[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/exg/ Exalted General - Why aren't you playing Anima edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: 1402783866655.jpg (371 KB, 577x776) Image search: [Google]
1402783866655.jpg
371 KB, 577x776
>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: http://jyenicolson.net/exalted/. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. There were a lot of lesbians though. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on /tg/. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition

>Final 3E Core Release
https://mega.nz/#!ctgxyJaC!ygkrLnFsrnBJzIUZY-dJsMfyFrhFQgDsQuuo52fcW0I
http://www.mediafire.com/download/q51qw8skdw1rg15/Exalted_3e_Core.pdf

>Frequently updated Character Sheet with Formulas and Autofill https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pfjmZKzcUqAX9mB58IAEUIFkZr8rq4CvdRRM4kzwwgU/edit?usp=sharing
>General Homebrew dumping folder: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: https://imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: https://imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: https://imgur.com/a/TYKE4

Resources for 2.5 Edition:
>All books with embedded errata notes, as well as some extras: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/253ulzik1j9s5/Exalted
>Chargen software: http://anathema.github.io/
>Anathema homebrew charm files: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/pka3nz3vqbqda/Anathema_Files
>MA form weapon guide: http://www.brilliantdisaster.net/dif/ExaltedMA.html
>http://www.mediafire.com/view/ua7tanepy2jfkdp/Exalted_2nd_Ed_-_Return_of_the_Scarlet_Empress.pdf

Resources for 1e:
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9vp0e9id3by6m/Exalted_1e

Anima is more popular, why aren't you playing it?
>>
id rather play 2.5 than anima.
>>
>>47331694
>Anima is more popular
[Citation Needed For This Bait]
>>
>>47331694
No Anima general thread.

>>47332061
I'd rather play 2.5 than 3, for that matter. The old one really wasn't that bad, and the new one has shit for support so far. I don't understand why Holden hates 2.5e - and I don't understand how he can hate it with a straight face, either. It seems like something out of Microsoft: "sure we spent eight years improving our last product and putting out supplements and upgrades for it, but our new product is SO MUCH BETTER you really need to buy that instead now! Kindly disregard the time I spent pimping previous product."
>>
>>47332251
First, he no longer gains anything from people playing 2.5. Second, he spent last few years working his ass out on 3. Third, he and Morke really didn't like 2.5 paradigm, even if they understood it and wrote with it in mind when they were still Ink Monkeys.
>>
>>47332251
No. 2.5 was better than base 2E, but it all it has going for it compared to 3E is a bunch more books.

And it's really telling how people have been homebrewing Alchemicals and Infernals for 3E rather than just playing 2E.
>>
>>47331694
But the best I could say about anima is that "it isn't worse than 2E"
>>
>>47332427
That isn't telling at all, homebrew is a FACT of tabletop gaming.
>>
>>47332473
Homebrewing your custom sword or few charms, maybe. But homebrewing entire SPLAT isn't, especially when you can just play previous edition. Of course these people had old materials and it was more of a conversion than working from ground up but still, it's a lot of work.
>>
>>47332473
Nobody ported over splats from 1E when 2E came out.
>>
>>47332251
Yeah, I would to love to learn how to play a game with multiple books of errata and houserules that bandaid a fundamentally flawed core system
>>
>>47332676
But are you talking about 2.5 or anima?
>>
>>47332697
Probably both, I'd guess.
>>
>>47332591
I seem to recall homebrew infernals for 2e.
>>
>>47331694
Hey OP, please use this link for the Anathema custom charms, as I've updated them with an Elloge charmset.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ddtp2932ad32j/Anathema_Custom_Files
>>
i fell down and hit my head, suffering severe brain damage, and now i love anima
>>
>>47334026
Ah, that's what we call the 'Anima Valley' where you're mentally impaired in such a way that you can enjoy Anima but also cogent enough to make any sense of the rulebook.

Surprisingly common phenomena.
>>
>>47334138

Actually, I think insanity helps in extracting information from the Anima rulebook.
>>
>>47333393
Infernals were never a thing in 1E.
>>
>>47334524
I nonetheless seem to recall homebrew infernals for 2e. Guess they must have been created ad hoc rather than ported, then.
>>
>>47332427
>>47332516
And what does Terrifying Argent Witches tell us on this score?
>>
>>47336059
That SB/SV is full of autists?
>>
>>47331694
>why aren't you playing it?
what is?
>>
>>47332427
...that people love those two exalt types and aren't going to wait 9 years to use them with the new stuff?

especially since they've said they're reworking infernals from the ground up, some people might want to use the old version
>>
>>47336574
Yeah, they love those exalt types enough to have to play as those splats in whichever edition they play.
But they seem to prefer 3rd edition so strongly to put in the effort to make or wait for those homebrew conversions rather than just play the existing splats in 2nd edition.
>>
>>47333393
Devil Tigers were, by default, homebrew.

Which is why they are not going to be a thing this time around. Supposedly. YMMV. Morke and Holden are liars. (this post a limited liability corporation registered in jersey)
>>
in 2ed solars gave a charm to learn from p to 5 yozi. they can't use this to unlock hereticals right?
>>
>>47337113
he is talking about the ones people made from the very start based off abyssals. do a google search speculation and charmsets'll still pop up
>>
File: 1448148454211.jpg (279 KB, 764x1080) Image search: [Google]
1448148454211.jpg
279 KB, 764x1080
>>47333855
>Hey OP, please use this link for the Anathema custom charms, as I've updated them with an Elloge charmset.
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ddtp2932ad32j/Anathema_Custom_Files
Yeah ok, let me get right on editing the OP...

Are you a newfag?

>>47336059
Nothing good, that's for certain.
>>
>>47337273
>Yeah ok, let me get right on editing the OP...
>Are you a newfag?
It's generally understood it means include the link in future threads.
>>
>>47337399
No. "Hey please use this link in the OP next thread" is generally understood.

What was said is autistic at best and retarded at worst.
>>
>What was said is autistic at best and retarded at worst.
Can't think of a better way to describe >>47337444
>>
>>47337125

Correct. Even if a Heretical Charm only used one Yozi's Charms as prerequisites, it's still not a Charm of that Yozi.
>>
>>47337444
sure....if read with your head up your ass by the light peaking in through your mouth...
>>
File: daybreak.jpg (133 KB, 659x799) Image search: [Google]
daybreak.jpg
133 KB, 659x799
I've just reread the Medicine charms for the first time in a while, and I'm baffled. What's the difference between Instant Treatment Methodology and Body Sculpting Essence Method? And why are all the high Essence charms mote managers and roll enhancers? How high could you actually need to roll on a medicine roll, that you need double 7s?
>>
>>47338397
>What's the difference between Instant Treatment Methodology and Body Sculpting Essence Method?
Convalescence.
ITM can suture someone shut in an instant, but they still have to rest for the normal period, while BSEM is a combat-time Charm.

>And why are all the high Essence charms mote managers and roll enhancers?
Two factors: applying Medicine to large groups at once, and applying Medicine in combat-time, where motes are more precious.

>How high could you actually need to roll on a medicine roll, that you need double 7s?
Taking the Dawn from death's door, riddled with poisons and missing an arm, to back in the fight, all in one action.

Flat out doubling the Dawn's HLs is huge all by itself.
>>
>>47338397
>I'm baffled. What's the difference
Effectively nothing. Your Storyteller definitely doesn't know or care.

It's all waffles and raspberries!
>>
>>47331694
>Why aren't you playing Anima edition
>tfw your game died
I-it had a good run ;_;
>>
>>47334138
Alternative, you're just on the mental state of being a semi-educated spic
>too stupid to understand why it's shit
>smart enough to be able to math
>>
>all this talk about Anima
So what's the deal with Anima? Is it complete shit? Or is it good? Don't know anyone who talks or plays it in my city, but then again I'm not from Muricah, so it might be different there.
>>
>>47339503
Not really popular/niche.
Pretty crunch heavy.
Has a weird ass tone (you step from maximum weeaboo to the extreme westaboo style)
Generally weird lore.
Gets a videogame next month (lolconsolegraphics).
Probably the second worst FFG translation (first one was a french weird WWII game).

/tg/ hates anima for some reason. Although every time they explained it, it was them playing it incorrectly or just wanting a narrative instead of crunchy game. I think it's because it shits on american mentality pnp where you must be min-maxed to all fuck, plus bad translation and mathy.
>>
>>47339591
Are you talking about Exalted?

Oh no wait, you said video game next month.
>>
>>47339503
From the bits I read (a friend's actually playing a so heavily homebrewed version of it it's almost another game entirely), it's a poor man's Exalted.
My friend homebrewing it to the extreme whereas he's usually a "by the book" guy also inclined my judgement.
>>
>>47331694
I picked up the Anima rulebook out of curiosity when Borders went out of business.

Character creation seems cool but the system feels unplayable.

That's why I don't play Anima
>>
>>47332591
Because 2e was worse than 1e so people just kept playing 1e. If 3e was worse than 2e people would just play 2e.
>>
>>47340822
>Because 2e was worse than 1e
I don't know if I'd go *that* far.
>>
>>47340822
Yes, that's pretty much the point I was making.

That the reason people are spending all this time and effort homebrewing all the other splats for 3E rather than just playing 2.5, is because 2.5 really is much worse than 3E.
>>
>>47341074
For all of 1E's flaws, it was at least willing to use turns instead of ticks.
>>
>>47341126
For all of 2e's flaws, at least its combat paradigm didn't collapse into lasting literally forever.
>>
>>47341149
Well, unless you used perfect defenses in 2E, in which case yeah, /it totally did/
>>
>>47341156
No, it just lasted figuratively forever. Big difference.
>>
>>47338397
Say you use wound mending care technique. That charm says you need to work for fifteen miuntes to an hour and then the patient must rest for a full day in order to be healed. Instant treatment takes the work down to a few seconds but the dude still has to rest. Body sculpting takes the whole process down to a few seconds. So in essence its as close as you get to cure wounds in exalted. The bonus success charms are for dudes with alot of health levels. You can basically do open heart surgery in combat time with them
>>
>>47341177
It lasted as long as all involved could keep coming up with 2-dice stunts, or stopped caring.
>>
Does Benefit of Celestial Healing + Feint of Imparted Nature give free health levels to everyone?
>>
File: ESkgf.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
ESkgf.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>47341126
>>47341149
>>47341156
>>47341177
For all of these straws, at least it's not your last grasp.
>>
>>47342029

Sure, if you have a long enough downtime.
>>
>>47340547
It isn't unplayable but it's definitely only for guys who really liked Rolemaster.
>>
well op...if you link a rulebook pdf I'll give it a try
>>
/tg/, are there any Solar charms in 3e that let me shove an ally change an allies position? Like, if they were in harms way, I could throw them away and to safety?
>>
>>47343110
Well I believe there are reflexive defend other charms that would let you at least interpose your DV against the opponents attack. If they beat it then it lets them choose to hit you or try and use the remainder against the original targets DV.
>>
>>47343110
pick them up with a miscellaneous action on your turn and monkey leap away after disengaging
>>
>>47343273

I think there's a Crane Style charm that lets you fly off with them.
>>
>>47343110
Unassailable Guardian Posture.
>>
>>47340465

I'd say it's trying for something different than exalted is.

I'd also say it's more functional than exalted 1e/2e ever was.
>>
Does someone remember how many XP you should give instead of bonus points on character creation? (I remember there was a thread about it or something)
>>
>>47343901
75xp, with flat costs for ratings.
Attributes 10xp each, Favored Abilities 4xp each, Nonfavored Abilities 5xp each, rest are normal core progression costs.
>>
File: 75xp Starting.png (25 KB, 563x306) Image search: [Google]
75xp Starting.png
25 KB, 563x306
>>47343901
is this what you're looking for?
>>
File: mista.jpg (70 KB, 338x500) Image search: [Google]
mista.jpg
70 KB, 338x500
Have any of you had Fair Folk in your games? I'm trying to figure out how to make them serious threats to a Solar circle because they usually seem pretty disorganized, but that might just be my interpretation of them being wrong.
>>
>>47343901
Everyone is say 75, but I've always done 60. 4xp per bonus point. Guess i've been doing it wrong.
>>
So, I just tried to adapt a Tomescu to 3e. Here's how it turned out. I'd greatly appreciate all criticism and input.

Tomescu, the Clamorous Cloud Arsenals
(Based on pages 122-123 of GoD and 89-91 of RoGDII)
It is said that every tomescu knows its ultimate destiny. From the moment of its birth, a tomescu realizes the moment of its death. The image of its own mortality burned into its consciousness, each tomescu cries out in pain twice a day. In Creation, this scream comes at dawn and dusk; in Malfeas, where the light of Ligier is unrelenting, the collective screams of the tomescu mark a passage from day to night that would otherwise be undetectable. Supposedly, only a single tomescu in 100 does not cry out. Of these, 99 in 100 are stoic or addled. Only one tomescu in 10,000 foresees a beauteous end; these tomescu, other demons fear.

The form of a tomescu generally cannot be discerned in full, for each is perpetually surrounded by a thick cloud, an airy vapor that partakes of the creature’s Essence. From this fog emerges an assortment of the tomescu's many long, insectile legs, each usually ending in a weapon of some sort bonded to the tomescu at the last joint - spiny raptorial legs, like that of a mantis, as sharp and lethal as metal blades; the smashing or spearing thoracic appendages of a stomatopod, as hard as hammers or piercing as lances respectively; axes with blades of steel-cutting keratin; even chitinous bows. Each tomescu is born with its weapons at the ready and a preternatural skill at using them. Though most of these limbs end in weapons below the joint, the innermost limbs have either hands capable of working the bows and manipulating other objects or feet like the tarsus of a spider's leg to support the tomescu in its crablike gait. Ancient texts depict the tomescu’s true form as resembling a massive snow crab with the wings of a praying mantis on its back, dozens of armed limbs jutting improbably from all sides of the demon’s body.

(cont)
>>
>>47345790

Though they are quite skilled at it, the tomescu do not live for violence, existing as they do with an innate understanding of their own mortality. To them, the matters of beginnings and endings hold no interest, nor the matters of life and death. They live for the instants of the present and in furious service of the Yozis, who endure past time. They listen to the air of the Demon City and from it glean the whims and will of the Demon Princes. The tomescu move from place to place in the city, carrying out their incomprehensible tasks, performing strange, seemingly innocuous acts such as rearranging a road sign, sabotaging a wagon wheel, or saving the life of a penniless urchin. Such actions seem random and often out of character for a demon; only years later does the tomescu’s minor alteration of destiny take hold in a way that advances the Yozis’ will. Given their druthers, they do no differently when freed to act in the mortal world, as they are when occasionally summoned into Creation after destiny is thwarted.

Essence: 2; Willpower: 5; Join Battle: 8 dice
Personal Motes: 70
Health Levels: -0/-1x5/-2x5/-4/Incap.
Actions: Climbing and clinging to surfaces: 6 dice; Feats of Strength: 8 dice (may attempt Strength 5 feats); Flying maneuvers: 6 dice; Interpreting omens: 7 dice; Resist Poison/Illness: 7 dice; Senses: 7 dice; Stealth: 4 dice; Threaten: 7 dice; Tracking: 4 dice
Appearance 4 (Hideous), Resolve 4, Guile 2

Combat:
Attack (Melee): 12 dice (Damage 15)
Attack (Archery): 11 dice (Damage 12; unlike its other innate weaponry, a tomescu only possesses arrows it gains in a mundane fashion.)
Attack (Grapple): 8 dice (11 dice to control)
Combat Movement: 7 dice
Evasion 3 (2 while airborne), Parry 5
Soak/Hardness: 10/6

(cont)
>>
>>47345820

Merits:
Diabolical Herald Prognostication: By listening to the air of Malfeas, a tomescu gleans how it might best fulfill the will of the Yozi. This purpose is imprinted within them, so they are naturally in tune with the patterns of destiny and thus the astrological forces of Creation, knowing in the moment how they must meddle with the flow of destiny to achieve their master's desires. Unfortunately, it often cannot explain or doesn’t understand the significance of these omens beyond its own experience. Even so, a tomescu may be compelled to interpret its auguries in relation to those around it.
Once a day per target, a tomescu may attempt to foresee the destiny of a character with some direct relation to it at difficulty 3 using an interpretation roll of 7 dice; success allows a tomescu to make a short statement about the next major event in the character's life within the day or week, while failure means the tomescu is unable to come to any useful conclusion at that time. This prediction does not assert where the character's life will wind up, but rather something that will happen to them if their present course is maintained. In practice, the tomescu's statement is usually as insightful as a thaumaturge reading tealeaves.
After a successful reading, a tomescu has deduced what it could and cannot attempt another prediction for a character until the event it hinted at has either come to pass or has been avoided, while a failed reading cannot be retried until the tomescu renews its prophetic insight when it next screams at either dawn or dusk. The readings of one tomescu will not substantially diverge from those of another, and if one tomescu cannot glean any meaning from its omens, neither can its peers.
Because of this ability, a typical tomescu -must- cry out at dawn and at each day’s end as its intuition of destinies flow is renewed, even if it desires stealth.

(cont)
>>
>>47345864

MORE Merits:
Many-Limbed Deterrence: The tomescu's excess of weapon-tipped limbs makes it extraordinarily difficult for enemies to find an opening. It does not take onslaught penalties to its Parry Defense from any attack, although magically-inflicted onslaught penalties still apply against it. Experts at fighting multiple opponents, tomescu ignore the onslaught penalty they would otherwise receive from being affected by a pincer attack.

Unseen Sight: Tomescu can perceive immaterial spirits even while they themselves are materialized.

Offensive Charms
Preordained Encounter Readiness (3m; Supplemental; Instant; Essence 2): The tomescu is ever prepared against opponents it knows it was destined to fight. This Charm supplements a Join Battle roll, granting the tomescu a single additional success for each opponent it rolls higher than on its Join Battle roll, even as a result of this charm, up to a maximum of 5 successes.

Unending Tide of Strikes (7m; Simple; One scene; Essence 2): The tomescu's limbs attack wildly in a rampant onslaught against their foes. Enemies with an Initiative three points or more below the tomescu's own take a -1 onslaught penalty to Defense against it, while the tomescu gains +1 Parry against their attacks. Whenever the tomescu successfully deals Initiative damage with a withering attack that causes its attacker’s current Initiative to fall below its own, it may reflexively activate Unending Tide of Strikes.

Principle of Motion (10m, 1wp; Reflexive; Instant; Essence 2): The cloud arsenal moves with blinding speed, taking a flurry without the usual restrictions—it can flurry two of the same action if desired, and it ignores the usual penalties to dice pools and Defense.

(cont)
>>
>>47345894

Defensive Charms
Preemptive Retaliation (1m or 4m; Reflexive; Instant; Counterattack, Decisive-only; Essence 1): The tomescu already knows its opponent's vector of attack and responds accordingly. Successful defense strips a point of Initiative from the tomescu's attacker and, for an additional 3m, allows the tomescu to respond with a decisive counterattack. It may use this counterattack to make a disarm gambit.

Miscellaneous Charms
Hurry Home (10m, 1wp; Simple; Instant; Essence 1): The demon fades away and vanishes on its next turn, drawn instantly to its summoner’s side. This Charm is unavailable when the demon is unbound.

Immaterial Intersection (1m; Supplemental; Instant; Uniform; Essence 1): Because of their unique role as herald's of the Yozi's transcendent wills, a tomescu's body may briefly span the threshold between the material and immaterial without fully shifting states, never wholly cut off from its masters. This is a Supplemental Charm that allows the Tomescu to take limited action against the immaterial while they are materialized, such as nudging immaterial objects, or act on the material while they are dematerialized, such as whispering a brief message to a material individual. For 1m, they may launch a single attack against an unmanifested spirit while material. They may not attack the materialized while they themselves are dematerialized, but they may take Defend Other actions for a material ally, briefly manifesting as an impeding wisp of smoke.

Materialize (35m, 1wp; Simple; Instant; Essence 1): A cloud of thick grey smog abruptly puffs into existence and expands to the tomescu's proper size, followed by its many limbs extending outward.

Measure the Wind (5m; Simple; Instant; Essence 1): The tomescu can discern the nature of anyone it recalls from its prophetic auguries.

And there you have it. Any critique, corrections, pointing out ways in which this write-up is fucked, etc. is very much welcomed. Thank you in advance.
>>
Do the parry bonuses of the defensive Melee charms stack with the bonuses of the Crane style?

Or any other parry/tank happy charm sets really.

I mean... there's nothing saying they technically can't, as long as you're unarmored and using a war fan?
>>
>>47346657

Martial Arts Charms can't be combo'd with native Charms.

Some STs will let you stack scenelongs between the two, others won't.
>>
>>47346716
>Martial Arts Charms can't be combo'd with native Charms.

However, *combo* isn't defined particularly well anywhere in the system, so that doesn't actually communictae much.
>>
>>47346766

The rules don't use the word combo, I did.

>In short—Martial Arts Charms are not compatible with Brawl, or any other combat Ability, unless they explicitly state otherwise. A bare-handed attack cannot benefit from both the maiming precision of Snake style’s Crippling Pressure-Point Strike and the devastating force of the Heaven Thunder Hammer; wielding twin blades in the katas of Steel Devil style is entirely unlike the pragmatic fundamentals of the Melee Ability.
>>
>>47346657
Crane Charms raise your Crane style MA Ability-based Parry, Melee Charms raise your Melee Ability-based Parry.
You could use Melee Parry to defend against 1 attack, and Crane Parry against another, within the same turn.
You can use one for offence and one for defence, but generally you can't use them on the same thing at the same time.

At least, this is what I'm getting based on the reading and developer responses.
>>
>>47346766

You can't use the charms at the same time in the same action as they count as different maneuvers, but ongoing effects like scene-long and indefinite charms are fair game.
>>
homebrew spells, tg, i want them
>>
>>47346837

Which means that the answer to the original question is "yes", because the defensive bonuses in Crane style are from it's Form (scene-long) and Fluttering Cry of Warning (round-long).

>>47346827

Which makes it pretty clear that a single attack can't be enhanced by multiple charms, but it doesn't say much about the interaction between scene-long effects and reflexive charms - which is usually the source of the problem.
>>
>>47342029
>Does Benefit of Celestial Healing + Feint of Imparted Nature give free health levels to everyone?
Yep! Just slap it on anyone you even vaguely care about so they're far more resilient. Don't worry about betrayal, though, as you can cancel the bonus at any time...
>>
>>47346968
If your parry is enhanced by a martial arts form charm to be +2 for the scene, then that bonus only applies to parries created through your martial arts ability.

Like if you also had Melee 5, you would basically have two separate parry values, one derived from Melee and one derived from MA. So Fivefold Bulwark Stance would not negate onslaught penalties to your MA based parry.
>>
File: ManlyWolfMantle.jpg (244 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
ManlyWolfMantle.jpg
244 KB, 900x900
How do I build a Brawl-centric character right from the start to not be shit? I feel like Brawl is inferior to Melee. I just want to be the unstoppable punchy death machine.

Assume a standard char-gen allotment for everything character, Brawl Supernal Dawn.
>>
I see. Thanks for the clarification /tg/!
>>
>>47347332
Brawl is not inferior to Melee. If you want the minimum to be strong, then I think Falling Hammer Strike, Ferocious Jab, and Fists of Iron do most of what you're looking for
>>
>>47347218

Firstly, what about MA charms that enhance dodge? Do you then calculate your dodge based on your MA?

Secondly, that might be a good house rule - it might even be close to what the authors intended - but it's not anything that they actually managed to write in the rulebook.
>>
File: 1454957058532.jpg (95 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
1454957058532.jpg
95 KB, 700x500
>>47347332
http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/869895-gm-manual-progression-charm-build-combos

The very first post has what you'll need. Enjoy!
>>
Has anyone tried editing the pdf into 2 books?
A simple general core book with intro, setting, resolution mechanics, st stuff, quick characters etc. With a second book just for solar character creation?
The book is pretty intimidating to new comers, and I'd rather give them an easier time to get caught up on the essentials before plowing into creating their characters.
>>
>>47345894

Since it's just a first circle demon, maybe the onslaught negation should be toned down a notch? Maybe just something like 'The first attack a character makes each round against the tomescu doesn't apply onslaught penalties'?
>>
>>47331694
It is worst than 2e. I don't play fundamentally broken games.
>>
So, a few threads ago I posted a work-in-progress entry level War charm that's kind of a grab-bag of effects (like Salty Dog Method). After taking into account the feedback I got last time, I have:

Supreme Martial Instinct
Cost: - ; Mins: War 3, Essence 1; Type: Permanent
Keywords: None
Duration: Permanent
Prerequisites: None

As a peerless soldier and strategist, the Solar feels the flow of battle as easily as the breath in her lungs. Purchasing this charm provides the Solar with the following permanent enhancements to her capabilities:
-The Solar may roll Join Battle using her (Wits + War) if the encounter would be subject to a Strategem.
-For every enemy character or battle group who scores lower than the Lawgiver in her first Join Battle roll of a scene, any number of allied battle groups may gain one point of initiative.
-The Solar gains (Essence/2) initiative whenever an opponent rolls join battle after the first round of the fight.

The main thing I'm still working on is the third perk. For a while, I had it as 'The solar gains (Essence/2) initiative for striking a battle group rather than the usual 1' but battle groups are a black hole of initiative by design, so I figured it was better not to mess with that.

I like the effect that's in there now a lot more on thematic grounds, anyway, but I suspect the rate on it may be a bit too good. What do you think anons? (Essence/2) initiative for extra JB rolls, or just 1 since it's not a full charm's worth of power budget?
>>
>>47348026
Its not a houserule, that is how it actually works - you're right it should be more explicitly stated.

As for dodge, it is not defined as a 'combat ability' so you can freely combine it with MA

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/737402-please-help-me-understand-3e-martial-arts?p=750752#post750752

It would be nice if the beginning of the martial arts section actually defined what 'combat abilities' meant, instead of it being clarified in a forum post
>>
>>47348026
>>47348519

>Its not a houserule, that is how it actually works - you're right it should be more explicitly stated.

I think that's wrong. The 'useful calculations' sidebar on p.196 lists Martial Arts as an option for parry, but not for evasion. Per the link though, you should be able to freely use MA charms to boost your evasion, though. You just need to actually buy dots in dodge to have a good evasion in the first place.
>>
>>47348667
Oh, I meant having two parry derivatives was how it worked. I was not sure if MA gave you evasion, but your citation is correct, it gives parry only
>>
>>47348519
>It would be nice if the beginning of the martial arts section actually defined what 'combat abilities' meant, instead of it being clarified in a forum post

If it's not in the books, it's a houserule - even if its a forum post by the devs. Your average player can't (and shouldn't) be expected to go out and hunt down random forum posts to establish the rules effects of the game.

Rules as written, the way MAs interact with defences is almost entirely indeterminate. That's just not on with a book that's taken so long, and has had the opportunity (even if not realised) to have so many eyes on it.

> Per the link though, you should be able to freely use MA charms to boost your evasion, though.

So Snake Form's dodge bonus can be applied alongside Shadow Over Water to eliminate onslaught, but Crane Form's parry bonus can't be applied alongside the almost-identical parry version, Dipping Swallow Defence.

That sound completely idiosyncratic and unintuitive to anyone else?
>>
>>47348946
>So Snake Form's dodge

Urgh, Snake Form's is a penalty to the attack. That's what I get for relying on memory. Say, Black Claw Form instead.
>>
>>47348946
>If it's not in the books, it's a houserule - even if its a forum post by the devs.

It is in the books, Melee and Brawl are explicitly called out, as well as other 'combat abilities,' which were not named.

>That sound completely idiosyncratic and unintuitive to anyone else?

No, not really. Both Brawl and Melee have their own parry defense charms that only apply to their respective derived values. Its just that Melee is a better defensive tree than Brawl.

The appeal of dodge is its universal application, and the martial arts charms seem to be balanced accordingly. Its not like you could use dipping swallow defense to negate penalties to an unarmed parry anyway.

There are quite a few onslaught penalty negators to pick from in MA anyway, if you want them - Revolving Crescent Defense, Gathering Light Concentration, Harmony in Opposition Stance, etc.
>>
>>47348946
As a follow up, and about Crane Style in particular, it is capable of insane parry ratings and giving it casual access to Solar Melee penalty negators would be OP.

Let's say you have 6 base parry. You're allowed to use medium weapons in Crane style, so that is increased by 1.

Now you have 7 parry from medium weapon bonus. Crane form gives an additional +1, so that is 8 parry. Crane style encourages you to take Full Defense actions - it costs nothing and you make unlimited counterattacks!

So, 10 parry at no cost.

Fluttering Cry of Warning is 3m to defend other reflexively, and you get an additional +2 parry and you counterattack.

3m for 12 parry every turn is insane, I'm glad you can't use Fivefold Bulwark Stance on that.
>>
>>47345894
>Many-Limbed Deterrence: The tomescu's excess of weapon-tipped limbs makes it extraordinarily difficult for enemies to find an opening. It does not take onslaught penalties to its Parry Defense from any attack, although magically-inflicted onslaught penalties still apply against it. Experts at fighting multiple opponents, tomescu ignore the onslaught penalty they would otherwise receive from being affected by a pincer attack.
Pincer attacks are not a mechanical thing. Also,I'd expect it a merit to grant access to a lot of different tags, since he has so many weapons.
>>
http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/892708-trying-to-choose-charms-for-a-gun-reaper-style-of-dawn-caste?p=892733#post892733

>Burning Reaper Combination (Merit ••)—Purchased
>Prerequisites: Righteous Devil Form, White Reaper Form

>When the martial artist switches from White Reaper Form into Righteous Devil Form (see the Form keyword, p. 426), she keeps any halos that she has stocked and can spend them on White Reaper Charms (although she must switch back to White Reaper form to gain more haloes). Conversely, while in White Reaper Form, she may wield a bayoneted firewand as spears (but doesn't gain any other benefits of Righteous Devil Form).

Why is Vance the best person working on Exalted?
>>
>>47350439
...that's pretty cool
>>
File: au8Z3CZ.png (79 KB, 610x610) Image search: [Google]
au8Z3CZ.png
79 KB, 610x610
>>47350439
>>
>>47349039
> It is in the books, Melee and Brawl are explicitly called out, as well as other 'combat abilities,' which were not named.

No. Not only do the books not define what a "combat ability" is, they don't actually specify what they mean by "not compatible", and all the examples they give are of using two charms to enhance the same attack; they give no information on how scene-long bonuses interact with reflexive/supplemental charms across abilities.

>No, not really. Both Brawl and Melee have their own parry defense charms that only apply to their respective derived values.

This is not stated anywhere in the books. The book states that reflexive charms only impact static values derived from their particular ability; it says nothing about interactions with scene-longs, and none of the scene-longs that increase parry say "increase your Melee/Brawl/MA parry".

> There are quite a few onslaught penalty negators to pick from in MA anyway, if you want them - Revolving Crescent Defense, Gathering Light Concentration, Harmony in Opposition Stance, etc.
> As a follow up, and about Crane Style in particular, it is capable of insane parry ratings and giving it casual access to Solar Melee penalty negators would be OP.

I'm not really arguing about balance here - I'm just arguing about the rules, and how unclear they are.

And believe me, I know how stupid a Crane stylist can be - I'm STing for one at the moment, who managed to parry the 42-initiative Death Ray on behalf of the entire circle (unlike War Lion Stance, Fluttery Cry of Warning doesn't specify that using it to protect a second person drops the defence against the first). So for 9m a round, the Crane Stylist can defend 4 people, and counterattack of every attack, with a massive parry.

Oh yeah, I know how bad Crane Stylists can be.
>>
>>47350439
Now I'm wondering about using merits like that for other martial arts but most of them are even trickier. Steel Devil and Single Point seem utterly incompatible (aside from using Single Point and Double Attack Technique).

Even if you could gain charge while in Single Point form, you probably want to be in Whirling Guillotine Dance anyway but then your sword doesn't have its own initiative track and Single Point falls apart.
>>
>>47350645
>Not only do the books not define what a "combat ability"
They do. It's over in wherever they cover making withering/decisive attacks, iirc; combat abilities are Brawl, Melee, Martial Arts, Thrown, and Archery.
>>
File: grenadier-TV.jpg (94 KB, 590x330) Image search: [Google]
grenadier-TV.jpg
94 KB, 590x330
>>47350439

...that is really cool.

I'd love to see one for Righteous Devil/Dreaming Pearl Courtesan.

They both overlap on being the 'Social' martial arts.

Letting you count Firewands as improvised stylish weapons in DPC style (So you can stylishly gun kata but not shoot) and not sure what for RD? Maybe letting RD do more 'Charming' with it's form rather than just being scary/inspiring?
>>
>>47350439

Seems pretty cool, but am I the only one that feels that it's be better as an Evocation?
>>
>>47351158

Evocations have the issue that they are only for a specific weapon and not all martial arts use weapons.

They'd likely work best as just a Permanent Charm. You could even build a couple of charms off it for something that fits the overlapping zone of both of them thematically.
>>
>>47351158

Why?

I mean, it COULD be, but it seems more intuitive that it's, y'know, the martial artist looking at his two styles and going "I'mma combo these together."
>>
>>47351121
There's a bunch of 'social' martial arts: Dreaming Pearl, Black Claw, Silver Voiced Nightingale, Righteous Devil and Crane all qualify.

Not sure you can combo Righteous Devil and Dreaming Pearl though, Righteous Devil is massively out of theme for the unarmed, elegant socialite feel of the latter.
>>
>>47351195

Making it a Merit just strikes me as weird, and IIRC MA charms can't be homebrewed, so that just leaves Evocations. I'm imagining in my head a story of a First Age Exalt desperately trying to bring to Martial Arts styles together only to find a weapon that embodies the advantages of both.
>>
>>47351158
>>47351187
Not everything should be some kind of Charm. Merits are there for a reason and I think Vance nailed it with this one.
>>
>>47351254
>MA charms can't be homebrewed
Oh my god, are the game police going to come arrest me for homebrewing MA charms?
>>
>>47351241

Yeah, after I posted it I remembered 'Right, lots of social martial arts'.

I think there would be room for the pair to overlap. Both are defined heavily by being impressive to look at, drawing attention to yourself.

...that and I might have recently rewatched Grenadier. Which is all about a girl who is some terrifying DPC/Crane/RD martial artist. Using gunplay and graceful style to defuse violence.

>>47351260

I dunno, it's a fuzzy area between Permanent Charms and Merits. I'd lean Permanent Charm as it's got other charms as prereqs. But then, I dislike needing a merit just to learn martial arts in the first place.
>>
>>47351254
>MA charms can't be homebrewed
I'm not sure, but I think it's more like that written MA styles are closed and completed, and as such can't be expanded upon. You CAN find "forgotten techniques" and such if you want. Melding two styles together also would be a fair game for me, altough I think the merit is more elegant.
>>
Is it just me, or is Observer-Deceiving Attack really hard to get off, with no real way of materially improving it, apart from being higher Essence?
>>
>>47351406
Against other Exalted, it's pretty hard. With a full excellency at Essence 2 and a maxed out pool on a decisive attack the difficulty is about 4 but the fact that ones subtract from successes to spot it makes it effectively about 5.

Mortals with middling pools in Wits+Awareness usually won't pass that, but a Dragon-blooded using an Excellency almost certainly will.
>>
Hypothetically speaking, what kind of charms would a Solar need or could a Solar use to survive in the vacuum of space?
>>
>>47351527
I'm not sure it can be done. A Solar could survive longer than most, but there are no charms that let them go without breathing.
>>
>>47351527

That one Integrity Charm that removes all your bodily needs and makes you immune to the environment for as long as you're meditating.

If he has to actually DO shit, then he's gonna need a Charm to hold his breath better (Salty Dog Method, for example), one to resist the lethal damage from decompression (one of the Survival Charms, I think?), disease resistance for radiation poisoning (it's not a pathogen, but in Creation radiation sickness is treated as a disease).
>>
>>47351573
>one to resist the lethal damage from decompression (one of the Survival Charms, I think?)
You're thinking of Element Resisting Prana, but this is basically the opposite of element-based environmental hazards.
>>
>>47351573
The problem is the environmental damage. Hardship-Surviving Mendicant Spirit doesn't cover actual damage, and most of the Resistance charms only cover attacks.
>>
>>47351527
Survival and/or Resistance.
>>
>>47351795
Tremendously unhelpful.
>>
File: brawl essentials.png (1 MB, 2128x1008) Image search: [Google]
brawl essentials.png
1 MB, 2128x1008
>>47347332
Buy up to Hammer on Iron and its upgrade charm.
>>
>>47350439
>Why is Vance the best person working on Exalted?

Because he's the only person in the dev team without his head up his own ass.

Given how all the sections they say Vance more or less did alone are all the best sections of the book, I'm pretty sure if Ex3 was written by Vance alone it'd be a better game. Dude's good.
>>
>>47352207
Not for everyone. Some people will want to go for Heaven Thunder Hammer instead.
>>
>>47352790
>>47352207

Why not both? Is there any reason to not just blow all starting Charms on Brawl?
>>
>>47353315
>Why not both?
Because they don't combo together very well. You can do it, but you're not getting twice the effectiveness.
>Is there any reason to not just blow all starting Charms on Brawl?
Because you want to be good at more than just punching?
>>
>>47353330
>Because you want to be good at more than just punching?

See

>>47347332
>I just want to be the unstoppable punchy death machine.

I mean, if that entails, say, picking up some Res or Dodge sure, but if so, what and how much of it?
>>
File: 1445275369937.gif (467 KB, 357x469) Image search: [Google]
1445275369937.gif
467 KB, 357x469
Should I make a Feudal Japanese Raksha Court as an antagonist in a West-based game, or is the Asian army theme kind of taken by the Realm and Lookshy?
>>
>>47351795
I am as helpful as I can be within the limits of the hypothetical question. There's no such thing as the vacuum of space in Creation as given, so at the point you can ask the question you're already abandoning the default setting and having to homebrew stats for vacuum and charms to counter it. These, I say, belong in Survival and/or Resistance.
>>
bah, answered wrong, that should have been
>>47351848
>>
>>47348131

I should work on that more, but things keep on fucking coming up.
>>
I need help writing evocations for some artifact armor and a daiklave my character has. I can handle fluff, but I'm woefully inept at writing mechanics. Any tips or good online resources to consult?
>>
>>47354750
http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/828820-how-to-write-artifacts-and-evocations
>>
>>47348447

I actually did go back and edit this, since as-written it actually fucked with the activation of several Solar Melee charms it wasn't supposed to. Although, incidentally, ignoring onslaught penalties has been one of the defining features of tomescu in both 1e and 2e.

The notable changes were:

>Many-Limbed Deterrence: The tomescu's excess of weapon-tipped limbs makes it extraordinarily difficult for enemies to find an opening. It ignores onslaught penalties, penalties from being grappled, and penalties incurred from being hit by temporary physically crippling techniques other than those that affect the senses. Disarm gambits have no effect on a tomescu, as its weapons are a part of its body. The tomescu loses the onslaught penalty ignoring benefit of this merit during Initiative crash.

and

>[B]Preemptive Retaliation[/B] (1m or 3m; Reflexive; Instant; Counterattack, Decisive-only; Essence 1): The tomescu already knows its opponent's vector of attack and responds accordingly. This Charm must be invoked when an attack is declared, but before the attack roll is made. The tomescu takes its full onslaught penalty, ignoring the benefit of Many-Limbed Deterrence against the attack. Successful defense strips a point of Initiative from the tomescu's attacker and, for an additional 2m, allows the tomescu to respond with a decisive counterattack. It may use this counterattack to make a disarm gambit.

>>47349254
>Pincer attacks are not a mechanical thing

They're a stratagem a Battle Group can undertake, although I guess those are less cemented than gambits are. It was totally redundant text, in any case, so I ended up removing it.

>Also,I'd expect it a merit to grant access to a lot of different tags, since he has so many weapons.

This is an excellent idea.
>>
File: NotClever.png (14 KB, 260x200) Image search: [Google]
NotClever.png
14 KB, 260x200
>>47353362

Anon here would like similar advice to this guy.
>>
>>47350645
>(unlike War Lion Stance, Fluttery Cry of Warning doesn't specify that using it to protect a second person drops the defence against the first).

Personally if I was STing, I would say that since Deathray applies one attack against all targets in a single instant, you could only use fluttering cry once. One reflexive activation per instant.
>>
File: Skeltal.jpg (79 KB, 367x499) Image search: [Google]
Skeltal.jpg
79 KB, 367x499
>MFW waiting for a Liminal source book to become available.
>>
>>47355526
At least they've got a dual page in the core book. I'm curious about the Getimian, I could as well wait for 4e.
>>
Is there any table for dicepool to cumulative probability of success?
>>
>>47350645
>and none of the scene-longs that increase parry say "increase your Melee/Brawl/MA parry"

All scene length charms are either Simple or Reflexive and there are clear rules for how they interact with static values:

Simple: Simple Charms generally create actions using their governing Ability, unless otherwise indicated.

Reflexive: Reflexive Charms which enhance static values may generally only enhance static values deriving from their governing Ability, unless otherwise indicated.

Your mistake was thinking that the duration had special significance to how they worked, when it does not
>>
>>47331694
Anima sucks more than 2nd edition.
>>
>>47333855
your things break anathema when just dropped into it.
>>
>>47356915
never mind. fixed it
>>
>>47337113
>Devil Tigers were, by default, homebrew. Which is why they are not going to be a thing this time around.
Uh, why not? Exigents are just as homebrew as Devil Tigers and they seem to be pushing those.
>>
>>47355152

They're a stratagem a Battle Group can undertake...

This is kind of a tangent to this point, but the Strategic Warfare rules call for opposed Int + War rolls from each opposing commander, and each commander selects a strategem they're trying to implement before rolls happen.

So this means that you can't invoke Strategic Warfare on someone without them being aware of it and willingly participating? I mean, the Ambush strategem is a thing, so clearly there's some measure of surprise there, but if my Solar Sun Tzu is trying to outmaneuver the Wyld Hunt what options do I have to force them to engage with the system given that they're almost certainly better off avoiding it? Rely on the ST not being a dick?
>>
File: 0.png (93 KB, 634x332) Image search: [Google]
0.png
93 KB, 634x332
>>47350645
>Not only do the books not define what a "combat ability" is
>>
>>47357712
This is something they should reiterate in the beginning of the martial arts section
>>
>>47344504
Look at the hollows and arancar from bleach they are basicly how i play fair folk in my game

Always hungry and embodying a aspect to the point of insanity
>>
>>47353558
>implyingnlookshy isnt just sparta with katanas

>implying the realm isnt rome with kung fu
>>
Am I tripping or do first circle demons not fuck off to Malfeas when their time is up? The spell doesn't seem to say so.
>>
>>47344504
The thing is, that most shaped Fair Folk aren't and shouldn't be a challenge for a Solar circle alone. But they rarely are alone, since most stories (which they form themselves around to stay shaped) consist of characters who are completely alone.

But a Fair Folk who has taken upon himself the story of a conquering King on the front of a unstoppable knight army? Thats a completely different thing.

Unshaped raksha? Well, those can pretty much be anything. We once encountered one who was a whole small kingdom/city inside a mountain within himself. Shit was whack, yo.
>>
One of my players started crafting, and it has become immensely fun (Ex3, yes, I wouldn't have believed it myself). But this has started putting us on some kind of minmaxing campaign to find the best crafting.

How do you guys see following build:
Supernal Larceny:
*) Buy Fate-Shifting Solar Arete (6 Charms in total)
*) Craft Essence 1 Charms: CNNT + Flawless Handiwork Method (x2)

Get Bracers of Universal Crafting for the lulz and because it's fun both in crafting and for picking locks.

You have reroll 6s, reroll 10s, and you make 2 additional numbers (let's say 4 and 5) into 10s. Can only be done once per day, but for Superior Projects this is probably fine.
On average every dice therefore creates 7/6 successes. With Bracers a dicepool of 24 generates 28 successes. To craft 4 dot artifacts (weapons, yeaaah) you will only need a little more than 3 rolls.

All while investing only 9 Charms, most of which are also useful during non-craft play.

Is this comparable to a Supernal Crafter (if leaving out Thousand Forge Hands for speed) with 9 Charms top?
>>
>>47359225
Fate Shifting Solar Arete does not apply to extended rolls (crafting)
>>
>>47359239
I for one am SO happy they made that change. The best charm for working rolls coming from anything but occult chapped my ass so bad.
>>
>>47359285
Agreed.
>>
What are the best Exalted system and setting conversions out there?
>>
>>47359407

3e converts the setting of 1&2e to some sort of clusterfuck of homebrew shit, but it also fixes the shitty rules of 2e.
>>
>>47359428
They added a shitload of Charms though which is almost as bad. I do have do admit that out of the entirety of Exalted, Charms are what I hate most so I'm bit biased.
>>
>>47359646
I love charms and I can't get enough of them. This is the edition for me
>>
>>47359225
>Get Bracers of Universal Crafting for the lulz and because it's fun both in crafting and for picking locks.
While nice, these do count against your charm cap
>>
>>47359285
>I for one am SO happy they made that change. The best charm for working rolls coming from anything but occult chapped my ass so bad.
Now if only there were occult charms that enhanced workings.
>>
>>47359772
There's a thread on the onyx path with sorcery enhancing charms and working enhancing charms. Though they can get pretty ridiculous. I definitely agree that the lack of working enhancing charms are a pain.
>>
>>47359862
I like that it forces you to go out and acquire Means to do powerful workings. And that the best way to enhance a working is to be initiated into a higher circle of Sorcery.

I suspect the lack of charms that enhance workings is completely intentional
>>
>>47359907
I don't doubt that it's intentional, and you're right, the forcing to get more means is a good thing. At the same time, I feel there should be SOMETHING to enhance them. Solars are the best at sorcery, so them having something to do higher finesse workings either more easily like lowering difficulties on finesse would be something I could appreciate. Some of the charms do exactly that. Beyond their advantage with having the best excellencies and the ability to not be penalized for doing solar level workings as their pinnacle of power they're on the same level as everyone else.
>>
>>47360005
Well, I kinda agree with you. I would be annoyed if the other Exalts get charms that enhance Workings while solars get nothing.

On the plus side, a Solar Circle sorcerer can do high ambition Terrestrial and Celestial workings without spending much xp
>>
>>47360005
>>47360188

I'm actually completely on board with Solars having access to the most POWERFUL sorcery, while other exalts have better charms for using the sorcery they do get.
>>
>>47359740
Where does it say that?
>>
>>47360281
There is no evidence that other Exalts have charms that enhance Workings.

The example Lunar sorcerer in the leak had a charm that let him cast sorcery in combat more easily, however.
>>
>>47360188
Very true. Actually one of the charms on the OPP forum makes terrestrial workings cost no xp or something. That was a pretty big thing that I both liked and worried how players would abuse it. hehe.
>>
>>47346716
>>47346766
>>47346827
>>47346832
>>47346837
>>47347191
>>47347218

>In short—Martial Arts Charms are not compatible with Brawl, or any other combat Ability, unless they explicitly state otherwise
>Martial Arts Charms are not compatible with Brawl, or any other combat Ability
>combat ability

/tg/, does Performance count as a "combat ability"?
Battle-Dancer Method adds half your Performance, rounded down, to your Parry or Evasion, and it's under the "Performance" charm set, not any of the combat abilities that are listed under "Resolving attack".

If my Martial Art kata is graceful and like a dance, i.e. Crane or Dreaming Pearl, that's dancing under the book's vague definitions.
>>
>>47360388

Go for it.

Just like you can combo Ebon Shadow and Stealth, or Black Claw and Socialize.

The point of MAs is to give Dawns a little non-combat utility in their combat, or to give non-Dawns a little combat utility from their non-combat skills.
>>
>>47360388
>tg/, does Performance count as a "combat ability"?
No, but that doesn't mean Battle-Dancer Method doesn't work. You just have to stunt with it.
>>
>>47360291
All regular artifacts give Charm Dice, unless explicitly stated otherwise.
>>
>>47360459
That didn't answer my question. Where does it say that?
>>
>>47360489
>Additional Artifacts
Not all artifacts are designed for combat. Exalts and gods create artifacts for a wide variety of purposes. Here are only a few examples. Unless otherwise specified, any bonuses granted by the following artifacts count as dice added by a Charm. These artifacts range in power from minor two dot artifacts to unique and incredibly powerful five dot wonders.
>>
>>47360504
Thanks.
>>
Alrighty /tg/, let's play with 3e.
You're favorite Solar charms for buffing your allies in combat and debuffing enemies?
>>
>>47361240
Off the top of my head, the solar war song for buffing, snake style gambits for debuffing.
>>
>>47361240
Iron Whirlwind Attack. Death is the ultimate debuff.
>>
File: homer cooking.gif (500 KB, 499x378) Image search: [Google]
homer cooking.gif
500 KB, 499x378
>>47361240

i am a nigger. i steal cars and watermelon.
>>
>>47361240
Favor-Conferring Prana/Empowering Shout are great, and a good reason to Supernal Presence.
>>
>>47357626
>So this means that you can't invoke Strategic Warfare on someone without them being aware of it and willingly participating?

No, the roll can be anything from carefully planning your strategy for the events to come or passively reacting to "oh shit, we are being ambushed!". The difference between the opponent not knowing and knowing is going to be in the penalties given to them. If the opponent isn't even aware that there is an opposing army he should be racking penalties from anything between -3 and -5 to his roll. The roll is an abstraction, like quite many things and even though you are rolling it, it doesn't mean that the opposing side is actively making strategies at that very moment, which could give even more penalties to their roll.

If the surprise is utter and complete, I would have the Solar Sun Tzu roll unopposed for the stratagem in question.
>>
>>47355492
Yeah, we say that after an attack has been declared, it's too late to use a reflexive to defend the target. So he just defends the whole party at the start of each round. It drains his motes, but not at a terribly fast rate, and it lets the rest of the circle go nuts with offensive mote expenditure.
>>
>>47361516
Oh. That is clever
>>
>>47360504

This is one of the reason I hate their usage of the term "charm dice". It makes no intuitive sense that non-charm mechanics give charm dice, and that sentence is really easy to overlook when you look up an artifact's function (because it's at the start of the section, rather than referenced in the artifact text). We missed that bit with the Belt of Shadow Walking for a long time in our game, too.

There should have just been "dice", "dice cap", and "cap-breaking dice".
>>
>>47361655
Well, then you have things like the Aim bonus, accuracy bonus, specialties, stunts, etc that provide "dice" but they're all non-charm dice. Its probably better to distinguish between dice and 'dice provided by magic (charm)"
>>
>>47361516
>It drains his motes, but not at a terribly fast rate
Shouldn't it though? It's a fucking Death Ray, Solar Circle sorcery
>>
>>47361516

I did it, proof that duration is irrelevant to the function of a charm

>>47355837
>>
>>47361240

War Lion Stance, Guard-Breaking Technique, Essence-Lending Method, Will-Bolstering Technique, Essence Font Technique

Between them, I can buff an ally's Defence, Initiative, Motes and Willpower, as needed. Chuck in some stuff for generating the appropriate resource (Spirit-Tempering, Energy-Restoring Prana, Spirit-Drawing Occulus, Unbowed Willow Meditation, Flow Like Blood, War Anthem of the Solar Exalted, etc), and you're golden.
>>
What is the best charm in Exalted and why is it Ghost-Eating Technique?
>>
>>47361736
It definitely should - my point was that being able to defend the entire Circle from it (and with nothing more than a zero-prereq MA charm at that) was crazy powerful. If anything, it should drain them faster.

Also, that's his combat strategy in general, not just for dealing with Death Ray.
>>
>>47361811
I'm not sure you can parry Death Ray without an artifact weapon
>>
how big a deal is cult 4?
>>
>>47356990

what? how? formatting in mine is all screwed up
>>
>>47361843

Pretty damn big.

An entire nation worshiping you is a huge deal; it puts your name in the common parlance on the level with Ahlat or the city-father of Nexus.
>>
>>47361893
Correction: lower than Ahlat, but not by a whole lot. Ahlat's cult in Harborhead, as opposed to his periphery worship.
>>
>>47361838
>Only the strongest magical substances are immune to the melting and carving power of this attack. ... Mundane weapons cannot parry the attack and are immediately destroyed upon such an attempt
I suppose he's using artifact weapons.
>>
File: Orichalcum cube.jpg (110 KB, 700x623) Image search: [Google]
Orichalcum cube.jpg
110 KB, 700x623
So Soulsteel can be created by forging ghosts into a coherent form, and gold can be turned into Orichalcum. Can the other MM be created? Might be a moot point for Jade which is used as a currency, but what about Moonsilver and Starmetal?
>>
>>47362337

Moonsilver can be created from silver using the Wyld and the moon, I think, but Starmetal's only source is the falling of stars or certain Sidereal Charms.
>>
File: Catgirl.jpg (101 KB, 636x900) Image search: [Google]
Catgirl.jpg
101 KB, 636x900
>>47362337
>Moonsilver

Made using silver in the Wyld during certain lunar cycles IIRC.

>Starmetal

Framing a God and having their ass executed and mining the resulting meteorite.
>>
File: BlueHairSmilingMan.jpg (2 MB, 1604x1586) Image search: [Google]
BlueHairSmilingMan.jpg
2 MB, 1604x1586
>>47362337

Oh, and jade can be made straight from ambrosia IIRC.
>>
>>47362434
>Framing a God and having their ass executed and mining the resulting meteorite.

I don't think this is the origin of starmetal anymore.
>>
how much is required to count as worship(as opposed to just fame for example)? does prayer have to be daily and formal?
>>
>>47361893
yeah, i thought so thanks. it was just weird that cult 4's blurb included " The Wyld Hunt certainly knows of you and will soon attempt to destroy you." like that was the point you'd hit their radar when i looked it up
>>
>>47362883

Probably not daily, but reasonably consistent and at least somewhat formalized or devoted, though the less you have of either the weaker your cult is, despite the number of followers.

The same group of people who only pray to you on a particular holiday will only count for a fraction as much as people who pray to you daily, unless that holiday is a HUGE event.
>>
>>47363021
Yeah, this.
>>
>>47362929

The Wlyd Hunt isn't exactly anywhere near all seeing or all knowing, the world is huge, and atop that they have more duties than just harassing wayward Exalt's.

Thats probably why Cult 4 says that, because by that time you're well established, or revered for some reason.
>>
/tg/ what's the Withering or Decisive dice pool of the Imperial Cities IRS?
If my Dodge DV is high enough, could I evade taxes?
>>
>>47362506
It's King Dedede!
>>
>>47361516
>Yeah, we say that after an attack has been declared, it's too late to use a reflexive to defend the target. So he just defends the whole party at the start of each round. It drains his motes, but not at a terribly fast rate, and it lets the rest of the circle go nuts with offensive mote expenditure.
He could save 3m /turn if he grabs War Lion Stance
>>
File: Tharja.png (824 KB, 1240x1754) Image search: [Google]
Tharja.png
824 KB, 1240x1754
>>47363548

Wondering how long it'd be before someone picked up on that.
>>
>>47360388
>If my Martial Art kata is graceful and like a dance, i.e. Crane or Dreaming Pearl, that's dancing under the book's vague definitions.
According to Morke, you'll need either a performance social influence action or the use of a dance charm.
>>
File: 1450276335474.jpg (162 KB, 525x467) Image search: [Google]
1450276335474.jpg
162 KB, 525x467
So if the Exalted were able to take on the Primordials and win, then they were obviously able to overcome them in a fight.

How huge a dice pool do you think a Primordial would have?

Just for curiosities sake, of course!
>>
>>47363991

1e: Not high enough to consistently overcome stacked persistents
2e: Didn't matter, lol perfects forever
3e: Can't be too high, knowing this system really is cracking down on retarded pools and has severely nerfed defenses compared to previous editions.
>>
>>47363991
>So if the Exalted were able to take on the Primordials and win, then they were obviously able to overcome them in a fight.
Only in the sense that by taking on America and winning, you can beat "America" in a fight.

Yes, you overcome the entity in a military sense, but it's not like each of America's carriers is worth 2 dice on Uncle Sam's "get fucked" roll, or each military base is 1 health level.

>How huge a dice pool do you think a Primordial would have?
Uncountable.

The "deflect uncountable amounts of damage" function of all the Perfect Defenses is pretty heavily implied to be what it takes to stare down the fullness of a Primordial's power, but also that that power is diffuse. "Malfeas" as a whole doesn't focus on things as small as individuals; he bathes an entire region in hellfire.
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 306x306
>Mfw thinking of names for characters
Shit's hard enough with other systems, it's even worse in Exalted. At least with Threshold names you can go [Color] [Animal], but Realm names are a real pain in the dick.

Not sure if this is too small for the general, but does anyone have good examples of Realm names they can think of off the top of their head? Need names for two people, a male fire-aspect from the Wyld Hunt, and an Earth-Aspect female sorceress. They're from House Cynis and Mnemon respectively.
>>
>>47364641
Ember Summer Blaze
>>
just use ed's exalted toolkit to generate them
>>
>>47364641

Cynis Santorum and Mnemon Laevu
>>
>>47364641
When in doubt just yank a vaguely chinese-esque name and add it after the house name of choice.
>>
>>47361860
How is it screwed up? You should be able to drop the .xml files and the .properties file right into the

Anathema/repository/custom folder. You may need to create a custom folder.
>>
>>47364641
This name generator has been pretty solid for me so far:

http://orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/?gen=http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=AYsfB34A
>>
can someone explain what poison with initiative damage does outside of combat?

My ST improvisation was to roll simple Join Battle for a basic pool at the start of the poison's duration. Is there a better way to handle this?
>>
>>47365882
Bashing damage. If it fills their health track they fall asleep
>>
>>47365882
Difficult call, since initiative is an abstraction and "if you take this poison you might die" is not.

What about we de-abstract it, and say that it deals its physical crash damage if you exert yourself while its in your system. That explanation works for a poison that may or may not hurt someone in combat, but which always provides an advantage to the poisoner.

You could also flip the explanation for some types of poison, although probably not natural ones. X poison will kill you, UNLESS you exert yourself. You have to maintain your momentum in combat or you die. Not a great advantage for a natural poison, but still a potential advantage in a long combat. Plus it turns the scene into something out of Crank.

Regardless, initiative poisons only stay in the target's system for a very short time, and if they simply dealt their damage they'd kill most characters with very little drama, so any system that limits their threat to something comparable to what happens in combat is a good idea. Your STs idea works.
>>
>>47365999

The initiative-poison rules lead to some really crappy mechanical outcomes. For instance, if someone manages to prick you with a curare-tipped needle, the best solution is for you to go find some random and beat the crap out of him. The time spent in combat transform health-track damage to initiative damage, which vanishes immediately after the fight.

I'd say that initiative poisons cease acting immediately after combat ends. That has its own negative side-effects - like its impossible to poison someone out of combat with snake venom - but, at least it's not as ridiculous as making beating up your butler a cure for poison.
>>
>>47365999
>Regardless, initiative poisons only stay in the target's system for a very short time, and if they simply dealt their damage they'd kill most characters with very little drama,

I don't think this is a bad thing. It's certainly how poisons work in real life. The whole point is that it kills people. If you ditch poison's lethality, there's not much point to it.
>>
>>47366570
It's true, but at the same time Exalted's system discourages that sort of easy killing. Most RPGs do. It's realistic that your character might get ganked by a guy with a knife that they weren't paying attention to, but it isn't fun, or at least it isn't Exalted's idea of fun. Similarly, "you ate the wrong thing and died" is not what Exalted is going for.

Being Exalted, you can cheat your way out of the dilemma by saying that mortals get the grittiest interpretation of the rules and Exalts get the most forgiving and still have that be in character knowledge; Arrow Frog Venom will kill a mortal, but an Exalt will shrug it off unless they're in combat, blood pumping. Same deal with bleeding to death or dying from an infected wound; outright stated to be impossible for Exalts.

That interpretation actually has a little backing from the book, if you're prepared to draw conclusions from the sidebar on page 351.

SCENE OF DESTRUCTION
Sometimes it becomes dramatically appropriate to use a Charm
with an Initiative cost outside of battle. When this happens, ignore
the Initiative cost.

Character is not in combat, Arrow Frog Venom does nothing. Arsenic is still lethal, but it also doesn't deal 15 dice of lethal damage in less time than it takes to sprint to the nearest apothecary.
>>
>>47366753

Except it sort of does - I mean, regardless of initiative poisons, Hemlock will still kill you dead. It's also very possible to be ganked by a guy with a knife - decisive ambush attacks with a decent JB will kill you dead.

Like I said above, I'd prefer initiative damage just stopped after combat. Something like "outside of combat, poisons with a duration listed in rounds are treated as hourly" would be good - but it just leads to the "beat-your-butler" cure I mentioned earlier.
>>
>Verdant Emptiness Endowment
>It is possible to target oneself with the Charm, in which case the Infernal obviously owes himself nothing.
>Bestowel of Accursed Fortune+Gifts of Greater Glory
>Miracle Gift Mastery
>With Essence 4+, the cost to use Verdant Emptiness Endowment on a target may be lowered to a single mote, provided the target already accepted a blessing from the Infernal’s use of the Charm earlier in the scene. However, as soon as the target pays Willpower to reject a gift, the cost resets to normal.

Am I'm misinterpreting something or missing the fine print or...is does Cecelyne give you a license to skip training time at no meaningful mote cost for any Charm you have the prerequisites for, even if you only learned it through the Fiend anima power?

Also,

>Severe Punishment (Hundredfold Facets of Enlightenment
>With the merest echo of the Three Spheres Cataclysm, the Infernal may use this Charm to assault the underlying structure of a target’s existence, materializing a crystalline sphere that immediately shatters, revealing to them unrepeatable secrets that unmake their very Essence. An attack enhanced by this Charm is unblockable and undodgeable and inflicts aggravated damage as a Shaping effect. If a target defends against the Shap- ing aspect of this Charm, the damage is no longer aggravated, but it remains unblockable and undodgeable. This Charm can not enhance attacks other than those made with Mind-Hand Manipulation.

...exactly how ridiculous is this with a fully upgraded/spec'd Mind Hand Manipulation, and Heuristic Logos Shintai which makes Principle Invoking Onslaught no longer count as charm activation? I seem to recall MHM has absurdly high dicepools but was mainly hindered from being combat viable because of low raw damage.
>>
>>47359285
>The best charm for working rolls coming from anything but occult chapped my ass so bad.
What about Heaven Turning Calculations?
>>
In 3e what's the difference between artefact weapons made of different magical materials? They don't seem to provide stat differences like 2e, and solars can attune to any of them without worrying.
>>
>>47367392

No straight up stat differences, just narrative ones. Red Jade artefacts might manipulate fire and Soulsteel would interact with the dead because that's what they're tied to in the setting.
>>
>>47367501

Which is dumb. As it stands, there's absolutely no reason for Solars to go for orichalcum weapons, and very good reasons for them not too.

They should have just made Evocation costs equivalent to favoured charms, if drawn from an item at least partially composed of the Exalt's favoured material.
>>
>>47367544
Orichalcum weapons have the broadest, most useful themes for evocations. It's also the metal that fits Solar themes the best.
>>
>>47367544
Why would that make anything better? Solars can use any type of artifact. They'll use Orichalcum if it suits them and not if not. What's wrong with that?

You make it sound like there's some sort of penalty for using Orichalcum.
>>
>>47367704

orichalcum is known widely as "fucking anathema metal god damn kill it dead" in realm learning. having a (reaper?) daiklaive that's as big as your body made of the shit that you don't use Elsewhere charms with is a screaming "please kill me" to anyone associated with the Realm you'd meet.
>>
>>47367704

There is. Being immediately identifiable as a Solar, as they're the only guys who can attune it.
>>
>>47367696

Thematics, meh. Pick any set of orichalcum evocations you like, and I'll fluff them for whatever magic material you like.

I agree Orichalcum's thematics suit Solars; the mechanics should support the thematics.
>>
>>47367738

oh no. not the realm.
>>
>>47367780
>Pick any set of orichalcum evocations you like, and I'll fluff them for whatever magic material you like.
Your house rules aren't really relevant to this discussion dude.
>>
>>47367807

>evocations
>houserules

lel
>>
>>47367791
And now I have the mental image of five dragonblooded kids with attitude kicking at their Solar teacher's ankles.

It's adorable.
>>
>>47367807

maybe if you actually read the book you might find some big surprises about how evocations work
>>
>>47367738
That's true of every metal that isn't Jade. Lunars are common anathema. Abyssals are new anathema. Sidereals are "I'm not really sure what you are, and your caste mark isn't one of the unholy symbols I've been taught, but I'm going to guess you're bad news" anathema.

So, sure, if you deck yourself out in Jade you can be the Didn't Exalt As A Dragonblood Solar. It's a cliche for a reason. I've made a few. Every other type of artifact is going to single you out as anathema if you're in Immaculate territory. Why is that a strike against Orichalcum specifically?

>>47367744
Once you get past the previous point, is there a reason to pretend you're not a Solar? Maybe for some characters, but not as a general case.

If you want to talk setting disadvantages for other metals, Moonsilver tends to get tracked down and claimed by Lunars as their exclusive material. I like the idea of occasionally duelling Full Moons to prove your right to wield Horde-Slayer, the Moonsilver direlance once used by the Lunar who invented White Reaper Style, but it's still potentially inconvenient.
>>
Regarding artefact weapons, are smashfist usable as unarmed attacks with MA ?
>>
>>47367940

No. It's explicitly a weapon.
>>
>>47367980
That makes sense. I had a doubt because of the Worn tag making them natural weapons, but it's more logical that way, as you usually don't only attacks with your fists in MA.
>>
>>47367780
Orichalcum isn't better than every other magical material combined, but it is better than every other magical material.
>>
anybody have a cheatsheet for what people look like in each region?
>>
>>47366896
....anyone?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.