[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
weapon stances
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 394x370) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 394x370
does using a weapon with both hands increase speed , attack strength or both?
does reverse-gripping a dagger have any purpose?
>>
>>47297378
Depends on the weapon I imagine.

I have some East Asian sword that has been in my family for a while, could one of you anons identify it you think? I'll post pics
>>
>>47297378
Yes.
>>
>does using a weapon with both hands increase speed , attack strength or both?
You can swing with more power as you have both arms applying force, also two arms gives you more control which could effectively make you faster
>does reverse-gripping a dagger have any purpose?
It's easier to do an upwards slash or a downwards stab.

Bearing in mind I know pretty much fuck all about actual fighting, I may be completely wrong :)
>>
Obviously some weapons must be used with one or two hands. But in the cases where either could work, generally two handing a weapon slows down your fighting. You must be more flexible with your movements and you must be able to block in a timely manner.

In the case of the daggers, the only real use for the reverse holding is the downward stab into an armored foe. Holding the dagger this way shortens the effective range of the dagger since stabbing is the primary motions you will be making.
>>
>>47297378
>Both hands
Depends on the weapon. In general, if the weapon is made for use with both hands, use it with both hands. If it's made for use in one hand, use it in one hand. The big difference is reach. Using a weapon in one hand provides you with greater reach than using it with both does. It also allows you to make yourself a smaller target, what with not having to square your shoulders so much. However, using both hands does indeed provide better power and control assuming the weapon is built with that in mind. The only kind of weapon I can commonly see someone switching between one and two hands with though is something along a hand and a half or "bastard" sword. Most weapons are simply built for one or two handed use exclusively.

>Reverse grip dagger
Yes. To summarize it a great deal, it allows for easier, more powerful stabs. There's obviously much more nuance than that (different sorts of guards/blocks for instance), but that's the most immediate and obvious benefit.
>>
>>47297639
Also, this comes from a background in HEMA, as well as observing and discussing such things with practitioners much more experienced than myself.
>>
>>47297378

Reverse grip on a dagger sacrifices range for height, as strikes from a reverse grip dagger can come from higher and still be effective.

It also helps a lot if you can get inside their guard, to a degree because you can stab effectively while still closing off lines of attack with the arm that is holding the dagger.

Not a great idea to be hit in the arm holding your weapon, but it's better than being killed.
>>
>>47297378
so , if i want to figure out a general rule for two-handing , what multipliers should i apply for attack/speed?
i thought of x2 attacks per turn since your arms dont tire out as quickly and x1.5 attack strength
>>
>>47297639
what about spears? those are often used one -handed + shield or two-handed
>>
>>47297793
Read this >>47297639
>>
>>47298166
>general rule
>>
>>47297378
does using two hands allow you to lift more?
>>
>>47297728
also you can use a reverse grip as a hook much more easily. knife fighting is very much wrestling with blades, so these are important.
>>
>>47297378
depends on the weapon
Yes.
-Easier to use while grappling
-Weapon arm is in a far more convenient location to block than most forward grips
-More angles to make an attack from
-For defenders there are easier disarms, but a narrower window of opportunity to perform them
-Elbow is more engaged than forward grip
-You have to be closer to attack effectively
-Downward thrusts are easy, strong, and will straight up kill someone if they can't stop it early into the swing
-Icepick grip has more disarm counters and some of them are REALLY fucking nasty

Source: 2 years Krav Maga, I'm not exactly an expert or anything
>>
>>47297378

Yea, it does. If you just look at the way your arm swings and how leverage works, a reverse grip works better in close combat, you don't need to swing as widely to get as much force, and you can maneuver the blade easier when its close to your body when compared to the normal grip. Of course going with this, the reverse grip sacrifices reach.
>>
>>47297613

you don't really know what you are talking about do you?
Two handed weapons are in no way slower unless you are fighting like a retard, they are longer, meaning that if someone gets inside your guard then you are in trouble. But in no way are they slower. Also blocks and parries are easier with a two handed weapon by a long shot, because there is more weapon to block with.
A one handed weapon moves just as quickly, will tire you out faster and has a shorter fighting distance, however it frees up a hand to use with a shield, dagger, or just for grappling.
>>
File: 1439173814563.gif (903 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
1439173814563.gif
903 KB, 300x200
>>47297378
Reverse gripping a dagger is expressly for stabbing in a crude, downward fashion and little else.

Literally in any other user of it is genuinely impractical til the point of mockery.

Two-handing swords does not make any genuinely meaningful impact on its speed unless you're not strong enough to wield the weapon in a single hand. It is fractions of a second faster, this due in part to using a weapon in both hands is more of a lever effect than it is wrenching around a huge slab of lethal steel.

The techniques and grips are commonly done in such a way for the easiest redirection of the weapon's momentum that is possible so you can keep swinging if necessary.

Striking force and parry/deflecting a blow with a reverse grip is dangerous, inelegant, lacking strength and rigidity, exposing, and not versatile. Never do it.
>>
>>47297427
Yeah this guy nails it, also, "icepicking" a dagger would give you better armour penetration by virtue of increasing your leverage, but greatly reduce your speed and overall effectivness with the weapon. It is a tradeoff but can be worth it in certain situations, and I think there is hostorical documentation of the style being used.
>>
>>47299144
>Reverse gripping a dagger is expressly for stabbing in a crude, downward fashion and little else.
Unfortunately evidence points to the icepick grip being remarkably dangerous if the person holding the knife is at least somewhat decent at it. The downward stab is by far the easiest to perform and easiest to defeat technique in knife fighting, but a downward stab is by no means the only icepick grip technique. You're forgetting horizontal stab from the opposite shoulder, punch & cut, inward horizontal/vertical/almost any fucking angle you want sweep to cut, and the fact that it is the superior guard grip.

Icepick grip being dumb and useless is pretty old thinking in the military, where the fuck did you get that idea from?
>>
>>47299144
Keating and Puller disagree, but alright dude.

Forward grip is obviously superior in most situations, but you're underestimating reverse grip there pretty hard my man. Do not underestimate any fucking thing about any person holding a deadly weapon.
>>
2 handing sacrifices reach and positioning for control and power

Only really relvent for hand a half swords though as that's the only weapon I can really see alternating between one and two hands on in reality.
>>
Ya'll niggas need some Matt Easton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVhQbOREvPw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD0EbGpemLk
>>
>>47297378
A two handed grip increases the amount of force you can apply on the weapons , and therefore increases acceleration because physics. Therefore it should increase speed and attack strength.
I don't know about reverse gripping.
>>
It increases defense
>>
>>47300143
Reverse grip is great when fighting a guy who is wounded, unprepared, unarmed, or better armored than you are armed.

Like everything else it's situational and if you insist on using it in every situation you're a retard.

Forward grip is less likely to fuck you if you don't know what you're doing so that you don't ice pick when you shouldn't.

Yall niggas should be using axes anyways. Big impractical double headed ones.

Because we all know you're just faking it anyways. Otherwise you'd get a gun.

Now there is an elegant weapon for a refined time.
>>
>>47297378
>reverse-gripping a dagger have any purpose?
Only got delivering a finishing strike. Any other use is restarted.

Different stances and methods of holding your weapon do different things, clearly. Some weapons are expressly designed for a specific stance / hold. Others are more flexible.

Personally, my favorite are hand and a half sword. Great mix of power, handling, and gives you the ability to adapt to evolving battlefield situations without having to swap weapons.
>>
>>47301784
>restarted
Retarded. And so am I apparently. Stupid phone
>>
>>47299144
Have you ever reverse gripped anything? It's easy to to stab at waist level and slashing is possible. The grip is just as secure as a hammer grip and more secure than a sabre grip.

t. /k/ommando
>>
One thing worth mentioning is that 2-handing a weapon, in addition to obviously preventing you from holding other stuff, does in fact reduce your range significantly. This is pretty much the only way in which 2 handing a weapon can be considered "worse" than just 1 handing it since every other metric you might care for (Force, speed, and control of attack) is better in 2 hands. Might be worth noting that 1 handed thrusts are still almost as fast as 2 handed thrusts. Between this and the reach issue you're going to find that if you deliberately one hand a weapon its pretty much only for lunges and thrusts. A man using a slashing weapon in 1 hand better have a real good reason.
>>
>>47302085
>A man using a slashing weapon in 1 hand better have a real good reason.
>what are sabers
>>
>>47301784
reverse grip on a dagger is actually better for a block, similar to a nightstick, as long as you dont put the edge to your arm.
>>
>>47297378
reverse grip dagger = greater leverage but reduced maneuverability

dont trust internet grognards who say not to reverse grip, almost every dagger type weapon in history was held reverse grip.
>>
>>47302300
Sabers just utilise the extra reach from 1 hand use effectively. If you wanted to blitz a helpless peasant you'd probably still be better off 2 handing the thing.
>>
>>47302300
>what are sabers
A kind of shitty cut & thrust sword for a footman? A moderately-useful sidearm for a horseman that's denied his lance? A mostly-irrelevant symbol of rank?
>>
>>47299525
Its not because it increases leverage. You get better armor piercing because ou are using bigger muscle groups in the ice pick grip.
>>
>>47299144
>Reverse gripping a dagger is expressly for stabbing in a crude, downward fashion and little else.

You need to hold it in reverse to do certain wrestle moves and disarming maneuvers. But yeah, if your style of knife fighting is derived from smallsword- and epee fencing, then you naturally don't have any use for a reverse girp.
>>
>>47297378
It lets you use weapons that would be unwieldy in one hand. There's no benefit to using two hands on an arming sword or rapier, but one hand on a longsword (bastard sword in D&D terms) would slow you down and one hand on a greatsword would be nearly impossible.

Reverse grip on daggers gives you more strength to parry with and opens up a lot of high attacks that aren't immediately obvious. Attacking high is better than attacking low, because it's a lot harder to move your body and keep your balance than it is to move your feet and keep your balance. It's the same reason you never strike below the waist with swords.
>>
>>47304518
>knife fighting
>Implying theres more to using a knife than surprise
I know this isn't /k/ but come on.
>>
File: ex.jpg (202 KB, 1191x763) Image search: [Google]
ex.jpg
202 KB, 1191x763
>>47299525
>I think there is hostorical documentation of the style being used.
Yeah.

It used to be by far the most popular way to use a dagger in the medieval period. Later on, the other way around gained popularity.
>>
>>47302500
>If you wanted to blitz a helpless peasant you'd probably still be better off 2 handing the thing
Sabers don't weigh shit. The limiting factor with a weapon that light isn't the weight of the sword, it's the weight of your arm. There's a limit to how fast you can move, even when you're not holding anything.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.