[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mecha Dragons: Too anime?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7
How might I incorporate sort of mech dragons, or weaponed up giant lizards without my players maybe saying "Ugh too animuuu"
>>
File: 3025_Dragon1.png (98 KB, 538x664) Image search: [Google]
3025_Dragon1.png
98 KB, 538x664
>>47305587
>being a Drac
>>
>>47305587
if thats enough to make your players while about anime find new players.
>>
>>47305587
Dragons aren't real. Many years ago, an enterprising mechanical wizard considered this a clear oversight, and decided to fix it. Such was his skill and the ingenuity of his designs that they remain functioning to this day; they hoard gold for repairs and to fund the construction of more dragons. Dragons are now real.
>>
File: Combat Mech Mk7.jpg (202 KB, 1124x1074) Image search: [Google]
Combat Mech Mk7.jpg
202 KB, 1124x1074
>>47305587
We're going dragon hunting boys! Mount up!
>>
File: 1460781527077.jpg (143 KB, 1024x723) Image search: [Google]
1460781527077.jpg
143 KB, 1024x723
>>47305587

The Creatures are functionally called "Dragons" because of their general design. however their genetic make up is closer to an admixture of modern day reptiles and ancient Dinosaurs albeit with bio-mechanical muscular and bones that allow them to maintain their huge size and weight as well as wield the weapons grafted to their bodies.

As most of their organs are mechanical they can operate in a number of environments relying on their internal systems to filter toxins or simply supply them with oxygen when operating in vacuum or water (although there are specialized units designed just for vacuum and deepsea fighting as well).

A similar concept is used with humaniod Frames and with augmented nervous systems pilots have a deeper level of control and connection to their various Frames allowing them to move as if they were their own limbs.
>>
>>47305587
Go, dare i say, steampunk. Dwarfs (which are an anathema to animu) built great mechanical dragons, Describe to the players the rusty metallic sound they take with each step, how slow moving and cumbersome they are, belching great plumes of smoke from the furnaces that blacken the day.
>>
File: 1459294130374.jpg (227 KB, 1600x964) Image search: [Google]
1459294130374.jpg
227 KB, 1600x964
>>47309562

>Sir it would appear your dragon has sprung a leak...

>Don't worry, that's an intentional design feature.
>>
>>47305587
Don't play with retards?
>>
The thing you have to pin down is why.

Why do you have mecha dragons?

Is it some component of design in the mecha? Or are they dragons that have roboticized themselves? You have not given enough detail in your post.

If you want to avoid anime themes you have to avoid the tropes used almost exclusively in anime.

Are the mecha sturdy frontline war machines akin to an armored division? (Battletech, Mechwarrior, etc.) You can avoid the weeb flavoring.

Are they superpowered solo death machines lightyears above the "grunt" mecha and engage in duels with enemy commanders on the same level? You're swimming in the Gundam juices.

Aestheticly the more sleek and/or improbable the design or capabilities the closer you lean towards anime-ish.

Western mecha tend to be bulky, rough, heavily armored and brutish in combat; more like a walking tank.
Also: no plasma/beam/bullshitoton swords
>>
>>47305587
>How might I incorporate sort of mech dragons, or weaponed up giant lizards without my players maybe saying "Ugh too animuuu"

Just tell them that anyone who complains about anime can leave for being an idiot.
No one wants any players like that.
>>
>>47309760

The dragons have, what amounts to a biological engine in their body that can power the sort of weapons to fight whatever they are fighting so the humans are growing dragons around advanced armor and weapons systems as it is easier and cheaper to do so then to lobotomize a dragon and stuff it full of cybernetic augmentations.
>>
>>47307939
Just had a great idea:
mecha suits are basically suits of armor. Dragon scales are either biomech suits or just really advanced mecha. Horses can be bikes or something of the sort. Just imagine whole companies of mech suit knights fighting dragon mechs.
>>
File: 1388968375493.gif (791 KB, 318x242) Image search: [Google]
1388968375493.gif
791 KB, 318x242
>>47310378
Glorious
>>
>>47310349
Okay so they are being used as a bio-engine weapons platform.

That can easily be played non-anime.
>>
>>47310577

Honestly I don't see the reason to be concerned over how "anime" something is. I understand there are people who are undesirable in their habits and likes but people who obsesse over how weeb something is can be and are just as obnoxious as people who shove their favorite videogame or anime reference into anything they do.
>>
>>47310543
this is the first time i saw this gif without the looping edit. i'm stunned.
>>
OP here, Its more of a case of we have a cynical dickwad or two in the group, and if he sees anime in my sic-fi he whines about it. and other starts yelling "how would that work"

setting is simple, imagine armored core level of weapons being developed, like every company has been devoted to making new and useful weapons. then throw in the fact that we have orcs, fairies, elves.

i really like the advice guys, thanks, ill probably go with more of >>47309760 this, not so much uber fast light speed dragons, more like a single dragon is a living war machine that even word of it being on the battlefield is enough to rattle the enemy.

but I'm open to more ideas, thank you.

also >>47309590 made me chuckle
>>
>>47310613
I'm actually more curious about what constitutes something as "anime". Like what makes something "anime" or "weeb"
>>
File: 1455946244193.jpg (44 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
1455946244193.jpg
44 KB, 690x460
>>47311006

Have you ever played any online game and you see people with screen names like Seph1rothtrdark or something equally stupid? Or maybe you see or hear people who make characters who are carbon copies of whatever particular anime character they are really into except changing the color of their hair or something superficial like that?

I imagine when someone runs into a person like that they are scarred and have a form of PTSD that makes them lash out at anything that can be percieved as "too anime" and so they'll over emphasize something else and possibly unwittingly do the same thing with whatever genre they are into themselves.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.