[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
our treant bard dies ;__;
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: Treant.jpg (104 KB, 500x690) Image search: [Google]
Treant.jpg
104 KB, 500x690
Alrighty so I am in a campaign where our treant bard has recently died.
Our GM allowed us to break off a twig and "Groot" him by planting in in some dirt and then let him slowly grow.

But the thing is that our GM has also given the bard an ability which lets him absorb abilities from people, animals etc. that are left in his soil.

Me and the other guy (I am a sheildbearing lizard and he is a magical squirtle) have decided to create the best darn compost for our bard to grow up in. So I come you guys in search of ideas.

Our setting is a big mishmash of different things so there is pretty much no limit on what to look for.

So far we have:
water from Korins tower
golden apples from Asgaard
maybe try to make a hyperbolic timechamber sorta thing so he can grow up fast

and that is pretty much what we have so far. More ideas please?
>>
Ambrosia? blood and bits from various powerful monsters? rotting things make good compost, alternatively shit is great compost, but i'm pretty sure you don't want to plant him in that. What kinda things are available in your setting, and what do you want to give him?
>>
Halfway through reading your post I was expecting it to turn into your manhunt for great musicians that you would kill and turn into compost in order to make some sort of super bard
>>
Isn't bone meal the most common non shit fertilizer
>>
>>47297200

never heard about that but it could be a thing, lot of places you use compost, which is made of rotted plants and whatnot. I don't know the exact specifics, i just know i end up going to get a load of it every other year to touch up the flower beds, and when i go i see piles of vegetation in various stages of decomposition.
>>
>>47297200
It is, too bad a lich would probably fuck up a party with a missing member
>>
>>47297192
Not OP, but are there any Bard abilities that can affect plants?

Also
>Treant Bard
HRUM HOOOOM!
>>
>>47297258
>Treant bard
well.. in-game he apparently has a hollow arm that works like a banjo.
>>
>>47297270
I'm just saying, while an Arm-Banjo is quite cool, he's not gonna be a very good Tree-Singer if he can't HRUM HOOOOOM!
>>
>>47297270
If you're talking 3.5 I remember one off the top of my head from complete adventurer. It's garbage though
>>
>>47297257
If one were to put the lich in the ground to be used as bonemeal... How would you even do that? I mean if you kill the lich, is the bone body destroyed? Or does the magical energies just leave it?
Would you have to knock the lich out and then just put him in the dirt? Or figure out somehow to restrain it and then just wait until it decomposed?
>>
>>47297315
When I think of a lich I usually imagine a creature that kills plant life around it just by existing, but the actual remains probably just turn into dirt or dust if it is revived through its phylactery
>>
>>47297315
Maybe grind the bones and the phylactery to a fine powder and use that as fertilizer?
>>
>>47297095
. . . . . Do healing potions work on him in-setting?

Anyways, find some fire proof creatures and get on that. Fire is usually the number one concern.

Got any holy clout? Find a nature worshipping cult and cram a bunch of holy artifacts into the soul.

Then bind a demon into some fertilizer and shove that in there too.

Or find something that uses echo-location like a dolphin or a porpoise (fun fact, they use it to target specific organs like swim bladders to make called shots) and use that to disorient enemies or let the Treant make called shots or echolocate whatever.

Finally, clone yourselves and kill the clones and use that.
>>
>>47297388
but by destroying both the phylactery and lich you would kill it.. for real this time.
Then you would end up with just normal bones and an expensive soulbox right?
>>
>>47297437
>. . . . . Do healing potions work on him in-setting?
we haven't really gotten to a part where we needed healing yet. So we don't know.
I guess I should say that the time where the bard died was during our first adventure. Near the end sadly. He was killed by a giant ant.

>Dolphines
That might be doable. How hard are dolphines in 3.5?

>Demons
I don't really know how demonsummoning works. But wouldn't the contract be null and void once the fertilizer was absorbed into the bard?

>Fireproof enemies
This should be one of our first things to do. A fire resistant tree with a massive claymore would he horrifying

>nature worshipping cult
hmm a druid or two might be a good thing to add
>>
>>47297485
> But wouldn't the contract be null and void once the fertilizer was absorbed into the bard?

Ship of Theseus. Alternatively, the demon takes over your bard tree and you now have a possessed super treant to work as your BBEG as he seems normal at first but slowly goes insane succumbing to the demonic whispers of madness.

> Dolphines

> Spelled that way twice

No "e" there broseph.
>>
As far as useful abilities go you would probably want to give him stuff that would help him out with being a tree. Fire protection was mentioned and you'll also want things to toughen up his bark/wood and make him resistant to drought. Something to make him flexible and more agile would also help him make music.

In regards to making him a better bard and not some kind of vampire franken-tree you could bury him with an old wasp nest, some songbird feathers, a conch shell. Stuff like that, things from nature that make sound. Assuming it survived you could also have his hollow arm made into an actual banjo and give that to him when he comes back.

>>47297200
Not all fertilizers have shit in them. Apart from the ones that are just powdered chemicals in a bag you also have bone meal, fish meal, mushroom meal and such. Manure is specifically animal shit and is usually used on it's own. Compost is decomposed plants and may have any of the above mixed into it too.
>>
>>47297530
>dolphines
I can't spell ;__;
>>
>>47297534
> Not growing him so that instead of a digestive tract he has a big old compost pile inside a hollow part of himself in which he shoves defeated enemies.

Actually, Bloodmeal is also a fertilizer, so you could have him start out with just "drinking" the blood of his enemies and working his way up to being big enough to have internal composting. Anyways, to continue.

> I said defeated enemies, not dead. You need worms to really process the compost as well, so I suggest you get some horrifying worms to do the job. Most of those are sadly ocean dwelling. Alternatively, Compost can get up to 77 degrees Celsius so you could just cripple them and toss them in to slowly die from over-heating. But I like the thought of having a tree infested with rot grubs. "The most insidious aspect of the rot grubs is the anesthetic secretions that they use on their victims. Often this dulls the burrowed area, making the victim completely unaware that he has been invaded. "

> Hornet gun. Hollow banjo now disturbs the hornets that live in your tree and as your Treebard levels it can learn to control them with sound. Starting out with them just swarming and stinging around you (unintentionally if it's a bad roll) to defining friend or foe, to picking specific enemies and finally to driving them into a frenzy for extra damage.

> Your tree waifus the Queen wasp.
>>
>>47297619
Would it give him a bonus to intimidate checks if he hums a song and all of the hornets buzz their wings in tune?
>>
>>47297647
Yes.
>>
>>47297619
>> Hornet gun. Hollow banjo now disturbs the hornets that live in your tree and as your Treebard levels it can learn to control them with sound. Starting out with them just swarming and stinging around you (unintentionally if it's a bad roll) to defining friend or foe, to picking specific enemies and finally to driving them into a frenzy for extra damage.
>"Ah! A wasp! A wasp! Get away!"
>>
>>47297619
how do you slap on some templates to a hornets nest and its residents?
>>
File: It's just a wasp.jpg (46 KB, 640x377) Image search: [Google]
It's just a wasp.jpg
46 KB, 640x377
>>47297700
> Just a wasp

> "A" wasp

> "Just"

Hokay there champaroony.

>>47297647
People tend to react to wasps with either fear or mindless fear.
>>
>>47297722
Insect Plague
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level: Clr 5, Drd 5
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Effect: One swarm of locusts per three levels, each of which must be adjacent to at least one other swarm
Duration: 1 min./level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You summon a number of swarms of locusts (one per three levels, to a maximum of six swarms at 18th level). The swarms must be summoned so that each one is adjacent to at least one other swarm (that is, the swarms must fill one contiguous area). You may summon the locust swarms so that they share the area of other creatures. Each swarm attacks any creatures occupying its area. The swarms are stationary after being summoned, and won’t pursue creatures that flee.
>>
>>47297730
The thing I was quoting didn't have any lines that included the soldiers reacting to multiple wasps.
>>
>>47297722
Tactical Cazadore? Have the Treant use it as a jetpack?
>>
>>47297730
.. can I get the stats for a japanese giant hornet?
>>
>>47297730
The left picture makes it look so sad.
>>
>>47297756
Size/Type: Large Vermin
Hit Dice: 5d8+10 (32 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 60 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 14 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +4 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+11
Attack: Sting +6 melee (1d3+6 plus poison)
Full Attack: Sting +6 melee (1d3+6 plus poison)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Poison
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., vermin traits
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +2
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 12, Con 14, Int O, Wis 13, Cha 11
Skills: Spot +9, Survival +1*
Feats: —
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary, swarm (2-5), or nest (11-20)
Challenge Rating: 3
Advancement: 6-8 HD (Large); 9-15 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: —

Japanese Hornets attack when hungry or threatened, stinging their prey to death. They take dead or incapacitated opponents back to their lairs as food for their unhatched young.
Poison (Ex)

Injury, Fortitude DC 14, initial and secondary damage 1d6 Dex. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Skills
Japanese Hornets have a +8 racial bonus on Spot checks. *They also have a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks to orient themselves.
>>
>>47297765
It's sad that you're still breathing, and on the other side of a screen where it can't reach you.

It can only watch, and wait . . . . and hate.
>>
>>47297619
>> Hornet gun. Hollow banjo now disturbs the hornets that live in your tree and as your Treebard levels it can learn to control them with sound. Starting out with them just swarming and stinging around you (unintentionally if it's a bad roll) to defining friend or foe, to picking specific enemies and finally to driving them into a frenzy for extra damage.
Who said he needs just the one...
>>
>>47297095

>Treant Bard
>Shield Bearing Lizard
>Magical Squirtle
>Water from Korin's Tower
>Golden Apples from Asgard
>hyperbolic timechamber

WTF are you guys playing?
>>
>>47297882
basically a homebrewed dnd setting.
The concept is that we are ourselves but transported into a world where everything is real and composed of levels and stuff but we are the only ones that can see it.

Let's say that you have a massive boner for excalibur right? Well just go "Gee.. I want to upgrade this sword. We should go quest for EXCALIBUR!" And then ingame a quest would appear named "Journey to Camelot" or something like that.
Its a sandbox game which seems kinda fun so far
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.