[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Warhammer Fantasy General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 58
File: Skeleton Horde by John Blanche.jpg (339 KB, 857x1200) Image search: [Google]
Skeleton Horde by John Blanche.jpg
339 KB, 857x1200
Warhammer Fantasy/The 9th Age General: Anonymouskeleton Edition

Remember to ignore or report shitposters and off-topic discussion.

Previous thread:>>47226466

>Newbie Introduction To Warhammer Fantasy
http://www.mediafire.com/download/i330182xo9b1hsi/Rulebook+%28Hardback%29.pdf (Download, start reading at page 174 for the story and all the races)

>1d4chan
1d4chan.org/wiki/Category:Warhammer_Fantasy (All pages marked WF on the /tg/ wiki)

>Warhammer Wikis
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page (Warhammer Fantasy wiki)
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki (Warhammer Fantasy wiki)
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki (Warhammer Online wiki with lots of background articles too. Also AoR is not ded: /vg/ for details.)

>Resources(Armybooks, Supplements, Fluff, Crunch)
pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S
www.pastebin.com/0e6RuQux
>Endhammer
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Endhammer

>9th Age
http://www.the-ninth-age.com
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/The_9th_Age

>Total War: Warhammer (Now confirmed to have mod support!)
store.steampowered.com/app/364360/

>End Times: Vermintide (Drachenfels DLC confirmed!)
store.steampowered.com/app/235540/

>Mordheim: City of the Damned (New Warbands in production!)
store.steampowered.com/app/276810/

>Bloodbowl 2 (More races on the way!)
store.steampowered.com/app/236690/

>Man O' War (First patch out, improved world plus Orc/Pirate ports, raids, Bretonnia/Khorne/Beastmen)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/344240/

>Third party Miniature manufactures
http://pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk
Google "Unsupported Age", because we can't link blogs here.
>>
>>47260232
Has anyone taken the 9th age army books and replaced all the lore and names with WHFB names, but left the rules intact?

It's so soulless.
>>
>>47260232
>that bat posing
This pleases me.
>>
>>47260256

I am pretty sure 9th Age fluff is supposed to be optional. It is just there if you are a new player with no tie to the Old World. You are more than free to build your army as a standard one from the old world if you like.
>>
>>47260256
You talking about Undying Legions? Because the others are just crunch until they get their lore and artwork.
>>
>>47260232
>Blood Bowl
>WHFB general
Sorry, it's AoS game now.
>>
File: happy macha.jpg (18 KB, 370x252) Image search: [Google]
happy macha.jpg
18 KB, 370x252
>Witch Hunters announced for Mordheim: CotD
>>
Looking for the skirmish rules from the back of 6E. All the scans I've found seem to be missing them. Thx!
>>
>>47260728
Anon, please.
>>47260232
>>Mordheim: City of the Damned (New Warbands in production!)
>store.steampowered.com/app/276810/
>>
>>47261004
He's just shit posting let's move on. Anyone have any games going on this weekend? Tomorrow I'm trying out my mounted HE list against my friend's Tzeentch Demons should be fun assuming especially since we both are going to have a crazy magic phase
>>
>>47261050

Sounds like fun. I wish I could find some opponents.
>>
>>47260232
>the mental image of a skeleton with a paintbrush making that banner
>>
So how does 9th age compare to earlier editions of fantasy? Does it still have the same bullshit magic and massive horde sized units that were a problem in 8th edition?
>>
>>47261469
>big units
>problem
Shouldn't you await point system for AoS in near general?
>>
>>47261469
It's a nerf to magic, and unit sizes have maximums now. I'm frustrated that it stops me from running an Ogre Horde, but whatever.
>>
>>47260256
The books are rules- only versions, with the exception of the not!TK.

The TK are the only ones with fluff in their books.
>>
>>47261501
Yes, not liking the mosh pits that 8e battles degenerated into automatically means that I like age of shitmar. Excuse me for preferring battles that are based around manoeuvring units into the best position possible rather than if seeing whose block of models can outdamage the other.
I was asking if 9th age had the tactical depth of earlier editions of fantasy or if it failed to fix the brokenness of 8e.
>>
>>47260367
No voice will ever be as good as Salty's though.
>>
>>47261469
9th is kind of a callback to 6e, but its faint. Return of Bloodlines and such.

Mostly it just fixes what was wrong with 8th.

Magic became easier to cast at low level spells, and really hard to cast at high level spells. Also, favors plural Mages rather than a Level 4. You basically only run a Level 4 Wizard if you are trying to save points.

There's a maximum unit size for everything now. But rules for models joining units is relaxed, so your horde is more likely most of core and special in the same unit with rare filling up your minimum required units rather than a monster glob of cheap things. Hordes aren't that great either, you actually want to flank enemies now so its better to be in smaller units.
>>
>>47262012
>that I like age of shitmar
Well, yeah since you here and crying how hard for you to play something larger than few sigmarines tactical squads.
>>
>>47260256
I might do it myself if I get bored enough one day
>>
>>47262012
don't bother replying to slavposts
>>
>>47261050
Which edition?
>>
So, /whfb/ what are you currently working on?
>>
File: WARLORD OF THE EIGHT PEAKS.png (1 MB, 653x748) Image search: [Google]
WARLORD OF THE EIGHT PEAKS.png
1 MB, 653x748
>>47262546
Sold an old Vermin Lord in order to raise the cash for an Arachnarok and pic related, currently in assembly
>>
>>47262546
Cleaning my Island of Blood Skaven, then my Ghouls.
>>
>>47262585
at first glance i saw Blood Skaven in your reply and now I want Blood Skaven.
>>
>>47262626
Blood Skaven like Khorne?
Blood Skaven like Blood Elves in Warcraft?
Blood Skaven like Skaven who bleed a lot?
Blood Skaven like Skaven obsessed with blood?
Blood Angels Skaven?
>>
>>47262715
dunno. just Blood Skaven. sounds cool.
>>
will there be core/special/rare limitations in Total Warhammer? or you can take any amount of anything, provided you have resources?
>>
>>47262729
>Mors pitfighters (large infantry, special choice, 5+ models, more points than stormvermins but I don't remember how much they cost so I can't try an estimation)
>M5 WS4 BS3 S4 T3 W2 I5 A1 LD6
>strength in numbers, (that rule that gives +1 to fleeing), fury, berserks (each model gains an additional attack if the unit is flanked on the left, an additional if it flanked on the right and another if attacked on the rear, so up to 3 additional attacks per model if surrounded)

>light armour (skull trophies and leather coverings)
>must choose one of the following:
>-pickaxe (two handed, +1 strength)
>-pair of hand weapons
>-hand weapon and sickle-fist (confers a parry save like a normal shield, but no armour save, furthermore if the parry save roll is successful the bearer can make an immediate attack that hits automatically and has the killings blow special rule)
>>
>>47263799
I don't know if the sickle fist parry save work when use by a model attacked on the flank or rear, opinions?
>>
>>47263815
*should be better working

I'm forgetting post pieces everywhere
>>
>>47262546
Glueing Saurus Warriors. There are a lot of fucking moldlines on those models.
>>
If you get a chance, have a look at the latest Miniwargaming battle report. Guy brings his Wood Elf army in, and they're basically "What if some Wood Elves got lost in Araby"

Magic carpets proxying as great eagles etc.
>>
>>47263867
>Miniwargaming
Into the trash it goes.
>>
File: image.jpg (303 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
303 KB, 750x1334
>>47263827
>doesn't get tired, negating biggest disadvantage of heavy armor
>faster reflexes than mortal men, with decades of combat experience
>don't need to stop for supplies, they can go just about anywhere unsupported
>far more durable than humans even without armor

Anyone think chaos warriors are way too OP fluff wise to be core units? Champions of other factions like Grail knights don't even Match them in stats. Seriously, how does one even fight a war and of these things, let alone armies of them? Maybe if they were slow, lumbering brutes it could be a little more fair, or if they could actually get exhausted from lugging around all that armor. Not getting tired in a fight is a HUGE advantage, even if we take warhammer a unrealistic approach to warfare where 2 armies smash into each other until one is almost destroyed. Anything caught in a grinder against 7 foot tall superhuman who can fight continuously is going to get BTFO
>>
>>47263925
shoot his dumbass face in with a rifle
>>
>>47263867
Kek, how would that even happen?
>>
>>47263925
They are supposed to be relatively few in numbers compared to the troops of other factions
>>
>>47263925
teamwork. all WoC in a unit fight as a bunch of individuals. imperials, bretonni, dwarfs, high elves units fight as unified forces. even 7 ft. tall superhuman gets offed when he's simultaneously stabbed by half a dozen halberds

and then there's ranged weapons and stuff. units are separate in game, in fluff they act more like real historical troops did - a couple ranks of pikemen/halberdiers, a couple of riflement ranks right behind. melee soldiers hold them off for a split second while handgunners shoot them into eye slits at point-blank range. teamwork.
>>
File: 1424118476666.jpg (2 MB, 1875x2763) Image search: [Google]
1424118476666.jpg
2 MB, 1875x2763
>>47263964
>mfw 7ft tall superhumans that also have teamwork
>>
Since 9th is finally in its final version, I decided to pick up my long-abandoned project of writing up a set of battlefield and terrains rules - i.e. all the mistery terrains, as well as rule for fighting in different surrounding - undergroud, in the jungle, in frozen wastelands, etc.

But I got a few questions first:
1) is random terrain fun in your opinion? like 8th's forests/lakes/swamps?
2) is stuff like all those various 8th terrains that you always have too keep track of (e.g. shooting statue, spellcasting portal, etc.) fun?
3) how would you feel about battlefield/scenario-specific model rules and whole units being added? e.g. a set of siege equipment for each faction for siege battlefields, or whole swimming stat for naval battles.
4) there's a problem with battlefields (e.g. jungle, cityscape, caves) where 5-man wide units hardly fit and many ranks make it unableto turn. what to do?
5) how would you feel about neutral monsters/creatures, provided they have explicit rules how they act?
6) would you even be interested in this?
>>
>>47264038
>playing abandoned 9th Age
>>
File: image.jpg (141 KB, 487x870) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
141 KB, 487x870
>>47260367
Nice. They are one of my favourite warbands.
>>
>>47263925
Nah, I'm perfectly fine with Chaos Warriors being the mightiest mortals around that aren't the size of an ogre or bigger. Their gods have access to pumping more magic into their warriors than any other faction and the Chaos Warriors typically work to impress their gods all the time.
>>
>>47262546
Still trying to come up with campaign rules

Also figuring out how to make proper rules for the maw krusha
>>
>>47263704
The limitations derive from rarer and more powerful units having a higher Upkeep and requiring higher tier buildings to create.

So you can have as many arachnaroks as you like, but the Upkeep for that army would be insane and you'd probably be mid to late game before you could do it anyway.
>>
>>47262546

Painting Tomb kings chariots for my new tournament list. Once these and my third scorpion are done I'll have this army pretty much finished except for a unit of Ushabti I'm never going to be able to afford.
>>
>>47263925
Empire,Bretonia,Kislev and Dwarfs are the weakest factions in fluff and even they can quite reliably deal with Warriors because there are only few of them outside of invasions.
>>
Tell me about Necrach. Are they just magic-focused, or they have other traits, fluff-wise? I remember they like making Abyssal Horrors, so are they like Tzimisce of WHFB?
>>
Okay, it seems there's a mod on slav's side. Yesterday all my replies were purged because I was reporting all of slav's post.
Today i'm on different PC and got warned for reporting slav again.
This sucks.
>>
>>47264621
Maybe slav IS the mod
>>
>>47264667
hm, mayhaps. this sucks even more.

okay, no reports. just ignore him.
>>
File: image.jpg (116 KB, 491x765) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
116 KB, 491x765
>>47264608
They are sort of like a cross between a lich priest and a vampire. They don't need to drink blood and instead tend to sustain directly by absorbing the winds of magic. A lot of the older ones worships Nagash and desire to aid him in his vision for a dead world. Most of them are also increadibly cruel and batshit insane. Besides being naturally talented necromancers they also tinker and experiment a lot with flesh. They would make 10 different Frankenstein's human centipedes just to see what would happen. Then they would try mixing Orcs, Haflings and Fairies into the centipede to see what would change.

They are not very social creatures either and if they take apprentices it's not uncommon for them to do so with the purpose of observing their apprentice for the purpose of their own necromantic science.
>>
File: Shavronne_of_Umbra.png (2 MB, 888x878) Image search: [Google]
Shavronne_of_Umbra.png
2 MB, 888x878
>>47264689
ah, so fleshcrafting is in their portfolio too
'cos I wanted to make some PoE-styled Necrarchs to add some variety to the bog-standard Dragon/Carstein/Lahmian vampire collection
>>
>>47264713
For some reason GW just decided to not include the Necrarch a whole lot in the fluff with 7'th editon and they are hardly mentioned in the 8'th edition.

I think one of the early influences was also Count Orlok. Mostly based around the aspect how he brought plague and death with him whereever he went. So in their first incarnation they had the Nosferatu rat fangs that went away after one edition. In addition to stitching flesh together the Necrarch would also try to manufacture diseases and poisons that they would try to kill the surrounding region with.
>>
>>47263940
Not sure. It's really odd, felt it was strange enough to bring up.
>>
>>47263887
What's wrong with them?
>>47263867
Sand elves are cool and unexplored concept,dunno why he chose WE instead of HE
>>
>>47263940
Apparently the Wood Elves can manifest Loren in any forest of the world as some kind of magical travel thing. So I imagine a Wood Elf army marching out of a tiny oasis.
>>
>>47264433
>>47264433
>Also figuring out how to make proper rules for the maw krusha
But they already exist, you should ask in your general.
>>
>>47265001
I was thinking using the Stonehorn as a base, then 50pts to give it fly and another 30pts for a str 4 armour piercing 'breath weapon'

Sound good?
>>
>>47264431
insee nothing wrong with them being super powerful, but being as common as they are in fluff kind of makes things like Grail Knights and warrior priest seem unimportant. When one of those shows up its supposed to be a big deal, but what's the point when the chaos forces have 50 guys with the same stats and better armor?

Speaking of Grail knights, how powerful are they supposed to be? I remember seeing something in another thread about them being around the stats of mcu captain America, woukd that be reasonable? And where does the average chaos warriors stack up to that?
>>
>>47265047
>pts
>AoS
Nah sounds stupid.
>>
>>47265070
Grail Knights is MCU Cap
Chaos Warrior is MCU Black Panther
Warrior Priest is is MCU Iron Man (i.e. regular tough guy, empowered by suit/blessings in combat)
Forsaken/Chosen are MCU Inhumans
>>
>>47265070
I'd imagine Warrior Priest tier
>>
>>47265076
It's because the Stonehorn kinda has the perfect rules to represent a brutal, durable, and heavy-impact unit. It costs a daemon prince 40pts to fly, but a DP has movement 8, so 50pts seems more appropriate.

A chimera pays 30pts for its str 4 flaming breath weapon. I thought paying the same and replacing flaming with armour piercing (since they're relatively equivalent) would be fine.

I reckon it'll work!
>>
>>47265103
Flaming is weaker, 'cos Flaming is countered by a lot of stuff with Fireborn rule. ArP has no weakness, and armor is more widespread than Flammable units.
>>
>>47265103
>t's because the Stonehorn kinda has the perfect rules to represent a brutal, durable, and heavy-impact unit
But why you didn't want to use official rules for maw-krusha and discuss it in proper thread?
>>
File: image.jpg (334 KB, 1214x820) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
334 KB, 1214x820
>>47265070
They are only really common during a Chaos incursion because they have been gathering far up in the Chaos Wastes. There time doesn't work like in the rest of the world. This creates what would otherwise be an impossibly huge gathering of legions. They could spend hundreds of generations just gathering up in the far north to one day be let loose for full scale invasions. To them it would feel like a short period of time. Otherwise they typically band together in armies to earn greater glory than just burning villages and slaughtering small towns.
>>
>>47265070
All Grail Knights are basically supposed to be a cross between Captain America and Knight Roland.
>>
>>47265185
>>47265093
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv9V7bFvCi8

if Grail Knights really have these kind of stats, I am very impressed. I wish we had some lore that shows Grail Knights being this badass. Plus you have to factor in the lady's blessing, which is stated to be able to shield them from even canon balls. Grail Knights OP
>>
>>47261469
I think this
>https://1d4chan.org/wiki/The_9th_Age
is what people usually post to answer such questuions..
>>
>>47265251
You also have to keep in mind that the heroes, dukes and the king can also be grail knights as well. Those are clearly the pinacle of Grail Knights. Chaos Knights are also described as being the best of the best, but then there are also Chaos Lords which are clearly better. So unit powerlevel fluff in WHFB should probably not be taken too literally.

Speaking of the good old Cap: I would like to see a Grail Knight dressed in his colours throwing a kite shield like the Cap does.
>>
File: 1376954322778.png (16 KB, 200x300) Image search: [Google]
1376954322778.png
16 KB, 200x300
>>47262546
Warmachine miniatures 2bh.
>>
>>47264038
1) it depends
2) nah. me and friends always kept forgetting about it
3) could be cumbersome. better to avoid this, unless really well executed.
4) either allow any unit to skirmish or make some sort of rules adjustment to make small units competitive
5) see 2)
6) why, yes
>>
File: image.jpg (210 KB, 2048x856) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
210 KB, 2048x856
>>47262546
Painting Mantic minis for Frostgrave which I'm just gonna pretend is Mordheim.
>>
>>47264038
>But I got a few questions first:
>1) is random terrain fun in your opinion? like 8th's forests/lakes/swamps?

No. We never played it in 8th. We just used regular hills, forests and impassable. Also buildings were impassable.

I'm quite happy to use the 9th age terrain rules now.
>2) is stuff like all those various 8th terrains that you always have too keep track of (e.g. shooting statue, spellcasting portal, etc.) fun?

See above.

>3) how would you feel about battlefield/scenario-specific model rules and whole units being added? e.g. a set of siege equipment for each faction for siege battlefields, or whole swimming stat for naval battles.

Eh, depends?

>4) there's a problem with battlefields (e.g. jungle, cityscape, caves) where 5-man wide units hardly fit and many ranks make it unableto turn. what to do?

If the can be made fit by for example removing parts of the terrain (like you can take the GW forests off the forest base) then I'd just have them stay in formation, only get penalties like cannot get rank bonus. If it's absolutely impossible to fit a unit, have it assume a skirmish formation comparable to 6/7th edition but force the unit back into a block as soon as possible.
>5) how would you feel about neutral monsters/creatures, provided they have explicit rules how they act?
Depends on how they act and how large of an impact the'll have on the game. If the oponent got 600 extra points worth of dragons on his side because the monster reaction tables demanded it, it wouldn't make for a balanced game.
>6) would you even be interested in this?
Not really. Others might show more interest though.
>>
>>47263925
>Champions of other factions like Grail knights don't even Match them in stats.

Ive been playing 9th fpor awhile but as far as I remember they were comparable in 8th. In 9th grails are certainly better than core warriors and arguably better than the elite warriors, at least if you factor in the ward and blessed attacks.
>>
>>47265121
I appreciate the feedback - how about str 3 AP instead of str 4 flaming?
>>
>>47265568
that's better imho
>>
>>47265568
I'd make it cheaper then. I would much rather be s4 flaming than s3 AP.
>>
File: kings.png (2 MB, 1560x862) Image search: [Google]
kings.png
2 MB, 1560x862
How did nehekarians interact with dragons?
Did the climate make their meetings rare?
Were they venerated or hunted down?
What's up with pic related?
>>
File: image.jpg (250 KB, 736x973) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
250 KB, 736x973
>>47266056
To my knowledge the Nehekharans didn't interact a whole lot with dragons.

Most zombie dragons comes from the Plain of Bones which is east of Nehekhara and over the World's Edge Mountains. In ancient times when dragons sensed that their death would soon be upon them they would migrate to the Plain of Bones and die amongst the remain of their ancestors. This practise of the dragons ceased after the first Chaos Incursion and the Plain of Bones became cursed with dark magic and the dragon remains became undead. Undead wizards will travel there to bind one of these undead to their will.

Sometimes an undead wizard will be powerful enough to reanimate a dragon from scratch like the Necrarch vampire Zacahrias the Everliving.

That image is also from a period before the first Tomb King army book was published. So it's entierly possible that it was later disregarded in Nehekharan context.
>>
File: KANGZ.png (3 MB, 1004x1404) Image search: [Google]
KANGZ.png
3 MB, 1004x1404
>>47266348
>That image is also from a period before the first Tomb King army book was published. So it's entierly possible that it was later disregarded in Nehekharan context.
Found it in the 6th edition rulebook, in fact, along this little gem

perhaps it was still influenced by the TK being relatives of the undead as a whole armybook
>>
File: wake me up.png (168 KB, 275x350) Image search: [Google]
wake me up.png
168 KB, 275x350
>>47266499
>>
>>47263867
The army looked sick, but the battle itself was pretty underwhelming. Would not recommend watching past the army description phase.
>>
>>47266056
most likely though they were just another kind of lizard from southlands.
>>
>>47264815
>What's wrong with them?
Bunch of casuals pretending to look like good players.
>>
File: 1446860293361.png (777 KB, 967x425) Image search: [Google]
1446860293361.png
777 KB, 967x425
>Play skaven
>Consider myself pretty good player, win more than I lose
>Preparing for tournament
>Submit list
>Decide to read up on some skaven tactica
>mfw nothing mentions any of my tactics
>mfw recommends troops and strategies I don't use
>mfw suddenly feel like a shit player and confidence gone

I'm scared. Am I going to get mauled?
>>
>>47267122
That's a tough question, tourney lists and tactics are usually based around dealing with tourney staples and gaming the comp system. Specifcally because you need to table your opponents consistently to win first place.
If you can beat the high powered armies
>light empire council
>chimera spam Woc
>tripple terrorgeist VC
>Double pheonix/ banner of the world white lions HE
>etc

You'll be pretty much set, if not it'll be an uphill battle.

What does your list and tactics look like?

>>47262546
Painting and assembling the skeleton horde box for AOS and prepping my dark elves for painting.
>tfw main gaming partner made the switch full time.
>>
>>47267122
You will either embarass yourself or create new meta.
>>
>>47266499
I think it was originally featured in the Warmaster rulebook that was released around the same time as WHFB 6'th edition. In Warmaster the Undead faction was pretty much Tomb Kings, but they were a less refined version of what they would later become. They had zombie dragons, wraiths and other stuff that later remained Vampire Counts exclusive.
>>
>>47267122
>>47267197
Which edition is the tournament? If it's 8th, I have all the army lists from the 2015 US Masters tourney which I can post later, if you think it would help.
>>
>>47262546
I'm working on later stuff in my WHFRP 2e campaign because the current scenario is just about done.
>>
>>47263925
>Seriously, how does one even fight a war and of these things, let alone armies of them?

Stand to the left of and slightly behind Gotrek.
>>
>>47265382
>>47265251
Grail Knights are more like the winter soldier and TFA captain America levels. The Dukes, lords, heroes and Kings are probably approaching civil war cap levels. Then we have the green knight who is pretty much CW cap with the added bonus of being intangible, immortal and able to teleport around the battlefield. Green knight is ridiculously powerful, it's a shame he's fucking useless and almost never shows up when it matters

>>47266056
In the 8th edition tk book there is a historical battle in which a dragon flies down from the worlds edge mountain and starts smashing burial pyramids. It also mentions hhe desert being inhabited by Dragons now. Ancient nehekarans probably dealt with Dragons only rarely, the same way as the empire.
>>
>>47268904
I would instead compare the Green Knight to Ghostrider.
>>
>>47263925

Doesn't the fluff just exaggerate things half the time? In one story they are invincible and in others not that big of a deal. It is the same way with space marines.

Most of it is just piling on stuff to make things sound bad ass and make the heroes who win look better.
>>
>>47269859
>Doesn't the fluff just exaggerate things half the time?
Yes, I'm still surprised when people take some things literally.
>>
Anyone got the Chaos Dwarf PDF? Can't find it anywhere, just shitty fan versions and AoS.
>>
>>47269877
The way I see it, the battles are often written with exaggerations or are skewed to make their featured army look better. If you read the same battle in 2 separate army books you often get 2 pretty different stories.
The unit descriptions in the army books are the closest we'll get to actual capabilities and i more or less take those at face value. You just have to be mindful that they mention all the good things about that unit without mentioning all the ways the other factions have to counter it. You wouldn't talk about how badass chaos warriors are, then mention in the same passage about how they get instantly targeted by every gunpowder unit on the field and by the time they reach enemy lines they're outnumbered 20-1 and getting stabbed in the balls by 6 halberds.

So when the chaos warrior description says their flesh is hard as oak and they don't need food or rest, i take that as truth. When they say 100 chaos warriors REKT Araby so bad they created rivers of blood, i'm pretty sure they left some important details and exaggerated the crap out of the warriors.
>>
>>47260367
Source?
Undead when?
>>
>>47270064
In the MEGA link in the resources of the OP:
Either in fantasy/armybooks/older editions, for the first outdated armybook, or into fantasy/forge world, inside the campaign book for tamurkhan, for the army list made by forge world
>>
Something I realized about the Strigoi BotB List for 6th Edition Vampire Counts: You can run a (sort-of) well-rounded list without a single "Undead" unit besides your Vampires. Convert and theme your army just right, it'd be easy to play them as a Mourkain / Strigany list.

Characters are Vamps, obviously. Core is at least one unit of Strigany and then a couple of Ghouls / a block of Charnel Guard converted as Strigany skirmishers or personal guard (The default light armor for Strigany and base 2 attacks for Ghouls work well in this regard). Some bat swarms can take the role of tarpit if you find yourself wanting.

Rest of your mortal army? Dogs of War. Such a list wouldn't necessarily be competitive, but it could be a pretty nice project to work on. Pretty thematic too, representing a Strigoi Vampire that didn't go feral (perhaps catching up with then following / leading a bunch of Strigany that fled from Mourkain after its fall).
>>
>>47260232
How do I beat Nurgle WoC with Orcs? That +1 to hit is fucking killing me. Plus their spells are insane!
>>
>>47270401
War Machine spam and / or some lucky Warpath castings.

OnG have one of the cheapest gunlines in the game. Something like 480pts for two Rock Lobbas, two Doom Diver Catapults, and four Spear Chuckas. The latter two of these each ignore armor, which is something Chaos REALLY doesn't like. With four Spear Chukkas you'll statistically get 1-2 hits a turn too (1-3 if you aren't cheap and spend another ~70pts for two more), and so long as they don't Misfire the Doom Divers should have no trouble hitting with at least one.

All this, again, for less than 500pts (only 550 if you go x6 Bolt Throwers, ~570 if you're playing with a later book's 90pt Stone Throwers).
>>
>>47270251
>Source?
http://steamcommunity.com/app/276810/discussions/1/357286119106647972/
>Undead when?
Beats me.
>>
>>47270219
The same description says they are as tough as iron mountains...I prefer to give every piece of fluff the possibility of having some degree of poetic license, if not for having a less extremist vision of things, to not fall into the pit that is power levels comparisons.
>>
>>47260232
> we are legion

We Chaos Space Marines now.
>>
Does anyone know if there's been any information on when we might see a console release for Vermintide?
>>
File: image.jpg (290 KB, 640x896) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
290 KB, 640x896
Why do people seem to have a hard time believing that bretonnia could win battles against the empire just because they don't have gunpowder? I find it a bit insulting that no one questions how filthy beastmen and goblins fighting with rusty weapons and armor can threaten the empire, but wonder how an army of magically protected Knights couldndonthe same. With army-wide ward saves that have been stated to be able to stop bullets and canon balls, Pegasus Air Force that can wreck artillery crews, and mcu captain america level heroes, bretonnia has the perfect counters to what look like insurmountable imperial advantages. I wish the fluff focused more on battles between these 2 nations. I'd especially love a piece about an overconfident imperial general from nuln who brings a full gunpowder army and gets BTFO for failing to account for the lady's blessings
>>
>>47262527
8th, we went for 1500 since our friend who plays Lizards only has that much. Game was fun silverhelms pack too big of a punch for his horde of pink horrors but man do those screamers do work. So i just bit ordered a bunch of stuff for our Mordheim group including a bunch of Bretonian Great Helm heads...not sure what to do with them I might make a bunch of foot knights loosely themed on King Arthur and the Knights of Justice
>>
>>47272546
Mostly 40kfags who don't understand how Fantasy works.

Just explain to them that Brets are Orkish Eldar with their own Imperial Guard, while Empire is just Imperial Guard and Eldar.
>>
>>47272546
For the most part, there's a reason the rise of blackpowder, field cannons, pikes, and so-on lead to a decline in shock cavalry (esp. cavalry using proto-plate designs). Likewise their civilian levy - even in the editions wherein they're less shit-on - tend to be much poorer in quality of training and kit than the professional soldiers of the Empire.

Bretonnia has aforementioned Pegasus Knights, army-wide magical protection (if, seemingly, to a lesser degree than what Nehekharans had before their original pact with the gods was broken), etcetera. But with a lot of people preferring their WHFB more low-fantasy than high- / monster-choked, they just see "Lots of knights w/ worse armor and lots of infantry w/ worse everything" and conclude "Hah, they should lose in any straight engagement".

Oh, yeah: Lady's Blessing also varies significantly depending on the source. In some it's basically a minor luck charm, "bullet strikes at just the right angle to deflect off armor" sort of shit. In others it allows Knights to stride through Dwarvish fire-cannons with nary a burn on them. Obviously one does better against massed cannons and pike walls than the other.
>>
>>47273755
Most people think of Bretonnia as a more underdeveloped country than the Empire. They are also basically noble rednecks that decided that ranged weapons are for faggots because muh honor.
>>
>>47273755
One of the reasons why i don't agree with the low fantasy camp of players in the fan base, the setting actually makes less sense when you try to ground it in realism. You can make The empire and bretonia mostly realistic, and keep orcs pretty low fantasy, but then that begs the question why they don't get BTFO by everyone else. None of the other factions are realistic, they weren't even in earlier editions.
It also makes the fight between the empire ad bretonnia unfair, as shit peasants backed by knights with minor luck protection will lose badly to gunpowder and pike blocks. In the 8th edition brb, the Bretonnians are pretty High Fantasy, with the ladys blessing negating most of the disadvantages knights would face. Bretonnian knights can charge straight into gunfire, smash apart pike blocks and fight longer than normal men. A fight between them and the empire should be fair. In fact, 2 of the major imperial invasions that happened in recent history were the result of the empires best troops being pulled into a conflict with bretonnia.
>>
>>47274242
>Bretonnians are pretty High Fantasy
> medieval knights state
>High Fantasy
Yeah Witcher is High Fantasy too.
>>
File: beastman three eyes.jpg (745 KB, 1280x1129) Image search: [Google]
beastman three eyes.jpg
745 KB, 1280x1129
>>47272546
Generally beastmen and goblins are just weight of numbers and superior woodcraft (And physical advantages for Beastmen) But I do see your point, Blessings can counter the Empire pretty well to the point a full-blown battle would end quite badly for both sides and leave them vulnerable to inevitable ambush by Beastmen/Greenskins/Skaven.
>>47274352
High Magic fantasy then.
>>
File: khar2.jpg~original.jpg (57 KB, 1023x682) Image search: [Google]
khar2.jpg~original.jpg
57 KB, 1023x682
>>47274426
On the topic of beastmen, I love this custom model.
>>
File: khar.jpg~original.jpg (53 KB, 1023x682) Image search: [Google]
khar.jpg~original.jpg
53 KB, 1023x682
>>47274530
>>
File: khar3.jpg~original.jpg (60 KB, 1023x682) Image search: [Google]
khar3.jpg~original.jpg
60 KB, 1023x682
>>47274557
>>
>>47274426
>High Magic fantasy then
Nope.
>>
How do you guys deal with mutations in CotP warbands? I've had to fire 3 mutants because they keep getting fucking arm mutations, one of which waited all the way till rank 7 and after I got several expensive ranged skills on him to do so. Should I just not bother with ranged weapons on mutant heroes and just make them all melee fags? Also I'm having a hard time making gold.
>>
>>47274706
>army wide magical protection
>goddess manifests before each battle if they pray
>magical super soldiers
>not High Magic fantasy

And everyone seems to forget the damsels, who are powerful and common as far as human spell casters go, with magic oriented towards nature.

Bretonnia only works because its knights are high magic, without that they'd be pretty insignificant compared to the empire.
>>
>>47274990
>>magical super soldiers
Here is your home -> >>47265997
>>not High Magic fantasy
Witcher have supersoldiers and multiverse with shitton of powerful mahes yet still it's dsrk low fantasy.
>>
>>47262546
Have a shitload of Empire State Troops to build (ie. 100+) and then a Harry the Hammer to clean. The fucking mold lines on that model make me want to weep, it's going to take ages.
>>
File: 1462481054844.jpg (47 KB, 640x399) Image search: [Google]
1462481054844.jpg
47 KB, 640x399
I dont really browse /tg/ anymore but I love everything warhammer. I used to play warhammer online until it shut down. Now with return of reckoning (free to play private warhammer) being live and almost complete, I just saw this and thought some of you nerds might enjoy it.

Create a dwarf and on wednesday come roleplay and fight.

https://www.returnofreckoning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4135
>>
Any complete scans of 6E? All the ones I've found are missing pages.
>>
>>47263925
>Anything caught in a grinder against 7 foot tall superhuman who can fight continuously is going to get BTFO

Still just a mortal, the real melee monsters are vamps. Making the fact that the CW are like 2 feet taller than them makes it more hilarious because they rip them in half like paper.
>>
>>47272546
Generally beastmen and goblins are nothing but an annoyance to the Empire, they only become dangerous with something more relevant gets involved - like orcs, or magic-empowered northern barbarians, or another tantrum-y invasion by the vampire cunts.

Beastmen only become dangerous on their own when they move in herds numbering in the high thousands, which they rarely manage to do, because they're viciously stupid.
>>
File: Beastman whip multihorn.jpg (116 KB, 767x768) Image search: [Google]
Beastman whip multihorn.jpg
116 KB, 767x768
>>47277262
Beastmen and Goblins are just REALLY hard to wipe out on their home turf.

(I love the fact that such giant beasts are so stealthy in the woods)
>>
File: Beastman hornblower.jpg (104 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Beastman hornblower.jpg
104 KB, 1024x768
>>47277284
This is bugged in my photoviewer let's see if it works here.
>>
File: dark elf pirate.jpg (71 KB, 830x575) Image search: [Google]
dark elf pirate.jpg
71 KB, 830x575
I love dark elf pirate masks like this.
>>
File: HighElvesLothernSeaHelmBar.jpg (33 KB, 600x150) Image search: [Google]
HighElvesLothernSeaHelmBar.jpg
33 KB, 600x150
>>47277463
STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM!
>>
>>47277463

I'm a fan of the 2004 metal Wood Elf Captain with sword and spear. That's a pretty okay sculpt. Would have preferred to see it updated than what we got as its finecast replacement.
>>
>>47265121

Disagree. There are a lot more stuff with Regen than with Fireborn.
>>
>>47277463
Why does he wear the mask?
>>
>>47264779

I imagine they simply found the other bloodlines more interesting.

>>47269859
>>47269877
>>47270219
>>47270700

Or maybe the writers don't give a damn about being consistent and just write whatever works. No exaggeration or propaganda excuses.
>>
>>47279666
Because he stole it
>>
>>47279690
>I imagine they simply found the other bloodlines more interesting.

Possibly. But I also don't recall them being an unpopular bloodline and they really fitted the gothic horror theme of VC. Although, GW kinda moved away from the classic gothic horror theme with the 7'th edition vampire models. I don't think they were even mentioned in the 8'th editon army book. Maybe it was to make Mannfred's new Orlok look seem more special?
>>
>>47279698
He is big druchii.
>>
>>47279698
If they try to take it back will he die?
>>
>>47279802
>>47279822
(you)(you)(you)(you)
>>
>>47280114
Was being agitated part of your plan?
>>
>>47277905

Exactly. Who the hell cares about Dragon Princes, you want to kill things like Aboms, Throgg Deathstar, Chimeras and Mortis Engine Crypt Horrors.
>>
File: Hunt.jpg (110 KB, 1073x674) Image search: [Google]
Hunt.jpg
110 KB, 1073x674
Seems like the full Sylvan Elves books is going to be released tomorrow. Pic related.
>>
>>47275557

The Bane of Empire Generals existence is the shit ton of state troops.
>>
>>47280821
Nice, looking forward the art
>>
>>47269877
that probably comes from the fact that the two warhammer settings make it incredibly hard to figure out when something is supposed to be hyperbole versus just a part of the insanity of the setting.

40k is particularly bad about this having such things as having plasma guns that fire with the heat of a small sun (fuck convection) and space marines that can move at imperceptible speeds.

For the most part fantasy is better at avoiding this, but then you get stories like the dwarfs burning down towns over fractions of a penny or chaos warriors who literally never sleep or eat; so the whole figurative vs literal is hard to distinguish.
>>
>>47274352
Technically even Game of Thrones is High Fantasy
>>
>>47280821
the quality of art so far is not very good,but lore started interesting
>>
>>47280226
or perhaps he's wondering why someone would quote a man before understanding his post
>>
>>47280821
god that's ugly

>>47281340
>>47281308
don't reply to slav
>>
>>47282548
Is it? I only watched the first two seasons and haven't touched the books, but it seemed very low to me
>>
>>47282383
With the Dwarfs, its always literal and black comedy.
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 221x217) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 221x217
>>47280821
>>47282653
>>
>>47280821
Any rules changes? Or just lore and art?
>>
>>47273631
>Brets are Orkish Eldar with their own Imperial Guard
okay, this is fucking awesome. i'm screencapping that
>>
>>47272546
>>47273755
Most anons don't understand how war works in the fantasy world.

To explain it to them simply. they shit on the empire for the same reason the mongels shit on everyone.
They're a fast moving highly disciplined force who route the every living shit out of the slow moving empire armies.
>>
>>47283284
lore and art. 9th Age said that v1.0 is absolutely final version until next "edition".
>>
>>47283794
Doesn't that assume that the empire uses only state troops and the Brets don't? Empire knights are argueably the more secular equal of the Bret realm knights and assuming that the brets have men at arms and bowmen, they are only moving as fast as the slowest part of the army.

I think the problem ore is that in theory the magic of the brets balances out the size and tech of the empire, but on the tabletop that's not the case due to their army book being out of date, and people take that into their interpretation of the fluff.
>>
>>47284055
Entire armies of knights aren't uncommon for the brets.
When they do use peasant levies they're as cannon fodder, out of disregard for those beneath them rather than inherent malice though.
>>
>>47284122
not to be impolite, but an entire army doesn't actually suggest much in the fantasy setting. Considering that all knights are of the noble class, save for the rare cases when an individual happens to be promoted, they really don't have any reason to have more of them than the empire, or how they can soles use them, since enclosed spaces or mountain terrain ruins their day.
>>
>>47283794
I don't think most Anons know how war works in general.
>>
>>47284183
Bretonia had enough knights to start an errantry war, there's a lot more of them than there are peasants and indeed empire knights.
They're also of a much higher quality than the empires.

As a side note, the slowest moving unit in the empire armies are their artillery.
>>
>>47284500
>Bretonia had enough knights to start an errantry war, there's a lot more of them than there are peasants and indeed empire knights.
>They're also of a much higher quality than the empires.

>there's a lot more of them than there are peasants and indeed empire knights
What? They have a lot of knights, but not more knights than peasants.

No that
>>
>>47284500
I'm pretty sure that the Empire have higher quality military gear than Bretonnia in general.
>>
File: image.png (183 KB, 492x234) Image search: [Google]
image.png
183 KB, 492x234
The strength of Bretonnia is a combination of Orky belief magic, Fey enchantments, and being human High Elves.

The strength of the Empire is extra combat experience, holy magic, being human Dwarfs, and being human High Elves.
>>
>>47284631
Not really.

Bretonnian gear is full plate with magic.
Empire gear is some plate plus fluffy cloth.

French knights vs Landsknechts.

The only things the Empire has but Bretonnia doesn't is Wizards in all types of magic and guns (Brets do have cannons, but refuse to use them outside of naval combat).
But the Empire doesn't have the support of the Fey or superhuman demigods.
>>
>>47284746
>superhuman demigods

Warrior priests and priests of Ulric.
>>
would you pat a gobbo
>>
>>47284785
what? NO! disgusting!

pat a skaven? yesss!
>>
I have a lot of random bits and pieces lying around. I doubt I could use them to make a functioning force in WHFB or 9th Age, but I've been thinking I could make some Mordheim warbands with them. Is this a good idea?
>>
>>47284866

Or Frostgrave, but Mordheim works great. The old rules would work fine, and there's a lot of Mordheim revival/fan editions out there being worked on.
>>
File: 20160516183723_1.jpg (509 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160516183723_1.jpg
509 KB, 1920x1080
The Geheimnisnsacht mod for Crusader Kings 2 just got updated.

They've added Ogres and Skaven to it.

Still runs like a piece of shit though.
>>
File: gobbo.jpg (65 KB, 560x555) Image search: [Google]
gobbo.jpg
65 KB, 560x555
>>47284795
u wot m8 u wud pat a filthy rat b4 a gobbo? ur avin a laff m8
>>
>>47284777
Those are Clerics.
>>
>>47284676
Sigmar have also used clap you hands if you believe magic to gain power.

Generally how I see it
Brettonia strenght is Orky belief magic to a high degree,Fey enchantments and being human Wood Elves

The strenght of the Empire is gunpowder,steel,magic and incest.

The strenght of the Kislev is combat experience,living in Russia and being human Chaos Warriors

And Cathay are propably human High Elves. They might be the most interesting culture that still died unexplored
>>
>>47284746
That fluffy cloth is great at stopping missiles.
>>
>>47284631
They don't.

>>47284589
The peasant part was hyperbole I'll admit.

>>47284676
>extra combat experience
Debatable.
>>
>>47284985
Bret peasants and Empire nobility are the incest culprits.

Probably Nehekharans too.

Empire commoners are more likely a case of "Dunno what happened to dad, he could be anyone. Grew up in a brothel with the other kids, those of us who lived joined the 3rd Nuln. Fucked an Averland hooker that had a few kids already so my blood'll be somewhere other than the ground in front of the gates tomorrow."
>>
What is a good source of cartwheel bitz for conversions? I need different sizes, from skaven cannons' ones to smaller that can fit around skeleton's chest
>>
>>47285850
You can use lego pieces. Just come in one size afaik though. But it's been a while since I looked up the ranges.
Can't really think of anything else that you can just order by itself.

4grounds does a pretty extensive range of lasercut carts and wagons that are pretty cheap. Would be be overkill to buy a whole kit just for the wheels though.
You could check out if Warlord games or Perry sell the wheels on their carts separately.
>>
File: 1395192004643.jpg (22 KB, 235x250) Image search: [Google]
1395192004643.jpg
22 KB, 235x250
Playing Chaos Dwarves for the first time this weekend, just read their army book for the first time.

I am absolutely fucking doomed. How the fuck do you even stop them?
>>
>>47286197
With ease, they're over priced and slow as fuck.

Who are you playing?
>>
>>47286426
Skaven.

>Panic tests
>S4 hits in base contact
>Bell taking dangerous terrain tests
>-2T test or die
>Spell that snipes characters in units
>Flaming attacks everywhere
>>
>>47286197
Make sure you lube that butt up nice and good. No stopping the (literal) Hashut rape train.
>>
>>47286505
Yeah it's not as bad as it sounds in person, everything they have is over priced. Fight them the same way you fight dorfs.
>>
>>47286197
What rules? FW, 9th or Ravening Horde?
>>
Can someone give me the rundown of Mordheim? I've been exploring Frostgrave, and the idea of fantasy warbands in a shitty city full of danger, horror, and treasure really appeals to me.

Also been exploring http://www.wyrdwars.com/ as a potential set of rules for it. How faithful are these to Mordheim?
>>
>>47287330
>http://www.wyrdwars.com/

You pick a warband and recruit guys.You play opponents in scenarios. It is you go I go format.

Shooting isn't effective, but often you can get a lucky shot maybe scoring a disable or kill. Who ever gets the charge in strikes first then its is by INT. Your roll to hit then to wound then to knock down, stun, or kill.

Missions vary, but if you take enough casualties you can rout and lose. However, at the end of every mission you roll to see if people die or get back from their wounds. Then you roll for XP and search for treasure roll as well. You use that to buy more dudes and repeat.

You can literally google Mordheim rules and find them online for free.
>>
>>47286197
>>47286505

Don't worry so much.

>Try to outnumber them at least 3 to 1 in model count
>Pump us the size of your units so they can take some casualties without running
>Keep heavy stuff behind your throwaway units so you can hit combat relatively fresh and shred the enemy
>Plan on overrunning the whole board in models, killing warmachines or running around flanks or the back of units will help
>Since units are tough, focus on them piecemeal and take them out one at a time. Think of it that way, I'm going to kill those infernal guard, then I'm going around the flank and hitting those warriors here, etc. Where you aren't trying to exterminate and overwhelm units just hold the line.
>Kick ass

And let us know how it goes.
>>
>>47287330

Also it tends to be a little random since there are a lot of die rolls and wacky results for some of them. You can win the scenario and have all your casulties die and some how end up worse off than before. You can lose and have people survive yet lose legs and arms.

Its random, but not in a bad way. It is just sometimes you get unlucky and interesting stuff can happen as a result.
>>
>>47287668
>>47287720

Reading up on it, currently.

I'm fine with wacky results, those can end up being fun.
>>
>>47286639
I've just been looking at them on the Forgeworld site. They really are great models. The Infernal Guard especially.
>>
>>47284909
I don't know how people can play on a map that small. It just kills all the fun of the game
>>
So I'm looking to generate generic mooks for WHFRP 2e. Not even NPCs, just fodder enemies whose name is their career. Is there any recommended method for doing this by experienced DMs? I've been experimenting with treating all rolls as average (11s and a 5 for wounds) and applying racial stats, but this produces weird things like skaven stormvermin which can easily outfight black orcs, and outriders that can't really do anything relevant.
>>
>>47291259
I'm confused as to what you're asking.

Are the stats in Old World Bestiary not ok?
>>
>>47291434
They're a good start, but I'm codifying and making some stats for other generic enemies and people the players are like to encounter. A good example are the skaven, actually; the basic stats in there aren't useful for depicting the stormvermin at all. Should I just use the creature careers in core and lay them over the generic skaven stats with a few advances?
>>
>>47291517
There's a specific Stormvermin career in Children of the Horned Rat (note that it's an advanced career after Black Skaven, though).

But honestly, I would be inclined to just eyeball it. Use their tabletop stats as a guideline for their characteristic bonus, give them the obvious skills and talents and then compare them to other, similar creatures already statted in the game.
>>
>>47284785
i wud pat a gobbo
>>
>>47291738
I'm just eyeballing it, yeah. I tried to do it 'legit' with the splatbook, but you get OP mooks that way.
>>
>>47284183
In their first errantry crusade they were able to send hundreds of thousands of Knights to Araby. Even if the brets split that 50/50 with the empire, we're talking 100k bretonnian Knights as the low estimate. All the fluff seems to indicate that bretonnia has more Knights than the empire, and they place much greater importance on them in combat.

Empire and Bret Knights of the realm are about the same in skill and equipment. The bretonnians exceed by having the superior warhorses, more flying cavalry, more widespread Magic, and of course the blessing of the lady.
>>
File: Ogre Mutants.jpg (295 KB, 1094x485) Image search: [Google]
Ogre Mutants.jpg
295 KB, 1094x485
I really fuckin love Warhammer Ogres, they're seriously fun.
>>
>>47290030
The map isn't small at all. It's the whole Warhammer fantasy world.

That's just the Under-Empire segment.
>>
>>47295597
I agree but I'd have liked an unit in the empire, not just mercenaries with an imperial theme, but ogres who became part of the empire and its armies like the chaos ogres did with chaos.
>>
>>47297504
I dunno, I feel like it would kinda cheapen the Ogre army itself if everyone and their mother had an Ogre unit in their army.
>>
>>47299746
make them a rare choice? Honestly I wish dogs of war were still a thing, but I accept that they probably weren't different enough from a standard imperial army to get their own book in later editions.
>>
>>47299746
I could really only see the Empire, Orcs, Chaos, and Vampire counts working with Ogres, (Plus the southern lands and Kislev but they have no armies) Maybe Lizardmen if they realized the Ogres were one of their Masters' best creations.
>>
>>47260256
Why would anyone want to do that?

>>47262065
It didn't fix anything, it just changed the problems.
>>
>>47300628
>vampires and lizards
for the first they could have big zombies and already have ghouls, for the second they have the kroxigors.

>>47299746
How so? just like giants, ogre versions for other armies would integrate their different aesthetics and themes, but the kingdoms' ogres in the end will still retain their own.

Unless the fear is more gameplay wise than thematic, in that case I agree that they should have if not restrictions on the number of units, on the number of models per unit.
>>
>>47300636
>It didn't fix anything, it just changed the problems.
What are the problems now?
>>
>>47300628
> realized the Ogres were one of their Masters' best creations.

Actually they were what destroyed their Master's best creation
>>
>>47300803
Giants?

Ogres main flaw was being untrained and unfinished, their flaw further magnified by the Great Maw.
>>
>>47300845
Sky titans.
Only after years of incest they turned into giants.

Is there a single one of Old one's creations that succeeded?
>>
>>47300888
>Is there a single one of Old one's creations that succeeded?
depends on what you consider success:
not getting corrupted?
stood to the teachings of the old ones?
won against chaos?

the lizards are the ones who most of all followed the instructions and behaved as the old ones would have expected of them, followed by the dwarfs (even if a sect became the dawi zharr).

I'm going to say halflings are their worst creations though.

If only Marius managed to start his genocide on them the world would have been saved.
>>
>>47300888
No, because then it wouldn't be grimdark enough.

And Sky Titans/civilized giants were still too isolationist, and didn't even band together with each other.
>>
>>47300791

It fixed a lot of problems, but it did create some new ones. Artillery/Warmachines are kind of nerfed to badly. Internal Balance is still off. A lot of options are still crappy whiles some were buffed into the straosphere.

Most of what people say is wrong though. Right now the game is just skub anti skub stuff.
It is a vast improvement over the core game. It has come a long way. I think it is a game worth investing in. In maybe two more versions it is going to get pretty great.
>>
File: image.jpg (291 KB, 680x980) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
291 KB, 680x980
Ral Partha Chaos Wars Kickstarter is ending in 10 hours.

All metal Warhammer Fantasy replacements.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1050509756/ral-parthas-chaos-wars-dwarf-undead-troglodyte-min/description
>>
>>47301099
wow, they actually made worse lizardmen than mantic

awesome minis, but sadly a) metal, so will cost a shitton to ship into the arsehole of the world i live in b) TOO FUCKING MANY of them. i'm too lazy to research into a whole new range on such a short notice

nice that GW is getting more and more shafted with each passing day though. fuck them.
>>
>>47301280
Especially by Ral Partha. They tried so hard to kill it, but merely put it into hibernation.

Now that the kingdom of Muhreenz is crumbling it has awoken to drain their treasuries.
>>
File: image.jpg (96 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96 KB, 600x600
>Implying a non-Nehekharan can become a god
>>
>>47302694
dat dancing mummy
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 236x325) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 236x325
>>47302885
Reaper has been doing good replacement Tomb Kings.

Better sculpts for only like $4.
>>
>>47300888
Dwarfs are more or less a success. Everything that went wrong with them was due primarily due to the fag elves and the lizardmen being retards.
>>
>>47303085
Not really.

Dwarfs had no ability to actually fight back against Chaos. Their only solution was to hide in their Holds, fuck the rest of the world.

If that had worked, End Times would have had the Dwarfs as the only survivors.

The ideal scenario would have been Elves making and maintaining the Virtex while Dwarfs defend the Waystones. Humans don't even need to exist, unless you need a race to farm for the other two.

But both races were failures because they were flat-out incapable of getting along. Its canon, from the writers, Chaos would have lost End Times if Dwarfs and Elves could have gotten along.
>>
>>47303159
Dwarfs 'hide in their holds' due to the perfect storm of elven treachery exhausting them militarily, the dumbfuck lizardmen shifting mountain ranges, and being double-teamed by skaven and greenskins.

They can't go on a meaningful offensive against Chaos because they've been in one long inevitable defeat since before the Empire existed, but they intend to make sure every inch of stone is paid for in oceans of gore.

If you think about it, like you said, the doom of the setting comes down 2 two stupid elves, one butthurt mommy-fucker causing chaos for laughs, and one chickenshit Phoenix King who died begging.
>>
>>47303159

They are iron tough and resist magic and build insane fortifications. If you think about it they are kind of a near perfect counter to chaos on paper. Chaos basically takes time to surge in power and then start moving like a river. An old world littered with Dwarf Holds provides a ton of dams for Chaos to smash up against and grind down. And they don't even take up the same space as other since they live in mountains.

Their only real failure is their extreme dedication to grudges and slights. They aren't the type that could do the job alone. Their inability to play nice is what screwed them over. Teams up with anyone they are pretty dangerous as evident by the Supreme power of their alliance with the elves. Instead they went through a bunch of costly wars and then let the Orks and Skaven fuck up all their shit.
>>
What are the gods?
>>
>>47303216
What is magical is seeing how fuckups of tens of people and elves led to the destruction of the setting

I mean would Orcs be so much of a threat if not Grimgor?
Would Grimgor exist if not Chaos Dwarves?
Would Chaos Dwarfes exist if not elves?
Is Hashut elven god?
>>
>>47303216
But the thing that fucked the Elves is Asuryan, Khaine, Lileath, and Ereth Khial (to a minor degree).

When the Old Ones were uplifting races, they should have left the Elves as a race of apes ruled over by hyper evolved versions of themselves that survived the destruction of the preceding universe. Or killed the two survivors that instigated 99% of the bullshit.

Seriously, everything bad that happened in the setting is basically the fault of Khaine.
>>
>>47303607
Souls, buffed by a shitload of Warp energy that was part of the primordial Tzeentch until he was shattered by Khorne.

In 40k terms, self-made Daemon Princes unbeholden to Chaos Gods.
>>
>>47303216
Its canon Elves and Dwarfs were going to go to war eventually. That's why Malekith limited contact with them before his betrayal.

But he manipulated it into a massive conflict that all but destroyed both races, when it would have been small periodic conflicts.
>>
It's out, guys:
>http://www.the-ninth-age.com/news/index.php?news/311-welcome-to-the-world-of-the-trewi-or-as-we-humans-like-to-call-them-sylvan-elves/

>inb4 meme-rules
>inb4 shit artwork
>>
>>47304118
>trewi
so they are Fountain Elves now?
>>
>>47304134
Just reading it myself. I guess that's supposed to be Celtic or something? I don't know, but I think there is a system to the sillyness.
>>
>>47304118
>at least half artworks are fucking awesome
>stealing them as inspiration and/or concept arts
>names are quite in style
>the bits of fluff I picked up as I skimmed over the book are pretty swell, for filler

I fucking approve of this fucking book!

>>47304163
GW Elves are actually pseudo-Celtic too. especially Wood Elves
>>
File: wp_ss_20160517_0002.png (634 KB, 768x1037) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20160517_0002.png
634 KB, 768x1037
>>47304118
Pretty fucking neat
>>
File: rtyrturu.png (1 MB, 667x909) Image search: [Google]
rtyrturu.png
1 MB, 667x909
>>47304118
rated A for Awesome
>>
>>47304385
Too bad I don't play WEs. Would be fun to convert a shapeshifter.
>>
That art is really great. Impressive work for something free and fan made.
>>
File: TBdRIvpKkcI.jpg (239 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
TBdRIvpKkcI.jpg
239 KB, 900x900
is there a justification for skaven looking badass and edgy instead of shitty and rusty?
>>
File: wp_ss_20160517_0003.png (2 MB, 1116x768) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20160517_0003.png
2 MB, 1116x768
>>47304118
What meme rules?

>shitty artwork
Depends on the expectations and point of references, they're in no way the absolute best, pic related for example has a strange depth, but for fans book I think they are way more than enough.
>>
>>47304542
That looks more a wolfman than a ratman, what does it have to do with the skaven?
>>
>>47300888
None of the races succeeded individually. what could have worked is if the Old ones put the races together in a caste system the same way they did with the lizardmen.
>Dwarfs as the craftsmen and architects
>elves as the mages, philosophers and administrators
>ogres as the frontline shock troops,
>humans as the adaptable, expendable force that can do anything the other races could do but not as well
>halflings still useless

of course if they were united from the get go then chaos probably would have been defeated, and the only "bad guys" would have been orcs
>>
File: xmT7XsAIjGs.jpg (190 KB, 652x900) Image search: [Google]
xmT7XsAIjGs.jpg
190 KB, 652x900
>>47304671
well, it technically IS a werewolf, but another werewolf from same set of artworks looked so much like a Rat Ogre I decided to try to adopt the style for my Skaven if possible
>>
>>47304691
>haflings as expendable infiltrators that get behind enemy lines and covertly devour their stores of food overnight, leaving enemy armies famished and weak
>>
>>47304542

Not really. Rats by their very nature are disgusting.
>>
File: RqJuhthTJWk.jpg (195 KB, 652x900) Image search: [Google]
RqJuhthTJWk.jpg
195 KB, 652x900
>>47304671
>>47304701
>>47304542
this one looks too badass to be a grey seer though, I admit
>>
>>47302694
>implying any nehekarian became a god worth something more than the old world's pantheon
>>
>>47304745
no. no they are not. as long as they are not diseased and feral they are very fluffy and intelligent. awesome creatures.
>>
>>47303607
Very powerful vortexes of magical energies in the warp that gain some degree of awareness and control/influence
>>
>>47304780
>their nature

We're not talking about the same thing are we? You're talking about a pet. I'm talking about a rat left to its own devices. Any animal taken care of by humans can be nice.
>>
File: nagashvssettra1.jpg (141 KB, 920x600) Image search: [Google]
nagashvssettra1.jpg
141 KB, 920x600
>>47304771
>implying any of the old world gods besides sigmar actually did shit
>>
>>47304771
>implying all gods aren't Nekeharans from the previous Kalpa
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 58

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.