[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to create a setting similar to Bloodborne and Innistrad.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7
File: Humble.jpg (138 KB, 970x545) Image search: [Google]
Humble.jpg
138 KB, 970x545
I want to create a setting similar to Bloodborne and Innistrad. What monsters are a must have?
>>
The Gays.
The Blacks.
The Muslims.
>>
If you want to do it properly don't include any monsters. Just imply their existence and drop general hints but never truly reveal anything
>>
I would recommend at a minimum trying to hit the five basic horror archetypes.
>the zombie, the endless, relentless, mindless horde, not individually dangerous but nigh unstoppable in numbers, and they're always in numbers.
>the werewolf, pure animalistic fury, extreme physical strength and uncontrollable ferocity, needs to be solitary, highly aggressive and very hard to fight directly.
>the vampire, as a counterpoint to the above, the social predator, something which is dangerous less for its abilities than for its ability to blend in to human society and outsmart its prey.
>the conspiracy, this is the great secret, the power which moves behind the scenes manipulating everything from the shadows, extremely powerful but always subtle.
>the cosmic horror, the great other, the unknown and unknowable, completely inhuman, extremely powerful but is pursuing goals which are completely alien to our mindset, what we do know is that it's probably going to be bad for us.

if you can fill at least these five roles with something then your setting should have a decent variety of threats which allows for several different adventure types.
>>
Well, gothic horror often revolves around the fear brought up by the past, or rather, the societal cruelties of our history. Vampires being the cruel excess and decadence of the noble class (Still viable shit today) Werewolved being out fear of the "Bestial" aspects of our nature, that sort of thing.

1: A coven or conspiracy of witches or occultists. This can be either your spooky, blood-drinking broom riders, or your secretive "Order of the Golden Dawn" aleister crowley types.

2: The Abomination: an example of magic or science practiced unethically is kind of a perfect gothic plot device. Your frankensten's monsters, your golems of prague etc.

3: The Disease: A supernatural or eldricht inflicter of illness captures gothic terror quite well, that feeling of helplessness and desperation as an insidious, seemingly invisible enemy rips through a population, striking them with slow, horrid deaths.

4: Demons. Not specifically the infernal ones, but any supernatural entity with nebulous, insidious intent willing to "Make a deal." This can be tentacled outer gods, infernal dukes of hell, or even cunning and cruel Fae.
>>
>>47253130
then it wouldn't be similar to bloodborne or innistrad at all
>>
>>47252792
you need some rogue hunters and overzealous agents of the church
>>
>>47252792
just look in the CoC Monsters Guide or DnD Monsters Guide and pull out whatever looks Eldritch to you, that's pretty much what miyazaki does.
>>
>>47255105
>CoC

Call of Cthulhu?
>>
>>47252792
I'm actually planning on running an innistrad campaign so I've been looking into this a lot. Wizards put out a number of articles about different sections of innistrad and in each one it talked about a different monster. It's a good read if you're looking for inspiration.

Another thing people in this thread are touching on but not really hitting are ghosts. Ghost, Geists, and spirits can be great for horror. Something that can effect you but you have limited ways of interacting with. Also the nature of the ghost can make a lot of room for creativity.
>>
>>47256053
Y... yeah, let's go with that,
>>
>>47253052
The Welsh
>>
>>47252792
Fish peo-ple, fish peo-ple
>>
>>47256053
>>47256123
..My first thought was corruption of champions....
>>
>>47256149
Already mentioned here >>47256129
>>
File: 312.png (167 KB, 398x269) Image search: [Google]
312.png
167 KB, 398x269
>>47256525
>>
>>47252792
Monsters that were clearly human at one point but have been twisted by a mysterious plague or forbidden knowledge.
>>
File: Average Welshman.jpg (129 KB, 696x1000) Image search: [Google]
Average Welshman.jpg
129 KB, 696x1000
>>47256713
We're going in fucking circles here. Its been mentioned here! >>47256129
>>
>>47253247
conspiracy of fish-vampires make zombie servants for the cosmic horror. Also, there's a werewolf
>>
>>47256755
>forbidden knowledge
>implying the Welsh know anything
>>
>>47256713
or unethical science
>>
>>47253247
Remember that to make it properly you should not play these straight. You need things to fulfill these roles, not be them

The zombies don't HAVE to be classic zombies, they can be like mutated body horror humans or something
>>
I like the idea of black satirs that people think as devils.

They worship Shib-Niggurath and often have orgies in the woods.
>>
>>47256755
That's not forbidden knowledge, that's forbidden love.
>>
>>47253052
Hows it feel to lose?
>>
>>47256997
There are many interesting lovecraft deities. Unfortunately, it is usually reduced to tentacles.
>>
>>47256094
link to articles?
>>
>>47254299
No, then it'd be what Bloodborne and Innistrad strive hard to be, but can't simply because they MUST show the monsters or else there's no substance to the gameplay.
>>
>>47252792
Sense parasites which trick a victim's sensory organs rather than controlling their minds. Makes it extra distressing when they beg you not to hurt their twisted changeling baby, because they're being completely honest and can't be convinced otherwise.
>>
>>47252792
The only thing you REALLY need is a sickness of some kind and to limit the setting to a single town. The heart of those plots is some disease spreading.

The big thing is that the disease doesn't kill, it just changes, so your loved one could still be in there, even when they're rabidly clawing the door down.

Werewolves, vampires, zombies, they're all infectious. You could have a plot about everyone turning into clowns, or children, or ducks, or wooden figurines. The big part is that it could be YOU turning at any second
>>
>>47252792
Merciless monster hunters, because showing any kind of mercy will get them killed.
It might mean burning down a town but it will save more lives than it costs in the long run.
>>
>>47257263
Hopefully.
>>
>>47257171

Not really? Innistrad is directly concerned with the visible actions of visible monsters. Not 'There might be something in the night, maybe'.
>>
>>47257284
Innistrad didn't really focus on it but it diffinitely had the theme in some of the cards.
Bump in the Night
Just the Wind
Gone Missing
>>
Ass-monsters. Monsters who both look like, and steal, asses. Having your ass stolen isn't a pleasant thing, and is in fact scary enough to make the players jump in fright anytime you mention anything vaugely ass related.
>>
>>47257059
You tell me, loser.
>>
File: 1457751441868.png (218 KB, 800x590) Image search: [Google]
1457751441868.png
218 KB, 800x590
>>47257171
u wat

The monsters in blood borne have a very tangible presence. The Kin and Great Ones are hidden, but the beasts, the witches, the general monsters. Those are all quite real. The night of the hunt is a night when the plague gets so bad that often infected citizens band together to kill anything in sight, and turn into beasts themselves. The monsters in Yharnam are very real.
>>
The tribes in innistrad are the spirits, the zombies, the werewolves, the vampires, and hummies.
Us this as a spring pad.
>>
>>47257111
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/savor-flavor/planeswalkers-guide-innistrad-2011-11-02

They had more articles but a lot of them 404'd because Innistrad came out around when wizards was changing their websites.
>>
Just make a generic gothic setting m8
>>
>>47252792
Cephalids.
SOI fucked up by not having the "creepy shit from beneath" be cephalids and be just more stupid eldrazi instead.
>>
>>47261933
>It was a random creature type I don't like
>Should have been a random creature type I do like
>>
>>47253247
That seems like a really good way to go about it. It's also easy enough to use different things to fill those roles or have them mingle together.

I feel like Cosmic Horror might be a bit extraneous, as it's either that sort of unknowable force that behaves like the conspiracy, until it breaches in and you've just got a really eldritch werewolf
>>
>>47262725
Cosmic Horror can be the wildcard of the bunch.

Though admittedly similar to the conspiracy, the cosmic horror's methods and means are entirely unknown before it springs into action.

It also lets you do shit on a larger scale than even the conspiracy.
>>
>>47256962
>>47262725
I actually wanted to mention this, the names are less important than the descriptor. Hell any setting with feral vampires has them as the werewolves, WoD has vampires as (one of) the conspiracy. If I were running a D&D game with a horror element I'd probably do it like this:
>Goblins/Kobolds (the zombie)
>Giants/Ogres/Trolls (the werewolf)
>Succubi/Dopplegangers (the vampire)
>Warlocks/Evil Clerics (the conspiracy)
>One of the many evil gods (the cosmic horror)

It's just a system to try and cover most of the bases in terms of what scares people.
>>
>>47257426
this is why I use horses.
>>
Why no one mentioned Frankenstein monsters?

If Anyone have read twig it have tons of ideas on the subject.

I really like the zombie horses as the mass produced form of trasnportation.
>>
>>47263654
>If Anyone have read twig it have tons of ideas on the subject.
Not sure what you're suggesting. Can you English a little more clearly, please? This sounds interesting. I want to understand what you're saying.
>>
>>47262725

> it's either that sort of unknowable force that behaves like the conspiracy, until it breaches in and you've just got a really eldritch werewolf

That's not what the cosmic horror is there for though. Cosmic Horrors are not inimical to life in the manner the Werewolf; they do not work towards a selfish goal in the manner of a Conspiracy, Cosmic Horrors are a dangerous resource. A resource that can be exploited by anyone with the proper tools, but cannot be controlled by them. Nobody can conspire to work towards a Cosmic Horror's goals, they can just be influenced by them without comprehending the purpose in their actions. And a Cosmic Horror is as likely to send gelid claws to scatter your frozen bones to the wind as it is to unite somebody with the love of their life.

It is unknowable
>>
>>47263654
Fourth poster mentions them. Nobody replies
>>
>>47263686
there is a webseries named "Twig". It is a grimdark 1920 setting with frankenstein technlogy.
>>
>>47264058
Thanks, friendo, I'll look it up.
>>
On a similar topic.

If I wanted to create a pirate bloodborne setting.

Which creatures would you add?
>>
I'd assume a lot of corrupted (or just straight up more terrifying) interpretations of religious figures/creatures?
>>
>>47265082
The Creature From The Black Lagoon and other B-movie monsters.
>>
File: gulper-eel-image-se41.jpg (17 KB, 280x164) Image search: [Google]
gulper-eel-image-se41.jpg
17 KB, 280x164
>>47265082
Undersea horrors can stay in the Stygian abyss where they belong and not trigger me senseless

But damn would I use actual abyssal fauna to spook my players
>>
>>47265082
Fishmen
>>
>>47256713
>Monsters that were clearly human at one point but have been twisted by a mysterious plague or forbidden knowledge.

Like people teaching liberal arts?
>>
>>47253247
>One of these things is not like the other
>>
>>47266900
Those are already in.
>>
>>47262725

Cosmic horror can act as the reason/source of the other monsters. It can be that which the conspiracy works for or gains its power to do what it does.
>>
>>47257631
no you, loser.
>>
>>47266962
Combine these two videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXb5UDaG5Ws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y69tkCbeC5o
>>
>>47267009
I swear cthulhu fetishism has ruined gothic horror/southern gothic/weird west forever.
>>
>>47273800
It's actually handled pretty well in Bloodborne.
>>
>>47273847
It's not that it can't be done well it's that people think it must ALWAYS be done.
A whole town can be fucked up completely by something as mundane as a single witch, you don't need Azathoth to be the final boss of all your shitty campaigns, it's pretty much the same as shoving Satan in everything.
>>
>>47267452
Exactly. Cosmic Horror is a theme, like Undead. You can just as easily have a Conspiracy cult unearthing Eldritch monsters to fill the other 3 types, just like how you could have a Conspiracy cult trying to raise an evil Lich overlord and his army of undead minions that fill the other 3 types.

Anything can be a reason/source of other monsters, but there's nothing that really earns it it's own category.
>>
>>47257171
Looks like someone has no idea what they're talking about
>>
so no new original monsters were suggested.

I'm disaapointed.
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 682x511) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 682x511
>>47278953
Try this archived thread.
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/4505661/
>>
>>47263593
Thumbs up.
>>
File: Ravencastle.png (580 KB, 2302x2002) Image search: [Google]
Ravencastle.png
580 KB, 2302x2002
>>47252792
really pretty much any monster can work if you tweak it in the right manner

also been working on a Bloodborne style setting, using this map as a base, it'd basically be Bloodborne meets Blood(the old FPS) meets Pulp/Noir fiction meets D&D(since I'd probably be modifying a retroclone to use as the system), with potentially some bits of Weird West and Southern Gothic(including Appalachia) mixed in as well(not in the city proper, but some of the areas surrounding the city would include that sort of thing)

might talk about it more if anyone is interested
>>
>>47261933
You are aware there is no mention of or hints that lead you to believe Eldrazi?
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.