[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'll be GMing an Adeptus Evangelion game here pretty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 201
Thread images: 18
File: AdEva3Logo.jpg (27 KB, 350x135) Image search: [Google]
AdEva3Logo.jpg
27 KB, 350x135
So I'll be GMing an Adeptus Evangelion game here pretty soon. A couple of the players are kinda new to TRPGs, but they wanted to play it. My veteran player will be their operations director.

How have your AdEva games gone /tg/? Did your pilots save the world? Did they get tanged? What was Seele's end goal? Did you change up the themes at all?
>>
V3.05 is fine if you don't have more than 3 eva units.

Any more is suffering.

Also don't make an angel that litetally can't be hit. Give +1 difficulty modifier to angels if your players have positron weapons.
>>
>>47258810
I'll have exactly 3 units, and we were planning on using V3

Why the extra difficulty modifier vs. positron? Are they that good?
>>
>>47258853
Ranged weapons poop on angels and positron is the best ranged weapon. Also the best shield.
>>
>>47258868
Alright thanks for the heads up, I'll keep that in mind
>>
>>47258768
i ran a full campaign, 13 angels and the end of the world, last year. it was amazing. players laughed, cried, learned what it means to be human. it was one of the best exercises i've undertaken in /tg/ related things.
>>
>>47258926
Did you stick with the common themes that the show had?
Most of my players have seen the show, so i'm changing up the mythos the angles/evas/everything else are based on to give them something new
>>
>>47258960
Have a central idea and build the setting around the players.

Maybe everyone will choose to be manufactured or something. That would be pretty crazy if it happened but I'm sure there's something you coukd do with that.
>>
>>47258960
i had a group of 4 players who had never seen the show, so i stuck to it as closely as i could. i used the same NERV, same SEELE, same clone twist 2/3 of the way through.

in terms of actual themes, i stuck with social isolation and learning to trust other people. the main difference ended up being all the pilots were girls, and most of them were lesbian japanese schoolgirls. what a time to be alive
>>
>>47259015
That sounds hilarious, I love it

>>47259000
I'm going to have a character creation session to get a feel of what everyone wants out of this. All manufactured would be interesting, and could raise interesting questions about the nature of the soul and humanity
checked
>>
>>47259100
Don't be afraid to completely change the nature of the soul or humanity as you see fit.

checked
>>
>>47259255
I do have some things in mind, as I want to have the mythos be Nordic instead of Christian

checked again
>>
>>47258926

I recently finished up a game of Adeva that was... it was not what I was fucking expecting, thats for sure.

So we start off on an Island, no second impact or anything yet, as kids. No Nerv, no Evas in the first session at all, just an archeological mission visiting the island to catalog some finds.

So we go around meeting NPCs and establishing our carefree lives, expecting magic to happen, and boy did it ever. We are in the middle of a school session when the entire sky turns to fucking lighting, and the next thing we know we are Evangelions. Not in Evangelions, ARE Evangelions, as in we see through their eyes and everything. Dropped into a fight mid Angel attack, the 4 of us and a fifth Eva already down for the count. We eek out a victory, and as soon as we starting asking questions after the fight everything goes all wonky and we are back home... kinda. Its on the island, but its in their weird underground room with lots of ruined murals and statues and shit, but one of the still legible murals is of the Angel we just fought.

Naturally, the archeological team that we just dropped in on was super interested in understanding what the fuck just happened. And so were we, because the building that room was in? Wasn't there when we left. Also, after we came back we found out, holy shit, all our moms were now missing.

So we had to help the archeologists delve deeper into the ruins, and figure out what the fuck was happening, in order to get our parents back.
>>
>>47259388

The further the dug down, the more Angel fights we would get zipped away to. Sometimes we would get snipped of before and after the Angel fight as well, which makes it clear that whatever world we keep getting drawn into is a much more standard Evangelion campaign.

And every time we come back, our island is different. The ruins expand, there are more of them, and the room of statues and paintings is in better and better shape, in some cases even showing us scenes of shit that hasn't happened yet. And the weird thing is, no one else on the Island notices the new shit. To them, it has always been there. So they have to constantly check with us to figure out whats new, so they can study it proper. We are the only ones that remember everything between fights, so they have to constantly keep us in the loop in case they forget something when the world changes.

There keeps being mention of a fifth Eva pilot, who we never meet directly in the memories, and as the ruins become more solid and the team delves deeper, it is slowly becoming more and more obvious that this is the Nerv Base in our battles, but impossibly ancient.

Shit starts tumbling down for real when, after one of the fights, we get brought back to a sort of rest and relaxation area to debrief, and on the wall is a really generic motivational poster: "Happiness is a journey, not a destination". But the picture on the poster is an Island. Which is clearly OUR Island.

It is worth mentioning that at this point, OOC, we were connecting the dots that this all wasn't real, and we were trying to figure out who in our world was the fifth pilot. There were a bunch of kids that fit the bill in our NPC roster, including the sister of one of the PC's and a really brotastic guy.
>>
>>47259521

But it wasn't any of them. In the end, it was the incredibly shy kid that our NS picked on in the first session and was sort of the running joke character of the rest of the campaign. We made fun of this kid so goddamn much, and at one point even got him arrested.

Buried at the bottom of the Nerv base, we found our final battlefield. One by one we found our Evas, or life sized statues of them at any rate, with obviously fatal wounds. Everything was fucked, HQ was destroyed, everyone was dead. And at the very bottom, the fifth Evangelion cast in stone, holding something in its hands: a glass bubble, like a snow globe, with our island inside of it.

Once we found that room, the island went dark and NPCs slow started disappearing one by one, like the world world was just... shutting down. We used our memories to find the 'secret room' beneath Nerv, where our Adam-alike was being kept, and he was actually still there. And awake and shit.

Obviously, we confronted Adam about or world not being real, and he admitted it. But we still hadn't really figured out why. It turns out that we all died against a really powerful Angel in the real world, wounding it but not killing it, and the fifth member of our team abandoned the fight and stormed Adam instead, starting Third Impact in an attempt to rewrite reality and fix everything.
But our campaign's Adam is too weak for that shit. Too damaged from being used to make the Evas. So he tries, and all he succeeds in making is our one little island, giving us happy lives, but not even for very long. Out in the real world, the island is playing in hypertime. It has been less than a minute since Third Impact started, and the final Angel is still rampaging and bringing down the base. Our world was always going to be just a temporary dream, but Stanley actually tried to save our souls from the real world and put them into this one, so our memories of the real events slowly fucked everything up even faster.
>>
>>47259666

So we are already dead, our world isn't real, and everything is fucked. Kind of a bummer way to end the campaign, especially once we realized how goddamn shitty we were for treating our version of Stanley like a tool after he tried to save us from death.

So we all burn a shitload of Luck and ask Adam: if we burn of the island for fuel, if we sacrifice the rest of the dream, can we manifest our Evas in the real world?

He says yes, but not for very long. And once we run out of juice, there wont be anywhere to go back to. Adam will be expended, and forced into deep hibernation, unable to take any further action for millenia as he regenerates again.

We agree.

So, from Stanley's perspective, he starts third impact and makes a wish to save his friends. It works for a few beautiful moments, and he can see it working, before it fails and collapses before his very eyes. And then, as the Final Angel breaks into the chamber and he thinks all hope is lost... the ghosts of his goddamn friends come to his rescue and manage to swing the fight.

My Visionary was the first to die. Chest got popped like a balloon from a laser, and then I cease to be. The Athlete chick got super crippled and, realizing that she couldn't contribute to the fight anymore, intentionally let herself cease to exist so that the two Evas still at fighting strength could have more juice and time for the fight (the GM told us we were drawing from a shared power pool). The remaining two Evas, plus Stanley, managed to break through the Absolute Defense and kill the core.

Which left just enough time for a touching goodbye from our two survivors before we left that kid alone in the bottom of Nerv, victorious but having lost his friends twice in the same day.

I'm sure my story doesn't really do it justice, but it was an emotional rollercoaster. We all died the true death, but it only seemed fair to save Stanley in the process after all he did for us.
>>
File: watermelons.jpg (210 KB, 648x690) Image search: [Google]
watermelons.jpg
210 KB, 648x690
>>47259388
>>47259521
>>47259666
>>47259875
Super cool story man, I'm kind of jelly at that scenario.

I'd tell the story of my first AdEva game, but it's nowhere near as coherent. Fucking masks, man.
>>
>>47259875
That sounds amazing anon. I hope I can invoke some sort of emotional responses like your GM did, given that my players are kinda new.

How did Playing as the Eva work? Did you just keep all the same rules, or were things changed around?
>>
>>47264542

> How did Playing as the Eva work? Did you just keep all the same rules, or were things changed around?

It was just a perspective change in order to confuse us the first couple battles. It turns out that in the 'real world' piloting an Eva means that when you synchronize with your Eva, you actually lose sight of your meat body and see and feel through the senses of the Eva directly. You meat body is still there, you just don't notice it because it is so much smaller than the rest of you at the time.
>>
>>47259875
That was a great fucking read.
>>
>>47265195
That's really cool. Props to your GM
>>
>>47264176
I wish to know about these masks, man
>>
Does anyone have experience with operations directors? I think it would be fun to play
>>
>>47265963
You are literally playing a different game than everyone else.
And the GM either has to interrupt what the other 3-4 players are doing to do stuff for you, be able to run stuff simultaneously, do stuff for you at a separate time (except when the pilots and OD are doing stuff together) and literally have it be a second game, or - what happens most often unfortunately - just kind of...ignore that the OD exists most the time to focus on the pilots.
It takes an incredibly dedicated GM to have an OD work in anything approaching satisfying.
>>
>>47267135
Thanks. If the gm is dedicated would you recommend it still? I think it would be extremely interesting to play as someone with that type of power, even if it's different from what the other players are doing
>>
is the system really that bad for more than 3 players? my group would number 5 players if I ran AdEva for them like they keep asking me to
>>
>>47267304
Yeah, it's fine and can work, but you have to realize that the OD is playing a different game. You're goin to need to be contriving various ways for the players to be in the same scene if you want the OD and the pilots to be able to do stuff. Generally, since the pilots are children, it's kind of hard for them to be able to do meaningful stuff without them turning out to be hyper-competent.

Regarding general Eva things, if you're going to be changing the setting, you're going to need to have a reason for the pilots to be childre. This was the hardest thing for me to contrive: a callous NERV that doesn't really care about the well-being of its pilots, the robots and angels themselves, the secret machinations in the background all felt simpler than having a rather arbitrary age limit.
>>
>>47268107
The combat takes forever because there's so many things to check. Each round goes like:

>Roll to hit
>Opponent decides if they want to attempt to dodge if the attack hits
>Roll damage
>Opponent decides if they want to reduce damage incoming with their AT Field
>If not, then subtract armor
>Check the Crit Momentum and advance it as necessary
>Then is it over or under Toughness?
>If under, roll glancing hit, apply effect
>If over, roll critical hit, apply effect
>Then repeat for multiple attacks, and each player in turn
>All the while, make sure not to forget already ongoing effects

This is the latest edition though. I don't know about the other.
>>
>>47268117
Ok cool, thanks for the advice. I've got a few ideas for as to why the pilots need to be children right now, but I've still got some brainstorming to do
>>
Playing and running. A weird time in my life.

Currently playing an ATT. Entered the game as a socially manipulative reverse trap with OCD and the stylistic leanings of a cabaret singer. She tried to offload her problems by brain-blasting the NPC manu, but eventually came around. Went from chaotic good to neutral, then neutral good through the power of love. Also got to save two friends in the not-Zeruel and not-Tabbris encounters, one by berserking and another through the Anti-AT field.

I went full Shinji, and I am okay with this.

Game I'm currently running is in its early stages. A rogue planet enters orbit with the Earth in 2001 and causes widespread destruction. Twenty or so years later, the aliens from that planet, realizing humanity isn't quite dead yet, start to mount assaults to break humanity's back. Technology's pseudo-WWII, lots of influence from pulp comics and 30's era serials. Our pilots are a little older than usual, but the party's great. Players all playing well, we mini'ing almost every night. The coward punk even picked up a stray homeless girl as a sidekick.

This is all in Borderline 1.2. Don't mind it at all, even if I know I have to homebrew some of it.

Overall? Looking forward to shenanigans this summer. :B
>>
>>47269725
The game you're running sounds pretty interesting.
What do you mean by "mini'ing?" Never heard that term before
>>
>>47270566
Mini sessions probably.
>>
>>47270566
We hold sessions once a week on Roll20, but between those dates, whenever players are online and in the mood to roleplay, they can do so with or without me. That is a 'mini,' or a mini-scene. As long as they're not fucking around with the plot while I'm not there or breaking things, it helps them develop their characters.

Hell, in one of the last games I ran, two players developed a lesbian relationship almost entirely through minis. It was magical.
>>
File: ac5.jpg (75 KB, 600x842) Image search: [Google]
ac5.jpg
75 KB, 600x842
>>47270703
That's a pretty neat idea. It's a great way to fill in the bits that don't involve everyone, like when Asuka and Shinji kissed because Asuka made them.

but that's forbidden love
>>
>>47270974

it was technically a three-way
>>
>>47271124
that's double forbidden
>>
>>47269725
Hey. Hey.

SHAGOHOD is secretly a knight rider car with the lance glued on, and ELZIA for an AI
>>
>>47265963
You're playing an intrigue game behind the pilots' backs. Just keep that in mind.
>>
>>47271310
what even is that post
>>
File: image.jpg (170 KB, 2067x1602) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
170 KB, 2067x1602
>>47270703
Why is it always lesbians? I don't get the fixation with this degeneracy.
>>
>>47272250
I'm also in one of those games, and I'm just going to also mention that the OD's endgame secret plan is to steal the party's NPC Manu waifu and reprogram her to precisely calculate how to make the earth's finest cup of black coffee
>>
>>47268383
I always just went with "it doesn't work for anyone over 19, we don't know why, and don't have time to figure out how to get around it so oh well"
>>
>>47272275

I'd love it if there were guy/guy relationships in these games, but none of my regular players are gay. Feels bad man.

>>47272980

Please don't. John needs hugs.
>>
>>47265428
This was back in the v2 days when AdEva still ran off Dark Heresy rules. I ended up with a player saying he wanted to play a fanatical manufactured, and another player saying he wanted to play a fanatical anti-manufactured.

So began the fabulous internal politics in NERV's ranks: Seele was the cabal that wanted to use Adam to become a hivemind God, Eigenart wanted to make everybody angelic (effectively psykers), Enclave wanted to remain pure human with a side of cyborg, and the smallest and most secretive of them all, Gehrin, just wanted to preserve the status quo.

There were four pilots: the manufactured, the anti-manu, the starry-eyed Chinese kid caught in the middle, and the German girl whose brother was the chief scientist and a triple agent. There was also an Operations Director who ended up getting himself a cybernetic arm indued with dust from the mask of the first angel the party fought.

Lemme tell you, everybody in that game was right crazy. The OD tore his own arm off to avoid angelic infection during first impact, frequently locked down NERV at any excuse, and issued handguns to the pilots.

The manufactured kid was supposed to be the team leader but he was very shit at it since he just couldn't talk to people.

The anti-manu was probably the most insane, and this guy never stopped antagonizing the manu kid. He also had the most influence on the story since he ended up bringing into it three masks from his home base. They ended up becoming some sort of amalgamation of facets of humanity, so we ended up with the Hunter, the Blood God, and the Manipulator.

The German girl ended up getting told about the five-way clusterfuck by her NPC brother but for whatever reason ended up not acting on it.
>>
>>47273416
So, some time passes, and we get to the end of the game and the Blood God has been released into the wild because the players fucked around with it too much, the Manu character became a host for the Hunter spirit, the Anti-Manu character became a host for the Manipulator (giving both of them Psy Rating 4), the Chinese kid became the best AT Tactician capable of some right bullshit, and the German girl ended up being the best berserker.

Enclave and Eigenart forces end up massing on the outskirts of Berlin in hopes of fighting over Adam, but NERV just nukes the entire city to the ground and wipes everybody out since the players didn't warn their factions about it. The players all get their Eva unlock codes and free themselves from NERV, and NERV says no fuck you and sends the mass-produced series at them. The Chinese MPE defects because the Chinese kid managed to convince the leader there not to go forward with Seele's plan, so everybody decides to team up for one final fight.

The German girl ends up tanking all the hits from the MPEs for about 150 wounds worth of damage while the rest of the party just shoots positron guns at the ball of fuck in the sky. There's a coup in NERV HQ, and Seele is defeated. All the Evas stand around for a little while, joined by the Chinese MPE, and right before they can get to sorting out their differences, the Blood God appears, consumes the wreckage of Berllin, Enclave, Eigenart, and the MPEs, and goes after the Evas.

The fools start trying to talk to the Blood God, but the Blood God doesn't give a fuck, so the Anti-Many player uses his psyker powers at Eva scale to sacrifice himself and burn the Blood God out of existence.
>>
>>47273416
>ended up getting told about the five-way clusterfuck by her NPC brother but for whatever reason ended up not acting on it.

I was actually playing a pilot in a 2.5 Adeva game once and ended up accidentally learning about the weird background conspiracy.

IC, my pilot was a depressive and basically decided to keep it to himself. He was pretty sure nobody would actually believe the things he heard about, and he probably wouldn't have believed it if it hadn't been the Commander he'd overheard too.

He was pretty sure he couldn't have done anything to alter what was going to happen regardless, though he turned out to be wrong about that in the end.
>>
>>47272980
Ziltoid?
>>
>>47273321
Well, you could always get in the fucking robot

>>47273662
It's in the top 5 plans for defeating the extraterrestrial menace. A peace offering, perhaps.

Immediately below that is full-planet orbital bombardment. You get the idea?
>>
>>47273585
Instead, the Manipulator and the Blood God merges into a new entity with an extremely exotic supercharged Eva core. The rest of the players talk it to death, and it decides to gift its core to the German berserker. She decides it's too dangerous for humanity to control and since she's already dead due to going into 200+ sync, she begins to float into the sky to detonate it in orbit.

At this point, the Manu character asks her for the core, knowing that she's been looking up to him since the start of the game. The player rolls enough to resist the compulsion, and ignores him. Then the Manu character decides to use his psyker powers to try to mind control her into giving him the core. She resists. Then the Manu character decides to ask the Chinese kid to teleport him into orbit, then teleport him back so he can try to take the core by force. The two Evas meet, but the berserker is just too damn powerful, and she detonates the core then and there, pushing the Manu out of the blast. Chinese kid, using the MPE Eva as an AT battery then teleports the Manu character back to Earth. Having kept his word, he then teleported the Many character's core, along with the pilot, into a decaying solar orbit.

After the shockwave restores wireless communication with NERV HQ, the chief of science only sees one Unit 03 and one MPE unit above and asks "are you OK?" to which the Chinese kid says "I'm doing just fine," cuts communications, sends the MPE into the sun, himself over the Mariana Trench, scuttles his Eva, and get his Chinese mentor to pick him up in the ocean.

I'm still not sure who won. Probably the Operations Director who saw all the angels and Evas destroyed.

It was kind of spectacular to see the players pull all that off.
>>
Does anyone have any tips for how to deal with the conspiracies running in the background, due to the pilots not having direct access to it that often?

Should the GM just do what they feel would happen in reaction to the party? Or try to include the players directly?
>>
>>47273682
>Well, you could always get in the fucking robot
i mustn't run away i mustn't run away i mustn't run away i mustn't run away i mustn't run away i mustn't run away i mustn't run away i mustn't run away i mustn't run away
>>
File: 1356048128537.jpg (91 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
1356048128537.jpg
91 KB, 960x1280
>>47273768
I asked the players if they wanted to have intrigue or not, and it turned out everybody was OK with intrigue, so I just had to contrive some ways for them to investigate. Directly involving the players might work, because the pilots DO drive giant war machines that would be nice to have on your side.

If the players don't care about intrigue, then just have that stuff happen in the background and make everything focused around character drama.
>>
>>47273846
I'll do this. I will have an Operations Director, so I may include him in some intrigue on the side as solo sessions in between games
>>
>>47273768

I put it in stingers. Like, at the end of an important session, devote a few lines to what NPCs are doing in the background. Menacingly. From there, feed breadcrumbs to the PCs if the party starts to take interest in the conspiracy plot.

I've learned through running Eva that the IDEA that something is happening is not only expected, but anticipated. Confusing player expectations of where the plot is going generates more hype, especially if you involve personal NPCs.
>>
>>47274055
Hype, paranoia, potato potahto. Super effective!
>>
>>47274055
Oh this is actually really cool sounding. Kind of like the Seele meetings in the show, to create a bit of Irony for the players/viewers?
>>
>>47274143

Exactly like the show. Playing it like the tail end of an episode seems to activate the gland in a player's brain that makes them respond with feverish questions I won't answer.

It helps if the investment is there. I've seen games where stingers don't have impact if the plot's stale or the character's aren't interesting.
>>
>>47274716
That's fucking brilliant man. Do you do them in person, like a conversation with yourself, or do you do something else?
>>
>>47258768
I ran a fairly straight up Eva game in the flavor of the original tv show. It ended up being the best and the worst thing I've done, and possibly my defining rpg experience. That was years and years ago, and I can't really recommend the system.
>>
>>47275987

In person when I have a game offline, with different tags otherwise if I'm using IRC or Roll20. Always, I put music on and delay giving them EXP until after the stinger.
>>
>>47273768
I played a manufactured in a game that sadly didn't pan out all the way, but one encounter the GM introduced plot elements to us by having the angel communicate with my character in a way similar to how Asuka was mindraped in the show. It was very disjointed, but my character learned a bit about where he was from while the other characters freaked out when he came out of the attack relatively sane compared to another character on the receiving in that spent some time in the psych ward.
>>
File: shinji sitting.jpg (8 KB, 271x267) Image search: [Google]
shinji sitting.jpg
8 KB, 271x267
>>47276708
>That was years and years ago, and I can't really recommend the system.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
>>
>>47258768
>How have your AdEva games gone /tg/?
Alright, but the DM didn't enjoy it because of two of the four players were kinda fuckheads.

>Did your pilots save the world?
Yeah, just about. Me and the other non-fuckhead managed to unfuck things. The autistic egghead ending up tanging himself to get the god fucking with earth to bugger off, the stuck up rich kid tried to make her own PMC and got fucked over, the edgy prick that kicked Third Impact into high gear got torn apart on the battlefield by the final boss, and my character, that was suicidal and had survivor's guilt at the beginning of the campaign, ended up being the last man standing.

>What was Seele's end goal?
They never really came into it, I think.
>>
>>47258768
Do yourself a favor and pick a less awful system.
>>
>>47272275
You aren't playing Eva if your characters aren't loaded with mental disabilities.
>>
>>47268219
>>47279907

Do you think AdEva would have worked better if it was a more rules light system?
>>
>>47276708
>>47279907
i think it depends where you're coming from when you get to AdEva

my group was mostly DnD 3.5 fags and we'd tried DH 1e once so it wasn't that hard for us. the most annoying thing to me was that each limb has it's own Wounds and Breach can get a little obnoxious to calculate sometimes.

if you were coming from something like FATE or whatever I could get why you'd hate it but I really don't think AdEva is any worse than DnD. I'd actually argue it's less wonky than 4e once you hit higher levels in that system.
>>
>>47269725
Hi charlie.

>>47272275
Well, they had chemisty and bonded over mutual suffering. Plus the other player was a gril.
>>
>>47269725
Which parts do you feel you have to homebrew?
>>
>>47285685
Not him but angel generation isn't TOO fine tuned so you have to adjust or make up custom abilities for angels if you want something special.
>>
>>47279382
Fun fact: BMJ was in that game and it was the first real AdEva v.1 game. I had some excellent players, that's for sure.
>>47283482
I've played a lot of stuff, including 3.5, so that's not the issue. I was active in the development IRC for a while when BMJ dropped the original pdf, and my opinion is that AdEva doesn't really emulate the source material too well. Even the newest version is still based around the percentile system, which I think is a miss when it comes to giant robot action. It's adequate, I suppose, but I wouldn't call it good for a number of reasons. But OP didn't ask about system opinions, so I'll leave it at that.
>>
Going to be running a campaign soon so give me some tips /tg/.
Aiming for a lighter theme (think Gunbuster instead of Eva in terms of grimness) and having a Shinto-themed mythos. Plan was to have 3 Eva pilots or something of that sort. Is there any tips I should know before running this? Also, what's the highest difficulty angel you've thrown at your players?
>>
How far have you emulated Eva in terms of 'dafuq' levels?

I would post the guy who did karaoke in an angel costumeatand made edible Central Dogma and Evas to represent damage, but I'm on iPad.
>>
File: 1424046183093.jpg (199 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1424046183093.jpg
199 KB, 1000x1000
>>47286373
I threw a conniving mechanical spider at them. It spent a while in the background causing various backwater towns in areas still badly affected by 2nd Impact to up and vanish mysteriously. Then as a final act before going quiet, it stole a 20 Megaton nuclear warhead from Russia and began to bide it's time, creating a gigantic space platform with these stolen materials inside a Dirac pocket.

After that, it set the platform to creating minions to start trying to disrupt Nerv's operations. It dropped a bunch of mechanical angelspawn and a gigantic energy drill onto the San-Andreas fault near LA to try and trigger the Big One which would have caused a ton of collateral damage if it had lasted long enough.

Then it attacked the manufacturing plant which was building lightning guns. The angel was weak to electrical attacks. They get a bunch of extra damage when inflicting wounds but can't cause more than 1 critical damage at a time, but if it or its angelspawn were hit with an electrical attack it caused full damage regardless.

During this, Nerv was slapping together some booster rockets to shoot a handful of the pilots into orbit. They managed to destroy the platform, thinking it was the angel itself. What really happened, was it dropped off the platform along with several other minions to hit HQ. It let it's minions engage the support pilots in the background while it snuck into the geofront.

Once everyone was back, and getting through debrief it sucked the geofront into it's pocket dimension and started trying to drill through the base's armor to drop the Nuke it stole into Terminal Dogma. This wouldn't have damaged the "Buried Treasure" or even the angel or the evas themselves much, but it would have blown up the whole city above and pretty much killed everyone the pilots knew.

Thankfully they beat it before that could happen, though I'm still a tad salty that our ridiculously lucky Skirmisher killed it with two RFs for about 20 damage after armor.
>>
File: rei checkem.png (967 KB, 825x752) Image search: [Google]
rei checkem.png
967 KB, 825x752
>>47286762
This sounds pretty amazing, honestly.
>>
>>47286829
Wait what? Are you sure you're responding to right anon?
>>
>>47282857
That's what I'm working on in spare time. I'm running 3 campaigns on top of real life obligations though, so it's a rather slow effort.
>>
>>47287904
Oh, that was the hardest angel I've thrown at my players so far. I think I forgot to mention that
>>
>>47287993
Sorry I meant in terms of the actual value on the Angel
because I have a 13 Difficulty angel lined up as the final boss and I don't know if that's too hard
>>
>>47288023
which edition 3, or 2.5

my group is using 2.5 since we started before 3 came out, so i know next to nothing about it
>>
>>47288072
I'm planning on running 3e
>>
>>47268107
You don't need every Eva to be deployed in every fight. There were plenty of instances in the show when they had multiple Evas but only sent up one to fight the Angel.
>>
>>47288128
Not that anon, but would it be possible to have, say 5-6 or so players but only have 3 deployed per battle at a time or something like that?
>>
>>47288167
The question in that case is, how do you prevent the other 2-3 players from feeling left out?
(Also playing AdEva with so many pilots is a terrible idea, don't do it)
>>
>>47286240
Noize, didn't you quit the internet? Why did you block and remove us like that?
>>
>>47288223
I was planning on either those players being either officers in Nerv or the campaign being a drop-in/drop-out affair, whichever works best with the players.
was possibly toying with the idea of having an operations director but i don't know how much work that is
>>
>>47288262
OD would be a pretty shitty role for a player to assume, in my opinion. While it depends on the tone and setting, I think it can usually be reduced to an NPC who provides tactical insight to the pilots, and potentially emotional reinforcement outside of combat. The whole concept of having an entire separate book dedicated to OD mechanics is absolutely ridiculous to me.
>>
>>47288259
But I didn't quit the internet. I deleted my skype account since I wasn't going to do anything tg related for a while. And I still check my email that I thought people had. I've actually been working on finishing up those AoT rules for a while.
>>
>>47288306
True. On a related topic, what is a good balance roles wise for a team of pilots to have?
>>
>>47288390
>kuk excuses
>>
>>47288390
wew lad
>>
>>47285685

I agree, angel gen is not the best, either in 2.5, 3va or 1.2. Other things I typically homebrew are the downtime options, additional Evangelion construction options, berserk types, and weapon technology.

But only if I feel like it, and only then maybe one or two extra options.

This is mostly for personal preference, as for example weapons tech can vary substantially depending on how advanced your game's setting is. Proxi-fuse cannons for a WWII Eva game, for example, are totally appropriate to homebrew in my book.
>>
>>47288390
We pretty much fixed them on our own. You pretty much became a meme.
>>
>>47288436

Don't be shitty, anon. This isn't a conversation between you two that needs to happen in public.
>>
>>47288390
Funny, considering you can't delete Skype accounts.
>>
>>47288484
It's an AdEva thread, literally shitposting general.
>>
>>47288484
But it does, after the 'block and remove' thing. No other choice.
>>
>>47288435
I am more or less sticking with the book's tech but my setting is psudo-advanced WWII so I don't know how that will work out. I think the party will start with gauss and something else though (possibly superconductors or sonic)
>>
>>47288436
Cool, I hope things are going well.
>>47288485
You totally can, anon.
>>
>>47288601
>You totally can, anon.
Proofs?
>>
>>47288511

Miiiiiight I suggest Nuclear tech? As in, early atomic super science. Shit's crazy.
>>
>>47288656
I was thinking of N2 Shell tech but I still have to kinda figure out the overall tech level of the setting before I figure anything out to be honest.
>>
>>47288615
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA142/how-do-i-close-my-skype-account

You could have googled it.
>>
>>47288700
You don't actually delete it, just remove all your information from it.

You could have read what you posted.
>>
>>47288700
The real question is, why didn't you bother telling anyone before vanishing?
>>
>>47288408
I think that's something you should leave up to the players to decide.
>>
>>47288735
I am a player
>>
>>47288713
>It might take up to 30 days for your name to disappear from the directory, but after that, no one will be able to find you in Skype.
Block everyone on your friends list first, and your account is as good as deleted.
>>
File: Mace-Windu_b35242e5.jpg (55 KB, 768x432) Image search: [Google]
Mace-Windu_b35242e5.jpg
55 KB, 768x432
>>47288756
Not yet.
>>
>>47288760
With that reasoning, logging out of Skype and never logging in also deletes your account.
>semantics
>>
>>47288820
Does logging out and never logging back in remove your personal information and keep people from finding you in the directory? Because if it does, then yeah, that does basically delete your account.
>>
>>47288728
I did say I was deleting the campaign after a week where I stuck around and such. I had no active games running, and I wanted to take a long break with no strings attached. Ergo, account deleted. It didn't really seem all that relevant with everyone doing their own thing at the time, since most of you had active games running for me to suddenly announce I'm quitting everything like some drama whore. I'm honestly surprised anyone cared that much. Sorry if it was abrupt.
>>
>>47288899
Refer to >>47288425
>>
>>47288435
>>47286094
Really out there abilities are, unfortunately, hard to do with angelgen - if it's included, it's no longer Out There or special, and the REALLY weird shit doesn't exactly work with a pointbuy angelgen to begin with.
If you'd be willing to share some of the stuff you've come up with, I'd love to look at it.
>>
>>47288783
so are you gonna answer my question or not?
>>
any estimate on when the Operations Director pdf will come out?
>>
>>47289964
Christmas 2019.
>>
>>47289964
>>47289981
they better put it out soon or i'm going to get tired of waiting and just throw something together in a week, then post it here to spite them
>>
>>47290099
there was already a makeshift one posted on leddit
>>
>>47290099
>throw something together in a week, then post it here to spite them
do it anon.
chances are, it'll be better that what comes out later
>>
File: tg - adeva campaign_1.png (197 KB, 1220x1600) Image search: [Google]
tg - adeva campaign_1.png
197 KB, 1220x1600
>>47259875
>>47259666
>>47259521
>>47259388

Capped without annoying white portion because remembering to crop is hard
>>
File: image.png (42 KB, 248x215) Image search: [Google]
image.png
42 KB, 248x215
> They didn't run Future Space Hebrews and Christ Spaceships in their campaign
Man that thread rocked, what a time to be alive...
>>
>>47290736
>Future Space Hebrews and Christ Spaceships
Tell us a story anon
>>
>>47291180
>>47290736
Seconding this. Spill the beans anon
>>
>>47291180
>>47291424
> http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/23757275/

I am not eloquent enough to, sorry for the wait by the way.

There was a neat 1d4chcan page on it but some retards deemed it too stupid to live.
>>
File: 1315460144226.gif (841 KB, 333x250) Image search: [Google]
1315460144226.gif
841 KB, 333x250
>>47294423
What the fuck is this? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
>>
So what sort of settings have you guys made up? Anything you want to brag about?
my current one is Imperial Japan inspired state shinto with a bigger emphasis on Nerv as a military organization overseen by a joint Japanese-UN R&D division (aka SEELE)
>>
>>47295470
Gunbuster mixed with The Forever War.
>>
>>47295565
That's really funny, because the exact theme I was going for in my own campaign was Gunbuster-esque (at least in terms of "humanity fuck yeah"). What sorta setting/campaign was/is it?
>>
>>47295599
Weird giant aliens attacking human colonies. I had to shoehorn in the defense screen AT Field stuff, though they managed to just get lucky killing one (at least that's what they said) so that the "Evas" could be built.

Hyperspace in setting would cause time dilation and things like that, so weeks could pass for every day/hour you spent in it. Depended on how unlucky you were during the jump.

What was actually happening was the big conspiracy was making the monsters themselves in deep space and cannoning them through hyperspace at colonies they knew would be set up soon. They were trying to scare all the colonies into uniting under homeworld since their big fancy computer predicted the colonies would surely revolt and win against Earth in the future which they couldn't allow.
>>
>>47295470
I just got done for the night GM-ing a game using norse mythology involving launching Einherjar from the moon. The players are slowly finding out that it's actually post-Third Impact from the original series and they just re-named everything in the post-human world, and history's starting to repeat itself Things get more confusing when more than one faction of aliens start to come down making it a four-way war.

Lots of fun.
>>
>>47295711
What sort of 4 way war?
>>
>>47295470
see
>>47294423

I'm not taking credit for the whole thing, but I feel like I contributed.
>>
>>47289370

Let me dig through my stuff, see what I'd classify as good enough to share.
>>
>>47296624
Seconding that anon, any interesting abilities would be fantastic
>>
>>47294423
Must have been during the purge.
>>
>>47300103
The purge?
>>
File: purges, morty.jpg (58 KB, 620x330) Image search: [Google]
purges, morty.jpg
58 KB, 620x330
>>47300435

The purge, Morty. Haven't you seen that movie, The Purge? Its just like that.

They eliminate crime by making everything legal for one night out of every year. Even murder. Its a horrible, bloody night Morty. People die. Lots of people. But its works, Morty. The rest of the year everyone is really nice.
>>
>>47300435
There have been a couple 'cleanups' by anons here and there over the last year, so its possible some people's own personal tastes let to things they didn't they like getting removed rather than simply improved.
>>
obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FckkZihQUaU
>>
File: clone_trooper_wp.jpg (108 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
clone_trooper_wp.jpg
108 KB, 1024x768
I've been thinking about roleplaying a stable, goal-oriented NERV employee. Will my lifespan be shorter than a mayfly, or am I going to survive against the odds only to become the comic relief?
>>
>>47301358
You will die. Might also be useless, as the pilots have gigantic fucking mechs
>>
>>47301358
I think it would be funny/interesting for the pilots to play NPC on the base/part of the staff so they aren't left out of the OD stuff (and vice-versa).
>>
>>47301524
>>47301580
What I had in mind was just a pilot but a competent one, or an OD that isn't childlike, but I like the idea of PCs taking over NPCs during downtime.
In fact, if I ever end up playing adeva I'm going to suggest this to everyone.
>>
>>47302043
It also remove some workload on the GM by letting the minor staff characters be played by someone else.
>>
>>47300542
I'd watch this, no joke
>>
>>47302043
Oh that could work out well. Maybe
>>
>>47302043
>an OD that isn't childlike
what do you mean by this anon?
>>
>>47302913
In most of the games I've read or heard about, it's safe to assume the OD is the least responsible team member.
>>
>>47304254
Why is that? Just wondering because I was thinking about playing an OD
>>
Rezzed.
>>
>>47304296
The way the game's made, the Designated Adult has an illusion of power and safety, often leading to Dwarf Fortress levels of fun.
>>
>>47305661

Not just the illusion. With such powers as 'When Suddenly...' the OD can just batman into any scene he needs to, with the power of plot. Or 'Just as Planned' to have drugged your juicebox this morning.
>>
>>47305661
Or being utterly useless because the GM won't let you do shit all while the players get the plot handed to them
>>
>>47305703
do I smell a storytime?
>>
>>47305733
it was v2. I had no plot relevance, everything I did to affect the plot failed, any attempts to learn the plot failed, and the only way I learned anything at all was from the pilots, who were getting all kinds of things told to them in minisessions (but only SOME of the pilots).
I was there to be a fate battery and nothing more.
>>
So I'm thinking about running this game after some friends read about it/read a story about it, but I have a bit of a problem. The skills make very little sense to me.
Is the ranking in the skill equal to the Personal Score, for each skill? And how do the specializations work?
>>
>>47305824
That sounds shitty but I'm sure you could've talked to the GM about that.
>>
>>47305919

So you have skill groups. Thier value is equal to whatever personal score they are linked with, and occasionally you can buy bonuses to the skill group as well.

Specializations are basically skills in that skill group you actively want to be better at. So if your Knowledge Skill Group is 35, you buy the Research specialization and then get +10 to Research in training.

So if you roll anything else in Knowledge, you have to beat a 35. But if you roll Research, you have to only beat a 45.

In theory, you can make up your own specializations and train in those as well. Like, Knowledge - Mythology or something else not already on the list.
>>
>>47306146
Multiple talks were had, and multiple promises to make things better. They never happened. I only stayed with the group because of the other players.
>>
>>47305824
But then you got games where the opposite happen and the players are confined to doing either nothing or just slice of life until called for battle while the OD does all the plot.
>>
>>47306309
That's a problem too, yes. OD is HARD to do right, because of how much time and effort needs to be put into it
>>
>>47306397
When it's done well, it's really good.
When it's done poorly, it's really bad.

Someone should really release a "how to GM with an OD" guide.
>>
>>47306397
>>47306477
Yeah, OD are hard to balance out. Sometimes its even easier to just not have an OD.
>>
>>47306574
then why even have an OD included in the game if they are so hard to do? alternatively, how can a GM do an OD well?
>>
>>47307888
Because it's been a holdover from several different versions of the game. A lot of players don't even like playing it. Doing OD well requires a lot of one on one, otherwise they'll feel like they're alienated from everyone else. And they are.
>>
>>47306574
NPC OD works unless you've got four players.

>>47307888
Fits the setting, tradtion, balances out some party stuff, gives the PCs someone with authority...

And it's amazing if done well. It's just hard.
>>
>>47306176
Ok thank you that makes much more sense
How does the purchasing of specialization work? How many specifics can you work in?
>>
>>47307954
And because Misato exist.
>>
I have a tough time imagining what sort of things the party will be doing between Angel battles, what sorta stuff have you guys done in between combat sessions?
>>
>>47309931
I usually just let the players fill in the gaps on their own, since we play via Skype. Give them time to interact with each other, maybe have some well meaning Nerv official send them to a nearby hot springs or amusement park for the day to give them a break.

Watch some SoL animes, you can steal some side diversions from them easily enough. Between that and the players hopefully being up to the task of writing a character you should be fine.
>>
>>47310009
I'm an avid anime watcher so I can think of some SoL things for them to do. I think the main issue I might have is balancing SoL with meaningful things happening in between Angel attacks to make it seem as if the plot is advancing outside of combat
>>
>>47310060
Well, regardless of whether you are using V3 or V2.5 there are good hints for some things like that within the GM book for 2.5. You could take a look at that. Maybe have some computer hacker trying to constantly get in touch with the pilots but never managing to directly. Maybe trying to slowly feed them tidbits of info past NERV's cybersecurity or guide them toward some realization about what they are doing to alter the final plan.
>>
>>47310166
I think it might help to say what the ultimate plan is for SEELE/Nerv
basically there are 3 scenarios:
1. SEELE wakes Lilith up and she destroys the Angels but then will likely absorb the souls of Humanity and remake a new Earth.
2. The Angels reawaken Adam and Adam goes around trying to kill the Evas and if the players fail, all of humanity.
3. The Commander of Nerv uses a dummy plug system to spread an Anti-AT Field across the whole Earth and activate Instrumentality (or something of the sort)

For the most part though SEELE and Nerv will be working together and SEELE isn't trying to bring about the 3rd Impact so I'm a bit unsure about how the "realization" will happen
>>
>>47310327
See, here's where having a more radical, desperate conspiracy could come in handy.

For myself, I have one called CHARON that's trying to hijack 3rd Impact and use it to create an actual afterlife for humanity. The people responsible for this will basically be able to control the world since they can pick who actually gets to go to heaven when they die (or so they believe).

Or, if 2nd Impact really fucked up the world, you could have some people wanting to hijack 3rd and attempt to use Lillith's power to restore the planet to it's pre-impact state.
>>
>>47310467
What the main struggle is is that there is the possibility of SEELE using UN forces to forcibly remove the Lance from Lilith in the event that Nerv proves that it's being ineffective in holding off the Angels. But I do get what you're saying. The main conspiracy will most likely be the Nerv Commander getting the Evas to create Instrumentality. The main reason why I wanted no radical conspiracy was because I wanted to go for a more Gunbuster-esque "hopey" theme for the overall campaign if that makes sense.
>>
>>47310519
I'd almost suggest making the commander's secret goal to restore the planet then, if you want that. It's probably easier for the PCs to relate to.
>>
>>47310552
That does make some more sense, considering his character. Thanks then
>>
File: 1429391062019.jpg (818 KB, 1200x1638) Image search: [Google]
1429391062019.jpg
818 KB, 1200x1638
>>47310975
anytime, anon
>>
>>47311004
>posting worst girl
literally kill yourself senpai
>>
File: 1422838108398.png (693 KB, 537x538) Image search: [Google]
1422838108398.png
693 KB, 537x538
>>47311015
>>
File: needmycoffie.jpg (36 KB, 500x446) Image search: [Google]
needmycoffie.jpg
36 KB, 500x446
>>47311082
>>
>>47286829
Don't forget the two damn 'would have killed it' blasts it dodged using fate points before he finished it off.
>>
>>47311370
I only remember one I had to burn angel fate to avoid, the other it just managed to dodge normally.
>>
Ok /adeva/, I just finished making all the angels for the campaign. how is this difficulty progression?
>>
>>47258768
Shinji is best girl.
>>
File: 1451931147339.jpg (415 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1451931147339.jpg
415 KB, 1280x720
>>47313750
>kaworu please leave
>>
>>47313048
That seems like a good power scaling. How many pilots?
>>
Rezzed again.
>>
>>47318574
What is dead may never die

What are some interesting angel fights you all have had in your games?
>>
>>47319196
Our first battle had two low level soldier angels come down, with three rounds between them. I got lucky that my zerker prepared and took on the second ranged angel, while the two points handled the melee angel.
>>
>>47317087
Planning to have 3. One is already confirmed to be a Sniper Type Eva, dunno about the other 2 though.
>>
>>47319953
Range could be an issue, so if you feel they are steamrolling I would up the difficulty a tad. 3 is a good size though
>>
>>47320163
I guess it might help to say the attacks of each as well to get an idea of the range.
1st: Mimic (Sword)
2nd: Shot (with a bunch of AT Powers)
3rd: Claws
4th: Beam and Shot
5th: Melee and Shot
6th: Aura
7th: Shot
8th: 2 Melees
9th: Beam and Aua
>>
>>47320213
I meant the range of the players, but that looks like it'll be fine
>>
>>47319235
You were also the only person to take critical damage.
>>
>>47321689
That's my right as a zerker, okay! Better I loose an arm than our ATT.
>>
>>47322480
Yeah but you still lose an arm
>>
>>47323612
It's back on, no big deal. Who is this?
>>
>>47324046
Your friendly neighborhood anon, not even playing with you. Just making an observation
>>
>>47321031
Why is Zamiel best grill tho?
Thread replies: 201
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.