[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know the precursors thing in space fantasy/space opera has
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: Quiet_party_3_-_prothy_wtf.png (3 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Quiet_party_3_-_prothy_wtf.png
3 MB, 2560x1440
I know the precursors thing in space fantasy/space opera has become a big cliché at this point, but given the age and size of the universe isn't it going to inevitably exist in some way or form (albiet not as impactful or setting shaking if you're trying to avoid it)?
>>
>>47221019
Given the age and size of the universe, it's entirely likely that anything that came before us died off before light from their side of the universe reached our lonely planet.

Also, reminder that we live in the latter half of the universe's timeline.
>>
>>47221083
Heavy elements weren't really a thing in the former half, so it's equally likely that this is about how long it takes for intelligent life to appear.
>>
I much prefer the 'Precursors were literally more technologically advanced humans' spin, especially when you have 'Golems' and 'Monsters' AKA robots and genetically modified animals, and there's a nice blend of old-school and sci-fi tech. Maybe a bit like Trigun.
>>
>>47221083
>Also, reminder that we live in the latter half of the universe's timeline.
What? No we don't. The Stelliferous Era isn't going to end for another hundred trillion years. The coalescence of the Local Group galaxies won't for another hundred billion. At fourteen billion years having passed so far, we are at worst in the second fifth of the universe's lifespan. The worst you could say is that we're in the later half of the Milky Way's lifespan, given that the collision with Andromeda is due to happen in five billion years. But while that will be catastrophic, there's still possibility for artifacts of prior civilizations to survive it.
>>
>>47221479
you forget that the universe's lifespan is more accurately measured by it's star population. We're in the phase of the universe where we're losing more stars than we're gaining.
>>
File: SPINVFX_EXP_0022-980x551.jpg (78 KB, 980x551) Image search: [Google]
SPINVFX_EXP_0022-980x551.jpg
78 KB, 980x551
I really like how The Expanse did it. Something came before us, and they were insanely, terrifyingly advanced. And something else killed them and left their corpse for us to poke with a stick.
>>
>>47221019
Why do all aliens in mass effect look gay?
>>
>>47221667
That's... that's fucking depressing man... Fuck entropy...
>>
>>47221826
>expecting something out of existence
that's where you fucked up to begin with
>>
>>47221800
The Krogan are pretty cool. I think my issue with ME's aliens is that they recycled too many common features like visible toe shoes and most race's feet and hands having 3 digits. We also already had a four eyed race. And they were fucking lazy with how the quarians look liked behind the mask.
>>
>>47221019
Depends on the setting. In a more realistic one, all those precursor civs are long dead after they had nowhere to go since leaving your home system is as good as impossible.
>>
>>47221775
So evangelion?
>>
>>47221893
I was always expecting to find out, that Quarians in migrant flotilla are real geths, and that the geths from veil are in fact last line of defense created by original quarians, that were exterminated during geth war.

And they wore those masks because of their synthetic look, but also, as true AI, they developed full personalities. not just randomized copies of old quarians in memory banks.
>>
>>47221874

this is what /r9k/ actually believes
>>
>>47221971
You expected too much from a dating sim with guns.
>>
>>47221971
But instead there is literally no reason to side with the Quarians other than wanting to bone Tali some more.
>quarians were the aggressors then and had no justification
>quarians are the aggressors now and have no justification
>>
>>47221978
No, that's buddhism. It's called being addicted to suffering.

The more your expectations outpace what the world can offer, the more you'll suffer. Why persist?
>>
>>47221978
Technically speaking, everything you will ever achieve will slowly degrade on subatomic level, until only emptiness and cold dark space remains... And it will all start again, because of multidimensional supercomputer based in hyperspace will finally find answer to Reverting entropy. And answer it with experiment.
>>
>>47222034
I can't tell who is trolling who anymore.
>>
>>47222004
>suffering is bad mmkay?

Stop it.
Suffering provides for moral and character growth by rising above adverse conditions. If you can't deal, you die and that's good for those others who can deal.
>>
>>47222042
Nihilism is the new trolling, and Buddhism is the original 419 scam
>hey guys why don't we stop suffering by ending all life in the universe?
>>
>>47222048
You could not possibly be more spooked.
>>
>>47222067
Okay. It would be pointless to argue with you.

>>47222048
Okay. It would be pointless to argue with you.
>>
>>47221986
Yep, but it had few good moments

>>47222001
Redemption? New "quarians" seek place to exist, because their evolution bring them closer and closer to organic life, as their system became more complex, based on synthetic neuron networks and partially organic support systems? I know that Tali was pretty aggressive towards Geth from start, but we can chalk it towards her masking as quarians?

Also the pilgrimage will become way of new system to adapt outside flotilla, to find how organics think and interact with them.
>>
>>47222108
I'm talking about the actual game, not fanfiction
>>
>>47222042
Well I was referring to Isaac Asimov short story "The Question" in my post here: >>47222034
>>
>>47221953
Is it really evangelion if it isn't a pretentious clusterfuck of a mess coughed up by a failure of a man on anti-depressants?
>>
>>47222372
>pretentious clusterfuck of a mess coughed up by a failure of a man on anti-depressants?
doesn't that describe the creative process of all single authors who try to be serious?
>>
>>47221800
Because they are
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.