[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Core Mechanic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: Dice.png (17 KB, 78x90) Image search: [Google]
Dice.png
17 KB, 78x90
What's your favourite core mechanic and why? D20? D100? 3d6? Jenga?
>>
>>47246129
Percentiles roll under because you just can't fuck it up.
>>
Bell curves. 3d6, 4dF, pick highest die pools.
>>
I started playing with second edition DnD. LOL at wanting games to have a core mechanic. Back in my day every type of action used a different mechanic and we liked it that way!
>>
>>47249270
But 2e did have a core mechanic. D20. Multiple specialized subsystems does not preclude a core mechanic, at least IMHO.
>>
The d20 is the easiest to use and understand, which is funny because there are people who still don't understand it.

Each one point increment is an increment of 5%. That's the great mystery behind this die.
It's simple to use, both in regards to it being a single die and the math surrounding it being easy and transparent, and it satisfies the random chance element without any needless or tedious complications.

If you want more consistent results, you don't need to use a bell curve, you just need to adjust the target numbers higher or lower depending on whether you want success or failure to be more consistent.
>>
>>47249314
"Linear progression works fine as long as you fudge target numbers to ape what a bell curve does by default!"
>>
>>47246129
The most successful games I've ever run have been d20 ones. While the rules themselves can be quite complicated, ultimately they boil down to "Roll this dice, add those numbers, and if the sum is higher than this number here, you succeed".
I've also had fun with d100 roll under systems, but my personal opinion is that d20 is the best for generic roleplaying games.
>>
>>47249334
>I don't actually play games so I don't understand what I'm talking about

All the bell curve does is make the math involve awkward increments that force the GM and system designers to stay in a relatively narrow range of values because the extremes of the dice are too finicky to be reliably worked with.

If the argument is "consistent results", "consistent" success or failure all can be determined by the target numbers.
>>
>>47249399
>I've never played anything besides D&D
Yeah, okay bud.
>>
>>47249399
>All the bell curve does is make the math involve awkward increments that force the GM and system designers to stay in a relatively narrow range of values because the extremes of the dice are too finicky to be reliably worked with.

Bell curve virgin detected.
>>
I like, make a pool then add two highest rolling die from Cortex.
Before I discovered that I liked Silhoutte a lot, Skill level is the amount of d6 in pool. Rate the single highest die and add attribute. Skilled people will perform well but a prodigy has a chance to surpass them.
For systems where players are the underdogs most of the time (eg. D&D) it actually helps to have a linear dice curve. So depending on the game style I like those also.
>>
I like D100, but that's the only system I've gone very in-depth with. So.
>>
>>47249428
>>47249464
As somebody that despises D&D, the twenty sided die is not Satan like you bell curve retards seem to thing it is. Linear percentages are easier to quickly know what chance a player has of fucking up. Roll a 5 get %25, roll a 15 get %15.

Not only that, but 3d6 gives you only 16 results instead of a full 20. You roll three dice and you get less target numbers to choose from, and you say it's objectively superior to rolling a single dice that you can assign 20 full target numbers to, are you fucking kidding me. 3d6 also makes it harder to use your skill value roll under for your target number, so it's not even as robust as a d20 on top of giving you less results.

Fuck you.
>>
>>47249610
*think
*%75
Quick correct on my sleep deprived typos
>>
>>47249610
>you get less target numbers to choose from
If that were important, exploding dice should be the greatest thing since ever.
>>
>>47249294
The only thing you used the D20 for in Wl2e was attack rolls and saves. And those two D20 rolls used different systems.That's not a core mechanic.
>>
Here we go again. One of the oldest intractable arguments in the hobby, linear vs bell is at least 40 years along.

Of course, this is /tg/. Intractable is what we do here.
>>
File: exploding knees.jpg (54 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
exploding knees.jpg
54 KB, 700x700
I like exploding d8s. I used to like 3d6, but then I realized how much rolling that'd be, and so now I am an #8ball.

The numerical ranges and probabilities possible with exploding d8s really excite me, and it makes multiple attacks or groups of people look kind of like a White Wolf fight.
>>
>>47246129
I like 2d6. It's purist. It's the core mechanic of countless gambling, board and role-playing games.

It's extraordinarily familiar, gives a decent probability spread, and the fact that the dice have pips gives the rolling of doubles some extra umph.
>>
>>47249610
Nobody said bell curve is objectively better here sperg, the posts you replied to were stating that bell curve isn't objectively INFERIOR to linear progression i.e. D20.

The guy who started this basically said "bell curves are useless, d20 is best because you can mimic a bell curve by fudging target numbers hurrhurr".

This isn't an argument about why bell curve is BEST MECHANIC EVER INVENTED, it's an argument about why D20 isn't.

Go to bed.
>>
4d6 - 4. ( I prefer using 6 sided die numbered 0 through 5)

This gives a nice bellcurve with a range of 0 - 20.
>>
>>47249648
Just because you want more granularity, you don't automatically want unlimited granularity.
>>
>>47249826
>I prefer using 6 sided die numbered 0 through 5
That works.
>4d6 - 4
That doesn't.

Putting a function at the end of a roll is what you do for bonuses and penalties. You can't do it by default or it feels like the mechanic is inherently penalizing you.
>>
>>47249610
>implying 3d6 with limited range is the only bell curve model

FUDGE dice master race, infinitely scalable bell curve nirvana.
>>
>>47249808