[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If Intelligence in D&D/Pathfinder is "book smarts"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 1463558725816.jpg (711 KB, 2000x3298) Image search: [Google]
1463558725816.jpg
711 KB, 2000x3298
If Intelligence in D&D/Pathfinder is "book smarts" while Wisdom is "street smarts," then how come the Investigation skill in 5e (discovering and understanding clues in the environment) uses Intelligence, and 3.5 and Pathfinder's factotum and investigator classes use Intelligence for all their street-smarts-themed inspiration abilities?

Even beloved Dreamscarred Press's warder initiator class for Pathfinder uses Intelligence for Reflex and initiative, which seems more like "street smarts" to me.
>>
>>47343432
Because wisdom is for clerics and it worked better for skill focused classes.

Also, DSP will and has answered fan questions on a reliable rate. Shoot them an email and stop trying to fan a flamewar a year dead.
>>
>>47343466
/thread
>>
>>47343466
Are there any non-divine classes outside of 4e that use Wisdom?
>>
>>47343432
>Even beloved Dreamscarred Press's warder initiator class for Pathfinder uses Intelligence for Reflex and initiative, which seems more like "street smarts" to me.
Because there are more ways to skin a cat and Wisdom and Intelligence have plenty of overlap. A Warders reflex and initiative is less "intuition" and more like good tactical positioning, 4e had a similar deal as well where Int could determine your reflex and initiative if it was higher than your dex.
>>47343737
Yes
Primarily Psionic classes
>Psychic Warrior
>Vitalist
>Soul Knife
>Marksmen
>Medic
>Slayer
>>
>>47344703
Tactical positioning is street smarts.
>>
File: 43267720.jpg (58 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
43267720.jpg
58 KB, 500x375
>>47343432
Have you tried not playing DnD/Pathfinder? No, fucking seriously, there are OTHER OPTIONS out there besides that one fucking system which has repeatedly been shown to be more full of holes than swiss cheese.
>>
>>47346008
>ask dnd question
>get moaning from antidnd drones
>>
>>47346222
People who ask DnD questions and then bitch when they're told to play a different system are like people dying of thirst in the desert who refuse refuse an oasis of water right in front of them because they wanted Pepsi instead.
>>
>>47346280
People who come into threads they had no stake in and make allegories are the worst.
>>
>>47346280
That analogy is deep.
Not only do they refuse to drink drinkable water, but they refuse to do so because they have taste so shit that they willingly want to drink pepsi.
>>
>>47343432
Because Int is a wizard's best stat and everyone wants wizards to be more OP.
>>
>>47343432
Read the PHB.

Investigation connects specific facts together such as reading text and picking out the pertinent information. Perception is how you find the document to begin with. They have examples of this specifically in the book.

When you enter a room you would search using Wisdom(Perception) and then once you find something hidden, obscured, or mixed in a pile of other crap you use Intelligence(Investigation) to analyze it and find the important information. If there is overlap, use a different ability score for that skill check.
>>
>>47343432
Because you're applying wisdom that has been written down and documented thoroughly.
>>
>>47346660
that is interesting, didnt think about it this way
>>
>>47346514
i tend to play charisma casters more than intel casters
always found that "its not who you are, its who you know" lead to success
>>
>>47346222
if it's a dnd question (and don't want the truth spoken to you) post it on the generals.
>>
File: MUH FUN.png (237 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
MUH FUN.png
237 KB, 640x480
>>47346455
Thanks, next time I'll use DIET Pepsi to make the analogy even better.
>>
>>47348123
at least diet pepsi won't slowly kill you
>>
>>47346299
But we have a stake in this thread, anon.
We want you to try playing a system which isn't shit.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.