[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good settings that would be ABSOLUTE SHIT for a roleplaying game.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 68
File: 1329868130367056229.jpg (82 KB, 800x513) Image search: [Google]
1329868130367056229.jpg
82 KB, 800x513
Good settings that would be ABSOLUTE SHIT for a roleplaying game.
>>
>>47255117
Star Wars.

Everyone has their own unique idea of what a Star Wars story should be, especially people who write the official works. And their ideas are often totally different from what each individual player thinks of when they think of an ideal Star Wars game.

Everyone has their own ideas and preferences about the setting, meaning you'll always have at least one person unhappy with the game.
>>
>>47255117
>not wanting to role play a captain in the imperial fleet quickly rising through the ranks thanks to Kaiser Reinhard.

I bet you like to live amidst the mediocrity that democracy brings.
>>
That would depend entirely on how well your dm could brew up political conflict
>>
>>47255483
I think LotGH games would be better suited to starting as admirals. Those are the characters the plot revolves around, after all. Nobody wants to be the guy that gets obliterated in seconds after an admiral is suddenly flanked or led into a trap.
>>
>>47255532
> Nobody wants to be the guy that gets obliterated in seconds after an admiral is suddenly flanked or led into a trap.

Fucking Yang Wenli with his knowledge about Semi-circles.
>>
>>47255532

wouldn't you essentially be a macro manager at that point? I'm only some what familiar with the series but what few bits I've seen of the space battles has casualties in the millions on both sides (which seem ridiculous to me) Do anything actually get down into personal combat or would that not be the point?
>>
File: 1439529820073.png (235 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
1439529820073.png
235 KB, 1200x900
>>47255565
>>
>>47255572
For the most part battles in lotgh are based on formation and massed fire. This means the individual ship isn't very significant except as part of a swarm.

On the other hand, if you really wanted personal combat, you could play as the rosen ritter or other armored suit marines, or as a fighter pilot, but a single ship needs to stay in formation so if ship combat is your thing it's best to be an admiral and make big tactical movements.
>>
>>47255759
Their was that one time bittenfeld killed two crusiers with his destroyer
>>
File: 1389605482084.gif (3 MB, 237x178) Image search: [Google]
1389605482084.gif
3 MB, 237x178
>>47255572
Not in the millions, but hundreds of thousands. Close quarters combat does occur since they apparently have really good armour against handheld weapons, and they like to deploy this explosive gas thing that stops weapons from being fired where it's deployed (since everything blows the fuck up if someone does shoot).
>>
>>47255117
Much as I'm a gushing fanboy, Dark Souls, there's just too much that wouldn't translate over to a nonvisual medium well.
>>
>>47255759
>>47255798
Well the Gaiden series were set well before either Rienhard or Yang became Admirals, and instead focuses on their exploits as soldiers.

You could easily base an entire campaign off of their exploits, such as how Yang b came the "Hero of El Facil", or the time Rienhard and Kirchies were tank commanders in an ice planet.
>>
Dune. Yes, I know there's systems for it already, but the entire point of the books was:
>No more terrible disaster could befall your people than for them to fall into the hands of a Hero. -Pardot Kynes
>>
>>47256486
wile thats nice and all, really
problem arises when you punch go trough the plot, noone really wants to stay a lieuternament in a LOGH game, and at the scale goes gets too big too fast IMO
>>
>>47255815
Why don't they shoot from outside the gas?
>>
>>47256751
Something something they release the gas only when the soldiers are close enough to be caught in it. Well, it doesn't make that much sense, but that goes for a lot of things in LoGH if you look at it too closely.
>>
>>47256244

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game

could be cool
>>
>>47256910
That's not a roleplaying game, though, that's a board game.
>>
>>47255434
I would argue for Star Trek. If you're not the bridge officer, or engineering officer, you die like flies on every away mission. Same if you are not on the Enterprise/Defiant/Voyager, you're cannon fodder.
>>
File: 1409160916359.jpg (178 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1409160916359.jpg
178 KB, 960x720
>>47255596
All brilliant, complex military strategies or tactics can be boiled down to a ridiculously simple-sounding "well, you do this thing, and it does this, and they can't react fast enough to compensate, and you WIN! hell it's SIMPLE now that you just explain it like that with shapes and arrows and such!"
>>
File: typical FPA battle plan.png (1 MB, 624x3337) Image search: [Google]
typical FPA battle plan.png
1 MB, 624x3337
>>47257418
Muh semicircles and tactical retreats
>>
File: NSp7K5a.jpg (62 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
NSp7K5a.jpg
62 KB, 960x720
You could always play as a Phezzani merchant.
>>
>>47257418
id say welcome to PC plans, but mine usualy boil down to punch things
>>
>>47256751
>lol why didn't WWI soldiers just leave the mustard gas cloud lol
You do realize that this usually takes place on ships - where flooding an entire compartment is trivial, retreat to a separate compartment might be impossible or inadvisable for tactical reasons, and an explosion would almost surely destroy both parties - and happens right before an attack by design?

I mean, I guess you can pretend that seasoned generals would be like "hey, let's flood the area in FRONT of them with gas, or better yet, the area WE'RE in with gas, then the enemy can just blow us all up from range!"
>>
>>47257517
I was referring to real-world military plans, but yes.
>>47257447
Sometimes, fighting a losing battle is not only tactically sound, but utterly necessary for a plan to work.
>>
>>47257517
>well, you bring your fist here into his face there as hard as you can over and over, and it just gets more and more bloody and collapsed, and they can't react fast enough to dodge or block, and you WIN! hell it's SIMPLE now that you just explain it like that with shapes and arrows and such!
>>
>>47257418
Wouldn't the Imperial just need to focus firepower on yang semicircle and it would force him to redirect ships from the side to the center in order to mantain the form.
>>
>>47257669
*on the center of yang
>>
File: 1391652579132.jpg (13 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1391652579132.jpg
13 KB, 184x184
>>47257722
The formation breaks into more semicircles because of reasons.
Yang now wins because he's close enough for his stupidity field to affect your officers which suddenly lose competence in the face of too many semicircles.
>>
File: that's why.jpg (46 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
that's why.jpg
46 KB, 640x480
>>47257669
I don't remember the specific battle very clearly, so I'm just going to do a surface analysis of the limited features of the formation.

Assuming a similar spread of ranges, damage, accuracy, acceleration, and top speed among ships on both sides in the engagement - and that Yang is naturally on the defensive and Reinhardt is naturally on the offensive - these are the strong points of your (Yang's) formation:

1. If the whole enemy force comes towards you: you retreat at the same speed, maintaining distance and attitude; the important distinction is that since they are coming towards you, they are constantly entering your effective firing range and taking fire while you are constantly leaving their effective firing range, meaning the advantage in [this scenario lies with you and results in the same field position afterwards.

2. If one enemy flank determinedly extends into yours, you simply reposition your formation (moving back and to the side, ideally sliding to the extended flank's outside in order to put maximal distance between your formation and the main middle body of the enemy force; this maximizes both isolation of their extended flank and the difficulty of the enemy pushing forward with the remaining groups to reset the field position) so that their extended flank is at your center, making it the focal point of attacks from the entire front edge of your force, reducing their number quickly while taking minimal fire in return. The extended enemy flank can either: a) continue in this fashion, taking more damage; b) pull back into the starting position, while you follow suit (while staying out of their firiing range); or c) slowly and awkwardly try to swing their rear side forward , bringing disarray into their ranks because of the circular rotation of rectangular formations and taking focused fire from your entire front on their extended flank for the duration.

(continued)
>>
>>47258352
But could you still counter this tactic effectively using rectangles?
>>
>>47258555
on my head, deep penetration or "slicing" the semicircle would break the formation easy
>>
>>47255434
Funnily enough, this is how I feel about Game of Thrones games. One person wants the Wall, one person wants whoring in Dorne, one person wants schemery, somebody is ALWAYS the goddamn Mountain, the GM has actually read the books, etc. etc.
>>
File: 001fgo.jpg (360 KB, 1400x1347) Image search: [Google]
001fgo.jpg
360 KB, 1400x1347
I've tried for the life of me to think of how a Fate RPG would work but it never pans out.
>>
>>47258585
But how would you keep him from retreating?
The moment you focus firepower on his center is the moment Wenli would retreat to spare his forces.
>>
>>47258607
on my head is les about wining and more tire him into a strategic victory
but that just on my head
im sure some armchair here can pucnh trough that
>>
File: 1390208930695.png (269 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1390208930695.png
269 KB, 500x375
>>47258585
For some reason, Bittenfeld is the only person who actually manages to do breakthroughs somewhat effectively in the series. He also has the highest character killcount.
>>
>>47258600
The setting itself could probably work, but the holy grail war probably would be more team killy than a black crusade game
>>
File: dragon-ball-z.png (470 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
dragon-ball-z.png
470 KB, 640x360
>>47255117
>>
>>47255117
Exalted.
>>
>>47255117
Nasuverse, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Atelier series, Worm, Raildex, Bloodborne/Dark Souls, off the top of my head.
>>
>>47258642
i keep thinking he would die or something
he must have lady luck on speedial or something
>>
File: 1395188873393.jpg (61 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1395188873393.jpg
61 KB, 640x480
>>47258672
He's too moe to die.
>>
>>47258642
>highest character killcount.

Of his forces that's for sure, there are no veterans in the black lancers.
>>
>>47258600
>>47258646
There's a system based on Unisystem on a site called Heaven's Feel, I played in a Grail War with that system and it worked very well. Everyone knew it was PvP going in.
>>
>>47255815
STRfag vs DEXfag.gif
>>
>>47258691
It's been a while since I last saw the series but I'm fairly sure that he kills at least two characters that weren't just throwaway ones that appear for one battle.
>>
>>47258634
You would need to get close enough for boarding, but then he would simply focus fire on the advancing force (as you stated)
>>
(continued from >>47258352)
sorry for delay, real life happened

3. If both enemy flanks extend, trying to envelop, you simply retreat evenly, matching speed, with the same result as #1 except that the enemy middle is absent, allowing your front edge centre to increase fire on their flanks by a factor of 2 while still taking no damage, and they either let this situation persist or lose tempo in order to retreat their flanks or bring forward their middle to reset the field position. A variation is if for some reason they are not extending at full speed, you can use tempo to a rotating retreat, put one of the enemy flanks in the focal point of your front in a similar scenario to #2, with the main difference being that if the enemy fleet is haphazard in its position changes, the other flank will reach engage distance with your front before the enemy main force, which gives you additional time with the advantage and a strong opportunity to encourage disarray in their formation which they will have to spend time - and therefore fuel, ammo, and ships - in order to remedy and return to the neutral field position.

4. If they extend the main middle group in a spearhead to try and "punch through" your formation, they are committing the bulk of their forces at the place of your greatest destructive power: withdraw the middle of your front, creating a semicircle (2D) or more realistically a hollow hemisphere (3D) with the enemy spearhead at the epicenter, creating a "killing field" where your entire force can fire on their bunched up mass in the centre, while they can only focus fire on a very thin substrate (comparatively) of your force at a time, else disperse their fire ineffectively. From here, the battle is committed, and the field position cannot be reset without significant enemy losses; they can: a) retreat their main bulk, taking heavy casualties for almost no benefit;

(continued)
>>
>>47258903
Should probably point out the only reason this works is because Yang happens to have a really good supporting cast that let them retreat and reform as fast as the enemy can advance. Bittenfeld's approach works because he's way more aggressive than every other Admiral and will keep charging despite taking heavy losses, which is the only way to catch Yang's formations.
>>
File: gun control kills.jpg (617 KB, 962x4330) Image search: [Google]
gun control kills.jpg
617 KB, 962x4330
Threadly reminder that gun control killed Kircheis
>>
File: 1412012729966.jpg (38 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1412012729966.jpg
38 KB, 960x720
>>47258997
Well, technically it was Oberstein's fault but Oberstein can do no wrong so it was Kircheis' fault for getting shot.
>>
LOTR because no one wants to play as anyone but the order of the ring. and anything else other than that and the hobbit is lore so fucking dense its hard to make your own settings or events. and lets not forget half the race and class restrictions if you want to keep things balanced.
>>
>>47255434
I see what you're saying, but disagree heavily. You could easily say this same thing about any RPG's theme (ex "This is a Sword and Sworcery game" gives five people ten different ideas of what the game will be like), and playing in Star Wars gives everyone a much more thorough grasp of what the game's themes will be. The only problem I've had with playing in Star Wars (and I've done it with multiple groups) is when people get their panties in a twist about Jedi, which are kind of like D&D Paladins in how they tend to split people's opinions.
>>
>>47257372
don't forget about ds9
which would probably be boring for an RP setting
>>
>>47258663
Ah, you beat me to it. As much as I like the series...
>only one race is relevant
>fights usually focus on the lesser guys getting BTFO, until one guy (usually Goku) steps up and either gets reamed and gets forced into a training montage, or wipes the floor with the baddie who proceeds to [regenerate/enter final form] and performs step 1 anyway
>major focus on 1v1 combat
>straining and screaming is a requirement to reach full power
>>
>>47258341
>close enough for his stupidity field to affect your officers which suddenly lose competence

That's explain the Mont'ka book.
>>
Gundam. Any of it. You MIGHT pull off something set in either the SEED setting or Universal Century, but itd be touchy
>>
File: Bloodborne.jpg (346 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Bloodborne.jpg
346 KB, 1920x1080
I wish it weren't true.
>>
File: PCs Plan.jpg (155 KB, 640x720) Image search: [Google]
PCs Plan.jpg
155 KB, 640x720
>>47259316
I've played multiple games in the gundam universe and I can assure you that it works just fine.
>>
File: come at me bro.jpg (76 KB, 660x590) Image search: [Google]
come at me bro.jpg
76 KB, 660x590
continued from >>47258903

this resets to neutral field position, but all the other options branch out from the dome-spearhead field position and so get their own number.

5. If the enemy brings one or both flanks into their main body at the epicentre of your dome, they minimally increasing their attack potential while theoretically increasing the devastation in your killing field by 50-100%; from here all enemy development is either more and more heavily in your favour, resulting in a win for you, or resets to dome-spearhead.

6. If the enemy sends both flanks directly through the arc of your dome along a flat plane towards each other, trying to "slice" your dome in half between them, they gain limited targets on a thin substrate while your entire force fires on their massed centre; from here you have several interesting formations open to you, including a bisected sphere, but somewhat boringly the best move is probably to transition your dome into two pincers on a perpendicular plane through the epicentre of their main mody, and surge both halves of your pincer almost directly at their main body, but aiming to circle just outside it to the opposite side, ideally getting around the enemy main body and spreading out to join into a new dome, with their flankson the opposite side wheeling to repeat the maneuver.

7. If the enemy is still alert and cohesive they may surge all three groups toward one of your pincers, trying to peel it off from the other and envelop it, decimating it before the other pincer can regroup and try to spearhead through. If they fail to peel a pincer off, they will take heavy casualties from the other pincer; if they succeed, you are in bad position of trying to punch through with the un-enveloped pincer, which can have a variety of results that require individual responses beyond the scope of this outline.

(continued)
>>
>>
File: 1446324773647.jpg (514 KB, 1280x2880) Image search: [Google]
1446324773647.jpg
514 KB, 1280x2880
>>
File: so do it.jpg (59 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
so do it.jpg
59 KB, 640x480
>>47259436
General advantages of the half-sphere formation:
- allows for better rotational positioning than rectangles without requiring significant regroup efforts
- encourages an enemy deep strike to your centre, while transitioning smoothly into the countering hemispere or dome formation
- swarm/blob organisation makes it difficult for the enemy to easily gauge where on your front, if anywhere, your forces are concentrated, and so makes it difficult for the enemy to formulate attack or defense plans resulting from such knowledge
- as ships on your front take damage or you wish to re-position your commanders, it is efficient for any group on said front to rotate with a reserve group in the "bowl" of the hemisphere and then potentially back out again, anywhere on the front; this is important because Yang simply doesn't have Reinhardt's pure ship numbers in this battle, and a rectangle formation would be less able to flexibly reinforce and shuffle commanders on so large a front, resulting in both reduced formation flexibility and a smaller, more easily enveloped front

I think that about covers the basics. I don't remember enough about their field limits, terrain features, or fortification/reinforcement line considerations.
>>
>>47257506
>Space Prussia is glorious and perfect
>space NATO is disgustingly corrupt
>crafty space Jews manipulating things from behind the scenes
I feel like /pol/ wrote this anime, and I'm okay with that.
>>
>>47259639
You did a good job.
>>
>>
>>47255117
So, out of all the animes that have been getting live action movies lately, why has LoGH been skipped over? Hollywood's busy with making remakes of remakes, while there's a glorious epic tale with lots of flashy sci-fi violence just waiting for an adaptation.

Is it that the general pro-dictatorship theme is too controversial?
>>
>>47255434
Sounds like you've had some subpar groups.
>>
>>47258665
/thread
>>
>>47259719
>a glorious epic tale with lots of flashy sci-fi violence just waiting for an adaptation.

Sci-fi generaly sells like shit. The only exception is star wars and star trek are only funded on name alone beyond that sci-fi movies are kinda skiped over though this trend might be reversing.
>>
>>47259749
No, it's a shit setting too.
>>
>>47259604
>NG+
>>
>>47259780
Yeah, you're right desu.

Now, /thread
>>
File: Dragonballs in the Vineyard.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Dragonballs in the Vineyard.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47259224
>>
>>47259764
Also, a named cast of literally hundreds that NEED to be cast for type and have a fairly high acting ability for tens of them, a high need for quality set pieces, space battles, numerous distinct interiors, numerous city settings, indoors and outdoors, hand to hand fighting... it goes on almost forever. And none of it can look shitty or have second rate effects, because the whole charm of LoGH is that it takes place in a more "realistic" world that reflects real life considerations that don't often make it into epic space operas. That, and it's so well loved and so finely tuned, that fucking up any one thing can sour the whole symphony of intertwining nostalgia, admiration, and loss.

Can you imagine the loss of tenor if Trunicht isn't a truly detestable fucker? If Mashengo is a light-skinned bony short guy? If Julian isn't brave, fresh, and cutely innocent? If Oberstein doesn't hit that perfect note of detestable and pitiable? If Reuenthal isn't so goddamn suave and handsome that floor tiles across the face of the planet shatter as panties plummet into them, shot by gushing, blushing adulation? If Schönkopf doesn't have hair on his chest and arms? If Kircheis doesn't make you trust and admire him on a fundamental level? It goes forever; I haven't even menioned Yang or Reinhardt.

It's too well loved, too old, too niche, too expensive and expansive (110 episodes) to make, and too easy to fuck up (from pretty much any angle).
>>
File: Crossing_the_T.png (12 KB, 400x313) Image search: [Google]
Crossing_the_T.png
12 KB, 400x313
>>47259639
It would be far better to put your ships into a spherical shell. Its like a crossed T but in space and in 3 dimensions. Assuming of course that the ships fire broadsides (best sides)
>>
>>47260185
In what way would it be better? How would you orient your formation with regard to the enemy formation? You be Yang and I'll be the Kaiser, and we'll see if we can't figure out which is better and why.
>>
>>47260093
>too old, too niche, too expensive and expansive to make, and too easy to fuck up (from pretty much any angle).

I would have said the same thing about Wheel of Time, but those faggots are trying to adapt it for TV anyway.
>>
>>47259643
>space prussia
>beautiful and perfect

Watch the show.
>>
>>47260185
In LOGH spinal mounted weapons predominate, probably due to the danger presented with presenting the sides of your ship (larger target). Formations also depend on ships facing forward or backward, since turning is relatively slow.
>>
>>47260093
>I haven't even mentioned Yang or Reinhardt.
I feel like Yang wouldn't be that hard to get right, but Reinhard? That's going to be a tough one.

The idea of a young super-serious military prodigy works better in print or 2d than in live action. I mean, I get the Alexander the Great reference, but finding an actor in his early 20s who looks the part but has the gravitas to be believable in a role like that would be a nightmare. By definition, you're going to be looking at someone with very little prior acting experience, but he'd need to have the screen presence of fucking Patrick Stewart to not seem ridiculous.
>>
>>47259719
Accurate adaptation of LoGH is like accurate Starship Troopers. Hollywood inherently hates the ideas presented.
>>
>>47259316
This how you play it
>>
>>47260494
Someone needs to get Trump to finance it.

Surely a movie focusing on the exploits of a brilliant golden-haired badass who sweeps away the corrupt establishment to become dictator would have serious propaganda value for the Donald.
>>
>>47260664
People should be watching American anime not foreign imported Anime that steals hard-working animators' jobs.
>>
>>47260690
I would, if someone would just make anime great again...
>>
>>47260711
TMS
>>
>>47259108
DS9 has an RPG. You can play as scummy types on the fringe, stealing, smuggling, etc.
>>
>>47260360
The difference is, anyone of a type to give a shit about LoGH has more respect for it than that, I hope. Plus, fantasy is on a much stronger swell than sci-fi at the moment.

WoT fans are half dipshits and half people who spend their time being embarrassed that they "used to like" something so representative of "all that juvenile shit that I've outgrown now, thank god" and otherwise shitting on it all day.
>>
>>47260185
>>47260275
Please respond. I sincerely want to learn from you.
>>
>>47260494
>Reinhard is turned into a girl, played by Jennifer Lawrence
>the relationship between Reinhard, Kircheis, and Oberstein is re imagined as a YA-novel style love triangle
Hollywood, everyone.
>>
File: USS_Iowa.jpg (2 MB, 2354x3000) Image search: [Google]
USS_Iowa.jpg
2 MB, 2354x3000
>>47260919
The entire premise of it is that by having your ships perpendicular to theirs, you can fire all your guns, while the opposing ships can only fire those facing forward. By being able to bring to bear more firepower per ship than the opposing force you have a distinct advantage. The semi spherical shell is towards the same advantage, allowing all your ships to fire without danger of striking their comrades.

Of course this manouver is extremely difficult to actually achieve, as anyone who notices it happening to them would react and attempt to do the same, forming a line of battle. The only time I know that it happened was the Battle of Jutland in WW1, where the Brits used fog and mist to form up outside of the German's line of sight. When the Germans came out of the mist they saw the line of battle on the horizon and lost quite a few boats. Of course they then went and reversed course back into the mist so . . .
>>
>>47261271
I know what crossing the T is, I was wondering how this would apply to 3-dimensional space combat... but on thinking about it further I realize that you are essentially referring to a smaller, shallower version of my hollow hemisphere formation, which the hemisphere formation leads to quite nicely. In any case, you can't just start in that formation, because it gives the enemy the ability to engage it on their own terms instead of more or less forcing the entire scenario listed:
>>47258352
>>47258903
>>47259639

Much like crossing the T isn't the formation you set out in (a single nose-tail column), but the formation you end up in, the hemisphere is the starting formation for the hollow hemisphere. Essentially, we agree though!
>>
>>47261476
You forgot >>47259436. Also, >>47260185 clearly didn't even read your posts, and doesn't understand the tactic he linked. Good job on your posts though, good to see someone actually giving a shit.
>>
>>47258352
>1. If the whole enemy force comes towards you: you retreat at the same speed

That's the thing, those ships don't move anywhere near as fast backwards as forwards.
>>
>>47258691
Bittenfeld killed Fischer who made Yang's fleet move like it did and fucking Merkatz. No other imperial admiral killed any people from Yang's fleet.
>>
File: 1389195714779.png (783 KB, 1280x775) Image search: [Google]
1389195714779.png
783 KB, 1280x775
>>47255117
Dark Souls, pretty much. It's all so esoteric and open to interpretation that there essentially is no setting. There's a whole bunch of metaphor wrapped in layers of story and lore, but no actual setting.
>>
>>47258600
There's a fanmade RPG. The Holy Grail War might be difficult to work with but something more like Kara no Kyoukai might be great.
>>
>>47262482
Yeah the players would have to be okay with things like
>not being set in an established country
>NPC interaction being sparse and brief
>not much goofing around

Dark Souls-inspired would be more workable than strictly Dark Souls.
>>
File: 1462827384649.png (36 KB, 876x928) Image search: [Google]
1462827384649.png
36 KB, 876x928
>>47257418
>See that totally defendable hill that gives you total superiority over the battlefield?
>Make the enemy think you're there
>Except you're not
>You win!
>>
>>47259764
Sci-fi sells like hot cakes lately when there's retardation and EXPLOSIONS EVERYWHERE.
LOGH has plenty of the latter, but they're not the focus and it's certainly not the sort of mindless entertainment pander to the ADHD-addled bumfucks from horseshit flyover states.
>>
>>47260457
>I feel like Yang wouldn't be that hard to get right
John Cho. Boom. Done with Yang.
Reinhard? Yeah. That's a bit tougher. Few years ago, I would have said just slap a blond wig on Zac Efron but he's probably too old now.
>>
>>47259643
>>Space Prussia is glorious and perfect
Literally only thing that's perfect about it is Reinhard and his HR genius, outside of it it's abusive, decadent and rotten system.
>>
>>47258669
Worm would be as good as any superhero setting if you don't set the campaign anywhere near canon. Like Europe in the 2000s or something.
>>
>>47258669
Why would Atelier or Raildex not work?
>>
>>47255117
No Jojos?
I mean admittedly, freeform it'd be Great but try to quantify it and it becomes total ass.
>>
>>47263219

Exactly.

The jojoverse is too abstract to translate into a tabletop setting.
>>
>>47258600
Maid RPG.
I'm not even joking.
>>
File: flotprev.png (398 KB, 1011x834) Image search: [Google]
flotprev.png
398 KB, 1011x834
Reading this thread has been quite the ride, since I, like Bittenfeld, blundered straight into almost everything mentioned, even knowing it was a trap. I have in fact:

- Made and run my own LoGH inspired RPG multiples times. Pic related is the char progression chart for fleet combat (Political and Strategic level maneuvering still use the stat progression from the tactic web and give you abilities to purchase from a separate list when you buy tactics/formations/technologies on the web, capship advancement gets you gadgets) to give some idea of the level of depth.

- Made and run my own simulationist Attack on Titan RPG (Which I named E.O.T.E.N.A.S. just to be make sure it was plausibly not some faggy attempt to replicate the series characters exactly)

- Played in multiple campaigns of a friend's Dark Souls inspired RPG.

All were excellent.

I have, lying around, an unfinished attempt at making a fiat based resolution system for a holy grail war that I'd tack onto some kind of Mage-like hackjob for a Kara no Kyoukai styled early arc.

I also, AAAAAGES back,
>>
>>47263219
>>47263285
The only way I see it working is to play a superhero RPG, but tie the powers to Stands instead of the people.
>>
>>47263428
Ah man I think I was in the middle of changing around stuff in the tac web and adding new material so it has a few more holes than it previously did (I never fully filled it out though).

Yeah the AAAAAAGES back thing was that I made a Persona RPG hack for WoD which I never posted anywhere either. In general I don't post my systems, its too much pressure to format them so they're easy for others to understand in entirety.
>>
File: 1437518397396.png (100 KB, 378x278) Image search: [Google]
1437518397396.png
100 KB, 378x278
>>47263350
>>
>>47262760
I would certainly love a campaign as everyone was hallowing before the obvious events of the game. The events of everyone going mad that led to these lovely locations to all go to hell.
>>
>>47255117
Aquanox
>>
>>47257447
>Iserlohn station
It always confuses the fuck out of me when I see German names in Chinese cartoons.
>>
File: Vivec.jpg (219 KB, 494x622) Image search: [Google]
Vivec.jpg
219 KB, 494x622
In theory, and in a few rare occasions, elder scrolls makes for an amazing campaign setting.

In practice, you usually get a group full of n'wahs who just want to play skyrim: the RPG.
>>
>>47263550
What was that unpronouncable Aztec name of the FPA fleet ship?
>>
>>47263573
The Tlahuixcalpantecuhtli.
>>
>>47263573
I dunno man, Huitzilopochtli or something?
That's not unpronounceable, I got it almost right on the fifteenth try.
>>
>>47263587
Do you reckon anyone below the rank of Lieutenant just calls it "the [suitable expletive] aztec ship"?

Actually, isn't it a flagship for one of the fleets?
"[Number] fleet's flag" is probably what it gets called unless someone is being really formal
>>
>>47261264
So bodyswap Reinhard with Annerose and give Oberstein a sex drive?
>>
File: flagship tlahuizcalpantecuhtli.jpg (295 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
flagship tlahuizcalpantecuhtli.jpg
295 KB, 640x480
>>47263573

The one and only.
>>
>>47264911
I bet it got destroyed because it got damaged a bit and the operator calling for help couldn't pronounce its name right and so the ship was slowly destroyed by internal fires.
>>
>>47257372
Who would ever play as ensigns for any other purpose than a joke, though? There's a bunch of systems, and none of them assume that you're going to play a lower decks crew.

I mean, the entire complaint is that the game isn't fun when you're not the main characters. Well, yeah. But that has nothing to do with setting.

The real problem with a Star Trek RPG is that everyone has to be onboard with the setting. If people aren't into Star Trek, they can't really play. Especially if you're playing Starfleet, because they come with a specific set of ideals and background that simply requires familiarity.

>>47259108
Are you kidding me? DS9 would be the absolute best setting for a Star Trek RPG. It opens the playing field for non-Starfleet characters, non-Federation races, and allows you to build off a setting with continuity rather than going for TNG-esque status quo.
>>
File: Mirror Sulu in his element.png (2 MB, 1260x1249) Image search: [Google]
Mirror Sulu in his element.png
2 MB, 1260x1249
>>47264985
What if you played a Mirror universe campaign?
>>
>>47263200
Atelier wouldn't work because there is not a single TTRPG that does crafting well, and Raildex wouldn't work for pretty much the same reasons as the Nasuverse and Worm wouldn't - vastly different power levels and everyone has nearly totally unique abilities.
>>
>>47256751
Because zephyr/seffle particles are invisible and have no smell.
You can be absolutely certain there is particles in air only when someone pulls the trigger or you see the activated particle generator.

So, do you want to be the battalion canary bird and fire your beam pistol while the rest of us stay way back here behind this blastshield and watch you.
>>
>>47265009
Should be perfect, except that half the players bite the dust before the end of the first session.
>>
>>47265086
So what?
Half the team just rolls new characters and they get acquainted in the next cantina.
>>
>>47265009
Pffft. Mirror Sulu, nothing.

That's regular Sulu, too!
>>
File: pimp life.jpg (152 KB, 700x530) Image search: [Google]
pimp life.jpg
152 KB, 700x530
>>47265169
And regular McCoy, regular Kirk, regular Chekov...
>>
>>47259639
What should I look for if I want to learn tactics like these? They seem really interesting.
>>
>>47265372
Read Carl Von Clausewitz and Napoleonic war era land battle reports.
>>
File: aniki sama.png (226 KB, 468x345) Image search: [Google]
aniki sama.png
226 KB, 468x345
>>47258600
>good settin
>fate
Memes are the only good thing, that came out of that clusterfuck.
>>
File: mgnq_huge_ thread_200.png (699 KB, 1004x1852) Image search: [Google]
mgnq_huge_ thread_200.png
699 KB, 1004x1852
>>47265534
What if my favourite settings are meme-filled clusterfucks?
>>
>>47265577
Is literally every single character a little girl or a cat?
>>
>>47265577
What would a 4chan rpg be like?
Would your character class be decided by your patron board?
What sorta bonuses would different boards give?
>>
>>47265602
>bonuses
You mean penalties.
>>
>>47265621
I meant both.
>>
File: 4chan_awa_2013_final_final.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
4chan_awa_2013_final_final.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>47265594
Of course not. Some of them are robots.

>>47265602
An RPG about roleplaying anons, or a fantasy/scifi setting only tangentially related to specific boards and their cultures?
>>
>>47265673
An RPG set in a mysterious world of 4chan where its numerous tribes live, occasionally at war and occasionally at peace with eachother.

The story begins with a group of anons from different boards embarking on a quest outside 4chan to discover strange and shitty new sites and troll the ever lowing shit out of them.
>>
>>47265504
>land battles
But aren't these strategies naval?
>>
>>47265749
The joke about LoGH is that it's basically Prussian land warfare in space, which is why you have big blocks of ships firing at each other rather than naval tactics. Bittenfeld is essentially the stereotypical hotheaded cavalry commander, it's just that he has space ships instead of horses.
>>
As much as I'd like to play in it Smash Bros
>>
File: 1455661304230.jpg (59 KB, 421x500) Image search: [Google]
1455661304230.jpg
59 KB, 421x500
>>47263507
I guess this is what I've ended up doing in my own campaign.

A solitary adventure of stillness punctuated with terror and dying a lot would be equally nightmarish to run (though maybe a fun experiment in TTRPGs)
>>
>>47263428
Well upload them you amazing fagmaster.
>>
>>47265770
Oh, ok. Thanks for the information, as I haven't watched LoGH yet.
>>
>>47265534
Honestly, if Nasu had kept the powerlevel shit at bay it would have been a neat setting
>>
>>47265794
You really ought to.

The animation isn't as flashy as more modern stuff, but it has a much more realistic and literary style than most anime.
>>
>>47266077
It looks better than early Initial D, and that was fine. I think i'll manage.
>>
File: Legend of galactic heroes guide.jpg (382 KB, 794x2560) Image search: [Google]
Legend of galactic heroes guide.jpg
382 KB, 794x2560
>>47265794
You should.
Let me help you out.
>>
>>47266332
Thanks for the help.
>>
>>47266332
It's worth noting that it's on Youtube now as well.
>>
>>47263569
You need to get yourself some better TES lorefags as players, it's really just generish fantasy with neato eastern religion ideas
>>
>>47266332
Few things you should know.
That list is a bit outdated, so here's updated info.
>All of the series are translated and can be found on youtube, various streaming sites and as torrents.
>First three books are getting translated to English with the first one already out, second one coming this summer and third one coming closer to christmas.
>>
>>47262482
>Dark Souls, pretty much.

The players are invaders that join the same covenant. Together, they invade others' worlds, see new and varied places, and smack down enemy phantoms, hosts, casuls, and That Guy for equipping the wrong covenant when invading.
>>
Hmm. Maybe... Setting of 'The history of Hammerfight'? Mid-eastern themes, cool story (too bad it only has 2 endings), great feelings when you slam that fucka with a hammer...
>>
>>47259719

whait for logh to be ruined forever by the next shonen anime remake...

like arslan senki
>>
>>47265577
Daniel Kim is so fucking based...has he updated his page recently?
>>
>>47255117
Dune, I agree with>>47256540
Dune is an amazing setting, but the Duneiverse is not good for gaming.
>>
>>47266332
>Most of the OVA is on /rs/ at the time of this writing
Wow, that takes me back.
>>
>>47266827
Well, the license is currently owned by a studio that pretty much only does English-language dubs of existing anime, so I'd say we're much more likely to get the exact same series re-released with a new audio track than get a true remake.

The only thing I'd really worry about is that they might edit it down for length and end up losing some of the depth of the original.
>>
>>47264950
It did get destroyed in the end, but that's because there was one intelligent imperial admiral at the 2nd battle of Tiamat
>>
>>47255117
Isn't this just an epic-scale Traveller campaign?
>>
>>47263148
Exactly. What will happen after Reinhard passes is a big fear because even a rotten democracy doesn't get as shitty as a dictatorship with someone awful at the helm. In the end, Great Men can't solve history.
>>
>>47265018
Vastly different powerlevels is a concern, but I don't think everyone has totally unique abilities in Raildex. There are two teleporters, for example.
>>
>>47267776
In theory at least, in practice your game will likely turn into Galaxy Angels with varying degrees of cute girls.

>>47266393
>Streaming
I lack an image that properly displays my disgust for this plebeian. Especially since proper BD encodes are out and look fantastic. And if space is a problem, you can always download one episode at a time.

Seriously nigga, don't do that to yourself.
>>
>>47263569
>In theory, and in a few rare occasions, elder scrolls makes for an amazing campaign setting.

I've never seen this. It's a poorly conceived setting that seems like a placeholder in a video game that would have been forgotten long ago were it not for the video game series, a series that became popular due to completely unrelated facets.
>>
>>47255117
So this would be a setting where there are no women, or exactly 5 women?
>>
File: image.jpg (96 KB, 408x391) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96 KB, 408x391
>>
Ergo Proxy
>>
File: 2016_feb_v3.png (1 MB, 1920x590) Image search: [Google]
2016_feb_v3.png
1 MB, 1920x590
>>47267190
Not in a few weeks, but it's not the complete halt pre-Metal Fist. Just slower due to his full time job.
>>
>>47269289
Yeah, non-violence would be a little hard. Maybe set it during the Poseidonian Era?
>>
>>47269445
Nah, just enjoy it go what Otis. It's incompatible.

..........unless you want to play as predators from the rainy basin overthrowing dinotopia and chandara
>>
>>47255117
Planescape.
>>47269445
>Yeah, non-violence would be a little hard.
Unless you play as a small cell of anti-Dino illegalists.

Or t-rex sympathising anarchists.
>>
>>47269474
For what it is*
>>
>>47269445

Meh, there are plenty of non-violent games out there.
>>
File: time to relax.jpg (107 KB, 519x763) Image search: [Google]
time to relax.jpg
107 KB, 519x763
>>47265372
>>47265504
>>47265749
>>47265770
The funny thing about this exchange is that I wrote the chain of posts starting with >>47258352 writing it from a 3D, space-oriented view that purposefully ignored land and naval dogma that simply would not apply to a space battle.

Though I do make a nod to the underlying Prussian land aesthetic and the naval ship aesthetic, in that since we don't know for sure a lot of details about ship and weapon capabilities, when in doubt I assume a parallel to land troops.

For example, I accept that the ships probably cannot turn very quickly, because their shape evokes naval battleships and they (excluding the small, nimble fighters which project force in a cloud but cannot be used as artillery) are not shown to do tight tuns in the anime. But, in land warfare retreating is about as quick as advancing, so I do not assume that the ships move much more quickly forwards than backwards, unlike >>47262329 says. If they mentioned something to that effect in the anime itself, of course that takes precedent and invalidates some of my analysis, but can't recall if they do that.

>>47265770 is close, but really LoGH is not about the land tactics of era Prussia, but the kind of archetypal commander personalities involved with that era and the kind of hero-worship, comraderie and literary tropes that developed around such people and their behaviour, which was then passed down through history in the various fictions and cultural trappings the came followed.

>>47262798
This guy gets it!
>>
>>47265348
That look on Takei's face is all: Pity I'm gay.
>>
>>47257418
>All brilliant, complex military strategies or tactics can be boiled down to a ridiculously simple-sounding
Yes. That's the core. And then comes the insanely complicated, indelible and difficult process of actually implementing that simple-sounding idea in reality, which is where the actual mastery comes into play.
>>
>>47259360
BB could totally work. You'd just have to set it in the past. First contact with the Great Ones/fishing village incident/ first outbreak of the beast plague and purging old Yharnam would make for fun times for a group of hunters
>>
>>47269946
Yes. Execution is king, and adaptability makes for longevity. A good plan just tries to avoid shooting yourself in the head from the very start.
>>
>>47269946
Oh by the way I wasn't poking fun at military strategy, just explaining how something powerful and useful can sound foolishly basic if you don't understand how to use it.
>>
>>47255117
Steven Universe and Homestuck. They've both been tried and they just don't work,
>>
>>47270699
I'd agree HS is a clusterfuck, but SU would be totally doable if you mess around with it a bit. Remove Steven, and just have it be about a group of magical lesbian space warrior rocks trying to fit in with humanity while fighting the monster of the week. The setting isn't that fleshed out yet, but I mean there's enough there to build from
>>
>>47269946
And logistics. Don't forget the logistics. Sincerely, your local supply officer.
>>
>>47271031
All strategies worth a damn include logistics.
>>
File: Harry Potter Covers.jpg (3 MB, 1920x8914) Image search: [Google]
Harry Potter Covers.jpg
3 MB, 1920x8914
Unless you can convince everyone to play as ordinary kids using Monsterhearts. No Voldemort or monsters, not even leaving the castle except to go to Hogsmeade, just the daily grind of schooling
>>
File: zz.jpg (60 KB, 728x409) Image search: [Google]
zz.jpg
60 KB, 728x409
>>47255117
Real life. Believe me, I've tried
>>
>>47272540
Iran sounds like a much better setting for roleplaying than, you know, actually living there.
>>
>>47272540
>real life
>a good setting
>>
>>47272540
>>47272677
You guys are dumbos.
>>
>>47260185
This is space you should have full three dimensional movement.
You may have one direction that is faster, but you could totally enter combat sideways if it was the better side to fight with.
That is why most fictional space ships are made with heavy frontal cannons rather then turreted front and rear cannons like modern ships.
>>
>>47272791
>turreted rear cannons
>modern
we are past that for quite some time now, but in essence you are right, yeah
>>
>>47271647
I always thought a Gumshoe hack would work best for Harry Potter.

Also the first line of American cover are awful, he's looks the same age in them all.
>>
File: DH-Japan-2.jpg (935 KB, 1984x1488) Image search: [Google]
DH-Japan-2.jpg
935 KB, 1984x1488
>>47273438
I really like the Japanese covers (what was the publisher thinking?), and the abstract ones third from the bottom.
>>
>>47259360
>>47262482
What is with you morons that say you can't set a game in ANY souls game? They're literally just dungeon crawls, the easiest game to make and to play.
>>
>>47271647
Line 11's covers are pretty metal.
>>
>>47263428
Can you explain your system for LoGH more, anon ? Very interested here.
>>
>>47265372
Do they actually teach 3D space tactics at any military academies?
>>
File: borg cubes.jpg (171 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
borg cubes.jpg
171 KB, 1024x768
>>47257372
One time i played in a Star Trek play by post game where every player controlled a ship and its entire crew. Pretty sure you could use a similar format for playing any other game where the players operating as a warship squadron would make sense, such as a major war. In this particular case the premise was that several decades after the Dominion War the Borg show up with an armada numbering in the thousands of ships and over the next few years proceed to lay waste to the the Alpha Quadrant powers. By the time the game takes place, only the Cardassian Union still stands, with the battered remnants of its and everyone else's fleets slowly gathering around Bajor for a desperate but no doubt futile last stand. The players ship's all found each other on the edge of the Badlands, just inside the forward fringes of the Borg advance, and formed an impromptu battle squadron for the sake of surviving long enough to get to Bajor.

It was an interesting take, since for the most part Star Trek is a fairly optimistic and hopeful setting, and the GM went and set it all on fire, leaving us with a burnt-out wasteland choking under the weight of Borg. It almost Mad Max feel to it, since everyone's ships were the hardened survivors of several years of brutal apocalyptic warfare, and so the ships were battered and jury-rigged all to hell. We had a Sovereign with a railgun mounted on the saucer, a science vessel 'ghost ship' whose crew were all holograms, an Excelsior rigged out with heavy tractor beams and explosives, a D'deridex class salvaged by pirates with heavy duty mining lasers strapped to it, a Frankenstein's monster of a battlecruiser cobbled together out of Klingon and Romulan ship parts, a Defiant with a spinal-mounted railgun, a Valdore with a partly Borg-assimilated engineering section, and few other ships with an amusing assortment of crew and weapons.
>>
>>47274704
For 3D space? We don't officially have any weapons for space so doubtful.
>>
>>47274787
It's not like West Point and others don't teach purely theoretical or speculative courses. Why not space?
>>
File: 1374786339859.jpg (141 KB, 640x485) Image search: [Google]
1374786339859.jpg
141 KB, 640x485
>>47263350
>>47263449
>One player is the Master, as a master
>They get three command spells as Power Sources
>Another players as the Servant, as a maid or butler
>Use the items and maid abilities as patterns for things like noble phantasms and special abilities
>Give the master a limited pool of Favor to work as mana that replenishes over time
The system is narrativist enough to work. The way the ability levels scale supports wildly disparate power levels in a series of clashes. The master-maid dynamic already works out, and modeling the command spells as power sources lets them accomplish the impossible.
>>
>>47270699
Honestly, a reworked Maid might work for SU. A good deal of the show is basically about the gems and their interactions with Steven
>>
>>47274514
Alright so, it DOES operate at a level of abstraction.

An individual PC's fleet element (For lore purposes, the party is a battlegroup, their own ships are a fleet element, so you get to be "The 34th Bright Lancers" or whatever bullshit) occupies a single space, barring the use of one specific ability that lets you split up in such a way that you actually count as two separate fleets for purposes of preventing a breakthrough or flanking. Said ability is something must take at chargen, otherwise you can only buy into it fairly late game, its separate to the tactic web. Basically there are starting advantages and disadvantages.

Within your own single place on the game board, the positioning of your fleet comprises:
- What Technologies you have active this turn.
- What Formation you have activated this turn.
- What Tactics you are triggering this turn.

These all have various tricks and bonuses and penalties that they apply to what your fleet does in a given turn. Abilities that lie further towards the outside of the tactic web are SUPPOSED to be more powerful, but more easily countered if people see them coming. This is only true for about 70% of abilities at the moment.

You also have your fleets actual composition which will be a number of Frigates, Destroyers, or Carriers, and if you are tech focused, probably Experimental Artillery or Meteoric Cabers as well. These all have differing core capacities in their HP, damage dealt, and effective range. Generally speaking shorter max range ships are weaker in all regards but more cost efficient, leading to what I've been told by group minmaxers is a core duality of Frigate Rush vs. Destroyer Kiting, and every single strategy in the game being built off of those in some way, and furthermore representing some way of conquering the opposite strategy.
>>
>>47274704
>>47274787

Submarine warfare would be closest is my guess.
>>
>>47275883
Your core stats as an Admiral are:

Leadership: Social Offense stat in politics. In fleet combat it increases the number of ships you can deploy faster than other stats do. Its associated abilities trend towards both devastating suicide attacks, and sowing confusion in enemy fleets (Making them execute the wrong tactics for instance, altering the distance they move AFTER they decide where to move etc.).

Intellect: Personal offense stat in politics. In fleet combat, determines how many different tactics you can execute in a given turn. Its associated abilities trend towards offensive abilities that punish overconfidence by attacking players, dealing heavy damage against people who bullrush you or outnumber you. But not actually saving you from the consequences.

Organisation: Social Defense stat in Politics. In fleet combat, determines how much damage each unit of ships comprising your fleet can take before they "dissolve" (ships have too many personnel devoted to damage control, squads too far out of alignment and attitude control to be effective, but not actually destroyed). As a result high organisation is a must to effectively leverage the toughness of heavier ships like destroyers. Organisation abilities tend to revolve around automatically responding to certain enemy actions, and having precise control over your offense/defense balance.

Resolve is the personal defense stat in politics, and determines your resistance to some of the more devastating feints that others can pull on you using their abilities in fleet combat. Resolve abilities revolve around making lighter ship attacks useless against your fleet, and reforming dissolved ships efficiently and rapidly.
Technology is not really a stat as such, but in politics provides rerolls you can use based on science ministry intervention. In fleet combat, technology upgrades the potency of your flagship, which is normally pathetic. Abilities are techs, which scale off points you would buy ships with.
>>
>>47276153
Submarine or planes yeah, it is still missing the three dimensional movement that space allows but it is as close as you can get without going into orbit or guessing.
>>
>>47276192
The map for fleet combat is balanced for either hex grids, or a 3D array of cubes. I've never managed to implement the latter but maintain it would work with no modification.

In a given turn, and I should mention this is simultaneous for everyone:
- SELECTION PHASE: Everyone looks at the board state and decides what to do this turn. Possibly over tea and brandy. Certain abilities exempt you from needing to decide everything you do in this phase but normally everything but the deployment of fighters needs to be submitted now. Abilities the user needs to roll to activate are done now.
- FIGHTERS ENTER AND LEAVE HANGARS.
- FLEETS ASSUME FORMATIONS
- TACTICS ENTER PLAY: Probably tied with the actual turn resolution for most complicated phase. This basically decides what the rules of the game are going to be this turn since so many tactics alter how things are resolved significantly. Tactics/Techs which explicitly effect other tactics/Techs resolve simultaneously first, followed by tactics/Techs which incidentally effect other tactics/Techs, followed by tactics which just do their own thing.
- FLEETS EXECUTE MOVEMENT: Everyone has written down their direction and magnitude of movement beforehand, but plenty of tactics or techs will change this. Everyone simultaneously moves 1 hex at a time through their planned movement. Fleet on fleet collisions have CONSEQUENCES. Obvious implications of this are yes, you can totally block off the escape of a faster fleet, or intercept a blitz meant for your rear line.
- ATTACKS RESOLVE: It's best for you if you target the people you meant to fire at at the beginning of the turn, because your tactics might be keyed to them, but you can target whoever you want if the ranges are right. The actual consequences of ship dissolution and destruction don't take effect until after everyone has attacked everyone else. When you assign damage, you decide where half your damage goes and the opponent decides where the other half goes.
>>
>>47276153
>>47276199
Its kinda funny that I read the Halo novels like a decade ago and thought the space combat to be the greatest depiction ever. About a year ago I read a Tom Clancy novel(Red Storm I think) with sub warfare and have the biggest mindblown revelation for the source of the Halo combat.
>>
>>47276401
Limited overkill is possible in attacking (IE you can assign resolved dice to ships until it is destroyed. Stopping short may allow you to dissolve and reform the ship with full health with the right build, but will lose you more combat effectiveness in the short term). Certain abilities bypass pretty much any given aspect of this I just mentioned.
- RESOLUTION PHASE: Destruction, dissolution occurs for the relevant ship units. If your fleet has 3 or fewer intact units at the end of this, then whether you want to or not, your flagship will enter play next turn. Several tactics proc off of this, not to mention if you've maxed out technology your flagship may be able to solo the enemy. The only tactic which allows you to deploy your flagship prior to this is a relatively high level resolve tactic.
>>
>>47274514
There's also the politics phase which is a very structured non-combat essentially, but I'll only bother getting into that if you're still around. The long and short is you have a library worth of fucking politics abilities that you shit onto the field all the time, except for one or two of them that you never mention you have the ability to do because the party will feel threatened that you have them. The main incentive of the politic game is increasing your 'Standing', which I just realised the starting value for is never mentioned in the current rules text. It starts at 10, or as high as 19 / low as 4 depending on starting advantages. Changes around 2 to 3 up or down for every fleet battle (though a truly ridiculous conflict could result in around 12 up). Political actions provide a means to sabotage an admiral in their next fleet battle, gamble with standing, or suck off some old dude for points. Past experience suggests the latter is at least 50% likely to happen. Especially if someone starts with the low standing disadvantage, as hitting standing 0 literally results in a state sponsored execution. A fucking peasant has standing 1. A value of between 70 to 120 generally makes you the motherfucking king of space, depending on who else is around. You can also make assassination attempts but this really is a move for the desperate only. I have never seen one end well.

High standing fuels a couple of political abilities that can pull your ass out of the fire, and also adds to the points you have to play with when putting your fleet together.
>>
>>47274747
Now that I actually bother to read this, this sounds incredible. Did it go anywhere or just collapse?
>>
>>47263052
>ADHD-addled bumfucks from horseshit flyover states.

Oh yes because I forgot that people from California and New York have so much more refined taste hahaha

Such an unwarranted and undeserved superiority complex
>>
>>47275883
Dude, I wanted to run a RPG about LoGH since I watched it, and your systems seems to be a genius one.
>>
>>47276728
I still am. And want to thank you a lot.
>>
>>47268734
>There are two teleporters, for example.
Yes but they have different methods for doing so. The thing about Raildex/Nasuverse is that it's basically just MtAs, reality is consensual and the way espers get powers is by taking drugs and brainwashing lessons to convince them that they have the powers to begin with.
>>
File: 1458311198709.gif (675 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1458311198709.gif
675 KB, 480x270
>>47276728
You mentionned a current rules text ; bother to put it into a pastebin please ?
>>
Given the amount of support, I suppose I may as well post a link. Keep in mind I haven't actually touched the thing in about 2 years and it was never really meant to be awfully legible in itself (IE relying very much on me to clarify how shit works where it isn't clear in text), but if you guys want to take inspiration from it and run your own stuff, or I dunno, turn it into some kind of Adeptus Evangelion bullshit, then that works. For a long time I had pretty strong thoughts of trying to finish it off and shill it on DTRPG, but given the level of activity I've managed with it the odds of that transpiring at this point are pretty low.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ktML09YmD7JdEghLtP1w8C1KUVCbPZWEpcNsa5qlDN0/edit?usp=sharing
>>
File: flotmapturn4.png (80 KB, 602x408) Image search: [Google]
flotmapturn4.png
80 KB, 602x408
If you bother to read through and actually comprehend it, please do give some feedback. I've written every line in it personally and only run it for IRCfriends and IRLfriends so its quite possible I have a few blindspots. Not to mention I'm pretty nervous since this is the first time I've shared any of the 4 or 5 systems I've built from the ground up to /tg/ in all my years here. It's LDT-A from Adeptus Evangelion development if anyone wants any personal identifiers.

Image is the map from a very old test-run I had over IRC with the AdEva devs so long ago.
>>
>>47277481
You should make your own thread. LoGH has been way more interesting than OP's chosen topic for pretty much this whole thread.
>>
>>47261271

>Jutland
>Germans lost quite a few boats

The Germans lost a battle cruiser (scuttled after being damaged), a pre-dreadnought, and a handful of support ships.

The British lost 3 battle cruisers and a handful of support ships, and despite catching the entire German fleet off guard failed to destroy them.

It was basically inconclusive.
>>
>>47273881
This gives me a fucking exceptional idea

Recreating that sense of weird dread when you first started playing Souls by starting a standard dungeon crawl and all the enemies, the setting too, being exceptionally fucking weird, and weirder as it goes. Eventually the cast is going to start wondering what the hell kind of dungeon they've been sent to sack.
>>
File: 1835833-gallery_16_4_157438.jpg (296 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1835833-gallery_16_4_157438.jpg
296 KB, 1280x720
>>47255117
Ace Combat and other flight (or space) sims.
>>
File: 1463105108893.jpg (51 KB, 300x495) Image search: [Google]
1463105108893.jpg
51 KB, 300x495
>>47265577
i'm so glad i don't know what this is
>>
>>47279414
Honestly I feel like it wouldn't be that hard to create an Ace Combat plot that is okay for a party, we've just never really seen a plane RPG that works outside of the MAY OR MAY NOT ACTUALLY EXIST Planes & Mercs. I heard there was a totally 100% real RPG that someone made from trying to replicate Planes & Mercs but I've never seen it.
>>
>>47272540
Hey man, I've played a made up person half my life and there's been some good moments
>>
>>47276765
It went places for a while. They met over a Federation colony and had to deal with the problem that the Borg were coming and they simply did not have the cargo capacity to evacuate more than a small fraction of the population. Then they fought and destroyed a Borg scouting unit composed of a cube, two spheres, and four escorts. They proceeded into the Badlands and encountered a very large pirate fleet that had gotten a hold of a Romulan mobile fleet base. Attempts at negotiating went sour when some of the pirate's slaves aboard one of their ships pulled off a mutiny and signalled for help, at which point Starfleet lost its shit and everyone started shooting.

There was also all manner of character drama. Like we had an Akira commanded by a young and inexperienced Lieutenant Kirk, graddaughter of Peter Kirk, who had to deal with everyone's expecting miracles from her even though she had no idea what she was doing and was only in command because the Borg took out the senior officers. Then there were like three different players who had crew members with secret Romulan politics baggage because of course they do, they're Romulans. There were Vulcans having to deal with depression because all the logic in the world can't insulate you from the fact that everything you knew is gone. We had the the crew of the ghost ship dealing with the existential horror of being minds uploaded to a computer and wondering if they were real. There was an orphan Changeling commanding one of the ships in the guise of a Starfleet officer. Just lots of weird shit going on, it was pretty awesome.

Unfortunately the game sort of petered out as people were dealing with the aftermath of capturing or destroying most of the pirate fleet while the Borg slowly closed in. It was a lot of fun while it lasted, and the GM kept hinting that we were going to eventually defeat the Borg somehow, since some of his narration was in the form of historical materials from the future.
>>
>>47280273
Well, I suppose this tends to be the fate of a play by post. Sounds rad as hell.
>>
>>47279415
Magical Girl Noir Quest, which has over 300 threads and probably the largest playerbase of the current /tg/ quests.
>>
>>47255572
Any reason as on why they not automate their ships at that point?
>>
File: everything is coming up kira.png (157 KB, 411x561) Image search: [Google]
everything is coming up kira.png
157 KB, 411x561
>>47263219
It would probably work well in Fate Accelerated, since that is more focused on narrative outcome than any kind of simulation. Just make sure all players know that, when in doubt, it just works.
>>
>>47280438
The ships are already somewhat automated. Why they aren't FULLY automated we can only speculate. Computer technology seems pretty retarded, and signal jamming and interception seem pretty good, so the necessity of having at least one human being per vessel is there.

Honestly the guys in LoGH seem quite 'low tech' as it were, even their feats of high technology are essentially just channelling huge amounts of energy (You can build lots of big reactors in space) and material resources (Space has a lot of metal in it) into cold war era technology. The only real mysteries of their tech are Zephyr particles (A particle which follows rules appropriate to high energy radiation, yet is somehow able to be ignited as a powerful fuel-air explosive) and whatever they use to generate artificial gravity. They have never actually displayed any of the mastery of servomotors, sensors, or computing technology necessary to construct an autonomous drone that could do maintenance and troubleshooting on their ships. There's no butlerian jihad in the past to anyone's knowledge, they just didn't know this shit when they got to space.
>>
>>47279414
>>47279462
I'm in an Ace RPG and it's alright.
>>
>>47280536
Oh, and whatever FTL they have in the setting, which surprisingly is barely even shown. I've speculated that they can just keep accelerating linearly and ignore relativity, and their shields are to stop microdebris shredding them apart when they do this.
>>
>>47255117
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
>>
>>47280536
It's worth noting that Phezzan has a motherfucking space elevator, which isn't ever overtly talked about or even mentioned as being important in the show. That's pretty impressive for appearing to not have super advanced computers or AI.
>>
File: boarding.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
boarding.webm
2 MB, 640x480
Also, if nothing else, the crew can be there to stop the boarding of the ship.
Technically I suppose you could just design it so that you couldn't board it in the way the FPA do here, but eh.
>>
>>47271647
Those nip ones are pretty rad. I think I still have the first four with original covers.
>>
>>47271647
I didn't realize there was a second series of German covers for people who didn't want to be seen reading children's books.
>>
>>47280563
One time during the last season, the ships are shown exiting from a warp.
>>
>>47260749
K.
>>
>>47266077
Eg. It was made before moeshit and Naruto killed anime.
>>
>>47266393
Like, legally and not deleted every hour?
>>
>>47255117
BLAME!
>>
>>47256244
So much this. Everyone here always asks what would be the best system for this and the answer is none. No tabletop rpg could simulate (atleast in a fun or interesting way) the feel of isolation and the resurrection side and both of these are paramount to Dark Souls. All the interactions with NPCs and other players are fleeting and distant.
>>
>>47284467
Man, the fanmade BLAME! RPG has really interesting mechanics and it really tore at me that BLAME! at its core is such a terrible setting for a campaign. Fortunately I found the BLAME!2 short, which presents things after BLAME! and could actually feasibly constitute a setting that would work. There's like a 1 in 3 chance its the next game I run when I boot one up in a week or two.

BLAME!2 is intrinsically much more palatable. Silicon society members who can mow you down with a flick of the wrist still exist, as d swarms of haywire safeguard, but mankind as a whole is on a vast crusade to reclaim the megastructure, and the netsphere chaos is slowly being resolved. All the dangerous horrifying things in the megastructure can only stand up to so many thousands of harpoon gun wielding soldiers backed by hacked builder mechs. I was thinking I could run the party as pleb villagers or clone barbarians or whatever who receive a vision foretelling the coming of the messiah (Killy's son) and telling them to go through their floor of the megastructure and rally an army from all of them to strike against the Silicon Life the moment the netsphere on the floor is reordered (The crusaders won't admit it but they are worried that the Silicon Life could stage a counterattack and take out the messiah if they aren't destroyed immediately). Campaign would be about skulking around beneath the feet of giants and trying to convince various settlements that really don't want to be found that they're totally going to be presented with a golden opportunity to kill off their predators when the Safeguard suddenly go against the actions of their entire recorded history and ally with them.
>>
>>47283824
No, but also no since it's not licensed out of Japan.
>>
File: KORINCI_HP.jpg (128 KB, 633x511) Image search: [Google]
KORINCI_HP.jpg
128 KB, 633x511
>>47271647
>he doesn't post the side-view of Ukrainian covers
>>
File: moeshit__1994.png (62 KB, 700x645) Image search: [Google]
moeshit__1994.png
62 KB, 700x645
>>47283798
It's more complicated than that.
>>
>>47275289
That might just be crazy enough to work, but it only establishes one Master when there are supposed to be loads. You're not going to the table with like twenty people every session, are you?
>>
>>47285102
>>47285534
Nice to hear in both cases.
>>
>>47271647
>Jewish Harry right above Na.. German Harry
this amuses me somewhat
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 68

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.