[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
EDH/Commander general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 53
File: Skullbriar.jpg (33 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Skullbriar.jpg
33 KB, 223x310
Flipped table edition

>RESOURCES

http://www.mtgcommander.net
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.

http://www.tappedout.net
>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh
>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.

http://www.edhrec.com/
>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.

http://manabasecrafter.com/
>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.

>CARD SEARCHING

http://gatherer.wizards.com/
>Official search site. Current for all sets.

http://www.magiccards.info
>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
>>
File: 243.jpg (75 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
243.jpg
75 KB, 312x445
I want to build a janktastic Mishra deck with Possibility Storm. What are some must includes?
>>
Okay /tg/, right now I'm making 4 seperate decks.
Silumgar, the Drifting Death - Zombie/Dragon Tribal
Oona, Queen of the Fae - Exile All the Threats before they are drawn
Chorus of the Conclave - Huge Threats/Ramp, Hasty Infect
Yasova Dragonclaw - Only for colors, Land Manipulation and Creature Damage Based Card Draw

I'll make list if anybody is intrested.
>>
>>47267079
Sensei's Top, he can dig like no other with the shuffle ability.
>>
What's the best U/W general for a "good stuff" deck? Just a bunch of board wipes, counters, fliers, etc.
I've learned that i just cant play build around or theme decks since i get bored of those fast, my mimeoplasm good stuff is the first deck ive kept together.
>>
just gonna crap out damia good stuff because i'm tired of not having a deck
>>
>>47267162
If you want to go for the quick kill with cheap counters and early disruption go with Geist of Saint Traft.

If you want something more controlly go with Grand Arbiter Augustin IV

A 3rd more midrange like option is Dragonlord Ojutai
>>
Still looking for opinions on my Grixis deck folks, people on Tappedout don't like to leave comments at all.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/might-of-the-triggers-1/
>>
>>47267079
Is the deck's soul purpose Possibility Storm? Get some tutors.

What does your meta look like?
>>
>>47267162
ojutai, grand arbiter, and depending how counter heavy your goodstuff decks get noyan dar are all fun goodstuff commanders in blue white. obviously building towards their strengths will boost up the decks power.
>>
>>47267212
Ah I like the midrangey/control option but i cant run dragonlord Ojutai.

One of our friends in our playgroup came into the shop with Ojutai sleeves, only Ojutai dice, an Ojutai playmat, and Ojutai as his commander. He very shortly dissembled that deck after our entire group kept saying how he was sexually attracted to Ojutai and wanted to fuck a dragon.
>>
>>47267215
Too many fatties. I'd find more ways to cheat them in (Quicksilver Amulet, reanimimation, polymorph)
>>
>>47267102

chorus of the conclave is complete shit!

save yourself the suffering and embarrassment and turn back now
>>
>>47267102

why choose yasova only for colors?

there are other temur color commanders you know

even surrak sounds like he might do better for what your deck wants to do
>>
>>47267355
It's actually really good, especially in multiplayer. It probably my favorite deck.

Outright killing somebody in one turn with a Putrefax or Tine Strike feels great.
>>
>>47267284
>after our entire group kept saying how he was sexually attracted to Ojutai and wanted to fuck a dragon
Actually kek'd
>>
File: Feature20150224_DiceSet.jpg (77 KB, 700x547) Image search: [Google]
Feature20150224_DiceSet.jpg
77 KB, 700x547
>>47267284
To his credit, Ojutai knock dice are pretty sweet.
>>
>>47267422
He did deserve it, as a person hes nice. But he builds decks that are only board wipes, counter spells, and stalling without actually putting wincons in and complaining how people gang up on him and how he never wins.
>>
>>47267409
Yasova is usable if you're playing Duel commander and want a general you want to get out quickly so you can start laying on the damage. Admittedly though if your playing those colors in Duel Commander a better strategy is building Animar combo. But to each his own.
>>
>>47267409
Yasova gives me early game board presence, and by turn 5-6 I'm usually setting up my board or disrupting my opponents so I've opted out for surrak.

Animar draws too much aggression and I don't want a generic Animar deck. Thunder-face explosion-chest, again, draws too much aggression and disrupts my "combo" potential.
>>
Does anyone know of any cards along the lines of:

Pay 1 generic: add one mana of any colour to your mana pool
>>
Not off the top of my head, but the card search link in OP should turn a couple up.
>>
>>47254624

plz respond
>>
>>47267413

im sure the 99 is good im just saying chorus of the conclave is a bad card
>>
File: 319.jpg (62 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
319.jpg
62 KB, 312x445
>>47267503
Closest you'll get is the guild signets and a set of ally-color lands from Odyssey.
>>
>>47267503
Bog Initiate and Initiates of the Ebon Hand will let you filter into Black
Gemstone Array lets you get any color but at a 2:1 rate.
>>
>>47267503

i used gatherer one to look for this and didnt find any that did exactly that

theres manaforge cinder that turns generic mana into red or black, which is cool

there's orochi leafcaller who turns green mana into mana of any color

but as far as turning generic mana into mana of any color, i have only found chromatic star and other one-use effects
>>
>>47267637
>>47267618
>>47267606
Thanks for the responses
I was already aware of those, I was hoping there was some old card with weird wording that I couldn't find

It's a shame, I really needed some way to turn infinite generic mana into naya mana, the closest I can get Skyshroud Elf or Gemstone Array
>>
>>47267701

why do you need to do that? how are you making infinite colorless mana? the method can often be adapted to create colored mana

usually theres a more complicated way of doing that that doesnt require any cards that are otherwise fairly weak outside the infinite combo (like gemstone array)
>>
>>47267503
Unknown Shores, maybe?
>>
>>47267503
shimmering grotto
>>
>>47267751
In naya colors, my uneducated guess is that he is using Marath and a Mana Echoes token loop to generate infinite colorless. I'm not sure why he'd then need colors, since that actually wins, but if he does, Gemstone Array is easily the best option. Of course, if he's a complete madman and using Rings/Monolith, Array makes perfect sense too.

In either case, nayanon, just use Gemstone Array already.
>>
>>47267461
Ugh, I remember my first pauper game with experienced friend. I made some cheap RB deck based on Rakdos just to learn how to play and he pick some mill machine and discard something like half on my deck in t4
>>
>>47267751
This
>>47267821

I'm using rings/monolith too, love me some combos. I don't see how mana echoes + marath is infinite on its own though?

>>47267772
>>47267813
For infinite mana the effect needs to be repeatable, thanks though
>>
>>47267876

mana echoes plus marath isnt infinite it requires another piece like cathar's crusade or ivy street denizen
>>
>>47267896
Yeah, that's what I thought, I was questioning why the person I was replying to thought it was infinite
>>
>>47267876
>Mana Echoes + Marath is infinite on its own though
It isn't by default. Using a token doubler or an effect that places counters on Marath makes it infinite after a few tokens.

As for your specific situation, yeah, just use Array. It's the best thing you've got in the circumstance and that it's 2:1 doesn't matter when infinites are on the table.
>>
>>47267930
> I don't see how mana echoes + marath is infinite on its own
I know mate

Yeah, it's a little expensive mana wise but it seems to be the best I've got
>>
>>47267970
>Yeah, it's a little expensive mana wise but it seems to be the best I've got
From context, it is clear what you meant, so I'll respond to that.

Yeah, Array is sort of a feel-bad, but it is definitely the best tool for the job that you want. Out of curiosity, why are you running Rings/Monolith in a Naya deck? What's your deck doing? Those aren't very typical colors for artifact shenanigans.
>>
>>47268053
It's allthecombos.dec
Literally just ramp, removal, tutors and combo stuff
It mostly revolves around Marath but there are some other infinite mana things in case Marath becomes prohibitively expensive
>>
>>47267079
Nether Void, Blood Funnel, et cetera
>>
>>47267102
I'd like to see the Oona list
>>
File: 125.jpg (74 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
125.jpg
74 KB, 312x445
I like this card and will be using it in future decks
>>
>>47268603
Why is this useful? It doesn't even do that much for the mana cost, you're better off playing Rhystic Study.
>>
File: BOTG Karametra, God of Harvests.jpg (3 MB, 1525x2116) Image search: [Google]
BOTG Karametra, God of Harvests.jpg
3 MB, 1525x2116
Post commanders you would like to run just for their arts
>>
File: 156.jpg (66 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
156.jpg
66 KB, 312x445
>>47268765
>>
>>47268603

It's not very good, since it says casts rather than "Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under an opponent's control..."

It's also an opponent's choice, which means it never goes how you want it to. And the 2 damage isn't very much punishment if they're hitting you for 4, 5, 6, whatever damage
>>
>>47268763
Not him, but at a minimum it prevents Animar shenanigans.

Doesn't fit the same roll as rhystic, and there is plenty of room for 3 cmc cards in most decks.
>>
File: horobi.jpg (113 KB, 575x790) Image search: [Google]
horobi.jpg
113 KB, 575x790
>>47268765
>>
File: zur-the-enchanter.jpg (33 KB, 200x293) Image search: [Google]
zur-the-enchanter.jpg
33 KB, 200x293
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zur-artifacts/
Made my second Commander deck, but this one feels alot worse than my last one (Hazeon Tamar lands). Any suggestions? It was meant to be an artifact deck and I wanted to use Zur, but it kind of got awkward with the non-artifacts. I realise there are some 'off' cards that don't really fit with my theme so I'm looking to get rid of those and be less all over the place.
>>
>>47269103
Why are you using Zur with an artifact deck? Surely someone like Sharuum or Sydri fills that role better?
>>
File: imageedit_1_6394330643.gif (208 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
imageedit_1_6394330643.gif
208 KB, 1000x1000
>>47268966
>>47268765
Theros Gods are god-tier cards
>>
>>47269220
I dislike Sharuum's effect, and I feel Sydri's effect is less useful when I have March and the Tezzerets. The deck was originally used to use March as its primary win con, but that seems to have changed as I built it.
>>
>>47269103
>General tutors up enchantments
>makes artifact deck with said general
>thinks it's worse

Gee I wonder
>>
File: 2342645762.jpg (35 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
2342645762.jpg
35 KB, 223x310
Is there anything worse than the "spirit of edh" fags? I'll play this format however I want and if that means playing good decks that win early or strategies that annoy people like MLD or other stax effects, so be it.

I had an old playgroup that was ok and had similar mindset, but now the people I play with constantly bitch about my decks. Unfortunately, these are the only people that play edh in my area. How do I get them to see things from my point of view and actually upgrade their decks so that I can play fun magic? I've tried tuning down decks and building weaker ones, but I never have fun with those, I just like playing with cards that are actually good.
>>
>>47267102
Silumgar sounds like fun
mind sharing a list?
>>
>>47270082
Stop being a Spike
>>
i really wanna do a genju of the realm edh deck with lots of kamigawa spirits. i know its not a legal commander but there are no five color spirit generals plus something like progenitus doesn't really fit the theme
>>
>>47270082
You just play how you want to play and your group will react in one of two ways.
1. They will get tired of getting stomped and start playing better, faster decks. Problem solved.
2. They will ask you to stop playing those decks or ban you. Either way, nothing is going to change their mind. You just have to find a group more suited to your style of gameplay.
>>
>>47266898
So.
Does Skullbriar want ESG?
>>
>>47270082
EDH can go full Vintage very easily, which is only fun if you *like* that kind of gameplay. Most folks don't. If you seriously cannot play anything other than full Vintage-style EDH, that's fine. Just shelve the format until you find more amenable players to jam with.

Basically, you can't "get them to see things from [your] point of view". It's not going to happen. They don't seem to want to play full Vintage-style and you do. Just set EDH aside for awhile, maybe do some throwback drafts or something with your friends instead.
>>
>>47270082
How many decks do you have? You could just lend out some of your not shit decks to get a multiplayer game with a decent power level going.
>>
>>47270660
>Does Skullbriar want ESG?
I dunno, Skullbrair seems like a death metal kinda guy, not a post-punk kinda guy. I'd recommend that maybe you go with some Slayer instead of ESG.
>>
File: 191.jpg (70 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
191.jpg
70 KB, 312x445
Will it be a good idea to set up a Damia deck with an emphasis on Golgari recursion?

How should I build around her anyway?
>>
>>47270660
Probably great if you can get it early

Seems like a dead draw in the later game
>>
I desperately want to make a tribal deck. I love myr, scarecrows and spirits. None of these work for shit. Raaaaage.
They need yo make more myr and scarecrows. Mosy importantly since I have spirits, why the absolute fuck are there no decent spirit comanders with blue and white? Blue white black would be the best but nooope nothing thematic there at all. I get geist of traft and brago, and both of them kinda suck.
>>
>>47271230
use Karador
>>
File: Traft2.jpg (41 KB, 620x453) Image search: [Google]
Traft2.jpg
41 KB, 620x453
>>47271230
>why the absolute fuck are there no decent spirit comanders with blue and white?
>>
>>47271230
Brago is awesomefor ETB and LTB effects, what are you talking about? He's value town, all the way.
>>
>>47271230

brago definitely doesnt suck in any way shape or form, honestly i consider him to be tier 1 or 1.5 maybe

if you mean he doesnt facilitate spirit tribal... i wouldnt know because ive never tried to build spirit tribal but if there are any etb effects involved, surely brago can help

geist i understand doesnt really help for spirit tribal, since hes first of all, a card that isnt as good in edh as he is in other formats, and secondly he doesnt support other creatures which you want your tribal commander to do
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/skillbriar-1/

What you think family? I'm probably forgetting a few cards since I threw this together off the top of my head, but here it is.
>>
>>47271522

i like it senpai

dont know what to critique because you could go different ways with the deck
>>
>>47270082
> My dick can only get hard by showing off my $1000 deck
>and my new lessers who I play a game with refuse to take a mortgage payment to do what I want to do
>I can't have fun making "weaker" decks

I dunno, man. Maybe just stop playing EDH. You sound like a total tool. If you can't have fun playing a janky Sherie deck, then you probably get off on infinite combos. Christ, just play Jhoria without any extra turn cards.
>>
File: sedris.jpg (109 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
sedris.jpg
109 KB, 800x600
Can anybody help me make cuts from this Sedris, the Traitor King brew i have going?

I need to cut 9 entire cards and its agony to part with any of them

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/greatest-hits-remixed/
>>
>>47271609
>mortgage payment
>work two weeks
>suddenly have enough money for any EDH deck ever
????
>>
>>47270107
>>47271609
>how DARE people try to win
>>
>>47270082
Casual formats aren't for you, clearly. Go play vintage or legacy, man.
>>
>>47271619
I think Whip can go.Sedris does the same for cheaper and you have enough general reanimation effects that keeping him on the field doesn't seem like it would be too difficult, Lifelink is largely irrelevant a lot of the time what with infinite combos, general damage and alternate wincons all over the place. I would also cut both Swan Song and Attunement and put in Forbid as it does the job of both cards in one. Zealous is nice but I'd rather see more synergy in the deck to justify it's position. Either an assortment of Sac effects or Kiki-Jiki or both. Time Warp is obviously strong but you might get more value out of Evacuation.
>>
File: fuck_unearth.jpg (32 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
fuck_unearth.jpg
32 KB, 223x310
>>47271619
>http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/greatest-hits-remixed/

Depends on what you're trying to put in.

I'm gonna tell you right now though as one sedris player to another, you want this in there. Probably desolate lighthouse too for sifting.
>>
>>47272008

Not putting anything in, I am like 9 cards over 100 right now of cards I want in the deck so I need to just cut 9

Sundial of the infinite is good but Its one I've already cut from the list, because I've built my list such that none of my creatures need live past entering the battlefield and maybe attacking once with haste, the point is to just get big value over and over with little utility creatures but I'll definitely think about finding a spot for sundial, since it does go well with Balefire dragon unearthed for instance

>>47271991

I think you're right about whip of Erebos, I love the card but my main strategy makes it too redundant

I don't think I'll be taking out Attunement because it seems like one of the best cards in the deck, repeatedly draw 3 and fuel my graveyard, I couldn't ask for a more perfect card for what I'm doing

I think you're right that forbid is better than swan song, I generally stay away from 3 mana counterspells but I think in this case advantages are insane
>>
>>47266898
Oh man that guy looks fun

I want to build with him
>>
>>47271991

The reason for time warp is that it's really strong with all the recursion I have

Evacuation is one of my favorite board wipes though, might try to find a slot
>>
>>47272661
Anytime I see archaeo and chonarch I recommend Evac just because the ability to stall the game out with them is so stupid.
>>
>>47268966

Run for the art, stay for swinging in with a 40/40 trampler on turn 5.
>>
>>47268603
It's a shame that artist is a fucking nutcase because some of his pieces are really good
>>
>>47272744
tell me about this, Anon
>>
>>47272731

That's something I've utilized extensively in my Azami deck, hard for many decks to deal with
>>
>>47267701
Depending on how casual your EDH group is I'd reccomend throwing in Mox lotus. If you're making infinite colorless mana you can get any mana of any color on a 100:1 ratio. Although it doesn't tap and you can tap it for infinite mana anyways.
>>
>>47269103
Any deck that runs due as a commander is instantly set upon by nearly every single EDH player in my current shop due to one guy being an asshole in every possible way with indestructible enchantments. I mostly agree since enchantment control is pillow fort as hell.
>>
>>47272912
No, I prefer to play with groups that follow the rules of the game.
>>
>>47270660
ESG?
>>
File: 1328774150666.jpg (16 KB, 177x278) Image search: [Google]
1328774150666.jpg
16 KB, 177x278
>>47272744
>40/40 trampler on turn 5
>>
>>47272981
You mean the ban list? The card costs 15 mana, and if you're making infinite mana regardless I don't see why it's a big deal.
>>
>>47273015
Elvish Spirit Guide
>>
>>47273113
Emrakul is also 15 mana, wins you the game when it's cast and is banned.

>>47273120
Oh right. Not sure if it's thaaat good on EDH.
>>
>>47273104
The only I can figure is if he plays a double land grab or a mana dork T3, plays elvish piper T4, the enchantment T5 and Tap elvish piper for an absolutely massive creature with trample onto the battlefield.
>>47273145
Yet the infinite combos that win you the game nearly instantly aren't banned? Besides, emrakul is never actually castes dans dies to removal.
>>
>>47273113
It costs a deck slot and is otherwise a dead card. If I wanted to run a joke/funny card in one of my decks I'd run a Nix to counter my friend's force of will, which at the very least is legal and has some fringe viability.
>>
>>47267079
Am I missing something here, why would you use Mishra in a singleton format?
>>
>>47273205
Joke commander
>>
>>47273205
Shenanigans
>>
>>47273176
>Yet the infinite combos that win you the game nearly instantly aren't banned?
I was just pointing out that being 15 mana is not a very justified argument considering we're on battlecruiser magic. Anyway, if he's using Mox Lotus to filter infinite mana from somewhere else I would be ok. Maybe play with it without the tap add infinity mana?
>>
>>47273205
Possibility storm, nether void, blood funnel. think about it.
>>47273221
Idiot.
>>
>>47273120
You should run every spell that enables turn 1 Skull-Briar, save for extreme cases like LED.

Chrome Mox and Spirit Guide are amazing in Skullbriar.
>>
>>47267079
Mycosynth lattice, mycosynth lattice tutors, relentless rats
>>
>>47273236
Would Mishra's triggered ability not go on the stack when you cast that spell - before it enters the graveyard?

I can see where you're going with it - I'm just unsure if it works like that.
>>
>>47273227

house rule for mox lotus, when you tap it to make infinite mana, that mana can only be spent to cast cards with Mox in their name
>>
>>47273267

mishra's ability does not combo with mycosynth lattice

it makes permanents into artifacts, but it does not change spells into artifacts.

it does change cards and spells into colorless, but that does not trigger mishra
>>
>>47273334
Yep, it works exactly like you think. Counters/slow everyone else's spells, you get uncounterable artifacts thanks to mishra.
>>
>>47273337
So that mana can only be used to cast spells that have 0 mana cost?
>>
>>47273459

thats the joke

i guess it wasnt a great joke
>>
File: Image.jpg (26 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
26 KB, 223x310
>Crawlspace
>Smoke
>Silent Arbiter
>Mana Web
>War's Toll
>pic

Too much? Making a weird-ass Big Red control deck
>>
File: cabalCoffers.jpg (108 KB, 648x489) Image search: [Google]
cabalCoffers.jpg
108 KB, 648x489
Thinking of cutting Magus of the Coffers and Ob Nixilis Reignited for Caged Sun and something else. Profane Command or Lashwrithe maybe. I like Profane Command because I like the flexibility, even if some of the modes aren't great. Anyone else have any suggestions?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/chainer-dementia-master-of-dementia/
>>
>>47273491
Yeah, too much. You'll eventually get everyone packing a copy of back to nature and tranquility just to stop you from doing that, and a copy of creeping corrosion.
>>
File: ob nixilis.png (586 KB, 448x625) Image search: [Google]
ob nixilis.png
586 KB, 448x625
Why is he so perfect?
>>
What are some good artifact protection cards in abzan colors?
>>
>>47273652
>Winter orb
It's like you want to be targeted.
>>
>>47273697
what do you mean by artifact protection?
>>
>>47273711
>muh spirit of EDH
Is everyone in your playgroup as big of a shitter as you?
>>
>>47273614
Yeah you're probably right. I think Mana Web, Silent Arbiter and Caverns can hit the road
>>
File: META.png (4 MB, 2484x1430) Image search: [Google]
META.png
4 MB, 2484x1430
let's see those playgroups boys
>>
>>47273713
Just helping them stay on the field for longer and avoid or minimize losses from say a vandalblast or something
>>
>>47273782
privileged position protects them from targeted removal and darksteel forge protects them from boardwipes
>>
>>47273697
>>47273782

leonin abunas
fountain watch
darksteel forge
argivian find
argivian archaeologist

eight-and-a-half-tails can protect artifacts but he requires a lot of white mana so more of a build around than an abzan include
>>
>>47273734
No. It's just that doing something like that makes people pissed at you, and when everyone else is pissed at you they'll work together against you
>>
>>47273891
Maybe if you have a bad playgroup. I happen to play in a group that is smart enough to either run or have answers for stax.

Also if your deck can't handle a bit of archenemy you might need to git gud
>>
>>47273104
you ever heard of Malignus?
>>
>>47273948

stax always makes you archenemy, thats a fact of life

stax gives people less resources to work with so they cant afford to spend what little they have NOT dealing with you, they will always do whatever they can to deal with your stax effects because only then will they have the mana and cards to deal with anybody else

stax can handle that though, its still good strategy
>>
>>47273357
damn
there anything that turns relentless rats spells into artifacts?
>>
>>47266898
If you put a -1/-1 counter on this guy and he died, wouldn't he just die instantly whenever you play him?
>>
File: 1393096247870.gif (1 MB, 300x210) Image search: [Google]
1393096247870.gif
1 MB, 300x210
>>47273104
>>47272838

It isn't consistent, but I've had a few matches where the curve and ramp are just right (plus the luck of drawing sol ring...) and Xenagos + Malignus + Nylea = 40/40 trampler on turn 5. It very obviously makes you everyone's prime target, but the goal of Xenagos is to turbo ramp so fast and hit so hard that the rest of the players have nothing to stop you with.

I've found that Rapacious One was a super champion that gave me a board full of dozens of Eldrazi Spawn which acted both as chump blockers and even more mana fuel.
>>
>>47273491
Way too much. If you want to pack them, go for it, but god damn do not have all of those out at once.
>>
>>47274038
Yes
>>
>>47274032

as far as i know, there is nothing

from what ive seen, the only things you can change on a spell or card is the color or creature type or possibly give it abilities like flash or uncounterable, never seen anything to changes the card type
>>
>>47274038

yes, but +1/+1 counters cancel out -1/-1 counters so hopefully you never have to deal with that, and if it becomes a problem where people are running black sun's zenith everywhere then you can run command beacon
>>
>>47274038
How would you even do this?
>>
File: 194.jpg (70 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
194.jpg
70 KB, 312x445
>>47274203
No one ever expects Scar in the 99.
>>
>>47274203

there are black cards that put -1/-1 counters on target creature or all creatures

they are useful as removal but many of them are overcosted

if you used them to kill skullbriar, he would keep those -1/-1 counters in the command zone and graveyard so you couldnt recur him or cast him again without him instantly dying, and furthermore you cant put any +1/+1 counters on him to cancel out the -1/-1 counters because he would die as a state based action, so you would need to figure out a way to return him to your hand or library from your graveyard or command zone to reset the counters
>>
>Tutors are boring and running a lot of them defeats the purpose of playing a singleton format.

Only good tutors are jank tutors. God bless Yisan in the 99.
>>
File: 66456_200w.jpg (28 KB, 200x288) Image search: [Google]
66456_200w.jpg
28 KB, 200x288
what are your boardwipe counters?
>>
>>47274273
>put him in yard
>crack Elixir of Immortality
>tutor him back
It could work but it's fragile
>>
>>47274273
I never connected that Skullbriar holds counters other than +1/+1s. So we can make him hold divinity counters for That Which was Taken. Anything else fun?
>>
>>47274347
Gold counter from Aurification
Bribery counter from Gwafa Hazid
>>
File: ghostw.jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
ghostw.jpg
30 KB, 223x310
>>47274320
>>47274320

pic related and the new strictly better version from shadows over innistrad Eerie Interlude are the very best options in my opinion

boros charm does protect noncreatures though so its also great
>>
>>47274320
caller of the claw
>>
>>47274378

gwafa hazid seems strongish against skullbriar

unrelated note:
never got the hype with gwafa, my problem with gwafa hazid has always been that the bribe counters only work when hes on the battlefield, so its a lot of investment of time and mana you make just to get blown out when he dies
>>
>>47274402

this, along with fresh meat
>>
>>47274410
Which is why you pillowfort your face off and win with Azor's Elocutors

I built him for fun but I don't think he's hyped at all
>>
>>47274320
Having a full grip when they happen and playing more shit?
>>
I'm thinking about building a Marchesa deck using creatures with Wither and cards with Proliferate. Thoughts?

No, I'm not going to use infect. It's shitty
>>
>>47274479

planeswalkers are good with proliferate
myojins are good with proliferate
infect creatures are good with proliferate
>>
>>47274479
Sure.
>>
File: 1440548927444.gif (1021 KB, 500x484) Image search: [Google]
1440548927444.gif
1021 KB, 500x484
>There are still people who complain about the cost of their opponents decks
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/transcendent-perfection/

Thinking about cutting GAA5 for Nahiri, the Harbinger. Thoughts?
>>
>>47274320
Nobody ever remembers soul of new phyrexia is in your graveyard, just like nobody remembers moment's peace.

Flashback and graveyard activated abilities are hilarious, cuz there ain't nothing as satisfying as people pulling plans that will be foiled by using known, on board responses.
>>
>>47274796

>It's another Narset deck

Might as well just play a precon commander
>>
File: 25.gif (2 MB, 235x176) Image search: [Google]
25.gif
2 MB, 235x176
>>47274778
>>
How do I into a Boros Legion deck?
>>
>>47274924
Tokens
Concerted Effort
Iroas
Muster the Legion
>>
>>47274956
Check (sorta)
Not check
Check
Check
So, what? Just a bunch of goodstuffs and token generation?

I've been wanting to build a Boros Legion flavour deck in some format or another for ages, and I was thinking EDH was the best opportunity for it. I didn't know their token game was strong enough to properly pull it off.
>>
>>47274924
Tajic and some cheap token makers along with some MLD and a few boardwipes
>>
>>47274994
assemble the legion is a really powerful card if you follow it with an armageddon. It's really hard to lose from that position
>>
>>47274994
By Muster the Legion I meant Assemble the Legion. It's a solid card in a token strategy
>>
File: glissa-the-traitor.jpg (72 KB, 389x570) Image search: [Google]
glissa-the-traitor.jpg
72 KB, 389x570
Worth building around?
>>
>>47275114
yes?
>>
>>47275114

Guyz do u think Derevi mite be worth building dek wit?!?!?
>>
File: 1427597818393.jpg (11 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1427597818393.jpg
11 KB, 225x225
>>47274778
>There are still people who complain about proxies of expensive cards
>>
>>47275048
>>47275067
>>47275105
Alright. I don't really have any plan for the deck apart from 'budget' and 'cards that I happen to like.'

Tajic as the commander might be fun if I went Voltron. I certainly like him a lot more than Thugrelia as the Commander.
>>
File: 26.jpg (67 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
26.jpg
67 KB, 312x445
>>47274320
That and this
>>
>>47275381
honest question, why is it that only MtG has such endless arguing over proxy etiquette? Wargames cost just as much and I rarely see any bullshitting over bringing "proxy" figurines, seems like most wargamers understand that if you want to play the game you buy the fucking pieces for it.
>>
>>47275490
Because miniature wargamers (besides anything GW) are reasonable, functional human beings
>>
>>47275490
Wargames aren't a collectible trading card game.
>>
>>47275490
because for those of us who avoid using proxies it feels kind of disrespectful for someone to proxy a force of will that they are never going to buy
>>
>>47275606
Fuck off and take your expensive cardboard with you
>>
>>47275643
what? if you're not going to buy the card, why play it. Just play with the cards you own.
>>
>>47275661
Because being competitive and having a bank account are acceptable goals to have at the same time.
>>
>>47275699
There's really no need to be competitive when playing a casual format.
>>
>>47275699
It's a casual format dude, there's no commander GP to be practicing for.
>>
File: 1424751704332.jpg (151 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1424751704332.jpg
151 KB, 1024x768
>>47275490
>He's never wargamed with a bottlecap with a minifig on it
>>
>>47275606

>disrespectful

?? To who? Wotc?
>>
>>47275942
No to the person who decided to spend their money on the card.
>>
File: 1408423135033.jpg (80 KB, 533x330) Image search: [Google]
1408423135033.jpg
80 KB, 533x330
>>47275381

>not encouraging your poorfag friends to proxy so you can have better games
>>
>>47275436
Or Basandra? It's not quite as on flavour as far as the commander goes, but she has 0 lore, right?
>>
>>47275960

you think because you spent money on the game it would be disrespectful for other people to spend less yet play with the same cards?

You knew what you were getting into when you purchased something with theoretical value, somebody comes along and finds a free way to get that value, that's on you not them

Magic itself exists in theory, the cards do what they do because we all agree that's how to interpret the words on them, there's nothing about the physical cards that is necessary to play magic

I personally don't proxy because I think they look ugly and it flares up my autism to see them clash with the look of real cards

But I don't believe I'm paying for the right to play magic, I'm paying for shiny cardboard with nice formatting

magic is like chess in that it's a collection of rules at heart, you can't own articles of thought
>>
>>47275436
Nigga you have AGRUS FUCKING KOS
>>
>>47276178
That isn't what I mean at all. Someone decided to buy an expensive card, be it a force of will or a gaea's cradle or whatever, they decided to spend a significant amount of money on the game almost as a token of their devotion to the game. I feel that it's somewhat rude to proxy a card like that if you're not going to buy it yourself.
>>
>>47276178
Chess isn't a collectible or trading game.

I don't get how people miss that MTG invented the TCG and CCG movement by combining a game with Baseball Cards.

You can't compare it to games that don't have that element when saying that the cards themselves have no worth.
>>
>>47276276

I think it's rude to proxy gaea's cradle only if nobody in your playgroup can afford it and they don't want to proxy

Because then you're deliberately putting a monetary constraint on your opponents chances of winning, I think it's also rude to play with your real gaea's cradle of nobody in your playgroup can afford decks at that level

The person who spent the big bucks on gaea's cradle can feel good about their devotion to the game because they are still the only one who actually did spend that money, compared to the proxy, what they have is exactly what they payed for, the real thing
>>
>>47276276

I think it really depends on the situation. I play with a regular playgroup, most of the folks there have a lot of disposable income and can just sort of buy whatever they want for decks. But we have a couple folks who can't, and so they proxy stuff because it leads to more balanced fun games for all the people involved.

It's a different thing though if you show up at a LGS with a bunch of proxied stuff, don't tell anyone and start slamming down your plains and chimney imps with Mishra's Workshop and Mana Crypt scrawled on them in pencil.
>>
>>47276355

I don't claim the cards have no worth

I collect them because I find them valuable, however the game itself is not the same as the collecting of official stylized game pieces
>>
>>47276468
It is a big part of the game. Just because some people don't acknowledge it, doesn't mean it isn't.

I'm all for proxying a card if you want to play a deck but can't get the cards at this very moment in time. It is impatient, but whatever. But if you don't ever intend to, you're ignoring a huge aspect of the game.
>>
>>47271230
I see why they think tribal was a mistake now, everybody wants to play the me-too game, but they're never happy with the existing tribes because it's too mainstream.
Not every creature type is going to be on par with others, and for some it doesn't even make sense for them to act as a tribe or a warring faction.
>>47274253
What an odd card. I had no idea wither-burn was a thing. Are there other examples of red getting -1/-1 counters on spells?
>>
>>47276852

-1/-1 counters were a shadowmoor theme, outside of that you almost never see -1/-1 counter themed cards outside black
>>
>>47276918
That's very strange, but I guess it worked thematically, right? I love when Wizards steps outside the comfort zone for a block.
>>
>>47267446
>Black dice has black lettering
>Same with purple
>What looks like no colouring on the lighter coloured orange and blue dice

Seriously that green one with white colouring is the only thing that didn't trigger me in that picture, barely.
>>
>>47276187
Nigger are you actually, unironically, actually suggesting that I should make Agrus Kos my Commander?

Because my dick is DIAMONDS if that is doable.
>>
>>47276986
Do it nigga

Run an assload of anthems and token makers

Then the instants that give +1/+0 and indestructible or whatever

Use Odric 1.0 for dem sweet tactics
>>
>tfw I'm the only person who buys singles
>everyone else just makes decks from draft/booster box chaff or uses precons
>>
I'm torn. My meta is fairly battlecruiser, but there is this one tryhard who really grinds my gears and I want to stick it to him. He runs three decks that I struggle with:

>mono white Anafenza +1/+1 swarm shenanigans with removal and godsend
>Mardu with Alesha Who Smiles at Death removal heavy tempo
>Trostani populate

I recently broke down three of my decks, and I'm trying to fuse them together, but it isn't working so hot. I had a Kruphix mana-ramp, a Geth goodstuff deck, and a xenagos glass cannon. I'm trying to figure out this mimeoplasm self-mill deck, but I think it's going to be suboptimal. What should I include so I could totally fuck up his day if we play? I don't have a shitload of money or resources, but I wouldn't mind spending or trading around $40 per single for two or three tear-bringers.
>>
File: everybody get up.jpg (282 KB, 1434x1434) Image search: [Google]
everybody get up.jpg
282 KB, 1434x1434
>>47277125
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mobilizing-the-troops/

I'M DOING IT, NIGGA

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING BUT I'M DOING IT, NIGGA
>>
I'm in a bit of a tough spot, fellow anons. My friends are slowly beginning to move away from the fun janky decks we used to play and are moving toward more well oiled decks. I figure that eventually, we'll move to a combo war meta. My question is, what's a good general that can be played for combo or for value, and can transition between the two?
>>
File: Image (18).jpg (34 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image (18).jpg
34 KB, 223x310
hey, /tg/, what should i include in pic related as wincons?
i'm joining new playgroup and don't want to scare people off with my love of combos
>>
>>47277577
What colours do you prefer?

>>47277686
If you're playing with new players and that monster janks its way to victory, you're going to scare them off pretty quick as it is unless they have a hidden Spike or Jeffery.
>>
>>47277705
Honestly, I'm pretty okay with playing any colors. I really like black and green, but I'm not too particular.
>>
>>47277577
>>47277804
The Gitrog Monster, definitely.
>>
>tfw no big rough RW player to slam you with damage and then bend you over the table and slam you again
>>
>>47277824
That would be a lot of fun, but the problem is, one of my friends is already running it.
>>
>>47277832
How do you build a half decent RW? I have a lot of red and a lot of white cards, I just don't know what the strategy for using them together is. Do you just swarm and drop bombs, or is that more RG?
>>
>>47277852

Tokens, LD, extra attack steps and stuff to protect your board. You need to drop MLD as soon as you are in a winning position and then ride that to victory. Stuff like Wheels and Mind's Eye can help keep the cards flowing.
>>
>>47277850
Call him a faggot, beat him up, and claim the frog as your own.
>>
>>47277890
Hmm, that actually sounds pretty do-able. How does a RW artifact deck with Darrieti precon parts, Kuldola Forgemaster, that angel from MM15 that gives artifacts shroud and the like? I don't know who would be a commander, but I think an artifact cycle with chumps, some targeted burn and indestructible could be pretty spicy.
>>
File: hisv.png (249 KB, 410x380) Image search: [Google]
hisv.png
249 KB, 410x380
>>47277832
>mfw I have a big rough Aurelia deck and want someone to slam over and over again
You're welcome at my... table, anytime.
>>
>>47276974

scar is certainly very flavorful, including its hybrid red black flavor, lots of different perspectives on scars
>>
File: 1456967970365.jpg (133 KB, 600x624) Image search: [Google]
1456967970365.jpg
133 KB, 600x624
>>47277936

Aureilia and Jor Kaden are both pretty spicy, maybe the new Avacyn?

>>47277944

Gay
>>
>>47277428
This deck is cheaper than I thought it would be. What obvious bullshit am I forgetting?
>>
>>47277705
so...are you saying that i should just stop giving a damn and go combo route anyway?
>>
>>47277984
I have the new Avacyn and was going to run it as a commander, but I got scared off when people in here said it was pretty bad. I've only been playing about 2 years so I tend to get a little overwhelmed when some people clearly know a lot more than I do.

Anyways, Jor Kadeen looks like a monster, and it's only $0.31!? Holy fuck, pure gold, thanks anon.
>>
>>47278032
She is a good card, just not a good commander.
>>
>>47278018
Yes. Just show up, combo-blast them to check their power level, and then run jank that takes ~8 turns to set up efficiently if they're overwhelmed.
>>
>>47278032

Happy to help, have fun in the red zone!
>>
>>47278048
Is that because there are generally better value commanders out there, or should the Avacyn be played in more of a surprise role? I guess if I saw the indestructible combat followed by a soft board wipe a mile away I'd tech against it pretty quick.

>>47278064
Thanks, anything secret that combos nicely with sunforger?
>>
>>47278079

First of all new avacyn is better in non edh formats because 3 damage board wipes are a lot more powerful there and so are Serra Angels, she's still good but edh is not the format she shines in

Secondly she is better in the 99 than as a commander, because the indestructible works better as a surprise
>>
>>47278079

Puresteel paladin is good with sunforger
Brass squire helps too
>>
>>47278079

Mistveil Plains
>>
>>47277944

>mfw I'm tired of being slammed rough by my co-worker's Aurelia voltron deck so I copied the general premise, changed red to green and made a Sigarda enchantress and now await the battle of the seraphs.
>>
>>47278153
I actually have both of those cards, that's awesome. I actually snagged the puresteel and an urabask the other day in two random New Phyrexia packs I certainly paid too much for.

>>47278157
Holy shit, that's amazing. It took me a second to realize what was going on, but that's a pretty spicy tech right there. Thank you very much.
>>
Need ideas for my Doran deck-in-tuning.

I've been running it as aggro with low-CMC, high toughness creatures (not going for treefolk tribal or walls). But the problem is it relies so heavily on Doran, if I cannot get him out or if he dies (repeatedly... thank goodness for Mirari's Wake) it is hard to actually deal damage.

I am considering putting in stuff like Jareth, Sun Titan and some of the even P/T treefolk. But I do run a lot of asymmetrical board wipes/control.
>>
>>47278432
You added the new Doran-esque cards they printed, right? Or other toughness matters cards?
>>
File: muh_generals.png (660 KB, 1276x547) Image search: [Google]
muh_generals.png
660 KB, 1276x547
I feel like i need more wincons for Alesha, besides just master of cruelties. It definitely has potential to do fun shenanigans besides master of cruelties, but i'm not entirely sure what else she needs for my build? tappedout.net/mtg-decks/allies-of-alesha-1/
>>
>>47273359
You get uncounterable artifacts until your opponents realize they can wait for part of the stack to resolve, then counter the spell.
>>
>>47278459

Yes, but as I mentioned: the deck really relies on Doran (or Assault Formation) to deal damage.
>>
>>47278639
Well, you could always do even simple shit like Feed the Pack, Doomgape, Kheru Bloodsucker, Kin-Tree Invocation, Korozda Guildmage, Scoure of Scola Vale, Sight of the Scalelords.

These things make use of your high toughness, but still make creatures with power or boost power, even if you don't get your toughness as power effects going.
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 200x283) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 200x283
Cards that turn your opponent into a red-assed baboon
>>
File: deflecting palm.png (129 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
deflecting palm.png
129 KB, 223x311
>>47278754
Holy fuck that's sexy. I need one of those.

This one always gets me.

>oh you're running mardu? I'll pick xenagos and shit on you in 5 turns
>fucks yes, my insanely pumped hydra is swinging for 40/40 even though it could probably kill you with much less pump but fuck it
>deflecting palm
>followed by a face palm
>>
>>47278754
this seems like an overcosted deflecting palm, desu
>>
>>47278680

Yeah, I have a few of those in there already. But I guess my theme was getting maximum efficiency with low CMC. I might ponder combo-type possibilities. I once won with Vizkopa + Rhox Faithmender + Trostani on the board for a massive life gain/drain. But I can't rely on such elaborate combos all the time.
>>
>>47278798
3 colourless for 1 red seems like a meh trade to me, but you use it in addition to deflecting palm for maximum tears due to instant speed stacks.
>>
>>47278808
Well, there aren't a lot of low CMC cards that care about toughness, other than I guess something like Kin-Tree Invocation.

I guess, I'm just curious what you are looking for. You could just run some aggressive dudes with square stats or Glorious Anthem variants.
>>
>>47278798
>>47278813
Well, the fun thing about the Mirror Strike is the creature gets to deal the damage, not the card.

It also interacts better with things like Double Strike.

Somewhere, someone lost to a Mirror Strike targetting a Blightsteel.
>>
>>47278798
key term is combat damage
>>
File: 1443293247214.jpg (72 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1443293247214.jpg
72 KB, 540x540
>>47278839
>Somewhere, someone lost to a Mirror Strike targetting a Blightsteel.
That's hilarious, oh my goodness.
>>
File: fuck you doge.jpg (57 KB, 600x503) Image search: [Google]
fuck you doge.jpg
57 KB, 600x503
>>47278868

THAT DOG RUINED MY LIFE
>>
>>47278830

Well, actually, there's lots of 1-4 CMC stuff with high toughness. I'd been relying on that for going full aggro and getting Doran out Turn 3 to start swinging for big combat damage. But now I am thinking, maybe I was going about it in too much of a Selesnya way: embiggening and protecting. I may need to embrace Orzhov's life drain and Golgari's sac/graveyard effects. I might drop in Graveblade Marauder, Treasury Thrull, Sidisi, and some stuff from Meren.
>>
>>47278879
I'm sorry anon, how did it ruin your life? Someone posted this one time and I remember "that guy" who actually bought one of these if it makes you feel any better.
>>
File: 1462319519812.png (170 KB, 375x374) Image search: [Google]
1462319519812.png
170 KB, 375x374
>>47278955

That dog killed my father in a scuffle over a tennis ball in 1987, the dog wanted to play fetch and pulled a knife when my father pretended to throw the ball but had really kept it in his hand. He was never caught and I was raised alone by my grieving mother who had to sell herself to help ends meet. One day I will find that dog, and I will avenge my father.
>>
>>47278476
>>47278476
You want alesha combos you came to the right guy. Reveillark and karmic guide loops to reanimate your whole yard, and perform well on their own. murderous redcap combos with anafenza or cathar's crusade. If you want to get even cuter, fiend hunter and either karmic guide or sun titan loop. So does leonin relic warder and animate dead, but you have to stack the triggers correctly (etb exile the aura, sac in response to animate dead ltb on the stack). The problem is all of these need a sac outlet though. Goblin bombardment, and blasting station can net infinite damage, ashnods or phyrexian altar net mana, altar of dementia mills the table, and viscera seer pseudo tutors.
>>
>>47278934
>Well, actually, there's lots of 1-4 CMC stuff with high toughness.

I said "cares about high toughness", ie. has a means of turning that shit into damage.
>>
>>47275381
>proxy
> a mountain with the word crucible of worlds in sharpie
>no text other than the name
This is my one problem with proxies, if you cant write the abilities in there how can anyone reference the card for interactions. Im not going to oracle your whole deck because youre too much of a jew to buy the game youre playing and also too lazy to pretend you care.
>>
>>47279089

Marker proxies are for fags I prefer an image of the card
>>
File: y u do this.jpg (20 KB, 454x320) Image search: [Google]
y u do this.jpg
20 KB, 454x320
>>47279089
>marker proxies
>not putting a slip of paper thats a printout of the card in the sleeve
>>
>>47275436
Razia is a Bad option too
>>
File: Arcbond.png (137 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Arcbond.png
137 KB, 223x311
So I started building Zada, and I'm wondering what exactly happens when you Arcbond a bunch of guys and one of them takes damage.
I'm guessing something along the lines of everything dies?
>>
File: fuck off.gif (499 KB, 400x306) Image search: [Google]
fuck off.gif
499 KB, 400x306
>>47279358

Do you just not know how rules work at all, like what part of this really simple interaction do you need explained to you?
>>
>>47279358
You don't Arcbond a bunch of guys, you Arcbond one and enjoy as you deal however much damage that one guy takes to everyone. Be careful, it rarely works the way you want because you as a player also take damage, as well as any planeswalkers either player controls.
>>
>>47279394
So the idea is not to cast Arcbond targeting Zada then?
Suppose you target Zada and you have 10 other guys, giving you 11 Arcbonds. When one takes 2 damage, it then deals it to everything else, and the other 10 then deal 2 to everything?
I'm fucking dumb and just had a pretty tough exam so bear with me if you would.
>>47279377
Fuck you too
>>
>>47279329
Razia is genuinely awful. I'm going to see if this Agrus Kos is actually viable or if I'm being taken for a ride by /tg/
>>
>>47279426

Why are stupid people always so upset when you point out that they are stupid?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 53

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.