[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
EDH/Commander general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 63
File: Tromokratis.jpg (45 KB, 298x431) Image search: [Google]
Tromokratis.jpg
45 KB, 298x431
Big Boss Blue edition

>RESOURCES

http://www.mtgcommander.net
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.

http://www.tappedout.net
>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh
>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.

http://www.edhrec.com/
>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.

http://manabasecrafter.com/
>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.

>CARD SEARCHING

http://gatherer.wizards.com/
>Official search site. Current for all sets.

http://www.magiccards.info
>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
>>
File: Toshiro Umezawa_BOK.jpg (69 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
Toshiro Umezawa_BOK.jpg
69 KB, 312x445
>>47315684
Let's see if we can get some more secret tech for this guy from last thread. So far I've got
Darkness
Imp's Mischief
Shred Memory
Also what are some good win conditions?
>>
File: Ertai's Meddling_TE.jpg (67 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
Ertai's Meddling_TE.jpg
67 KB, 312x445
So I'm thinking of building either Zedruu or Brion Stoutarm, trying to do it on the cheap, any ideas about deciding?

>Pic unrelated
>>
>>47315794
Brion is probably cheaper. A lot of the "fuck you" stuff for Zedruu can get expensive
>>
I'm thinking of making Darien as my next deck. Aside from soldier tribal and lifegain, what should I include for value white stuff?
>>
>>47315882
Yeah that's what I figured, even have a foil Brion somewhere around here
>>
>>47315770
>Also what are some good win conditions?
Hatred is the go-to answer for Toshi, I believe. Tainted Strike should also work.

I found him much better at duel Commander than multiplayer, so I dismantled him pretty quickly and don't have a whole lot of experience. I'll see if I can find my old list somewhere.
>>
File: 21.jpg (62 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
21.jpg
62 KB, 312x445
>>47316006
The white soul sisters.

Soul Warden, Soul's Attendant
>>
>>47315770
Cremate
Funeral Charm
Undying Evil
Tainted Pact
Skeletal Scrying
Reaping the Graves
Death Denied
Moonlight Bargain
Rescue From the Underworld

I built my deck as a self-mill Spirit tribal deck because I'm a faggot for flavor. Turns out self-mill isn't terrible - putting bot spirits and instants in the GY was good when some of them my guys had Soulshift. Cards like Millikin and Codex Shredder were helpful, and Mesmeric Orb does a ton of work all on its own.
>>
>>47315794
Any more art like this? I want to make a Prince tribute deck. How many characters vaguely look like Prince?
>>
File: 120b.jpg (53 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
120b.jpg
53 KB, 312x445
Will it be hypocritical of me to say that I hate Iona to an extent that I will never use her in any of my EDH decks, but meanwhile in my monoblack deck, I often combo Infernal Darkness/Contamination with this card?
>>
>>47316536
Yeah, obviously.
>>
What card do you want reprinted?
>>
>>47316860
Crucible or Life From The Loam.
>>
Sorry for a little Off topic, but I wanted to go back to playing online, yet I can't find full pictures of cards for MWS, Is there another program or a source of Full Pictures I can play with?
>>
File: auriok-champion.jpg (66 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
auriok-champion.jpg
66 KB, 480x680
>>47316006
>>47316232
Pic related too.
Price got a massive boost recently tho. Guess i should feel lucky i got two back in the day.
>>
>>47316536
Very
>>
>>47316536
Well at least you need to get all the cards for it to work.
>>
>>47316986
Contamination is pretty easy to keep active in most black decks, and Infernal Darkness buys you a few turns at the least. Hex Parasite is also great with cumulative upkeep cards like that, Glacial Chasm, Tombstone Stairwell, and Phyrexian Etchings.
>>
>tfw my 10/10 gf finished her new Avacyn cosplay last night and I am gonna suck her toes later while she wears it
>>
>>47316006
Intrepid Hero
Conversion
Crib Swap
Aurification
>>
File: darien staple.jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
darien staple.jpg
30 KB, 223x310
>>47316006
be sure to fit this puppy in
>>
>>47317452
you should dress up as sorin before you detroy her
>>
File: 1455768549253.png (58 KB, 381x332) Image search: [Google]
1455768549253.png
58 KB, 381x332
>>47317452
>feet fetishist
>>
>>47317704
>foot hater
you must be pretty insecure
>>
>>47317663
"no"
>>
File: 1436028305828.jpg (174 KB, 720x526) Image search: [Google]
1436028305828.jpg
174 KB, 720x526
>>47316006
Blasting Station
>>
>>47317929
For infinite suicide?
>>
Need secret sydri tech/advice. Never played artifacts before - how do I make it fun? But my understanding all artifacts do is combo. Is that true?
>>
>>47317890
Man, we're on /tg/. Of course i am.

I don't have any problem with feet. But foot fetish always felt pretty gross to me.
>>
File: Intet.jpg (278 KB, 756x1058) Image search: [Google]
Intet.jpg
278 KB, 756x1058
Need help with an Intet, the dreamer deck. I dont want to make a typical boring dragon tribal, im thinking along the lines of a janky control-combo decks, using such janktastic spells like Spelljack or Overwhelming Intellect. But also I want to use some powerful cards like Omniscience and Temporal Mastery (the latter has miracle so that's a plus) to hopefully cast an interesting combo.

I've included some scry to abuse Intet's ability.
>>
Post the best Magical Christmasland scenario you've ever pulled off

>Imprinting a Darksteel Juggernaut with Prototype Portal
>copying Portal with Kurkesh
>copying Kurkesh with Strionic Resonator
>Unwinding Clock out means 3 Juggernauts a turn
>ended up with 12 18/18 indestructible tramplers (Archetype of Aggression) by the time it came back around to me
>>
>>47318185
>winning a 4-player pod with Eight-and-a-Half-Tails
>>
>>47318052
>all artifacts do is combo
Well, there's not much reason to NOT run Arcum in the 99, but artifacts also do value well. I've seen a good Sydri deck which just plays big artifacts like Staff of Nin and Darksteel Forge and then smashes face by turning them into huge deathtouching lifelinking creatures.
>>
File: desecration demon.jpg (29 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
desecration demon.jpg
29 KB, 223x310
>describe your strengths and weaknesses as a magic player
>post one of your favorite cards
>other people hopefully suggest spicy cards that you would like

I'll start:

Strengths:
>I understand how the graveyard works and the general process for making sure my fragile boss creatures don't get instantly wiped
>I love cycle and engine cards that help me sift through my deck at a fairly good speed
>I know how to mana ramp efficiently and make sure my dorks/rocks stay alive

Weaknesses
>rarely ever have anything with life gain
>I struggle with the first three-four turns and fast tempo decks
>most of my removal is either mill or discard, so I have trouble getting pesky creatures off the field without using my own creatures

>Favorite Card
Oh I love this spicy motherfucker. Some people critique it by saying "Oh you'll never get to attack, it'll just stay tapped down." to which I respond, yes I know, that's the point. If it isn't tapped down I win, so my goal is to drop it early enough to make people cry as they need to choose carefully which one of their creatures is getting buried each turn. I like the war of attrition, flashy stuff is only if the situation is right.
>>
>>47317890
>not liking the most obnoxious fetishists in the known universe makes you ``insecure''
>>
File: Skullcrack.jpg (33 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Skullcrack.jpg
33 KB, 223x310
>>47318346

Strength
>Threat Management, I can easily tell when someone is about to combo a victory, or whose capable of actually winning a game given their board state

Weakness
>Salty as Fuck, and I let little things at the start of a match dictate the rest of the match
>I don't utilize instants well enough
Favorite Card
Too many to count, but pic related can really fuck people over and even end games on its own
>>
>>47318185
Oh I have one of these.

>corpsejack menace hanging out on the field for-fucking-ever, no +1/+1 counters to help it out
>eventually draw vulterous zombie, play it
>opponent starts to get wise, but he's all in for his voltron setup that's about three turns away while I chump block
>other opponents are too busy pinging and countering each other
>play traumatize the next turn
>equip blade of selves to vulterous aven
>everyone cries
>>
>>47318510
>insulting people for something private and completely unrelated to you implies a high self esteem
Next you tell me avoiding eye contact and stuttering are traits of confident people

>>47318118
>Man, we're on /tg/.
oops my bad. go on
>>
>>47318526
That's neat, I bet you run five alarm blaze very effectively.
>>
>>47317897
The shit you talkin?

Did you even read Darien? City of brass, Nomad Coliseum and Tarnished citadel are his best friends.
>>
>>47317897
why not? it's basically a land that says "tap: add one white mana to your mana pool and put a 1/1 white soldier creature token onto the battlefield"
the value is unreal!
>>
Is it worth running Urborg and Crypt Ghast in a BUG deck? I know to sideboard it out on anyone who plays black, but I don't know if the combo is more trouble than it's worth.
>>
>>47316536
no, now just play stuff you think is fun and are good.
>>
>>47318164
Here's my jank ass Intet deck. Note that I run too many creatures right now, and should probably cut Archaeomancer and Izzet Chronarch for Call to Mind and Mystic Retrieval. Also, no tutors is specifically to power the deck down for a casual playgroup, but Worldly and Mystical Tutors are great with Intet.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/intet-dragonstorm-2/
>>
>>47318185
>crack a fetch land on my turn
>in response, cycle a Decree of Annihilation
>an opponent casts Idyllic Tutor, obviously going for Land Tax
>counter with Pact of Negation
>all lands get destroyed
>fetch up a Plains and play a blue land
>next turn I pay the Pact cost because my opponent had an Extraplanar Lens naming Plains and I had a Mirari's Wake
>dredge up a Life from the Loam

On its own it didn't win me the game but the stars really aligned for me to destroy all lands and play Pact of Negation at the same time without losing.
>>
File: my group.png (3 MB, 1888x2432) Image search: [Google]
my group.png
3 MB, 1888x2432
post 'em
>>
>>47318510
furries tho, anon
>>
>>47318185
>>Playing fungus tribal vs. Prossh, Karador, and Narset
>>T1 Green Hideaway, tucking Concordant Crossroads
>>Drop Earthcraft T2
>>Gets around the table
>>Drop Vernal Bloom
>>Gets around the table
>>Mana Reflection, Parallel Lives
>>Gets around the fucking table
>>Nigga wat
>>Sprout Swarm to infinity
"Oh, neat, but you can't win. You're just playing on a lower level than-"
>>Hideaway reveals Crossroads
" . . . fuck."

Never in all my games have I ever seen threat assessment so poor. Who the fuck ignores Earthcraft, Mana Reflection, and Parallel Lives?
>>
Alrighty, I have tweaked this Mimeoplasm deck a lot since I last posted it here. I'm just wondering power-level wise, how does it compare to the precons? I'm going to be playing with some newer players, and as a new player myself, I want my deck to be neat, janky, but still challenging. I can change the lands around a lot with various dual lands I have hanging out.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mime-your-own-buisness/
>>
>>47315794
I built a Brion Stoutarm deck. Honestly? Buy the pre built R/W Giant tribe commander deck, a phyrexian processor, semblence anvil, and a mimic vat. Fairly cheap, and aside from a few other cards here and there it will have most of the cards you want anyway.
>>
>>47319296
>kingmaker
I'm fine with grouphug decks, but kingmaker are the fucking worst.
>>
>>47319626
don't forget serra avatar
>>
>>47318185
You can't actually make Darksteel Juggernauts with the copied portals.
>>
>>47319828
I'm dumb, didn't read. Disregard post, I suck cocks.
>>
>>47319837
>>47319828
You know you can delete posts right? Only complete sperglords really car about that jazz.
>>
>>47319675
I am actively begging him to turn it into a Gahiji deck.
>>
>>47318185
Go to combat and swing with a few dudes including my boy teferi, have leyline of anticipation and pyromancers goggles out.
in response to blockers(if any) flash my bribery at an opponent. In response to counter dragonrage, then reiterate dragon rage with goggles and buyback untill i have infinate red, copy bribery infinate times and steal every non land from my opponents decks, then firebreathing them for infinate damage. Any survivors wont be able to win.
>>
>playing casual R/G fatties against my friend's monowhite beatdown
>he gets Brimaz and Godsend, equips Godsend to and endlessly spawning series of tokens
>I cry myself to sleep while everything I own gets exiled
>>
>>47320354
>RG
>Having a problem with an artifact.
>>
>>47320354
You're in the two best colors to deal with artifacts?
>>
File: 235600.jpg (35 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
235600.jpg
35 KB, 223x310
>>47320399
>>47320398
Oh I learned my lesson. I thought if my fatties were stronk enough I could just ignore most things, but that was a big wake-up call. I now have some specific artifact hate.
>>
File: 193.jpg (77 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
193.jpg
77 KB, 312x445
>>47320458
Don't forget enchantments too. Fatties are fun, but nothing beats a deck rounded enough to handle whatever gets thrown at it.
>>
File: 1451772247417.jpg (72 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1451772247417.jpg
72 KB, 500x500
>>47319577
Shameful self bump. Anyone have any suggestions?
>>
I got the Gitgud frog in a draft and was wondering if it would be worth including in the 99 of my Jarad deck (I really don't want to change the commander).
I'd need to add some more stuff that synergizes with the monster, but I used to run Harrow and Realms Uncharted anyway, and Crop Rotation to find Coffers/Urborg has been something I've been thinking of making room for.
Current list:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jarad-is-a-zombie-elf-with-no-class/
>>
>>47319577
Little wonky, but I would cut Jin and the Phyrexian hydra. It'll piss people off even if the rest of the deck is janky.
>>
>>47313490
Super fun for more aggressive reanimation deck, though depending on the group power level, he may not want to include the Master of Crueties/ebon night blade/raving dead. I might have to remove atleast the master.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/alesha-all-smiles/

Here is my build

>>47318185
Having a sitronic resonator, illusionist's bracers, doubling season, primal vigor, and parallel lives on rith is always fun. Also, the turn 3 Alesha kill with Master of Crueties made me feel kinda bad
>>
>>47320733
>in the deckbuilder sim I had an opening hand that was a swamp, burried alive, a forest, an island and sol ring
That's perfectly reasonable Jin and the hydra were some of my main targets to dump into the graveyard, thanks for the suggestion. Power-level wise, how do you think it's going to fair? I don't really want to blow people out, but I generally want to be competitive.
>>
>>47320820
Hard to say. A lot of strange decisions. I would advise looking at similar decks to decide on ratios of such things as mana dorks, reanimator, fatties, Wraths and single target removal.
>>
>>47321073
Fair enough, other setups seem to be pretty expensive with snapcasters duplication and the like. In general, what are some of the strangest decisions? The lands are fucked, and I have a crush on Deep-sea kraken, but the idea was to play based off the strength of my opponents deck and hope my commander can pull off the occasional "oops I won". I'll post the first version so you can see how things have improved, if you're interested. This is also my first three colour deck, and I think I really just wanted to make a two colour deck with The Mimeoplasm as my commander.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/oh-me-oh-mime/
>>
>>47321163
I don't understand the following cards in your deck:

Blood soaked Champion
Reef Worm
Scourge of Nel Toth
Scute Mob
Spore Frog

They don't seem to synergize with your deck and Mimeo at all. You have a lot of mana dorks, the deck has 38 lands, but very little fatties. There are a lot of very weak mill cards in the deck, such as Tome Scour.

You have close to 0 targeted removal and about 1.5 Wraths. Even cheap simple cards like Putrefy or Gaze of Granite can help a lot.
>>
>>47321315
Oh that's awesome, thank you so much. I admit it, those are all pet cards I put in there because I thought they were neat, apart from Scute mob, which works nicely with the corpseja-

>tfw I forgot to include corpsejack menace

FUCK.

Anyways, I actually have quite a few wraths and targeted removal which I can splash in there. Would it be better to remove some of the mill and focus more on targeted discard like duress/distress? I think I fell in love with the idea of milling something nice that my opponent has, which probably isn't very practical.
>>
File: Ob-Nixilis-Unshackled1.jpg (371 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
Ob-Nixilis-Unshackled1.jpg
371 KB, 700x525
Thinking about making a deck for this guy. Other than Maralen and Ghost Quarter, what's some good tech for him?
>>
>>47321421

Grave pact and dictate of erebos
>>
>>47321416
Good creatures will end up in graveyards without you needing to mill, creatures die after all. A few mill cards here and there might be fun, but generally, milling an opponent for your own gain isn't very practical in EDH as they are likely to have cards to get advantage off of their graveyard first. Most mill decks use things like Leyline of the Void to stop this, but that's not what you want.

Something like Hypnotic Specter could be fun for binning a creature of theirs, but it really isn't necessary. But something like Nath could be a fun enabler if you go with discard as a secondary sub theme.
>>
>>47320035
What spell were you buying back? How were you copying Bribery? How were you stealing nonland, noncreature permanents from libraries with Bribery?
>>
>>47321659
>Hypnotic Specter
Amazing, that's exactly what I wanted in there in the first place.

>Nath
Okay I see what you're doing.

How do you feel about self-mill in general? I realized most of the stuff in the deck was designed to hit myself, with the thought/tome scours. I can probably cut curse of the bloody tome right away and leave the few hand-based mill cards that I already have because they accomplish both self mill and discard.
>>
>>47321733
Self mill is fine, but most of the mill you had in your deck didn't suit that purpose very well. Memory Erosion and Mind Grind don't hit you, Sphinx's Tutelage, Talent of the Telepath, Mind Funeral can't target you.

Discard outlets are a good idea, especially with things like Vengeful Pharaoh. I recommend something like Necromancer's Stockpile. As for self mill, your best bet are cards that provide repeatable and useful selfmill like Sultai Ascendancy, Deadbridge Chant, Nyx Weaver, Splinterfright.
>>
>>47321865
>deadbridge chant
>sultai ascendancy
I actually have both of those cards, I'll go put them in right now. You've given me a lot to think about, I really appreciate it. In a week or so I might post an updated decklist that's a little bit more viable. For tonight's purposes, I think I'll fair pretty well unless there is a sneaky spike at the table, and if there is, I'll just swap to good ol' xenagos beatdown.
>>
>>47316536
Super hyprocritical
>>
>>47316536

ehhh, youre right on the edge there

nothing wrong with personally avoiding certain cards but as soon as you start berating somebody else for playing Iona, its over, youre officially a shit eating fag

contamination is simply a more powerful card than iona so if youre gonna be a spike, then you cant be a faggot casual at the same time
>>
File: META.png (4 MB, 2484x1430) Image search: [Google]
META.png
4 MB, 2484x1430
>>47319296
playgroup looks pretty good, now I'm really interested in building a nemata deck
>>
>>47318266

psshh i do that all the time
>>
File: shun.jpg (27 KB, 338x221) Image search: [Google]
shun.jpg
27 KB, 338x221
>>47318645
You forgot this guy
>>
File: the meta.png (2 MB, 1726x1254) Image search: [Google]
the meta.png
2 MB, 1726x1254
>>47319296
>>
File: Shush.jpg (35 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Shush.jpg
35 KB, 223x310
post your secret tech
>>
>>47318526

strenghts
>card evaluation
>rules knowledge
>knowing when i need to leave up instant speed interaction

weaknesses
>strategic tunnel vision, once i get on a plan i sometimes make foolish misplays because i wasnt considering all possible lines of play
>occasionally get caught in the trap of playing things too early for the purpose of spending mana efficiently
>too high/drunk
>>
>>47322114
I run Loaming Shaman.
>>
>>47322169
>too high

holy shit 4 player EDH games while high. too many cards on the field, so many effects to worry about
>>
File: Ruric Thar, Gaper of Anuses.jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Ruric Thar, Gaper of Anuses.jpg
30 KB, 223x310
>>47322114
That's a pretty spicy tech right there. Is it particularly expensive? I like this guy personally.
>>
>>47319109

idk

i have urborg cabal coffers in my grixis deck, no land tutors, just demonic tutor, sidisi, rune scarred demon

but ive been very pleased with the decision, my deck focuses on black mostly and the ramp it provides is always amazing even if i cant get it consistently every game

im waiting for cabal coffers to shit all over one of my opening hands and make me regret its include but that hasnt happened quite yet

i think crypt ghast has a slightly higher value floor than cabal coffers though so maybe you have even less risk
>>
>>47321421
Maralen is the dankness with him since it forces a search
>>
>>47321712
Reiterate? I never let the stack clear. guess they could have played enchanments and rocks but they scooped up when I went infinate, it was a couple months ago and i dont use bribery anymore, had to look up that its only creatures again.
>>
>>47319153

pretty awesome play

i hate pact of negation with all my heart but thats a stylish way to use it
>>
File: standstill.jpg (29 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
standstill.jpg
29 KB, 223x310
>>47318346
Strengths:
>I tend to see several paths to victory and can consistently maneuver my way to victory without drawing much attention to myself
>I'm pretty good at identifying threats and keeping the game at parity
>I'm pretty good at playing around cards in my opponent's decks

Weaknesses:
>I tend to deal a little too much damage to myself and can often die to big burn spells
>I undervalue the power of just attacking with creatures.
>I always end up countering everyone's best cards which often puts a target on my head

>Favorite Card
I love standstill because it allows me to do nothing and still win
>>
File: smug.jpg (112 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
112 KB, 1280x720
>>47322236

definitely

we had this fucked up attitude going around in my playgroup for awhile that as long as the player who owns an effect doesnt realize its been violated, then no violation occurred, so people were not bothering to even look at other people's effects before playing cards and then getting both butthurt when you remind them and also trying to say they get to do illegal shit since you werent paying attention when they ignored one of your effects

i.e. one time i had a gaddock teeg and aven mindcensor out, and my friend casts skyshroud claim while i was drinking and joking with another person at the table

he starts rifling through his deck and im like yooo, only the top 4 (not knowing what spell it was), and hes like fuck that dude pay attention to the board

>mfw

and then somebody else points out that he cant even cast skyshroud claim and i lol

thankfully ive won people over to my side and we all accept shared responsibility for keeping track of the board state
>>
Ask a guy who hasn't gotten any pussy in almost a year but just finished building his first commander deck anything.
>>
>>47322420
What colours?

Who's your best fatty?
>>
>>47322114
Mindbreak trap
>>
>>47322420
Who's your commander?
>>
>>47322242

vexing shusher is like $7 last time i checked
>>
>>47322393
shared responsibility is the best for keeping a group together.

Any multiplayer EDH game without constant field wipes can get to a point where triggers are fucking everywhere.

hard to keep track of everything 100% of the time.
>>
>>47322437
>>47322481

Meren of Clan Nel Toth.

Best fatty is probably Terastodon.
>>
>>47322420
You don't need to brag.
>>
File: Image.jpg (32 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
32 KB, 223x310
What are some creative builds for Edric?
>>
File: Oh god, not him, anyone but him.png (138 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Oh god, not him, anyone but him.png
138 KB, 223x311
>>47322538
I don't think you built that deck, I think it comes built that way. Anyways Terastodon is very good, but I don't even think he's in the top three best fatties in the deck.
>>
>>47322570
define creative
>>
>>47322570

only put cards that dont synergize with edric in the deck

its a totally unique plan nobody's done it before it will be awesome youll get so much special snowflake rep
>>
>>47322592
Mycoloth and Bloodspore Thrinax are my OTP
>>
>>47322592

Oh also I forgot to ask, what do you guys do for tokens? My deck has like 5 or 6 different kinds of tokens it can make. Should i just take a sharpie to the back and front of a bunch of old islands I have?

I haven't played mtg in almost a decade.
>>
>>47322538
>Terastodon
I've never seen this card work for anyone that uses it. It's win more.
>>
>>47322673

5 or 6 is kind of a lot so you may want to print something out

alternatively you can go to your LGS and ask about token cards, they usually have a good selection and only weird unique tokens cost more than a dollar

or if you test the deck and find that you rarely have a bunch of different kinds of tokens in play, its not difficult to just use dice and remember what kind of token they are
>>
File: pathbreaker fuck-your-shit.jpg (12 KB, 178x248) Image search: [Google]
pathbreaker fuck-your-shit.jpg
12 KB, 178x248
>>47322639
You're forgetting my personal favorite.

>>47322673
That works fine if you don't want to print them off the internet. I usually use different shapes and types of dice. Very rarely do I wind up in a situation a d6, a d20 and a couple d4s cant fix.
>>
>>47322688
I don't understand how a reanimatable creature that does 3 bramblecrushes is win more.
>>
>>47322688
>terastodon is win more
haha fuck edh players always make me laugh
>>
>>47322673
Tokens are like 25 cents each here, so I tend to just buy 2 tokens of each token my deck can create (with the exception of 8 snake tokens for seed the land).
>>
>>47322673
Game stores sell official tokens on the cheap and some sites give them away for free.
>>
>>47322724

if the spell costs more than 5 mana thats win more

you should be winning on turn 5 every game you filthy casuals
>>
>>47322802
>if the spell costs more than 5 mana thats win more

>you should be winning on turn 5 every game you filthy casuals

What are you going on about? Yes, it is an expensive spell, and yes expensive spells should end the game, but what is mana-ramp/cheating out cards? It sounds to me that you're a casual and you're projecting.
>>
>>47322724
Thanks for all the free elephants! :^)
>>
>>47322829

no way bro, uber spike here

mana ramp is winmore

i win with only 1 mana spells
>>
File: 56[1].jpg (62 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
56[1].jpg
62 KB, 312x445
Looking for some replacements for my MBC list.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/chainer-dementia-master-of-dementia/

Ob Nixilis Reignited is on the chopping block. I'm also looking for a couple of more techy lands.
>>
File: 1461199299236.jpg (63 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1461199299236.jpg
63 KB, 625x626
>>47322853
Come on anon, there are like 5 cards that good. Pic related is what real men use.
>>
>>47322593
Creative: More interesting than the horde of 1/1 unblockables that edhrec recommends.
>>
>>47322870
>techy lands

Put a Volrath's Stronghold in that bitch.
>>
>>47322843
>Thanks for all the free elephants! :^)

In a Meren deck with a bunch of gravepact like cards they get removed anyways.
>>
>>47322922

>im going to pick a commander that does one thing really well
>but i absolutely refuse to do that thing

why would you play edric if you dont want to play cards that synergize with edric, i.e. evasive little dudes
>>
>>47322943
>>47322843
>destroying the other person's lands
Wut?
>>
>>47322870
>Utility Lands
I'm always the first to suggest Tower of the Magistrate, Crypt of Agadeem could be good, High Market to save creatures from being exiled, Maze of Ith, Vesuva
>>
>>47322962
Sure, I'll have a few, but I feel like Edric has potential for great political plays, and I don't know how to do it.
>>
>>47323038

>build my deck for me
>but dont make it too good

okay i think you should go full group hug, heartbeat of spring type effects, using edric to give everybody card draw etc
>>
>>47322999
>destroying your own lands
Haha, fuck yes, this is why I always keep a boardwipe in hand. Based Red. It might not have the best wipes, but it certainly has the most.
>>
>>47322925
I was thinking about it but with a reanimator general I'm not sure it's worth the $30. I'd rather spend that money on a Phyrexian Tower.

>>47323009
Crypt and Vesuva I tried and was unsatisfied with. I don't see a ton of voltron so the main equipments I see are Boots/Greaves so Magistrate is out. High Market is an option since sac outlets are great in Chainer, I'll give it a shot.

Was thinking of replacing Ob Nix with Grave Pact since it provides a lot of devotion but I think the creature removal is winmore with all the removal I run.
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/turning-the-heat-up-with-ashling/

Anyone help out with my Ashling deck please?
>>
>>47323336
I have nothing to say other then

A+++
Not Ashling and 99 lands
>>
File: nim-deathmantle.jpg (62 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
nim-deathmantle.jpg
62 KB, 480x680
>>47318346
>Strengths
Fun-having
>Weaknesses
Pretty much everything, I would get torn to shreds in anything more competitive than my friendly group. I play my shit and sometimes I win

>Pet card
This fella
>>
>>47322673
I like using acetone to remove the ink from bulk foils. Then apply a sharpie and you can have cute foily tokens
>>
File: playgrupp.png (3 MB, 1972x1582) Image search: [Google]
playgrupp.png
3 MB, 1972x1582
>>47319296
Not sure what to play tomorrow. Was leaning toward Skullbriar, but I'm tempted to sleeve up meme frog or Xenagos
>>
>>47323692

>stripping your foils just to ruin them with ugly sharpie writing

so fucking confused, sharpie proxies are never a good idea, let alone foil sharpie proxies
>>
>>47323842
These are garbage foils like lens of clarity, not good cards.

I just like making cartoony drawings for mine.

And you can remove the sharpie with more acetone if you fucked up.
>>
>>47323887

i wasnt worried about the foils you were destroying, i have a million worthless foil commons

i thought you were just writing words in sharpie on foils, and i thought that seemed hella retarded

drawing pictures is completely different, i suppsoe sharpie actually makes sense since its hard to write on foils and make it stick
>>
>>47323922
all the text and art on the card is removed in the process too

Just shiny metalic surface, be careful about the glare.
>>
File: Rakdos Charm.jpg (33 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Rakdos Charm.jpg
33 KB, 223x310
>>47318346
Sure. I'll bite:

Strengths:
>Not a very vocal player, but does participate in politics. Often the speaker of common sense when it comes to threat assessment.
>At the same time, I keep things low profile when it comes to generals.
>Very aware of when to commit, and knows who to keep alive so they can use their resources rather than myself when fighting the Archenemy
>Always holding a trick up my sleeve, even for ten turns straight without using it.

Weaknesses:
>Deck construction tends to favor janky synergy between cards, but rarely good stuff.
>My politics are not perfect. While I tend to use the argument of "For everyone's sake" or "The problem is right there.", people aren't always convinced.
>Often annoyed when games drag out for too long. I'm fine with Armageddon effects so long as the person casting them already has an establishing lead even if it takes them 5 more turns to sweep the table. I'm not fine with a super hug-box table that is so passive that it feels like a multiplayer solitaire match.

Favorite Card:
This card is why I my Zurgo deck. Along with Batwing Brume and Deflecting Palm, this card punishes over-extension, is always handy when it comes down to me and one last person, and is a giant "fuck you" to the guy with a boat ton of goblins.
>>
>>47318000
you should reconsider your commander choice
>>
>>47322570
I once brainstormed an Edric deck with someone on /tg/ that was based on giving opponents creatures evasion and incentivizing them to attack each other. Evasion enablers included Predator Flagship, Power Matrix, Phyrexian Splicer, Flying Carpet, Wind Dancer, Zephyr Charge, Vow of Flight, Hunted Troll. To not be attacked by the opponents flyers, I came up with Arbor Colissus, Oran-Rief Recluse, whirlwind, Deadly Recluse, Thornweald Archer, Propaganda, Dissipation Field. Archetype of Imagination when you don't feel like playing nice anymore. You can co profit from your opponents drawing cards with things like Consecrated Sphinx, Windfall, Recurring Insight(the best card draw spell according to /tg/!) and Jace's Archivist.
Basically you're playing arms dealer and making your opponents attack each other for ultimately your profit. Some of those curse auras might also be incentives for people to attack each other, but I can't recall any right now.
>>
>>47323735
fuck you too
>>
File: 123.jpg (69 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
123.jpg
69 KB, 312x445
>>47321969
While Contamination is better for the most part, isn't Infernal Darkness better since Contamination locks everyone including the mono-black player to have their Cabal Coffers or something similar to produce more mana?
>>
>>47324749
I may be misunderstanding you, but Coffers produces just B with Contamination on the field.
>>
>>47324749
I meant with >>47316536 Eon Hub in the field.
>>
>>47324796
since Contamination locks everyone including the mono-black player to prevent them from having more mana from Cabal Coffers or something similar?

Big huge typo. My bad.
>>
>>47324749

As far as I know the only diff between conyamination and infernal darkness is the upkeep costs, cumulative vs normal

The effect has the same oracle wording
>>
>>47324934

Never mind disregard

Infernal dark specifically doesn't mention amount of mana so gaea's cradle makes multiple black and cabal coffers still works
>>
Who is the best commander to use if I want to smash face?
>>
>>47324818
It's all good, typos happen. Just wanted to make sure you had the rules correct.
>>
>>47325149

Maelstrom wanderer or xenagod for many fatties smashing

Uril/rafiq for single Fattie smash

Krenko/Rhys for token smash
>>
>>47325276
No Sedris for many fatties?
>>
>>47325345

Sedris isn't bad by any means, he didn't come to mind initially because I think he's actually more versatile than a typical Fattie commander but I think upon reflection id put him up there with Xenagod
>>
>>47325371

Also I'm sure there's other commanders on the same level or a little higher than the ones i mentioned, they just didn't come to mind or they have other things they can do, prossh for instance is the best token commander, but the best prossh decks don't even bother swinging so I didn't list him
>>
File: Ugin, the Spirit Dragon.jpg (73 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
Ugin, the Spirit Dragon.jpg
73 KB, 312x445
>>47318526
Strengths
>Politics: I know how to play a table.
>Deckbuilding: I tend to try and build decks that are both fun and can win.
Weakenesses
>Boardstate awareness, often times my decks are a bit rube-goldberg-y and I have a tendency to not be aware of what other people are doing on the board
>Salty as fuck: I let things that happen early in the game or in the previous game affect my threat assessment in new games
Favorite Card: This niggah right here, is my favorite.
>>
>>47325825
francis get out
>>
File: en_fnmko6d7fe.png (183 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
en_fnmko6d7fe.png
183 KB, 265x370
>>47318346

Strengths:
>I consider myself to have pretty good threat assessment.
>Think I've finally developed pretty strong deckbuilding skills.

Weaknesses:
>I tutor players to make optimized plays. This will lead to me losing fairly often, but whatever I'd rather have a challenging more engaging game.
>Impatient. I know I should wait till the other players blow their loads trying to fuck each other before I make any splashy plays but I enjoy slapping cards onto the table too much.

Favorite Card:
I don't even have a deck with him in it but he is seriously making me consider building Zedruu.
>>
>>47317208
Tombstone Stairwell is nuts with Eldrazi Monument.
>>
File: 1339814670.jpg (245 KB, 1080x981) Image search: [Google]
1339814670.jpg
245 KB, 1080x981
>want to play EDH this weekend
>have way too much shit to do
FUCK
>>
>>47326504
Those are two perfect additions for my Ayli deck, thank you. Can't believe I missed it before.

Great flavor too.
>>
>>47318645
So you just draw a bunch of cards?
>>
>>47319153
Extraplanar lens gives only extra mana for lands with the same name, not type. So, you have to tap a basic plains to get the mana out of it.
Even if it worked, you'd still get only 3 mana out of it, and pact costs 5.
>>
File: Bloodchief Ascension.full.jpg (47 KB, 240x340) Image search: [Google]
Bloodchief Ascension.full.jpg
47 KB, 240x340
>>47322114
It's not really a win-con, but it's fantastic for keeping me in the game, especially when I'm forcing all my opponents to sacrifice cards left, right and centre.

Though on the odd occasion, I have had it out when a friend popped his Mindcrank. That was a comedy routine when we announced turn 4 that everyone else had lost.
>>
File: rakdos_lord_of_derp.png (717 KB, 819x575) Image search: [Google]
rakdos_lord_of_derp.png
717 KB, 819x575
Do any other commanders suffer from "rakdos syndrome"?
>>
>>47319511
Jesus Christ that's fantastic

How much fucking mana were you making with each tap?
>>
>>47326510
I know that feel.
>>
>>47326798
Phage
>>
>>47322870
Diamond Valley is pretty good
>>
>>47326719
>Extraplanar lens gives only extra mana for lands with the same name, not type
Yeah, we knew, I said I grabbed a Plains and played a blue land right? This was during my main phase.

Actually, speaking of which, I did make a typo: it wasn't Idyllic Tutor my opponent played, it was Enlightened Tutor.

I forget which land the blue source was but I only run 2 of each basic in that deck so it probably wasn't an Island.
>>
File: Yasova_Dragonclaw.jpg (172 KB, 1024x688) Image search: [Google]
Yasova_Dragonclaw.jpg
172 KB, 1024x688
What's some secret tech for Yasova? I really need some sweet shit to put in there, like some cool win-cons and whatnot. I don't want it to just be half-voltron/half-theft deck. I don't mind some of that, that's why I want her as a commander, but I need some razzle-dazzle.
>>
>>47326798
What exactly do you mean by that and the image?
>>
File: cauldron-of-souls.jpg (62 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
cauldron-of-souls.jpg
62 KB, 480x680
>>47318346
Strengths: Good banter/jokes, capable of making good/interesting plays, experiment with my deck often.

Weaknesses: I conform to group politics too much. I don't do much to prevent stagnation in some of my games. Don't always play my best.

Pet card: I try not to run many counters, but this baby keeps me wrath-proof. Also hysterical with Willbreaker.
>>
>>47327098
Oh, I was under the assumption that you played the fetch and got a shock, my bad.
>>
>>47327103
I only just realized how muscular Yasova is supposed to be under those furs. I don't have any crazy recommendations outside of the obvious. Temur Sabertooth would be a cool addition I think. Stuff like Craterhoof and Pathbreaker Ibex do a little extra since they'll let you take anything on the board. Commander damage still counts from stolen commanders so be on the lookout for unprepared voltron players who can't block their own commander.
>>
There's a Google doc out there that shows what happens if a Precursor Golem gets hit with a kicked Rite of Replication 3 times. It makes an absolutely obscene amount of Golems (that all die to a Bolt, but that's beside the point). I have a question: Does that Rite need to resolve each time to get the exponentially huge amount of Golems, or can it get hit with Replicate stuff when it's on the stack?

Here's the doc for those smarter than me:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1L_FIQrjBdh5J66KKAT2JJ2gTx1KfbXJUfXrdydjzhrY/edit
>>
Changed up a few things, r8 and h8.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-05-16-tasigur-the-golden-fang-edh/
>>
>>47327104
People try to "build around" rakdos and end up filling their deck with air and bad theorycraft cards that make the deck feel shitty in practice instead of building to the commander's strengths.

Rakdos is the only commander I've personally seen suffer from this, and that's why I call it rakdos syndrome, but are there other sufferers?
>>
>>47322083
Is black me? Because damn those are both decks I already have and ones I want to build.
>>
>>47327441
Oh I see what you mean, my bad. Yeah build around me syndrome is some rough shit. Norin is similar, people are so excited he has uses that they forget to build a deck that works without him on the field.
>>
Hey guys, rate muh di- deck.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/thassa-sea-beasties-1/
>>
>>47318185
Probably the time I played my Godo deck in 2HG with a random Zurgo player on my team against flip Nissa and Thalia

Absolutely perfect opening hands, we went maximum schoolyard bully on them
>>
>>47318185
>T1 Sol Ring
>T2 Aggravated Assault
>T3 Xenagod (my Commander)
>T4 Savage Ventmaw

Thank you, based Sol Ring. You in no way warp games.
>>
File: armageddon.jpg (34 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
armageddon.jpg
34 KB, 223x310
Haven't been in these threads for a couple months, anything new? Did SoI shake things up a bit?
>>
>>47326114
>not running him in Yasova
Draw 4 cards my nigga
>>
File: Ya.jpg (270 KB, 1173x1389) Image search: [Google]
Ya.jpg
270 KB, 1173x1389
>>47327846
>Savage Ventmaw+Xenagod
I really should get Xena for my Mina&Denn deck.

>>47327876
Gitrog Monster is apparently a really good commander.
>>
>>47327889
I like it.
>>
>>47327897
>Gitrog Monster is apparently a really good commander.
I certainly hope that didn't take anyone by surprise.
>>
>>47318185
>>47327846
>T1 Sol Ring, Gruul Signet
>T2 Xenagod
>T3 Malignus, ded opponent

I agree, Sol Ring is so balanced.
>>
Are Sol Ring arguments still as common as before?
>>
I'm looking to convert my Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord deck into a Kresh, the Bloodbraided deck. Would it be worth it to get the Jund 2013 precon for $20? Also, do you guys have any recommendations for cards I should get?
>>
>>47327921
It did. Tons of people were shittalking him in this thread for some ungodly reason.
>>
>>47328005
No, it's just a meme pushed by retards at this point.
>>
>>47328045
Surely you jest. I have no interest in playing that fucking frog but BUG value.dek was always powerful and this is like the best thing they got since Tasigur. Well, better than Tasigur imo, outside of very competitive (or French) environments.
>>
>>47318645
Copying Vulturous Zombie does not copy the +1/+1 counters on it. So you'd swing one huge zombie and the rest would be 3/3.
>>
>>47328097
True, non-retards know Sol Ring is a balanced Magic card.
>>
>>47318185
>T1 Sol Ring
>T2 Smokestack
>T3 tutor for Bitterblossom
>>
>>47327939
colorless mana is balanced
Signet op, should be banned
>>
>>47328183

No no no no
>>
>>47318185
>t1 mana vault
>t2 dream halls
>c-sphinx
>niv-mizzet
>time spiral
Everyone died
>>
>>47318185
T1: Land, Sol Ring, Signet.
T2: Land Rikku
T3: Land Unexpected results (copied). Copy hits enter the infinite. Put omniscience on top. Non-copy then hit omniscience. Play whole deck.
>>
>>47327939
you forgot chandra's ignition
>>
File: Commanders.png (962 KB, 1351x383) Image search: [Google]
Commanders.png
962 KB, 1351x383
Tell me /tg/, what am I?
>Mostly plays on cockatrice
>Only has first deck in paper, though the deck doesn't resemble the precon at all at this point.
>>
>>47320801
I'm pretty sure Rith is a triggered ability, so Illusionist's bracers wouldn't do anything.
>>
>>47318185
>island, sol ring, izzet signet
>mountain, mana vault, jhoira, suspend enter the infinite and omniscience
>topdeck paradox haze next turn
>>
>>47328252
>all cards that should be banned
Sol Ring isn't the issue here, it only makes mana and no one ever killed their opponent with mana. The issue is you're playing with degenerate cards and you're basically a cheater. It's like complaining about islands because Ancestral Recall is too strong.
>>
>>47328341
>implying Niv Mizzet is OP
>Sol Ring isn't the issue here, it only makes mana and no one ever killed their opponent with mana.
These are things someone said.
>>
>>47328354
Niv-Mizzet just screams "I am a combo player" and combos are banned in any EDH group worth a damn. Those groups don't have any issues with Sol Ring or Mana Vault. It's like mana isn't actually the problem here!
>>
>>47328322
Jesus Christ

All the Eldrazi Processors in the world wouldn't help me there
>>
>>47322570
Creatureless.
>>
>>47328388
Every sentence you wrote in this post is wrong and that is impressive.
>>
I traded my foil Yasova Dragonclaw for like 3 things I needed, but I still feel dirty about letting her go. I could never find a place for her, but I didn't think I'd miss her this much.
>>
>>47328407
>ure wrong because i say so :^)
nice argument there, buttmad combo player
>>
>>47328388
Sol ring is banned in any EDH group worth a damn. Those groups don't have any issue with niv mizzet. It's like the problem isn't 6 mana easily killed combo pieces.

No one ever killed their opponent without mana.

(I don't have a horse in this retarded race. I'm just joining your shitposting for the sake of shitposting.)
>>
>>47328441

That's your argument too, combos aren't banned in normal edh so you're the one who has to defend why they should be banned
>>
>>47328490
They're softbanned, read up on EDH once in a while. Not that there needs to be an official rule about that, only faggots play combos in a social game and said faggots very quickly find themselves with no one to play with.
>>
>>47328580
>badwrongfun
Sure, pal.
>>
File: 100.jpg (105 KB, 739x742) Image search: [Google]
100.jpg
105 KB, 739x742
>>47328597
>>
>>47328580

Our playgroup, and every playgroup I've ever played wth, has used combos, many of which went from no combos to combos, graduating so to speak

It's a way to ensure games go quicker and makes the midgame quite exciting, you have to balance disruption with aggression
>>
File: n8umjWj[1].png (3 KB, 698x1284) Image search: [Google]
n8umjWj[1].png
3 KB, 698x1284
>>47328625
>>
>>47328664
I'm not the one baiting, it's just so obviously b8 you shouldn't be replying to it
>>
>>47328580
I personally hate 6 hour games but whatever, as long as you can find people who agree to play with you.
>>
>>47328636
I am admittedly not that guy, but I don't get how combos somehow magically make the game better.

Games don't NEED to go quicker, I have never felt "Oh man, this EDH game sure isn't fun, I sure hope that someone combos out next turn".

I already have to run disruption. Me saving removal for Pestermite+Kikki instead of something that generates gradual advantage isn't "more exciting" to me.
>>
>>47328679
I'm bored and at work. Arguing with retards on /tg/ makes the time go by faster. I like to see how bad bait can really be.
>>
>>47328770
All right, enjoy the shitposting then
>>
>>47328770
"It is played in a variety of ways, depending on player preference, but a common vision ties together the global community to help them enjoy a different kind of magic. That vision is predicated on a social contract: a gentleman's agreement which goes beyond these rules to includes a degree of interactivity between players. Players should aim to interact both during the game and before it begins, discussing with other players what they expect/want from the game.

House rules or "fair play" exceptions are always encouraged if they result in more fun for the local community."

Argue with me then. Why is it that so many players scoff at the idea of house rules and bans, given how it goes directly against the philosophy of EDH as stated on their website?

I would be completely willing to have a playgroup that genuinely banned infinite combos or hard lock, for example. I don't feel I would be out of line either.
>>
>>47328758
That's an interesting choice, though. You act like the correct play is to always hold back for the infinite combo, but there are (probably) three other players that can respond to someone going infinite. Maybe it's worth the risk to deny the value engine to someone so they don't run away with the game while you're holding on to effectively dead cards.
>>
>>47328758

Well each playgroup I've been in has at some point evolved to where the amount of board wipes and answers a 4-5 man pod can unleash on whoever is in first place can drag out the game almost indefinitely. Especially if mass land destruction is involved in the resets

I have absolutely found myself wanting somebody to get over the hump and end the game

Not that the game wasn't fun, but eventually I start craving resolution, especially if it doesn't look like I can win
>>
What is it that you guys like best about the Commander format?

For me it's how I remember magic. When I first started playing when I was like 12 you'd just get some friends together and play some fucking magic. The decks were whatever theme deck you bought and whatever cards you had from packs or your older brothers collection to add in. Most of us just had that one copy of that one card we thought was dope, even though it probably wasn't that great. Nobody built try hard win decks with playsets of Wastelands and shit. It was a funner time, it was a simpler time. It's the way mtg was meant to be played.
>>
File: telekinesis.jpg (69 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
telekinesis.jpg
69 KB, 312x445
Poor Tromokratis. Gets a shot at being OP, no one shows him any love.

Been working the past month on my deck, been a lot of fun getting the pieces, but it's a pain narrowing the list down to 99. I don't want to go all out Stax and guarantee I can't be allowed to win with it more than once without being hated off the board forever, can't make it too gimmicky and fragile that it gets stomped all over easily. How do the rest of you with regular playgroups handle these kinds of decisions?

Also, I love this card in the deck.
>>
>>47328876

What I like about it is the size of the decks

In modern or legacy or standard if your deck is tuned, you probably only have like 10-15 unique nonland cards, you just don't have as much room to put in wonky cards and try out fun stuff
>>
>>47328794
I always do.

>>47328815
>Why is it that so many players scoff at the idea of house rules and bans, given how it goes directly against the philosophy of EDH as stated on their website?
I can't speak for other people but I don't disagree. House rules are fine. I only have an issue when people try to force their views on others as if their's is the only correct choice. Personally, I don't play infinite combos or stax because I find them anticlimactic and uninteresting respectively.

>
I would be completely willing to have a playgroup that genuinely banned infinite combos or hard lock, for example. I don't feel I would be out of line either.
Sure, just don't assume that every playgroup shares your sentiments.
>>
>>47327897
I've only gotten to play my gitrog deck once and it's jank as fuck with no actual cards bought for it other than some gb shit I had laying around from last two sets.

That said, it's pretty fun and even my opponents find it interesting to watch to see how the land plays out.

From the little I have seems like a fully optimized deck would be a blast to pilot.
>>
>>47327288
How about everyone stops shitposting and gives me shit or critique on my deck instead
>>
>>47328820
>there are (probably) three other players that can respond to someone going infinite

Well, not really. Anything over a 4 man pod is misery for me. And if I am playing with them, they are likely not running enough answers, because they are casual dummies.

See, that's the thing, because infinite combos are frequently considered perfectly acceptable in casual, you end up with a playgroup of idiots who don't run nearly enough disruption and removal and have barely any game sense or threat assessment yet STILL run infinite combos.

I found a new playgroup recently, I went there all of 3 times before I decided it wasn't for me. I would sit in something like a 6 man pod, with the players telling me "run your jankiest deck". Then we'd faff around for a few hours. We'd have players running shit like Abattoir Ghoul. There was one game where Rhystic Study was on the field and I was the ONLY person paying the one, including on turns when people had mana. And despite all of that casual nonsense, despite all the faffing, the game ended the same way. The guy running what is obviously a casual deck, gets two cards that go infinite and I had used my Krosan Grip on someone's Staff of Nin in the spirit of fairness.

I hope this didn't seem like a rant, but I really wish people could see my point of view on this subject.
>>
>>47328924

I have been thinking about making Tromo for awhile now filled with crazy blue combat tricks and twiddles.

After taking apart all my decks, I've built 2:

Gisa and Alesha

I think blue would do some good to break up the black, but idk what else to do.
>>
>>47328829
I've found that I win games that go on the longest. It is because by not doing very much, you can generally steer the way the game is going. There's always someone running a mean deck. And then the next mean deck. And then once those two kill each other, I can have a nice relaxing game of MTG against someone who plays nice decks.

I dunno. The notion that MLD is so miserable that combos make the game better seems to be knocking MLD rather than praising combos.

I'm a one card per turn kind of guy. If I play something and they answer it, they'll run out of answers eventually. Same goes for . If they don't, then they win, if I run out of threats, then I lose. That's really the best.
>>
>>47328988
Sorry if you misunderstood me but my assumption was in a four player pod three other players might have an answer to a given player going infinite (including yourself).

It sounds like that group's problem was a combination of poor threat assessment (a very common description of EDH groups) and an aversion to interactivity. I see your views on the subject I just think there are other, underlying issues that are more relevant than infinite combos.

The most important thing about an EDH group is making sure everyone is on the same page.
>>
>>47328954
See, that's the thing. If I am a genuine part of a playgroup, I can steer it. I have my say. I don't have to just get up and leave to find another.

Sure, if I find a well established playgroup, I'm not gonna come in and houserule it. But if I am playing with a few friends? I will voice my opinion. Fun is subjective, but that doesn't mean saying a card isn't fun isn't meaningful info.

And I have found it works in a lot of cases. People don't always respond poorly to the notion that hey, their deck is tuned and all, but not really a lot of fun to play against. Admittedly, that's usually because it isn't very fun to pilot either. A friend of mine had a Zegana deck for a while. After a few games of it, he ended up just conceding halfway through his absurd card draw, because it just wasn't fun for anyone.
>>
>>47329053

I'm not at all saying land destruction is miserable, what I'm saying is sometimes the table overcomes the disadvantage and the guy who wiped the lands is unable to close out the game, now we just started another game essentially, and the same thing might happen again, I'm not saying this is a awful horrible thing but the possibility of closing things out quicker seems like a good option to have in your playgroup, the purpose is not for every game to end in combo, combo is just one of many strategies of winning
>>
>>47329056
>that group's problem was a combination of poor threat assessment (a very common description of EDH groups) and an aversion to interactivity

ie. They are a casual playgroup.

It wouldn't be a problem if there wasn't infinite combos, because after all, if every threat is gradual, there's time. There's time to react, there's time to draw answers, there's time to play more and see more and talk more.

If someone playing a game winning threat that isn't an infinite combo, like say Sheoldred (not a super nice card, but it is a good example) and we all don't have answers? Well, it'll suck. We'll lose a lot of creatures, he might reanimate a few solid fatties or utility dudes, but over all, it'll take him a few turns to swing at each of us to kill us. Issues like threat assessment and lack of answers fade away.
>>
>>47329125
>what I'm saying is sometimes the table overcomes the disadvantage and the guy who wiped the lands is unable to close out the game, now we just started another game essentially

That sounds like land destruction is miserable. Even if I get every nonland permanent blown up, I still have a hand and things to play. I never feel hopeless or like I started another game.

What's the rush? A clean board state is my best friend in EDH. I can sit, relax, talk, drink. Play my cards. Not a care in the world.

While with combo being a possibility, I can't. All it does is make what would be a relaxing experience into a stressful one. The only way I've found to combat it is to stop caring if I win or lose.
>>
>>47329273

Again it's not that we NEED to rush every game, but the option of somebody being able to close out the game quickly is good to have for the reasons I've described

We sit relax talk and drink the whole game, and it doesn't stress us out to think about how we are going to prevent our opponents from comboing off, it's how the game works, it's fun
>>
>>47329273

Also slower decks are still viable if they are built to slow down opponents too

That's what I like in magic, the number of angles from which you can attack your opponents, and from which you have to defend yourself

Whenever you start making your own banlist (even if that banlist is just a gentlemens agreement) you have an unintended effect on your meta that in my opinion serves no purpose when you can just shuffle up and play again if somebody combos off

Also I don't save removal spells I simply run enough to always have something ready when my opponent is trying to combo off, and if I don't, then that means my opponent won the slow war of card advantage

So I really don't see what's to be gained by imposing house rules against combos

To each his own of course
>>
>>47329396
The reason you described sounds like another syndrome of people not understanding the differences between casual and competitive. It is solving one problem with another.

I run answers. I interact with my opponents. But if I can't do it in an interesting or fun way, it is just a chore. A card like Root Out may not be good, but it is fun to me in a way that Krosan Grip can't ever hope to achieve. But I run Krosan Grip. Why? Because I need to in order not to die to some cookie cutter combo that will stop the game and kill everyone at the table.

I don't see how that can possibly NOT be stressful. Whenever I play against a deck that runs that sort of thing, I feel like I'm babysitting four toddlers, but one of the toddlers might have a shotgun stashed in his overalls.
>>
File: 148.jpg (67 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
148.jpg
67 KB, 312x445
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/karametras-landfall-3/

A casual budget deck I'm building. Any thoughts or input?
>>
>>47326798
You gotta build your deck in a way so that the Rakdos enablers serve at least a second purpose. I run a few deathtouch equips like basilisk's collar and quietus spike to make the pinger creatures removal on a stick. Pilgrim's Eye fixes mana, Vampire Nighthawk has two forms of evasion, gives some life to mitigate the massive amounts of black card draw I need and can also be a good blocker when I'm behind, Triskaidekaphobia is sometimes a win condition and always fun, Sin Prodder either draws cards, gets the pain count going, or does both because he's a 3/2 with menace, Staff of Nin draws cards, Palace Siege has a second mode, Pestilence controls the board while keeping your fatties alive, and so on and so forth. I think Pilgrim's Eye is the best of the bunch here because on turn 3 i can make sure to hit that RRBB on turn 4 and there's always someone who can't block a flyer. But I honestly wouldn't run shit like pulse tracker because it just doesn't do enough.
>>
>>47329446
Playing again means having to shuffle, draw 7, resolve mulligans, do the BAD parts of the game again. And even a competitive player will understand that EDH is the sort of format where the later turns are the fun ones. I like having a curve, but the jank really only starts to shine later on.

Banning combos and houserules in general, help keep the game casual. Casual means more relaxation, more time, more cards, more banter, more everything that makes EDH GOOD.

Hey, quick question, would you rather win a game on turn 4 or lose a game on turn 30? Personally, I would rather the latter. I think the answer to that question really indicative of the gap between a competitive player (even a Johnny or Timmy who wants to win) and a casual player.
>>
File: Untitled.png (626 KB, 780x993) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
626 KB, 780x993
>>
>>47318346
Strengths
>threat assessment
>build boy scout decks
>unpredictable
Weakness
>can't make a mana curve to save my life
>being unpredictable means people would rather kill you now than wait till I pull something out of a hat
>seriously why can't I make good optimized decks

Favorite Card?
Boros reckoner
>>
>>47329519

I'm sorry some cards are better than others, not to mention you're welcome to run root out in addition Krosan grip if you want clues

Idk what to tell you, we aren't worried about losing so we don't stress, if I lose, I probably learn something about what works and what doesn't, or it was bad luck, either way I'm not bothered

Maybe it helps that we play 3-4 games when we meet up

It's not like your one game of the week is over on turn 4 and that's it, if a game ends in a crazy fast combo that means we're playing an extra game that night, and we have a funny story of how brutal that domination was that we'll talk about for weeks to come
>>
>>47329612

The early turns aren't bad in a competitive metagame, they are filled with interesting decisions, it's true that your favorite splashy plays occur later, but those plays are made possible by what you did to set yourself up in the early turns, and stop opponents from landing their haymaker first

Everything good about what you define as casual play occurs in our playgroup, no shortage of banter or relaxation

Id rather win on turn 4, theoretically there could be a fun 30 turn game but I prefer pivotal moments and big swings of momentum, rather than and endless cycle of punch and counterpunch

Not that I've won or lost on turn 4 more than a handful of times ever

We all are trying to win fast we just enter the late game faster than you, aka the part you said is the fun part

Most of our games still go 7-10 turns which is plenty for 4-5 players
>>
>>47329807
This is like talking to a brick wall. Do you legit not understand why a format where everyone has 40 life, plays with 3 others and has a 100 card singleton deck would be better suited for games longer than 4 turns? How maybe, just maybe, a 4 turn game doesn't FEEL the same way a longer game does?

And again, it isn't a matter of "being worried I will lose". It is a matter of being worried that the game will end without anything fun or interesting having occurred.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 63

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.