[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any sources on how to make a good system?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: 1-dnd-logo.png (158 KB, 600x171) Image search: [Google]
1-dnd-logo.png
158 KB, 600x171
Hello.

I was wondering if there were any sources that looked at game system and discussed them what made them good.
>>
>how to reinvent the bike
There are soooo much of systems, from simple d6 and mini six to GURPS and FATE to FATAL
apllying a few houserules to one of them should do the trick
>>
>>47265391
Good call; heavily base components of your game on functional systems or alter existing ones.
I was working on a system for a while (which started out quite math-y and computer-centric), then I grew enamored to the Fate system's dice distribution/skills/Aspects, preferring to modify the rules and append some extras.

Anyway, I do have this PDF.
>>
>>47265189
There probably are, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. Instead, get some advice.
>read as many different rulebooks as you can, and try to understand why they made the choices they did. Books which actually explain their design choices are a godsend here.
>read blogs by amateur game designers.
>Decide on what you want your system to do. 4th ed DnD was a brilliant system but only for a very specific type of game.
>>
>>47265391

I am not trying to reinvent the wheel necessarily. What had in mind was a sort of a card-game/pokemon hybrid/abomination
>>
>>47265441
Thanks for that pdf, I thought it'd be the pepsi one, but was pleasantly surprised.
>>
>>47265441

One day, you shall receive a kiss. It'll be sent by me.
>>
>>47265189

I recommend the theorycraft forums at "the Forge", start with these articles that are essentially distillations of the debates the forum hosted.
http://www.indie-rpgs.com/articles/
>>
File: BREATHTAKING DESIGN.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
BREATHTAKING DESIGN.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47265565
You're welcome
though, I wouldn't want to disappoint you...

When I want more system insight beyond Pepsi A E S T H E T I C, I like to study and read feedback in the Game Design General; you can see what people primarily complain about or avoid in systems.
>>
File: 1457080473456.jpg (15 KB, 403x402) Image search: [Google]
1457080473456.jpg
15 KB, 403x402
>>47265588
I think I found the author
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4mb6gzu60U
>>
>>47265189
Honestly the biggest thing that has helped me with game design in general is learning how to program, even with tabletop games. Programming helps your brain think in system, working out the fairly simple math needed for looking at probabilities, and also remembering to be consistent. Holy shit are there so many systems that forget to do that last bit.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.