[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Each Planeswalker Deck will be a preconstructed 60-card deck
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 10
File: IrggBCBQsN.png (204 KB, 624x548) Image search: [Google]
IrggBCBQsN.png
204 KB, 624x548
>Each Planeswalker Deck will be a preconstructed 60-card deck and will be packaged with two booster packs from that block with an MSRP of $14.99

>The decks will play into mechanical themes of the block, most often making use of a new keyword mechanic. The default will be that the decks will be two-color even if the Planeswalker is monocolor.

>The other big difference about Planeswalker Decks is that there's going to be five cards in each that won't be found in the expansion, but that will be considered connected to that block for Standard legality

>The Planeswalker Decks will premiere with Kaladesh, this year's fall set, where they will replace Intro Packs.

>One copy of a mythic rare planeswalker
>Two copies of a rare spell that has an effect and also tutors for the specific planeswalker
>Three copies of an uncommon permanent that is enhanced by having the planeswalker on the battlefield
>Four copies of a common flavored to the Planeswalker
>Four copies of an appropriate common dual land

Dis gon b gud
>>
>>47283472
Shiet, forgot link
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/ramp-approval-2016-05-16
>>
>>47283472
I'm actually curious about the uncommons, which apparently key off the planeswalker type, while the rare tutors go for the card name. they might be interesting to mix up with other copies of recurring walkers.
>>
>>47284076
He specifically said that it would only be for that version of the walker
>>
>>47284076
>>47284103
The tutor will only fetch the planeswalker in question by name (Chandra, we made another one). The uncommon keys off the planeswalker type (a Chandra planeswalker).

Also interesting that fat packs are going up to 10 boosters with so little an MSRP bump. Might be nice.
>>
This sounds pretty nice actually.

Intro decks lose their appeal really quickly once you learn they are full of trash cards.
>>
>>47283472
I like this. Nothing pisses me off more than buying a fatpack and getting nothing but rares from the intro decks. Although my autism will demand I buy all these decks now. Maybe this means they can devote the planeswalker slots in the actual sets to new characters instead of retreading Jace, Chandra and Sorin every other block.
>>
Finally! A planeswalker for less than $15!
>>
>>47284379
I think the plan might be the opposite, use these intro decks to introduce the new planeswalkers and give them some identity. Arlin printed with a big ramp spell that searches her up and a big burn spell that searches her up as well as 4 uncommon werewolves would have given her a lot more flavor to play with.
>>
>>47284404
They will break Jace again as Gleemax reasserts it's control over R&D
>>
>>47284555
>Those Planeswalkers will be characters relevant to that block.
Arlin is 't exactly relevant to the block, she's just there to balance colors.

I don't know if this means that they're going to double dip on marque walkers, where they have chandra, the one from the expansion, and Chandra, the shitty planeswalker pack version, or if they're not going to have some planeswalker pack walkers in the main expansion (which seems weird from a marketing perspective)
>>
>>47284622
who knows. I'd prefer if they didn't double dip, and focus on giving us more cards that connect to new planeswalkers, but who the fuck knows how they're actually planning to do this until we get to see the first couple planeswalkers they picked. Maybe they'll even use this to reprint older planeswalker cards, MaRo was just talking about how that was difficult on his blog.
>>
File: butters_wtf.jpg (5 KB, 251x233) Image search: [Google]
butters_wtf.jpg
5 KB, 251x233
>>47283472
>inb4 Jace is the blue Planeswalker Deck walker for like three blocks in a row
>>
>>47284768
Now you're just gravely underestimating WotC.

Jace will be the blue planeswalker deck walker for fucking ever.
>>
>Return to Kamigawa
>new Tamiyo her third planeswalker card in Standard again
>her planeswalker intro deck will be a fourth version

FUND IT
>>
>>47285023
>Return to Kamigawa
I know it's too soon but I want to return to [/spoiler] Theros [/spoiler]
>>
>>47284768
>>47284792
I'm torn. part of me wants to say you guys are trolling, and most of jace's exposure comes from him being in every damn core set, but only reprinted like once.
however, that means with the core sets gone, these decks are his only hope of keeping up his current level of exposure, so you could actually be on to something, terrible as that is.
>>
I wonder about the level of acrimony required for them to actually do something right for once.
>>
>>47285432
Theros is building up to something great, Ajani is leaning towards full Naya, Dack rescuing Elspeth from the underworld and Ashiok mass casting their nightmare spell. We're going to see Nyx-Phyrexians vs Elspeth and her angelic army. I'm hype.
>>
>>47285603
that entire proposition sounds awful, and there is nothing you said that I like. I hope you get asshole cancer, jesus christ, i think I threw up a little in my mouth.
>>
>>47285633
Dis fukn guy
>>
About damn time Wizards caught up with the examples set by the equivalent products for YGO and CFV
>>
>>47285954
yeah but I still don't really expect the walkers in these sets to be huge on the meta of whatever is running rounds in standard. Still would be nice to just buy two walker decks and modify it for consistency and hit up FNMs though.
>>
I hate them building the game around planeswalkers because they're all awful characters and stories. The contrived Oath enchantments to facilitate playing them, the dumb Jacetice League storyline. It's just becoming about playing Planeswalkers instead of casting spells and creatures.

The only upside is that every time I pull a $20 planeswalker I can trade it for something interesting.
>>
>>47283472
>The other big difference about Planeswalker Decks is that there's going to be five cards in each that won't be found in the expansion, but that will be considered connected to that block for Standard legality

The only time I hope that wotc stays on their current line and those cards will be shit.
>>
>>47285432
>>>>>>>>>ever wanting to return to that poorly designed shitfest
Wew lad. I bet you liked Dragon's Maze, too.
>>
>>47285603
Set One: Apotheosis
Set Two: The New Gods

Elspeth's spark doesn't reignite but she ascends to godhood after the fall of the old pantheon.
>>
Funny how they skipped the Planeswalker Duel Deck in which Ugin would probably be half of it. The other half being, maybe Sarkhan, or Bolas if they felt like repeating it.
>>
set one has a monoblack legendary zombie: Elspeth the returned. elspeth fanboys shit their pants
set one has a monowhite planeswalker: Eidolon of heroism. planeswalker - Elspeth. everyone else shits their pants.
>>
>>47287930
meant to reply to
>>47287833
>>
Thank god, intro decks that are actually playable and have more than 4 good cards.
>>
>>47287787
All the more reason to return to it. There is a core group that really seems to have enjoyed the flavor of the set, but there is a much larger group that hates the set for its mechanical shortcomings. Returning to the set would allow them to adjust mechanics and produce a new set with less shit cards.
>>
It was vague on the article, but I wonder if these decks will have unique art for some cards.
Part of me is more exited for that instead of the mechanics.
>>
If these turn out to be moderately balanced amongst themselves I may nab a few to do some casual play with friends who used to play Magic.
>>
>>47288112
This.
Ravnica's as a setting is awesome and I'd like to see Theros continue.
>>
>>47288131
>four mechanically unique cards with ten total copies in the deck (one of the mythic rare, two of the rare, three of the uncommon, and four of the common). There will be fourteen cards with new art (the ten listed above plus the four copies of the dual land).
>>
>>47287691
I give it one year before they put something hilariously broken in there
>>
File: 1461952637516.jpg (72 KB, 600x529) Image search: [Google]
1461952637516.jpg
72 KB, 600x529
mfw WotC will give us another planeswalker commanders in these decks
>>
>>47288193
>unique dual land art
fuck it I'm buying that shit
>>
>>47285023
>Implying Tamiyo is ever getting another card
They explicitly stated that just because someone shows up in the story doesn't mean they're getting a new card. They were probably talking about her specifically
>>
File: 1398834517274.jpg (38 KB, 555x370) Image search: [Google]
1398834517274.jpg
38 KB, 555x370
>>47283472
>mfw they are all Tibalt-tier
>>
>>47288112
Just like they "improved" Zendikar and Innistrad?
>>
>>47290013
Can't be giving away good cards, then retarded casuals won't get to buy then
>>
>>47289995
They were talking about Jace in BFZ.
>>
File: MTG-Planeswalker.jpg (551 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
MTG-Planeswalker.jpg
551 KB, 2560x1440
>>47289870
I personally believe that planeswalkers should just be allowed as commanders instead of having to add all that text giving you permission to do so; just add all the broken walkers to the ban list.
>>
>>47290078
>I personally believe that getting free spells every turn is totally okay and not retarded at all
>>
>>47290134
Yeah, because there are no more retarded and broken cards
>>
>>47290041

I don't know what the fuck made them think turning a sickass adventure land into a poor man's eldritch horror shitfest was a good idea.
>>
>>47290013
>>47290054
Did you read the link?>>47283484

>The idea is we want new players to be excited by them and for them to have a big impact on the game, but we don't want established players to feel obligated to buy the Planeswalker Decks. As a default, the planeswalkers will be expensive to cast and splashy.
>>
>>47283472
I love how this is directly in response to the origins walkers retarded price jump. I'm glad it will never happen again at least
>>
>>47290165
Not ones that you just immediately have access to all game and are difficult to deal with
>>
>>47290190
They probably wanted to reap that sweet, sweet hipster cthulu dosh from the idiots who like that trash
>>
>>47290191
Depends on how they design the rest of standard
>>
>>47290191
AKA
>they will be almost mandatory for commander
At least the jace enchantment if its not mill based will be good, a little boost to mindsculptor, telepath unleashed, and keeper of secrets were all warranted and needed.
>>
>>47290165
Exactly. If there were it'd be a different story.
>>
>>47283472
I think it's pretty nice.
Now they can either put the main walkers into these products and let new walkers into the boosters or the other way around.
>>
File: 1463442859510878.png (253 KB, 375x524) Image search: [Google]
1463442859510878.png
253 KB, 375x524
k guys, lets come up with some shittywalkers that are gonna be in the planeswalker decks, pic related.
>>
>>47291013

I'm betting they "accidentally" make the Jace really good again
>>
>>47291013
>that -2
shit nigga, just do that each fucking turn and your opponent will be down their whole fucking deck
>>
>>47291096
O SHIT A FOUR TURN CLOCK

CALL MARK ROSEWATER
>>
>>47291013
I would change the second one on "nine cards"
>>
>>47288612
That's overly generous. Kaladesh will likely be fine, and the very next block will be a blatant cash grab.
>>
>>47287833
>Apotheosis
>Not Apotherosis
Shiggy le diggydingdong.
>>
>>47289975
They are shit though, but for that very reason ypu can get them for cheap.
>>
File: do not want89244948.jpg (65 KB, 600x340) Image search: [Google]
do not want89244948.jpg
65 KB, 600x340
>>47290078
Wildspeaker, Mindsculptor, and LotV would all immediately be banned. The latter two I don't really care about, but I need Wildspeaker.
>>
>>47290041
>>47290190
BfZ was trash (even if OGW had a pass), but new Innistrad is fine. Its not amazing but it does have a lot of cool stuff. Solid 7.5/10
>>
>>47283472
>People actually expecting the planeswalkers on these shits will be good
Lol, stop lying to yourselves, wizards don't print any value on intro packs.
>>
>>47292545
The walkerdeck exclusive cards mean that they can print stuff to push the walkerdecks without a meaningful negative impact on booster sales. If you think they won't attempt to print something to push non-noobs into buying the walkerdecks, you direly underestimate their Jewness.
>>
>>47291013
something mentioned was a planeswalker with no abilities. How would people feel about a 2 mana planeswalker, say a WW Ajani, with a static ability like 'all white creatures you control have +1/+1'
>>
File: EN_Ajani_1_Gallery.jpg (251 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
EN_Ajani_1_Gallery.jpg
251 KB, 1200x675
>>47295226

That would be an attackable enchantment (even more so)

He should at least have something crappy like:
+1: you gain 1 life
-1: up to one creature you control gains first strike until end of turn
-5: White Creatures you control gain lifelink and doublestrike until end of turn.
>>
>>47295226
I would say "why isn't this an enchantment"?
>>47292545
I believe that they'll try to keep the 'walkers at trash-rare tier, and the thematic junk will either be trash for being linked to that walker or just trash in general.

But I also believe at some point they will screw up and overpower one, because they didn't playtest them as part of the actual set.
>>
>>47295391
I'm just quoting what MaRo said on the blog, and theorizing on what that would be.
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/144486450568/you-mention-in-your-article-that-you-considered#notes

You could say it isn't just an enchantment because you want to give the colors that can't normally interact with enchantments like red and black outs, while still being a cool planeswalker.
>>
>>47295501
But a planeswalker isn't "cool" when it's just a Glorious Anthem with hp.

It's bad design, it would simply be a bad decision, and I'm surprised to see something like that even considered especially after that recent article of all the mistakes wizards has made in the past.
>>
File: Capes.gif (3 MB, 640x266) Image search: [Google]
Capes.gif
3 MB, 640x266
>>47292242
>these cards are game changing in EDH
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.