[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So how strong is a space marine without his armor?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 12
File: spess marine.jpg (2 MB, 2724x1451) Image search: [Google]
spess marine.jpg
2 MB, 2724x1451
So how strong is a space marine without his armor?
>>
>>47334460
As strong as the plot demands
>>
>>47334460
About 4 strong
>>
>>47334460
About Str40 with an unnatural strength of 4
>>
>>47334460
About as strong as 100 Master Chiefs
>>
>Necron warriors are stated to be as strong as space marines
>Higher Necrons are stronger than space marines
>There are millions of them
>There is a few thousands of marines

How do marines win all the time?
>>
Well, I've searched around and some people said the average space marine without power armor is slightly stronger than an olympic lifter, that seems pretty strong.
>>
>>47334592
With Bolter and Blade

With Faith and Fire
>>
>>47334646
This.
Human Gestalt Field passed down through the emperor's genes
>>
>>47334592
Because Necrons are slow as fuck and most are mindless robots.
>>
Stronger than the Mountain in Game of Thrones.
>>
>>47334592
>few thousand marines
In one of the older codexes it is said there are over a thousand chapters. While not all chapters are at full strength, that is easily more than a few thousand marines
>>
A naked Astartes is comparable to a medium tier capeshit hero.
>>
>>47334693
>most are mindless robots.

>overlords direct his legions like they are extensions of himself
>overlords have many thousands of years of experience
>their slowness is compensated by their incredible durability and their huge numbers

Space marines just have bad writing.
>>
>>47334592
They don't.
>>
>>47334592
Because they normally shoot each other rather than punch each other to death.
>>
>>47334645
>the average space marine without power armor is slightly stronger than an olympic lifter
Eddie Brock, the original Venom, was an Olympian level athlete without the alien symbiote.

It's not a terribly difficult reach to say that with the symbiote Eddie could stand on a relatively even level with a Space Marine, by that logic.
>>
>>47334460
that's a big guy
>>
>>47334735
>40k just has bad writing.
I think you stumbled upon why all these "40k fluff" threads are so retarded.

Welcome to a setting that's just a really bad joke repeated by people who don't understand that they themselves are the butt of it.
>>
>>47334780
To be fair venom was really fucking strong.
>>
S4
>>
>>47334774
>all warhammer art has both sides at punching range from each other

Uh huh....
>>
>>47334785
I don't think 40K is bad as a whole, just the marine fluff.

Tau and Eldar fluff battles, if they don't include Spess mahroons, are actually okay and enjoyable.
>>
>>47334780
Alright, maybe "slightly stronger than the weight lifting world record holder" would be better.
>>
>>47334784
>>47334784
>>47334784
>>47334784
>>
>>47334780
Eddie Brock without the suit is arguably superhuman by real life standards. He can supposedly overhead press 700lbs.

Dmitry Klokov was an Olympic lifter and can bang out a 495 push press. If he were doing a strict OHP it would be lower.
>>
>>47334884
And venom can apparently overhead press about 11 tons.
>>
Well, we can all agree that a normal astartes without power armor would be pretty strong, pretty much stronger than any other person on earth, but I don't think he could lift a ton.

Now, with power armor, how strong is a space marine?
>>
File: 1308458944707.jpg (29 KB, 245x282) Image search: [Google]
1308458944707.jpg
29 KB, 245x282
quite strong
>>
>>47334592

>Necrons can remotely detonate Terra

How does the Imperium survive all the time?
>>
>>47335209
Necrons are too autistic to actually do it.
>>
File: Venom - Lethal Protector 004-011.jpg (933 KB, 1010x1500) Image search: [Google]
Venom - Lethal Protector 004-011.jpg
933 KB, 1010x1500
>>47334884
>Eddie Brock without the suit is arguably superhuman by real life standards.
I haven't followed the Venom comic for decades, but I remember in the Lethal Protector series he was said to have olympian level strength.
>>
>>47335366
Marvel Olympics are at a higher bar than Real World Olympics.
>>
>>47335421
Makes sense.
>>
>>47334592
Necrons don't give enough of a fuck to wipe them out.
>>
>>47334785
>>47334828
It's so rare that I see a post here validated so quickly.
>>
>>47334592
They don't, the Imperial Guard does. They just receive all the merit.
>>
>>47334592
They don't, books about routing marines would be boring.

Unless that book is Storm of Iron
>>
>>47334708
I remember first or second edition saying there was a marine for each planet in the imperium
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 1254x981) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 1254x981
>>47334460
Here you go.
>>47334592
Necrons aren't so bad so long as they're not on their home turf.
>>47334735
>>47334828
>Tau and Eldar fluff battles are okay
>but marine fluff isn't
>>
File: sam5.jpg (33 KB, 352x559) Image search: [Google]
sam5.jpg
33 KB, 352x559
Want some idea of how strong Space Marines could logically be? Consider real life equivalents.

http://peashooter85.tumblr.com/post/144327171477/how-to-become-a-superhuman-the-cold-is-my-only Here's a dude who learned how to control his body to where he can climb frosty mountains naked without oxygen.

You might go, "Well he's an abhuman, clearly. He's a mutant."

Well no. Because, see, he teaches other dudes to do it too. Yes, it's training. It's experience. It's conditioning. It's within the human means of overcoming it. That's right, lads and lasses, these people can swim in the arctic for near a half an hour and survive. Run across Finland the way the Masai run across Kenya.

Then we have isometric strength training, populated by circus strong men and this Lithuanian strongman from the 1800s

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/strongman-profile-alexander-zass-teaches-us-about-isometrics

This man's training allowed him to walk around with an entire piano, a pianist and a dancer on his back, and allowed him to literally break out of POW camps four times just breaking his chains and bending the bars apart.

To think Space Marines would be anything less than this, given how they're so overly engineered to be ridiculously strong and enduring, how they're intended to have hundreds to thousands of years of training and experience, does humanity's theoretical peak injustice.
>>
>>47334460
where his dick
>>
>>47336201
Yeah a million or so
>>
>>47334525
Pretty much this. From author to author, armorless marines are strong enough to flip over a tipped Rhino, or weak enough to get pulled down by a few human cultists.
>>
>>47334735
>overlords have many thousands of years of experience
>their [X] is compensated by their incredible durability and their huge numbers
Why are tyranids losing at all?
>>
>>47336665
Because tyranids walk through life while every other race takes the bus. They have no FTL travel and don't use the webway or warp anywhere.

If the Necrons decided they wanted to get rid of the Tyranids, they could do it within 100 years just by disintegrating them and leaving nothing left. But they don't, because they're short sighted war robotic narcissists that can't see the forests for the trees.
>>
>>47334780
Venom is stronger than spider-man, spider-man can lift between 10 and 50 tons(or even more) depending on the incarnation and who is currently writing. Can a space marine lift 10 tons?
>>
>>47336744
>They have no FTL travel
THat's false.
They got Narvhal ships creating hyperspace gates for the rest of the fleet.
>>
File: I CAST FIST.jpg (178 KB, 605x605) Image search: [Google]
I CAST FIST.jpg
178 KB, 605x605
I didn't find the 40k RPG general open, so I've decided to post my findings here... because in game mechanics, a Space Marine can be ass-ravagingly STRONK.

In Deathwatch, as many know is balance-wise, absolutely fucked down to its core, Space Marines start out with Unnatural Strength AND Toughness x2. The limits for carrying/lifting/pushing weight in that game depends on the combined Strength and Toughness bonuses of that character.

A 40 or above in a stat is considered normal for a Space Marine, so the average super soldier has a combined SB+TB of 16 (4x2+4x2) without his armor.

At this point, he may carry 675kg, lift 1350kg, and pull 2700kg of weight.

Assuming he has 45 in Strength, a cheap 200xp simple advance (Deathwatch PCs start out with 12000xp) gives him a good round 50. That's an SB of 10 from the very start, which combined with a TB of 8 gives our erstwhile Space Marine a total of 18 (5x2+8x2).

At this point, he may carry 1350kg, lift 2700kg, and push 2400kg of weight.

This does not yet take into account of the Space Marine's power armor, which gives a +20 to Strength by default. While this bonus isn't multiplied by his Unnatural Strength, the 70 Strength and SB of 10 is enough to push the total to 20 ((5x2+2)+4x2).

At this point, he may carry 2250kg, lift 4500kg, and push 9000kg. Incidentally, this is also where the weight chart in the core rulebook ends, so this can be assumed as the maximum limit of beyond the limit of human strength.

This is a starting level Space Marine as Deathwatch interprets it. This terrifying mountain of strength is fresh out of the fortress-monastery. What the fuck a continent-chucking god monster can carry on his back will be explained in my next post, simply because the post limit hates me.
>>
>>47337765
In 'Murican units of measure, that's effectively being able to walk around like 5000 pounds of clothes on your back, lift 9000 over your head and push 20K pound blocks/10 tons of stuff around.
>>
File: HONORED BROTHER PAULDRONIUS.png (53 KB, 1072x686) Image search: [Google]
HONORED BROTHER PAULDRONIUS.png
53 KB, 1072x686
>>47337765
Well, his carrying limit is detracted somewhat by his power armor (which weighs only a paltry 180kg), so his effective upper limit is reduced to 2070kg.

What can he do with that 2070kg of objects, do you ask?

Note: In Dark Heresy and its sister systems, a character only counts as encumbered when the weight they're carrying is above their weight limit, kind of like a very shitty Dark Souls. I hope you remember this.

Well, an Astartes power sword is statted to weigh 5kg. Out of that 2070kg limit of weight, 414 power swords can be forced into every nook and cranny in the Space Marine's power armor, and then some. Of course, having 414 power swords stick out of every available surface (including the extradimensional ones) reduces the only method of attacking to running at people while your spine-like coating of power swords blazes blue enough to rip through reality.

I mildly recall that there was once a screencap of a Blood Angels marine, done by someone smarter than I am, who can run at supersonic, or perhaps hypersonic speeds. I want you to picture a marine-sized ball of 414 power swords running at you, faster than even your eye can see.

Truly terrifying alternatives include balls of 115 thunder hammers, 69 lightning claws, or 43 chainfists, each one tumbling towards you at hypersonic speeds.

But it doesn't end there.

As simply bolters aren't exciting enough, it is possible to stick 172 of the 12kg melta bomb onto every available surface (and then some) of our nukemarine. A single fidget of this weapon of mass destruction would send all 172 of those melta bombs exploding simultaneously.

We are become death, the ravager of asses.

Of course, this method does not work with ranged weapons. But it doesn't matter, as the average marine can carry and fire two lascannons at once, presumably while walking. Multiply that into a force of dozens, or hundreds, and this will raise questions as to why the xenos even bother.
>>
>>47334460
Stronger than the majority of the Imperial Guard's warriors. A fight with an unarmed & unarmored Space Marine is in some chapters' initiation ritual. People typically expect the trainee to lose, despite being armed, & judge based on extent of failure.
>>
>>47334460
MCU captain America
>>
>>47336313
This

tbqh most fluff of space marines paints them to be pretty pathetic, even in armour
>>
>>47334460
About as strong as a modern athelete/MMA fighter. Humans in 40k are shriveled and weak due to mutation, malnutrition, and disease, space marines are about equal to modern athletic humans without power armor.

Not talking shit, they could probably stomp the crap out of me but they would have problems with combat trained people (a modern Marine would have a better than even chance to beat one in a fight).
>>
>>47338185
Very subtle troll, or out-of-control head canon?
>>
>>47336633
To say nothing of the armor itself. Power armor is one thing, but terminator plate ranges from literally indestructible to sticking a bunch of rocks in a sweatshirt so you move slowly and die just as easily.
>>
>>47338053
In retrospect, I regret posting Pauldronius so early, now that know that I had to make a third post, because my most curious finding, and the one that spurned me on to make these discoveries, happened when I crossed games.

Artificer armor weighs 100kg, which gives a massive amount of breathing room for me. With that, the limit is increased to 2150kg.

Only War gives the weight of everyone's favorite earthshaker cannon a featherweight 800kg.

I don't know how big the crew needed to maintain an earthshaker cannon is, but I will assume 3 men: one man to load, one man to fire, and one man to aim.

A guardsman can be assumed to be an able-bodied man. A quick google search gives me that the average weight of an able-bodied male is 70kg, which I am not so sure is true, but I'll accept it anyway.

Because their role is to maintain and fire a basilisk (and because of shenanigans), these guardsmen are assumed to only wear a full set of flak armor, which Only War conveniently tells me is 11kg for the whole suit of armor.

Finally, a heavy bolter weighs 40kg.

According to Deathwatch, a Space Marine in artificer armor (100kg) is fully capable of balancing an earthshaker cannon (1600kg) on each of his pauldrons, each crewed by three guardsmen (420kg), each fully armored (68kg), while picking off close-range targets with a heavy bolter (40kg), and still be able to run and walk.
>>
>>47338368
So what you're telling me is that by the mechanics own numbers, a Space Marine could run around a battlefield as freerunning artillery with six other dudes firing the guns.

This is hilarious.
>>
>>47334460
Black carapace.
>>
File: 1460154410704.jpg (196 KB, 1023x1018) Image search: [Google]
1460154410704.jpg
196 KB, 1023x1018
>>47338368
WE NEED A DRAWFAG NOW!!!!
>>
>>47336785
I'm much more familiar with Spidey himself than with Venom in particular. Is Venom actually stronger than Spider-Man's top end or just stronger than the way Spider-Man usually acts?
>>
>>47338695
I'm 90% sure Venom is canonically ACTUALLY stronger than spider-man. Otherwise he wouldn't be much of a nemesis.
>>
>>47338695
On his own, Spider-Man is very strong and agile.

Eddie Brock is 'peak human' in strength, stamina and agility, but his normal human form isn't superhuman. He's just stimulated to be the best he can be by his lifestyle and the symbiote tweaking him up like Fry in Futurama when he had space worms.

Venom, Eddie + Symbiote, is stronger than Spider-Man.

Spider-Man in the black suit is both super ridiculously strong, *and* ruthless and cruel.
>>
>>47338823
yes, because Eddie Brock trained for a long time, lifting weights and pushing himself, and the symbiote, to higher levels. All for the purpose of killing Spider-Man.
>>
File: 1456664072184.png (160 KB, 790x1700) Image search: [Google]
1456664072184.png
160 KB, 790x1700
>>47336313
Humanity's potential is near infinite people, our rule over the stars is merely a matter of time.
When He comes, we'll be ready.

Seriously though, it's super fucking cool to read stuff like that, it feels like we all are potential superhuman and such a warrior race.
>>
>>47334592
>few thousand
each chapter is about 1000 strong.
Thousands of chapters.
Few million at the minimum.
>>
>>47334460
It says their not as strong as the thunder warriors, but still far beyond an Olympian, every average SM should be able to bench and overhead around 1000 lbs/ 1/2 ton, should be able to run faster than 30mph, and push a car at just a little slower than that, they couldnt pick the car up, but 2 could swing and throw it over 10 yards, 3 or 4 should be able to push a tank, even slide it slowly if its treads stopped, something fairly heavy like a full suitcase or even a 2-300lb barrel of oil they could throw around 50 yards, my imagination of a fairly superhuman genetically engineered soldier anyway
>>
>>47339694
It's still a retardedly low number, even for the idiots who wrote 40k, if the population is hundreds of trillions, a few million is nothing
>>
>>47339977
That's the whole point you dumbfuck.
>>
>>47335209
Only a secretive sect has the tech. They can not reproduce it and keep it hidden. Do Necronfags even know their own lore?
>>
>>47339977
>if the population is hundreds of trillions

I've heard estimates in the 5 quadrillion range.
>>
>>47336744
Nids take the Ferrari which is also alive. Everyone else is taking the bus or staying in kindergarten.
Necrons had a combi once now they have Alzheimer.
>>
File: space marine carry limit.png (250 KB, 1863x1036) Image search: [Google]
space marine carry limit.png
250 KB, 1863x1036
>>
File: Necron Deathmarks.png (2 MB, 1168x858) Image search: [Google]
Necron Deathmarks.png
2 MB, 1168x858
>>47335209
Because those particular Necrons in question are absolutely insane and only use that power as an absolutely last resort, and then spend centuries cleaning up the mess that using the Celestial Orrery created in the first place.

Not to mention that the Necrons, as an overarching "Empire," do not exist like the Imperium. Each Dynasty answers only to its patron Dynasty, itself and occasionally the Triarch, and nobody else. The Silent King can theoretically come back and unite them, but it is certainly not an easy task and many Dynasties wouldn't go along with it willingly (those that are even sane enough to understand what they would be doing in the first place).
>>
>>47334460
A naked space marine is physically strong enough to rip apart power armor, punch through tank armor, and easily lift two tonnes or more.
>>
>>47334592
Necrons are actually incredibly shitty soldiers, the base warrior is a barely sentient or non-sentient peasant-turned-drone, has zero sense of self preservation or evasive maneuvers, and can be easily targeted because all they do is march in a straight line in formation.

Immortals are the nasty fuckers equal to a space marine, but they're far more rare.
>>
>>47341990
their redeeming qualities involve instantly teleporting home once damagedtoo much to function, and guns that can de-atomize most anything.
>>
>>47334592
Codex Astartes tactics my Battle Brother.
Gulliaman has written the guide to defeating of enemies of the spiritual liege.
>>
>>47341460
Rip oldcrons
>>
>>47334708
I always headcanon'd it as there being like 10-100 million instead of 1 million, with chapters being 10,000 instead of 1000. Like that's an absurdly small number for a faction as large as the Imperium where you have quadrillions of people and millions of planets to defend.

Also, chapters with their own codex are at 100,000 man strength (either through successor fuckery like Dangles and Bangles, just not giving a fuck with Space Wolves, or sheer necessity with GK's).
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.