[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey new fag here. I recently started playing dnd with some friends.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: sigil.jpg (557 KB, 1013x735) Image search: [Google]
sigil.jpg
557 KB, 1013x735
Hey new fag here. I recently started playing dnd with some friends. Nobody ever played pnp before but someone has to do the dming.

Now if got a question. I loved the concept of Sigil in Planescape: Torment. But there seems to be no Rulebooks for it and the Planes in Edition 5. But i want to read in the matter so should i start with the Manual of Planes from 3e or the planar handbook 3e.
>>
Tormentfags are the worst thing to happen to planescape.
>>
>>47302661
Honestly, just go for a wikiwalk and learn things that way.

>>47302700
Torment is probably the only good thing to ever come out of Planescape.
>>
>>47302661
Neither, you should find scans of the books from 2e online. Reading those will really get you a sense of Planescape.

>>47302700
>Tormentfags are the worst thing to happen to planescape.

I disagree. As much as I love Di'Terlizzi, the Sigil of Torment has a crazy amount of variety expressed in it, more like something from Guillermo Del Toro. It also doesn't demystify things, which I find is the biggest problem Planescape as a setting has.
>>
>>47302661
The 1E or 2E Manual of the Planes would actually be a better match for 5E than more recent versions. Actually, MotP was more fluff and very little crunch, so it would be a great resource for you.
>>
>>47302858
Agreed on MotP, and really you can borrow concepts from older editions without terribly much muss or fuss.

>>47302840
I didn't feel much demystification from the old 2E books.

Some time ago I considered running a 5e game but wanted to start it right after the factions got their headquarters removed from Sigil but that triggered a lot of nerdrage so I shelved the idea.
>>
>>47302700
It is often a gateway to the world of tabletop roleplay games, that Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale. Neverwinter Nights. These are adventure hooks to tabletop roleplaying.

Without them the hobby would be in a much worser state.

>>47302840
I agree, it seems more real and gritty in a not-grimderp way. It is very much like a Del Toro movie.
>>
>>47302904
>>47302858
>>47302840

Thanks.Consider doing so.

>>47302818
Tried that but having a supplement book in my hand (or as pdf) is easier for me. Still thanks
>>
>>47302904
>I didn't feel much demystification from the old 2E books.

It's more the constant prevalent cynicism. I'm ok with that being mainly in Sigil. Nearly everyone and anything can be found in Sigil. I don't expect that kind of behaviour in Excelsior, or Arborea, or the Plane of Air. Let me also just mention the cant. Sure it's thematic, but it's also for Sigilians, and likely only the lower classes too. I don't want some noble from the Lady's Ward spitting like a Hiver.

>Some time ago I considered running a 5e game but wanted to start it right after the factions got their headquarters removed from Sigil but that triggered a lot of nerdrage so I shelved the idea.

I prefer the approach wherein most factions are presented as integral facets of Sigilian society who provide key services to the public (much like the guilds of Ravnica), because that is what they actually do. The Believers of the Source are an industrial powerhouse, the Doomguard stock Sigil's armories, the Fated do all the city's bookkeeping, the Fraternity of Order/Harmonium/Mercykillers trio enforces law, the Free League keep the markets and businesses healthy and prosperous, the Sign of One conducts itself in politics, the Society of Sensation provides entertainment and advanced media (prerecorded virtual reality!) to the people, the Transcendent Order serves as advisors to everyone, the Bleakers provide social services, the Dustmen provide the mortuary services. The Athar keep the religions in line, the Anarchists keep everyone else on their toes, and the Xaositects are plain barmy.
>>
>>47303014
>and the Xaositects are plain barmy.
Those modrons aren't going to paint themselves!
>>
>>47302661
Avoid the 3e material. Read the 2e material.
>>
>>47303014
I don't see why services cannot sill be provided (or even shaken up a bit) if their headquarters is pushed into their plane of their flavor. That's like saying the feds can't provide services at a state level; it's entirely possible and a DC approach may be something that works well in sigil.

110% agreed that other planes and cultures are more interesting than sigil itself.
>>
>>47304924
I always assumed the actual headquarters of the factions were on other planes, just that each faction has a function in sigil that is intrinsic to Sigilian society. In wanting to control Sigil, they have become a necessary part of it, kept in check mainly by their peers and the Lady of course.
>>
>>47302661
Play D&D instead
>>
>>47302818
Fuck out of my board, a shitty videogame almost no-one has heard of is better than the setting it is a small representation of??!!?! You like videogames more than table top, probably because your imagination is pathetic, leave and please consider the benefits to the rest of the world if you kill yourself
>>
>>47302661
I doubt that OP is still here but in case he is, I just wanna say that the concept of Sigil and all of Planescape in general is the biggest clusterfuck of a setting I have ever laid my eyes on, in the best possible way.

There is an entire book dedicated to Sigil in the 2e edition of the setting, and another book entirely about the NPCs who live here, I've never read the 3e manual of the planes but I doubt it covered the monstruous size and possibilities of the planes, and I have a torrent for an almost-well organised folder of all the planescape books if anyone wants to try it.

There is also an veteran anon who makes a thread about planescape every week, and he's been running games in it for years, if you need advice about what material to read, whether it is to play it or just for the lore.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.