[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would happen if dragons replaced dogs has the favored pet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 21
What would happen if dragons replaced dogs has the favored pet in our world?
>>
>>47249079
People who're allergic to fur would be happier. Otherwise it DEPENDS ON THE DRAGON'S RULES.
>>
>>47249079
How to train your dragon would become a documentary
>>
File: _.jpg (60 KB, 800x638) Image search: [Google]
_.jpg
60 KB, 800x638
>>47249079
How would that even work?

Dogs
>can be trained
>man's best friend
>can fight for you
>good for huggin
>big paws
>bark bark alert guard
>can dig like a pro
>can dig people out of snow

Dragons
>bigger than St Bernards
>breath fire (sometimes)
>eats entire fucking cows
>sleeps 20 hours a day
>can't do shit in cold weather
>scales could make cool armor though
>live to be like 1000 fucking years old
>>
>>47249114
>>eats entire fucking cows
>>sleeps 20 hours a day
Nothing which sleeps 20 hours a day needs to eat a cow a day.
>>
>>47249079
I'd imagine if dragons were their normal size, they would be used like how elephants are used. To carry stuff and carry people. With the added ability to fly and set things on fire.
>>
>>47249192
What the fuck is a normal dragon's height?
>>
>>47249202
Define "normal dragon".
>>
File: draconomicon.jpg (257 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
draconomicon.jpg
257 KB, 1024x768
>>47249202
>>47249211
I meant this size.
>>
>>47249243
>D&D defines fantasy normality
No.
>>
A holes would start dragon fighting rings and drug dealers will use them to protect themselves

Also police will shoot a lot more dragons...

Of course this is worst case scenario.
>>
Shit would be lit senpai
>>
>>47249079
They would probably be kept as pets when they're hatchlings and small but eventually get flushed down the toliet and society would have sewer dragons.
>>
>>47249137

Flight takes up a ridiculous amount of energy.

Take a typical diet for something, then magnify it by ten if it is a flyer. Especially a heavy ass flyer like a dragon is.

Say we got a dragon that is about the size of a horse.

Just to live and do no work but be healthy, a horse needs 15,000 calories a day.

Let's say your actually do shit with this dragon, ride it, or have it patrol or something that would be considered moderate to light work.

A moderate to light amount of work for a horse to be healthy? 25,000 calories a day.

Let's times that by ten because fucking flight.

250,000 calories a day.

A whole cow has 664,000 calories on average.

Now, we said this dragon is sleeping 20 hours a day, so let's say it need 150,000 calories a day to be healthy.

They are solely meat eaters so that would be roughly 100 pounds of ground beef a day.

Average price for ground beef? According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, it is $4.23 a pound.

So a beef fed diet will cost you $423 a day.
That is $154,395 a year.

Wanna try chicken instead? It is cheaper after all. 480 calories per pound of pure chicken. Beef was 1,500 calories per pound, so you are going need roughly 3 times the amount of chicken.

How much is chicken per pound? 1.97 a pound. Half the cost, but you need three times as much so beef is better.

Fuck those expensive ass lizards. They better provide me a hoard to keep their ass feed or else they can fuck right off.
>>
>>47249256

You know what? Eat shit.

D&D pretty much DOES define the vast majority of fantasy tropes, ideas, and concepts.

In fact, the vast majority of fantasy could be defined as 'It's like D&D, except X is different or it takes place Y and in the year Z'
>>
>>47251865
No.
>>
>>47251930

He's not really wrong. D&D has done a heap to codify a lot of fantasy staples.
>>
>>47251820
Fantasy is the key word here, anon. I am sad that you can't seem to understand that concept, it would make your life much more enjoyable.
>>
>>47251820
What if they were a size of a dog then, like OP's pic?
>>
>>47252086
I'm sad that you're sad, you should be happy. I liked that Anon's post, it was informative and interesting.
Also it in no way suggests they don't get fantasy, you shouldn't be so quick to judge Anon, might be why you are sad all the time.
>>
File: Dragonkeeper Frank Cho.jpg (112 KB, 736x1104) Image search: [Google]
Dragonkeeper Frank Cho.jpg
112 KB, 736x1104
>>47249079
Things get smelly, like paris. Nobody is going to force someone walking a DRAGON to pick up after it.
>>
>>47251954
Examples?
>>
>>47251820
>Let's say your actually do shit with this dragon, ride it, or have it patrol or something that would be considered moderate to light work.
Then it's not sleeping 20 hours a day.
>>
>>47249114
Maybe they're all nuclear dragons like Godzilla or something.
>>
>>47251820
A dragon the size of a horse wouldn't replace dogs for the same reason that horses don't replace dogs: because horses are, as you say, fucking expensive. OP's dragon is a little larger than a sheep. Assume the OP is related unless something heavily suggests it isn't.
>>
File: 1462159892956.jpg (29 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1462159892956.jpg
29 KB, 480x360
>>47249079
It'd be awesome but since god hates us it never happened
>>
File: lich.jpg (146 KB, 733x1089) Image search: [Google]
lich.jpg
146 KB, 733x1089
>>47253417
Ever use the term "lich" to describe an intelligent undead wizard? D&D started that shit (before that, "lich" was basically just another word for "zombie").
>>
>>47252086
Dude its ok you got told, stop grasping at straws anon.
>>
>>47253534
>Ever use the term "lich" to describe an intelligent undead wizard?
Only for D&D. The phylactery is the defining trait of a lich, what other systems and settings have undead wizards with phylacteries?
>>
>>47249137
Correction.
Nothing the size of a dog which sleeps 20 hours a day needs to eat a cow a day.
>>
>>47251954
>>47251865

The problem with this old bullshit is that D&D is massively out of touch with mainstream fantasy, only people who read exclusively forgotten realms novels fail to realize this.

D&D codified stuff for D&D, with some cross contamination with videogames and stuff like that.

But the amount of people who are familiar with D&D tropes is absolutely dwarfed by the amount of people who read books other than Dragon Lance or Drizzt and don't really know or care what Drow, liches or most kinds of greenskins are.

Fa/tg/uys keep making the mistake of assuming that we're representative of the majority of people who dabble in our interests.
>>
>>47253639
vendingo~
>>
>>47253602

Oh, then what IS representative of mainstream fantasy?
>>
>>47253659
Peter Jackson's LotR, and Harry Potter.
>>
>>47253647
If you deleted your post because you think you misspelled vendingo, you didn't. It's a youtube reference.
>>
>>47253695

>Harry Potter

...Harry Potter owes a damn lot to how D&D has warped the public image of fantasy around it. Like Wizards in general (What with LOTR wizards not being human or it being a learned skill)
>>
>>47253697
Nah, it's just that I figured that while a vendigo would want to eat a cow every minute if it could, I don't really know what they need to eat. Can a vendigo even starve to death?
>>
>>47249079
>buy sheepdragon
>it eats all the sheep

GODFUCKING DAMMIT

>sheepdragon is incredibly friendly to humans tho
>warm (due to internal heat) fat dragon to cuddle

eh, that'll do dragon
>>
>>47253659
It's incredibly varied, and the current trend is very gritty and not very concerned with the usual videogame tropes.

Far more people think of the Lotr trilogy than D&D when they hear Orcs, and way more people know about Westeros than Forgotten Realms.

How many Orcs and Dark elves do you find in stuff written by Hobb, McClellan, Lawrence or Abercrombie? Not a lot, let me tell you.

Modern fantasy doesn't look like the frontpage of /tg/ it looks like the toplists on Goodreads and shit like that, which is why it's nothing short of hilarious that the same "D&D and WoW ruined fantasy!" arguments keep popping up here.

>>47253727
Again, you're mistaking the most familiar thing for you that gets inspiration from the same sources with being the origin.

Harry Potter is inspired by stuff like Narnia, The Sword in the Stone and The Little White Horse, all of which predates D&D and no doubt inspired a lot of the authors that D&D was in turn inspired by.
>>
File: Disney Merlin.jpg (81 KB, 677x505) Image search: [Google]
Disney Merlin.jpg
81 KB, 677x505
>>47253727
>D&D invented the stereotypical fantasy wizard!
D&D was released in 74. Chainmail, the proto-D&D was late 60s/early70s

Pic related is from a fucking disney movie that came 11 years before D&D.
>>
>>47253695
>Peter Jackson's LotR, and Harry Potter.
Don't forget Game of Thrones/ASoIaF.
>>
>>47249079
Lets just assume you mean drakes because dragons as most people know them would just be completely incompatible with your idea. Plus what you posted looks like a drake not a dragon.

So, small dragon with no wings, (maybe and/or limited) fire breathing, above dog but not much by much intelligence level, cool scales, cute tails, etc.

It would be rad, but then we'd probably post threads like "what would it be like if dogs replaced drakes as favored pets?" and then we'd argue about how dogs are better than drakes because they have soft fur instead of hard scales and their ears/tails are cute because you can tell their mood etc.
>>
>>47253864
Merlin and Gandalf definitely invented the stereotypical fantasy wizards
>>
>>47254076
Many of the stereotypes are far, far, far older. The pointy hat is based off Odin for instance.
>>
What would be the Corgi breed equivalent of a Dragon
>>
>>47254297
>White deities invented the pointy hat
Please we know the pointy hat came from north Africa.
>>
>>47253537
>not understanding the concept of fun and making a setting anything but grimdark
ok
>>
>>47253568
Warcraft
>>
>dragon dogs

but isn't that what kobolds are, technically?
>>
Since people let dogs fucking get away with anything, you'd hear about dragons ripping children to shreds after breaking out of thier yards and the kids parents going to jail for slaying the dragon who did it, people letting pocket sized dragons fly around in stores when they go shopping, having to deal with them roaring late at night and breathing fire at you when you walk past thier yards, and being called a subhuman for not not liking them and liking behir instead.
>>
>>47257883
there are no bad dragons only bad owners
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (97 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
97 KB, 1920x1080
>>47257883
>pocket sized dragons flying around in stores
I realise I've missed your point but tiny dragons are the most adorable shit ever
Perching on shoulders
Trying to get at your corndog
Hissing when you get out the spraybottle
Hoarding the remote and your keys
>>
>>47255352
>a setting run by a beaurocrat is grimdark just because they like to keep track of expenses and other number
Come on anon, just because someone's idea of fun involves number crunching doesn't mean it's not fun or trying to be edgey.
>>
>>47258102
There is number crunching and then there are beaurocrats and you know it.
>>
>>47257939
You've basically described a cat, anon.
>>
File: Small Dragon.png (78 KB, 300x276) Image search: [Google]
Small Dragon.png
78 KB, 300x276
>>47249079
Wizards would make a fortune by modifying or discovering a species of dragon that stays small during maturity.

A "Pocket Dragon" of sorts.
>>
>>47257905
>implying pit bull dragons aren't a menace that deserve to be slain on the spot
>>
>>47258195
>Implying you never saw a pitbull with a good nice owner.
>>
File: innocent baby dragon.png (297 KB, 528x516) Image search: [Google]
innocent baby dragon.png
297 KB, 528x516
>>
File: odin-art.jpg (35 KB, 402x749) Image search: [Google]
odin-art.jpg
35 KB, 402x749
>>47258619
DELET THIS

Fuck I can't wait for my CE of leifthrasir
>>
>>47253429
which they address four fucking lines later
>>
The Temeraire series by Naomi Novik.
>>
>>47249079
First of all, there would be a substantially less amount of dogs in the world. Secondly, a lot more dragons. Which arguably means more mass and thus energy, so the law of conservation of energy would go byebye, and then scientists would be burned alive by dragon religions for surely if dragons exist, a dragon god must exist, and then we all dark ages now.
>>
File: 1369331767757.jpg (191 KB, 781x730) Image search: [Google]
1369331767757.jpg
191 KB, 781x730
>>47254324
>>
>>47249079
Well, for one thing, it'd be one of the rare things where a family pet could last most of the families existence, being passed down through the generations almost.

Theyd be too big and have too expensive diets for most people, unless someone managed to breed more manageable subspecies, so chances are most people would have drakes or something instead of true dragons. Having a true dragon choose you as its master would be a sign of great prestige, much like the deal with ferelden mabari in DA:O, and it'd be rare to see a family that had a dragon that wasn't some form of nobility.

Eventually I think it could lead to a sort of ''Dragon Knight'' caste. Peasants that are choosen by Dragons get raised up to the lowest noble rank, that of a Knight, and provided land etc. This way the nation they are sworn to gains a new knightly family, with all the good that does for them, and an extra dragon on its side. Most noble families would have at least 1 if not multiple dragons and there would be massive inter-family competitiveness to become the knight for that Dragon. Maybe not for the ''head branch'' but the sub branches of the family would likely strive for it as the highest prestige they can achieve.

Theres also a chance that this could lead to some sort of mad aerial warfare, causing nations to breed wyverns to mount Men at Arms upon.
>>
>>47257883
What about seeing eye-dragons?
>>
>>47257883
Are you of muslim creed?
>>
>>47253455
You already can get pet dragons, they need big enclosures though.
>>
>>47253695
D&D is pretty much entirely based on LotR, and responsible for cementing the LotR type of Fantasy as the dominant type in popular culture. I don't see how this is supposed to be an argument against the influence of D&D.
>>
>>47265528
Do Comodo Dragons have the mental capacity to become a companion or is it so stupid it'll act like a wild animal 24/7.
>>
>>47265759
That's not what you should be worried about, Komono dragons tend to have a septic mouth, meaning that if they bite you, you could get a disease from it.
>>
>>47265824
You need to worry about that from a human mouth that doesn't get cleaned every 12 hours
>>
>>47265759
>>47265824
Monitor lizards in general are really smart (I think they can count up to 6) and some of the most tamable lizards.

Komodo dragons apparently really like being petted and it's used to make them stay in place for procedures like xrays and being weighed.
>>
>>47249079
A dragon that truly replaces a dog would have to be loyal, empathize with humans, and be specialized to various tasks. If you just minaturize and domesticated the typical idea of a dragon you end up with worse version of a cat, at best.

Physically you're probably looking at a dog sized wingless creature that is nearly or completely warm blooded. Cold blooded isn't nearly as useful and flying is too expensive to feed as well as unnecessary to replace a canines function. Winged but flightless is an option however, and smaller offshoots that fly can have other uses.

Personality wise it would almost be a dog, since that level of companionship necessitates it. They could get by being less upbeat but they would still need to be as expressive. Their facial expressions is probably as to a typical reptile as owls are to other birds.
>>
>>47249079
The ATF would have a harder time shooting your pet when they kick your door in for no reason
>>
>>47249079

Postmen's jobs would get a lot harder.
>>
File: 340px-Drake_(Créature).jpg (22 KB, 340x453) Image search: [Google]
340px-Drake_(Créature).jpg
22 KB, 340x453
And what about drake,

Less intelligent, more manageable than a dragon
>>
>>47265824
>>47265854
The notion that the komodo dragon had a particularly nasty set of bacteria in its mouth was, maybe is, somewhat common, but has been rejected by more recent research. The bacteria present varied immensely, were generally from their more recent prey, and the specific bacteria believed to be the main culprits was often completely absent.

Instead they've found a set of venom glands in the lower jaw, and have analysed the venom.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2690028/
>>
>>47249098
What about people who are allergic to scales?
>>
>>47266166
That you for updating my reptile lore
>>
>>47266207
They can get a cat
>>
>>47266166
Though from a recent BBC documentary (grain of salt) their venom seems to be slow acting, but persistent. A wildebeast, bitten once, immediately became disoriented, but did not die for several hours.
>>
File: gallery_34_large.jpg (44 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
gallery_34_large.jpg
44 KB, 612x612
>>47266551
Yeah, it's a venom that complements the komodo dragon's "wound and let it bleed out" hunting method, instead of being something meant to kill quickly on its own. So it obstructs coagulation, and induces/reinforces circulatory shock.
>>
>>47265929

Actually, they might still have wings, just small ones, for the same reason why Elephants have large ears. Cooling.
>>
File: fireplace.png (782 KB, 1200x780) Image search: [Google]
fireplace.png
782 KB, 1200x780
>>47265929

From http://pastebin.com/6DuQqy58

>dragon bro wakes me up by dragging me legs first off the bed with his mouth
>leans in close to me and Roar, roar, roar until I Pat his head like an alarm clock
>waits patiently for me to make breakfast
>we have eggs, bacon and toast
>sits outside bathroom while I'm in the shower
>get out, he's lain clothes on the bed. they don't match but at least he's trying
>he waits for me to get back from work
>come in that night, don't see him
>hear him growling, go "not this sh-"
>promptly tackled from behind, pinned to the ground
>roars triumphantly, then picks me up by the collar with his teeth helping me back up
>cook dinner, he's actually pretty good at julienning veggies with his claws
>watch TV for a while curled up on the floor together
>lay down, its time for bed
>wake up, he's climbed in and is cuddling me, using me as a body pillow
>...
>get drug out of bed again to do it all over

>come home early one day
>dragon snoozing soundly in sunlight on back porch
>creep up to him, he doesn't notice me
>spring upon him, gonna try to pin him for a change
>he easily overpowers me and knocks me onto my back
>pins me down, leaning close to my face growling
>stops suddenly, licks me then lays on me
>spend the next two hours laying on my back with a dragon casually snoozing on me
>cold mountain, full moon after a fresh snow
>dragon and I are camping up there, enjoying each other's company
>set up a small cooking fire and start boiling water
>make some hot cocoa, we huddle with one another and drink, looking at the stars and moon
>see a shooting star, say "make a wish!"
>notice he's looking at me oddly
>he licks my face once, affectionately
>I guess we both got our wish already.
>>
File: 1391386223.cerberus_newohfive.gif (3 MB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
1391386223.cerberus_newohfive.gif
3 MB, 500x380
>>
File: 1441589534481.png (121 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1441589534481.png
121 KB, 640x480
>>47257883
Why the hate?
>>
>>47266023
Made my morning.
>>
>>47265824
>a disease from it.
More like all the diseases. That's how it hunts.

Bites you then fucks off for a few days while your body is ravaged by disease and dies.
>>
>>47270181
D'awwwwww, I wanna dragon now!
>>
>>47257905
>no bad dragons
i'm pretty sure there are
>>
>>47265531
D&D took Tolkien's races and little else. Nobody who has actually read LotR and played D&D will say they're particularly similar. The magic (EVERYTHING about magic from what it is and what you can do with it to how common it is) the significance and nature of the gods, all but the broadest traits of the races and the (sometimes even their names for the ones Tolkien made up wholecloth) the setting's tone etc etc. is extremely different. D&D is more like a pulp fantasy world with a touch of Tolkien on top. Something like The Burning Wheel (aka not D&D) is much closer to Tolkien.
>>
>>47249079
>Implying they arent already
>>
Less furries and more scalies.
>>
File: Temeraire.jpg (83 KB, 628x399) Image search: [Google]
Temeraire.jpg
83 KB, 628x399
>>47249079

So... Temeraire?
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.