[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kind of tabletop RPG allows for a very anachronistic setting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: 1292695794349.jpg (1 MB, 1895x2667) Image search: [Google]
1292695794349.jpg
1 MB, 1895x2667
What kind of tabletop RPG allows for a very anachronistic setting?

More specifically, I was thinking of an apparently medieval setting with swords and sorcery but that also has robots and modern guns popping up infrequently

The closest thing I can think of would be dungeons the dragoning, but maybe there are others that I don't of
>>
>>47253178
I played in an Eberron Mutants and Masterminds game and had 1 ton of fun.

Make sure that players understand the setting before building things. It's great.
>>
>>47253178
GURPS?
>>
>>47253238
the idea is to make something akin to the world of works like MGQ or Blade Play, for a reference

>>47253269
pls no
>>
>>47253178
>>
>>47253178

>Anachronistic settings

These are always hit or miss, but by god, when they hit, they knock it out of the park.
>>
>>47253315
shit memed senpai
>>
File: image.jpg (639 KB, 1600x1447) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
639 KB, 1600x1447
>>47253291
Are you familiar with Eberron?

I think mutants and masterminds has the flexibility you want without being gurps
>>
>>47253337
>Are you familiar with Eberron?
shamelessly, no I'm not

Perhaps I'll give mutants and masterminds a read, what kind of system does it use?
>>
>>47253333
>scaflowne
oh god, I just remember that I downloaded that animu recently

now I'm wondering if I should run a game heavily inspired on it...
>>
>>47253409

>I just remembered that I downloaded that animu recently

It's so good.
>>
>>47253335
Ok, dank meme off famalam, you and me.
>>
GURPS Book of New Sun

You get the time travellers, robots underwater monsters and aliens all screwing around in pretty much medieval society only thing is that there is no magic aside from artifacts.
>>
File: dark angel biker.jpg (55 KB, 526x390) Image search: [Google]
dark angel biker.jpg
55 KB, 526x390
>>47253178
40k.
>>
>>47253377
D20. Just a d20. Point but. Maybe start them out at pl 8, ensure that powers are either biological, devices, or magical
>>
>>47253530
There's fucking cavemen and time weapons in the same setting. Magic exists and so does alien superscience. Knights ride giant robots. Ignoring the memes, in terms of sheer anachronism it's the most balls out example there is.
>>
>>47253736
All those examples you're pointing out could be played out in a single battle:
Feral world regiment with psykers and Knight support vs Necrons.
There, all of it in a single table. Balls to the fucking wall.
>>
>>47253463
I would challenge you to a meme-off, but shitposting in my own thread isn't a wise idea

>>47253530
>>47253736
nope because everything is surrounded by grimdark and everyone expects it
For example, magic exists, is shamed upon, magicians (psyquers) are mentally unstable psycopaths and magic itself can backfire into total annihilation

also, mainly medieval my ass, the setting is unmistakable futuristic with some medieval things showing, not the opposite
>>
Phantasy Star
>>
>>47253178

Have it take place in an allegedly modern setting where most of the focus is in one of those backwater countries that never got hit by the industrialization: cars are a rarity, and guns are slowly becoming a presence, alongside bulletproof vests and shields, so you have weird transitional armours like knights wearing kevlar under their plate or deciding to mix and match, people using sub-machine guns primarily as static point defense weapons, and well, take a look at WWI for a good example of what happens when you mix pre-modern tactics and ideals with modern weapons.

Magic can be used as a provision to make firearms a bit less deadly if you're lucky enough to afford enchanted armor: a lot more deadly if you're not.
>>
>>47253774
And if you want to go even more balls to the fucking wall stupid
Necrons vs IG feral world with knight support vs chaos vs eldar
>Evil undead robots fight cavemen aided by mecha-knights while also fighting off literal super-soldiers with demon based mutations while space faring elves that make everything out of bone phase in and out of reality
>>
>>47253178
Anima: Beyond Fantasy
>>
>>47253178
Warhammer Fantasy Battle? You have things like the low-tech Brettonians, 17th century (Holy Roman) Empire & who knows what the Skaven have.
>>
5e vaguely reminds you that you can anachronistic stuff. The sequel to thr bad end of our current campaign will be that our first homebrew setting will have advanced to modern tech thanks to the death of magic and will try to invade thier new setting via a newly opened door to Sigil.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.