[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/tg/! You have just been commissioned to write that home brew
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
/tg/!

You have just been commissioned to write that home brew you've been promising to yourself for the past 10 years.

Where would you begin in introducing your setting and make it stand out from all the other 3.5e home brews?
>>
For one it doesn't use 3.5. Uses a homebrew classless dicepool BP system I have created. First made it generic and use it for all my homebrews under the name PiPs.

Second I could choose any of the following, I'll explain which one fa/tg/uys like the most:
>Blorg's Ultimate Survival Climax
>The Practitioner's Handbook
>Benjamin Moore's Field Guide to Primitives
>Beneath the Wall
>>
>>47234520

Benjamin Moore's Field Guide to Primitives

sounds interesting.
>>
>>47234444
I once wrote this advice in a world building thread. Make what you will of it.

>Most campaigns that I've read recently try so hard to avoid being like LotR, that they miss the point of fantasy all together. Do not be afraid to settle in what's familiar, and build upon what your players know.
>>
>>47234544
>Set during the colonial age
>Spain/Portugal never split and exists as the Iberian empire
>England and Iberia are the main competitors during the colonial age
>Europe killed all their magic with cultural advancement, but foreigners still have magical traditions
>Colonization is driven by the need to garner indigenous individuals who can use magic
>All characters are British/Iberian/Lesser European nobles and rich with their groups of magic using servants
>Magic in large comes from lack of being civilized, the more primal the person the more primal the magic.
>Europeans entierly can not use magic, not known for sure why but it is known that outside of extremely rare cases it is not a skill that can be taught.
>System has "designing spells", the more powerful the spells the less civilized the servant is
>Designing a spell and designing a servant is entirely intertwined, with personality traits being generated from how you design them (along with random traits rolled during purchase)
>Example is a servant who can "raise the dead" (consider powerful life manipulation) is required to be a cannibal. He needs to consume flesh regularly to keep his powers. You as his master have to support this.
>Servants all have both morale and fear, a measure over how well you can control them. If either gets to low they may make an attempt on your life. Considering you can't do magic it may be dangerous.
>Your character may be highly competent, but because of their natural raising in a "civilized" culture can simply not do magic

For example you could be a foppish British man with an Aboriginal Australian shaman and a Hindi priest.

An example in fiction would be Moby Dick with Ahab and Queequeg. A vengeful captain with his tribesman shaman.

The rules book is narrated from the perspective of a British man, and thus fluff descriptions are rife with stereotypes and racism inherent to the time. Along with a lot of foppish chortling.
>>
>>47234653

That's pretty cool.

Could you post an example of the opening paragraph?
>>
Modern setting w/ modern stuff, more kinds of magic and technology with more ways to blow things up, an attempt to make pure-martial relevant without downplaying the power level or doing everyone is a caster.

>Inb4 over-powered martial, because if you don't want to die protect yourself.
>>
>>47234444
Everything has 100% accuracy, when it actually happens of course. Sure, you can land a punch on Mike Tyson in the ring, but he's going to turn you into paste WAY before it happens.
>>
>>47234653
That sounds problematic. :\
>>
>>47234444
>Perpetual or proxy war between major parties in Europe
>Shifting alliances
>Opposite land amongst the nations
>The UK became the Republic and is now a mega captailst-like society with a sharp devide between rich and poor
>The corrupt leaders of unions now compete for attention, each promising support in exchange for immediate payouts to the war effort
>France is still the Empire and is now led by the Knights Templar that merged with the Royal Family
>Germany is largely rural, and peaceful and manipulated
>Swiss are savages
>Far far across the oceans the Americas are akin to Ancient Greece with city states and free thinking and togas
>The English Channel is one huge no mans land and has been forded long ago making Germany furtile and a land of forests
>Corrpution everywhere
>Micronations pop up between the borders of countries to deal with trade and communcation
>Rifles are largely Napoleonic and single-shot rifles.
>Recent discovery of magicite that operates like Phlogistein
>Powers rifles
>Powers airships
>Powers mutation
>Powers all sorts
>Is illegal, banned, proscribed, wanted, addicted.
>>
>>47234444
>fantasy setting
>demons overran and took over most of a continent some time ago
>human factions elsewhere decide they want it back
>call for a crusade
>mage clans join up because they lost their strongholds during the exodus
>start retaking cities, find out that humans still live in most of them
>crusade starts to stall out after one of the mage strongholds and several cities are recaptured
>crusaders and demons come to an uneasy truce
>demons and crusaders are both dealing with infighting while they got ready for the next round of hostilities
>>
>>47234444
>Where would you begin in introducing your setting and make it stand out
Good questions, there are a number of ways to positively contrast a new setting from similar...
>from all the other 3.5e home brews
>other 3.5e
>other
Fuck you.
I don't usually touch on edition wars crap, but fuck you.
Fuck you for limiting your post and your thread to one festering sliver of all possible systems and settings.
Fuck you for limiting your own thoughts like that.
Fuck you for getting interested in discussing intriguing methods of making a new setting stand out with an anon incapable of imagining a system other than 3.5e.
Fuck you OP.
>>
File: download.jpg (128 KB, 638x500) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
128 KB, 638x500
>>47234444
Also; you don't need to play dnd to play a game you wrote yourself
>>
>>47234653
This sounds fucking fun as hell, but totally problematic. Funny shit.
>>
>>47243589
>>47239492
That could be a good tagline.
>>
>>47234653
>>47234520
I am back, anyone curious about the others or want to ask questions? I fucking love designing systems.

I also how PiPs exist in its current form.
>>
>>47234444
Well, I begin introducing the setting by "it's fucking star trek."
>>
>3.5e home brews
I'm pretty sure we've run through every possible permutation of shit you can cram into the system by this point
We've had enough monkeys at the proverbial typewriter
Let's move on
>>
>>47245125
Tell me about beneath the wall
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.