[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone here played in or DM'd a game where the player(s)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: The Arch-Lich's Tale.png (53 KB, 1231x681) Image search: [Google]
The Arch-Lich's Tale.png
53 KB, 1231x681
Has anyone here played in or DM'd a game where the player(s) played the antagonist(s) in order to set up another campaign?
>>
>>47297213
Not specifically to set up another campaign. But I have run games where the players were the antagonists. It happened on its own a couple of times, where I would try to present them as the good guys and they would just turn into destructive, out-of-control sociopaths. So then I tried to run a campaign where they were the bad guys from the start. They didn't like it, and tried to be the heroes instead.

I used to think they were contrarian, but after a few more years of gaming, now I think they're just retarded.
>>
Long running superhero game. GM ended up running two groups, the Older Adult team which I was a former part of and the younger teenage team, whom i became the main nemesis of for long while till the Adult team managed to reverse the mind control I was under. But god those two years were freaking awesome. Was almost a solid year before my true identity was found out by the teen group. Actually killed one of them...some Doc Ock ripoff type guy.
>>
Several times it I guess
>>
>>47297213
No, but I'm running a Black Crusade game, and should the players reach Apotheosis, I'm going to start a separate Dark Heresy/Deathwatch/Only War game and pit the groups against each other. It'll be beautiful
>>
>>47297213
Sort of, I play as the antagonists after the session is done, making moves in for the in-game duration of the players session.
But it's more a way to make sure I don't pull shit out-o-my ass when i DM them than actually playing as antagonists.
>>
File: Mayor Bones.jpg (314 KB, 1864x3263) Image search: [Google]
Mayor Bones.jpg
314 KB, 1864x3263
>>47297213
I've played a couple sessions where players are the antagonists, but it doesn't usually hold up too well- inevitably someone gets a little butthurt and/or dies.

First experience with this was when I DM'd for a couple of newbies:
>Dwarf, elf and halfing (but she's drunk so... didn't do much)
>Long story short, the dwarf is an accidental criminal and the boat their on is smuggling drugs
>Elf gets racist and wants to establish himself as the "leader" of the party by fucking over the dwarf
>Rats on the dwarf for enjoying some of said drugs down in the hold
>Plan backfires when the dwarf actually kills the captain and the crew backs down
>Elf proceeds to start a fire belowdeck while dwarf assumes command of his new ship
>Chaos ensues as the ship burns up, everyone bails
>Elf takes the one life boat, and holds the halfling hostage
>Dwarf rolls real lucky and crossbows elf to death before being mauled by a shark and barely surviving long enough to be heal'd by ye olde drunk halfling

The guy who played the Elf is actually involved in all of my antagonist stories. For some reason he likes being the badguy.
>>
>>47301985
Second story isn't nearly as thrilling:
>Elf guy makes another racist elf character- decides he wants to be a slimy politician this time
>"Rudy" is his name
>Tries to bankroll all the other adventurers into doing his bidding
>This actually kind of works except they have to follow him around as bodyguards to all of his political parties and they just wanna dungeon crawl/go on epic quests
>Eventually the ranger in the group gets drunk, gets bored, and decides that this elf guy can't be up to any good (especially since he witnessed the whole ship burning episode)
>Shoots an arrow at him during a banquet at a castle and gets the whole group thrown in the dungeon while the slimy politician gets off scott free
>Rudy returns later to play as a villain in a big battle I just ran mostly so that him and the ranger could try to kill each other
>Rudy dies and gets a little mad when he realizes the odds are not stacked in his favor, and his ability to summon a dragon does not actually culminate in an easy peezy world domination scheme

He played the villain well though, and sort of resigned himself to a pretty epic death as soon as he realized there was no hope for this evil plan to work out.
>>
>>47302177
Last story:
>Convince evil elf making player to DM
>He obviously likes making devious plans, and I'm not that good at political intrigue campaigns plus no one else wants to even try that with him
>He agrees and actually runs a really fun campaign that I play in
>The final boss is actually some terrible unspeakable evil demon thing that tries to assume control of any character in our group that is good (corruption was a pretty big theme)
>Our paladin gets turned into the final boss
>Was a really cool twist, and we all had a lot of fun with the encounter except he tried to make his own mob and spent most of the fight throwing in things to try to make it feel balanced

I've thought about trying to get him and a few other people to start playing a "league of evil" sort of campaign wherein they could become the villains of the biggest campaign I've been running. I think he got kind of burnt out on D&D after seeing every character he made die though.
>>
Not as though we were the antagonists going into the game, but the DM in a following game made our characters from the previous game antagonists in hindsight, for the new characters to oppose.
>>
>>47297213
I ran a game where I had the players play the antagonists of their own campaign.

These were players that I had a hard time getting immersed in the world. I found that having play the bad guys first not only got them very excited to beat their old characters, but they were much more happy to learn the lore of the world. It even got a "that guy" to stop murder-hoboing and interact with story NPCs.

I highly recommended trying it
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.