[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MtG: Standard Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 14
File: BiaJ.jpg (61 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
BiaJ.jpg
61 KB, 312x445
Winning FNM with Meme deck edition

Well, last FNM I played with a modificated Monoblue Brain Meme deck and went 3-0-1.

What decks are you playing?

What are you brewing?

What are you expecting from Eldritch Moon?

>Tech added to my list.

- TITI x4 main for chumpblocking/Anguished Unmaking and Declaration in Stone magnet to protect the Brains.
- Clash of Wills x3 maindeck to counter early threats
- Send to Sleep x2 main to protect my face from Aggro.
Added 1 Mirrorpool main and removed the 2 Blightlands.

>Sideboard tech

- Invasive surgery x2 for Sorcery threats
- Psychic Rebuttal x1 for 2x1 discard/burn spells

Changed Disperse for Compelling Deterrence since it has a plus when controlling a zombie.

The rest is the same shit you can find in other lists.
>>
A short story with Compelling Deterrence and Physic Rebuttal.

> Last match vs Eldrazi B/W
> First round I got destroyed by 2 Reality Smashers and Seers

> Second round I side counterspells
> Turns passes while I was countering his Seers and Smashers and my TITIs and Brain dying from BW removal.
> He managed to land a Gideon and start amasing an army and attacking me.
> Had 8 manas and 2 cards. I hardcast Rises and put 10 zombies tokens tapped.
> At this moment he was at 14 lifes, had 0 cards, 5 ally tokens and I was at 10 life, had one card and 2 mana available.
> His turn, he draws Westvale Abyss and sacrifice his 5 tokens to flip his land and put Gideons emblem to hit for lethal.
> Use Compelling Deterrence to bounce his land back and make it discard it since I had zombie tokens in the battlefield.
> Won next turn.

> Game 3 I removed TiTis for extra counterspells
> He had the full discard pack this time.
> I had a pretty bad hand with only 1 Invasive surgery to protect my hand.
> Fortunately I start drawing my sideboard cards. At one point I draw Physic Rebuttal, which was useful in the last match vs a weird UR Eldrazi Googles deck.
> Time passes and he manged to land Reality Smasher and start attacking me.
> I was at 5 life but had 10 mana to cast Part the Waterveil with Awaken.
> Opponent cast trangress the mind to check my hand.
> Cast Physic Rebuttal to counter it and copy his spell.
> check hiss hand. He had 2 lands and a Reality Smasher. I say "byebye Smasher".
> He pass
> Next turn I caat awaken Part the Waterveil and attack with my 6/6 elemental since his smasher was already tapped.
> Cast Another Part the Waterveil and attack with my now 12/12 elemental.
> Guy was king of angry muttering to his friends "shit decks like that shouldnt be played or even exist"

Feels good to own people who believe metadecks are everything.
>>
The fact you got lucky doesnt mean that pile of crap you call deck is good or will ever be good for competitive.
>>
>tfw only opened a dozen or so packs of SoI and ended up with a playset of Brain in a Jar

I don't even want to play that meme deck.
>>
>>47387496
I'm impressed anon - it seems real fun to play. While I'm a huge Westvale Abbey fan, I bet it felt good to bounce and discard it.
>>
>>47387612
>fuck you for winning with blue, counters and bouncing are supposed to be bad. WIZARDS FIX THIS PLEASE
>>
>>47387488
My meme is better than your meme.

Creatures: (28)
>Thraben Inspector x4
>Jaddi Offshot x4
>Hidden Dragonslayer x4
>Erdwal Illuminator x4
>Bygone Bishop x3
>Graf Mole x3
>Tireless Tracker x4
>Felidar Sovereign x2

Enchantments: (4)
>Ongoing Investigation x4

Instants & Sorceries: (4)
>Confront the Unknown x4
>>
where is a good site for competitive standard deck lists?
>>
>>47387612
B/W Eldrazi player detected
>>
>>47389408
Mtgtop8, latest tournament-winning lists can be found there.

Being a Spike is for loosers though, Tier 1 decks are linear borefests without any sort of decission trees. A mentally handicapped chimpanzee could pilot them.

Being a Jhonny is where its at. Creative deckbuilding is the best part of this game.
>>
>>47389499
Not him, but why you say B/W Eldrazi?
>>
>>47388703
You are a huge shitter who doesn't know how to play or the first thing about the format or what makes a deck competitive.

Go back to Yu-Gi-Oh you kiddo.
>>
>>47389561
I pretended he was the mad BW eldrazi player OP met in the tourney.

That BW Eldrazil was pretty dumb. He should've attacked with the tokens intead of transforming that shit lands.
Gosh this deck looks borings. Only bouncing stuff, tapping creatures and countering spells sounds lame as fuck. Gosh I really hate this meme deck since they take a shit ton of time to assemble this crappy combo. Play Esper Dragons instead.
>>
>>47390250
Oh yeah, I don't usually read blog posts like OPs.

You seem to have a particular taste in decks, what do you play?, I'd love to have a look.

What do you think about my deck?, Its >>47389352

Checking eachoter's decks is a good way to get this general rolling.
>>
>>47389352
How often do you actually win with that thing? I feel like the moment you play sovereign they know what's up and remove it immediately.
>>
>>47390606
If I play Sovereign I'm usually well above over 40 lives already. This friday for example, I got over 86 lives, then played Felidar Sovereign.

Since I crack lotsa clues I usually find a Sovereign sooner or later. If not, I win by steadily accumulating clues and getting lethal in one clean swoop with Confront the Unknown.

Its surprisingly consistent too.
>>
Rate this black green meme deck

http://tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/22-05-16-kill-yourself/
>>
>>47390667
PD: I won very into the lategame T10 or something, but my opponent was playing a particularly potent W/B lifedrain Ally brew with plenty of Deathtouchers so I chose not to play the aggro game and let him attack first so that I could keep my pieces on the board.

It really paid off and I outlasted him by far even though he did hit quite hard, I built the same deck as him, so I was very satisfied since the deck's greatest strength is its lategame.

I also out-aggroed B/R Vampires. I felt pretty bad about that win because I was playing against a veteran in front of his son.

... I'm kind of looking forward to playing against the son though, since he plays elves and they are both regulars at my lgs.
>>
>>47389352
>felidar sovereign deck
mah nigga. I had a FS deck when he was first printed, which was hilarious since my meta was literally 95% red deck wins or rw landfall. Sticking an early game soul's attendant/wall of omens was always a huge hurdle for them and getting an emeria active almost always made them scoop. It was surprisingly effective for such a slow deck in a fast meta.
>>
>>47390768
Thinking of splashing white for siege rhino and eldrazi displacer. Good idea, or no?

Captcha: 420
>>
>>47390809
Never mind on the rhino, I'm a dumbass
>>
>>47389352
there are only 36 cards there
>>
>>47391073
I omitted the lands bud.
>>
Anyone else running werewolves of London? It's fun and decent, but I consistently run into problems with white weenies and their first strike. I'm also too poor too pick up Kozilek's Return and Arlinns. My current removal is lightning axes and Moonlight Hunts. Any other ideas? I'm running 4 Kessig Forgemasters, but they need to get flipped before they can do their thing, and by then Always Watching comes out 40% of the time.
>>
>>47391103
I know, and I think people should not do that
what's your manabase? how well do you handle 3 colors?
I'm actually interested
>>
>>47387488
What the hell is in a brain meme deck?
>>
>>47391350
I know it from http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-20-9-tix-standard-mono-blue-brains
>>
>>47391103
>>47391138
also sideboard would be nice :)
>>
File: 1461443167309.jpg (77 KB, 560x683) Image search: [Google]
1461443167309.jpg
77 KB, 560x683
Why does this standard somehow even feel more fucking boring than last one?
>>
>>47391138
Alright, you ask it, you've got it.

My actual mana base is:
>1 Port Town
>1 Fortified Village
>2 Canopy Vista
And the rest are basics.

Truth is, I ran out of budget building the deck, so I had to put together whatever I could with the duals I pulled. But yeah, when I've got some money again I'll build a proper manabase.

I liked the new SoI duals a lot, but after using a single copy of one in this deck I've noticed they are not so good in tricolor decks. They are excellent in bicolor ones though. I'd even use them over shocklands in those.

Anyways, I THINK a mix of Tangolands and Showlands are the way to go. Just 9 duals, the rest basics, seeing how both types work better with a high proportion of basics.

Really, the success of tricolor or 4 color decks will be determined by Kaladesh.

God, I'm really hoping for fetches next set. They would make the Landfall elements of my sets SO much better.

On all my trial runs I easily got over 10 clues, 30 lives with just a Jaddi Offshot and a Tireless Tracker. Fetches woul make the deck so much better it'd be unreal.
>>
>>47391805
I have my share of complaints but anything else is miles above 4c goodstuff.
>>
>>47391595
Eh... Uh... I actually don't have a defined Sideboard yet.

I'm all hyped about this deck because it really blew the fuck out of my meta, which isn't the latest top 8, bit its quite strong. Its also been faring quite well against the modern decks in my playgroup.

To put it into perspective, I hang with the kool kids of my lgs. They often play commander, but they are also very experienced Modern and Legacy players, meanwhile I'm the new guy.

Still, though I'm the most unexperienced of the group, this deck I've built has managed to beat 3 of their modern decks even without dem fetches. To say its got Modern potential is rash, very much so, but I'd say its T4, T5 as it is, T3 if I modified it to use a modern cardpool (Lotus Cobra seems like it would have huge potential in this deck for example).

The one deck I really have a lots of hopes in is a Modern Spirits deck. Very, very good. It was actually botn here, in /tg/.

Anyways, I'm gonna go work on that sideboard so I can show you, ok?
>>
>>47391826
imho evolving wilds should be useful, both for fixing and landfall purposes, have you thought about it?

>really hoping for fetches
I disliked the four-color meta and I think most people did.
I don't think they'll bring it back, at least not for now.
>>
>>47392271
Well, they printed only 4 fetches back in Khans didn't they?

Maybe its time for enemy fetches. I don't think 4C rally will return if they printed them now that the meta's changed so much. New decks would surely arise but not that one imho.

Anyways, here's my preliminar sideboard.

Sideboard:
>Stratus Dancer x4
Do I even have to justify this?, its
Already pretty darn good as it
Is and fits like a glove in a deck like this.

>Expose Evil x3
This common is actually pretty amazing, specially in this deck. Tapping two creatures for 1W + Investigate is fine value, but alingside Erdwal Illuminator it allows you not only to shit all over the opponents turn, but also get a lot of clues in the process. Great vs aggro.

>Graf Mole x1
The spare one in case I find I need some additional lifegain.

>Declaration in Stone x4
Very useful removal, even if Hidden Dragonslayer already can take care of
Avacyn and the like.

>Whirler Rogue x3
This one is there for the control matchup. the ability to make everything unblockable really makes such matches far easier.
>>
>>47391350
Its a Monoblue Standard deck that got popular when mtggoldfish revealed some gameplay with it. The reason it got popular was because the pieces were surprisingly cheap (around 20$ by the time before the price spike of some of the pieces).

OP made some modifications iwth some secret tech and adding thing in the ice, playing a versatile version of the deck. I am still not convinced with the deck being Monoblue. I would add black and build it according to my LGS meta.

Can I get you complete list >>47387488
? It would be cool to compare it with the list I'm currently planing.
>>
>>47392271
Also, yeah, my playgroup already suggested Evolving Wilds me. Hearing it here only reinforces what they said.

Anyways, 4 Evolving Wilds, 6 tango lands sounds about right.
>>
>>47390807
Its also surprisingly effective in this particular deck too. When I started using it I ran 4 Knights of the White Orchid and Expose Evil, but after testing I noticed the Sovereigns were perfect for the deck and so were the Dragonslayers. The result was pretty spectacular... As long as I didn't get mana screwed that is.

Still, even when I have bad luck land-wise with this deck its never that bad. The clues really help a lot digging through the deck and I always end up getting the lands I need sooner than later. The fact its so consistent despite such a shitty manabase makes me have big hopes in this deck.

You know what the real killer is though?, Ongoing Investigation of all things.

When I played against my playgroup, it was the one card they would counter or bounce above all else, even before apparently greater threats like Tireless Tracker.

Why?, Because of its secondary ability. The fact it allowed me to investigate on their turn and get a lot of additional clues from Erdwal Illuminator meant I could get easy and early kills with Confront the Unknown. It really punished them for attacking me and when they did not play aggressively I ended up winning thanks to Felidar Sovereign or just plain 'ole damage anyways.

To think Hidden Dragonslayer is rotating this September makes me kind of sad... But the fact that that's the one and only thing my deck's gonna loose makes me happy. Plus god knows what kind of clue/artifact support they'll print in Eldritch Moon / Kaladesh.
>>
>>47391826
>Tangolands
Daily reminder that that's a stupid fucking name because the "it takes two to tango" joke goes right out the fucking window the second you drop the land.
>>
thinking of getting back into standard and saw this while cruising around the jewtubes. any standard players know if it's actually up to snuff for FnM?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wUfvwstGJM
>>
>>47394454
Vamps without Olivia is seriously bad, and vamps themselves are extremely mediocre.
>>
>>47387488
Memedecking is even more despicable than regular netdecking
>>
File: 1448484939462.jpg (8 KB, 228x250) Image search: [Google]
1448484939462.jpg
8 KB, 228x250
>tfw i didnt fnm this week because work is getting really busy
>>
>>47394567
i see, well fuck
>>
>>47395211
they'll probably do okay against your average mtg player. but yeah, they won't really stack up against actual decks with real synergy
>>
>>47394342
Ok, propose a better name m8.

See?, There's nothing decent to call them. Be thankful their name isn't as retarded as 'Shadowlands'.
>>
>>47395525
Checklands.
>>
>>47395525
Battlelands
>>47395525
why the fug wouldn't people just call them Handlands? It makes so much more sense.
>>
File: check'em.jpg (60 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
check'em.jpg
60 KB, 312x445
>>47395696
people call pic related checklands
>>
>>47395780
Battlelands is retarded. What makes them more battle-y than any other lands?

>>47395696
Checklands, on the other hand, is a pretty good name. Still not as good as Tangolands imho but its there.
>>
>>47395838
they're from battle for zendikar
>>
Playing with some of my friend's cards. I guess it's called black/green aristocrats? Won I Friday, got 3rd the week before. Nantuko husk, collected company, etc I think it's a netdeck that I'm only missing Lilliana in. Trying to homebrew mono red goblins or some deck focused around Dark Dwellers (any suggestions?), but nobody will playtest with me.
>>
>>47387488
>Brain in a Jar
>meme

To be fair the card has serious potential, since you can cast sorcery speed at instant and for one entire mana. It also allows you to reorganize your deck down the road which is pretty nice. It just needs an additional mechanic or card to just bust it's shit up desu.
>>
>>47387488
>playing
Playing mono white, recently went 3-1 in the Satruday standard event at GPLA
>brewing
nothing
>expecting
hopefully some more good cheap creatures for mono white
>>
>>47396051
The problem is the spells in standard aren't exciting enough to play a deck like that and do well with it consistently. Unless Eldritch Moon adds a buch of great spells I don't see brain in a jar being very good in the future.
>>
>>47396108
I just see it as a nice one- or two-of in a control shell to be honest. Nothing right now justifies it as a four-of, especially since a chunk of the meta is token spam right now, and a slow artifact doesn't help solve the problem. But hey, it's gonna get there eventually.
>>
>>47396211
I don't think it'll make it but if you can figure something out more power to you.
>>
>>47395914
... That's a pretty poor reasoning to call them that honestly.

Not even trying to be... What's the word... Contrarian (?) here, it's just a bad reason for an otherwise seemingly random name.
>>
>>47396267
The name of the set identifies the lands, what's so bad about that?
>>
>>47395780
i hope this post is intentionally ironic, defending "battlelands" but complaining about "shadowlands"
>>
File: ayyyyy.jpg (16 KB, 207x279) Image search: [Google]
ayyyyy.jpg
16 KB, 207x279
>What decks are you playing
Still running my R/G werewolves, lambholt pacifist puts in the work.

>What are you brewing?
EDH stuff and G/W humans and spirits

>What are you expecting from Eldritch Moon?
A legendary werewolf, tamiyo, and a more awful Tibalt.
>>
>>47396428
The connection is pretty hard to make. After all, lands are usually named after what they do.
>>
>>47396879
and there are no easy ways to describe what this land does so they named it after the set it came out in
>>
>>47395987
Get the cheap red instants/sorceries for dark dwellers, for goblins get a playset of glory chaser, piledriver, reckless bushwhacker, 2-3 zada, and maybe abbot?
>>
File: heiroffalkenrath.jpg (84 KB, 1024x772) Image search: [Google]
heiroffalkenrath.jpg
84 KB, 1024x772
>>47394454

Creature (29)

3x Asylum Visitor
3x Drana, Liberator of Malakir
4x Falkenrath Gorger
4x Heir of Falkenrath
3x Incorrigible Youths
4x Indulgent Aristocrat
4x Olivia, Mobilized for War
4x Ravenous Bloodseeker

Land (23)

2x Evolving Wilds
4x Foreboding Ruins
6x Mountain
4x Smoldering Marsh
7x Swamp

Instant (8)

4x Fiery Temper
4x Lightning Axe

Sideboard (15)

2x Duress
3x Fiery Impulse
2x Grasp of Darkness
3x Transgress the Mind
2x Ultimate Price
3x Visions of Brutality
>>
>>47395797
Check this 5 tho
>>
>>47390768
Bump
u
m
p
>>
>>47396952
It's not a complete cycle. When/if they print enemy colored ones, calling them battlelands will sound much more ridiculous than tangolands.
>>
>Tangolands
>Shadowlands

What the fuck are those names anons? In my LGS people call the BfZ lands "Dual Checklands" while the SoI lands are called "Showlands"
>>
>>47395987
Dark Dwellers with Sin Prodder. They take life to block you from getting a powerful -3 CMC spell then you drop Dwellers.
>>
>>47387488
>What decks are you playing?
Superior B/W Eldrazi

>What are you brewing?
Nothing, cause B/W Eldrazi is the best deck this season

>What are you expecting from Eldritch Moon?
Kill the shit decks and meme decks
>>
>>47391805
Last Standard was absolute shit, just pick the color you liked the least and jam every good card in all the other colors in your deck, with some variation. Add 12 fetches and 12 battle lands and you're good.

This at least has some difference.
>>
>>47397860
I call them bilands and handlands

Your names sound really dumb
>>
How am I looking?
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-05-16-vampire-madness/
>>
>>47397860
>"Dual Checklands"
Mouthful, and all checklands are dual lands.
>"Showlands"
This is what I call them. What does your LGS call the duals printed in BFZ?
>>
>>47398838
I feel >>47397467 has more consistency. That said, vampires are as good as it's going to get (read: not very) until EMN comes out. It's like it tries hard to be pseudo BW warriors, but fails since there's no lord like Chief of the Edge
>>
>>47397860
I just call them nonbasic lands
>>
>>47392714
I think brain will be a staple piece until it rotates out and also agree is not just a straight u usage. More synergy with zombies would be nice include.

I really like the whole brains zombies combo.
>>
>>47394454
v=6u-KUeyK5BI
MTG has some good youtube channels but my recommended is link related and DesolatorMagic
>>
>>47397618
and they probably will, because the only other basic-land-type cycles were completed
>>
File: file.jpg (679 KB, 1371x429) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
679 KB, 1371x429
Rate/advise about my deck?

Going to test for first time tomorrow.
>>
I present my latest creation: Golgari Scions 2 - Electric Boogaloo

http://tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/23-05-16-XRT-none/
>>
>>47401491
does this actually work somehow?
>>
Just got into Magic, thinking about what im gonna do when Eldritch Moon comes round. Whats the best way of buying into a new expansion?
>>
>>47389775
hes playing a pay to win...
there is no skill left in magic, its all net decking and 2-3 hundred dollar decks in standard.
thats why i quit.
>>
>>47404470
You might as well just give up card games as a whole then anon.
>>
>>47402769
Yes

There are many decks like it, but this one is mine.
>>
>>47401367
put a 1 of Wastes in the deck, since you've got 3 evolving wilds
>>
Anyone want to rate my latest brew? I just bought the last cards and they should come in the mail before next weekend

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rw-eldrazi-blink/
>>
>>47401367
I think you'd like Pieces of the Puzzle and you can choose to let stuff in your graveyard for the GDD
>>
File: 1430704084920.jpg (47 KB, 640x714) Image search: [Google]
1430704084920.jpg
47 KB, 640x714
>>47410433

>tfw playing in a meta where only one guy plays Gx ramp and dodging him at fnm when I play esper tutelage
>>
If I have two Ulvenwald Mysteries and a Thalia's Lieutenant on the field, does sacrificing a clue give me 2 +1/+1 token on the Thalia's or just the one?

Since two human tokens are entering the battlefield, but I think it's at the same time.
>>
I need to side against white humans and esper control for my local FNM. Playing B/U zombies. Any suggestions?

I run duress, negate, transgress the mind, flaying tentacles for those matches in my sideboard and have dead weights and grasp of darkness in the main.
>>
>>47413506

Wouldn't it be two, since they enter separately on the stack since they are two different effects putting them onto the field? Thalia's ability would be put onto the stack as soon as one Ulvenwald resolved, so it would occur, then go onto the next, then occur again.
>>
File: 1451631824971.jpg (358 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1451631824971.jpg
358 KB, 1280x720
My personal /blog about my last fnm tournaments.

I usually play Bant Company, usually win or at least get packs.
As the format evolved I read everywhere of decks that were created to curb stomp bant company, everyone on my shop moved to these decks and my winrate hasn't really moved up or down, is the same so I can't say I feel any difference.

I decided to move to G/W tokens because I already had all the cards, but it seems like the deck hates me, there's times I super brick, others I find myself with all the stellar cards on play but can't do nothing because the deck is not aggresive enough or doesn't do enough per turn.

It's really weird and since there's a GP near my city on two weeks I don't know what to do since the public opinion is that Bant is shit and G/W is the superior choise.

A friend of mine is using R/G/W planeswalkers and got results so I don't know if moving to something like that because 3 colors give much better choises with Chandra and Radiant Flames.

What would you do /tg/? At this point I don't believe using Bant is an option since it gets reckt by every deck on the meta,
>>
>>47395987
If you want to play darkdwellers play R/B. Sin Prodder, Thunderbreak, draconic roars, 2 dragonlord Kolaghans, 2-3 k commands, you get the jest.
>>
>>47413802
whats your zombie list lad?
>>
Hey I just got back into magic a couple weeks ago, my collection isn't massive at the moment but I'm going to run with this next time my local card shop has standard for fnm.

Help/ tips?

22 Mountain

3 Shivan Dragon
1 Conduit of Ruin
4 Ember-Eye Wolf
2 Scourge Wolf
4 Pyre Hound
2 Lavastep Raider
1 Bane of Bala Ged

4 Vessel of Volatility

4 Fiery Temper
4 Lightning Axe
4 Expedite

2 Sparkmage's Gambit
3 Burn from Within
>>
>>47415120
4x Relentless Dead
4x Diregraf Colossus
4x Prized Amalgam
3x Fleshbag Marauder
2x Nantuko Husk
2x Liliana, Heretical Healer
2x Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
1x Risen Executioner
2x Stitchwing Skaab
1x Geralf's Masterpiece

1x Ob Nixilis, Re-ignited

2x Read the Bones
2x Dead Weight
2x Grasp of Darkness
4x Compelling Deterrence
4x Sunken Hollow
4x Choked Estuary
9x Swamp
4x Island
2x Westvale Abbey
1x Blighted Fen

Sideboard
2x Ultimate Price
2x Flaying Tendrils
2x Ruinous Path
2x Duress
1x Transgress the Mind
1x Pick The Brain
1x Infinite Obliteration
2x Grotesque Mutation
>>
>>47415838
How much are you willing to spend? You will get crushed 0-2 every game playing this. You could build a respectable white weenie, blue control, or white/red mid range deck for pretty cheap.
>>
>>47415838
Think it needs some more cheap, good spells.

Shivan dragon, while a dragon, won't get you super far.

Bane of bala ged costs too much and doesnt seem to fit your deck's theme. Would work better in a green deck.

From what I see, you dont have too many cards to work with. Thats okay though, because you have SOMETHING to use. In a red aggro deck, you want to use cheap, sweeping spells and fast, small creatures to meet your ends. Little werewolves like Village messenger and tiny one drop spells can really do a number on those unprepared to deal with them. Ideally, a red burn deck doesn't skate above more than a few mana in terms of actual mana costs, and focuses on hitting the face as fast as humanly possible before someone can react.

The best way to go about building a cheap standard deck is to get some useful, cheaper spells and creatures and leave out the expensive cards because those won't do much for you. Use drafts and sealed constructed events to just get CARDS, then buy some singles to make format constructed decks. That's how I approach it, at least.

Dont listen to the autists that'll yell "KEK USING SHIT CARDS LMAO" and just focus on getting some reasonably priced cards that you want and are workable in your budget. FNM doesn't require a top 8 deck to be successful, just find what works and what seems fun to you.
>>
>>47416153
>>47416181

But if the mana cost of cards is low I'll end up playing everything and having no cards in hand. Isnt that a bad thing?

I have bane in there to help deal with delerium and conduit as an extra chance to get him out
>>
>>47415838

Cut shivan, conduit, bane and consider cutting scourge wolf and pyre hound. Consider running more cheap red creatures like Insolate Neonate/village Messenger in those slots. Maybe throw in tormenting voices in place of the vessels of volatility. You'll have a lower mana curve, focusing on early aggression so you can pitch lands or tempers with them, and none of these cards are terribly expensive or difficult to obtain.

You have 4 types of cards that are easily hitting the graveyard, and 5 total types, so you probably want to stray from delirium with your current setup, unless you run more discard stuff so you can pitch lands more consistently.
>>
File: standard.png (525 KB, 708x464) Image search: [Google]
standard.png
525 KB, 708x464
>>47416137
Here's mine. Prized Amalgam is real.
>>
>>47416262

I'm sure you've thought of it already, but you should run relentless dead. Dies, pay 3 mana, return two prized amalgams to the battlefield.
>>
>>47416137
>>47415120
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bu-zombie-midrange-need-advice/

Made a tappedout page so you can reference effects.
>>
>>47416259

The vessels are there to buff up shivan, is that not a good idea? I can also use them to get him or other high cost creatures out early. I'm using lighting axe and firey temper together to remove creatures and leave my opponent open while hitting them with temper for cheap
>>
>>47416262
What's your budget? This list needs a lot of improvement.
>>
>>47416318
Spending a card to get an extra +2 on Shivan Dragon ain't worth it. It's kind of like playing Rush of Adrenaline and single power boosts like that aren't very good.
>>
>>47416241
Well, tell me how much you are willing to spend and I'll give you suggestions for upgrades. If you want to play aggro I recommend red/blue over red this format. Monored is just shit this format, maybe goggles burn could be a thing but that's all.
>>
>>47416359
money is no object but I only play for fun. If the deck strays too far from the deck concept I want to play, it's not worth it. I'm playing Ghoulsteed and there's basically nothing anyone can do about it. The only problem I've had is that I run out of gas and there's no real card draw in standard.
>>
>>47416318

The axe and temper is fine. And the idea of using your vessels to get mana to slam shivan's early or pump them isn't flawed, It's just that running the more expensive creatures is going to kind of putter you out when you're mono red and have no way to keep dropping big fatties on the board like green does, who can typically cycle quicker for them and get them out faster. A lot of removal in the current format is unconditional exile for 2-3 mana, so they don't really care about how big your creatures are, just that you only have one or two to play before they kill you, or you have a way to protect them with counterspells or bounce, which red has no access to.

What I'm suggesting is to try focusing on your early game, instead of the late game.
>>
>>47416393
Also, I build all my decks out of what I pick up playing limited or when I open a cash rare I trade it in for any stuff I need for the decks I'm working on
>>
>>47416393
What do you want your win condition to be then? There is some amazing draw in the red right now - goggles/tormenting voice/magmatic insight and if you wanna be super low curve aggro go Red/Blue. What kind of win condition do you want?
>>
>>47416393

Tri-color painful truths and read the bones.

>runs cards that force you to discard multiple cards to reanimate when there's better options "just because"
>complains about running out of gas
>>
>>47416406
Senpai you could build an izzet aggro deck 500x better than this for like 40 bucks if you buy straight singles. Something you'll have a chance of topping your FNMs with. Then you'll start getting free packs and shit fairly regularly. Ramping Shivan Dragon is a terrible win condition. If you like to win with fuckhuge creatures or just play ramp in general then there are other places you should look.
>>
>>47416427
It's just a run of the mill midrange deck with lots of discard/recursion synergy.
>>
>>47416441

That's not the monored player, anon.
>>
>>47416262
The best wombo combo is discarding 3 amalgams to pay Masterpiece's cost
>>
>>47416406
Magmatic insight and Tormenting voice can get you card draw. Running a red aggro deck is all about throwing as many creatures and spells as you can before your opponent can respond to your actions.

I can probably whip up a quick deck for you, but red aggro isnt expensive. If you want to play big fat creatures, use green mana ramping as that will get your bane out very quickly.
>>
>>47416460
If you want to go that route then Vampires or Zombie tribal are fairly powerful and are midrange decks with a lot of discarding and graveyard stuff assuming you run Waltz in Vampires.
>>
>>47416476
Izzet Aggro (stormchaser mage, elusive spellfist) is way better than monored. The most expensive card is TITI and you don't need it. Abbot of Keral Keep is a little expensive but it isn't totally needed either.
>>
>>47416506
>stormchaser mage

My nigga
>>
>>47416441
You're talking to the wrong person. I ain't playing to goddamn Shivan Dragons. This ain't 1993.
>>47416434
I didn't "complain" about jack shit. I asked for suggestions to keep my hand replenished in the deck I'm playing, not suggestions to play a different deck so I can win. I guess I'll resort to playing clue shit like some kind of savage.
>>
>>47416532

Cut the ghoulsteeds you clown. You're running a garbage card for no reason. You could be running relentless dead to get the recursion at the same mana cost or less without the useless discard. You already have plenty of other creatures to fill the role of madness fodder. It's not changing your deck. It's changing one card for a strictly better one.

You are kicking yourself in the dick and asking for suggestions on how to not get kicked in the dick. The first step is to stop being retarded.
>>
>>47416532
We're not saying you have to buy cards to make an amazing deck. We're just offering some suggestions to make your decks more viable and competitive in a FNM setting. It's a lot of fun when your decks can compete comfortably with others than playing with one that can't do jack.

A good izzet aggro deck, as someone stated earlier, is a cheap and effective way to play the game well and with some good card options. Getting the card draw and control from blue with the burn and speed of red is very powerful. The new Stormchaser mage, mage ring bully, village messenger, insolent neonate, are all great creatures to use in an izzet aggro deck.

Tell me, what types of things do you like to play? How do YOU play the game?
>>
>>47416532
Oh yeah, my bad. Did you look at the tappedout list I posted? I run a Zombie deck around abusing Amalgam as well.

Ghoulsteed is godawful if it isn't in your Graveyard and you need room for other things. Mastetpiece is better in every way.
>>
>>47416532
Hand Repenish? Read the Bones, Ob Nixilis, Jace (SOI), Forgotten Creation, Macabre Waltz
>>
>>47416608
Ghoulsteed is fucking rad though. It does a deceptive amount of work. Being able to return it directly to play at instant speed is a unique ability and discarding Prized Amalgam is just straight value.
>>
>>47416636
Masterpiece, is, like, fucking worse than Ghoulsteed somehow. I'm always up to draw Steed, but sometimes drawing Masterpiece feels like shit. Binning 3 cards for what ends up being a 6/6 flier most of the time is not better enough than a 4/4 to justify the extra card.
>>
>>47416691
It is when you run 4 Relentless Dead or have 2+ Amalgams in the grave (or the potential of casting a +3/+3 or more Diregraf) or your hand. You can always run more draw or cards like Ever After, Necromantic Summons, Macabre Waltz.

If you have this in the grave and stick to 3 in hand it can pop out of your grave with prized amalgams coming to hit your opponent next turn and block an Ormendahl.
>>
>>47416659

Assuming you have a ghoulsteed in the graveyard, or a way to discard it, and two amalgams to discard, you could be discarding those same amalgams to play a masterpiece that flies and has better stats for one more mana or discarding three amalgams.

Relentless dead already brings out any amalgams and another copy of itself for 2 mana, comes out on turn 2 and has menace. if you can manage to put amalgams into your graveyard, which you can with all the discard you have outside of the ghoulsteed, it's just plain better.

You're just running a bad card because you've had good experiences with it. I mean fuck I've won games with grove rumbler hitting someone for 32 damage in one turn but that doesn't really mean grove rumbler is a good card. There's better cards to do what ghoulsteed is doing for you.
>>
>>47416756
It is better*
>>
>>47416763
Relentless dead doesn't do it at instant speed AND attack.
>>
>>47416691
Also you need room for Relentless Dead, Fleshbag Marauder, Diregraf Colossus. They are absolute staples for standard zombie. You are running a lot of trash spells too, not shitting on you, but why would you ever run Murderous Compulsion over Ultimate Price, Ruinous Path, Grasp of Darkness, Dead Weight?

You should run Compelling Deterrence. Stops Ormendahl, stops Gideons and Sorins.

You can also bounce a Diregraf Colossus you played early and play it again with more counters, discard a Skaab or masterpiece and if you have Amalgams in the graveyard you probably win the game that turn. You can loop Relentless Dead and Fleshbag Marauder with it and then use the discard to load a zombie in the grave for Relentless Dead to retrieve.
>>
>>47416654
Anybody ever play with Sea Gate Wreckage?
I have some Wastes sitting around I can use.
>>
>>47416854
Murderous Compulsion is better than those spells when you can discard it at instant speed to bring back 2 or 3 dudes.
>>
>>47416879

You realize you could be paying the same price for removal in Ultimate Price, right? You don't have to discard your removal. You could just be discarding more zombies.

And if you have to hard cast it? RP is better. Also deals with planeswalkers. Grasp kills tons of shit in this meta, unconditionally. Compulsion doesn't even hit sylvan advocate. And if you don't have a meta that has people playing advocate, well, godspeed, you can run as many ghoulsteeds as you want.
>>
>>47417009
The value comes from the synergy. That's why I'm playing Sinister Concoction, Bone Splinters, and Salvage Drone. I don't think they are the best cards, but they are the most synergistic.
>>
>>47417079

There's better synergies. But alright. Keep running sub-optimal cards that cause you to run out of gas quickly and ignore suggestions.

On a side note, how do you even run in a meta with so much exile? Between Declaration, Anguished Unmaking, Silkwrap, Stasis Snare and counterspells that exile, does everyone in your meta play jank?
>>
>>47416848
Relentless Dead revives any zombie you want AND comes back to your hand at the same time and doesn't have a horrible curve.

You really think that's worth it in the 4 slot over Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet? Or another Stitchwing Skaab? Or a Mindwrack Demon even? Forgotten Creation?

You have enough graveyard recursion, ghoulsteed is redundant and you are not really grasping the versatility of relentless dead.
>>
>>47416879
Not even close! Too conditional! Grasp of Darkness instant kills Kalitas, kills Avacyn. Compulsion is a garbage card. Sinister Concoction is better as well for that matter.
>>
>>47417079
You have too many discard outlets for your deck to handle and that's your problem. You aren't even running the best synergy cards like Liliana, Diregraf Colossus, Nantuko Husk, Forgotten Creation, Relentless Dead, Fleshbag Marauder. Shit even Shambling Zombie or Screeching Skaab would be better than Ghoulsteed. You run out of gas too fast and you're missing powerful win condition cards like Colossus and Diregraf.
>>
>>47417079
To anon:

Here's a present I made just for you. It's a pretty cool izzet agro deck that wouldn't offend your wallet in any major way. The most expensive thing on the list is Thing in the Ice, which you can easily replace if you're not in the mood to spend that much on cards. Included is a couple cool blue cards like Stratus dancer, Mage-ring bully, Stormchaser mage, Jori En, and others. There is plenty of card draw through Jori En, Expedite, Magmatic Insight, and the like. This deck would best suit someone looking to play a solid, non-weak deck at a relatively calm and reasonable price.

Alternatively, there are other color combinations that exist that we can throw together quickly for you.

>Sidenote, for any that are actually gud at the game, I threw this together in 5 minutes so this is a rough draft so far.
>>
>>47417469
Youre giving this to the wrong poster mate
>>
>>47417469
Forgot link

http://tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/24-05-16-FFJ-none/
>>
>>47417495
oops ignore it for you then, I'm very forgetful tonight. It was to that anon here I think >>47415838
>>
>>47416393
Try Asylum Visitor for black card draw.
>>
>>47397860
Dublands, gotta checkem
>>
>>47416393
> no real card draw in standard.

what is Read the Bones?
>>
>>47401367
look's like you lose to aggro decks without mainboard kozilek's return
>>
>>47404367
Play the prerelease and do some drafts when the set is out. If there are any cards that take your fancy and you want to include in a constructed deck then buy singles.

Don't buy sealed product unless you like to gamble (even then you're better off going to the racetrack or casino), or want to draft casually with friends.
>>
>>47419373
Definitely side boarding that and Radiant Flames. Beat everything except green/black aristocrats that I play tested against today, without either of those.
>>
i just finished building rg ramp (a year in the making) and dont know how to mulligan

anyone have any experience playing this deck to give me any tips? I'd like to win FNM for once
>>
>>47397467
Is Indulgent Aristocrat actually good or just a filler as a 1 drop to be madnessed etc.?
Because I feel it is tad bit on the weaker side.
>>
>>47420218
I'm the other vampire guy, but I can answer that. There is no discard filler. If you don't have extra lands or madness cards, you generally just don't discard. He's great if you can get a field up, even if he just becomes a 3 mana buff spell by saccing himself, or you can sac other dudes and have a decent size life link beater.
>>
>>47420218
Other other vamp dude here, he's proving to be a stealth beater like the anon above says, since the other vamps are removal targets, I just sac them on response to give the team a buff.

Also, I've been told to test out Insolent Neonate in its place. No battle data on that yet.

>>47420666
How's your list treating you, anonbro? 2 weeks of 1-3's is making me want to tilt
>>
>>47422750
I haven't fully finished it yet, but playing for fun it's handled itself pretty well. I would strongly advise a one-of Avaricious Dragon and the full four Asylum Visitors, or you tend to run out of gas real quick. If you can get down the dragon, it tends to bring you at least one Asylum Visitor, and then you're drawing 3-6 cards a turn and you can madness whatever's left at the end of tour turn. Also, for God's sake, 4x Stensia Masquerade and at least 2 Alms. That's why you're losing. And drop the Wilds for Foreboding Ruins, which you should know already. Sorry if I'm being a little harsh here, but a madness deck that's almost totally creatures doesn't make use of what's available at all.
>>
>>47422750
Also, by "haven't finished it", I just mean I don't have all the cards. The actual list is finished.
>>
>>47423090
Thanx, bro. I already got the 4x Foreboding ruins in the list. The wilds were in place of Cinder Barrens. Imma try the Stensia Masquerade. What do i take out though?
>>
Meme brains is actually pretty damn fun to play.
>>
>>47420102
pls respond
>>
> mfw people are taking shit memmee brews to play competitive magic.

OP and the rest of faggots with meeme decks needs to die. They are the cancer of magic.
>>
>>47420102
what's the actual decklist?
>>
>>47424842
Ah, I read tour lands wrong somehow. I personally only run 2 each of Aristocrat, Youths, and Bloodseeker. I also only run 20 lands, because that 4th Visitor and the Dragon are well worth it and I keep my mana costs under 4 for the most part. I would say you a only need one or two Drama because she usually gets killed before she can help you, and maybe an Olivia. Here's my list, if you didn't see it earlier: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-05-16-vampire-madness/

I just loaded it into XMage, I'll get back to you with results.
>>
>>47387488
Could I Get a deck list?
>>
>>47425949
G/W Tokens got boring for me, kiss my ass
>>
>>47425949
And these meme brews are fun as fuck to play, eat cock. I bet you eat bant company's ass like a starving whore
>>
>>47424842
Ah, turns out Asylum Visitor multiples don't draw extra cards, so watch out for that.
>>
Is skin invasion a good card to use in RB aggro decks?
>>
File: en_E4Q2KUzhzz.png (157 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
en_E4Q2KUzhzz.png
157 KB, 265x370
>>47427706
Yeah, I read that too. Looking like it is now, Olivia's Bloodsworn seems to be the better 2-drop, no?
>>
>>47428094
Up to you, man.
>>
>>47416241
why do you care about having cards in hand? you Want to play cards, so you can win the game, if you refeer to not having Enough cards to play, that is just a problem of Red in general that you will have to deal with.

Bane doesnt really help with delirium, it doesnt count as anything more than a creature, and those you have tons.
>>
>>47428581
>what is tormenting voice, magmatic insight, expedite, etc

Also splashing blue or going izzet helps with card draw if you're concerned
>>
>>47427706

It's fine if you can get rid of the card with a discard outlet or you can cast the card right there and then.
>>
>>47427706
I didn't realize that either when i threw a playset into my "the gate" build for modern. I already have a playset of dark confidant in there though so i might take them out. Anyone else actually run Asylum Visitor?
>>
>>47429681
I do, but not for the card draw. Just the fact that she's a 3/1 for 2 mana. Hoping for something more usefule for vamps in EMN
>>
>>47429917
kozeliak's return...which is hella common at fnm
>>
>>47428581

he was saying bala ged helps AGAINST delirium by exiling their shit instead of putting it in the graveyard
>>
>>47428094

Bloodsworn should be in any vamp list regardless. 2/1 flyer for 2 that gives future drops haste is extremely well costed.
>>
Is it practical at all to start trying to play MtG with MTGO? I've played a bit before in real life with some friends for some kitchen table stuff basically but that's it and I don't have a local scene around me that's convenient.

Assuming I have a fairly low skill level, how much would I have to invest into MTGO to play a cheap format like pauper and how long would it eventually take getting back some money I invested.
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/humans-on-innistrad/

This is my standard deck. I've posted it before, and it did adequately at game day, but I'd like to get it ready for the next one. It'll be my last one before I start my degree, and I want it to at least have a shot.

This is a stock of cards that I actually have, so I know that certain things are just stupid.

The intention is to add in 3-4 Always Watching, and 3-4 Declaration in Stone.

Is that enough removal? Would the deck be smooth otherwise?
>>
>>47432604

If you are to start playing MTG with MTGO I think you will possibly be frustrated from the experience. You're going to have to learn to not only learn the rules of MTG but also learn to navigate MTGO.

But seeing as you've played a bit before in real life you could do a few practice games with your friends or in casual rooms online and even learn to draft online as well which does help overall. As for the investment you really don't have to invest that much at all, there's numerous guides out there on playing on MTGO with budget investments and how to trade on up to get cards. One thing I will stress when playing on MTGO though is to never open up booster packs, they are worth far more unopened online than opened and there are guides that will go in-depth and explain why.
>>
>>47395797
check out this dick
>>
>>47434541

>The intention is to add in 3-4 Always Watching, and 3-4 Declaration in Stone.
>Is that enough removal? Would the deck be smooth otherwise?

This will be perfectly fine and in fact I would 100% encourage it. Right now in current Standard you have to make sure your deck can deal with Languish. So either grow your dudes super fast out of Languish range or play smartly around now.

Secondly run Knight of the White Orchid! He's a 2/2 with First Strike for 2cmc that can fetch you a Canopy Vista in the right situation giving you both green and white mana!
Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.