[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it viable to for a game to change gameplay based on certain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1200x1819) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1200x1819
Is it viable to for a game to change gameplay based on certain character options?
>>
>>47239604
Weird I was just watching the speedpaint of that pic yesterday.
>>
File: 1432608375634.jpg (23 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1432608375634.jpg
23 KB, 500x375
>>47239604
no
>>
>>47239604

Yeah, that's pretty much what character options do.
>>
>>47240487
I didn't mean from a "you are this class and have these unique abilities" standpoint, but the actual choices a player makes drastically change how the game is played.

Choosing a "race" defines the rest of character options. So rather than class defining what you're proficient with, "race" defines the equipment an individual can use as well as classes you can theoretically take on.

How drastic can these changes be?
I'm poking at rules for a mech based combat game, and wondering if being a human with cybernetics should be barred from certain types/weights while larger mechanized infantry bots would be barred from the lightest class of parts.
>>
>>47242495
Sounds like you're still talking about basically the same sort of thing classes do. Fighters (usually) can't take spells in D&D. How is limiting what sort of mech you can pilot any more drastic than that?
>>
>>47242495
Shadowrun to some extent add different levels of play depending on what you play
>>
>>47242495
They can be as drastic as you want them to be. You've basically just set up 'race as class' with that, with humans being small, lightweight, and fast, and robots being large, heavy, and strong.

I thought you were asking something really odd, like if it was possible for someone to be playing a typical hack & slash while another is busy playing solitaire or something.

Even that would be feasible though if you found a way to link the two.
>>
>>47242495
The answer here is "You're the DM so it's your decision" really.

Just my two cents, however: If it's possible to play a human pilot with cybernetic enhancement then I can see no logical reason why they should be prevented from piloting *any* type of mech, considering they could probably directly interface with it and pilot exceedingly well. The only thing that could potentially prevent this is if you have alien races that have some sort of tech that's completely foreign and unable to be interfaced with, or that has some sort of biometric lock that will only allow a member of their species (or sufficiently close hybrids) to activate the machine, or that operate at such speeds/unusual operations that a human couldn't survive using it to it's full potential.

If you really want to limit what sort of mechs a character can pilot, play it that route. Give each race a sort of baseline mech that anyone can pilot, so allies or colonists of other species can pilot a mech with their specialty tech (beam weaponry, high speed, tough armor, etc.) but not to the highest level, though allow them to be moddable to make up for it with a bit of a boost to the player race's stat of choice (A human mech is heavily armored, alien mech is speedy, so Human pilots an alien mech but mods it for their own use and ends up with a reduced armor class in exchange for higher than average speed, replace stats as necessary per race), then give each race a few "advanced" options, like a super juggernaut class that's nearly impenetrable, or a mech so fast that it's impossible to lock on to. Then give them "class" versions, like armored mechs that are almost invincible, but trade off for weak ranged attack or extremely slow heavy hits, contrasted with a faster armored mech that hits *really* hard in melee range. Perhaps a speed mech that moves slower but has higher armor to get in close and unleash high hit-count combos vs. a "warping" mech that can teleport and backstab enemies.
>>
>>47239604
What, so you can choose whether to use a dice pool system or a d20 system at character creation? Because changing playstyles is why character options exist in the first place.
>>
>>47239604
>>
>>47239604
Mongoose Rune Quest has Dragonewts being subject to random behaviour mechanics under certain circumstances.

Like, confronted with a particular situation when under a certain set of compulsions, your "fight or flight" response, or your "sharing versus hoarding" or "self preservation versus communal well being" responses are rolled for on a die.

This represents something innate in the Dragonewt nature that is inhuman, as they often operate on different values and modes of logic to human beings.

I've not actually played with these rules yet, nor do I fully understand them; they are weird.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.