
>>
>>47442061
Top is banned the same reason second sunrise is banned. It creates a logistical problem. It was never looked at for a ban because of power concerns.
>>
>>47441116
Bant Eldrazi just top 8'd a GP
>>
>>47442061
I play Burn. Kalitas is like the least of my worries. Tap out on turn 4 to play him and ill just skullcrack and swing next turn and go through him with multiple creatures. Hes the least of Burns problem cards. Id hate to see an Obstinate Baloth more which is the same CMC.
>>
>>47440819
Any grishoalbrand players here that would like to weigh in?
>>
>>47441731
If it's a static ability, as in "all creatures get +1/+1" then they enter with their altered stats. If the ability is a trigger, such as "whenever a creature enters the field give it +1/+1" then they enter as 1/1s.
>>
>>47442862
It already got answered. The deck has a potential for cheese, but in most instances it'll fail to go off, and if your opponent is packing blue, it's also pretty easy to counter.
>>
>>47442989
Pact of negation and Boseiju help with that
>>
>>47443030
It's also just really easy to pop Relic in response to Goryo's.
>>
>>47442862
because sometimes you can hit all your dig spells and not see the combo. I played the deck for almost a year, and quit it because it was frustrating to pilot. The deck loses to itself.
>>
>>47443087
You're not going to attempt the combo with a Relic sitting there. Plays through the breach as well
>>
I'm going to be entering a tournament this weekend at a large convention, but the event is late night so I dunno how big it'll end up being. Could you guys take a look at my list and tell me what I should adjust, mainly in what I'm packing in the side?

Creatures (26):
4 Lord of Atlantis
4 Master of the Pearl Trident
4 Merrow Reejerey
4 Silvergill Adept
4 Cursecatcher
2 Master of Waves
2 Harbinger of the Tides
2 Phantasmal Image

Spells (14):
4 Aether Vial
4 Spreading Seas
2 Vapor Snag
2 Echoing Truth
2 Spell Pierce

Lands (20):
4 Mutavault
4 Wanderwine Hub
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge
10 Island

Sideboard (15):
2 Chalice of the Void
2 Pithing Needle
2 Hurkyl's Recall
2 Relic of Progenitus
2 Hibernation
2 Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
3 Tidebinder Mage

The lack of Cavern is a conscious choice. The tl;dr is that I don't especially feel the need for it's uncounterable effect, I don't need the color fixing, and I don't feel like having a fifth colorless source in regards to my noncreature spells.
>>
>>47442862
Used to play it. Didn't really care about counter magic and it usually won pretty quickly, but it also looses to itself a lot. I was tired of not being able to do things, so I reworked it into a grixis control/reanimator thing. I like it a lot.
>>
>>47438878
>>47439110
>>47440178
Thanks.
>>
>>47443362
Why no Kira main board? And why no Spellskite? Just curious.
>>
>>47443990
I used to play Kira MB, but I found it was better to focus more on the aggro plan game 1, and then switch into something more passive as the match-up dictates. As for Spellskite, it's generally agreed between Merfolk players that it doesn't do a ton for the deck, especially with Kira around.
>>
File: 1460373950727.png (312 KB, 311x445) Image search: [Google]
1460373950727.png
312 KB, 311x445
>>47444041
Guess I'll take a look at my list a bit more. I've been running 2 Kira and 2 Spellskite MB for awhile in place of Cursecatcher because he doesn't do much past turn 2 and occasionally turn 3.
>>
>>47444203
Cursecatcher is often what gets sided out for me, but honestly once you have a lord or two out, being able to slap down a 2/2 or a 3/3 for U feels real nice. He also helps you establish board control in the first few turns, both by being a body and by being a counter if needed.
>>
File: image:98761.jpg (62 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image:98761.jpg
62 KB, 312x445
Spicy sideboard tech against Ancestral Visions
>>
File: image:98762.jpg (38 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image:98762.jpg
38 KB, 312x445
Is Goblins viable in Modern? I feel like Piledriver is a good boost but its still missing something to make it not "Worse Burn but tribal lol"
>>
>>47444607

It's not burn, it's closer to zoo. If you want to be cute, try Goblin King and Blood Moon.
>>
There should be an app for MODO that screencaptures your draft/sealed cards and tells you which one to value pick at a glance.
>>
>>47444607
8 whack is pretty alright.
>>
File: the ol' spicy keychain.jpg (242 KB, 845x1036) Image search: [Google]
the ol' spicy keychain.jpg
242 KB, 845x1036
>>47444529
AAaaauuuaaaagh! My cards! My cards are red hot!
Dominic you devil, you weren't keeping the red mana up for lightning bolt! You were heating up my cards for the Ol' Spicy Sideboard.

How could you give your own brother the Spicy Sideboard, Dominic?!
>>
>>47443362
4 Wanderwine Hubs seems like a lot. You must have been really afraid of choke/boil. I think it, in combination with silvergill, gives away too much information for very little value. As for the rest of the deck, it's hard to say what you should adjust without a metagame breakdown. You're doing a lot of hedging, which is fine as it means you have game against the majority of decks, but it leads to a weaker deck overall against those decks. Also, the caverns gives you more game against control decks without having to use up spell slots, which may still be worth it.
I prefer Dismember over echoing, but you have less nonblue sources, so I suppose its fine. You're sacrificing efficiancy for versatility, which is another sign of hedging. I've always been a fan of Kira, and with jund being one of the most popular decks in the format, and UWR control rising in popularity, I think Kira in MB is worth sacrificing a little synergy. Overall, the deck looks fine, though I like to be a little more creature dense. The only minor problem is that you're hedging your matchups, which is still fine, imo. By that, I mean you're weakening your aggro plan by playing less creature in favor of cards like spell pierces.
>>
>>47444706
top lel
>>
>>47444607
There's no real reason to play it over other aggro decks.
>>
>>47444793
That's pretty spot on. When I was constructing the list, I was trying to do so in a way that would let me cover as many bases as possible, and I found bending it more towards the tempo side of the scale helped with that.

As far as the hubs go, I put those guys in in response to some folks in my local meta starting to side Choke/Boil. In terms of revealing information, I try to to only reveal something that I'm going to play that same turn, or something that my opponent can obviously infer is in my hand.

Good perspective though, definitely gives me a bit to consider before the event.
>>
>>47444706
Tbh i dont know if id actually run the card. Its just too narrow. But its hilarious to think about blowing someone out with it.
>>
>>47444944
Just remand it
>>
File: OblivionedOne.png (16 KB, 799x357) Image search: [Google]
OblivionedOne.png
16 KB, 799x357
>new format announced in a few days

Are you ready, bros? It could be anything.
>Legacy without Reserved List
>Modern + any non-promo, non-FTV card printed in Modern border
>Modern + Masters sets

I'm ready.
>>
>>47445286
Honestly, this could be explosive
>>
>>47445286
I would cum pretty hard.
>>
>>47445312
Explosive as in popular or powerful? Or something else?

Because yes, losing the duals, Cradle, LED, Tabernacle, Mox Diamond and other cards would still make the format very strong.
>>
>>47445286
Neo-Modern. Only legal cards are cards with the new card frame.

As someone who plays ANT in legacy, I am conflicted.
>>
File: Fireblast.jpg (33 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Fireblast.jpg
33 KB, 223x310
>>47445286
Are you Burnbros ready to set ablaze?
>>
>>47445346
Popular. So many people use the expense of cards like Mox and dual lands as a reason to never play vintage or legacy.

I know so many people that would actually attempt, at least, to get into a new legacy.
>>
>>47445401
I don't see the appeal. It isn't like the reserve list cards are the only broken cards.
>>
>>47445451
I didn't say anything about being broken
>>
>>47445451
Some cards on the reserved list are needlessly expensive. Duals are the greatest impediment to new players joining older formats.
>>
>>47444920

>little pesky green men
>not a reason to play it

I played goblin deck back in 2005 and I'm quite happy to continue to do so. I wouldn't recommend it for a primary deck unless someone is on a budget.
>>
>>47442015
does nothing of which jund wants to be doing which is either killing all your shit or apply pressure.
>>
>>47442015
Used to be played in Standard Jund. In Modern, it's been supplanted by Finks, which isn't even played MB anymore. For budget Jund it's playable.
>>
>>47445502
>>47445546
I know? I am just saying that it isn't a good reason for not playing Legacy. The reason for not playing Legacy is because it is a format held up only by inertia and misplaced nostalgia while featuring some of the most obvious mistakes in development ever imagined.
>>
>>47445708
You're autistic, aren't you?
>>
>>47445708
>inertia and misplaced nostalgia while featuring some of the most obvious mistakes in development ever imagined.
Ok, Ill take the bait, how?
>>
File: 1443623766195.jpg (41 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1443623766195.jpg
41 KB, 700x700
>>47445286

>bogles with playable Argothian Enchantress and Ancestral Mask
>>
>>47442692
That's not true, long time burn player here. Obstinate Baloth is not good, it's a neccisary evil for dels that auto lose to burn. It is so way to predict it coming out and the decks that play that are so slow you can afford to play tight. Kalitas is a consistent source of life gain that can flood a board and then Voltron himself for more life gain. Typically he's not to hard to play around because of my 7 skull cracks but he is worse for sure
>>
Whatever this new format is, I hope Affinity is still playable.
>>
>>47445946
we know one thing for sure

delver will be a deck
>>
>>47445951
I'm more worried about Eldrazi desu.
>>
>>47445880
>>47445838
I'm not baiting, but I am super biased, you guys probably don't want to hear it. The legacy players at our shop are super smug and it is infuriating the way they discuss the ins-and-outs of the format compared to others.

I'll admit it is very diverse, very interactive and features incredibly difficult decision making. I'm not the sort of scrub who calls it a turn-1/turn-2 format, because it isn't.

But I do genuinely believe that the only reason people consider such things as near omnipresence of Brainstorm as great features of the format rather than flaws is because that's the way it has always been.
>>
>>47446073
Brainstorm reduces variance, which is a good thing. Yes, it makes the format more blue, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. And there are decks that pray on those cantrip heavy decks.
>>
File: explain.png (162 KB, 1121x576) Image search: [Google]
explain.png
162 KB, 1121x576
Can anyone explain what am I looking at?
>>
>>47446210
>Expecting BRs to be smart enough to understand the rules of MTG

That's your first mistake anon.
>>
>>47446210
An ally deck with 8 Ally Encampments. What's there to explain?
>>
>>47446204
It is just a different set of priorities, ultimately, but I do think the audience for the format is smaller than people think (even if the cards were all suddenly cheap).

I shouldn't have lashed out. Thanks for responding even-handedly. And I know each color has a place in Legacy, but with each deck being separated into fair/unfair and blue/not blue, I can't help but feel there are genuine issues with that format.

Which isn't to say it isn't healthy, fun to play or imbalanced. It is subjective. My friend plays Nic Fit, an Abzan deck that plays some of the most fair MTG in Legacy I've ever seen and does pretty well. Painter-Grindstone and Burn are completely different archetypes for monored, a color that supposedly has the least variety.
>>
>>47445286
As long as Jund is a Tier 1 deck, I am ready. Twin and Pod might be too weak for such a format, but I'll definetely settle for a strong Jund deck with Hymn to Tourach.
>>
>>47445951
i would cum so hard. I want Delver to be a deck in modern so bad.
>>
>>47447587
>>47445323

Alright man we get it, you like to beat off to cards.
>>
File: Cyborg Grandpa G.jpg (31 KB, 639x424) Image search: [Google]
Cyborg Grandpa G.jpg
31 KB, 639x424
>>47445286

>Momir Advanced
>>
>>47444529

I actually have a brew with this card. I'm basically trying to recreate the old Runeflare Trap combo deck that was part of Alara/Zen standard into Modern. Only reason why i'm doing it is because Fevered Visions exists and helps work out better.
>>
>>47445286
I'd be kind of pissed, because my cradles would'nt be playable.
>>
>>47430875
as an affinity player i can say i have lost maybe 2 out of 20 matches i've played through my local regionals, fnms, opens, etc. all you have to do is play 1 spellskite and they either have the path or they don't
>>
>>47445286

I hope it's like Super-Extended or something
>>
>>47447641
It's a problem...
>>
>>47447662
YOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
File: 1369027172706.jpg (26 KB, 364x368) Image search: [Google]
1369027172706.jpg
26 KB, 364x368
>>47445286
>the format is all the cards released with the curved card format that started in M15
>call it the "Post-Modern" format
>>
>>47448739
Allied coloured fetches would be legal, it could turn into an interesting format eventually.
That being said, it would suck for the first couple of years.
>>
Guys, what if it's a format where only cards from 7th Ed/Onslaught and back were legal?
>>
>>47448835
then the format gets stagnated and boring very fast
>>
>>47448866
So it'd be just like Vintage, Legacy, and Modern then?
>>
>>47448880
that's an awfully uninformed statement
>>
>>47448888
>this

>>47448880
What do you mean by that? I'm not trying to bait here, I just want an explanation.
>>
>>47448835
No changes to the cardpool except bans (which shouldn't occur much)? Sounds boring.
>>
>>47448953
I was mostly being cheeky, and Modern has had some steady upheavals in recent memory (Pod ban, Twin ban). This is mostly a question in regards to Legacy and Vintage. How many years has it been since something happened that truly changed the way those formats were played?
>>
>>47448978
Well, Legacy has recently had Eldrazi become a deck.
But as I only own one Vintage deck (Minus Six), I have no real opinion.
Frankly, I think there's still plenty of room for interesting changes in Vintage.
>>
>>47449001
New decks pop in and out of formats all the time. Unless the deck makes such a splash that the rest of the format has to actively adjust to it, it doesn't really mean anything.
>>
>>47448978
Lodestone Golem was just restricted in vintage, also Monastery Mentor is a powerhouse
>>
>>47449030
See>>47449090
This is the point I'm, more or less, trying to make.
>>
>>47448978

Gush being unrestricted a while back has made Gush decks pretty prevalent in Vintage and then as of recent Lodestone Golem being restricted.

As for Legacy well only thing really is Dig Through Time and Treasure Cruise being banned.
>>
File: 1458521565279.jpg (19 KB, 693x472) Image search: [Google]
1458521565279.jpg
19 KB, 693x472
Ways to tutor up a 1 mana creature and equipment in modern?
>>
>>47449390
Ranger of Eos and Steelshaper's Gift.
>>
>>47449390
http://magiccards.info/query?q=f%3Amodern+o%3Asearch+o%3Aequipment&v=card&s=cname

http://magiccards.info/query?q=f%3Amodern+o%3Asearch+o%3Acreature+o%3A%22converted+mana+cost+%22&s=cname&v=card&p=1

You probably want Ranger of Eos.
>>
>>47449390
Trinket Mage
Infernal Tutor
>>
File: 1459534672052.jpg (168 KB, 425x450) Image search: [Google]
1459534672052.jpg
168 KB, 425x450
>>47445286
>mfw extended comes back
>>
>>47449390

Trinket Mage, Ranger of Eos, Steelshaper's Gift. I guess Open the Armory technically still works as well for an equipment.
>>
File: knobgobblers.png (21 KB, 854x279) Image search: [Google]
knobgobblers.png
21 KB, 854x279
working on this shit
>>
>>47451473
play burn or 8whack
>>
File: 18.jpg (71 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
18.jpg
71 KB, 312x445
>>47445389

I'd be more excited for this.
>>
Truly, there is no greater joy in life than equipping a Mirran Crusader with a Sword of War and Peace.
>>
Hey guys, because there is no legacy general I figured I'd ask here.

I have a junk nic fit deck and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on athreos going into it.
>>
>>47452296
Try it. Nic Fit can run a lot of bad cards.
>>
File: image.png (570 KB, 600x592) Image search: [Google]
image.png
570 KB, 600x592
a little brew I'm making with my current stock what do you all think? Barely put the concept together right now and I'm pretty scrubby at mtg in general so advice is welcome.

1 Smoldering Marsh
3 Evolving Wilds
1 Forest
2 Sacred Foundry
4 Island
1 Sunken Hollow
2 Canopy Vista
2 Plains
1 Swamp
2 Prairie Stream
2 Hallowed Fountain
2 Mountain
23 lands

2 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
2 Zur the Enchanter
2 Disciple of the Ring
2 Sage of Ancient Lore
8 creatures

4 Spell Pierce
4 Mana Leak
3 Idyllic Tutor
1 Price of Knowledge
2 Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded
4 Fevered Visions
3 Day's Undoing
4 Manamorphose
4 Counterspell
29 other spells
>>
File: Let the fun begin.jpg (64 KB, 418x305) Image search: [Google]
Let the fun begin.jpg
64 KB, 418x305
Is Naya Burn fun?
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/master-of-salt-1/

Do you think it might work? If it does, I'll make the land base better
>>
>>47447850
Lately Spellskite has been balls in my meta, whether it's Dismember/Twisted Image in Infect or Path/Nature's Claim in Bogles, my Spellskites are always dying.

The Infect decks at my FLGS have started playing Twisted Images in the main.
>>
>>47452907
>Counterspell
>days undoing
>Zur
>tibalt
Okay bait master
>>
>>47452907
>Price of Knowledge
>Counterspell

This deck almost doesn't look like complete garbage, but first of all, you can't play either of those.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 48

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.