[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
nanomachines
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 10
File: DNA-origami-units.jpg (50 KB, 720x471) Image search: [Google]
DNA-origami-units.jpg
50 KB, 720x471
what is the best use of nanomachines in any game?
>>
as PCs
>>
>>47390569
Kind of meme-y, but I really like when they come about as a surprise in a sci-fi setting. Something that's super uncommon, so that when the players encounter someone they think is totally non-upgraded it catches then off guard.
>>
>>47390569
Nanomachines?
>>
>>47390596
Nanomachines, son
>>
>>47390698
To be fair, I'd say thats a bad example of it, since that setting is fucking littered with nanomachines. Hell, rank and file mooks have nanomachines.
>>
>>47390596
>when the players encounter someone they think is totally non-upgraded it catches then off guard
except someone that low key, for all intent and purposes, would be baseline until the nanomachines did there work
which is going to take a while
if not, where are the machines getting the energy and material to make their drastic changes so quickly? then where is the heat resulting from their feverish construction going?

i'm all for small miracles, but lets not ignore thermodynamics
>>
>>47390767
Ignoring thermodynamics is my middle name.
>>
>>47390569
Anything you do with nanomachines will involve a healthy suspension of disbelief.

As a result, just about anything you make the nanomachines do will be more believable than the nanomachines.
So if nanomachines will fly with your group, then nanomachines doing just about anything will fly with your group.

So use them for just about anything.
>>
>>47390569

As nightmare fuel.

Seriously, as a small kid I've read a short story in a SF/fantasy magazine in which a nanite outbreak devoured Earth. The author went into quite a bit of gruesome details. Ever since then, nanites were scary shit in my book.
>>
>>47391204
>use them for anything
Hi there, Kojima, how's that new Armored Core game coming along?
>>
File: gantz vampires.jpg (110 KB, 500x719) Image search: [Google]
gantz vampires.jpg
110 KB, 500x719
>>47391272
they're not that scary when you know most will be damaged or destroyed by simple em radiation

nanomachines are the next vampires
>>
>>47390569
>what is the best use of nanomachines in any game?
Making America great again.
>>
>>47390569

Being set up as the big bad only to reveal that nanomachines cannot do what they're depicted as doing in movies, and are thus pretty much just an esoteric research project to help kids get through grad school.

Now that'd be a twist.
>>
File: file.png (20 KB, 416x154) Image search: [Google]
file.png
20 KB, 416x154
>>
>>47391953
nanotechnology is just magic in science fiction, like dark matter.

Real nanotechnology is mostly useless, like real dark matter.
>>
>>47391978
>Real nanotechnology is mostly useless, like real dark matter.
they said the same thing about: steam engines, electricity, radio, computers, etc.
>>
>>47392046
>They
Whom? The same people that said the earth was flat?
>>
>>47392046
>someone said something was impossible once so by the power of words that means someone will do it someday.
So the earth is at the center of the solar system and we just lack the tools to prove it?
>>
>>47392422

Obviously.
>>
Grey Goo
>>
They are actually pretty scary if you think about it. Nanobots in the right numbers, can be used to completly dismantle a planet into basic elements in a few days, so they are right for some kind of means of refueling your generation-ship, or in some settings as an extreme kind of dread.
>>
>>47393009

Yeah we've seen fantasia. Doesn't make it real.
>>
File: ArmstrongPP.png (487 KB, 972x807) Image search: [Google]
ArmstrongPP.png
487 KB, 972x807
>>47390569
>>
>>47393059
>>47392422
>>47391978
>>47391538

Oh great, its Mr. NoImagination McBuzzkill. Seriously buddy, just get off /tg/ and go jerk off to extremely conservative estimates of battery efficiency increases in the next 4 to 5 years.

The rest of us will have fun playing pretend or imagining a future beyond the next 10 years of advancement
>>
File: Greg Bear_1997_Slant.jpg (347 KB, 800x1275) Image search: [Google]
Greg Bear_1997_Slant.jpg
347 KB, 800x1275
>>47390569
Controling mooks.

Making efficient and targetable diseases.

On site resource processing into materiel.

Ultimate body modification. People have enough room for two more vaginas in the cheeks.

Psychological warfare.
>>
>>47395981

>waaah my faith!
>>
>>47390801
You must not get called by it much.
>>
>>47390569
Schlock Mercenary uses them pretty well. They can definitely be scary, but so can a power drill, or a rock grinder, or a car. They're just pretty advanced tools.
>>
>>47390569
I really liked the idea from numenera of nanotech and field generators etc allowing more primitive people to do what they think is casting spells but is actually the nanotech forming fireballs and lightning bolts for them, which they know involves using their thoughts and maybe some brain interface they may know nothing about or even know is inside of them etc. which might not be original to numenera
>>
>>47391419
That could be kind of cool done literally. Nanomachine vampires. Like, instead of a curse or disease, it's a malfunctioning, parasitic augment.
>>
>>47390569
some kind of power up for your character in a futuristic setting. Nanomachines syringe that gives you strength, awareness, intelligence for example.
>>
>>47392503
You can be so much more creative than just grey goo though. Imagine a cosmic horror setting where nanotech is explained by being powered by rifts in reality. No one knows where those rifts actually lead to, but strange events seem to happen when too many of these power sources are withing close vicinity with one-another.
>>
>>47391272
I remember reading that, it started in some scientist's bathroom I think.
>>
>>47399462
>liked

But then you realized how stupid it was?
>>
>>47390569
Grey goo eldritch horrors
>>
>>47400441
Sounds kinda like M3 the dark metal
>>
>>47390569
>Ridiculous power levels game
>Intro game
Give players OP AI powered archeotech frigate. (Not heresey, not actually 40k)
Autopilot sends frigate to DMPC on a death world. I don't intend for him to really be a PC. I just say that because he was cringey.
DMPC is terraforming the deathworld. Gives a spiel about an ancient evil mankind loosed on the galaxy. Gives clues to players about how they could train it. Offers to train them in whatever they desire. (I wanted to give the players their XP for the game in this way, we were going to wrap up the session)

I don't know how I phrased it badly, but two of the players decided they didn't want to just 'train' with him but wanted to try to kill him. This is like trying to kill Elminster or Lady of Blades tier. The DMPC is a super-AI powered by blackholes and technobabble, like he's not even really 'here' on this planet, this is just a meat puppet he's controlling for the uniqueness of the human experience.

>So they decide to kill Robo-Elminster while he's doing his nature/terraforming/teacher thing.
First I think, well, he holds back for awhile, but if the fight goes 5 rounds...

They actually do better than I thought and break his meat puppet pretty good in two rounds, but they literally scream for more, so I have him just stand back up with a shattered arm and torso, because why not, he's Robo-god.

Round 5 comes, and all the nanites that have been working to terraform the planet have formed into a wall screaming across the surface of the planet and DBZ speeds and smacks the whole party and sends them flying back to their ship and unconscious.
>>
>>47391272

Nanomachines would act as bacteria if ever released into the wild, and would have to compete for resources against all microscopic life forms. Some would probably even specialize as predators against them.
>>
File: Metal_Gear_1741288551lvcz9.gif (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Metal_Gear_1741288551lvcz9.gif
2 MB, 640x360
>>47390569
>>47394952
>>
File: Prey1.jpg (30 KB, 220x316) Image search: [Google]
Prey1.jpg
30 KB, 220x316
>>47400756
have you read Prey? do so if you haven't
Small Miracles is another good one
>>
>>47390569
RULES OF NATURE
>>
>>47400479
Its kind of less stupid than regular magic though, i mean there's a sorta logical reason for it happening whereas i doubt you shit on everyone who plays dnd or reads magical shit, so i guess you're just a cunt
>>
Nanomachines act too slowly for them to achieve grey goo scenarios, surface vs volume.

Not to mention mobility of the nanomachines themselves.
>>
>>47400931
Also extreme vulnerability to basically everything at all. Colliding too fast with a hydrogen ion can cause them to overheat to death.
>>
>>47400885

magic doesn't need an explanation. making one up with stupid technology is just pretentious.
>>
>>47402490
>Magic doesn't need an explanation
>Unless it's magic calling itself technology
>>
>>47402510

I don't know, i think that the explanations for it in fantasy are more enjoyable than "a scientist whipped this up in a lab somewhere and it's gone amok"

It feels tacky.
>>
File: erika blush&pant_1.jpg (52 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
erika blush&pant_1.jpg
52 KB, 300x300
>>47391419
>>47400122

>I can finally have vampires in my cyberpunk settings again

FUCK why did I never think of this before
>>
>>47391953
Source for this image? Pretty sure my old DM ran a game like that....
>>
>>47403940
GURPS, I'm guessing Biotech. I love the nanite swarms in GURPS; each is fielded for a specific purpose, i.e. medical swarm, "devour" swarm, repair swarm, that kind of thing. Can be carried in small canisters if I remember correctly and deployed at leisure, although I believe once activated they have a shelf life and they're limited by what they have to work with (except for the "eat and destroy everything to continue fueling ourselves" kind which is more akin to a natural disaster than a sound tactical decision)
>>
File: Gray Goo.jpg (35 KB, 350x239) Image search: [Google]
Gray Goo.jpg
35 KB, 350x239
Nano is bad, m'kay?
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.