[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WWII/ cold war setting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 9
File: images.jpg (5 KB, 240x128) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5 KB, 240x128
Any advice how to hold a WWII/ cold war campaign?

I tried to bring a friend into trpg, but he said rather than medieval setting, he is more into WWII or cold war period, which I have no idea how to run.

Are there any ruleset for this? And is it really a good idea? I can't think of any plot for a single man in such a grand battle.
>>
Dont even care came here for keith thompson art.

Also is there a cold war gone hot book in the military campaign thread OP? Check there.
>>
>>47346092
I know that everyone always says, "Use gurps!" But I actually used Gurps for my "alternate history WWI & II campaign, and it worked really well.
>>
>>47346300

Twilight 2000 OP.
>>
File: mbw.jpg (138 KB, 753x737) Image search: [Google]
mbw.jpg
138 KB, 753x737
Posting relevant keith thompson art.
>>
File: medved.jpg (163 KB, 742x704) Image search: [Google]
medved.jpg
163 KB, 742x704
>>
>>47346782
Tiny Feet on Mechs look silly.
>>
File: panzerfluch.jpg (178 KB, 715x841) Image search: [Google]
panzerfluch.jpg
178 KB, 715x841
>>
File: commando.jpg (136 KB, 653x644) Image search: [Google]
commando.jpg
136 KB, 653x644
>>
File: negotiations.jpg (253 KB, 571x897) Image search: [Google]
negotiations.jpg
253 KB, 571x897
>>
File: smsbeowulf.jpg (216 KB, 571x897) Image search: [Google]
smsbeowulf.jpg
216 KB, 571x897
This one's fuckin rad.
>>
File: blossom.jpg (85 KB, 953x460) Image search: [Google]
blossom.jpg
85 KB, 953x460
>>
File: trike.jpg (90 KB, 684x407) Image search: [Google]
trike.jpg
90 KB, 684x407
Alright I'm done
>>
>>47346092
>Keith Thompson for ants.jpg
>>
>>47346092
Depending how crunchy your want your game to be you go GURPS or Savage Worlds.

And if you can't think of putting a man inside a battle, then make the battle the background event. Things are happening, front is moving, your players should hear how's the war going.

They may have episodes near or even at the front itself, but you can keep them brief there.
>>
>>47346782
how is there no suspension connection between upper and lower leg?
>>
>>47346092
Play some good ol' Red Alert 2 for cold war-turned hot ideas
>>
>>47346092
About how many players OP?
>>
WWII I think would actually be pretty reasonably easy for small forces. Take US Airborne in Normandy for example, get dropped in at night, become scattered. Single squad, maybe you aren't scattered too far apart but conveniently the players are the only ones to have found each other (perhaps one drifted into a tree and broke their neck). They have to try and meet up with other paratroopers, avoiding or ambushing German patrols on the way. They might meet up with others along the way, giving them the opportunity to ambush a German platoon marching towards the sound of gunfire in the nearest town. The players survive the night, meeting up with more or less a company, which then goes on to rescue and meet up with paratroopers in the village.
Think Band of Brothers and The Longest Day, read Ospreys for overviews.

Other ideas: Israeli tank crew in one of their mid-late 20th century actual wars
Soviets in Afghanistan
>>
3rd option, military sci-fi, perhaps with Only War?
With a little bit of knowledge of the setting you can use a high tech airborne regiment such as Elysians to give a bit more of an operators operating firm military sci-fi feel that might be more appealing. This is less beholden on you getting events and dates right and is also conducive to small unit tactics.

I've got a few ideas for campaign mission arcs but I've got to dash, if this thread is still up when I get back in a few hours I'll post.
>>
Thanks for all the advices, I will check twilight2000 and grups. I guess focusing on a small force should work. While keeping the battle as background is also a good idea, I am afraid I don't have the knowledge nor skill to create the atmosphere.

>>47348053
Solo
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.