[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41
File: memesv2.jpg (60 KB, 680x239) Image search: [Google]
memesv2.jpg
60 KB, 680x239
Read the Damn Book Edition.

Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

>New-ish official PDF
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27

What are the stupidest things you've seen people mess up on rules wise?

I used to think you could get 2 feats per ASI, or one feat and +1 to a stat. I designed all my NPCs like this.
>>
>>47265552
My biggest rule mistake that I can think of is my misuse of twin spell. Apparently you can't target the same person with two casts of firebolt or any other single target spell with the twin spell metamagic. I feel dumb for misreading it for so long.
>>
I had a DM who is much more used to 3.5 than 5e, who had, in one turn, an NPC cleric cast Animate Dead from a hidden location on a dragon just slain by the party. When it was pointed out that Animate Dead has a range of 10 feet and takes a minute to cast and can't target dragon corpses, the response was, "It's OK, he has a gem." Which is such a non-sequitur I'm thinking of using it in my own games.
>>
Are there any germanspeakers in here? Me and my group are close to the end of Rise of Tiamat and planning on running OotA next. One of our players just left because of having not enough time so we are looking for a replacement. We normally play on Sundays between 7 and 10pm Berlin time.
>>
>>47265622
I missed that too. I think we have good company in that.
>>
>>47265552
>I designed all my NPCs like this.
Designing NPCs like player characters is a bad idea anyway.
>>
>>47265552
The only weird I saw players do:
>Rerolls 1s and 2s not only on GWF but on hex, smite and similar
I also did that
>Martial arts AND FoB
Took me 10 minutes to make the guy understand there was only one bonus action in the game
>Spellcasting focus, free hand and somatic only spells
Took me a lot to make people understand this
>Hand crossbows and shields
I did this at first till errata fucked me over

As for GMs
>Thinks monsters have hide on plain sight, all of them
>Thinking if a monster have several actions he can do ALL in his turn
>Thinking adding +10 to damage, AC, hit, etc to a monster still doens't increase its difficulty
>Long etc
Couldn't convince them (yeah, them, 3 GMs who refused each one of them on rereadin the PHB, DMG, MM or even read what I was showing them at the moment) otherwise so I ended leaving the game because having a TPK per session wasn't funny
>>
>>47265622
>never properly read twin spell
>allow my sorcerer player to twin his fireball
It was funny, but it won't happen again
>>
>>47265552

Spell slots. Spells they generally understand- and are ready to argue their applicability as I don't know them all by heart.

But spell slots? I've had only one player who never mucked them up, and she'd been playing since she was a youngling. The rest have had variety of issues, from not understanding how you get them back to what they even are.
>>
>>47265552
Not necessarily a mess up as far as rules go, but when I ran my first campaign the DMG hadn't come out so I had no idea how the loot tables worked, and I just handed out gold and magic items willy-nilly.
>>
>>47265675
>german
Just use English like everyone else.
T. not a burger or a bong
>>
>>47265552
Brief rules dispute. I'm the DM and I had a villain on a balcony casting spells at the players below. The spellcaster player character casts thorn whip to pull the bad guy over the railing and make him take fall damage.
>That's cool, roll to hit.
He rolls 16, it hits. Guy takes 1d6 piercing damage and is pulled 10 ft.
>Because he's going over the edge of the railing, the bad guy can make a strength save to avoid falling by grabbing onto the edge.
Player disagrees, says the spell wraps him up in magic vines and he should be pulled over with no save.

I can see that his argument makes sense, RAW. The attack beat his AC, so he should get pulled. But I think that in any circumstance where some creatures is moved against their will over an edge where they might fall, they should get a save, either strength, dex, or con. If the player character was gusted or mind controlled or shoved or else forced to move off the edge into a instant death lava pit, they'd be pretty mad if they didn't get a save. The same should be true for npcs.

In this case the consequences were minor, since they beat the guy anyway, but in the future I want thorn whip and other push and pull abilities to be consistent.

What do you think about this ruling?
>>
>>47266217
we're 5 friends from Germany, Austria and Switzerland, why would we ever do that?
>>
>>47266249

Because English is the superior language.
>>
>>47266227
NPCs don't have to be tied to the same rules as PCs though. The PC could easily say, "I make sure the vines wrap around his arms." And that could render the idea of a STR save moot. Personally, I think if the spell itself doesn't call for a save them it shouldn't need one.
>>
>>47266227
Abilities with saving throws or attack rolls already have a failure chance built into them. Don't make it worse.

>From a forever DM
>>
>>47266252
Now you're just being goofy
>>
>>47266303

Maybe, but it's still true.
>>
>>47266227
Honestly, I think your in the right for trying to rule that he could try to save. However, if the players want it to be done more by raw, then I'd advise doing as such. Just let them know that that path goes both ways.
>>
>>47266227
>>47266294
To add onto what I said, you'll start making the players think creative stuff won't work if you add extra failure chances when they do something clever. Things get boring when players stop doing unexpected things.
>>
>>47266319
>>47266322
>Just let them know that that path goes both ways.

That's where a lot of the fun of being a DM comes from. It's easy to shut down any bitching about how unfair something is when you're doing exactly what an ability says it does instead of making up anything.
>>
>>47266227
You're in the right here. Players being crafty with their spells is great and all, but since pulling monsters off ledges is not intended use of the spell, they should get a chance to resist.
>>
What's the best combat style for a Crown Oath Paladin? I was originally planning to go S&B with Shield Master, but one of my friends says that the Crown features better suit someone with Polearm Master & Sentinel.
>>
>>47266756
>What's the best combat style for a Crown Oath Paladin?
Not being a crown paladin.
>>
I think I made a mistake

I made a tough kobold guard a baby dragon, and the players have just taken the baby instead of giving it to the guy who gave them the quest. What do I do
>>
>>47266794

baby dragon is probably hungry all the time and uncooperative. it wont grow up to be able to do anything as long as the pc's are alive and adventuring. they would have to tame it and feed it for months before it would be useful, and by then they would be so strong that it wouldn't help them any more than a regular familiar.

it can always run away, too.
>>
>>47266600
>pulling monsters off ledges is not the intended use
>the intended use is pulling monsters
Why does it matter what elevation they're at? You've got more of a basis to say that you can't target a barrel and pull it since it's an object, not a creature, and the spell description doesn't mention objects.

>>47266294
This guy has it right. You might give an extra save-your-ass chance to a PC who thinks quick (grabbing a railing to avoid getting swept off a deck when the fucking lizardmen attack his boat) but monsters are made to get murdered and already had their chance. Does the creature even have an interesting feature that would let him use his reaction to grab something? Are you going to let every PC make Strength saves to avoid force movement if there's literally anything nearby to grab at some point during the move? If a Battlemaster starts using Pushing Attack, are enemies going to make extra Dex saves to bend over and dig their fingers into the dirt so they stop their slide after just five feet?
>>
>>47266756
S&B is never best. You do that style because you think it's cool, not for optimization. Crown doesn't really have fighting style synergy other than champion's challenge being kind of ok with Sentinel. Polearms go well with Sentinel, and Polearm Master is a good feat.
>>
>>47266816
To add to your second point: the law of averages eventually gets to the PCs anyway. Eventually the d20 does not smile on the PCs and it fucks them over. Don't make it worse on them by giving them more chances to fail. A PC by default has more chances at failure than any NPC because only the most extraordinary of NPCs would have to risk failure as much as an average PC.
>>
>>47266816
>>47266294
>>47266227

Grasping vine is only 30' range. The balcony is less than 30' and the guy can only be pulled if he's directly above the vine. At most, it's going to do 2d6 damage, and maybe it would be fine to give the enemy a dex save to mitigate that. He can react because the vine doesn't grapple.

The balcony wasn't a massive positional advantage if he was close enough to get hit by a thrown weapon anyway.

If the caster isn't someone that can levitate or misty step to make the vine's effect negligible over more than one turn, is he even worth saving?
>>
>>47266227
You're the GM so it's your call, just as long as the check doesn't negate any of the movement of the push/pull because that is straight-up 100% not okay.
The problem with situations like this is that you can swear on every book ever written and sign a contract with your own virgin blood that it's a rule now until the end of time and it will work the same way for any-one any-time they ever get put into the same situation but until it does actually happen again there's no difference between a one-time rule and a one-time asspull. But it does have the added benefit of letting you know just how much trust and respect your players have for you as a GM.
>>
File: geddafugout.gif (5 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
geddafugout.gif
5 MB, 320x240
>>47266828
>S&B is never best
The two fighters and barbarian in my group grinding every enemy into the ground beneath their shields disagree. one of our fighters is essentially Captain Amnerica
>>
>>47266885
Yeah and they could do it even better with 2 handed weapons. I didn't say S&B was bad.
>>
>>47266911
>you could knock enemies down constantly better if you didn't have a bonus action to knock prone
What exactly is it that you think Shield Master does?
>>
>>47266927
What do you think Trip Attack does? What if 1 of those character is S&B and the other is 2 handed fighter with GWM to take advantage of the constant prone? Your style is perfectly acceptable and works fine, but it's not the best.
>>
>>47266816
Its intention is to pull monsters towards you, not instakill them by dropping them off a ledge. A saving throw is justified.
>>
>>47266979

So paladin that can't use trip attack is completely fine to S&B, which is what I thought was the point anyway.
>>
>>47266979
Not that anon, but S&B and GWM are equally as good fighting styles. The main difference is tankiness and potential advantage every turn vs full blown offense, even potentially at the cost of accuracy. GWM will always win in terms of damage, but the loss of AC and the sacrifice of accuracy to deal more damage Ultimately makes them a high risk for high reward fighter. S&B is much more safe and does it's job very effectively. Just my two cents on the matter.
>>
>>47266979
Initiative order doesn't always put your GWMers after your KDers but before the enemies have a chance to stand. Burning reactions to delay is a potential loss of DPR, especially if we're talking a high Battlemaster party who could be making use of Riposte/Commander's Strike.

Dogpiling enemies with one basher and several GWMers works best against large solo creatures, but dogpiling always works on large solo creatures regardless of whether or not you've got KDers/grapplers and GWMers since that's how action economy works.

GWMers are best in a dense group of thick weaklings who can be cleaved through, but this bunches up the party and makes them vulnerable to AoEs. But before you even get there, you've got the enemies bunched up, which means THEY'RE vulnerable to AoEs (which your frontline may now be standing in the way of).

Supplying free advantage without resource limitation (superiority die) is fantastic. Neutering multiple enemies each round keeps the threat down even if enemies are eliminated at a slower pace due to lower damage. GWM hits aren't guaranteed (though it's a safer bet with advantage), however neither are knockdown attempts which give that advantage, so multiple chances to ensure an enemy is on their ass is valuable.

No one with GWM is making their heavy swings literally every attack regardless of an enemy's remaining HP, AC, and state of advantage.

If you want a damage-heavy party that does not regularly gain advantage through knockdown (especially if they can gain it through other means) you can always rely on Sharpshooters instead. Classes that utilize this with the Archery fighting style have much less risk in making their aimed shots without advantage, and it only takes one hit that would have been a miss to compensate for the slightly lower damage (no rerolling 1/2 and slightly smaller damage die, both things which could extremely theoretically never come up).

The DPR of a dead GWMer is zero.
>>
>>47267038
The polearm master can do trip with one of his attacks, and he gains a bonus action attack. He can attack the same number of times as the S&B guy does, also tripping, and he has the option for a 3 attack turn if prone isn't necessary.

>>47267092
Yes I never said S&B was bad. Making a fighter longer by having more defenses is often countered by giving the enemies longer to survive to attack more. Unless your enemies already need a roll of 15 or so to hit you, the shield isn't necessarily making a big difference in the number of times you're being hit per combat.

>>47267170
Why are your potential 2 weapon fighting types providing advantage instead of your casters/token monk anyway? Best way to fight defensively is take all your enemies actions away. Kill, stun, paralyze, charm, blind, etc.
>>
>>47267034
Thorn Whip has a range of 30 feet. The most it could drop an enemy is 25 fight, since you can't exactly hit an enemy who is on a ledge directly above you (there'd be a ledge giving him full cover) and an enemy who flies under their own power isn't made to fall if they are forced to move (only if they have zero movement or are knocked prone).

Falling is 1d6 per 10 feet fallen. Is an extra 2d6 going to instakill everything you fight, assuming this entire campaign takes place in a 25 foot tall gorge?

If you must give the enemy another roll, make it a Dex/Acrobatics save/check to avoid/reduce fall damage or the resulting prone; the thing your player wanted to happen (pulling the enemy off the ledge) happened, they just didn't get extra damage and a free knockdown out of it.
>>
>>47266264
>>47266294
>>47266319
>>47266322
>>47266338
>>47266600
>>47266816
>>47266861
>>47266876
>>47266881
>>47267034
>>47267272

Thanks for the input. I'll roll with it for now that it will pull any creature and reasonably sized object 10 ft, as per the spell description. The player wants to have fun as a controlling mage so for unimportant badguys getting yanked off ledges is a nice cinematic way for them to be dispatched. This particular bad guy was just a mook so it's not a big deal that he get dunked off the ledge.

However I do think that the concept of applying saves to effects that don't explicitly call for it is valid. For example, a ledge with no railing might be no contest, while a ledge with battlements allows the target to try to brace themselves. Similarly, what if the target is hiding behind a wall with arrowslits or behind the bars of a cage? Something clearly stops their movement in this case, and calling a houserule I think is appropriate.

My main point is that environmental ledges can be a 2d6 fall damage, or a 20d6 instant death pit, depending on context, and I wonder how long until a PC is in the position where they could fall to their death on a single roll of the dice.

I did forget about the range, and in fact going back over from memory there were a lot of spell effects going off that I now realize were wrong. I'll have to have a copy of the characters spell sheets to double check things like ranges, especially if and when exact rules in question are being disputed.
>>
File: shoving.png (25 KB, 295x97) Image search: [Google]
shoving.png
25 KB, 295x97
>>47267271
>substituting your Polearm Master bonus attack with a trip or shove
I'm not saying this is what you're suggesting, but it could be interpreted that way, and I don't think it's RAW or RAI. Making special melee attacks replaces one of the swings in your main Attack action, not a bonus action granted by TWF/Polearm Master/Martial Arts/Flurry of Blows. The prodigious tripping power Monks have therefore comes from Open Hand's prone/shove on any unarmed hit.

This wording is the same for grappling. It wouldn't make much sense if you could dual-wield to get another attack with your bonus action, then drop your sword to make a grappling attempt with your free hand, would it?

If you're suggesting the Polearm Master replaces one of his main Attack action swings with the special attack, and gets his "same number of attacks as the S&B guy" thanks to the bonus action swing, yes, but that's just a shitty d4. The damage disparity isn't huge (2d8 vs. 1d4+1d10), but it's there.
>>
>>47267317

> I wonder how long until a PC is in the position where they could fall to their death on a single roll of the dice

exactly when you make the situation happen. there aren't many things that push a player more than 10'. then you have to have one of them in an are where there is a 200' deep hole. given how weak spells and abilities that push things are, i'm pretty sure throwing creatures into hazards is exactly the intention.
>>
>>47267272
Yes, if he's aiming up as in that exact case, but in case a player's pulling a monster horizontally off a bridge or something, a save is more than reasonable. And so, for consistency's sake, would be pulling an opponent downwards.
>>
>>47265552
not exactly a rule mistake buuuuut:
>Friend makes a Paladin focused on actually casting his spells on enemies
>only has 14 Wis
>complains that Paladins suck, can't do anything, and have terrible action economy
>>
>>47265552
My DM ruled that all shots from a shortbow under 30 ft would be with disadvantage. I tried explaining that ranged attacks are only disadvantaged within 5ft or between the two range values given but they just said "I'm making a call!" and left it at that.
>>
>>47267900
No wonder I was so bad at archery classes.
>>
>>47265793
>Thinks monsters have hide on plain sight, all of them
Did he also let them do this as a fee action?
>Thinking if a monster have several actions he can do ALL in his turn
Oh god why
>Thinking adding +10 to damage, AC, hit, etc to a monster still doens't increase its difficulty
WHAT. WHAT. WHAAAAT????
>Long etc
wat
>>
>>47267822
Why would he pump wis? He's not a cleric

>>47267900
That DM is a shitbag unless he has the same rules for spells
>>
>>47267922
>Why would he pump wis? He's not a cleric
because he was focusing on casting, casting spells on enemies, spells with save dc's, not just properly walking up to enemies and fisting the evil right out of them
>>
>>47267900
80ft* sorry wrong value
>>
>>47267953
Paladin spells are charisma based, so they use CHR bonus for the DCs
>>
>>47265552
My first character started as a tanky fighter, but because of the campaign I decided to go Eldritch Knight at level 3. I think I casted Chromatic Orb over 20 times and never consumed the components like I was supposed to.
>>
>>47267976
gah, whatever, you know what i mean, his casting stat.
>>
>>47267900
Did you post this a few threads ago?

I remember a story like this inciting a thread derailment. Some dumb fuck supported the DM in question by suggesting that a stationary deer at 80ft away is easier to hit than a moving chipmunk at 30 because relative lateral displacement is inversely proportional to distance.

>implying it would be easier to shoot a running chipmunk at 80 feet than it would at 30 feet

>hurr, it would be easier to shoot a airplane than a plane taking off that's 30 feet away
>because the airborne plane is barely moving
>but the runway plane is moving so fast
>>
>>47267900

>My DM ruled that all shots from a shortbow under 30 ft would be with disadvantage.

Somehow we've reached this point. Despite shooting within 30 ft was rewarded in 3.5, of all things.
>>
>>47267988
>I think I casted Chromatic Orb over 20 times and never consumed the components like I was supposed to.
Material components aren't consumed unless it's stated otherwise.
>>
File: archfey_Princess_Merin.jpg (9 KB, 500x324) Image search: [Google]
archfey_Princess_Merin.jpg
9 KB, 500x324
>>47268024
Yeah I remember that haha. I'm also the guy who keeps posting about his Fey patron being a tumblr fanfic writer using his PC as her 'donut steele' character.
>>
>>47268035
You are thinking of focuses. Materials are used up.
>>
>>47268129
Disregard this I'm a retard. I just checked the book and they've removed the distinction between material components and focuses. Its all material components on a case by case basis now. Weird.
>>
>>47268176
>>47268129
This is why reading the book is important.
>>
>>47267317
You are going to want to make sure you keep everything internally consistent. If he gets an extra save after being yanked into a pit, players are going to want the same treatment every time they would fall into a pit trap or the like.

That being said, it dampens the impacts of dangerous environments if you do this. Once I had my players climbing a magic beanstalk thousands of feet high. There was an encounter up there where one of my PCs used Shatter on some enemies and the portion of the beanstalk they were on. I had all of the enemies there plummet to their deaths which made the pcs realize how dangerous the situation they were in was. They started trying ropes to each other and hammering pitons into the beanstalk, and making sure the few leaves they found for purchase were more stable, etc. The encounter vastly improved the amount of roleplaying and forethought the PCs put into their actions, and it made the game feel more "real" than the "videogame" safety you would have included.

TLDR; If you give your PCs actions more weight, they will respect your environment and NPCs that much more, since they understand the same dangerous things can happen to them.
>>
>>47268129
The plural of focus is foci
>>
What would happen if you tried to turn a bag of holding inside out?
>>
>>47269441
This message brought to you by P.O.E.M. U., the professional organization of english majors (unemployable)
>>
>>47269498
All the contents would be dumped out and the bag would look like a normal bag when turned inside out. It's not until you put a portable hole in a bag of holding that shit gets dicey.
>>
>>47269501
You're actually proud of being ignorant? Literally nigger tier, anon.
>>
>>47269935
I doubt it was even the same anon, waltzing into a thread just to correct someones spelling or grammar and providing nothing else is pretty high tier autism.

Can you use UA stuff in AL? I already have a group but I kind of want to try some of the weird UA stuff.
>>
>>47269992
UA is not AL legal, but if it's just a home game then it's all up to DM approval.
>>
File: Nobody ever expects.jpg (163 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Nobody ever expects.jpg
163 KB, 1280x720
>>47266756
>Not playing Oath of the Crown with Dueling fighting style
>Not playing Dex-paladin
>Not being pic related
>>
>>47267516
How about substituting one the attacks you would have with extra attack so there's no interpretation to be made? Or is /tg/ now going to tell me level 5 is higher than most people play now? The polearm master bonus attack still triggers with the one regular attack. All the GWF/GWM stuff can be applied to the polearm master bonus attack.
>>
>>47270085
Read the fucking post, that's exactly what he suggested.

>If you're suggesting the Polearm Master replaces one of his main Attack action swings with the special attack, and gets his "same number of attacks as the S&B guy" thanks to the bonus action swing, yes, but that's just a shitty d4. The damage disparity isn't huge (2d8 vs. 1d4+1d10), but it's there.
>>
How much worse would a STR-based rogue be than a DEX one? I want to play a half-orc rogue.
>>
>>47270317
A fucking huge amount. All of your important skills are under dex, you need a finesse weapon to sneak attack so no 2handers, and half-orcs are gay as fuck.
>>
File: 1457888801250.jpg (44 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1457888801250.jpg
44 KB, 600x600
>>47270081

>using finesse weapons when you have heavy armor proficiency
>>
>>47270317
How much Rogue do you want? Rogue / Barbarian using a Rapier with Strength is a legit strategy - expertise Athletics, Reckless Attack to easily Sneak Attack, etc. Plus, Orc works well with Barbarian.

Straight Rogue won't work well at all.
>>
>>47270408

it's also thrown weapons, for which you can use strength
>>
>>47270317
You do need a finesse weapon to sneak attack but to my knowledge, you don't need to actually apply your Dexterity to the damage/attack.

I would recommend keeping Dex high as a Rogue, however. If you don't mind the hit to your Dex-based skills or just don't plan on using them, there's probably a better class to use.
>>
>>47270461
I'm cool with having highish dex too, it would just be a shame to let the +2 str go to waste.
>>
>>47270408
>reckless attack to get sneak attack damage
Talk about rules lawyering.
>>
>>47270576
>using advantage to gain sneak attack
>rules lawyering

I suppose you think using action surge to cast two spells in a round to be rules lawyering, too?
>>
>>47270508
Personally, I like the concept. Just make sure your Dex and Str are high(ish). High Str for a Rogue can be wasted though, realistically; if you use weapons suited to sneak attacks, your Str won't be put to its best use. If you don't use finesse, though or only use finesse weapons for ambushes at the beginning of an encounter or whatever, you'll see a lot fewer sneak attacks and thus a lot less damage.

>>47270408 is right, though. Rapier stronk.
>>
So, I'm pretty new to 5e, or rather, D&D as a whole. The last campaign I played (which ended up falling apart), I ended up pretty decent in combat but not much else. This time around, I want to try Rogue/Bard, since their skill kit seems like I could contribute more to the group this time around.

How do I live up to my background as a light-fingered con-artist and all-around charlatan, without being That One Rogue Player, or That Guy in general? I read so many cringe stories about rogues done wrong, going full klepto, and I was hoping for some solid advice for a newbie?
>>
>>47270317
A str based rogue can work. The main thing is you still need dex for ac so your not dying in melee, and your ranged combat will be lackluster at best. Your best race for a build like this is mountain dwarf for massive str and con bonuses and medium armor proficiency. Pick up breastplate or half plate and get a14 dex and max out str. That's how I would do it at least.
>>
>>47270647
No, because that's intended behaviour. EKs have access to spells after all. However, attacking with reckless abandon and aiming precisely don't go hand in hand.
>>
>>47270923
If having access to something makes it "intended behavior", why is a barbrogue having reckless attack and sneak attack not "intended behavior"?
>>
>>47270951

Obviously the foe is distracted by your recklessness.
>>
>>47270982

>holy shit what is he doing the absolute madma-
>>
>>47270951
Behaviour. If you're going to use a language, do it properly.

Anyway. Multclassing as a whole is an optional rule, and some class combinations are unexpected, resulting in synergy that wasn't intended. Feint maneuever is fair enough, since you can reasonably do that to find the weakness to exploit. Reckless attack is not.
>>
>>47271179
Except it's totally intended.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/12/17/reckless-barbarian-rogue/
>>
>>47270861
Just do all that bad shit but don't do it in a way that hurts the party. No class is inherently dickish or harmful to team composition (no alignment either but that's another story), so just remember to swipe from and insult people that impede your party, not that other PC who may have scruples about how you do your thing, he'll come around.

DnD is at it's core a team game, no reason to dick over your team (hoarding loot and magic items, making background deals with BBEG) except to make drama that will most likely make everyone have a not fun time.
>>
File: how to not be bad.png (272 KB, 318x360) Image search: [Google]
how to not be bad.png
272 KB, 318x360
>>47271179

>not distracting your foe with an opening for attack while you subtly attack them at the same time

please come back when you can rpg
>>
>>47270861
Always remember that "It's what my character would do" is shitty justification for fucking over the rest of the party. It's your job to justify why your con-artist isn't going to con the rest of the players, sort of thing.
>>
>>47271194
Is this the guy who decided you can't use cunning action to dash as a rogue if you hit with a weapon in your offhand?
>>
>>47271285
He's one of the game designers, so... yes. You only get one bonus action in a turn.
>>
>>47271277
Isn't that how the MC from Jade Empire worked? He had a subtle hole in his guard that people would always be distracted trying to find, but he'd use their distraction to kill them..
>>
>>47271277
That's called gaming the system. But using strength to hit with a rapier is retarded to begin with, so whatever. Guess the easiest way to fix this dilemma is to rule that you need to use dex to take advantage of sneak attack. I think I'll go with that.
>>
File: 1458751280573.png (41 KB, 334x181) Image search: [Google]
1458751280573.png
41 KB, 334x181
>>47271179
>>47271194
>>47271277
>>47271323
>>
>>47270861
Pass note to the DM whenever you wanna be a thieving fuck and never try to steal things beyond your means. Go for small stuff always and whenever you get caught just pretend it was the first time.
>>
>>47271285
Yes, because you only get one bonus action per turn. Off-hand attacks and Cunning Actions both require a bonus action.
>>
>>47271323
Oh, so he's a retard. Carry on then.
>>
>>47271357
Yes, that was the point. It's idiotic.
>>
>>47271179
>>47271285

>mad when rules enable barb/rogue to reckless sneak attack
>mad when rules prevent rogue from taking more bonus actions than other classes

why not just play a different game if you don't like the rules
>>
>>47271378

>I should be able to do as many things as I want
>>
File: 5E Gem Warrior p1 small.png (2 MB, 1042x1474) Image search: [Google]
5E Gem Warrior p1 small.png
2 MB, 1042x1474
No homebrew general, so I'll just toss this up in here. Made some 5e SU stuff a while back, bringing it all up to a nicer visual quality in photoshop.

Not gonna post the old stuff, but if you want to see it, I keep a blog where I can just toss everything to keep it on one place: http://sharp-big.tumblr.com/
>>
>>47271417
Oh it's no problem, I'll just modify the rules when the make zero sense. That's the advantage of being foreverDM.
>>
File: 5E Gem Warrior p2 small.png (2 MB, 1042x1474) Image search: [Google]
5E Gem Warrior p2 small.png
2 MB, 1042x1474
>>
>>47271437
No, but lack of consistency in the rules is bad. You don't need a bonus action to hit with a greataxe, even though you're using your offhand. Nocking an arrow and shooting a bow similarly doesn't require a bonus action. You always get a bonus from a shied which is -you guessed it- on your offhand. Thus, hitting with a dagger in your support hand shouldn't eat that bonus action either.
>>
>>47271448
>>47271472
I don't have enough vomiting anime girls for this.
I'm not sure if anybody has.
>>
>>47271508
You're really reaching there, compadre. Two-weapon fighting involves making an *extra* attack over the ones you can normally make. You're still making one attack with a great axe when using both hands, you still make only one attack with the bow when using two hands, and the shield is not being used for an attack, just for defense.
>>
File: 1449827013444.jpg (274 KB, 599x450) Image search: [Google]
1449827013444.jpg
274 KB, 599x450
so what are some good monsters that fuck with an all magic party?
>>
>>47271508
>You don't need a bonus action to hit with a greataxe, even though you're using your offhand. Nocking an arrow and shooting a bow similarly doesn't require a bonus action. You always get a bonus from a shied which is -you guessed it- on your offhand.

there's a clear difference in time, though. When you attack with a greataxe, shoot a bow or wear a shield you are using both of your hands at the same time. An off-hand attack is a second attack made *after* your original attack, and thus requires you to give up doing other things that you could be doing instead.
>>
>>47271541
Yes, it's an extra attack that you take with the offhand. A two-handed weapon is a single attack that uses up both your hands.

Oh and you have to bring a shield up to meet an attack to get any use out of it.
>>
>>47271558
Another party of Fighter Battlemaster Tavern Brawling Mage Slayers and something that can cast Silence.
>>
>>47271558

anything with magic resistance. water elementals and darkmantles (whelm and engulf are STR only). rakshasas and helmed horrors. phase spiders also do massive damage if whatever they hit fails con, and they can walk up to whoever they want without much threat.

suppose anything that can disarm a caster of their focus would also be good. invisible creatures can steal components and interrupt concentration.
>>
>>47271633
>>47271638

ah thanks!
>>
>>47271593
Not after, simultaneously.
>>
>girl joining group that's already been playing a few sessions
>she isn't on skype at the start time
>we wait
>20 minutes later she shows up
>her character isn't ready yet
>I mut the call to watch adventure time while I wait
>more than one and a half hours later they're all still helping her build her character

meh
>>
Can you gentlemen suggest a simple, level 1, pre-made adventure? I'm just getting to DM a game, and I'd like to get my bearings before diving into my own campaign.
>>
>>47271558

ninjas (shadow monk/assassins). silence, mobility, teleporting, stealth, sneak attacks
>>
>>47271672

well that's just silly.

>>47271702

Lost Mines is really really good
>>
>>47271633
>flashbangs through the doors / windows
>Silence field immediately follows
>every party member is bumrushed by an enemy that disarms their focus, knocks them to the ground, and puts them in a headlock
>the rest of combat is just a bunch of burly dwarves and half-orcs silently slamming the mages' faces into the ground until they die
>>
>>47271723
>slamming the mages' faces into the ground
Fuck that, once the NPCs have removed their ability to fight back they should just drag them away somewhere.
>>
>>47271742
>dragging mages out of the Silence aura
You knock them unconscious first so you have time to gag and slip on the anti-magic manacles.
>>
>>47271777
You can gag them and manacle them whilst their conscious which is more "fun" for the players when they get dragged off bound, gagged and awake.
>>
>>47271702
I second what this anon >>47271715 said. Lost mines is a great introductory adventure for players and dm's alike. Plus its pretty cool too.
>>
>>47271558
Beholder, if theyre too high level that beholder lord.
>>
>>47271715
It's not silly, it's how bonus actions work. Consider standard action and healing word, you can gather the divine energy and say the word while you beat a nigga. Bonus actions are commonly things that are so easy to perform you can accomplish them while doing some other task.
>>
>>47265622
There's also a Sage Advice explaining how you can't twin spells with a variable number of targets like Scorching Ray
>>
>>47270404
currently playing a fighter with
Str: 15
Dex: 16
Con: 13
int: 16
wis: 12
cha: 10

due to an incident involving a werewolf. now im sticking to rapier until i get that strength up. just because im decked in plate with a shield doesnt mean im gonna use a weapon i hit less with
>>
Hey fuck niggas, no more UA? That was the only shit worth looking forward to beyond lengthy releases. Whats next? Journey to the Unicorn Valley by that faggot Chris Perkins? LOL j/k he seems p. cool, suck my cock
>>
I use a rapier and wear plate armor. It works.
Nobody beats Lucky Ted and his Lucky re-rolls. They get trounced on, that's what happens.
>>
>>47271948
Actual UA is once every month now. They put one out last month, this month was another DMs Guild spotlight. There will be a new one next month.

Probably a collection of feats if Mearls' Twitter is anything to go off of.
>>
>>47271948
Policy right now seems to be highlighting popular/good content on the DMs guild.

They're getting shit on for it, so they'll probably change it.
>>
File: woolie smug.png (221 KB, 500x381) Image search: [Google]
woolie smug.png
221 KB, 500x381
>>47272000
>Lucky Ted
>>
File: charlotte.jpg (74 KB, 478x1000) Image search: [Google]
charlotte.jpg
74 KB, 478x1000
>>47272000
There's nothing wrong with plate and a rapier.
SPLASH FRONT SPLASH FRONT SPLASH FRONT SPLASH FRONT SPLASH FRONT POWER GRADATION SPLASH FRONT SPLASH FRONT
>>
>My brother wants to DM a game for his friends who haven't played tabletop before
>Asks to borrow my books
>Not the 5th Edition
>He's doing 3.5 because he likes big numbers and thinks that lack of skill ranks lessens customization options
>Bunch of other reasons too
Am I in the wrong for telling him that he should try 5E?
>>
>>47272105
Give him a PDF of FATAL.
>>
>>47272142
But that doesn't use figurines or battle-grid, so like 5E that is too unclear.
>>
OH I read in this thread that UA was gone or something, musta been more misinformation from the literal worst thread on this board, nigger
>>
>>47272173
>musta been more misinformation from the literal worst thread on this board
/pfg/?
>>
Looking for some advice on a situation. My party's doing Cult of the Dragon Queen, and one of the other players is a Death Domain cleric, and has announced that he'll probably betray the party soon OOC- we're fine with it, really, it's just for fun.

But after a recent event- the murder of one of the dragon cultists in hiding while we're on a caravan with them- the player handed the DM a note, and I'm concerned about how far he's going to take the betrayal.

So I'm lining up my assets to estimate how it's going to go when the betrayal takes place. We'll be at the same level by then when it happens.

>me, Sorcerer w/ Draconic Ancestry, elephant
>him, Death Domain Cleric, might form some kind of alliance with the dragon cult for when he betrays us
>the bard, played by his IRL wife, has several hirelings, might side with him

Any input on this situation? Kicking him out isn't really an option and the story arc makes sense more or less, and it's all for fun's sake.
>>
Wanting to do a planeshift Zandikar game for my friends who are magic nerds(gameists mainly, dont know too much about lore). Anyone hand me some resources other then the planeshift packet so I can run a better game? I know general lore but nothing in depth. Tips on how races interact and well anything that people have extrapolated through card art/flavortext.
>>
>>47272105
5e is much better than 3.5 and is n character simpler for new people to learn. You are not in the wrong, your brother just needs a guiding hand to show him the error of his ways.
>>
I want to do a city world type setting, and I'm debating about making rules for Ravnica, or doing an original setting.

On the one hand, Ravnica is great, and a lot of fun. On the other, I'd have a lot more freedom with an original setting, and wouldn't be shamelessly copying someone's work.
>>
Can crossbows be fired more than once a turn?
>>
>>47272283
Yes, if you have a free hand to load it.
>>
>>47272277
*Much simpler*

I hate my phone sometimes XP
>>
>>47272283
Yes, but only if you have some way to ignore their loading quality, or take the attack action more than once in a turn (action surge/haste)

Loading prevents you from firing it more than once when you take the attack action. Note that taking the attack action is different than making an attack.

When a level 20 fighter takes the attack action, they make 4 attacks. But if they have a crossbow with the loading quality (all of them I think), then they can only make one attack with it when they take the Attack Action. That same fighter can take the Action Surge feature to take a second attack action, and attack a second time.

Note: there is a crossbow master feat that lets you ignore the loading quality of these weapons.
>>
>>47272283
>>47272317
Only if you have the crossbow expert feat. Otherwise you can only take one shot a turn. You do also need one hand available to reload but that's not a problem unless your using a hand crossbow.
>>
File: choo chooooo.jpg (88 KB, 700x467) Image search: [Google]
choo chooooo.jpg
88 KB, 700x467
What sort of enemies populate the mysterious desert train that never stops running?
>>
>>47272376
Skeleton bandits that died long ago trying to rob the train. They died, and either their desire to get away with the treasures inside, or the train itself in desire for protection, are what is keeping them alive as undead.
>>
Did we not get an UA yet this month?
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (63 KB, 673x527) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
63 KB, 673x527
>>47272376
A giant lizard wielding a lance, a silver haired mastermind, and an OP monk/wizard named night, all working together.
>>
File: 1444696155447.jpg (357 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1444696155447.jpg
357 KB, 1280x720
>>47272317
>>47272364
Thanks for the help.

>>47272349
That is exactly what I was doing, because I haven't yet hit the point where I get additional attacks.

Glad to hear it's legal, though.

Also, I have another question. Is there anything preventing me from mounting a shortsword of dagger under a crossbow like pic related? If it's any help I'm rolling with a battlemaster who took smithing as his art of choice.
>>
>>47271472
Fusion just seems objectively bad. You lose the second attack you would have gotten from your ally being a separate person, and whatever attack or ability they decide to do will probably use whatever stat came from the player that skill came from, giving no net-gain.

Going by these rules, two creatures of similar stats, like two even-level fighters, would gain absolutely nothing from fusion aside from going up a size category and a better second wind. Actually, it's just plain worse since they're now a bigger target.

The only legit use I can see from this is fusing with somebody with low HP as a way of escaping with them
>>
>>47272527
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/may-dungeon-masters-guild-review
>>
>>47272278
If you go Ravnica there's always a chance someone won't like when the game trumps the setting, but with not!Ravnica you can just use and omit whatever you want from the original setting.
>>
I've almost finished learning the rules. I went to my friends to ask them what setting they would prefer. Two didn't know. One said Time Travel and Dinosaurs. Any advice on building a dinosaur island setting, including cavemen?
>>
>>47272554
The only limit is how much of a faggot your DM is.
Mine let me pay some smiths to stick a shortsword's blade on his shield so I could SHIELDSTAB.
>>
>>47272554
You couldn't do it RAW, but as a DM I'd let you smith one in downtime, and retrain yourself to use it properly it after a week.

melee damage roll would probably be 1d4 piercing.
>>
>>47272554
>Is there anything preventing me from mounting a shortsword of dagger under a crossbow like pic related?
It has precedent in D&D, but actual crossbows tend to have stirrup-style cocking, where you place your foot in a stirrup at the front and use that to keep it in place while you draw back the string.

Basically, ask your DM.
>>
>>47272591
Oh, that kinda sucks
>>
>>47272606
My DM might allow it.

Also I might have to try making myself an offensive shield at some point if I can get away with crossbow bayonets.
>>
>>47272376
Not IN the train, but the train itself is constantly followed by stampeding Rust Monsters looking for a good meal
>>
>>47272595
That's a good point.

Okay, what are some guilds that might exist in a worldwide fantasy city?
>>
>>47272637
Hope I don't sound like a newfag, but what's RAW?

That said, finding a weeks worth of downtime might be an issue, unless I want to learn how to use it via trial and error in the field.

>>47272638
I'm well aware, but I figured I had nothing to lose by spitballing the idea.

Otherwise, thanks for the help.
>>
>>47272726
Rules As Written (in the books)
There's also RAI (Rules As Intended--the spirit, not the letter of the rules)
and RAF (Rules As Fun--the only way to play the fucking game)
>>
>>47272726
RAW is Rules as Written (the rule is clear)
RAI is Rules as Interpreted (the rule is vague, but here's some evidence outside the rules that suggests it should mean X).

When I suggested a week's worth of downtime, I basically meant you spend your long rests practicing a bit with it. Nothing strenuous.
>>
>>47272597

this is a personal call but I think a journey-to-the-center-of-the-earth type of thing with underground jungles and lost civilizations etc is way more interesting than straight up time travel.

other than that I'd rip off Chrono Trigger.
>lizard people are the rulers, hunt/enslave humans, keep dinosaurs as pets

>humans live in small tribal societies protected by shamans and warriors

>include at least one huge, invincible dinosaur that is stalking the party, design it so that they're supposed to run away but if they're really clever they can kill it for good somehow. Running into this thing should make your players afraid

>homebrew dinosaur shapes for druid and pets for ranger
>>
>>47272801

also I think it works best with limited magic, druids and clerics based on primal deities but no wizards/sorcerers/warlocks
>>
File: aghartha.jpg (81 KB, 537x551) Image search: [Google]
aghartha.jpg
81 KB, 537x551
>>47272801
>>47272597
If you ain't playing The Coming Race in fucking Aghartha, you're doing D&D wrong IMO.
>>
>>47272689
You can base them off of services that any city needs in order to function properly, some of which will no doubt have parallels with the Ravnica guilds.
Law enforcement
Sanitation
Commerce and banking
Entertainment
Infrastructure
Emergency services
Electricity (or whatever keeps the lights on)
Government
Housing
Or you could go for more of a Jet Set Radio/The Warriors feel and have all the guilds be street gangs.
>>
>>47272221
If it's all for fun sake don't sweat too much about getting betrayed. If you are meant to get stomped into the ground then there won't be much you can do cause the DM will just throw more stuff than you can handle.

The DM is probably making sure his betrayal only has a chance of success rather than a guarentee. To have otherwise would be showing favoritism.

In short, don't worry about it, if you start worrying and planning for it it is considered metagaming. That is unless the cleric is already acting shady in game.
>>
>>47271715
>>47271863
Roger that, reading up. May be a bit too large for what I'm looking for, though. I have DM'd before. But that was in the 2e days, so I'm a little bit rusty, you see.
>>
how many players do we need for Lost Mines anyway? I want to run it with my friends but there's only 3 of us so I'd have to double as GM and player. Are 3 characters enough?
>>
>>47273360
You'd have to adjust the adventure or adjust the party's power level but yes, it could be enough.
>>
>>47273360
You can always give players two characters.
>>
>>47273423
Would a party of 3 people able to play smart enough to cope? Just be more tactical.

Speaking of which, what are some always good ideas/items to do/use in encounters or dungeon crawls?
>>
What do you guys think about the UA Mystic?

I've finally found a solid group and the DM is letting us all do whatever homebrew shit we want (so long as he approves it) and I have the go ahead to be a psion.

I am not sure how I feel about it. I don't get extra attack or anything and most stuff is passive, plus psi points kinda suck and I can have like two not-cantrips at a time.

feels kinda bad
>>
>>47273360
I managed to get my players through the first part with 2 players and a DMPC. I didn't even tweak the encounters, although the party was a bit lucky at times.
>>
>>47273360
3 is just fine, my group is me and three players

2-4 is all you need
>>
File: 352623645236237.gif (261 KB, 540x383) Image search: [Google]
352623645236237.gif
261 KB, 540x383
>>47273832
>Always have at least one player more then what is needed
>Still barely manage to escape fights alive
>>
>>47267991
>you know what i mean,
clearly not....
>>
>>47273642
Yes, 3 players is doable, but they have to be crafty, sneaky or very lucky. The campaign is honestly hard at times.

Always sneak. Perception roll everything. Remember that retreat is always an option. Look for alternative routes and methods indtead of running to combat. Use terrain to your advantage. Tactics, tactics, tactics.
>>
File: 1462417056231.jpg (53 KB, 500x294) Image search: [Google]
1462417056231.jpg
53 KB, 500x294
>>47273832
I'd say 4-5 is on the safe side. Sure, you can play with 3 but you'll probably need a complete understanding of all abilities, rules and maneuvers and use them them to their full powergayman extent. And roll decently.
>>
>>47273796
>Psi Points kinda suck
are you for real

Anyhow, you have more than just two not-cantrips, there's Focus in all of your disciplines. One of those straight up gives you +1 AB and damage, and you can spend 5 psi to make that +3. You can burn 1-5 psi points to add +1d10 damage per psi. At level 5 you could add +5d10 to five attacks. You can also blow 5 psi to give yourself a second attack, which could also have +5d10 damage. At level 8, you're dealing +1d8 damage all the time if you're Immortal.
>2d6+18+1d8+5d10 * 2
>112 average damage
>can do this twice per long rest at 8
Not to mention that Mystics are FUNCTIONALLY IMMORTAL because both archetypes absolutely shit healing and half the disciplines contain get-out-of-damage-free reactions or bonus actions.

It's the ultimate generalist, reactionist class. It can do whatever you want to do short of AoE blasting, and careful discipline choices will leave you prepared for most situations without having to worry about your spell list. You can buff allies, buff yourself, heal both, and absolutely demolish kids in melee if you want. You don't need Extra Attack.
>>
File: 1463178098624.jpg (115 KB, 1024x1101) Image search: [Google]
1463178098624.jpg
115 KB, 1024x1101
has anyone tried using a wounds chart in their games?

i want to make combat deadlier/riskier so that the focus is more on not fighting, ambushes, avoidance, defense, range, etc., and i also just like the idea of wounds and the possibility of losing limbs or an eye or something.

so yeah, has anyone done that?

i was thinking about halving hp gained after level 1 (ie a barbarian with 16 con gets 15 hp at level 1, and then instead of 10 more at 2 he gets 5 more), and saying if you take more than your con score in damage in a turn (from a single attack?) roll on a wounds table. which would be less deadly/debilitating than the dmg one for most numbers, but rolling high (or low???) would still be bad. and perhaps with some effects like bleeding, winded, stunned, sprained, broken limbs, disabled, etc. in addition to losing an eye or something. inspiration to avoid.

but idk. who has experience with this shit?
>>
File: 1332353654764.gif (990 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1332353654764.gif
990 KB, 400x225
>>47274342
>Our DM does this
>I'm a Druid
>At our level my Beast Form HP is twice what my actual HP is
>Take enough damage to activate Wound, but also knock me out of Beast Form
>For those that don't know, Beast Form is effectively Temporary HP, so when this happened I was dealt just enough damage to bring me back to my Full Health human form
>But also took a wound and got a crippling injury despite being at max HP
>>
Hey Fa/tg/uys
Me and my friends have decided to play d&d for a bit of fun and I've decided to be DM.

Is there any tips you can give me to make sure it's a fun game for all and maybe some suggested reading material for ideas on quests or lore?
>>
>>47274342
What an ugly sword, like the bastard child of a khopesh and a katana. Ugh.
>>
>>47274169

+1d10 damage is only once a turn, I think.
>>
>>47274594
The dex save instead of AC attack is once per turn since it costs a bonus action now but the damage boost wasn't limited like that.
>>
>>47274169
>>47274594

actually nvm I'm thinking of something else.
>>
>>47274522
its the edgiest art ever
>world war 2(?) uniform
>khopesh/katana aka not-katana
>blood feathers
>asian girl wearing makeup but shes totally slashed up
>demon head
>shadow looks like an angel kind of
but also idk i dont have any good "wounds" themed art
>>47274457
so thats one vote for not liking it.... or do you like it but that instance was bs? i think in that scenario i'd let you go without the wound since you didnt really take enough damage to wound you once you turned back into a beast. but maybe it should be if you lose a limb (or whatever) in beast form you lose it in human form too. hmm
>>
>>47274651
Gonna post it anyway because it's great.
>Lethal Strike (1–5): When you hit a target with a melee weapon attack, you can increase the damage to that target. The target takes an extra 1d10 psychic damage for each psi point you spend.
Thank god they capped powers with both psi points spendable per level AND by discipline. Used to be limited to just your manifesting class level.
>>
File: image.jpg (113 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113 KB, 600x600
>>47271448
>>47271472
>>47271521
A good Yume Nikki should do it.
>>
>>47265793
is your DM chris
cause all that sounds like my current DM.
all that and muuuch muuuuch more.
>>
>>47274692
seriously? Its Blood: the last vampire. in the vietnam war
>>
I'm whipping together a Gunmage class, specifically as a Sorcerous Origin. I've heard that Eldritch Knight makes a great gunmage already, but I wanted to see what I could come up with.

My question to you: If playing a Sorcerer, would you prefer to get Combat Superiority as a feature at level 6, or to get an Extra Attack?
>>
>>47274967
Are you serious?

If you are then you should never ever even consider giving combat superiority to a caster class
>>
>>47275008
But I hope you're not serious because it's a terrible idea to begin with
>>
>>47274934
o sorry idk what that is but i'll look it up
>>
>>47275008
>>47275023
Alright. I won't. How about letting them use their bonded firearm's attack/damage bonuses (if any) and range for spells that use an attack roll?
>>
>>47274342
I've dealt with wounds before, I was in a party and our ranger got his shit kicked in by an animated tree. It wasn't meant to be a deadly encounter so the DM had him roll on the injury table on page 272 in the DMG and he ended up losing his eye. That meant disadvantage on ranged attacks permanently. The ranger was pretty much garbage at that point, missing almost every shot. If the player didn't have to leave I'm fairly sure he would have been killed in game.

All I'm saying is if you gotta roll on that board some times you might as well kill the character. If the barbarian looses a hand say goodbye to his Two-Handed Weapon. The rogue losing a leg has become garbage as well.

If I was playing with an injury board used so frequently I wouldn't put a lot of time into the character cause I know the first hit they could take could take an arm leg or eye out.
>>
>>47275122
Permanent injuries are iffy, but semi-permanent ones are okay if you ask me. Something small like d/a on specific attribute checks or 10' mvt speed penalty until long rest or magical healing.
>>
>>47274967
Combat superiority should stay as a martial bonus. It's assumed hat that stuff comes from not just being proficient with weapons but a master in the art of fighting. Go second attack. The College of Valor bard has the same thing.
>>
>>47275180
Thanks anon. I needed that perspective. I'll post the result when finished.
>>
>>47275156
I agree with him. A broken nose would definitely give disadvantage on charisma checks. A sprained ankle or joint disadvantage on Dex checks. An overstretched muscle or big bruise can be pretty distracting, and make casters roll concentration checks with disadvantage.
>>
>>47275122
If you change retraining rules to match it's fine, same with letting them access the magical healing to fix it.

I thought the lost eye was just perception rolls in the DMG until you lose both.
>>
>>47265664
what a coy little fuck

did you burst out laughing?
>>
>>47275156
That's the DMG table in a nutshell. The problem is rolling 1-4 on the d20 table
>>
>>47265793
Aren't you able to reroll the 1s and 2s on paladin smites? I thought that was one of the reasons paladin average damage was so damn high.
>>
>>47275311
It's not weapon damage
>>
>>47275311
Jeremy Crawford said no on Twitter. I gave my group's paladin an amulet that let him do it the way you said afterward and it hasn't unbalanced the game any.
>>
File: 1331592604141.gif (2 MB, 300x199) Image search: [Google]
1331592604141.gif
2 MB, 300x199
>>47274342
>Roll low on that table
>Get a scar on my face causing disadvantage on charasma checks that aren't Intimidate
>Needs a 6th level spell to fix
>>
Has anyone tried the plot points system?

I've been playing with the same group a long time and I'm thinking rotating DM could be fun.
>>
>>47275274
I know, I've read it. But the point was that even the 'lose an eye' part should be turned into a temporary injury, because even a dead character is better than a crippled one.
>>
>>47275380
I haven't done the rotating DM style, but I have done the "make a significant change to the campaign world" with my homebrew group.

No one's used their plot points in a while, though. They've been used for some pretty interesting things.
>>
>>47275362
Scars aren't even that unattractive.
>>
>>47274156
Could I get a sauce on this? It's pretty cute.
>>
>>47275423
that kind of depends on the type, location, and amount of scarring...
>>
>>47275423
Depends on where. Say, if you have a little harry potter scrape on your forehead, that's kinda charming but if you have 3 streaks going down your brow and cheek from a run in with a monster, heads will turn and keeping eye contact is hard.
>>
>>47275409
Could be changed to a head wound. If you have nothing to staunch it with then blood just keeps gushing over the eyes screwing up ranged attacks for a while
>>
>>47275380
I used plot point. When we were getting back to our home town I used it to say that someone's rival is coming into town as we are. Sparked a few sessions of exciting fighting. It's fun when used right.
>>
>>47271452
I pity those unfortunate souls who play your games. You are pissant and cry like a child when you don't get your way.
>>
So, the Demiplane spell. What happens if you leave someone inside the demiplane? You leave, and the sorry dude is trapped there? The 1 hour duration means the demiplane will only lasts for hour right? So what happens when the demiplane spell ends? The trapped dude just phase out and reapear where he was? Does he vanish along he plane?
>>
Is there a system for dueling? My players are in a city where nonmagical duels are fairly common and I'd like to have something that isn't just whittling down each other's hit points. So far my current idea is 99% normal combat, except:
>When your dueling opponent is hit, the balance of combat shifts in your favor. From a slight favor for one hit to extreme favor for two.
>Conversely, when your opponent hits you, the balance of the fight is pushed back towards their favor.
>When the fight is extremely in your favor, another successful attack defeats your opponent. It's possible you may get advantage for this attack.
>Crits count as if you got two hits in.
>>
>>47275611
>When the spell ends, the door disappears, and any creatures or objects inside the demiplane remain trapped there, as the door also disappears from the other side.

The only way out of a demiplane that has been closed off is Plane Shift.
>>
>>47271687
that's honestly your DM's fault for not being certain that one of their players is prepped.
>>
>>47275660
Yeah, but does the plane disapears? It says it only lasts for 1 hour. I could use the demiplane as a vault to store all my stuff?
>>
>>47275691
The plane doesn't disappear, otherwise you couldn't reconnect to it with castings (and also the spell would be useless). The creatures inside are trapped in that 30-by-30 room.
>>
>>47275725
But why it says it lasts for an hour? It is the time that I could use the door at will before needing to re-cast it?
>>
File: iaijutsu duels.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
iaijutsu duels.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47275624
peep the iaijutsu rules from the oriental adventures book circa 3.0 or 3.5 (i forget which).

basically......... well i'll just post a page.
>>
>>47275786
Casting the spell creates a door to a demiplane, be it a new one, one you've connected to before, or one that you know the nature and contents of.

The duration is for the doorway, not for the demiplane itself.
>>
>>47275409
I still would rather adjust it as a DM to recover the wound at the end of that adventure (using a cleric or whatever), rather than a long rest.
>>
>>47275801
Interesting! I'll consider stealing bits and pieces from this.
>>
>>47275807
Ah. thanks. So I could use it to store all my stuff. Could I even live there? That's the ultimate adventuring lifestyle. I literaly would live "nowhere"!
>>
>>47272376
Nobody. The train itself is sentient.
>>
>>47275977
What if, it is not even a real train? But something else... entirely.
>>
WOUNDS ANON AGAIN:

I dig that you guys want to protect pcs. This is the part I'm torn on.

YES it would be easier for your pc to become incapacitated somehow by the loss of a leg or something. But the point would be that you would want to adapt your fighting style to avoid taking damage and avoid getting into down and out fights unless you really had to.

Is that bad? should I just design better encounters instead of punishing players with wounds? Isnt hacking off limbs cool?

I'm not sure. I'm really torn about it. Obviously I would be very very upfront about it with my players (also I would tell them that all the encounters would be more deadly and tricky than usual, and my plan, wounds or no, is to design encounters kind of more like puzzles. Not with specific victory conditions, but with specific caveats which might change how things go.)

I was also thinking about letting PC's just PICK something on the wounds chart for enemies, or even just death perhaps, for mook enemies. Fast and furious in both directions.

I also wanted to make magic more dangerous, and perhaps even have different damage types have different effects (ie fire magic, while very damaging, would also light everything on fire, and be specific about the consequences of that. ie no casting fireball in buildings you wanted to walk out of without bringing the place down). Also I've said this here before but I love mundane equipment and wanted to throw lots of special weapons such as the shark tooth swords from PotA, or the hook spears or whatever from OotA.

I was hoping the constant danger faced by PCs, where you could lose an arm or a leg, would lead to more disarm attempts, more shoves, more grapples, more trying to blind enemies, more fog clouds. Stuff like that. Maybe its just that my party rarely does that (though I'm a PC in our current campaign and we just fucked up a high ranking cult leader by throwing a bag over his head and grappling and disarming him and beating him to death).

(1/2)
>>
File: 1447976156195.jpg (128 KB, 1000x800) Image search: [Google]
1447976156195.jpg
128 KB, 1000x800
Does anyone have the Lovecraft Homebrew pdf?
>>
>>47276030
Dude, we use those healing and injuries from the dungeon master guide.
Our combats are brutal and we are always broken or impaired.
It is glorious.
>>
>>47271452
>>47275589
This.

Although I can see why barb rage + SA would be questionable.

And playing a strength rogue myself, I find myself questioning the use of strength with SA-capable finesse weapons. Kinda sucks that WotC didn't put more consideration into versatility for rogues. Like, a fighter can really just go strength or dex without needing to have a gimmick, feat, or multiclass to be viable.
>>
Rolled 14, 10, 3, 8, 16, 19 = 70 (6d20)

>tiefling monk
>>
File: 1454992024414.jpg (1 MB, 1239x1701) Image search: [Google]
1454992024414.jpg
1 MB, 1239x1701
>>47276030
(2/2)

A lot of the time though I'm worried this just adds unnecessary garbage to the game. I understand that. I've been laughed out of /5eg/ before (well, not literally, but I've definitely been given the uh.... textual stink eye).

I have a lot of other ideas and stuff too. I just... I don't know. I understand perhaps 5e isnt even the right game, but I really like 5e so I just want to make it into the right game for me. Not by doing anything needlessly complex (lol lets add talent trees and I'm going to homebrew tome of battle). I'm just thinking of adding the bare minimum rules to make players WANT to do other things besides just attack repeatedly, and sometimes move around or dodge.

Maybe thats bad I'm not sure. But I feel like wounds adds a certain element of risk/reward which gives PCs incentive to want to disable enemies before killing them, instead of trading blows for a few rounds. Is that crazy?

Also I would definitely make spells that can regrow limbs available to the PCs (for a hefty price....). Or like allow a warlock to take devils sight to compensate for his blindness. Or maybe let a paladin get a special limb from his god. Or let a player acquire a metal limb. Or someone to make a deal with a devil.......

But just so we're all clear, I do circle back and reel myself in constantly on this, because at a certain point one admirable thing about 5e is the simplicity with which it can handle a lot of complex scenarios. So idk... yeah... I'm conflicted about all of it.
>>
>>47275977
Don't ask me silly questions, I won't play silly games...
>>
File: 1448066303732.png (226 KB, 620x670) Image search: [Google]
1448066303732.png
226 KB, 620x670
>>47276098
>3
>>
File: chosac-chop-chop.jpg (968 KB, 1690x1083) Image search: [Google]
chosac-chop-chop.jpg
968 KB, 1690x1083
>>47276083
this is good to hear
>>
>>47276109
>additional combat options
>massive damage
>lingering injuries
DMG has a lot of good shit
>>
Where can I find a list of all the non-magical weapons in 5e? I mean all the stuff like the hook spear and repeating crossbow from OotA and all the weapons from the DMG. Does such a compendium exist?
>>
>>47276030
>But the point would be that you would want to adapt your fighting style to avoid taking damage and avoid getting into down and out fights unless you really had to.

Deliberately encouraging Abused Gamer Syndrome? I can't see anything that could possibly go wrong with this plan.
>>
What reason might a good church exist around an evil god besides them being tricked or secretly evil.

I'm kind of trying to put together a church that is straight up good but who knowingly and openly focus on this evil god, fully aware that the guy is a king sized bag of diseased dicks.

I'm not going the 90's action hero angle, these guys are not edgy evil so they can fight evil guys. I'm actually picturing something more along the lines of they worship this god to appease him because he's notoriously fickle and could sack a continent if he wasn't getting his "dues", though I think in most D&D cosmologies this church would still be evil because they're empowering an evil god.

Alternatively they could be strange good aligned Ur priests who, through their constant rituals, siphon off just enough divine energy from this evil but sleeping/weakened god to keep him from waking up/regaining his strength

I'm not really attached to any idea yet, the important part is that the church is genuinely good and have at least a good moral argument for what they're doing (even if said argument has holes in the super long run)

I'm not sure, this idea could just be stupid.
>>
anyone know of a good 5e homebrow gish class?

bladesinger and eldritch knight aren't really exactly what I want, EKnight is too martial focused and bladesinger is too squishy/ magic focus.

I definitely want something with full casting and medium armor, like a cleric but for arcane magic instead of divine
>>
>>47276467
That sounds like a valor bard to me.

Full but not quite wizard spell list
A handfull of spells from any source to really broaden your abilities
Okay hp
Medium armor, martial weapons, shields
2 attacks

Pretty solid middle of the road gish I feel
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.