[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the most italian setting you can think of?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 12
File: 1424338554398.jpg (79 KB, 600x554) Image search: [Google]
1424338554398.jpg
79 KB, 600x554
What's the most italian setting you can think of?
>>
Italy
>>
>>47372547
Italy
>>
>>47372547
8 Mile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW-BU6keEUw
>>
File: Dow_LeopoldLeopards2.jpg (29 KB, 434x347) Image search: [Google]
Dow_LeopoldLeopards2.jpg
29 KB, 434x347
>>47372547
Warhammer Fantasy

It's the only setting I know of that has Fantasy !Italy.
>>
>>47372547
Italiano zombies attacking the survivorsstuck inside of a bucca di beppo.
>>
Caladan (home planet of House Atreides)
>>
>>47372547
Italy is a second-tier faction in Dystopian Wars.
>>
>>47373073
Sine Requie?
>>
Playing amoral anti-hero gunslingers on an island full of zombies.
>>
>>47373345
Sergio Leone pls go
>>
>>47373378
[Aah aah ahhs internally]
>>
>>47373073
Do the zombies surrender and join the survivors?
>>
>>47372547
adidas and nike, some hat and all white clothing.

That's all i can think of.
>>
>>47372547
Not nearly enough gaudy jewelry on that guy.
>>
Renaissance Italy

>When even Italy managed to be cool
>>
>>47372547

Europe with two boots
>>
>>47372547
An Olive Garden, built in the high meadows of Tuscan, Italy...being set upon by a large army of authentic Italian grandmothers, drunk on Chianti and funded by the mafia, armed with pitch forks made of garlic bread sticks. They have each brought their own special sauce, that they will claim is the best, and that they will use to boil the serving staff alive in. A man dressed in a white suit, seeing the whole matter, hops aboard his moped and rides towards the Vatican. The uprising has begun!
>>
File: giphy-facebook_s.gif (108 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
giphy-facebook_s.gif
108 KB, 480x270
>>47375310
Italy were always cool... until they created Italy, the actual thing.
They had 3 thousand years of coolness and screw up in the last 150 years.
>>
>>47374983
Prossibly.
>>
Any setting, if made by me.

You fellas are fairly unimaginative truth be told, I mean there's a wealth of source material and you just use the same four or five factoids. Shit bruvs, step up your essentialization game.

>>47375457
This is fun though. Good job.
>>
>>47372547

Super mario.
>>
>>47376762
Yes, but only as the series progresses and Mario and Luigi become more and more Italian.
>>
File: 1421721313939.jpg (381 KB, 887x1500) Image search: [Google]
1421721313939.jpg
381 KB, 887x1500
Vodacce from 7th Sea.
>>
Ancient Greece.
>>
>>47372547

Italian here. They made this.

http://www.gdrzine.com/2012/02/10/la-banda-della-magliana-sui-nostri-tavoli-con-piombo/

It's even in romanesco, goddammit.
>>
>>47373126

Wait, what?
>>
>>47382592

Greek here. Fuck you, stop saying "at least we're not Greeks."
>>
>>47372547
Guidos & Greaseballs: Fuhgeddaboutit
>>
>>47382664

you modern greeks are essentially turks, all the ancient greek blood got bred out of you by centuries of turkroach dicking
>>
File: himZD0Mh[1].jpg (15 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
himZD0Mh[1].jpg
15 KB, 250x250
>>47375886
They didn't even create Italy, the French did it. Twice.

That said, Italy "not being cool" in the past 150 years is judged solely by its military performance. Guess what? Italy's military performance had ALWAYS been shit with the exception of naval performances for Genoa and Venice. That's what happens when a specialized class of mercenaries gains a monopoly on warfare in Italy, resulting in more of a show than a battle. Anyone who marches across the Alps with an army worth half a fuck can wreck their shit. Notice that the most important wars in Italy (the Italian Wars, Napoleon's Italian campaigns etc.) did not involve any Italians as major parties. In both cases it was the French vs the Habsburgs.

It's entirely unfair to judge the Italians by just their military performance, even if it is atrocious. It makes me wonder why the French have the reputation for being bad at war, when the Italians clearly deserve it better. Even in WW2, the source of France's ridicule, the Italians were getting their shit wrecked by France until Paris fell.
>>
>>47383351

even more laughable, italians with tanks could barely beat somalians with spears
>>
>>47372547
There is an Italian tabletop set in early 60s, but because D-Day was the moment when demons raided Earth, things went to shit pretty quick.
Now I know this sounds just like fantasy kitchen sink, but the game reads as the most Italian thing ever in role-playing games
>>
>>47383351
>Italians built the relatively most powerful empire in the history of mankind
>military performance was always shit
And if you are talking about Hannibal, he was quite clever but was eventually beaten. By the time he left Italy he literally had to do it anyway since he was not able to march out of the province he was in.
>>
File: CQwIQwTWIAQvHUL[1].png (326 KB, 514x503) Image search: [Google]
CQwIQwTWIAQvHUL[1].png
326 KB, 514x503
>>47383394
The British damn near got their shit pushed in by the Zulu's and somehow fucked up so bad the last Bonaparte heir got killed by a bunch of spearchuckers yet nobody ridicules them for that. Au contraire, Rorke's Drift is depicted as a great act of heroism rather than a bunch of limeys fucking up beyond belief. Hell, even some ill-equiped Boers did better against the Zulus. Just look at the Battle of Blood River.

Either the Italians get too much shit, or the British don't get enough.
>>
>>47382610
He probably means actual Italy, not meme Italy
>>
>>47383431
>Romans beating Carthage
You know how they did that, right?
By throwing so many people into the grinder Carthagians were unable to cope for that. I mean there was a moment when the Republic build 8th fleet after loosing previous seven, to finally grind Carthage down.
>>
>>47383435
Well, there is a saying among non-Anglosaxon historians for this: "What English lost on the battlefield, they will win in the history textbooks".
It covers not only England, but also British and in extend - Americans, as they share the same mentality. No matter how hard their shit gets pushed, you won't EVER read about those events as complete failures in their textbooks (and I'm talking here about academic level, not just elementry school), because they will warp and twist everything to turn it into "tactical retreat" or "insignificant loss" or "quickly reconquered soon after" and other shit.
I dare you - go find any English-written text about First Boer War. Find a single world about British Empire being beaten completely by bunch of farmers playing commando.
>>
>>47372547
The PCs' job is to take 5 level 10 badasses and lose to a pair of level 1 australians.
>>
>>47383499
[Desire to rant about Roman virtue intensifies]
>>
>>47383435
>>47383519
This.

Reading English history books feels like reading fanfiction at times. Especially when shady stuff gets involved or Brits got their shit wrecked.
>>
>>47383536
I'm not questioning "Roman virtues". I'm questioning Roman actual battle performance during Punic Wars. It was basically "We have reserves and we will waste them to grind you down".
After all, they had to reform their army exactly because wasting so many people in Punic Wars there was barely anyone left to conscript the old way.
>>
>>47383560
Hannibal outnumbered the Romans at Zama though. And lost. Hannibal's brother also outnumbered the Romans at Ilipa where they also lost.
Throwing loads of men at Hannibal didn't win the war, it just prevented Hannibal from winning. Rome won because Scipio was a better general than Hannibal was.
>>
Dark eye
>>
I'm Italian and I love this thread.
>>
Generic fantasy with the "common" of the setting as sign language
>>
>>47372547
>>47383413

Sine Requie, it's called. It looks decent, but the authors went full moneygrab and split content among tons of rolebooks.

The setting(s) are very nice.

Italy went back to medieval times, paris is the center of conflict between nazis and what's left of the Resistence, germany is a distopic nazi regime, russia (which is my favourite) basically went "fuck this, we full commie now", built enormous metal cities and put all the population in those vault-like things.
>>
>>47384867

ah, and everywhere, everything that dies turns into a zombie in a period of time between "goddamit john has been hit" and several days.

Zombies range from semi-larval beings to homicidal undead than can also use magic
>>
>>47383351
>>47375886

Italian here, can confirm.

Jokes aside, from what I learned at school (and it's a biased view) the problems were the equipment and the terrible leadership. Italians soldiers were well trained and in the hands of a capable leader (Like Rommel) were able to do something.
>>
File: assassins-creed-2.jpg (151 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
assassins-creed-2.jpg
151 KB, 1280x720
>>47372547
Nulla è reale, tutto è lecito. Requiescat in pace.
>>
File: image.jpg (138 KB, 1420x799) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
138 KB, 1420x799
>>47372547
New Jersey
>>
>>47383351
You're disregarding actual Italian soldiers who would've fought in such conflicts. In the Italian wars those would've been Italians serving as mercenaries and troops drawn by the Habsburgs. The crusades are another example in which Italians would've also fought alongside the French and other groups of people who went on to campaign there.
>>
>>47372547
Italy
>>
>>47383199
other way around pham, most "turks" have very little turkic blood and are actually just turkified greeks/anatolians/etc. (this is why they look more like greeks and middle easterners than they look like mongolians.)
>>
File: Audie_Murphy_273.jpg (17 KB, 200x353) Image search: [Google]
Audie_Murphy_273.jpg
17 KB, 200x353
>>47383351
>when he was in Rome in the 1950s, the press asked him whether he felt any ill will towards the Italians for their part in WWII. He is reputed to have said: "No, having them on the other side probably shortened the war by six months."
>>
>>47372547
They ever play ttrpgs on Jersey Shore?
>>
File: camillo-u-peppone16.jpg (110 KB, 1024x818) Image search: [Google]
camillo-u-peppone16.jpg
110 KB, 1024x818
>>47382664

Nah m8. We just say "at least we're not french". which to me is just our envy speaking, but oh well

I don't even think the goddamn portoguese feel the need to remind others they're not greek.

>>47384867

Sine Requie is 40k on stereoids. In the sense that something like that shouldn't take itself seriously AT ANY COST but holy shit, do they take themselves seriously.

The soviet setting is literally Paranoia, played for grimndark.

I hate it with a passion, it's terrible that it's the most famous RPG thing we did after 2000.
>>
Car Lesbians with eurodance playing in the background
>>
>>47372547
RAVIOLI RAVIOLI ZOMBIES ATE MY FAMIOLI
>>
Call of Cthulhu : Jersey Shore

BRO I'M FLIPPIN OUT AT THIS FUCKIN CALAMARI EATIN DREAMS!
>>
>>47399983

To be fair considering the actual CoC characters you see being played it wouldn't sound anything out of the ordinary
>>
>>47399825
>Sine Requie is 40k on stereoids. In the sense that something like that shouldn't take itself seriously AT ANY COST but holy shit, do they take themselves seriously.
>The soviet setting is literally Paranoia, played for grimndark.
>I hate it with a passion, it's terrible that it's the most famous RPG thing we did after 2000.

Il "Made in Italy" è sinonimo di qualità.

(BTW I agree with you, it's not a great game. Also my worst con game experiece ever).
>>
>>47401094

To be fair though The One Ring seems decent for something pretty much old school.

>Maggi e Nepitello have a mixed record with BGs if you ask me
>>
>>47383519
>>47383542
>the glorious revolution
>actually the Dutch invasion
>>
>>47383499
Why is this considered a problem?

The romans had greater resources, so they used them. Their strength did not necessarily lie in every legionnaires performance, but in their ability to equip and supply a large force - and to do so several times over.

Winning a battle counts for nothing if you lose the war.
It's no wonder that everybody knows of the Roman Empire, but people squint at you when mentioning Carthage and their meagre Spanish holdings.
>>
>>47399825

I felt that the soviet setting was more inspired by Asimov (at least, that is how I would play it)

The main problem is that the different settings feel so fucking disconnected one from each other, like, different games altogether.
>>
>>47383519
>tfw my country actually celebrates their failures
It feels weird
>>
File: ijw.png (189 KB, 602x598) Image search: [Google]
ijw.png
189 KB, 602x598
>>47372547
>No Part 5 JoJo
for shame
>>
>>47395458
>other way around pham, most "turks" have very little turkic blood and are actually just turkified greeks/anatolians/etc. (this is why they look more like greeks and middle easterners than they look like mongolians.)

>implying

I have a greek friend and the only reason I know he's greek is because he tells me, he looks mid-eastern as fuck.
>>
>>47372624
/Thread
>>
I dunno why exactly, but this thread reminded me of Il Divo and the reporters monologue half way through the film.

God damn that was a good movie

It's one or the other. You're either the most cunning criminal in the country because you never got caught, or you're the most persecuted man in the history of Italy.
>>
>>47402262
It's the worst part
>>
>>47404406
Anime-only watcher detected
>>
File: dylan dog - lupin.png (657 KB, 951x400) Image search: [Google]
dylan dog - lupin.png
657 KB, 951x400
Hey italianfags, could you tell me something about these games?

Regards,
Kraut
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.