[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your favorite RPG company?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 11
What's your favorite RPG company?
>>
File: 1457701071680.png (14 KB, 143x286) Image search: [Google]
1457701071680.png
14 KB, 143x286
>>47337066
Pro tip: Don't say Games Workshop.
>>
>>47337218
Games Workshop doesn't make RPG's. FFG makes the 40K/Warhammer RPG's.
>>
File: aps.jpg (32 KB, 632x640) Image search: [Google]
aps.jpg
32 KB, 632x640
>>
Gamers love RPGs but they hate the companies that make them.
>>
>>47337631
They were the original publisher for WFRP.
>>
>>47337218
___WOTC____
>>
File: Steve_Jackson_Games_logo.png (82 KB, 300x361) Image search: [Google]
Steve_Jackson_Games_logo.png
82 KB, 300x361
I really like Steve Jackson Games, although I wish they would release stuff for GURPS more often, that being said they just released a new supplement and I believe I heard that it was gonna be the first in a new series.
>>
CGL, cause their editing is superb. Just ask the Shadowrun general if you want to see it
>>
>>47339272
I haven't checked out a new Shadowrun book in years but as a BT fan I can only assume that the intent of your post was to cause me to die of laughter.
>>
>>47339367
yup, if they have any proof readers they are starving
E.g. They basically copied the 4th edition to make the 5th, leading to fun stuff like using 4e qualities (think feats) that aren't even there anymore or having rules be explained over multiple disjointed pages.
It's so bad that one of the things you are told by the srg is that you NEED houserules to have it make sense
>>
File: pouroneforurhomies.jpg (79 KB, 470x698) Image search: [Google]
pouroneforurhomies.jpg
79 KB, 470x698
TSR
>>
>>47337066
Depending on what exactly counts as a RPG company, Kotodama Heavy Industries.

If that's not an option, then >>47337668.
>>
>>47337066
Lamentations of the Flame Princess Publishing or whatever Raggi's company is called.
>>
I would have said FFG before they completely abandoned 40k RPGs for Star Wars.

At least I hope they will bring something L5R-related soon.
>>
Fantasy Flight Games, Onyx Path and Arc Dream (Delta Green makers).
>>
>>47337066
Sixmorevodka and ffg
>>
File: SJG.jpg (150 KB, 1050x600) Image search: [Google]
SJG.jpg
150 KB, 1050x600
on one hand they publish my favourite RPG + a monthly magazine for it, translated and improved my favourite chess variant and showed up as a cameo in one of the best videogames of all times

On the other hand there is Munchkin
>>
File: 1456010888806.jpg (4 KB, 106x125) Image search: [Google]
1456010888806.jpg
4 KB, 106x125
>>47337066
WEG
F
>>
>>47341069
>Arc Dream
Second. Also Atlas Games.
>>
The one I founded.
>>
not um
Evil Hat
>>
Paizo, for continuing 3.5's legacy.
>>
Leading Edge Games
>>
>>47338613
>>47341380

SJGames is a real class act, over and above their truly excellent product. Jackson himself is well known for being a good guy and brimming with integrity. WHich was pretty rare in some eras in RPG publishing.

As for the product itself, even people who don't like the GURPS system love many of the supplements just as source material.

As for Munchkin, that's nearly their entire revenue stream. They support GURPS as nostalgia, affection for the fan base, and risk-management since Munchkin won't last forever and you can't bet the company on it. Meanwhile, Munchkin pays the bills.

RUnner up: FFG

These guys are very good at game design and balance. Their business model is pretty solid, but they've done very well riding GW licensing deals into prosperity and then out-competing them in minis wargaming by treating their retailers and customers decently. X-wing alone is great, but then I start seeing their great work in 40kRPGs, ASoIaF, and others.

And from what I hear, they're good guys, too.
>>
The Design Mechanism are what's left of the best Mongoose had. Those guys are some of the best around, and are really great guys on their forums.

They've elevated what Chaosim started to new heights only for Chaosim to be ultra grognards about it.
>>
>>47343341
>Leading Edge Games
Nice taste. I like the systems, too bad some of the later books have so much bloody whitespace in the margins for movie quotes, though.
>>
File: Coleman_Draws_Individual.jpg (96 KB, 899x439) Image search: [Google]
Coleman_Draws_Individual.jpg
96 KB, 899x439
>>47339272
>>47339367
Not to mention the massive embezzlement/fraud by Loren Coleman, the majority shareholder of InMediaRes, which owns CGL. He stole hundreds of thousands of dollars from convention sales and foreign language sales (estimates from March 2010, when it was supposedly stopped, are to the tune of $850,000 to $1,000,000), much of which was put towards a $650,000 house for Coleman and his wife.

Their excuse? According to the CGL press release, it was caused by unfortunate 'bad habits' like Coleman storing all the money being received in personal bank accounts instead of company accounts. There's a great bit from Frank Trollman, the guy who exposed this fraud using a dummy account on The Gaming Den:
>Loren Coleman of course is the man who proximally stole all the money. He is the center of the web of lies. It is he who demanded and received total control of the piggy bank and then sucked it dry while no one was looking. He's also trying to steal the company from the other investors. His legal defense is seriously that it only counts as embezzlement if he isn't the only owner, and that despite the fact that he took money from all his investors in exchange for partial ownership, and he has been sending them tax forms every year, that 3 to 4 years later he still hasn't gotten around to filing the forms properly to indicate that they actually own anything. So his defense against the charge of embezzlement is... interstate mail fraud. I can't even make this stuff up.
>>
File: Coleman_Draws_Cumulative.jpg (38 KB, 715x508) Image search: [Google]
Coleman_Draws_Cumulative.jpg
38 KB, 715x508
>>47350443

Oh, if you've ever heard stories about CGL/IMR being years late paying freelancers for Shadowrun or Battletech, and the payments being light when they do arrive, those are also true. At least recently, nobody has come forward to complain that they are 3 years late in getting their cheques, but whether that's CGL getting better or CGL getting better at keeping people quiet is a different matter (they've gotten good, at least with SR, at picking members of the community to do a lot of the writing in exchange for inserting their own characters into the games metafiction commentary. Fans offered baubles are less likely to point out they're being shortchanged than professional writers who depend on the money to live.

So what happened to Coleman, to Randall Bills (Loren's buttbuddy, who pushed the finance department to cover up the missing money while conscripting his own wife to help ship product to replace the employees who quit), or to Jason Hardy, the developer of SR who was the axeman when it came to cutting the game's writing pool down, which has lead to the lamentably shoddy books of today?

They're all still working for CGL. Coleman said he was going to pay the money back, but considering he still lives in his mansion I have no idea how he did it, or if he just waited out the shitstorm and walked away with a 7-figure embezzlement.
>>
File: 118669[1].jpg (1007 KB, 900x1259) Image search: [Google]
118669[1].jpg
1007 KB, 900x1259
Sanguine Games.
>>
File: Battlebabe.jpg (90 KB, 623x945) Image search: [Google]
Battlebabe.jpg
90 KB, 623x945
Lumpley Games.

I'm actually not a fan of several of their products, but the company itself seems to be well-run and well-organized. I've never heard people complain that they paid for something but didn't receive it. Baker is always immediately accessible online, both in his forums and on G+ if you want to hear his interpretation of the rules. Plus, the Kickstarter for Apocalypse World 2e was pure class: The book was already written, the game design was done, the campaign was just to get an outside editor and then get it to print. The stretch goals weren't fucking about, offering new classes and new rule sections that would stretch things out forever. The only one of note was offering to sell hardcovers for those who wanted them.

>>47346095
>And from what I hear, they're good guys, too.
I always hear terrible things about FFG management, especially from within the company- contradictory orders, hair tempers, the CEO getting personally involved in everything, etc.

Plus, I won't forgive them for the shit job they did with Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. Ignoring the 3e abomination, FFG is right now selling PDFs of the first run of the 2e books, not the updated ones the original designers made which included much-needed clarification about things like Career Advancement. FFG's only contributions to the line, the Career Compendium and Career Paths books, which were supposed to be collections of already-written material into easy reference format, are riddled with errors.
>>
>>47350443
That's not a dummy account, that's his actual name.

He's credited in at least one Shadowrun sourcebook, and you can go add him on facebook if you want. Trollman is his actual surname.
>>
Game Designers Workshop.
>>
>>47341762
WEG still exist, they got bought by White Wolf founder Stewart Wieck in April.
>>
>>47350600
>>47346095
I will always hate FFG for how badly the Anima translation was done.
>>
>>47339437
It's weird how a german company takes this pile of horseshit and wrangles a nearly decent product out of it.
>>
>>47350955
The German SR team has always had pretty heavy free reign to do the game their way, or so I've gathered over the years from German fans, so it's not really that surprising.
>>
>>47350797
Thanks. I didn't know that was his real name. I know he made up a 4e D&D class and did some other stuff online, but I figured it was just an screenname he carted from site to site for the notoriety while protecting his real identity.

Man has some balls to do that under his real name, especially given how willing he is to fling shit at anyone, anytime. Just googling his name leads me to a page full of reports of him being banned from RPG forums across the net.
>>
>>47337066
Huh.. I guess the best Company that does the most for its customers is not one I would expect...

It's... Paizo.

Too bad they don't make my favorite game.
>>
>>47343285
Definitely not Evil Hat. SJWs and ass-kissers at their worst.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.