[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First time wizard here. What are some fun early level spells.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
First time wizard here. What are some fun early level spells. Planning on going into Iot7V for reaction abilities.

Any tips? I've played a very healthy amount of D&D but I've never touched Wizard due to my disdain for pure spellcasters.
>>
>>47330998
>Any tips?
Play a better game.
>>
>>47330998
Edition
>>
>>47330998
Which version of DnD? Only really familiar with Pathfinder, but it's a 3.5 derivative so I figure some spells should be similar.

Featherfall: Great way to survive a chase. Jumping from a high place when your opponents can't has saved my life more than once. It's an immediate action to activate, so you don't have to worry about prepping it beforehand. Depending on how your GM rules it, you may be able to put it on a scroll or item and still be able to immediate-activate it, saving you from needing to waste a spell slot on it.

Vanish: Short-term cloaking abilities are always nice. Even if you're not a rogue and not getting a sneak-attack bonus, it's a good way to reposition, eavesdrop, or avoid a conflict all-together.

Summon Mount: Personally I prefer having this on an enchanted object of some kind. Saves the party the hassle of having to babysit horses everywhere they go. You can summon them without an enchanted item, but if you;re providing for the whole party it's gonna eat up alot of your spell slots early on.

Alarm: Good counter-stealth measure if you're expecting to be ambushed. Also a good way to stay aware if anyone is following you.

None of these are mechnically the "best" spells you can take, but if you have a GM who encourages out-of-the-box thinking, these are some of the most useful ones IMO.
>>
>>47331113
>>47331164
He's referring to a 3.5 prestige class (Initiate of the 7 Veils) I think.

Color spray and grease have helped a lot in really early levels in the past. An actual character level would help, but I don't have much wizard experience either way
>>
>>47331113
>Planning on going into Iot7V for reaction abilities.
>Iot7V
3.5, obviously.
>>
>>47331207
>>47331208
Ah, like I said, not really familiar with DnD beyond knowing that Pathfinder is a derivative. Honestly not even THAT familiar with Pathfinder either, I've never actually played a game in which me or anyone else has used prestige classes.
>>
Color Spray

CoLoR SPRay

cOlOr sprAY

CoLoR SpRaY

cOlOr sPrAy

I still remember when my wizard, at level 1, managed to position himself to catch the entire 6-bandit ambush in the exactly 6 tiles Color Spray covers. The only reason we brought a Fighter was for subsequent throatcutting.

Sleep is probably technically better for most purposes low-level purposes (It is easier to catch 4 goblins in a single sleep area than 3 goblins in a single color spray area, and ranged as well) but Color Spray stays relevant for more levels - at level 4, facing two 4-HD ogres, color spray is likely to take out both of them while sleep can take out AT MOST 1.
>>
>>47331103
Yes, how about he play [bad game that you like]?
>>
>>47330998
Third level, web and summon swarm. Most physical opponents are not equipped to fight a swarm of tiny spiders. Less so when they can't run.
>>
>>47331207
>>47331592
I love fucking about with Grease on Bard.

I'll look back into Color Spray. This far I've picked Shield, Magic Missile, and Enlarge Person because you can never go wrong with Enlarge Person.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.