[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/cofd/&/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 12
File: EuKnkHZ.jpg (396 KB, 1145x720) Image search: [Google]
EuKnkHZ.jpg
396 KB, 1145x720
>Previous Thread: >>47301716

>Pastebin
http://pastebin.com/PPptBB5u

>Latest News
http://theonyxpath.com/gencon-insider-poop-monday-meeting-notes/

The Pack is here!
>richfags
http://drivethrurpg.com/product/181760?affiliate_id=13&src=TheOnyxPath
>poorfags
http://www.mediafire.com/download/n7htcqyqk0y0acy/%5BWtF%5DThe_Pack.PDF

>Question
Favorite bit of lore?
>>
My favorite bit of lore is Vincent Moon, a two bit pulp writer whose got a disturbing amount of knowledge about monsters buried in his novels.
>>
File: Geist Template Draft.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Geist Template Draft.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47324762
>Hey Aspel I got some ideas for your geist update.
>Sin-Eaters are treated as a Anchor for ghost that have died from the same threshold as the Sin-Eater.
>Sin-Eaters can create the open condition for ghost that have died the same threshold as the Sin-Eater. By spending 1 plasm as an instant action. Instead by spending 3 plasm they create the open conditions for all ghost.
>Any ghost activating a Manifestation Effects when near a Sin-Eater receives a bonus equal to the Sin-Eater Honorary Rank.
>>47324762
I was actually just going to have Sin-eaters be treated as having the Anchor Condition in general, due to the way Anchors have changed between editions. That encourages ghosts to seek out Sin-eaters beyond the general "treat them as being a graveyard" thing from 1e. Or maybe it was Open? Whichever. Either way, when a ghost is around a Sin-eater, they won't have to worry about things like Essence loss.

I wish I wasn't so reluctant to work on that homebrew for a lot of reasons. It feels weird and a little illegal to rewrite the entire game, and I feel like no one will actually use the rules anyway. And that's on top of feeling like they're going to announce Geist 2e any day now.

I know people are casually interested in the homebrew, but is anyone actually trying to use this stuff or hoping to use it?
>>
>>47324955
Im already using most of the stuff you have put out for my player. My group also have an upcoming coming game a someone is waiting for you to finish before playing a sin-eater.
>>
>>47324532
I love the God-Machine and using it in my games.
>>
>>47324414
Nah, 4 did gives the option for lethal, 5 gives the modifier. So it can be either bashing or lethal.
>>
>>47324955
Yeah, I play in a mixed 2e campaign, and we use the stuff you have done to help bring the Sin-eater into the modern era.
>>
>>47324532
>Favorite bit of lore?

The "Rivers of Death" that tie together some of the books in nWoD 1e. Dr. Brine, the Promethean Osiran, is mapping them, and The Driver from Slasher sees them as a highway.

I like it when there's little ties here and there between disparate books, almost as a hint of how you could connect things, were you so inclined.
>>
Consensual Reality [from Mage: The Ascension]. Absolutely love the concept to death, along with all the concepts that grow out of it [foci, paradox, etc]
>>
>>47325435
I mean, the problem with it is that it just straight up doesn't work.
It's a neat as fuck idea, but if it were real, we would still be in the dark ages.
>>
>>47325492
Do you think most people believe technology doesn't work?
>>
>>47325492
>>47325502
The idea works perfectly. The idea is that research and sending out information is just to prime people's subconscious for new technology. That is why it took so long in the past, but doesn't take as long now. They had to gradually prime the masses to accept these things as possible before they became consensual.
>>
>>47325435

Do you know what I like the most about Mage the Ascensions? Not playing it, LOL
>>
>>47325539
There's still a lot of issues with it; common misconceptions caused by movies that straight up aren't how the world works, being one of the big ones(see: that guy who shot up a Planned Parenthood and left propane tanks around to shoot when the cops arrived because he thought they'd explode, the possibility of knocking someone out in one punch WITHOUT causing any sort of brain damage in the process, any number of things the Mythbusters have disproved.)
>>
>>47325658
That's how magic works. It just means that when you use magic to blow up those propane tanks you can lessen paradox because people believe it's possible.

How is that an issue with it?
>>
>>47325678
This. The rules of physics work according to the unconscious assumptions of all of mankind, collectively. So scientists and educated persons who 'know better' counter-balance the idiots of the masses.

However those misconceptions are still functional for avoiding paradox.
>>
>>47325100
>>47325262
Oh. Well in that case I feel bad that I'm slacking off.

>>47325235
Well yeah, but once you can do Lethal with your bare hands, who'd do Bashing? I just want something weak, for characters that want to be Boxers or something.
I'd actually also like to see some that deal tilts.

>>47325539
The problem is that very simple concepts like germ theory can't work in a setting with Consensual Reality. If reality were consensual, our hearts would be where our thoughts came from and we'd be animated by fire and four humours. There's also the fact that several of the advances in technology that come from research are completely alien to most of the world. Most people don't know how a computer works well enough to have a consensus on how it works, and more people think gas cans explode when shot and banana peels cartoonishly suplex you than otherwise. Shitty /b/ trolling to get people to mix vinegar and bleach wouldn't work simply because most people don't know what that does, and just about every Darwin Award winner would be alive.

As >>47325658 points out, Mythbusters would never work in Ascension, unless they were magically changing reality as Technocracy agents.

>>47325678
Because if reality were consensual, you wouldn't need the spell to make it explode, they would already explode.
>>
>>47325678
Not him, but it's that reality itself is supposed to be Consensual, not the effects of Magic.
If everyone thought that knocking people unconsious didn't cause brain damage (which I would be fairly safe in saying the vast majority of people do think), then it wouldn't.

However in Ascension, despite overwhelming public opinion as to certain viewpoints.
Reality still refuses to budge.
>>
>>47325492

I think in a roleplaying game, "this straight up doesn't work" is the least compelling problem for a concept, especially when it's about as impossible and unreal as magic.
>>
>>47325714
>counter-balance the idiots of the masses
The number of scientists or well educated people in the world is overwhelmed by the masses of the ignorant.

I mean really, the state of world politics today is evidence enough.
Any sane, educated man would vote Trump.
>>
>>47325716
>Because if reality were consensual, you wouldn't need the spell to make it explode, they would already explode.
More people understand science than watch action blockbusters and think they're real.
>>47325714

>>47325722
You think the movie-watching American populace is a majority. It isn't.
>>
>>47325749
Only 5% of the world's population lives in America.
>>
>>47325756
America isn't the only poorly educated country in the world which is addicted to explosions.
>>
>>47325716
1. Consensual reality is local. It is not worldwide, it only extends a set distance from the group who believes it. This is why globalism is so important to the Technocracy, and why magick is more powerful in third world countries and in the middle of nowhere. This is literally the reason the Gauntlet is so thin out near nature, and also the reason machines break down so easily in the desert. Oh, you thought it was the sand? No, its paradox because of the Taftani worldview holds sway in many out of the way places in the mid-east.

2. Our hearts used to be where our thoughts came from, and we used to be animated by the four humors. As the consensus changed, so to did everything else.
>>47325749
>>47325756
Obviously.
>>
>>47325714
But those people who know better are dramatically outvoted, and wouldn't be able to learn such things in the first place. Unless you're telling me that John Snow, Louis Pasteur, and Robert Koch were all Technocracy changing the consensus. Which, if they were literal wizards, that means they were really bad at changing reality.

>>47325729
When the core conceit of your setting doesn't stand up to the basest logical scrutiny, that is a problem. It's not "Magic!" that's the problem, because magic is something we can accept and works within the setting. But when you try to explain it, then it becomes a problem because the explanation is full of holes.

>>47325756
>More people understand science than watch action blockbusters and think they're real.
No they don't. And it's not about the American movie-watching populace. It's about anyone with a television. Hell, I bet there are poor people in Africa without televisions that think that barrels of gas will explode, simply because they've got warnings on them that say "FIRE HAZARD". You've already got people in Liberia and the Congo and South Africa who think that raping a virgin will cure your AIDS.
>>
>>47325780
It's the biggest.
>>
>>47325810
1. Again, the Consensus is localized.
2. Most technological innovations were caused by Technocrats or Technocrat associates yes. First the theory is spread around and debated, then its adopted by the consensus, then technology based on it becomes possible.
>>
>>47325810
>You've already got people in Liberia and the Congo and South Africa who think that raping a virgin will cure your AIDS.
And they're balanced out by the rest of the world who knows it's shit.

And as stupid as you may be, you still went through the American education system and know it's shit, despite all the movies you watch.
>>
Is it weird that one of the reasons I'm looking forward to Sekhem Sorcerers and the Mage/Mummy crossover is so I can try and create a blood sorcery created by those descended from some followers of Imhotep who got turned into vampires?
>>
>>47325768
>>47325780
Not according to Consensual Reality!
>>
>>47325803
>>47325843
Except that if you go somewhere that people believe the action movies, the gas tanks still won't explode. Hell, if reality were locally consensual, things wouldn't break down in the desert because the people driving them don't think they will.

Likewise, if reality is consensual, no one could ever research and experiment to find new things. The very scientific principle wouldn't work, because replication is key, and no one would be able to replicate the experiments of the one mad scientist that changed reality.

>>47325851
Except there are more uneducated people in the world. There always will be. The largest and most populated countries are generally not industrialized. Chinese dirt farmers outweigh all the educated elite.

Saying that "only Americans are dumb" is so fucking asinine. It's childish bullshit that doesn't actually refute the complaints about the setting's logic.
>>
>>47326097
>Except there are more uneducated people in the world. There always will be. The largest and most populated countries are generally not industrialized. Chinese dirt farmers outweigh all the educated elite.
Doesn't matter. The ignorant are disparate, they do not share the same belief as to how things work, they simply don't know.

>Saying that "only Americans are dumb" is so fucking asinine. It's childish bullshit that doesn't actually refute the complaints about the setting's logic.
Your entire argument was based on everyone believing the rules of action movies more than real world rules. Chinese dirt farmers do not learn from action movies.
>>
>>47326281
Using action movies was one singular example of how consensual reality fails. It's also an example of a belief that the ignorant share.
>>
So, do they explode or not
>>
>>47326718

Of course they do. Anything in WoD that can explode will.
>>
Mage the Ascension (because beggars can't be choosers and the GM is a friend) question: how do I combined spheres?
>>
>>47327003
Cyanoacrylate is best.

That actually spellcheck suggests to Technocracy
>>
>>47327003

Mix them in a bowl and then wipe out your avatar and spray quintessence all over that shit
>>
hey I made a crow familiar for an upcoming neolithic mage game look at this fucker:
Towards the Night, crow familiar
Rank 1
Power: 1
Finesse: 3
Resistance: 2
Ban: Towards the Night must perform a minor service, such as a single night of observation or a single usage of its omen sight ability, for anyone that offers it a bird's skull. It cannot be compelled to place itself in physical danger.
Bane: Firelight
Essence: 10
Numina:
Omen Trance
Speed
Innocuous
Corpus: 4
Willpower: 5
Initiative: 5
Defense: 3
Speed: 14
Size: 2
Language: First Tongue, Vinca
Influences: Fear •
Manifestations:
Twilight Form
>>
>>47324799
"DO YOU READ SUTTER CANE?"
>>
What are your favorite individual books (not gamelines) from the WoD and CofD?

I'd say Shadow Player's Guide from Wraith is my all-time favorite, with Dark Ages: Devil's Due, Midnight Roads, Mage Noir, and Danse Macabre all close behind.
>>
So I like Werewolf's themes of maintaining the balance between the human world and the spirit world—but, frankly, I don't want to play a game about Werewolves. How well do you think the spirit mumbo-jumbo could be adapted to a mortal/Hunter style game?

I'm not actually familiar with any of the mechanics of Werewolf, so I don't know if this is a stupid idea or not.
>>
>>47328466
Summoners.

>>47328505
Give Werewolf (2e) a read anyway.
But honestly, sure, you could do it with Hunter if you just give them a way to actually interact with Spirits.
>>
>>47328555
>Give Werewolf (2e) a read anyway.
I'd like to; I mainly ask because I don't want to end up reading it just to find that I can't actually put any of it to practical use. I know I could totally sell my players on a spirit-hunting chronicle, but I doubt I'll be able to convince them to play as a bunch of werewolves.

On a related note: is there a Werewolf 2e download link floating around somewhere?
>>
>>47328612
Pretty sure it's in the pastebin. Also, I know I had the same problem. But honestly being a werewolf is pretty awesome.
>>
>>47328612

Werewolf 2e has tons of stuff for you to steal. You may also want to check Spirit Slayers, for Hunter.

What's your secret re: spirits, anyway? They're the one part of the setting that's never interested me.
>>
>>47328505
first off: werewolf is sick as hell and you should accept it as a game about the descendants of a murdered god bound by an ancient debt.

But if you really wanted to play it without the wolves you could build a decent enough minor template out of some of the abilities werewolves have, most importantly:
1. Inherent ability to speak First Tongue and perceive spirits in Twilight.
2. Ability to look across the Gauntlet
3. Ability to step into the Shadow through a Locus
4. Fetish-crafting.
5. Ability to store and use Essence.

Those would give you a basically playable Mortal+ spirit...person...
>>
>>47328466
Everyone says it, but it's true.
You just can't beat Summoners.
>>
So is Dark Ages: Werewolf any less dumb than regular Apocalypse? I love all the other DA lines.
>>
>>47328689
Spirits are fucking awesome. They're animistic totems of concepts in a Darwinian jungle world.
>>
>>47328466
Horror Recognition Guide from Hunter is bar none my favorite book of fiction from CofD.
>Gnosopharm
>Cat Lady
>Ten Photos
>The Market
unfffff
>>
>>47328505
>>47328705
Fluff 'em as Shamans. Done.
>>
>>47328705
>first off: werewolf is sick as hell
I want to love it, Anon. If it clicks, I will definitely try and convince my group to play it, but I expect it's going to be a tough sell.

Thanks for the suggestions, though! I will definitely keep this stuff in mind.

>>47328689
>What's your secret re: spirits, anyway?
I think I just watched too much weird anime when I was younger: Bakemonogatari, Mushishi, Mononoke, or any of Hayao Miyazaki's darker stuff. I definitely found myself channeling the tone of these things when I ran Geist, even if it's totally different from the game's intended Day-of-the-Dead vibe.

I love the idea of normal folks trying to understand, bargain with, fight, and put down these creatures that are at once alien and inextricably tied to the thoughts / emotions of humanity. Or something like that.
>>
>>47328689
Spirits have a lot of creative room, but aren't so open-ended as to cause the Mage problem. Makes them great as NPCs, Antagonists, and other set-pieces.
>>
>>47328911
Werewolves are by far the single coolest splat in the entire WoD, old and new.

But the Forsaken are losers. Pure all the way. Ninna Farakh represent.
>>
>>47328992
why would you pick the worst Pure tribe? It's Fire-Touched or bust you anarcho-primitivist chumps
>>
>>47325716
By the way I have put alot of thought about what the Sin-Eater verson of "Going Loud". Im calling it "Unsealing the Quietus"

Its a fact that Geist is constantly pushing back deathly energies from the Sin-Eater's Death.
its also known that sin-eaters gain power for deathly energies.

So what if the Sin-Eater allows the deathly energies from his own death in?
Logically that should be a lot of power.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/quietus
>>
>>47329041
You mean best Pure tribe, you masochistic jesus camp motherfucker.
>>
>>47329041
>>47329208
>Not even the Pure fans like the Ivory Claws
>>
>>47329256
I like the ivory claw. as antagonist
>>
>>47329256
i like Silver Wolf a whole lot but the Ivory Claws themselves are not as immediately engaging. They're "evil werewolf country club" while the other two are "REBIRTH THROUGH FIRE AND BLOOD" and "BRUTALITY IS THE PATH TO FREEDOM" .
I say this despite the fact that the main Pure presence in setting of the werewolf campaign i'm running right now are a gigantic, 200-year-old horde of Ivory Claws that have been controlling the region for as long as they've been there.

I do find the whole "libraries of lineage charts" and "purity of blood" stuff interesting for creating enemies that are wholly unreasonable, which is important for antagonists.
>>
>>47329256
I like all the Pure tribes, but I'd rather play a Predator King. My character concepts always lean toward the primal, with a focus on intense physicality, instinctive behaviors, and bestial force in all endeavors.
>>
>>47329181
>Sin-Eater verson of "Going Loud"
Jesus fuck, not every splat needs to be a copy of each other.
>>
>>47329181
>I wanna add something completely unnecessary to the themes of my favorite splat just to give them a power boost so I can wank over my fan 2e update even harder

>>47329256
I'm a fan of the Ivory Claws, though I dunno if I'd call myself a Pure fan
I mostly just like the idea of using them for the kind of shit Pentex would be used for in WtA; scientific facilities filled with Uratha that have been tested on in horrible ways, some of whom barely resemble Uratha anymore, others stuck in bio-mechanical machines that abuse the properties being a Werewolf gives their bodies

>>47329368
Ivory Claws are, in my mind, basically "Whywolves" taken to the worst possible extreme
I blame Chris, entirely, because of that one Ivory Claw facility write-up he did a while back
>>
>>47329181
I don't really think it's necessary. I mean, I do want some sort of aura, but I think >>47329551 has a point. It can fit Changeling, and Promethean will also probably have it, but Geist doesn't really need it. Although I could see certain ways that it might work out, I don't really see the point to it.

>>47329832
>>I wanna add something completely unnecessary to the themes of my favorite splat just to give them a power boost so I can wank over my fan 2e update even harder
That's not me, that's someone suggesting it to me.

Also, Whywolves? I think Ivory Claw are great because they're some of the worst aspects of the Garou Nation as villains.
>>
>>47329887
>Also, Whywolves?
The Adventure Time version of Werewolves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1X2tTzDufE
I basically just mean "scientist werewolves" though
>>
>>47325110
Tell me more, I dont hear enough GMC stories
>>
>>47329390
>I want to play a rapist cannibal
>It's just what I lean towards
>>
>>47329932
Not that guy, but I was running a Demon game until a couple of weeks ago
It started out with the players all waking up in a room made to look like a doctor's office, inside a Facility, and then escorted to wherever the G-M wanted their missions to begin by a handler(mortals for all but 1, who had a stigmatic handler), and then they all Fell through various methods.
the Messenger's Fall happened when he asked his Handler to wait a minute, so he could watch what he'd done and take pride in it
the Analyst's Fall happened when she corrected the Destroyer Angel sent to flub an investigation and get her father thrown in jail, which led to him being taken off the case and her father walking free
the Guardian's Fall happened when she decided to hijack the bank account of the man whose account she was sent to prevent a hack on
the Destroyer's Fall happened when, after assassinating a man, he received a new Mission to kill himself, and he chose not to(he's the one who got the Stigmatic handler)
They spent about 3 sessions with only the Analyst and Messenger knowing each other(the Guardian joined on second 2, the Destroyer on session 3, the Messenger left before session 4), and then took another 2 sessions to actually meet each other face-to-face, since I didn't want it to be forced

They spent all 5 of those sessions looking into the Facility they woke up in, which was a big Occult Matrix that as taking in criminals and ne'er-do-wells, wiping their minds clean, and then keeping them healthy and strong until the God-Machine needed one of them to fill in a new Angel's appearance
The Facility was beneath the HQ of a big neuroscience company, who'd been sending out free MRI machines to hospitals who needed them, and said MRI machines were sending data back to their main office
The brain scans were being used to piece together suitable personalities for the Angels being summoned in the Facility, before sending them out
TL;DR Dollhouse: The Occult Matrix
>>
>>47329551
>>47329832
Literally every splat except mage as one.
>>
>>47330026
Also, after that fifth session, the Analyst dropped out, and I recruited a mutual friend of mine and the Destroyer's
He made a Psychopomp, who's Mission was to plant a bio-mechanical heart into every 4th car he worked on at his job as a Mechanic; one day, the guy whose car was lucky #4 came back just before he finished doing the repairs on the car, but before he could install the heart in it, and drove off the moment the Psychopomp turned away(he left the money he owed on a table nearby, iirc)
Psychopomp tracked the dude down and broke into his house in the middle of the night, then popped the hood of his car and started to install the heart inside
But then the guy who owned the car opened the garage door with a bat in hand and turned on the light, and asked what the fuck as going on; we basically decided he had two options: 1) Kill the guy, which would lead to a Fall because it was clear the point of the hearts being installed was for them to be driven around the city, and with him dead, the car wouldn't move. 2) Stop installing the heart, which would lead to a Fall because he decided of his own will to not follow his Mission, as well as his arrest for breaking and entering, and possibly the guy and some others becoming Stigmatics
(there's also the third option of continuing to install it, but that would have lead to the Psychopomp getting whacked in the head with the bat, and probably his death)
He decided to attack the guy, and try to kill him.

It started out going not-so-well, with him taking half his health in a single hit of lethal damage, but only doing a couple of bashing to the guy, so he pulled out a wrench, and dramatically failed a swing with it, which lead to it sticking to a magnet on the shelf next to him. He reacted by saying fuck it and doing a Partial Transformation to manifest his Blade Arm(cont)
>>
The guy fell to his knees and started crying, begging him not to kill him(I mostly did this because the player mentioned to me that he has a bad habit of being way too empathetic in games)
We considered letting him live, which would make him become a Stigmatic, and actually probably would have been a pretty interesting element to the story imo
He killed him, though, and then finished installing the heart and fucked off to a church to confess that he killed someone

The next session consisted of the meeting that had been set up at the end of the previous session not going as planned; the Guardian didn't show, though the Psychopomp was (conveniently) nearby, because his bike broke down, and there was a piece of Infrastructure right next to them
After they talked for a while, the Psychopomp walked over to introduce himself, since they all pinged each other with Aetheric Resonance, when suddenly a flashbang got fired out of a grenade launcher, and an EMP went off
And then an Angel materialized out of the flashbang, and attacked them.

The Destroyer and Psychopomp ran for the Psychopomp's bike, since he managed to fix it, but the Angel chased after them and made made sure it wouldn't start, so the Psychopomp ran off while the Destroyer got smacked and proceeded to Go Loud in order to survive and kill the Angel with his Rivet Arm
The session ended with the 2 of them ducking into the Psychopomp's Bolthole, and the game ended there for various reasons
>>
>>47330057
Only Demon and Changeling have one.
Every splat but Changeling and Demon has an Aura.
I am giving Sin-eaters a Haunting Aura of some sort, though.
>>
>>47330162
>The guy fell to his knees and started crying, begging him not to kill him(I mostly did this because the player mentioned to me that he has a bad habit of being way too empathetic in games)
>He killed him, though,
Forgot to mention, in true me-running-games fashion, I hit the play button on this song right after I finished typing the guy's last words
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_j1JOzW8mM

>>47330057
>>47330171
I hardly consider Frenzy or Death Rage on-par with Embracing the Wyrd or Going Loud
For one, Changelings and Demons can trigger theirs willingly, while Vampires only do it when provoked, and Werewolves only do it when they encounter a Trigger or take on Gauru too long/outside of combat

And Beast doesn't have one
>>
>>47330205
I wouldn't consider Frenzy or Death Rage like Embracing the Wyrd or Going Loud at all. Hell, I wouldn't compare flaring your nimbus to Going Loud either.

That said, in my homebrew Sin-eaters DO have something similar to Frenzy. It's called Fervor, and is the Geist taking over. It happens when you don't indulge their Passion for too long, and they aren't so much trying to fuck you over as they are trying to get their fix. You can also let your Geist take the wheel willingly, which means you're playing them, with the Sin-eater riding shotgun.
>>
>>47330057

Dave said that Mages are gonna have like 6 different versions of that power
>>
>>47330004
There's a good deal more to them than that, yo.
>>
>>47330349
Garou is the wolfy equivalent, I feel. Temporary awesome buff of awesome, with a risk/downside.
>>
>>47330569
Hell frenzy gives a bonus of blood potency to 5 of the 9 attributes.
>>
>>47330585
And I feel the closest thing a Mage has its Reach. That's the Risk/Reward thing to me.
>>
Please no more going loud, its boring and stupid. It looks great on demons, but on changelings its mindless fuckery of fuck.
>>
I'm not sure I understand this setting. How do games flow?
Is the setting just like our normal world, but supernatural?
>>
>>47330689
Pretty much. Also a darker place in general.
>>
>>47330689
Its normal world setting, supernatural exist but hiding\humans cant see it. Like supernatural series but less gay. Or Lovecraft mythos but no huge tentacle monsters.
>>
>>47330689
It's like our world, but shitter in many ways to justify much of the "hey, the world's shit, let's just be shit ourselves" stuff that many Supernaturals personally contend with.

In terms of game-flow, it's just like any other game.
You have a setting, a plot, and character who fit within it.
>>
>>47330689
Imagine a show like Grimm, or Supernatural, or True Blood, or Vampire Diaries, or Bitten, or Constantine, or.. you get the idea.

They're always our world, but with a second world beneath the surface - a darker world full of terrors and monsters, things that live alongside humanity and prey on it. Few people are aware, but their impact on things can be significant.

That's how the WoD is. For most people, for most of their lives, it's just like anyone's life here in our world. And in our world, sometimes a girl goes missing in the woods. Sometimes a man wakes up one day and says he's seen the light and vanishes from his family. Sometimes you find a body and don't understand what killed it, or bump into a creepy doomsday cult with queer beliefs and rituals, whatever.

In the WoD, sometimes those things have supernatural explanations.
>>
>>47330719
>Like supernatural series but less gay

Maybe yours isn't

>Or Lovecraft mythos but no huge tentacle monsters

Maybe yours don't
>>
>>47330630
Dude no others splats "going load" compares to a demon going load.

Their power stat raises to 10 get every embed available to their "X" splat, has every exploit in game, and has unending aether. So a changeling getting to choose to boost a total amount of stats equal to their power stat is not so power in comparison.
>>
>start a dark ages mortals game
>each single PC is forced into the first mission by a different guy
>we have to fuck eachother over

I hope something happens soon or it's gonna be a hell of a ride
>>
>>47330776
>dark ages mortals
>fuck each other
Accursed sodomites
>>
>>47330776

I hear sex in the Dark Ages was diertier, because everybody was covered in dirt and shit
>>
File: RPG_adventure!_cover.jpg (14 KB, 181x260) Image search: [Google]
RPG_adventure!_cover.jpg
14 KB, 181x260
Anyone played Adventure! ?

Is it any good? The d20 one.
>>
If DaveB sees this, there are two attempts at converting the Bene Ashmedai in the forums and both vary wildly. Any chance we see it converted anytime soon?
>>
>>47331337

He has four other Legacies to convert first and that's after he does errata and goes through the FAQ thread. The man's busy.
>>
Starting Mage soon. Will 10 d10s serve my purposes?
>>
Are there no more safe place to determine size? Whay if I own an entire island
>>
Are there any Scelestus Dynasties in Mage? That is Proximus Dynasties that undergo an Abyssal Awakening as opposed to a normal on.
>>
What Arcana combinations would best fit trying to replicate different musical Genres?
>>
What's the stongest Hunter creed and why?
>>
>>47330763
I mean flavor, not actual implication.
>>
>>47331400
Yeah. Even when you get a higher die pool, you're gonna gimp it to 10 anyways.
>>
>>47331719
speaking of hunter, is a 7 dice attack roll and a base 7/8 dice damage roll enough to start destroying dem pesky rots from the get go?

Also our GM decided to not let us meet Vampires or Werewolves unless we've progressed a lot in the story because she feels they are too well organised to not kill us as soon as we attract some attention
>>
>>47331426
I don't think so, but that sounds awesome. How would that even work though?
>>
>>47328466
V20 Anarchs Unbound, and V20 Rites of the Blood.

I love the Anarchs. They're such a flawed, yet idealistic bunch of punks and wannabe-philosophers. My best games (that is to say, the games I've enjoyed the most) have always revolved around Anarch storylines or Anarch coteries.
>>
>>47332588
>How would that even work though?
They could be an Acanthus Dynasty of Scelesti who are based on the cannibalistic time cult spawned by summoning of Prince of 100,000 Leaves, a Scelestic Obrimos Dynasty that uses Space and Prime to make the proofs of the Nemesis Continuum into Supernal Symbols, or even a Mastigos Dynasty that uses Matter and Space to warp the landscape into openings for the Twisted Maze.
>>
>>47331426
>>47333581
Scelesti are created, not born. Also, there are only three 'canon' Proximus Dynasties between four books. Proximi also aren't Awakened at all, unless you mean that they're created with the intent that they'll Awaken as Scelesti.
>>
File: Brotherhood of the Demon Wind.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Brotherhood of the Demon Wind.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Thoughts on this updated version of a 1e legacy?
>>
>>47333761
>unless you mean that they're created with the intent that they'll Awaken as Scelesti.
Precisely.
>>
>>47333775
You keep saying "with one reach", but that means nothing. All spells have at least one Reach. You need to tell us what the Reach is assigned to.

Patient Grace has Reach assigned to Instant in both cases.
Tipping the Hourglass also has Reach assigned to Instant casting.
Few Against Many also has Reach assigned to being an Instant spell.
In fact, the ONLY time you don't apply Reach solely to Instant casting is with the very last Attainment, and even then I don't actually know if Teleportation can be used on objects.

Honestly, I think most of these are bland, and don't do much with the Attainment creation guidelines. You've used a simple "this is a 1 dot spell, this is a 5 dot spell" method, you haven't done anything unique with the Reach system, and you haven't applied any spell factors. The layout could use work, there are numerous spelling errors, and on top of that, you don't even list some of the things that are necessary, like the default Potency of the Attainments.

Remember:
>Attainments are usually automatic
>They have primary spell factors equal to the highest prerequisite Arcanum
>They have secondary spell factors that would incur a penalty equal to the lowest prerequisite Arcanum
>They have successes equal to the highest Arcanum
>>
>>47334205
Compare your Brotherhood with the 11th Question's Attainments
>Undisturbed Scene
A • spell with it's free Reach dedicated to Instant casting and successes equal to Time, with another optional feature with successes equal to Matter.
>Unobvious Answer
A • Spell that uses it's two free Reach for Instant and Sensory. The additional effect is a •• spell with Instant Reach.
>Chance Answer
A • spell that makes good use of it's three Reach, and the additional effect actually looks to be Shaping with one Reach dedicated to shaping solid matter.
>Timely Answer
I'll admit I'm not sure what to make of the secondary effect of Timely Answer. Seems more like a Fate spell.
>Penultimate Answer
Again, it's a bit vague in how it relates to actual spell effects, but the Matter bonus actually spells out what it can do with it's free Spell Factors. It also is actually two spells that do opposite things.

You shouldn't focus solely on assigning a power with a dot rating equal to the Attainment level. That leads to really boring Attainments. You should also work with the free Spell Factors that you have available to you, and keep in mind the fact that things get free successes instead of being rolled.
>>
So, what're some creative ways to make life spells lasting? I mean more transformation stuff, i had a vague idea to use it to make a tree who's fruit changed genetic makeup but i wasn't sure if that was outside the purview of even like, life 4.
>>
>>47330057
The Mage equivalent is tag teaming with a Supernal Being. Ridiculous power in exchange for a hard trial and extreme risk.
>>
>Tfw I live near Mark Rein-Hagen
>ask him to play with him in local divebar, he gives me his card and tells me to contact him
>try to add him on facebook and send messege on email, no reply
;_; I just want be in a game where he is an ST.
What the fuck is he doing in post-USSRia anyway?
>>
>>47334215
Thanks for the feedback man, working on some adjustments.
Which includes completely rewriting many attainments, and making many of them much less combat centric, also specifying what Potency is and does.

Thoughts:
>Attainment 1
Prepare to strike with a weapon, Space optional grants omnivision when preparing

>Attainment 2
Determine whether someone is a threat and gain initiative equal to time Dots if he is, Space grants information about his emotional connection to you (if it exists).

>Attainment 3
Acceleration (it's gotta be there man), space allows bypassing any barrier with a touch so long as you can see where you're going

>Attainment 4
Foreknowledge of the future round for rounds equal to Time dots (Mastery of Combat through foreknowledge), space permits severance of his own non-Connected sympathetic connections (casting off unwanted attachments).

>Attainment 5
Freeze time for rounds equal to Time (ultimate immersion in the Demon Wind), Space permits co-location in a number of locations equal to Space dots, may flicker between them twice reflexively each turn (diving in and out over and over again).
>>
>>47334783
When you say "when preparing", do you mean as an Extended Casting? Keep in mind that the default cast length for an Attainment isn't based on Gnosis, it's *one scene*, which is very useful. Essentially ten to thirty minutes.

Also, you should really do something that involves physical cutting with the sword. Maybe creating a two way portal between two areas. But that's just for thematics.
>>
>>47334511
supernal beings are basically useless for anything besides information & MAYBE a little bit of spellcasting.
>>
File: Aldwin-Iaijutsu-Training.jpg (64 KB, 800x578) Image search: [Google]
Aldwin-Iaijutsu-Training.jpg
64 KB, 800x578
>>47334874
No, nothing like that.
I meant "preparing" is basically Perfect Timing.
You prepare your strike for a turn during the spell's duration, then get bonus dice equal to Time.

Also using a Sword to cut a portal would be a Legacy Yantra.
Spend time performing a Kata, with the final act being the cutting of the Portal, the power of the Legacy helping you cast the spell.
>>
>>47334960
If someone's going to knock down your front Door, I'd be quite happy knowing that a Rank 2-3 Imp with Life secondary may be there to help me fuck them up.
>>
>>47334571

He moved there to farm and liked the place.
>>
Paradox & Dissonance - why?

Sanguinous the vampire can throw a guy through a wall in full view of a nightclub and nobody would give a shit. But Komodo the Thyrsus does it and his soul gets raped by paradox or his spell collapses under dissonance and he gets his shit pushed in by the now angry and not-in-another-zip -code enemy

Why are mages so heavily gimped?
>>
>>47335164
I know this is a troll post but even in second edition where Paradox is more likely, you can buy off Paradox dice with mana and then immediately scour away any paradox condition you might incur anyway for the low low cost of 1 lethal damage. It's not that bad
>>
>>47335164
Because the games have different themes and narrative focus, and Mage powers come from a different place narratively.
>>
>>47335164
Because of the Abyss.
You might as well ask why Vampires are burnt by the sun, or Changelings are hunted by the Gentry.
>>
>>47335192
>>47335218
>>47335219
>all basically the same answers you get when asking why Mages are so powerful

Interesting
>>
>>47335164
>>47335232
http://www.thesubnet.com/portal/cod/mtaw/RolePlayDi.html
http://www.thesubnet.com/portal/cod/mtaw/MagicP.html
>>
>>47335263
Bitch needs to hury up and update to the new edition
>>
>>47335232
"Some games focus on different things".

Mages can't cast magic willy nilly.
Vampires can't go out in the sun.
Werewolves drive people insane when they transform.
No one can see through the mask.

You might as well ask "why?" to all of these as well. Stop trying to make this some stupid "mage supremacy" bullshit.
>>
Question my players posed to me regarding the Sleeping Curse in Awakening 2E, by the way. If a character were to attempt to "disguise" their magic, the example being if they found an injured sleeper, gave them some water with food coloring, said "drink this potion" and then cast an accelerated healing spell on them, would this be effective in making the magic less obvious? Or would it incur Paradox as per normal.

This is a "halving recovering time" healing spell, not a "heal lethal damage instantly" spell. No question that the second would incur Paradox.
>>
>>47335300
I used to be a mage supremacy dickbag, I hated Mage 1e.

But for reasons I don't fully understand, 2e converted me. I recently started my first 2e game and I love it.
>>
>>47335300
But mage still a higher power!.
One World of Darkness, One Game Line, One Fuhrer!
>>
>>47335324
I don't know what's hard to understand about "it's a more coherent and structured game with better focus and tighter mechanics".
>>
>>47335337
All under one sky, unchanging. One season?
>>
>>47335324
>I used to be a mage supremacy dickbag, I hated Mage 1e.

Wait. I thought Mage Supremacy dickbags were all pro-Mage.
>>
>>47335314
The effect has to be obviously Magical when it's cast for Paradox to occur from Sleeper witness.

If they later looked at their wounds and were complete and utterly astounded as to how they'd healed so much in mere days, that might cause dissonance.
>>
>>47335367
Its not like we need change of seasons. What are we, changelings?
>>
>>47335405
...this is what I get for referencing Pet Shop Boys, isn't it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V76d6_04LLE
>>
>>47335378
Sarcastic mage supremacy
>>
>>47334332
Please respond.
>>
>>47334332
Maybe you can grow that tree in the Hedge.
>>
>>47335405
Lodge of Seasons werewolves.
>>
>>47335512
Doghouse there --->
>>
>>47335392
Healed wounds are unaffected by dissonance, speed up healing factor would.
>>
Why are the Fish shapeshifters in Werewolf utterly useless?
>>
>>47335378
>>47335450
It's all sarcastic mage supremacy. Mage fans don't think that way because it would make Mage boring.

>>47334332
You can't.
>>
>>47335643
Underwater is boring, so making fish-shifters crap is the devs subtly telling you not to go underwater
>>
>>47335646
>It's all sarcastic mage supremacy. Mage fans don't think that way because it would make Mage boring.

Oh. I never cared much for mage because of the obnoxious fans. Might be worth checking out then.
>>
>>47335741
Stick exclusively with 2e, for your own sake
>>
>>47335748
I'll bite: Why?
>>
>>47331426
The "Intruders: Encounters with the Abyss" has at least two Abyssal bloodlines with strange effects that plague them, so there is some precedent. Going by a gut feeling, Abyss should interfere with Awakening, but don't let that stop you. Perhaps such a Proximus could Awaken directly to an Abyssal Ziggurat.
>>
>>47335164

Wait for patches, Mages are too nerfed atm
>>
File: john dies at the end.jpg (27 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
john dies at the end.jpg
27 KB, 333x500
Who's CofD games are comedic and what are some quirky things that go on in your game?

Pic Related??
>>
>>47335796
Because >>47335350
>"it's a more coherent and structured game with better focus and tighter mechanics".
Common opinion is that 1e core does a shitty job at selling the setting, and the mechanics are confusing to the point that half the people who actually DO the theorycrafting here don't realize how they work. It's like the Locate City Nuke trick (which also doesn't work).
>>
>>47336357
>Perhaps such a Proximus could Awaken directly to an Abyssal Ziggurat.
That is kind of what I was going with. I think you could explain one of the Blessings being the Proximus subjecting their target to the affects of their Dynasties Dur-Abzu. (If this was a TBIS Dynasty, for example, then it would blanket the area with toxic and carcinogenic smog)
>>
File: Manus,_Father_of_the_Abyss.jpg (122 KB, 1131x707) Image search: [Google]
Manus,_Father_of_the_Abyss.jpg
122 KB, 1131x707
What's wrong with the abyss though
>>
>>47336357
>>47336670

I think it's certainly a good one-off, or a Mystery for a chronicle; a "Proximus" who's linked to the Abyss instead of the Supernal.
>>
>>47336426
Dudes of Legend is still my favorite supplement of all time, so yeah.
>>
>>47336723
>Dave approved
So what would an Abyssal Proximus be like?

Also, speaking of Proximi, can I get your developer's explanation for why you did Proximi like you did? I don't think they're terrible or worthless, but I do feel like a lot of the original narrative space was left on the cutting room floor. Any reason you went the route you did?
>>
>>47336710
Everything. By definition.
>>
>>47336723

It appears that the OPP forum official Mage 2e errata thread has closed.

When might we expect the final Mage 2e PDF and PoD?
>>
>>47336864

It'll be easier to envisage once I've detailed Nasnasi (Joined Scelesti - the ones who have their Paths corrupted).

As for Proximi... The only real nerf to them was that they used to have High Speech, and they don't now. We also had a *very* tight word limit to do them in, so look at those two pages in the Appendix as the bare minimum Proximus rules so we can have dynasties show up in future books without having to explain them. In the event of a Sleepwalker book, they'd probably get all kinds of expansions, rules-wise. Comprehend High Speech as a Merit, maybe.
>>
>>47336901
I only just noticed that had closed.

No time estimates. From my idle scanning of it, there's a lot of duplication and many "errata" requests that are actually demands for things that are never going to happen or requests for setting explanations that would undercut our selling future supplements.

But there's plenty of things like "this spell seems to be at the wrong Practice" where I have to mull whether or not the poster is right, as well as the simple format and spelling checks.

The hardest part is when people point out grammar mistakes that aren't mistakes.
>>
>>47336932
Do you like my idea for the Blessings having ties to the Dur-Abzu of the Dynasty?
>>
>>47336932
Can Mages be skinchangers?

How about blood bathers?

I have a self-hating cabal looking for ways to empower themselves whilst intentionally trying to ignore and refuse to use the supernal.
>>
>>47337022
>Can Mages be skinchangers?
>How about blood bathers?
These bothe sound like things the Seers in service of Raptor would do. I wonder if Dave saw the Prelacy names we came up with for the other Exarchs?
>>
I'm running a V:TM Nosferatu only chronicle for some friends at the minute and I'm giving them some stuff to go on to try and get the police force somewhat back in the Nos Primo/Under-Prince's pocket.

They're currently having some fun at the new Police Chief's house while he is at an inauguration gala in the town hall but I'm thinking of also sending them over to dig up some bits on the DA Alison who is currently staying in the city.

Being that WOD is WOD, I'm not sure what to do in terms of dirt on this DA. I want it to be less outlandish than missing criminals in the basement of the police chief. So I was thinking drugs. However it's WOD and a lot of people in higher governing positions are going to be slamming illegal substances into their noses and veins, because let's face it, they do that here and this is supposed to be shit bag city. Do I make up a new drug or stick with a tried and tested drug and go down a synthetic OTT version of it?
Or I could possibly go with an out of town ghoul feel which could also bring up some personal horror if the players (two of which have ghouls) could perhaps see that addiction without the rose tinted spectacles they apply to their retainers. I'm not sure if that's too on the nose.

Thoughts?
>>
>>47337091
DA liaison even.
>>
>>47336932
>The only real nerf to them was that they used to have High Speech, and they don't now.
They also used to not cause paradox, and could buy Blessings of Spells up to four dots.

My main issue is that the things I used to want to do with Proximi to contrast them with Mages aren't possible now. The biggest thing is that they're all ritual casters unless they consciously choose to spend the point of mana for Reach, which is pretty tough for Proximi that want to cast a lot, since they only have five points. I liked Proximi with a sort of X-men feel, and always saw them as raw talent to a Mage's trained skill, but that's not really a thing anymore. The five hour casting limit is also a big pain, but to be fair they literally had no listed ritual casting time in 1e, if I remember.
>>
>>47337180
>>47336932
I guess my question is really about what YOU see Proximi as being for, narratively.
>>
>>47337074
Pls repost those names.

Havent been here in months, all these new editions and beast talk scare me.
>>
>>47337074
One had unseen sense as a sleepwalker and it already left them overwhelmed. When he Awoke and suddenly he could sense everything instead of just one thing he NOPE'd out hard.

Another was a standard MAge until he got his house burned down and his family killed by Seers. Now he wants to go underground Supernally but is unwilling to be left defensive.

The third read that paragraph in Immortals about Mages becoming Unawakened when they become Purified and is working on a way to more safely re-produce that effect.
>>
>>47337222
The Chancellor: Greed
The Psychopomp: Mourning
The Nemesis: Shadow
The Raptor: Predation
The Prophet: Awe
The Ruin: Despair
The Gate: Void
>>
So is anyone ever going to acknowledge that Heroes are a straight rip-off of Ahabs from Leviathan?
>>
>>47337222
Yeah. I didn't see them.

Oh - the Matter / Chancellor Prelacy is called Scarcity.
>>
Hi, I wonna be a mage, but i have fear of heights. Are those towers really high?
>>
>>47337293

Is more material on the lesser Ministries and non-Archgenitor Exarchs something you'd like to explore in the future, or do you prefer them vague?
>>
>>47337293
>Oh - the Matter / Chancellor Prelacy is called Scarcity.
Well now I just feel like an idiot for calling it Greed.
>>
>>47337304
Watchtowers are a fairytale told to apprentices by lazy instructors who can't be arsed / lack sufficient dots in Prime to give a real explanation of Awakening.
>>
>>47337320
So you didnt see watchtower when you Awaken?
>>
>>47337358
Not in 2e
>>
File: aliens.jpg (43 KB, 461x403) Image search: [Google]
aliens.jpg
43 KB, 461x403
>>47337320
Are Exarchs just manifestations of the God Machine who aim to prevent the flow of Supernal Magic into the real world?
>>
>>47337384

Don't.
>>
>>47337315

The Prophet's one is called Agency, too.

I invented both of them (Scarcity and Agency) for first edition - they're here http://forums.whitewolfarchive.com/default9b2e-6.html?g=posts&m=385476#post385476

Shouldn't be hard to take the general idea and pick which ones to make into the Crown Attainments.
>>
>>47337384
God Machine - manifestation of Ascended Mage who enter this world from another below it after mages of this world win over seers and make world fall again in their hubris.
>>
>>47337392
What Has Fallen May Rise Again
>>
>>47337260
Sounds cool.

>>47337293
Did not want to imply I am you, I like that you still come here.

So busy nowadays that I can't talk about Seers being realy scary all day.
>>47337314

Seriously, from my nWoD knowledge they seem to be the most evil faction as they willfully crush potential for mostly petty stuff.

Feeling sort of divinity as a minister might be a an acceptable excuse compared to creature comforts..but still....how could one keep awakening from others?

>Tfw the Paternoster Minister doesnt even feel his master like the othere, nasty twist.
>>
>>47337393
Dave, whats your favourite Ministry?
>>
>>47335314
It wouldn't incur paradox, but it WOULD incur dissonance.
>>
>>47337007
Dave, if you're still around? Love 2e's changes to fate. But one spell, Chaos mastery, confuses the shit out of me. It's resisted, and gives you options of Potency+ fate. I've of the options is unresisted damage. How the hell does that work?
>>
Why do Matter mages get so shafted on their attainments compared to everyone else?

Was it really that hard to come up with something cool for Matter like Spirit or Space get?
>>
>>47337284
>Implying anyone actually plays Leviathan
I literally know nothing about it other than M-preg and Lovecraft.
>>
>>47337555
>spirit
>getting anything good

"You get to spend Mana to use one of your spells that's fucking free if you improvise it" are literally both of Spirit's reachable attainments.

Arcanum 4 isn't gonna happen in most games, and even if it did, Rank 4 lets you bully Rank 2 spirits or less; ones you've been skullfucking trivially anyway since Spirits withstand spells with Rank.
>>
>>47337555
Spirit and Space are nonexistant entities so they get cool stuff. Real matter gets boring stuff, but since its real you can do any effect with it. You only need to persuade your ignorant st that anything is made out of matter after all, so change yourself into giant monkey is matter 5, not life.
>>
>>47337648

Matter is explicitly inanimate stuff, silly.
>>
>>47337661
Moving matter still matter, silly.
>>
>>47337384
Nah, the God-Machine is the half-aborted stump of the mechanisms that ran the world before the Abyss was summoned between Supernal and Fallen; it's like a lizard's tail that's still twitching after it's been lopped off.

#magesupremacyforlifeyo

>>47337454

Mammon. Evil sumbitches that they are. It would be Pantechnicon, but they're the plucky butt-monkey of the Iron Pyramid that both Pantechnicon and the Free Council kick around. Mammon have no regrets, and I've enjoyed using them as the antagonists in my chronicle.
>>
>>47337684

Not to the Supernal. So far as the Supernal is concerned, a monkey and a monkey's corpse are as far apart as a monkey and a pizza, or a monkey and a hunk of lead.

That's why something going from being alive to not being alive is a huge transformation, requiring its own arcanum.
>>
>>47337727
So Dave. Mage Skinchanges / Blood bathers

Yay or nay?
>>
>>47337741
Viruses are Matter or Life?
>>
>>47337074
Isn't skinchangers a supernatural merit now? Also blood bather is a full on minor supernatural template. So mages shouldn't be able to turn into either.

Much like how you can ghoul a werewolf turn vampire into a demon blooded.
>>
>>47337761

Life while it still functions, probably. Same way hair is still a Life pattern while it's on your head.

A "dead" virus, one that no longer functions, is probably Matter.
>>
>>47337766
>Isn't skinchangers a supernatural merit now?

que?

>Also blood bather is a full on minor supernatural template.

Purified are a template. Blood bathing is an external, temporary ritual. You design your ritual, not take a merit or apply a template.
>>
>>47337779
So if electrical charges is brain - Mind, anywhere else - Forces.
>>
Is something like sweat or blood considered matter or life?

If it's my sweat or blood how strong is my sympathetic connection to it?

I want to leave a handprint on some guys car and use it to track his movement and if ned be transmute the print into hydrazine and blow his ass up.
>>
>>47337727
Let's be honest. "a Wizard did it" is the most rational response to all of the problems in a world filled with wonder and horror.
>>
>>47337807
>Is something like sweat or blood considered matter or life?

Matter is inert, so once the sweat comes off you or the blood is spilled, it's matter. Actually sweat is always matter, you can argue Life for blood still in a person because it's keeping them alive.

>Weak: The two subjects have barely touched one another metaphysically; the subjects of a mage’s spells, or items she has used as Yantras. Casual acquaintances, coworkers, replaceable belongings.

Sweat and blood are replaceable, so unless you have a mechanical connection to your blood via a legacy or something, that's the connection it'd give you. But then once the sweat evaporates or the blood congeals it'd lose even that I'd say since the liquid form is the only form you ever knew it in and it's no longer recognisable enough to you to connect to it
>>
>>47337727
Actually I rather like that explanation of the GM
>>
>>47337796

Skinchangers got a 2e update in Dark Eras that made it a supernatural template.
>>
>>47337802
Good rule of thumb, yes.

>>47337807
>Is something like sweat or blood considered matter or life?
Probably Life while they're still warm, then Matter from there on out. Death also has special govern over blood, for symbolic reasons.

>If it's my sweat or blood how strong is my sympathetic connection to it?
Very weak; a symbolic yantra with a Weak sympathy connection at absolute best, and degrading fast.
>>
You can travel back in time with Matter, Life and Forces just by setting position of all thing dead and alive+electrical charges to where they be X time ago.
>>
>>47337859
>to get my 1e skinchanger back he now needs to spend a million merit dots

Greeeeeaaat
>>
>>47337857

It's always fascinating to see a dev's take on what the GM is and how they've used it in their games. The "clone of the Principle created in the future and imposing itself on the past" is also neat.
>>
>>47337927
Dave is a troll, any opinion he gives should be suspected until it's in something OP signed off on
>>
>>47337972

Dave is also sarcastic, and you failed to detect the tone, no less content, of his GM comment.
>>
>>47337972

I once drunkenly explained that theory to Rose. I was too drunk to remember how she reacted.

Either way, it will probably never see print.
>>
>>47338090
>4 mages walk into a bar and have a drunken metaphysical discussion about what they think the God Machine is
>the joke is the bartender is a demon
>>
>>47338134
So that'd be a Mastigos, Thyrsus, Obrimos and Acanthus?
>>
>>47337927

Everyone knows the God-Machine is the Fallen reflection of the Principle which is another name for the Empyrean, the source of all souls above the Supernal. Duh.

My God-Machine is actually just a Cold War supercomputer that rewrote itself into history.
>>
>>47338134
Bartender leave his job with 4 new covers that day.
>>
>>47337927
GM theories are great in general. I'm partial to the theory that the GM and Principle are the broken pieces of a more powerful being, with the GM being the body and the Principle being the soul. I also like to think their are more pieces out there that are missing that have sunken into the Lower Depths. Maybe even other places too, like the Shadow, the Hedge, and the Abyss.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPghd8uoi_Y
This entire album makes me think of the different aspects of Mage.
>>
>>47338090
Hey Dave, why do the spells temporal summoning and rewrite history allow to to take away someone's supernatural template. I can understand some of the reasoning behind it effecting them from before their change.
But shouldn't the supernatural Ascension War patron pretect them from such Blanton alterations?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_M3uw29U1U
Would Major Tom be a Mastigos?
>>
>>47339166
>Unable to cross a vast distance, despite distance being an aspect of the Lie
>Having Space
No.
>>
>>47339201
Well then, what would suggest?
>>
>>47339252
I suggest that he's not a Mage, because any Mage trying to reach space would be eaten by Mvem Jsunp long before they reached anything of significance
>>
>>47339280
>Mvem Jsunp
Wot?
>>
>>47339319
My Very Effective Memory Just Stores Up Nine Planets

Mercury Venus Earth Mars Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune Pluto

Mvem Jsunp is the Mnemonic God of the Solar system.

He, alongside Helios and Luna ensure that shit that's supposed to stay in stays in, and that shit that's supposed to stay out stays out.
>>
>>47330205
>Beast

Beasts have the ravening condition
>>
What breaks if we treat zero successes on paradox containment as a released paradox?
>>
I recently picked up the 20th anniversary book for mage asscencion and am looking to start a game with my friends. Anything I need to know beforehand (other then the rules), or any advice?
>>
>>47339412
>Anything I need to know beforehand (other then the rules), or any advice?

Have fun! That's the most important bit, and something a lot of folks seem to forget, heh. Always remember that if you see a rule which you and your friends don't like, you should ignore it or change it.

And if somebody wants to argue or debate something rules-wise, tell them to do it *after* the end of the session, otherwise you're probably gonna break the flow of the story and ruin the session for everyone involved.

And if you're the Storyteller and you find yourself agreeing that you made a mistake somewhere that somehow inconvenienced a player when it shouldn't have, give them some etra eperience points to take away the sting of the mistake.

That's all I can remember for now.
>>
>>47339531
>etra eperience

me spek englush gud

I meant "extra experience", in case it wasn't obvious.
>>
Hey, Dave, if you're still around, I'm trying to make a 2e version of the Whipping Boys and I've got a question:

Can the same Session be both a Yantra and an Oblation?
>>
>>47339412
What Tradition you going for?
>>
>>47339792
no
>>
>>47338910
It's not an alteration. It's a temporary effect, that's totally obvious. It's no different from going back in time to before they changed. What you should really worry about is a Mage using temporal sympathy spend on a vampires maker before he changed that vampire. That would be a more permanent solution, wouldn't it?
>>
>>47338910
The supernatural backers in the ascension war focus on the actions of higher beings, ie. the actions of Archmages. Additionally, they only protect from an actual removal of the template, not a temporary effect like temporal summoning. Are you really so worried about an Acanthus turning your vampire into a human for a scene?
>>
any good bloodlines for a protean vampire? VtR. Gangrel and i have cruac/crone status, trying to look for a comprehensive guide to the bloodlines and im not finding much
>>
Why would anyone ever intentionally release a paradox? I could see it if you can't afford to take more damage but otherwise containing seems too have no real drawbacks.
>>
>>47340667

This is why I switched the spell penalty around; contained paradoxes always penalize your spellcasting roll, but released ones never do.

Fits with the
"ME AM PLAY GODS--WAIT NO, I REGRET THIS" vs. "ME AM PLAY GODS, GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY ELSE" dynamic of Mage.
>>
>>47340667
Resistant damage adds up, man.
>>
>>47342088
My storyteller doesn't think that's enough. He's considering treating zero successes on the wisdom roll as a released paradox. I'm finding it hard to disagree.
>>
>>47342197
That just sounds like over-complicating things.

Seriously, Resistant Damage is no joke by itself. It doesn't seem like much when you have to contain a paradox or two in separate scenes, but get into a tense situation where you're likely to get wounded in other ways and those extra unhealing Bashing checks suddenly get very, very dangerous.

I've had multiple players almost die from it in 1e, and from the looks of 2e Paradox is going to be more, not less, common.
>>
>>47342394
>>47342197
>>47340705
>>47340667
You're forgetting Paradox Conditions, which you take if you fail to fully contain a paradox, in addition to any Resistant Damage you take, too. And the ST has free reign to make his own. Tell your ST to just get creative with those.
>>
>>47342440
>You're forgetting Paradox Conditions, which you take if you fail to fully contain a paradox

You can get one for releasing a paradox too; since it only costs 1 success on the paradox roll, that's not really an argument in favor of releasing.
>>
>>47339917
Tradition? You seem to have me confused with an idiot.
Void Engineers. Boldly Go where no Technocrat's gone before.

or Taftani
>>
>>47331337
>there are two attempts at converting the Bene Ashmedai in the forums and both vary wildly. Any chance we see it converted anytime soon?
Man, already? I did one too.
>>
>>47343115
>>47331337
Pretty sure that one actually is getting an "official" version in a blog post.
>>
>>47334205
>and you haven't applied any spell factors
Isn't that something the Mage does when using the Attainment?
>>
>>47342797
for the record I'm probably running it so its really a question of what traditions/conventions/disparates they want to be.
But a forever GM can dream
>>
>>47343159
Nope. He decided to do up the Cryptologos instead.

Which sucks for me, I'm in a game with someone shooting for Bene Ashmedai.
>>
>>47343172
No, explicitly not.
Attainments are ALWAYS the exact same effect. If you want flexibility, you cast a spell, instead.
Read the actual information on how Attainments work before trying to design them yourself.
>>
>>47343321
>Optional: Matter 5. When the future she experiences comes due, the Querent may add or delete material objects (as per the spells “Ex Nihilo” or “Annihilate Matter” with combined factors equal to the lesser of the mage’s Time or Matter dots) from her person, or within sensory range. Instead of drowning, she happens to have a rebreather in her coat, or her enemy forgot his rifle’s ammunition. This cannot be used to create or delete magical items.
>>
I want to be a magical wereshark
>>
>>47343457
It's always ritual cast and sensory range. The factors are stuff like size or potency, not which table you're using (aka Reach).
>>
>>47343497
>(as per the spells “Ex Nihilo” or “Annihilate Matter” with combined factors equal to the lesser of the mage’s Time or Matter dots)
I was pointing out that the factors can be decided during the use of the Attainment.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.