[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Behavior at Table
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
File: Mr Rogers Wants You To Be.png (437 KB, 797x540) Image search: [Google]
Mr Rogers Wants You To Be.png
437 KB, 797x540
Does /tg/ have any interesting house rules that try to enforce civil behavior at the table or keep the game running relatively smoothly from a more meta standpoint? I know there are usually house rules for mechanics, but what about for standards of behavior or interaction?

Here's a list of the ones I usually end to use:
1. Don't worry about making sure to use the proper dice roller or to send pictures to me when you get a critical success or whatever equivalent there is for the system. If someone is really willing to cheat at a game with no win conditions and lie about pretending to be sitting around in someone's basement pretending to be elves and dwarves, no amount of hand-holding or looking over this person's shoulder will make playing with him or her any less insufferable.
2. There is a difference between telling people what's usually optimized or unoptimized and telling them what they can and can't play. If you try to cajole someone into changing a decision just "because it has better stats", your character loses a level to the wight on your back sucking the fun out of our game. Debate mechanics all day and night, but never tell someone what they are and are not allowed to play.
3. After characters have been created, the players will pass around character sheets and look specifically at the name. If the players can not, through collaboration, figure out how to pronounce the character's name, then the party gets to rename the character. Regardless of what it is, this will be the character's name for the rest of the campaign. Nobody wants to be in a party with someone whose name has 22 syllables, 11 consonants, 13 apostrophes, and no vowels.
4. "No Phones or Any Internet Connectivity" will not be enforced, but you are expected to pay attention. The moment someone starts to put on headphones or start playing an online game, he or she can turn in his or her character sheet and go home since he or she clearly isn't interested in what's going on at the table.
>>
I can't say I do, because no one I play with is socially retarded enough to cause any issues. We've had the occasional salt at the table over a ruling, but nothing disruptive came of it.
>>
>>47315767
>Does /tg/ have any interesting house rules that try to enforce civil behavior
What kind of shitty groups do you play with? Civil behavior shouldn't be enforced.

>List of rules
Aaaand I'm guessing you play D&D. There's a meme about not playing it, and I'm sure it would help you with your problems.
>>
>>47315767
>house rules for civil behaviou

Nope, because I generally try to only play with people I know are decent.
>>
>>47315841
Here is handy guide.
>>
>>47315841
>this is a D&D only problem, no other game ever has issues with players being idiotic dickheads
Confirmed for never having played any TTRPG.
>>
>>47315767
Play with people you're already friends with.
It's not hard, people.
>>
>>47316040
>playing with friends
Well, not all the times. People can surprise you sometimes. A friend of mine is a great guy, but the biggest min/maxer you could ever find.

Anoying
>>
>>47315973
>Paraphrasing
It's not about the dickheads, it's about games that don't dick you over with optimization.
>>
File: GMing in a Nutshell.jpg (49 KB, 443x500) Image search: [Google]
GMing in a Nutshell.jpg
49 KB, 443x500
>>47315767

Holy fuck are you running a game or a classroom? Like do you have these rules printed out or something and you make all your players read them?

Generally when I hang out with friends, the only expectation is "don't be a cock" and I usually don't have to tell people that.

Though there are times I consider telling players "you quote Monty Python, you put a dollar in the jar".
>>
>>47315767
No flannel at the table. I don't know why, but whenever my players show up wearing flannel or looking like lumberjacks my session goes terribly or the player is a big ass that night.
>>
>>47318788

>mfw half my wardrobe is flannel
>>
I have a friend who in most board games, when it isn't his turn, will start yelling "NOT MY TURN! NOT MY TURN!" In an effort to speed others along.

We hate it, so now we shout back at him "NOT MY TURD!" When he does it.
>>
File: 1389235428204.gif (1 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1389235428204.gif
1 MB, 480x270
>>47315767
>1
Never trust anyone without proof, especially in tabletops.

>2
>Never tell someone what they can or cannot play
That's the DMs job though, and if someone other than the DM says to not play something what limp-dicked pussy is going to listen to them?

>3
What are nicknames?

>4
No online games should be obvious, but sometimes the party splits up. Group A might be doing something for nearly 30 minutes before it gets back to Group B so to be upset over someone attempting to pass the time when they shouldnt know whats going on anyway is stupid.

4/4 fuck-up there OP.
>>
>>47315767

Just don't game with faggots. I'm getting too old to deal with stupid shit like that. My time for hobbies is already stretched thinner than I'd like with other social and work obligations so I just don't mince words or waste time.

Kick people out or just simply leave myself depending on the situation. It's not complicated.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.