[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: spidermonk.jpg (380 KB, 1200x940) Image search: [Google]
spidermonk.jpg
380 KB, 1200x940
Spidermonks edition

Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

>New-ish official PDF
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27

Elder Dojo: >>47280041

What fun things have you done as a Monk, or seen a Monk do?
>>
>>47287670
>What fun things have you done as a Monk, or seen a Monk do?
Nearly kill the party Cleric, after he used Disguise Self to look like the enemy and flee.
>>
Rolled 4, 2, 4, 2, 4, 4, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 4, 6, 1, 5, 6, 3, 1, 5, 2 = 65 (20d6)

>go aaracokra
>grapple 4 large creatures
>fly 200 feet into the air using cunning action dash and standard action dash
>drop all 4 creatures for 20d6 bludgeoning damage each
>>
>>47287754
>all four creatures try to shove you prone while you're in the air.
>>
>>47287796
>as soon as a creature attempts a shove, end the grapple for free (see the last point of pic related)
>>
>>47287754
This is a milhouse, sorry bud but it will never be a meme
>>
>>47287754
>this shit that doesn't work is the best martials can do
laffo
>>
>>47287839
The other creatures help each other by grabbing the shoving creature and keeping him up.
>>
>>47287877
>you can release the target whenever you like (no action required)
Just drop them if they try it
>>
>>47287876
Nah, a decently built Battlemaster can outdamage it.
>>
>>47287897
They all grab onto you as well, while shoving you prone.
>>
>>47287670
Almost TPK the party by knocking them off the roof of a monastery precariously located atop the edge of a mountain. Luckily, this was an NPC. Unluckily, it was an NPC that was 15 levels higher than us.
>>
>>47287897
Are you running under the assumption that, before their grapple or shove attempt can resolve, you stating "I drop them" causes them to instantly plummet beyond reach of you and negates their action? Because you're a dingus.
>>
>>47287921
It's like you actually can't read.

>>47287905
Glad you brought that up, check out my archer fighter:

Battlemaster fighter
fighting style: archery
maneuver: precision attack
feats: crossbow expert, sharpshooter
20 dexterity

>declare sharpshooter, fire heavy crossbow
>hit: 1d10+15
>miss: roll precision attack superiority die, see above if hit
>drop heavy crossbow
>draw hand crossbow
>declare sharpshooter, fire hand crossbow
>hit: 1d6+15
>declare sharpshooter, fire hand crossbow
>hit: 1d6+15

total damage
3d10+2d6+75

minimum total damage

mean total damage

maximum total damage
>>
>>47287921
You don't need to shove. Being grappled reduces movement to zero, which is enough to cause a flying creature to fall. Nothing stops a grappled target from also grappling onto their grappler.
>>
>made a barbarian with magic initiate so I could get find familiar

I chose an octopus and plan for it to stay on my head. How do I keep it hydrated? Most of the travelling is going to be above water.
>>
>>47287905
It's against four creatures. A Battlemaster might have superior single target damage but they're not putting out 20d6 * 4. >>47287754 rolled about average and across all four creatures that's more than double >>47287948's maximum.
>>
File: kinematic eqn 1.png (2 KB, 193x55) Image search: [Google]
kinematic eqn 1.png
2 KB, 193x55
>>47287941
grapple check action = at least 2 seconds

d=(0.5)*(-10m/s/s)*(2s)^2
d=(0.5)*(-40m)
d=-20 meters
Hmmmm
>>
>>47287976
Stay exhausted from raging so you're constantly sweating.
>>
>>47287996
That isn't RAW though. Neither is grappling four enemies.
>>
>>47287754
Dashing just means you move twice your speed during your move action. Dashing twice does nothing.
>>
File: um1.png (71 KB, 170x247) Image search: [Google]
um1.png
71 KB, 170x247
> all this quibbling about broken builds and arguments over RAW like it's 3.5 again

So how long until sixth edition?
>>
>>47287996
>>47288022
Also, it's ignoring the upwards velocity they have equal to 2x your movespeed.
>>
>>47288008
fucking lol, this.

should have enough saline quality to sustain it as a marine creature also.

But in all honesty, just take Prestidigitation as one of the cantrips to make it constantly rain on it
>>
>>47287996
>only things that I want to occur in a vacuum do so
If a grapple attempt, which specifies no duration, has a timeframe, so does releasing a target. A dropped enemy who was being hoisted by you has momentum and would not immediately fall to the ground. You also shouldn't bring physics into this when you are a bird man carrying four guys.
>>
>>47288058
>>47288022
>What is relativity?
>hurrr
>>
>>47287991
That's mainly because >>47287948 is a ranged guy, not a Melee Greatsword/Battleaxe (depending on weather he's half-orc or not) with Great Weapon Master. Also he didn't account for critical hits, which falling damage can't do.
>>
>>47288080
except when it's their turn, you aren't moving.
>>
>>47288040
Actually, I'm wrong. I just looked it up and you gain extra movement, so you could dash twice to triple your movespeed.
>>
>>47288070
>A dropped enemy who was being hoisted by you has momentum
Again
>what is relativity? dur hurrr
At most, it has the same momentum as me at the instant I release it. Which means relative to me, it has, at most, 0kg*m/s momentum.
Try again

>You also shouldn't bring physics into this when you are a bird man carrying four guys.
RaW trumps physics in that case. This is Dungeons and Dragons. A world where a person can be stabbed by a dagger more than 100 times and still go about his day.
>>
>>47288126
Then RAW they would get to try to grab you before falling. And you wouldn't be able to grapple 4 people.
>>
>>47288101
Turns are an abstraction of real time combat in 5e. All the turns per round are supposed to take place in the same 6 seconds.
>>
>>47288126
>getting stabbed by a dagger 100 times
HP is an abstraction so getting hit and taking damage from a dagger attack isn't necessarily getting stabbed.
>>
>>47288144
Are you the fellow who is refusing to acknowledge the clause
>"you can release the target whenever you like (no action required)"
>>
>>47287670
>Coolest thing done as a monk

>Derailed a thread.

Obviously that's all monks are good for.
>>
>>47288203
The other guy would use his reaction to grab you.
>>
>>47288202
The dagger can cause damage to the individual more than 100 times and the individual can go about his day like nothing happened.
>>
>>47288228
What feature does he have that allows him to make a grapple check as a reaction?
>>
>>47288229
Except all the damage the dagger did.
>>
>>47288243
While he's being held aloft he holds his action to grab you triggered when you let go of him.
>>
>>47288203
I just don't see

>>47288243
the grapple check is part of the attack action. Since you're moving out of his space (you are flying up), he would get to make an opportunity attack against you.

Also, I'm the guy that doesn't see the relevance of it. You're still within range of the attack, and as has already been mentioned, the turns are an abstraction of time. He can make the attack within time, because it's something he can do in his turn.
>>
>>47288268
Then I don't let go of him until I'm ready to. At that point he has to contest me with 20 strength, expertise, and barbarian rage advantage
>>
>>47288292
Is your aarakocra monk is also a rogue and barbarian? Anyway he still grabs you, he just doesn't grapple you.
>>
>>47288270
>Since you're moving out of his space (you are flying up), he would get to make an opportunity attack against you.
No. You can only take opportunity attacks if the creature uses its movement, action, bonus action, or reaction to move away from your threat range. If I'm dropping him on his turn (no action required) then those conditions are not met.

>>47288331
He is rogue and barbarian but I was just thinking about it now that we're discussing it so openly and I'm figuring he'll take rogue2/barb1/monkx for Slow Fall.
>>
Rolled 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 4, 2, 2, 1, 4, 2, 4, 2, 1, 2, 2, 4, 4, 5, 3 = 48 (20d6)

>>47288331
>Anyway he still grabs you, he just doesn't grapple you
Grabbing is exactly what a grapple check is
>>
>>47288374
the movement action takes place at the same time as the attack, since time everything is taking place at the same time ;)
>>
>>47288243
He doesn't have to use his reaction; he's already using his action to attempt to grapple you. You're the one reacting to him, and just because you don't have to use your action to let go doesn't mean his grapple attempt wouldn't be resolved first.

Remember kids: the primary problem with any Uberbuild is that they're universally made by a person with the creative capacity of a Turing machine.
>>
>>47288402
Holy shit all those 1s.
>>
>>47288445
i liked my spidermonk jank build and thought it was somewhat creative. D*:
>>
>>47288374
If you're dropping him during your turn, then you are either ending your turn after dropping him without moving additionally, or else dropping him then spending movement. In the first case, he hangs in mid air until his turn, at which point he can try to grab you before he falls. In the second case, you are voluntarily moving away from him and he gets an opportunity attack.

Instead of just dropping the guy, use your action to shove him 5 ft from you. Then he has nothing to grab ahold of.
>>
>>47288445
>Remember kids: the primary problem with any Uberbuild is that they're universally made by a person with the creative capacity of a Turing machine.
>"I'll prove him wrong by calling him names!"
Okay.

>You're the one reacting to him, and just because you don't have to use your action to let go doesn't mean his grapple attempt wouldn't be resolved first.
>a grapple check will take at least 2 seconds
>>47287996
>he'll be at least about 20 meters away from me before two seconds are up (a bit less because air resistance)
>>
>>47288374

Kind of MAD though, since you need at least 13 Strength, Dex, and Wisdom. In Point Buy it means you'll have less points for your Constitution/Wisdom or Dex meaning your AC will suffer either way since you need more points. It's also entirely up to GM fiat.
>>
Rolled 1, 4, 1, 2, 1, 1, 6, 5, 3, 5, 6, 4, 1, 6, 6, 6, 5, 2, 3, 1 = 69 (20d6)

>>47288466
>he hangs in mid air until his turn
Right...
>>
>>47288504
>a grapple check will take at least 2 seconds
Quote the PHB on this. Next quote the PHB on where it says disentangling from someone you've grappled doesn't also take 2 seconds.
>>
>>47288510
Ah, yeah. So rogue and barb or monk.
>>
>>47288402
Grappling is like a wrestling pin to reduce someone's movement to zero. Grabbing would just be reaching out and snatching some bit of their clothes or gripping their arm or leg. Not enough to grapple them but enough to hold on to stop from falling.
>>
>>47288523
According to the rules, when does a character in mid-air start falling? It doesn't say, so a reasonable time would be at some point during their turn. Since you can use your action before, after, or during movement, he can try to grab you at the beginning of his turn. If he fails, then he falls.
>>
>>47288462
If I recall correctly (though the sheer glut of shitposts makes it hard), yours was never billed as God-tier.

You aren't waving your Aaracokra around and accusing anybody who doesn't like it off being a rules-lawyering sperglord, so enjoy your Spiderman.
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Feats_Grappler.png (354 KB, 474x484) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Feats_Grappler.png
354 KB, 474x484
>>47288535
Grapple check requires an action. Once you've expended an action, your turn (6 seconds) is up. I'm pulling the number out of my ass and being generous by making it so low.

"I'd like to release him now" = instantaneous

>>47288546
Except that's wrong because a pin restrains both targets. See pic related. A grapple in dnd is done with a single hand and you can still walk/move while grappling a target.
>>
>>47287754
you can't grapple 4 creatures and fly upwards with them. You do have a fucking carry limit.
>>
>>47288504
Since you're so fond of screenshots, care to provide caps that state:
- any action I choose to take immediately interrupts that of another creature
- a grapple check explicitly takes 2 seconds

> Y-you can't prove a-anything!
Neither can you.
>>
>>47288462

I thought it was cool too. Druid monk is a sweet combo for sure, although I can't imagine playing it. The Druid capstone just seems like a lot of fun, getting to turn into whatever animal you can think of all the time forever.
>>
Rolled 5, 6, 4, 5, 2, 1, 1, 2, 4, 5, 1, 3, 5, 2, 2, 1, 5, 2, 4, 3 = 63 (20d6)

>>47288595
Lol at the fact that it took the shitposters this long to realize this.

The "four large creatures" bit was just for keks, but the rest of the build does hold. Carry up to four creatures of large or smaller that sum up to a number less than your carry weight.
>>
>>47288592
A grapple subjects the target to the grappled condition. You could still reach out and grab something without grappling it.
>>
>>47288592
> If I cite figures I made up, I can never be wrong
Truly you've set an intellectual standard for us all.
>>
I'd say a Pegasus is a mount for a Lawful Good Paladin, so what would be a sutiable mount for a Chaotic Good Paladin? Or Neutral Good?
>>
>>47288645
>admit that one of the numbers I'm using is coming off the top of my head and can't be substantiated
>you: "HA!!! GOTCHA!!!!"
ok.
>>
>>47288680
> I admitted it, so it's off-limits
Likewise, OK.
>>
>>47288680
Your number is bullshit. a man can reach out and grab someone in an instant if they're fast. The rest of the grapple time is just you resisting, trying to break their grip before they solidify it.

>>47288623
That's why I'd like to see the druid/monk archetype fleshed out. I still think Ki points are the way to limit it. You don't want it to be unlimited at the start, and you don't want it to be too limited at all. Ki points give a nice progression, that also give the monk functionally unlimited transformations at level 20 with the monk capstone.
>>
>>47288767
>Your number is bullshit. a man can reach out and grab someone in an instant if they're fast.
Would you say half a second is fair?
>>
>>47288680
So basically, you can be an aarakocra monk rogue barbarian, grab and grapple someone, dash twice to fly up into the air, and then let go of them. Then on their turn, they can try to grapple you in midair before they fall.
>>
>>47288767

I don't know if it deserves it's own archetype but I don't wouldn't be necessarily disappointed either. I think if the multi class combo captures it well enough than it's better to let it be captured by Multiclass.

There's precedent for it with Arcane Tricksters and Eldritch Knights but Arcane Tricksters (at the very least imo) manage to feel different from a Wizard/Rogue.
>>
>>47288788
I would say the time it takes depends on the level of training and talent which means letting them make an attack roll regardless of any other factors best captures the intricacies of the situation.
>>
Rolled 1, 1, 3, 3, 2, 3, 3, 2, 2, 5, 4, 2, 4, 2, 4, 2, 6, 3, 4, 3 = 59 (20d6)

>>47288806
I'm disinclined to accept it, but I would probably concede to that being a fair ruling.

>>47288852
Also a fair way to put it.

Although, if they're literally dangling from the aarakocra before they're dropped, and even if they take 0.3 seconds to realize they're falling and attempt a grapple, their outstretched arm will be approximately a meter away from me.
>>
If you're holding someone over the side of a really tall building, the guy won't get to use his reaction to grab you or anything else before he falls and takes damage, so why would he be able to do it when you're flying with him?

That being said, grappling four people is also immensely retarded, so cut that shit out too.
>>
>>47288920
>even if they take 0.3 seconds to realize they're falling and attempt a grapple, their outstretched arm will be approximately a meter away from me.
How do you know they're trying to grapple you before they do it?

What cue are you acting on that compels you to end your grapple and drop them?
>>
>>47288932
In this scenario, the man being hung is making an attempt, and the world's strongest bird is reacting (in the colloquial sense, not using an actual game reaction) by dropping him. So it's a simple test of speed and skill of attack versus reflexes, which to me screams: do a an attack roll versus AC.
>>
>>47288970

Yeah yeah. Interrupts were an archaic Magic mechanic, they've no business in D&D 5e and I don't care how much the other guy whines about it. Bosses can't even interrupt another creature's action with legendary actions, why would joe schmoe loser monk be able to do it?

>B-but muh no action required!

You don't need to use an action to use a broom and sweep the floor either, does that mean you could sweep the entire planet instantaneously? No, of course not.
>>
>>47288920
It's possible mechanically, therefore it doesn't matter how improbable it is thematically. If he rolls and succeeds with his grapple check, he was fast enough to grab you. If he fails, then he wasn't fast enough and start falling.
>>
>>47288943
Good point. It would be heavy rules lawyering but if I was forced to hold my side of the argument, I'd say
>DM says he's going to make a grapple attempt
>"Okay, I drop him"

But I'll concede, there's not really an in universe trigger that would occur that could reliably be used to tell when they will attempt a grapple. But is a creature being lifted like 50 feet into the air in the course of a few seconds really going to be like:
>"Hmm, I'm being grappled and lifted into the air"
>"What condition can I impose on the birdman to reduce his speed to 0?"
>"Ah! Yes, I'll grapple check/shove him!"
>"And I will just take the fall damage"

They'll probably realistically
>wisdom saving throw, fear condition on a fail
>run their mind through "what's on my person, what spells do I have, what can I possibly utilize to not die?"
>>
>>47288920
What you should do it grapple someone, shove them prone for 0 movement and advantage, with them having disadvantage and no way to stand. Then fly up, which doesn't technically get rid of their prone status. Then shove them in midair, which pushes them 5 ft. from you, giving them nothing to grab ahold of on their turn.

On each of their turns they can try to break the grapple or grapple you back, but they have disadvantage and you have advantage, meaning it's pretty unlikely they will succeed. If they do, however, both you and them are grappled in midair and both of you go piledriving into the ground.
>>
>>47289104
My first instinct if I was being lifted into the air would be to fight back in the first 10-20 feet, then to grab on as hard as I can after that.
>>
File: actions in combat use an object.png (905 KB, 1220x373) Image search: [Google]
actions in combat use an object.png
905 KB, 1220x373
>>47289143
>>47289136
>>47289049

>>47289029
>>B-but muh no action required!
Literally the rule, dumbass.
>You don't need to use an action to use a broom and sweep the floor either, does that mean you could sweep the entire planet instantaneously?
Holy shit, lol, I never thought someone would come up with an argument this stupid.
>you don't need to use an action to use a broom
>you don't need to use an action to [Use an Object]
Congratulations, you are literally the stupidest person of the thread so far!
>>
>>47289366

>>47289143
>>47289136
>>47289049
Oops, forgot to go back and reply to these.
I'll concede on the enemy not getting to make a grapple check. To combat that though, either go full rogue with Feather Fall from Lvl3 Arcane Trickster or Rogue1/Monkx for Slow Fall.
>>
Human Arcane Trickster Rogue Grappler:
>Grappler Feat
to grant myself advantage

or
>Find Familiar, flying snake, on all of the snake's turns he flies adjacent to the target, takes the Help action, then flies away
to grant myself advantage

The second option sounds much better to me.
Then I can take either an ASI or a half ASI like heavy armor master.
>>
File: 1428649985994.jpg (27 KB, 620x406) Image search: [Google]
1428649985994.jpg
27 KB, 620x406
What's people's obsession with grappling? It doesn't even seem that good.
>>
>>47289593
It lets you fly up into the air and drop people i guess?
Nothing stops them from just shanking you with their regular attacks while you waste your turn grappling them.
>>
>>47289366
>Literally the rule, dumbass.
Ok, but they can't do anything on a turn that isn't theirs unless it's a reaction, which it is not by RAW.
>>
Is there any way possible to access the WotC 4e character builder if you no longer have a subscription to D&D Insider? Just got an invite to a 4e game with some friends and want to build something without having to go to my storage unit for my old books.
>>
>>47289654
Unless there's an exception to the rule, which there obviously is. It's like you're being stupid intentionally.
>>
File: where do you think we are.png (651 KB, 1067x800) Image search: [Google]
where do you think we are.png
651 KB, 1067x800
>>47289656
>>
>>47289677
Yes, but there's no 4e specific thread and on a Venn diagram of relevant interests there'd be some overlap.
>>
>>47289593
Grappling+shoving prone is a strong combo that any class can do (with varying degrees of effectiveness).
>>
>>47289656
I recommend downloading the 5e rulebooks from the OP's copypasta and play a version of D&D that doesn't need character-building tools more complicated than a paper and pencil.
>>
What are some fun bard tricks? I want to play a trickster jack of all trades character.
>>
>>47290026
If the choice of game was mine to make I would. But as it is I've been invited to a game already in progress and I'm not going to be That Guy who suggests a system change when what they're playing seems to be working for them.
>>
Okay, I'm working on a monastic tradition discussed in this thread and earlier in the last one. The basic idea is monks that pick up fighting styles like "spider-style" or "coyote-style", and instead of fighting in human form, gain the ability to transform into their chosen forms. So a spider-style monk might transform into a giant steeder.

I think I want to structure it like this: the monk picks a style at levels 3, 6,11, and 17. Each style confers a transformation, and a passive benefit that is always active.

Thoughts?
>>
>>47290410
Sounds like it could get sprawling real quick. I was kind of a fan of your (?) proposal to have it essentially be form-limited wild shape, but what you describe sounds like it would unique, per-style rules.

Dunno, maybe I need to see it to believe it.
>>
>>47290477
>would unique
Would require** unique...
I fucked up.
>>
>>47290477
No, that's a good point.

How about this: each level 3/6/11/17 feature grants you an additional transformation form (limits to be determined), and also an addtional passive feature that is the same regardless of transformation.
>>
>>47289593
It's a way of fighting that doesn't involve actually fighting, and so trying to make it better than fighting is something people are always keen to do for whatever reason. Because a sword if too good for them I suppose.
>>
>>47290533
Thinking about it, were I you, I'd probably look to Totem Barb for inspiration. Have styles enhance existing monk features. Wildshape optional, but probably mid-level and not as strong as Druid's.

I like the idea of a spider-style that gives you a third FoB strike if you hit with the other 2.
>>
File: Zangief-piledriver-art.png (158 KB, 278x472) Image search: [Google]
Zangief-piledriver-art.png
158 KB, 278x472
>>47289593

it's just so badass
>>
>>47289593

It's a form of battlefield control that doesn't use magic.
>>
>>47290677
So what are some good styles for this?

Spider is in.
Tiger?
Mantis?
Monkey?
>>
>>47290869
I guess I could just go with the entire zodiac for inspiration.
>>
>>47290869
>>47290946
Godspeed, buddy.
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Feats_Heavy-Armor-Master.png (191 KB, 400x191) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Feats_Heavy-Armor-Master.png
191 KB, 400x191
What's tg's opinion of this feat?

Roll is greatsword swing damage reduced by the feat.
>>
Rolled 1, 5 = 6 (2d6)

>-3
>>47291224
Because "dice+2d6-3" doesn't output apparently.
>>
I need a second opinion on this.

So, DM had us roll up Lv10 characters. I took the blade pact for warlock, and then the Defensive Duelist feat. According to the book, duelist needs to be a finesse wep. Since my pact wep is magical, DM says I can't use feat with it because it doesn't count as finesse anymore. Is he right or wrong?
>>
>>47291224
It seems like a good feat, but it's so boring that I have a hard time imagining I'd ever take it
>>
>>47291224
It's not a bad feat if you're a tank. It's great early on at levels 1-5, but it's not so great later on.
>>
When thri-kreen get released (if they even do), will they be able to load a pair of hand crossbows with their second pair of arms?

Can they use their secondary arms for somatic components of spells?
>>
>>47291247
He's wrong if the weapon has the finesse trait. Just because it's magical doesn't mean a rapier isn't a rapier. It means it's a magical rapier.
>>
>>47291247
Magic has nothing to do with finesse. So long as the weapon type has the finesse quality it is a finesse weapon.

I have no idea how someone would even reach that conclusion
>>
>>47291263
probs
>>
>>47291224
It's an extra 3 hit points for every non-magical BPS hit you take. It's honestly pretty good.

>>47291247
Your DM is an idiot.
>>
>>47291263
In the interest of balance the mechanical benefits of second pair of arms will probably have fairly specific limitations (or amount to some racial bonus actions if I had to guess), but I think RAW so long as you have a free hand you're fine for somatic and reaching for material components
>>
>>47291291
It doesn't specify non magical piercing /slashing /bludgeoning
>>
>>47291440
Sorry, it specifies only BPS dealt by non-magical weapons, not non-magical BPS in general.
>>
>>47291440
>>47291291
Oh crap wait I'm literally blind, sorry anon
>>
>>47291249
Most useful feats are really. If it's fluffy it's also bound to be really niche.
>>
>>47291224
Depends on the levels you play at. It's decent up to about level 10ish. Plenty of higher CR creatures have a trait that makes their attacks count as magical and bypass the feat.
>>
>>47291544
i wish more feats like that scaled with level, although I guess many are always good.
>>
>>47291760
I've been experimenting with items that do stuff like "once per day, you can add xd6 damage (x = proficiency bonus)" and I'm liking the effect it has on the game. Heavy Armor Master could probably use that treatment.
>>
>>47289593
Grappling is amazing.
This birdfaggot is not.
>>
So, is Arcane Trickster confirmed the Jack-of-all-Rogue-Archetypes?

Thief's main things: Fast Hands (3rd lvl) and Supreme Sneak (9th lvl)
Arcane Trickster:
>Mage Hand Legerdemain (3rd lvl) to do everything Fast Hands can do from a distance
>Haste (14th lvl) for doubled movement speed, +2AC, advantage on saving throws, and an additional action each turn - all for 10 turns (while concentration is maintained)

Swashbuckler's main things: Fancy Footwork (3rd lvl) and Rakish Audacity (3rd lvl) (let's do Elegant Maneuver (13th lvl) as well)
Arcane Trickster:
>Take the mobile feat just like basically every other rogue does (1st or 4th lvl)
>Find Familiar (3rd lvl), choose flying snake; every turn, have the snake fly adjacent to your target, use the help action, and fly away for free Sneak Attack (with advantage)
>Haste (14th lvl) as above, you get advantage on dex saves for 10 turns

Mastermind's main things: Master of Tactics (3rd lvl) and Misdirection (13th lvl)
Arcane Trickster:
>Find Familiar (3rd lvl), flying snake; your familiar can use the help action for anyone within 55 feet of it once per round without using any of your actions
>Shield (8th lvl if you take FF at 3rd) grants +5AC until your next turn as a reaction to being hit by an attack (admittedly, the Trickster loses to the Mastermind here)

(1/2)
>>
>>47292149

Assassin's main things: Assassinate (3rd lvl) and Death Strike (17th level)
Arcane Trickster:
>Sleep spell (3rd lvl) autocrits on the targets you put to sleep (admittedly this doesn't work very well for higher level encounters - sleep dice cast at: 1st level - 5d8 (mean 22.5HP worth of sleep), 2nd level - 7d8(mean 31.5HP worth of sleep), 3rd - 9d8(mean 40.5HP worth of sleep), 4th - 11d8(mean 49.5HP worth of sleep))
>Bestow Curse (14th lvl or 20th lvl if you wish to take Haste instead) to incur a Wisdom saving throw as opposed to Death Strike's con saving throw; on a fail, choose the "do nothing" curse - the creature makes a wisdom saving throw at the start of each turn and on a fail it wastes it action by doing nothing - combine this with Find Familiar Help action and you get up to 10 turns of free sneak attack safe from damage which can hold up to a single turn of quadruple sneak attack safe from damage

(2/2)
>>47292077
People are still butthurt at my meme build, fucking lol. Stay mad, bitch boy.
>>
>>47292177
No one's butthurt about your "meme build", they're just telling you it doesn't work and you're so dumb you keep arguing about it. You're like a piñata that drops (You)s instead of candy.
>>
>>47292177
>>47292149

you really do this every thread don't you

In your first analysis you don't mention that Thief can use items as a bonus action with fast hands, which is a huge deal and what sets it apart from the arcane trickster's enhanced mage hand.

AT is probably better than Assassin out of crit cheese builds and Mastermind but I don't think it's the AT's fault.
>>
>>47292248
As a thread, we worked it out so that it works

See >>47289399
and >>47288636

Have a shit day and remember to stay mad, faggot
>>
>>47292149
Here's your (You)

The advantages to the thief over the arcane trickster in your scenario are they don't have to deal with ever using an action to set up Fast Hands. Mage hand has a 1 minute duration. Fast Hands can also use items. Supreme Sneak and Second Story Work come online much earlier than Haste, at levels people are more likely to play.

Familiars are easily killed by stray aoe attacks unless you're using your action to hide it and bring it out at appropriate times.

Sleep is a laughably pathetic spell and you should feel bad using it in argument fighting anything with a CR of 1 or higher.

So yeah Arcane Trickster can do all that stuff but it doesn't invalidate the other archetypes since you're trading off action economy to do it.
>>
>>47292149
Thief can also use any magic item he wants no matter the requirements. Plus I've never seen a rogue take mobile before, I've only seen monks take it.

AT is a very nice archetype but I wouldn't call it the Jack of all trades.
>>
>>47292331
>we worked it out so that none of the ridiculous shit I bragged about was possible and it's just standard grappling
Sick build, brosef.
>>
>>47292316
>you don't mention that Thief can use items as a bonus action with fast hands, which is a huge deal and what sets it apart from the arcane trickster's enhanced mage hand.
It's like you actually can't read!

>>47292367
>Fast Hands can also use items.
Woah, it's like you can't read either!

>all that other bullshit
>"well under the conditions a, b, c, d, and e, the other archetype does it WAY better... heh."
Great job.
>>
File: xD.png (18 KB, 120x120) Image search: [Google]
xD.png
18 KB, 120x120
>>47292444
>"I am literally incapable of reading"
Sick build, brosef.
>>
>>47292448
Show me where a Mage Hand can use a Healer's Kit.
>>
File: Mage-Hand_Healers-Kit.png (62 KB, 817x787) Image search: [Google]
Mage-Hand_Healers-Kit.png
62 KB, 817x787
>>47292492
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/10/11/can-mage-hand-use-a-healers-kit-to-stabilize-at-range/

Show me where your butt hurts the most.
>>
>>47292535
Show me where Mage Hand can activate a magic item.
>>
>>47292535
>http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/10/11/can-mage-hand-use-a-healers-kit-to-stabilize-at-range/

So the game's designer, who normally cites explicit rules, talks about his own personal ruling and that proves your point.
>>
>>47292448
>Use your action
Huh... I thought we were talking about a bonus action?

I wonder who's got problems reading...
>>
>>47292560
It le can't!!! Looks like you moved the goal post past my ball finally!!! Well, time to pack my bags, all those magic items the thief can activate invalidates my entire post.
>>
>>47292448

Fast Hands works with kits and other items immediately (and doesn't have to be cast) and magic items later in the game. Getting to use Magic Items as a bonus action is probably what the Thief was designed around. Maybe that makes them a little more specializes than Arcane Tricksters, but that isn't necessarily worse either.
>>
>>47292594
Nice goal post moving. Thief is totally useless even though there are times a thief can do something an arcane trickster can't.
>>
File: 1432236715093.jpg (245 KB, 650x919) Image search: [Google]
1432236715093.jpg
245 KB, 650x919
>>47287670
Seriously though, where is that Lovecraft Homebrew?
>>
File: mage hand leger.png (475 KB, 552x463) Image search: [Google]
mage hand leger.png
475 KB, 552x463
>>47292583
LITERALLY CAN'T READ
I
T
E
RALLY CAN'T READ
>>
>>47292535
You still can't use mage hand to use the healers kit. Basically you lose both your offhand and your mage hand trying to use a healers kit.

Also, thief rogue can use twice as many magic items as arcane trickster.
>>
>>47292711
Can't *just* use...

My bad. Typo.
>>
>>47292650
I'll consider you buttblasted and out of the discussion.

>>47292581
Buttblasted, no argument left after being explicitly proven wrong. Out of the discussion.

>>47292711
Except you literally can. It's right in the Spell Description. Can you also not read?

>lose your offhand and your mage hand
Where did you even get this from? Fucking lol.

>>47292630
Mage Hand Legerdemain can be used with kits and items as well, but youa re right it doesn't need to be cast once every 10 turns.
>>
>>47287754
>A Battlemaster might have superior single target damage but they're not putting out 20d6 * 4.
Neither is this dumbass monk that thinks it's going to successfully grapple four creatures over several rounds to pull them into the air. Especially once you consider that the dumbass monk still has an encumbrance limit, no matter how many creatures it can grapple at once, and there is no way in hell it can physically lift four large creatures at all. It probably can't even manage one large creature just based on weight alone, since monks are a Dex/Wis class with no Str required.
>>
File: nodignity.jpg (72 KB, 222x226) Image search: [Google]
nodignity.jpg
72 KB, 222x226
I didn't think we'd get an argument dumber than three sneak attacks, but then we had flying grapplers right after, and now we're getting into mage land legaydemain.

You're all terrible. Here are some new topics for you.
>Who's the best FR God and why? The worst?
>Caster supremacy: True? False? Gay?
>Which is the better setting, Prehistoric, Antediluvian, or Post-Apocalyptic?
>Robots: great party members or greatest party members?
>How do you annoy Strahd?
>Cowboys vs. Indians or Romans vs. Celts?
>Why is Chaotic Neutral the worst alignment? Are you a faggot for using an alignment system still?
>Why can casters make entire demiplanes with permanent magical castles populated by an army of clones with reality-breaking powers but not a permanent +2 sword?
>Which race spells the most trouble when a new player shows up with it?
>>
>>47287754
>>47292780

Comments are hard. Meant to reply to >>47287991, sorry.
>>
>>47292791
>How do you annoy Strahd?
Wildshape into an ape and throw your poop at him.
>>
>>47292791
You want dumb arguments? I'll give you dumb arguments.

Mage Hand can't be used to drop a dagger on someone.
>>
>>47292810
Why not? It can interact with objects. So why can't it out-turn a bag of 9 daggers while hovering overtop of a creature?
>>
>>47292774

>you're right that it doesn't need to be cast once every 10 turns

and can't use magic items. Of my two arguments ("Mage Hand isn't always up" and "Mage Hand can't use magic items") the latter is definitely the more important one.
>>
>>47287976
Look for a Wizard cantrip that creates water in some way... you're getting two cantrips along with your familiar anyway. If not, talk to your DM about creating one, maybe you can work something out.
>>
>>47292839
>a bag of nine daggers
From now on I'm throwing quivers of javelins instead of individual javelins
>>
>>47292851
Yes, that too, my bad (meant to regard that part as well, just forgot).

What exactly does that entail?
>put up a cloak of elven kind hood
>activate a wand of [spell]
Pls post more???

It does seem quite powerful. Would love to play a thief with a collection of rechargeable wands.
>>
>>47292535
>>47292711
>>47292760
>>47292774
Except the man you just quoted a bit ago said mage hand could only use a healers kit it's "not" holding. Which means you either have to have it use a healers kit lying on the ground or you have to pull out out and have the hand use it also in both cases the healers kit has to be next to the person your using it on for the hand to grab the stuff, which means you will pretty much always be next to your mage hand when doing this. Learn to read yourself, or just go back to /B/ and leave us in peace.
>>
>>47292868
Prestidigitation
>>
>>47292895

The potential is there. This kind of depends on the DM too. That's why I say Thief is more situational but not necessarily worse.

I haven't gone through the DMG myself so I don't know what good potentially abuse able magic items you might be able to find just in the guide itself.
>>
>>47292897
>Give all party members a Healer's Kit that hangs off their belt
>cost: 1gp per kit (each kit gets 10 uses)
You were saying?
For you, not a learn to read, but instead: learn to problem solve
>>
>>47292953
>1gp
Meant 5gp :)
>>
Mage Hand Legerdemain can't be used with Healer's Kits because they are magical items.

How else are you going to explain patching up a dying person in six seconds? You think you could even expose a wound in that time? The PHB says they contain herbs, bandages, and splints. You're not putting a spint or packing and binding an oozing wound in six seconds. The most you could do is stuff some fucking herbs into the most obvious and grievous wound, and if that's enough to stop them from dying every round without also causing more damage in the process, those herbs must CLEARLY be fucking magical. Last time I checked, throwing rosemary and oregano on a cut didn't make it feel better.
>>
>>47293005
See
>>47292535
>>
>>47293039
>Mr. You Can't Throw Two Knives From Your Belt In One Turn Without Dual Wielder
Crawford is the sort of DM who'd rule you need to use your bonus action to talk to your party members, and only with 12 words or less.

Nice to see you've got no argument, though.
>>
>>47293005
Barbarians can't take half-damage from weapon attacks because weapons are magical items.

How else are you going to explain a person getting stabbed by a dagger hundreds of times in a day and living with no drawbacks? You think you would even have any blood left after being stabbed that many times? The PHB says that they deal bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage. You're not taking a hundred throwing knives in your chest in a day and living to tell the tale. The most you could do is take maybe 20 stabs in the chest, and if that's not enough to kill a man, those weapons must CLEARLY be fucking magical. Last time I checked, throwing a knife into a man's gut killed him.
>>
Speaking as someone who has started a lot of stupid arguments in these threads, I have to say, the current guy is doing a great job.

Keep it up!

Also, transforming monk guy reporting in. I think I've narrowed it down: to these animals

• Spider
• Vulture
• Bat
• Eel
• Toad
• (Bombardier) Beetle
• Boar

I'm basing this on a setting I'm making for my players, but I tried to pick animals that would lend themselves to different niches.

Suggestions or thoughts?
>>
>>47292560
>>47293005
Healer's kits aren't magic items you fuck.
>>
>>47293143
>hitpoints are physical damage
This hasn't been true since OD&D, son.
>>
>>47292791
>Caster supremacy: True? False? Gay?

not too bad in 5e. most groups will never reach the level at which it begins to really kick in, and martials (with maybe a dip in warlock here and there) utterly dominate at mid levels

>Which is the better setting, Prehistoric, Antediluvian, or Post-Apocalyptic?

what do you consider antediluvian? I really really like Dark Sun
>>
>>47293143
>Last time I checked, throwing a knife into a man's gut killed him.

Barbarians are superhuman, the PHB says it outright.
>>
>>47293174
Sumeria, Babylon, Hyperborea (Conan), Atlantis. So Athas mostly fits.
>>
>>47293207
Then why can't they jump this 20 foot gap? Checkmate, martials.
>>
>>47293244
Selective Verisimilitude!
>>
>>47293174
Caster supremacy in 5E isn't about who's most useful in combat. There's more to the game than stabbing halflings.
>>
>>47293244
Question, why can't your maritals jump a 20 foot gap but my group can? Every DM I've played with in my area has done jumping as such: you can automatically jump a distance of feet equal to your str score. For large gaps exceeding your str, you can roll athletics and add half your result to your str score. Are they just using a houserule without me realizing or did your DM gimp martials potential?
>>
>>47293244
The gods capped their jumping in order to prevent barbarians from leaping into heaven and sacking their deific palaces (again).
>>
>>47292839
Because that's attacking someone
>>
>>47293386
It's activating a trap.
>>
File: versimilitude.jpg (59 KB, 736x293) Image search: [Google]
versimilitude.jpg
59 KB, 736x293
>>47293359
>>
>>47293399
So dumping out a bag of daggers is a trap now? Interesting
>>
>>47293412
Yes. That is why I said exactly that.
>>
>>47293359
>playing with badwrong DMs breaking RAW for the sake of "fun"
It's your kind of people that got us saddled with 4e.
>>
>>47293399
So if someone stood on a ladder above you and intentionally dropped sharp weaons on you, you wouldn't press charges for assault?
>>
>>47293439
That's battery. Assault is SAYING "I'm going to drop a bunch of fucking knives on you, punk."
>>
>>47293409

That's really too bad. The world record is just a hair under 30 feet, and I like to think that a character with a 20 in a score can at least achieve world record levels. Maybe Strength score x 1.5 would be better.
>>
>>47293138
Explain to me how you'd use one hand to both hold a healer's kit and use it at the same time.
>>
File: 5e athletics.png (220 KB, 353x235) Image search: [Google]
5e athletics.png
220 KB, 353x235
>>47293359
>>47293244
Reminder that one of the explicit uses of the Athletics skill is jumping unusually long distances.

Your normal long jump distance is simply how far you can jump without making a check.
>>
>>47293429

>Making up your own house rules is literally Hitler
>>
>>47293429
Last line. Not sure why they only included that for high jump though.

>>47293439
I would, but that doesn't mean that the used their muscles to jam a knife into me or toss a knife directionally (actions which in game would require an Attack roll).
>>
>>47293501
>your DM might (if he feels like babying your sorry asses for picking an inferior non-casting class)
>>
>>47293486
Exactly. You literally can't. Ever tried to wrap a bandage with just one hand? It sucks, especially if it's not even your own, responsive limb you're wrapping, but some dying mope on the ground. You're definitely taking longer than six seconds now. To get both hands, you'd have to drop the kit, but now you can't Use it.

Clearly the bag's contents are magically animated and self-applying.
>>
>>47293481
You're forgetting the several abilities that certain martial classes have that increase their jumping distance. Plus, the description of the Athletics skill specifically says that you can use it to "jump an unusually long distance", though it doesn't give any specific rule so it'd be up to the DM how much longer you can jump that way.
>>
>>47293544
>several abilities that certain martial classes have that increase their jumping distance
Not doubting you, but which ones?
>>
Would you let a Halfling/Gnome character ignore the disadvantage of using heavy weps like a halbred based soley on the fact that he has 20 strength? I want to try out a halfling fighter because I find that having a fighting style that consists of kneecapping everyone with a greatsword is hillarious
>>
>>47293568
Off the top of my head, I know the Champion Fighter and the Thief Rogue both have abilities that increase their jump distance. I seem to recall the Barbarian having one, but that might have been part of the playtest, I can't remember for sure.
>>
>>47293614
It's not just about strength, it's about balance and leverage. A full-size polearm is just too long for a small character to be able to control it properly, no matter how strong you are.
>>
>>47293614
Just get a specially crafted Halfling/Gnome sized halberd.

(Personally I'd go for an axe for flavor reasons, but that's really up to you)
>>
>>47293614
Part of the problem is height, not strength.

If you're swinging a greatsword around that's taller than you are, you run into problems with traditional sheaths, making any kind of vertical swing, etc.

So what I'd do is let you develop a new fighting style to use them that's focused more on swings from side to side and thrusts. You'd have to spend time practicing it.
>>
>>47293647
>a character who could theoretically lift cars with their pinky could never handle a five foot stick
>>
>>47293707
> 20 Strength
> 300 pound carrying capacity
> lifting cars at all

Fuck off.
>>
>>47293743
>no matter how strong >>47293647
>>
>>47293707
I think you're over-estimating what a score of 20 means.
Just the ability to swing it doesn't mean they can wield it properly- they'll lack the finesse just because of size.

Again, just get a specifically smaller halberd. You lose out on, what, 1d2 damage?
>>
>>47293614
Small races having penalties with larger weapons is a hold-over from editions where the Small size conferred more benefits, like bonus AC, AB, and skill ranks.

In 5E, Small creatures, uh...
uh...
can squeeze through the spaces of some creatures and use smaller objects for conealment / cover.
>>
>>47293568
Monk can spend a ki point to jump double distance, so up to 40 feet

Also, the dmg allows for up to 20 feet long jumps without a check, any longer than that is theoretically still possible with a check, say dc15 for 25 feet and dc20 for 30?
>>
>>47293544
>You're forgetting the several abilities that certain martial classes have that increase their jumping distance.

If you're talking about stuff like the champion gets those are basically just ribbons, the increase is marginal to the point I doubt it would ever be relevant in most games.
>>
>>47293824
>tfw there's no ribbon that allows martials to be interesting
Feels good being magic.
>>
>>47293789
The way I do it is every foot past your no check number is one more to the DC, which starts at 10.
>>
Is Alert broken?
>>
>>47294042
That's pretty much exactly what I said anon, except you worded it better
>>
Someone decide for me if I want to roll a half-orc hothead (think Sonny Corleone I guess) or a elf/half-elf/human noble who's a pretty boy noble that's good at fencing.
>>
>>47294062
How do you expect it to break the game?
>>
>>47294211
The can't be surprised portion has consistently ruined my ambushes.
>>
>>47294062
Only if you're a That DM that relies heavily on ambu--

>>47294237
Well there you go.
>>
>>47294062
>rogue
>Observant feat
>expertise in perception and investigation
>Linguist feat
>expertise in (custom) ciphers
>level 20
>18 dex, 20 int, 20 wis

Perception bonus: +17
Investigation bonus: +17

Passive perception: 30
Passive investigation: 30

Linguist cipher DC: 32
>>
>>47294237
Have the party encounter a mutant lamassu that, instead of asking riddles and shit, puts on stage plays to evoke certain emotions for the benefit of his pets, which feed on the psychic energies of those emotions.

One of the plays is quite shocking. When one of the party members fails to be surprised, this enrages the lamassu and his pets, who attack.
>>
>>47294237
Sounds like your players don't want to play Getting Ambushed: the RPG
>>
Hey, just so everyone knows, the shitposter here is a shitposter everywhere.

>47290761

He's a literal faggot. Just ignore any posts by him, he's just a stupidass troll.
>>
>>47294393
>he can't even post link
Damn you are one stupid motherfucker. Let me help you out:
>>47290761
>>
File: surprise.png (476 KB, 544x946) Image search: [Google]
surprise.png
476 KB, 544x946
>>47294237
Alert does not mean the entire party is not surprised by virtue of one member noticing. If a party is split in surprise, you treat it as the surprised characters simply sitting out for an entire turn.

Now, if your entire party has taken Alert...
>>
So question. Why is the general filled with so much shitposting concerning builds, actually why the hell is the general so pissed off most of the time? I mean the Pathfinder one is next door and they all seem pretty chill and their system has even more problems.
>>
>>47294477
You ever notice how cultists seem so happy and in love with each other and the thing they're in a cult about? That's because they're literally fucking brainwashed and that positive attitude helps to lure new victims into the trap.

Dissent and violent anger is proof that we're alive, maaan.
>>
I really hate to be *that dickbag*, I really do, but....

I'm in a 5e game. And we need an edge, specifically we need to construct some mobile seige weapons with the firepower of naval cannons, but in a no-black-powder setting. I remember back in 2nd and 3.5 editions, there were a wide variety of exploits and tricks that could be pulled with relatively low-level spells and incredibly minor magic items that could produce very effective heavy artillery. But I've looked through the books for 5e and most of those tricks no longer apply. The spells they rely on work differently or don't exist at all anymore. So, my question is this: What kinds of dirty tricks and exploits has /tg/ found to jury-rig artillery in 5e?
>>
>>47295014
>go aorockocra
>grapple an enemy
>etc

make sure you drop him in the upstairs room of the death house where there is four sets of functional plate armor and a bunch of beast master animal companions
>>
>>47295014
You need a lot of Battlemasters with javelins and/or (Sorc)locks with Repelling Blast. Open Hand Monks can also get you started.

Create the railgun.
>>
>>47294269
>using ambushes makes you That DM

Are you retarded?
>>
>>47295164
>party of 8 sorclocks, all with maxxed out eldritch blasts with 4 beams and repelling blast
>everyone readies their eldritch blast on their turn, proq'ing when the rest of the party casts eblast
>

I want to see it

>>47294269
>>47295173
meta ambushes are bullshit

ambushes that make sense are fine. also don't over use ambushes, because no one enjoys getting ambushed and D&D 5e is about _____fun_______
>>
>>47295215
What's the difference between a "meta" ambush and a regular one?

>no one enjoys getting ambushed

Speak for yourself.
>>
>>47295014
Man, cannons were a thing for a hundred years before real full plate was.

Make a pneumatic cannon, substitute magical explosions for gunpowder, or go with a souped-up conventional siege weapon. Counterpoise engines supplanted the direct form, but you probably want a straight-shooter that's just a fuckhuge bow rather than a tiny trebuchet or mangonel, so just make a superballista. Find some rare creature whose guts make the perfect skeins or exotic bones/wood for the bow levers. Stick it in a heavy wagon and go to town.
>>
>>47295234
meta ambush is "the party has been breezing through this/haven't fought anything in a while, time for an ambush!" or just any time you ambush your players without having something established for it

regular ambush is when you've planned out "ok there is a squad of drow here and they're sneaking around scouting stuff out, if the players fail to notice them they'll get ambushed"

a cool ambush that is something like "THREE DIRE OWLBEARS FALL OUT OF A TREE ROLL INITIATIVE" is fun, but "some orcs run out of the bushes and attack you" is not
>>
>>47288243
If I were DM and you continually pulled this shit I'd make them roll crits every time.

Stop it.
>>
>>47295318
The best ambush is
>you reach into the bag of holding you found three sessions ago for your pocket ram, but four air elementals that've been living in there the whole time jump out and buttfuck you
>>
>>47288046

The only people fighting are idiots.

The rules are pretty clear, you only run into problems when you try to break them like a fuck-nut.
>>
So this isn't 5e, it's 4e, but this is basically the only DND general these days.
I have 2 brand new players to DND, and have a fairly straightforward session planned out, and a pile of encounters, NPCs, stories for places, quests set out to last about 3 more sessions. After that, I can kinda go anywhere. I was thinking of essentially taking the players through a series of quests where they hunt bigger and bigger solos, with interspersed normal fights between. Sort of Monster Hunter kind of deal. My fear is that even with legendary actions and at most 3 players, solo fights can get a little dull because of pile on. How can I spice up these fights a bit more and make them more fun to do repeatedly?
>>
>>47295425
>more fun to do repeatedly?
Don't. I'm assuming you mean repeating the same fight here, because my only experience with MH involved a lot of that. Don't add grind to this game.

That being said, to make fights with single enemies interesting, focus on environmental hazards. I think the 2nd pirates of the carribean movie should be mandatory watching for every DM, because that shit has some excellent swordfighting in it, that really captures the feel of what makes something interesting: forcing the players to improvise or fight around interesting environments with fight changing features.
>>
>>47288546

A grapple is you reaching out with at least one hand and grabbing your opponent. The opponent is grappled and his movement is reduced to zero until he breaks free, but you can still move around as shit.

Thematically, look at it like this.

A fighter grabs a goblin by the neck and picks it up in the air. That goblin cannot move and it is grappled by the fighter, who then proceeds to punch the goblin in the face with his other hand to soften it up while walking toward a cliff to throw him off of it to make it extra dead.

The grappled goblin can try to test its strength to break the grasp the fighter has around its neck (break the grapple), stab the fighter that is choking him to try and kill him (attack), or reach out and start also choking the fighter to grapple him as well.

A bigger opponent? Fighter has a knight in a headlock and is leading him around the field.

A giant opponent? Fighter grabbed him by the ear and is twisting the shit out of it, leading him around the field (although given the size difference and strength checks and shit involved, this is highly unlikely and the giant WILL smash the shit out of him on his turn).

Grapple, however, is not wrestling like some people think it is. Wrestling is when TWO people are grappling and trying to pin each other. Both can grapple to keep each other from moving on their turns, just to try and lock each other down and pummel/stab the shit out of each other with their free hands.
>>
>>47295344
>If I were DM and you continually pulled this shit I'd make them roll crits every time.
>If I were DM I'd make them roll crits every time
>because I don't like your RAW permissible build
Okay, anon. Whatever makes you happy.

>Stop it.
Fuck yourself.
>>
>>47295468
Oh no, I definitely didn't mean doing the same fight repeatedly. I meant they'd find some news about a monster, some initial reports, and go through and investigate it however they see fit. Maybe fight some baby ones, or a not-so-friendly race that has them as pets, before they go after the big one.

I am constantly trying to add fun terrain, but I'm struggling to keep it fresh. Any examples?
>>
Gonna take my players through death house this friday and I think they're gonna love Rose and Thorn.

What kind of minor magical effects could I put on Rose's locket and Thorn's doll to make them memorable?

Should I just make them spellcasting foci?
>>
>>47295545
No magical effect, just a note:

there is a room in the death house that contains 4 sets of full plate that will adjust to fit to any medium humanoid and will not rust or deteriorate upon removal from the house
>>
>>47288046
It's just a handful of asshats that can't let go.
So, how's your campaign going?
Or the most recent one, at least.
>>
>>47295318
>encounter that makes sense: no fun
>stupid lol so randum epic encounter xD: very fun

Fuck off.
>>
>>47287976
>Land-traveling barbarian with an octopus best-friend.
Curious - is there a particular concept or vision you're going for, or is it just something neat you wanted to have?
>>
How fun can Eldritch Knight be?

I was thinking EK 5/Wiz 15 or something, how would that work out?
>>
File: 5e_MM_Troll.png (564 KB, 896x699) Image search: [Google]
5e_MM_Troll.png
564 KB, 896x699
Rolled 6, 1, 1, 6, 1, 6, 3, 2, 4, 5, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 6, 6, 3, 3, 5 = 67 (20d6)

>>47295649
Hey it's Fuck off. anon.

Fuck off.
>>
>>47295623
Not in Death House there isn't.
>>
>>47295682
I don't know who that is.

If you have a problem with being ambushed by orcs, then you shouldn't be playing this game.
>>
>>47295866
>cynical greentext interpretation of post I'm (You)ing
>possible further similar greentexts

Fuck off.

You are that autistic shitposter who always posts here trying to make sure nobody has fun. Not the guy you're arguing with btw.
>>
>>47295926
There's more than one of those though.

t. a different autistic shitposter
>>
>>47295926
You seem a bit paranoid. There's probably more than one person on 4chan who tells people to fuck off
>>
>>47288679
Griffon or similar, something majestic, but more power focused than purity.
>>
>>47287670
...that close-up snapshot (no pun intended), the one with the kick to the face: is his leg supposed to look like it's broken?
>>
File: Borked.png (120 KB, 320x183) Image search: [Google]
Borked.png
120 KB, 320x183
>>47296070
Actual picture with addition for inspection.
>>
>>47296134
That's why he's grinning in the last panel.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.