[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /tg/ how does one run a good "horrors of vietnam"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: AyuCRUW.jpg (352 KB, 1229x1920) Image search: [Google]
AyuCRUW.jpg
352 KB, 1229x1920
So /tg/ how does one run a good "horrors of vietnam" session with ctuhulu elements?
>>
File: 1462884107721.jpg (18 KB, 639x621) Image search: [Google]
1462884107721.jpg
18 KB, 639x621
Op is fag confirm
>>
Bumperiono
>>
One obvious suggestion would be to run a game of call of Cthulhu set in the Vietnam war after reading through material relating to both
>>
File: 1428240616688.jpg (142 KB, 800x791) Image search: [Google]
1428240616688.jpg
142 KB, 800x791
Watch Apocalypse Now, watch that one PBS series about Vietnam, do some outside research, reread your favorite horror stories, take it from there.

What kind of horror elements were you thinking?
>>
>>47296796
Delta green Vietnam maybe?
Personal recommandation would be to keep the supernatural-cosmic elements of horror as an undertone. Focus on the real life horrors that occured in that war. Read testimonies, watch movies I dont know, I'm sure you already did that.
Do you already have ideas or is it just the atmosphere that appeals to you?
>>
>>47300054
>Personal recommandation would be to keep the supernatural-cosmic elements of horror as an undertone.

This. Do it True Detective S1 style, where the truly Lovecraftian elements are thematic. IT's less that the soldiers are running across shoggoths in the jungle, and more that the pointlessness of the war and all the death and destruction is making them perceive the world in Lovecraftian terms, with human life as meaningless and insignificant.
>>
>>47297226
My God, who would've thought of doing that?
>>
>>47300119
That's also the best way to play any CoC game
>>
>>47300119
>>47300344

I still think True Detective S1 was a cop-out. It would have been cooler for them to just think, all along, that they were simply dealing with the darkness of the human heart.

Then in the final episode, they realize, no - They're staring into an abyss of true, sanity-rending terror.

And then it takes them.
>>
I reckon a good base would be those tunnel rats guys who's job it was to infiltrate the viet cong tunnel network, that shit was terrifying enough without the monsters. Turns out the cong dug their tunnels just a little too deep and woke up something they shouldn't have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_rat

>Whenever troops would uncover a tunnel, tunnel rats were sent in to kill any hiding enemy soldiers and to plant explosives to destroy the tunnels. A tunnel rat was equipped with only a standard issue .45 caliber pistol, a bayonet and a flashlight, although most tunnel rats were allowed to choose another pistol with which to arm themselves. The tunnels were very dangerous, with numerous booby traps and enemies lying in wait.
>>
>>47300508
Good start would be seeing a bunch of vc running OUT of the hidden tunnel entrance.
>>
>>47300508
Wasn't there also old creepypastas about flesh tunnels hidden under strange altars or something?
Anyway, as stated previously, the horrors of the war should suffice themselves
>>
Play Spec Ops : The Line and get inspiration for that.
>>
Shell Shock 2 had a pretty good style, though it's more zombie apocalypse than occult conspiracy.
>>
>>47296796
My parents' generation was in Nam, so I've heard a lot of stories about commanding officers giving drugs to soldiers to keep them happy and sane. My friend's dad's unit just got marijuana, but he knew some other unit that got heroin. Maybe you could work that in. COs are giving soldiers a new drug that keeps them in fighting shape, but they start seeing... things.
>>
>>47296796
You have jungle. You have ruins. What else do you need?
>>
>>47300446
That's gay as fuck tbph
>>
Play It Ain't Me at the table
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.