[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I that guy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: RrwWbxV.png (472 KB, 493x518) Image search: [Google]
RrwWbxV.png
472 KB, 493x518
Alright lads I want some truth up in this thread. Am I the asshole that needs to change, or is it everyone else?

Since its release a bunch of people started playing AoS at my club; myself included. While everyone was excited for the game (we're 40k guys so there wasn't any rage over fantasy's death) I was one of the more serious people at the time.
Having read nearly all the fantasy novels already I decided that I wanted to play Skaven and WoC once the rules came out.
Capitalizing on the chaos, I was able to buy up a metric fuck load of models for these two armies for nearly nothing.
Shortly after getting the models the rules came out. Now being the fuckin nerd that I am I not only learned all of my dudes rules, but every other armies rules as well.

Flash forward a little bit and AoS is really taking off at our club. I win more often than most because of my knowledge and having access to more models, but it's still only like a 15% difference.
However as more rules and shit have been added I've started to win far more often.

Now I'm a fluff player. My Skaven are clan Skyre. I don't use other clans stuff and I certainly don't use other factions stuff without a good reason. I try to bring fun and fluffy armies, I will willingly take clan rats over stormvermin if my opponent doesnt have elite infantry or if the vermin wouldn't fit the theme.
I follow the same general idea with my WoC.

Despite this I have begun winning more and more often and my 'friends' are starting to give me shit for it. What started as just some jokes about me being a tough opponent have turned into comments about me either playing the "OP" armies or being a powergamer.
I play to win and I dont handicap myself unless I'm against a kid or a new player, but these are grown ass men; most of whom are twice my age. I will take fun and unique lists, but I'm still gonna play to the objective.

...cont
>>
Pt2.

I try to be a fun and relaxed guy and I genuinely like everyone at my club, but it's starting to feel like people only play me in the hopes of winning so they can say how good they are.
I haven't lost a game of AoS in about two months now. So people are starting to bring some really cheesy lists yet they still lose. I feel like a lot of them just aren't good at the game yet and make bad tactical plays, but I dont wanna be a fuckin dick and say that, or I'll be even more ostracized.

These guys still kick my ass in 40k pretty often so it's not like they're idiots either they just don't get AoS the same way I do right now, I think.

Sorry for the long ass two parter bitch fest, but I want your thoughts on this one. Am I the dick here, if so what do I do? If not how should I proceed? I don't want to start throwing games to appease anyone. I still have my pride, besides if I wanted to lose for 45min I'd play a game of league.
>>
Kill yourself.
>>
File: d3ad115d367fa896fe26d2163289a7.jpg (54 KB, 540x412) Image search: [Google]
d3ad115d367fa896fe26d2163289a7.jpg
54 KB, 540x412
>>47347994
You're not a dick.
At this point: you "got gud". You are self rewarding mastery. So now, if you want to appear less the dick, you need to start losing.
Just repeat the Dwarf Fortress motto: "losing is fun". Deliberately throw a game. Yes, I am telling you to take a fall. Because the way you have fun is becoming un-fun for your fellow gamers. If you don't let them win periodically, they will stop playing against you, and then AoS will DIE in your gaming club.
It's like this: do you think your friendships are worth victory in a game of Monopoly? Are you willing to cheat at connect 4? Have you ever shouted "Look! A Bird!" And pointed and, while they were distracted, placed your Scrabble tiles? I doubt it. Now man up, put the kid gloves back on, and take a hit for the stability of your gaming group and the fun of all.
Hope I'm more helpful than >>47349132
Seriously you asshole, meme responses are not what people come to /tg/ for. Unless it's a stat me thread.
>>
>>47347974

If they can't beat you with cheese and you really are using fluffy armies, then they just suck and need to git gud.

That's assuming you're telling the truth in all this.

Try organizing some 2v2 matches or some other kind of team shit where you can explain your tactics and learn them some knowledge.
>>
File: 1457136826611.jpg (134 KB, 623x414) Image search: [Google]
1457136826611.jpg
134 KB, 623x414
>>47347974
If you have to ask if you're being "that guy" then you're not "that guy". From what it sounds like is they're just butt mad
>>
>>47347974
>Plays AoS

I'm afraid so.
>>
File: Futurama9.jpg (34 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
Futurama9.jpg
34 KB, 540x405
>>47349218
Listen to him. Either, as the champion, you step down to their level, try teaching them something maybe, or AoS is really dead in your club. Or no one will play with you.
It's not that somethings wrong with you or other guys, it's that you're just miles better and more invested and not doing anything in this clash of playstyles one side has to change, or the whole thing crushes. It seems like they won't git gud, so you have to git bäd.
>>
>>47349218
Has a point. Wargaming is a social hobby despite what some people on /tg/ might say. Perhaps set yourself a challenge to play something that's interesting but not as powerful? I don't play AoS so I can't give a specific example.
>>
>>47347994
Now you understand why people dislike Ultramarines and like IG - they always win and only sometimes win, respectively. Be Guard, don't be smurf.
>>
>>47349218
this advice is incredibly bad

>These guys still kick my ass in 40k pretty often
so focus on that instead. if you have no legit opponents, pretending to play whether you win or lose isn't going to give anyone anything. "retire" your career only accepting and not issuing challenges until one of them manages to learn something.

while you wait for that you can entertain yourself with the game you can still lose at.
>>
>>47349218
Thanks for the actual response man (and everyone else). You're probably right, as much as I don't want to; I think I'll start throwing a few games. At the very least I'll focus on the objective less and killing stuff more like everyone else does.
I'm not about to kill a game over my pride. Besides there's plenty of skaven stuff that kills itself so at least I'll have a laugh losing.

Thanks lads, glad to hear you don't think I'm a dick.
>>
>>47350549
Well I dont want ro just stop playing either. I'm getting pretty burnt out on 40k so AoS is a nice alternative. Plus I just bought Archaon for some of our really big games.
>>
>>47350615
it really doesn't appear that you have an alternative. if they can't figure out how to beat you and can't figure out how to deal with it then you have no opponents.
>>
>>47350615
If you are not up for openly explaining things to them, as this would possibly worsen things, you might at least adopt a "teaching" playstyle.
>>
>>47351503
This is something I've been doing recently, and it definitely has helped. Our stormcast players especially have really started to improve since I started making some recommendations. I just have to be careful, there are two serious man children at my club who wig out when you tell them "how to play their army". Unsurprisingly these are the guys instigating most of the other guys into bitching about me and my army.
>>
>>47351990
I don't know if this is feasible, given those guys presence, but you could propose to switch armies for fun with the most friendly opponents. This would help on a lot of fronts.
>>
There's no crime in gittin' gud
>>
Post a list and let's see how fluffy it is

Because both Skrye ratz and WoC can do some unintentionally ridiculous shit in AoS

t. someone who made a fluff-accurate Saim Hann army in 40k and realised that it was innately fucked
>>
>>47352013
Yeah army swaps are always fun. Most of our players dont want to as their trying to learn their own stuff, but the more experienced guys will do it.
Getting to play Undead is always fun for me.
>>
>>47352121
My most recent list was a test run of the south coast GT points system as thats what our event will be using. We have a bunch of house rule restrictions as well for this first mission:
20pts max
No units over 5pts
Heros may be 6pts
One magic user max
Summoning is legal, but a wizard may only summon an amount of times equal to the number of spells he can cast a turn all game. So one spell a turn means one summon, two spells a turn means a max of two summons all game. If the spell fails the chance is still used up.

These rules are for the first game of an escalation league where your general slowly masses his army over the day.

My list is as follows, with the concept of a Chaos lord uniting the factions of chaos to lead a grand warband Archaon style.

1 Chaos Lord (mark of Khorn). 5pts
5 Warriors of Chaos (keyword Nurgle). 5pts
5 Hellstriders of Slaanesh. 5pts
1 Chaos Sorcerer (keyword Tzeentch). 5pts

The Sorcerer was able to summon a unit of daemons in both games that night. The first was 10bearers and the second was 10daemonettes.
The Lord was allowed to use his command ability once per game and only to get basic troops. In game one he got 5 warriors and in game two he failed.

The army was made in order to fit the theme of having representatives of each god and grow in size over the game as if the lords influence grew.

I understand that getting extra points in such a small game is a little bs, but I followed all the rules.
Both games were still really close and without my added units I would have lost hard. I built my army around the gimmick and really had to try to win.
Despite this one opponent in particular was a living anima of salt from turn one when I got my ladydemons. I had to sit through an hour of bitching over one unit making my army way op and how I'm exploiting the game. All this while he puts 3 of those lantern guys from SC down behind a unit of liberators and turtles in cover for a 1+ save.
>>
Show them an article from Sirling on scrub mentality.
>>
>>47347974
I am so fucking glad I play Warmachine.
>>
>>47349218

Man fuck that shit. If he's not using a cheese list himself and winning all the time then more power to him.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.