[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best way to get a die-hard d20 group into GURPS?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: 1457658341176.png (1 MB, 1096x731) Image search: [Google]
1457658341176.png
1 MB, 1096x731
What's the best way to get a die-hard d20 group into GURPS?
>>
>>47288192
Make them play with 3d6 instead of 1d20 for a session or two.
>>
>>47288192
Kill them and get a new group
>>
>>47288192
try telling them that death or having a arm cut off every other battle is fun. OR that the spell casting in combat is silly, Sorry, the kind of people that like D&D well never like a "let's set and talk everything out" story system
>>
The Dungeon Fantasy series is basically GURPS: D&D, so start there. The templates make things much friendlier for people used to class-based systems, and higher starting values strike a nice balance between D&D fantasy super heroes and the gritty deadly combat you'll see in other campaigns.
>>
>>47288192
1) Don't "convert" people, it's creepy as shit, if they wanted to play GURPS they'd warm up to it and ask you.
2) I don't really want people who can be converted through rhetoric in any of my interests - I want people to authentically enjoy shit around me, not placating the dude who begged them to do the thing they didn't want to in the first place.
>>
Use your GURPS books to kill yourself.
They'll think the game was responsible and they'll love it for it.
>>
>>47289619
But GURPS is none of those things.
>>
>>47288192
Ilegal brain surgery.
>>
why do so many people hate gurps?
>>
>>47290548

It's fans are annoying.
>>
>>47288192
You run a campaign/session for them. If they're irredeemable faggots, they won't like it because it's different. If they're normal subhumans, they'll form an actual opinion on it and so be into it or not.

Regardless of the outcome, you've done almost all you can.

>>47290548
Shills and... I dunno, there's some weird bullshit going on regarding how it does everything but not always well and only with the right splats. I'm not sure exactly what goes wrong there, but it seems persistent and angry enough that it's probably a communication/semantics issue.
>>
>>47290548
It's a really shitty game people push as a meme for what people should play when they want to try something, except it does everything equally poorly.
>>
>>47290548
Jealousy.
>>
>>47290548

Mostly because it's the "cool" thing to do. You can dislike a game's fans and still find the game itself to be perfectly fine.
>>
>>47290601
This.

And I'm a fan
>>
>>47290548
Its a character creation game that serves as a barrier to roleplay.
>>
GURPS is great. It's not for everyone, but then neither is any other RPG.

People who "hate" it tend to have had bad experiences with it, or fail to understand what its actual purpose is and scrub away any positive accounts with a scrub brush of hyperbole (e.g. 'GURPS does everything, just shittily'); it's usually a failure on a basic comprehensive level to understand the system (which makes sense, since they generally haven't played it or only had a couple sessions with a poor GM).

tl;dr as with most games, people hate what they can't/won't understand. Those more enlightened may acknowledge that, while they do not like GURPS, it is a fine system for what it is.

And it's pretty great, in most respects.
>>
>>47290649
Found him
>>
>>47288192

Run it.
>>
>>47288192

What

>>47289812

Says. Remember you're going to have to do tons of prework for them too. Which can be to your benefit.

Also, ask them what their favourite prestige classes are.

Then make version of it at whatever point level you're starting at.

Like, Arcane Duelist: Imbuements, various weapon techniques, some spells, and some rogueishness

Or Shadowdancer, Shadow form, dark aspected magery, etc.
>>
The best way is to refuse to GM anything else. Make them choose between playing the system you want to run or having no game.

Then help them with everything they need help with. Go into the game assuming that they won't have read any of the rulebooks.

But that only works if there isn't anyone else to GM for them.
>>
>>47288192
Blunt force trauma to the head.
>>
>>47292428
Just because there are options doesn't mean you have to use them. Its fine for experienced players.

That being said yes, the whole game in general is too front-heavy - the average player doesn't want to learn so much crunch without any fluff.
>>
>>47290548
Because, yes, it can run damn near anything... it just probably won't be fun to play. Hope you like spreadsheets and digging through eight different books to find which rules apply to whatever situation you're in. (Okay, a bit of an exaggeration, but my point is that its ruleset is needlessly complicated and drains the fun out of it.)
>inb4 hurr, you're SUPPOSED to cherry-pick which rules to use or not use
>>
>>47294674
It's like you hate having people to play with.

>We should play GURPS
We don't really don't want to, Steve, it looks a bit too rules-heavy.
>Well, you're wrong and I'm not running anything else until we do GURPS!
That's not very reasonable. I mean, it's fine that you like it, but it doesn't look like something the rest of us would enjoy. C'mon, man.
>YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND!
>>
>>47288192
>forcedelf.jpg

Do you specifically try to make retarded posts?
>>
File: 1442267750988.png (1 MB, 861x1169) Image search: [Google]
1442267750988.png
1 MB, 861x1169
>>47290548
>>
>>47292496
>It's not for everyone, but the only people who hate it are those who just don't ~understand~ it :^)
>it feels good to be euphoric
I honestly like GURPS, I do, but personally I just can't stand arguments like these (in any context).
>>
>>47290548
GURPS 4e isn't written very well for new players. It throws in every option, like superpowers and stuff, right at the start. It's hard to know what's relevant and what to skip over if you're unfamiliar with the system.
>>
>>47290548
Recommending GURPS and saying GURPS sucks have become stupid memes on this board.

But GURPS is a pretty unnecessary system. It's not bad, but it's way more game than you need for most things. Using GURPS for most games is like using a tank helicopter to drive to Starbucks. Is it possible? Yes. Is it the best choice? Probably not.
>>
>>47297973

What kind of small person would not drive a tank helicopter to Starbucks if given the chance? Dare to live a little.
>>
>>47296301
GURPS Lite is 32 pages.
>>
>>47296086
I don't know. I kind of understand it, in this context.

As an example I don't like D&D at all and would never willingly play it; however, with the exception of 3.X I can acknowledge that it's actually a very well-made game and purpose-built to be excellent at what it does, and I don't know that any other system can accomplish the same exact goals without being objectively worse for the purpose.

The "enlightened" wording and all that is a bit smoke-up-the-arse, but I do get what's being said I think.
>>
Rolled 20 (1d20)

>>47294848
I'm running a GURPS game right now (a Magical Girls campaign) and the digging through eight books thing hasn't appeared even once so far. The only books we're using are the Basic Set and Sorcery and since we're running combat pretty lightly, they mainly just have to remember "I roll to dodge/block/parry and roll 3d6 under my weapon skill to attack". No shock rules, no bullshit penetrating modifiers, etc. I wish the more advanced rules in the basic set would've been presented as optional addons in a GURPS: Combat splatbook or something, but oh well.

The main flaws of GURPS are that build-a-character is presented as default and can be pretty overwhelming to newbies and the organization of the Basic Set is nightmare inducing, but once you get past those hurdles it's not so bad.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.