[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Things in fantasy/scifi art which trigger you. Pic related:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 22
File: invasion_by_kerembeyit-d4ocm2o.jpg (1 MB, 1600x796) Image search: [Google]
invasion_by_kerembeyit-d4ocm2o.jpg
1 MB, 1600x796
ITT: Things in fantasy/scifi art which trigger you.

Pic related: airships that are literally just boats hanging from balloons.

inb4 boobplates
>>
That's a pretty cool picture.
>>
>>47397389
You don't like fantastic things in your fantasy?
>getaloadofthisguy.joeg
>>
File: you fail art forever.jpg (89 KB, 500x469) Image search: [Google]
you fail art forever.jpg
89 KB, 500x469
Impossible/retarded anatomy
>>
>>47397525
So basically you hate stylization.
>>
>>47397525
Clearly she's an alien from the X-COM series anon. Just a creepy little alien monster that'll have sexy fun time with you.
>>
>Mono cultures
>Mono religions
>Mono aliens
>Arbitrary "historical realism"
>>
>>47398577
Do not sexy fun time with an ayy.
>>
>>47398563
No, what I think anon is trying to say is that her breasts arnt realistically big enough
>>
>>47398589
#1 rule of science fiction: don't put your dick in it.
>>
>>47397389
>airships that are literally just boats hanging from balloons.
Why? I love these. How would a european medieval fantasy culture build them?
>>
>>47397389
It's acceptable if they land and take off from water.
>>
File: TinyFeet.jpg (66 KB, 500x703) Image search: [Google]
TinyFeet.jpg
66 KB, 500x703
>>47397389
Feet and hands which are clearly too small to use for anything. This character wouldn't be good for anything combat related. I don't even know if she could actually play that instrument she's holding. Her middle finger is already fully extended and her thumb isn't long enough to cover the remaining strings. I'm not even sure how she maintains balance on those two little pegs she calls feet.

Obviously this only applies when the artist doesn't stylize everything out the ass.
>>
>>47397389
But they are AIR SHIPS.

What more do you want

>fighters charging with sword and shield against fuck heug enemies.
There are so many ways to convey that this guy is still a fighter while being someone reasonable in his combat capacity. A fucking harpoon, javelin, any kind of two handed weapon, seriously not a sword and a shield.
>>
>>47398579
>>Mono religions
Explain.
>>
>>47397389
When the artist clearly wants to go full Warcraft-mode with PAULDRONS and HUEG ARMOR but chickens out halfway through.

I hate this discount Warcraft art where it feels like they didn't remember to reign themselves in until they were three quarters done with the design. Either go all the way or don't bother.
>>
>>47398633
A European medieval fantasy culture almost certainly wouldn't. But a fantasy one might. Magic jets, magic hover crystal, magic floating spell; whatever.

But from a realist/nonmagic perspective airships are basically just fatally underdeveloped blimps.
Balloon too small, ship too heavy, and that's just to start.

Blimps would be possible, of course, but they rely on lots of technology that didn't become available until later; this defeats the "medieval" thing you specified.
>>
>>47398972
That grip on the sword triggers me badly
>>
>Humans

>bourgeois aesthetics

>linear narrativity
>>
>>47398972
Warcraft is just a 40k ripoff anyway
>>
>>47397389

Monarchs don't use regnal numbers, so each one has a unique name.

I don't know why the fuck it annoys me, but it does.
>>
>>47397389

Science fiction being treated like gospel, spacex being shown having a future, etc etc. Pretense to realism while being completely unrealistic? Fuck that, be honest.
>>
>>47398633

If magic exists, people will just use teleportation, not stupid huge easily destroyed ships.
>>
>>47399185
Maybe the setting is high-magic enough to have powered airships but not high-magic enough for teleportation, somehow?
>>
>>47397525
And this guy continues to get work as a high profile artist in the comic book industry. It's fucking insane.

Rob Liefeld is the definition of a hack.
>>
>>47397389
>trigger
we tumblr nao?
>>
>>47399185
maybe you can't use teleportation on cargo, or large amounts of people.
or hey, maybe teleportation, doesn't allow you to fire cannons from the fucking sky like a badass
>>
>>47398972

Bouncing off this: any armor design where the boot toe curls up or is pointy. Makes a character look like they're wearing elf shoes and it always looks dumb.
>>
To an extent, "space is an ocean and we're doing space wars like ww2".

It's not TERRIBLE, it's just unimaginative to do it always like that.

>>47398604

I dunno, Kirk did it no problem.
>>
>>47399234
"continues to get work" is not completely accurate. Last I checked he was semi-retired. A lot of the stuff he does now is on his own.
>>
>>47398563
All things said and done, it's actually weirdly easy to spot when someone's adapting a solid knowledge of anatomy and the craft in general, into a style.
Often, it's more about proportion, or exaggerating/minimizing certain aspects of things in particular ways.
There's a certain deliberateness and clarity of purpose behind stylization; there are things you do and things you tend not to do. And even when you do something that you shouldn't, but on purpose, you present that thing proudly - you don't try to hide it and sort of fudge it in by obscuring it.

This is just a bunch of classic mistakes and general fudgery.
>>
>>47399234
You know that Neil Gaiman quote about how you can get work if you have two out of three qualities: Fast, Nice, and Good?

It's well known which ones he has.
>>
>>47399231
>Maybe the setting is high-magic enough to have powered airships but not high-magic enough for teleportation, somehow?
>>47399282
>maybe you can't use teleportation on cargo, or large amounts of people.
Kinda gamey. Surely some wizard would figure it out unless the world is so low magic that wizards are largely pointless.

>or hey, maybe teleportation, doesn't allow you to fire cannons from the fucking sky like a badass
Teleportation would allow you to bomb indiscriminately and just port in a shitload of soldiers/golems/whatever.

>>47399324
>To an extent, "space is an ocean and we're doing space wars like ww2".
>It's not TERRIBLE, it's just unimaginative to do it always like that.

And yet it is 90% of science fiction. Shame how humanity really doesn't give a shit about space after all.
>>
>>47399185
What makes you think teleportation is even possible in this setting?
>>
>>47399416
I don't think it's for a lack of want. Most people just prefer to stick to what they know, or simply cannot create stuff too divorced from what they know.

Authors and other creators might have the ability to imagine stuff more interesting or realistic, but they might limit themselves for the sake of the audience.
>>
>>47399430
In most settings, is magic researched or is there just a finite list of spells like out of a video game?

If you make a fireball that doesn't kill you in it's casting, you're already breaking several rules of the universe. Teleportation would be about equivalent, since moving you would create energy.
>>
>>47397439
Boats is just fucking lazy. There's nothing imaginative or fantastic about it, you just took a shape that makes sense for a water-going vessel and put a balloon on it and called it a day.
>>
>>47399324
I honestly think if and when humanity lives in a spacefaring era we will refer to spaceships like ships and use nautical terminology for them, simply because this trope is so prevalent.
>>
>>47399495
Maybe it's not about being totally fantastical? Maybe it's about juxtaposition of things people are familiar with?
>>
>>47399449
>Authors and other creators might have the ability to imagine stuff more interesting or realistic, but they might limit themselves for the sake of the audience.

right. I was saying it's sad that that's the best we're capable of. We'll never be a species with the majority of our interests being complex or deep, our average iq is too low.
>>
>>47399449

But it's just Star Wars. That's the problem.

Ad least do it like napoleonic naval warfare, what the hell.
>>
>>47399511
That's making the massive and romantic assumption that they'd be manned at all.
>>
>>47399532
I have no doubt drones will be very practical and utilitarian, but man will travel in space if it is practical to do so for the mere reason that man will want to travel in space. It's in our nature.
>>
>>47399495

What would be imaginative?

I mean, what is actually imaginative these days? We kinda ran dry a few centuries ago. Most shit is just some old story with a new element.
>>
>>47399558
Gothic cathedrals... AS SPACESHIPS.
>>
>>47399558
>We kinda ran dry a few centuries ago. Most shit is just some old story with a new element.
That's been the case pretty much literally since the invention of storytelling.
>>
>>47399557
>I have no doubt drones will be very practical and utilitarian, but man will travel in space if it is practical to do so for the mere reason that man will want to travel in space. It's in our nature.

No it isn't. We explore to exploit. You been to mount everest lately? When we don't need to go somewhere, we tend not to. We're very energy efficient that way. Shit, we were planning on making all the telecommunication satellites manned until the microchip was invented. Ruined the whole thing, we were going to have shitloads living in working in space, but the beancounters found a better way of sending signals over the horizon.

What happened to "our nature" then?
>>
File: mage.png (238 KB, 1422x906) Image search: [Google]
mage.png
238 KB, 1422x906
>color didn't exist in medieval times
>>
>>47399522

Nah. It's not like the basics of "realistic" sci-fi space combat are that terrible to grasp.

In the end it's that you have no horizon nor stealth, big "guns" but limited energy and range. Sure, people will not get why we should (for example) use hohmann transfer orbits but it's not that much of a stretch.

>>47399594

Funnily enough Everest has a (pretty terrible) industry for rich people to go on the top of it. I don't think Elon Musk is that crazy with his idea about Mars.
>>
>>47399558
It's very rare to find something that is truly, honestly, 100% unique - something that draws no inspiration from anything whatsoever. This may be a philosophical case, but it's possible that such a thing literally does not exist.

But that doesn't mean something with no imagination at all should be accepted because "everything has been done." You can take the basic concepts of "airships which are more like naval vessels in scope" and still add more thought and creativity than "put a balloon on a naval vessel, call it done."

The reason I Take exception to it is that it's lazy as hell.
>>
>>47399594
>You been to mount everest lately?
Tens of thousands of people a year climb Everest just because they fucking can. Even US Presidents have, quite seriously, stated a desire to put men on Mars. Why? What can a man do on Mars that a rover the size of an SUV packed with a billion dollar's worth of sophisticated lab equipment can't?

We don't do these things because they're practical, we do these things because they're awesome. And you're showing your age, anon - having a huge network of telecom satellites that can instantly communicate with anyone anywhere on the planet is massively fucking awesome.
>>
>>47399643
>Nah. It's not like the basics of "realistic" sci-fi space combat are that terrible to grasp.

They're not hard to grasp, they're hard to make entertaining for general audiences.

In the end it will take months for engagements (another reason for drone ships), not look anything like we expect, play out more like das boot both in tension and in running length, and will likely alienate most folks who think you fall out of orbit once you leave the mothership.

I'd love it.

>Funnily enough Everest has a (pretty terrible) industry for rich people to go on the top of it.

So you're saying only rich people will go to space? Because everest has a lot in common with space, and we don't see a lot of people living there, regardless of technology existing to enable them to.

>I don't think Elon Musk is that crazy with his idea about Mars.

We're kind of fucked if he doesn't pull that off to some degree. He should have done it on the moon though, wouldn't have been half as hard.
>>
>>47399643
Orbital mechanics are just really complicated and often counterintuitive. You'd spend so long explaining what happens and why that you'd lose your audience. That's why almost all scifi ignores it.
>>
>>47399731
Going to the moon has been done, and they probably feel like shooting for the stars for the current marketing push.
>>
>>47399757

Unfortunately it makes it far more unlikely. Mars is so goddamned far. Can musk even use nuclear engines?
>>
>>47399303
historical prescedent exists for ludicrously pointy armor toes: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabaton

Obviously impractical for walking, but useful in mounted combat. Also, a lot of armor design >>47399303
>>47399303
is more ornamental than practical (look at roman chestplates with sculpted six abs).
>>
>>47397389
The "Dungeon World" logo or the PbtA seal somewhere in the image.
>>
>>47397389
How to trigger autists on /tg/:
>any art with anime girls
>anime girls
>anime in general
>"unrealistic" armor
>>
>>47399477
That's a retarded false equivalence. Just because they're not the laws YOU KNOW doesn't mean that purely anything's possible.
>>
>>47399234
Rob hardly ever does art himself anymore. Mostly, he acts as a patron to help other artists get a leg up.

Shitty art, but a seriously nice guy.
>>
>>47400147

woah, calm down.
>>
File: legs that go all the way up.png (203 KB, 201x682) Image search: [Google]
legs that go all the way up.png
203 KB, 201x682
>>47400162
>a leg up
tell me about it
>>
>>47400162
the bloodpouch muscleteeth look is somewhat nostalgic to me

it's undeniably bad, but I can't hate it
>>
>>47399185
What if wizards aren't all that common? You could get a wizard to build you some airships that can go fuck shit up by dropping rocks or oil on shit you don't like rather than maybe teleporting in one wizard (who dies to a bolt as quickly as anyone else) and like 4 or 5 guys

Airships could definitely have reasons to exist in a low/medium magic setting. Obviously if everyone is teleporting around like a maniac they're a bit pointless but that's not most settings.
>>
>>47400294

Look, if you want to make a shitload of convoluted excuses to allow airships, that's your deal. But in most worldw with magic mass teleportation of goods will be the ultimate means of moving things if the people in it have any sense.

Airships are the mechs of fantasy. They look cool, but they're utterly worthless.
>>
>>47399303
IIRC, Sikh battle gear includes pointy metal shoes.
>>
>>47400246
Same, really. I 100% know it's bad, and would hate for it to pop up again.

But I can't begrudge it existing in the past.
>>
>>47400374
The Sikhs aren't exactly known for being a practical or warlike people.
>>
>>47398563
tom preston pls go
>>
>>47399731

>In the end it will take months for engagements (another reason for drone ships),

So like actual war? It's not like in ww2 you enlisted and boom, Midway next day.

I think if anything people could have some problems if the actual engagment is more on the minutes scale than the hours scale. But I dunno, honestly I'm optimistic: realistic space warfare wouldn't be "just a shoot". Missile take time, lasers can't hit the target for sure and (probably) annihilate it in one hit anymore than just a barrage could fuck up the foe during the 1700s.
Neither I think computers would do it all.

>the only real thing that wouldn't be there are space fighters

>So you're saying only rich people will go to space?

Well, it's not like people just climb the Everest. I think it is possible that milionnaire dreamers go to Mars, then lesser rich people, than maybe the average Joe could.

>>47399754

Ah, but that's not more necessary than explaining how engines worked on a warship in ww2. (well, ok, it should be CONSIDERED anyway, but it's not like you need an engeneering course to watch a war movie, is it?)
>>
>>47400477
>I think it is possible that milionnaire dreamers go to Mars, then lesser rich people, than maybe the average Joe could.

You mean like how we all have personal jets 30 years after they were introduced?

Or are some economics not scalable?
>>
>>47400432
>Sikhs
>Not known for being warlike

I mean, they don't often start fights with other people as far as I know, but they certainly did more than their fair shad of bloodying noses throughout India's history.
>>
File: Deathstroke-10-cover.jpg (335 KB, 900x1366) Image search: [Google]
Deathstroke-10-cover.jpg
335 KB, 900x1366
>>47400388
his most "recent" stuff that comes to mind is some Deathstroke and Deadpool stuff
i don't care for it per say, but its not terrible
>>
>>47400555
Fair enough.
>>
>>47399635
Color was expensive as fuark back then.
>>
>>47400477
>Ah, but that's not more necessary than explaining how engines worked on a warship in ww2.
Not really. All you need to know about an engine is that it makes the ship move. Movement in orbital mechanics is much more complex.
>>
>>47400997

all you need to know about orbital mechanics is that it lets you put the ship where it's needed.
>>
>>47400366
Just because teleportation is the best way to move things doesn't make it the most efficient.

Taking 5th edition rules cause I have them on hand.
Teleport is a 7th lvl spell. You need a 13th lvl wizard to cast it once a day, twice at 20th lvl.
Only allows 8 people or 10ft cube of stuff +wizard himself and comes with

if you don't have something freshly taken from the destination or a circle

a fairly significant chance of being off target or missing entirely.

Which brings us to the better option for mass movement of goods/people
Teleportation circles.
5th lvl spell so you need a 9th lvl wizard to cast it.
If cast every day for a year you get a permanent circle.
Now I imagine paying a wizard for a full year of their time to set this up is gunna cost you a fair amount. Certainly more than a small outpost or minor trade company can afford.

Not to mention the major wizard and trade guilds will probably want to keep a monopoly on these things. along with the security risks of having a bunch of open portals inside your city and I could easily see them being heavily regulated and taxed.

Now airships not only let you move goods and people overland much faster than roads, they also let you move stuff to places where circles haven't been setup yet.

To call them worthless shows you haven't really thought this through.
>>
>>47398563
"muh style" artists need to be gassed
The rules are intended to be bent, not broken shit eater.
>>
>>47400388

Yeah. It's just so...iconic.

Between that and honestly being a very nice guy by all accounts, he's one of those artists I can't bring myself to hate.

Frank Miller, on the other hand? That's another story. I honestly prefer Rob's art to a lot of the crap he's put out in stuff like Holy Terror. Not to mention the man himself.
>>
>>47399234

I met him once. Asked him if he would draw me one single pouch. He said he didn't know how.
>>
>>47401440
Exactly.
>>
>>47398579
In contrast I hate when motherfuckers shove arabs, asians, blacks, whites and "natives" in a "kingdom" the size of NY with no divergent climates or ecosystems.
>>
>>47398990
In my setting airships are literally blimps made from ultra-light wood and the deck is seaship-shaped because they dock in the waters.
Aerodromes a shit and they can double as sea-braving hoovercrafts.
>>
>>47401347
Consistency separates the wheat from the chaff. If you can't stay within the rules you've yourself set then there's a problem.
>>
>>47402270
Totally this. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for diversity, not just in humans, but in elves and dwarves and all that stuff, but they need to actually have a different culture and come from a different environment, instead of just being thrown into the same lot just for being humans.
That being said I love when there's some kind of city that actually has all those different cultures, races and ethnicities, in one place, but expresses these differences, like some kind of trade hub.
>>
>>47402913
>>47402270
It's completely feasible to come up with an explanation for why this would be the case.
It doesn't even have to be magic, it could just be mass immigration like half a dozen generations ago.
>>
Rage: a huge rocky planet in the horizon
Turborage: TWO rocky planets in the horizon
>>
File: Liefeldcaptainamerica.jpg (538 KB, 800x1075) Image search: [Google]
Liefeldcaptainamerica.jpg
538 KB, 800x1075
>>47399234
Never forget.
>>
>>47397389
>Character invents an amazing, genius weapon, 90% of the time its gunpowder, the other 10% is still some other shit we invented in the past.
>>
>>47398858
"People in this setting worship the Sun God."
"What other religions are there?"
"What do you mean 'other religions'?"

"Dwarves worship the dwarvish pantheon, consisting of these five gods."
"All dwarves?"
"Yes, all dwarves."
>>
>>47398990
>Blimps would be possible, of course, but they rely on lots of technology that didn't become available until later;
"They should use magic to make airships with jets and shit... but it would be totally unrealistic for them to use magic to make airships with blimps."
>>
>>47399416
>Kinda gamey. Surely some wizard would figure it out unless the world is so low magic that wizards are largely pointless.
Maybe somebody realized the "copy of a copy" problem, and everybody just agreed that teleportation was just going to be an existential nightmare anyway, so we should probably just scrap the idea entirely?
>>
File: tumblr_n37n1nrwz61qk2poao1_1280.jpg (75 KB, 786x1017) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n37n1nrwz61qk2poao1_1280.jpg
75 KB, 786x1017
>>47397389
Trigger is to strong a word, but some things being as prolific as they are annoy me.

Archers doing the slide pose when firing their bow, often for no reason at all. Or when they consistently placed in melee.
>>
File: 1333216643106.jpg (97 KB, 902x1600) Image search: [Google]
1333216643106.jpg
97 KB, 902x1600
>>47397389
Weapons and armor that get that plastic- and Styrofoam-look, like they are cosplay outfits.
>>
File: 1362940641597.jpg (446 KB, 628x1000) Image search: [Google]
1362940641597.jpg
446 KB, 628x1000
>>47397389
This is the forest.
Plants are green.
So of course the forest must have a green ambient haze, makes absolute sense.
Just put the lighting settings on green in the forest level.
>>
File: XV_Kingdom.png (2 MB, 1279x720) Image search: [Google]
XV_Kingdom.png
2 MB, 1279x720
Excessive waterfalls
>>
>>47399163
? What?
>>
Naming wizard and magicians something like "magee" or "sorecir" or some shit, only for the sake of difference. Same goes for elves becoming "eldreds" or dwarves being "dvargs" and all that crap.
I can understand it if you've got "elves" in your fantasy setting, so you name your space elves "eldar" because you need a way to differentiate them.
>>
File: zeppelin.jpg (60 KB, 800x572) Image search: [Google]
zeppelin.jpg
60 KB, 800x572
>>47397389
Tell me anon, does this trigger you?
>>
>>47407129
Do you have a visual or mental impediment?
>>
File: 135468323457.png (167 KB, 393x349) Image search: [Google]
135468323457.png
167 KB, 393x349
>>47407217
I see you are very hotheaded. I think you should see a shrink
>>
File: 1463887088663.png (3 MB, 1322x1839) Image search: [Google]
1463887088663.png
3 MB, 1322x1839
>>47399282
>the Wizard does a pirouette, tracing a magic circle with her foot and sending sparkly glitterdust everywhere
>the circle glows with an amber light, before firing a mystic beam into the heavens
>a huge pentagram stamps itself onto the target location, kicking up a thick cloud of dust
>the static in the air kickstarts a thunderstorm
>above, the atmosphere ignites as the meteor comes roaring down
>>
>>47407296
Hisoka pls, don't you have a farm to run?
>>
>>47399282
Could have anti magic shield preventing teleportation attempts.

Or maybe the fire elemental running the ship's engine gives off a raidiation effect that will scramble attempts to teleport,or at least force teleportation to happen on the furthest point from the engine to be successful
>>
>>47400432
They comprise the majority of India's 'warrior caste'.
>>
>>47400217
Her legs are longer than her head and torso combined.
>>
>>47398767
>land
>on water
wew lad
>>
File: R B314 cut-a-way drawing.jpg (873 KB, 1931x799) Image search: [Google]
R B314 cut-a-way drawing.jpg
873 KB, 1931x799
>>47399185
>>47399282
>>47399430
>>47400294
other possibilities include:
>Teleportation is hard, a few basic enchantments on an airship hull to help it fly, move at a reasonable clip, and still be sturdy and reliable is easy

A lot of people neglect just how practically basic cantrips can do wonders and the bigger spells are sort of one-and-done deals.

also, seeing as teleporting will sometimes involve moving through a space inbetween like the aetherial plane or pose some inherit danger (like in the Iron Kingdoms/warmahordes setting, which, oddly, lack airships), an airship is probably a better choice.

Or a very fast horse that gives no shits about terrain, food, or sleep.
>>
Going around in combat situations barefoot. literally only done because the creators are footfags.
>>
File: Skyshipgalerider.png (339 KB, 1008x784) Image search: [Google]
Skyshipgalerider.png
339 KB, 1008x784
>>47397389
But skyships are fucking awesome.
>>
>>47398767
Bad idea with an airship. The balloon will droop in the water, and your boat will capsize.

To be honest, I'd be down with a fantasy setting that had early float and biplanes. It'd make a nice change from the shitty airships. Trains I can take or leave, and cars I'm not so hot on. Big powered wagons are cool though, and so are motorbikes.

Do it all with magic, what do I care?
>>
>>47399324
Kirk only had consensual sex three times in all of TOS, every other time he was coerced or forced into it.

Of those times, at least two times were ones in which he thought he was going to die before ever seeing home again, and was kidnapped.
>>
File: female monk 4.jpg (126 KB, 549x800) Image search: [Google]
female monk 4.jpg
126 KB, 549x800
>>47407508
this. though it doesn't really annoy me, i still prefer cool looking footwear over bare feet. Probably why I never play halflings. Even monks i prefer to have like bandages on their feet at least
>>
>>47399185
The magic system in question might not allow for that. It also might have any number of restrictions or requirements that render it economically and/or strategically inferior to airships.
>>
>>47399477
Not necessarily, fantasy settings don't read off Newton's playbook or pay heed to Einstein.

Totally different laws of physics, let alone metaphysics.

>>47400432
>Sikhs
>not being a practical or warlike people

kek
>>
>>47398563

There's a limit to that. Even Michelangelo and Rodin stylized the anatomy of their subjects, but it was always within the bounds of reality. After an ill-defined point, you get less into stylization and more into uncanny valley or simply silly anatomy.

In a cartoony style (The Simpsons, Popeye, etc.) this is fine, as the rules of anatomy are pretty barebones and the style is more running off of caricature than realistic anatomy. But most superhero comics seem to aim for a more realistic style, and "stylization" that throws out realistic anatomy in a realistic style basically nets you bad art and sometimes unintentional body horror.

Nobody has a problem with the art of Team Fortress 2, but then the Spy gets glitched and starts crabwalking and things get silly. We have a million webms and gifs of WWE fighting games suffering from horrific glitches, and they're horrific because anatomy just went out the window and the human body is now stretching in ways our minds know to be impossible.
>>
>>47407540
>The balloon will droop in the water, and your boat will capsize.
Not if you give the balloon a rigid skeleton. That would be a little top-heavy, though, so you'd want to have some pontoons... probably retractable, though stationary pontoons could act as gunnery platforms while airborne.
>>
>>47407665
I feel like druids and monks can easily get away with the barefoot thing, druids especially... I mean, they're basically fantasy hippies, exactly the type of person you'd expect to run around with no shoes on.
>>
>retarded/impossible orbits
>>
File: 1451517706499.jpg (129 KB, 861x1131) Image search: [Google]
1451517706499.jpg
129 KB, 861x1131
>>47397389

Wizards who haven't dumped all their skill points into "Craft (Stone)" so that they can use flesh to stone on their lovers, carve them into their ideal shape and then use Stone to Flesh to convert them back to "normal".
>>
>>47410047
I can think of several ways that your idea could go horribly awry.
>>
>>47410316
Unfortunately, Pygmalion could not.
>>
>>47401053
So why are we boosting away from the ship we're trying to board, again?
>>
>>47399495
What if the explanation is they were sailing ships that were later modified to fly?
>>
>>47397389
Unless the setting goes to some lengths to explain how another kind of airship exists (wondrous lost technology! elemental-powered magic! ninjas!) then the reliable ol' dirigible makes the most sense.
>>
>>47413719

What if the airsacs are really parasitic mutant barnacles that attached themselves to the ships long ago and later began floating the ships around? If they've got no idea what helium or hydrogen are they're not going to be able to easily reproduce the same thing using technology and so must rely on floatacles attaching themselves to their ships and then floating them up.
>>
>>47398563
I can't build a better mousetrap if I don't know how a regular mousetrap works.
>>
>>47407526
Seriously. Spelljammer is one of the coolest fantasy settings ever created in any media. Although part of that is that mechanics of how it all works were way better thought out than "Just tie a big balloon onto it."
>>
>>47405995

The falls aren't as triggering to me as all of the sailboats. I mean, maybe a giant, whitewater rapids would be a good place for someone to put buildings for hydroelectric gennies, but WTF would all those wind powered boats be doing in a giant, whitewater rapids?

inb4 "Magic!"
Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.