[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
¿Is there a game like dungeons and dragons that uses mostly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault.jpg (325 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
325 KB, 1920x1080
¿Is there a game like dungeons and dragons that uses mostly percentile dice?
>>
>>47354729
rolemaster
>>
Runequest/Legend. Although combat is much more brutal.
>>
>>47354944
does it have classes and levels?
>>
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, 2nd edition for best results.

>>47354985
Not exactly. Instead of classes, you have careers, and as you earn XP you get better at your career. When you finish a career, you can go on to another, more advanced one in the same stream, or you could start at a different basic career if you want to do something different with your character.

So you might be a Militiaman, become a Sergeant, then a Judicial Champion if you want to focus on being really good at fighting one-on-one, or a Captain if you want to be a leader of men.

Or maybe after Sergeant you want to go in a more spiritual direction, so you enter the Initiate career, then Priest.
>>
>>47355913
Played warhammer 2nd edition, not all my group like the careers system, they like leveling up and having more feats each level up
>>
File: AD&D.jpg (601 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
AD&D.jpg
601 KB, 1200x1600
>>47354729
>>
>>47356620
What the hell is going on with that Barbarians left arm?
>>
>>47354914
how is rolemaster combat?
>>
I'm curious why you're interested in games that use percentile dice specifically? There's not much to choose between D20 and D100 when it comes down to the actual experience of play.
>>
>>47356926
It could have the same probabilty but i am really tired of d20, also the games with percentile dice that i played have parrys and dodge something Dnd lacks
>>
>>47356988
Try GURPS.
>>
>>47356687
I've spent many years wondering that exact thing.
>>
>>47357120
Gurps uses 1d100?
>>
>>47357422
It does not. Not sure why that guy posted it. That said, it's a pretty good system if you ever want 3d6 bell curve.
>>
File: Deep Shadows.jpg (138 KB, 1500x867) Image search: [Google]
Deep Shadows.jpg
138 KB, 1500x867
>>47354729
Use D&D, but multiply the numbers by 5.
>>
File: Bellcurve.png (2 KB, 400x230) Image search: [Google]
Bellcurve.png
2 KB, 400x230
>>47357422
no, but it can do DnD without the derp and dickings
It uses 3d6 roll under, which gives a nice bell curve of probability, instead of flat lines of probability
>>
>>47357459
I have been evading gurps like a plague for years, mostly because of /tg/ memes, i dont know if i want to confirm them
>>
File: cover_lg.jpg (200 KB, 861x1169) Image search: [Google]
cover_lg.jpg
200 KB, 861x1169
>>47357588
GURPS has a setting where Memetics is a legitimate science, we know all about the memes.
>>
File: GURPS Lite.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GURPS Lite.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47357588
It's actually quite good, but it's a lot of work up-front to get going. I don't recommend it unless you want something flexible that lets you build lots of different campaigns.

In other words, if you like systems like D&D where the options and most of the campaign expectations are pre-made and ready to go, and all you gotta do is make characters and start playing... GURPS probably isn't for you.

If you ever get curious, there's always GURPS Lite; it's a 32 page, complete game, with the most important rules from the "full" books distilled down to one document.

Again, though, you kinda have to be a system tinkerer to get the most out of it if you're the GM.
>>
GURPS strikes me as a game for people that want to put not insignificant amounts of time into the game outside of actually playing it. I have only played it a few times, but it definitely earned its reputation.
>>
>>47354729
chainmail and 1st edition
>>
>>47357443
The best answer.
>>
>>47357885
Pre-campaign? Yes, it does take a significant amount of time to set up.

Once you're actually playing, however, it's a breeze. I do virtually no prep at all outside the game, save perhaps 10 minutes of scribbling notes for things I need to remember or want to throw at the players.

For me at least, the session-to-session prep is far, FAR lighter with GURPS than with something like D&D.
>>
>>47357588
Gurps has a lot of complexity, but it's mostly on the front end. Once the GM figures out what rules he'll be using and everyone has their characters built, it's generally pretty simple
>>
>>47356395
Then there is no saving you. Levels and feats are pretty much exclusively in dnd now. Everything else has pretty much left that behind.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.