[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think we’ll ever reach a point where the 40k universe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: CEASE AND REPENT.jpg (186 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
CEASE AND REPENT.jpg
186 KB, 800x600
Do you think we’ll ever reach a point where the 40k universe tips from the grim dark to the “not-so-grim-dark”?

I’m not saying we’ll see a happy ending in my lifetime, but in just the near decade that I’ve been into 40k (2007-2016) I can definitely say that the canon universe is nowhere near as hopeless as it once was.

You think that in another decade’s time we’ll see an Imperium that can honestly say that it holds more peaceful worlds than worlds stuck in unending war?
>>
>>47247098

I honestly think it could afford to be even more dark. I'd prefer it to be darker and more hopeless.
>>
The AdMech and Scion codexes were grimderp as fuck though
>>
File: StaticSetting.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
StaticSetting.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>47247098
>the 40k universe tips

No.
>>
>>47247589
Scions codex is not even grimdark. It is just a big joke. Ok, we got it, you get killed yes or yes for potato reasons. It is more a Paranoia splatbook or a Takeshi castle narration than actually depressing grim dark 40k.
>>
>>47247098

"Aw, Moe, you ain't thinking of getting rid of the dark are you!?"
>>
>>47247098
I would love for Games Workshop to do a narrative change of "Humans are winning" for like a year tied in with a global campaign and then make it even more grim and terrible than before with the emperor dying or something.
>>
>>47247881

As long as they call it Macharius 2: Electric Boogaloo
>>
File: Guardsman - fuck this shit.jpg (22 KB, 291x320) Image search: [Google]
Guardsman - fuck this shit.jpg
22 KB, 291x320
>>47247098
It's like the saying goes Anon, "it's always darkest before the dawn." If it does go from being grim dark to not-so-grim-dark, then it'll have to go from where it is now, to an even darker place before it gets better.

I mean the entire imperium going "Oh frak me to hell" and having a major last gasp universal battle from one end of the galaxy to the other. With the end of it being a one in a trillion shot of winning and succeeding against all odds with a major sacrifice, before finally going "Okay, we can relax now, everyone back to work."

Of course, this would probably result in an age of sigmar type thing. Which means that it'll never happen because games workshop isn't stupid enough to pull a stunt like that with their cash cow. I mean, surely they aren't that stupid, right? Right?
>>
>>47247098
> we’ll see an Imperium that can honestly say that it holds more peaceful worlds than worlds stuck in unending war?

I like to think that most Imperial worlds are actually perfectly nice places to live, we just never hear anything about them
>>
>>47247881 Last time that happened, Chaos won so ridiculously well that it was dumb.
>>
>>47248041
It seems in a lot of the novels that have a non-military characters perspective that does seem to be the case. It might not be glamorous living and it may be slum tier sometimes but its usually "everything was okay until Chaos/Xenos/whatever came and fucked it all up"
>>
>>47247881
I'd love if they made it so that in m41.999 the 13th Black Crusade is held at a stalemate, Imperial Forces are retaking Armageddon and the Big E is still fine.

Then when they release the next edition, the date has ticked over to M42.000 and suddenly:

>a fuckhuge Tyranid hivefleet has just arrived on the boundary of Imperial Space. Evidently it is what Leviathan was the scouting force for.
>The Eye of Terror has begun expanding as a result of the destruction of the pylons on Cadia and multiple daemon primarchs are observed leading massive forces out of the Eye in conjunction with Abbadon. They are B-lining it straight to Terra
>Gazghul has pieced together an army so huge that Gork and Mork themselves are leading it.
>A Necron fleet has materialized in Mars orbit, ready for another attack
>something something something Cypher and the Dark Angels
>In Commaragh, a crack has appeared on Vauls Gate and it is getting larger and larger very quickly

Oh yeah and the emperor has died
>>
>>47248181
It's Khaine's Gate.

Anyways, the 7th ED Rulebook pulls no punches, it says the the Imperium will end after m41.999. The question, the real one, is what comes after?
>>
>>47248181
The Emperor can't die. Best case scenario, Sol is a new Eye of Terror and there is no Astronomican and the Emperor isn't protecting humanity from Chaos. So the Imperium slowly falls apart amidts Xeno and Chaos incursions, with only strong, united and self sufficient systems delaying the inevitable. Chaos growing stronger most likely fucks up the Eldar too, so the only way to defeat Chaos is bullshit Necron space magic technology or the Tyranids eating everything. Worst case scenario is reality being torn apart until only Chaos remains.
40k is written itself in to a corner and it's impossible to advance the timeline. Except if they axe a few factions or complete retcon many lore elements.
>>
SECOND AGE OF STRIFE

AND

ULTRAMAR
>>
>>47248445
>40k is written itself in to a corner and it's impossible to advance the timeline

That's what happens when you write every single non-Imperial faction as being Imperium-beaters.
>>
>>47248508
It doesn't help the fact that if a faction is wiped out, you're literally pissed off at least semi-significant portion of the fanbase.
>>
>>47248445
>or complete retcon many lore elements.
Are you pretending that they aren't more than happy to do pants-on-head retarded retcons or "clarifications" at the drop of a hat?
>>
>>47247098
If AoS is anything to go by, the grim derp will never end, and the whole thing will self destruct before anything "good" ever starts to show on the horizon.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.