[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Penitent Prince
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6
File: tinder.jpg (64 KB, 460x690) Image search: [Google]
tinder.jpg
64 KB, 460x690
Hey /tg/ I've been toying with a character idea in my head and I was wondering if you could help me develop it.

Basically I want to play as a prince that's done something wrong, forcing him not so much into exile but into some sort of voluntary adventure of penitence to redeem himself. I just can't figure out what sort of deed would warrant such action.

He would be stripped of all titles and the majority of his wealth but not be on entirely bad terms with his family (I guess he has a forgiving family). Upon completing his adventure he'd be welcomed back to take up his rightful place as one of the heirs to the throne. He would not be a wanted man, nor forced to leave his home, just suspended from princely duties and privileges.

Then comes the question of what sort of deed could redeem him. I guess the cliche of slaying a great beast could do the trick if it posed threat to the land, but I want to try to be original. Maybe something like uncovering and thwarting a nefarious plot could work. So long as he does a major service to the kingdom/world.
>>
Cowardice
>>
File: Thor-1.jpg (284 KB, 1012x1500) Image search: [Google]
Thor-1.jpg
284 KB, 1012x1500
>>142242041
Everything you said reminds me of this.
>>
>>47263586
He literally rebelled against his father, causing a teeny weeny civil war. His motivations were purely self-centred but after he lost his father had mercy upon him. So he lost his titles and was banished, and now has to redeem himself and become a more responsible, well rounded man, a man worthy of the throne.
>>
File: atla-zuko.png (203 KB, 655x486) Image search: [Google]
atla-zuko.png
203 KB, 655x486
>>47263586
He has to catch the avatar
>>
File: renom.png (85 KB, 343x331) Image search: [Google]
renom.png
85 KB, 343x331
>>47263750
I actually really like this idea.
>>
>>47263756
Haha yeah that did come to my mind while I was thinking about it.
>>
>>47263586
The prince found out that his friend/wife/advisor were members ot a secret conspiracy and manipulated him to do some bad decisions, causing damage to the realm.
Now he must find and eradicate the conspiracy to redeem himself.
>>
>>47263764
It was actually pretty common for Princes to try and overthrow the King, fail and be forgiven. Basically teenage angst with a 3 or 4 figure casualty count. Richard I was involved in like 3 if I remember, both his own and supporting his brothers.

Plus it's a relatively effective way of checking that the King's still boss.
>>
>>47263764
Thanks, the question it mainly raises is what he has to do to redeem himself and how it will be judged.

Perhaps it's something vague like "Become a man of honour and virtue, who will bring prosperity to this land as its King" as judged by a trusted retainer sent with him by the King. Or maybe it's a specific feat, or simply to become a man of enough renown that tales of your derring-do and glorious feats reach the ears of the distant court.
>>
>>47263853
"You need to be level 12+ to be worthy of the throne"
>>
>>47263853
I think the true goal would be to gain the humility and wisdom to lead a kingdom given the prince's clear lack of it as he raised his hand against his own father.
>>
File: boy or girl.png (524 KB, 928x1250) Image search: [Google]
boy or girl.png
524 KB, 928x1250
He took a foxgirl for a wife, but when the fox was revealed to be a foxboy instead, the entire royal family was disgraced.
>>
>>47263853
It would make more sense to get approval from the future vassals; thus, the prince travels the realm, doing quests for various dukes and barons.
>>
>>47263586
A technicality or a dishonor. He led troops and, due to his negligence, they died. Or he disobeyed an order from the King, which resulted in disaster - ex. He was ordered to maintain rear guard with his men and instead charged off to fight, leading to a town being destroyed in the process. In order to avoid being executed for this dereliction of duty he must venture on an extremely vague quest to redeem his honor, somehow, which he probably does by proving it was the vizier all along or something trying to get him out of the way so his half brother could be heir or w/e

This character archetype doesn't need to be true nobility, it could be .
>>
Rolled 10 (1d10)

>>47263892
Perception check for penis
>>
>>47263873
"Look son, I can't give you the throne until you have at LEAST three attacks, how else do you expect to rule a Kingdom?"

>>47263883
Yeah, which would probably have to be mediated by a retainer, which gives a nice opportunity introduce a cool party NPC, be they a grizzled but honourable Knight/Paladin or a razor-witted politico who taught "That buffoon the King statecraft when he was your age".

>>47263897
Maybe, the problem is then nobles trying to cozy up to him because he might be the future king, or drawing him into rebellion 2: electric boogaloo.

>>47264051
This actually doesn't work that great for nobility, as they tend to be loathe to execute each other and especially not Princes, which are quite the commodity. Plus the: "It was the vizier! See, I don't have any failings after all!" is pretty boring both to GM and to play compared to a character who legit fucked up and has to learn from and grow past that.
>>
>>47263586
When there are royal twins one tends to be a great king a and one evil tyrant, oops turns out evil cheats on tests and the good twin gets exiled instead, as daddy cannot bring himself to kill his own blood he gets exiled untill he can prove that he isnt the monster they claimed.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.