[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A Spiral Knights Tabletop?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7
>>47159058
>>47159205 made me realize that, as far as I have seen, there isn't a tabletop version of that.

It seems like a simple enough system, I'd say. Go a bit rules lite for a fast and loose system, don't need gridding but maybe you need maps. Have all weapons be based on a charge system that doubles/triples damage (Maybe d6-d10 for melee's average attack, d2-d6 for guns, d2-d10 for bombs?). Have different armors reduce enemy damage by 1-2, have player HP be at an arbitrary 20?

The setting itself is already ripe for GMing, as the above posts have said. Exosuits, crashed planet, etc.

basically, what would you see the setting be in a tabletop?
>>
When you say charge system do you mean like skipping an attack turn to do a multiple of your normal damage the next round, or like you can only use your pistol three times in a row then it must recharge?

As far as the armor/health system works, I would imagine you would have to do a trade off; Say you start with the 20 flat health in your basic suit, but you find a shadow damage resistant helmet that lets you block or reduce all shadow damage by half but takes away 2 or 3 health.

I would think the most complex thing about the setting is the elemental damages but I could be over thinking it.
>>
>>47220924
No, you're right. The elemental thing is a bit harder to do. Like, the stats and everything in the game itself are really, really simple.

And yes, skipping an attack turn to boost damage. And I completely forgot pistols had to reload. So there's another mechanic.

But one thing is that you can always move+action per turn. Like, your move might be reduced while charging, but you always move.
>>
For movement I would think that you would have to do an action points kind of system where an attack might be four points, then a tile movement on the grid would be two points each, so you could dash in, attack, dash back out or fire a shot move a bit and fire again.
>>
>>47220611
Literally just a dungeon crawler m8
>>
>>47221086
Wouldn't having it be a grid system slow it down too much? The game itself, while it's not exactly "FAST PACED" does have a fluidity to it.

>>47221186
Yeah, but there are different TYPES of dungeon crawlers (both rules and playstyles). If I wanted a slow, methodical grind, I'd do something like 3.5.
>>
>>47221346
You can move and attack at the same time, some sword attacks force you to move forward unless an enemy is there, some charged gunshots force you backwards, as do certain enemy attacks, and just keep moving a free action in general
>>
>>47221346
I don't know about slowing it down, but a few games like Mice and Mystics keep up a pretty good pace using the lines instead of the spaces to track movement, and I would think that keeping the AP system would keep the slog of phases down to more snap decisions.

>>47221186
While a dungeon crawler it may be, the fluff would give it a nice twist. For example, in the vidya some missions would have objectives that could be played up a bit more in a tabletop, like defending a point from waves of enemies, or delivering supplies to an outpost.
>>
>>47221498
What fluff? You mean "dive dungeon, get loot"? Some fucking fluff that is
>>
>>47221498
Oh, like that old pirate ship miniatures game? Yeah lines seem like the best way to go for movement.
>>
>>47221695

Said the guy who obviously never played that shit
>>
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/47135346/#47135346
>>
>>47221456
I think attacking while moving would be a little difficult to handle in a table top format, the movement aspect of charge attacks could be really interesting. It could make up for the movement being shortened/more expensive while charging by giving you a burst of movement either towards or away from your target. It would also make some weapons more unique by giving it a longer range dash or knock back on charge attacks.
>>
>>47221783
I played it for like 3 months. It was fun, but mindless and shallow. It had nothing going on but maybe a handful of paragraphs at the beginning
>>
File: 1457329347653.jpg (49 KB, 400x500) Image search: [Google]
1457329347653.jpg
49 KB, 400x500
>>47222571
I played it even less and I can tell you that you are full of shit.
>>
>>47223182
Maybe they changed it then, I only played it several years ago when it was still new.
>>
>>47223539
They got rid of the mist system and you can pretty much play as long as you want to now.

Game itself is pretty dead - or there's something wrong with the random matchmaking.
>>
>>47223698
Shiet, that might be enough for me to fuck around in it again
>>
I remember looking at the trailers for this game and it seemed like a cute hack-n-slash

but then endgame gameplay videos looked like a bullet hell shooter
>>
Just refluff 4e or Strike!.

I liked the game and grinded out a t5 sword set (the boss infused stuff was't a thing then), but it's kinda boring, since all your advancement is stats, and like 80% of the upgrade paths aren't even worth pursuing.
>>
>>47220611
The really important question:

Playable gremlins?
>>
So red pill me on this game. What's the story? What are important bits? When will the devs who bought it back from Sega will reboot?
>>
File: Gremlin_Propaganda.png (218 KB, 440x440) Image search: [Google]
Gremlin_Propaganda.png
218 KB, 440x440
>>47227549
I don't see why not.
>>
>>47227549
. . . Holy shit I didn't even consider that. Considering Gremlins have effectively the same skillset as the Knights. . . Yes. Maybe the difference between the two is Knights have a shield ability (Able to negate up to an amount of points of damage with a refresh rate) and gremlins have uh. . . . I got nothin.

>>47227602
Basically, the Knights are an army from some far off place that crash land on a planet called Cradle. Cradle is a big fucking shell for a mechanical innard labrinth called the Clockworks, whose paths regularly reconfigure themselves as they lead deeper and deeper into the planet. With the help of a few inhabitants of the planet and a forward base of operations called Haven, it's your duty to explore this planet and recover enough parts to rebuild your spaceship. . . or something. Basically, adorable, near-robotic knights dungeon delve and kill equally adorable creatures.

And no clue, the new devs haven't done much but they've only had the license for like. . . a month.
>>
File: 6775240908_c5dfd13527[1].jpg (71 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
6775240908_c5dfd13527[1].jpg
71 KB, 500x250
>>47227653
Should've added the picture with my response :|
>>
>>47227653
Being able to breathe the air is a big benefit.

Still, I forget how good the quest of reaching the core is. For a dungeon crawler, it's a very good incentive.
>>
>>47223845
It's still really grindy though.
Alchemy orbs and heat shards.
>>
>>47228020
Yeah no for real.

So making the grind a little less for PCs would definitely be a plus for a tabletop.
>>
>>47228031
Honestly, Spiral Knights plays simple enough that it would make a great one-page game. Tiny little pick up and play thing.
>>
>>47228047
Which is why I made this thread to begin with - to settle on some rules.
>>
>>47228063
If all were doing is trying to settle on some rules for a one page adventure system style thing someone should probably take a list and see how the system goes together. I have a group of people that I play with every few weeks that would love to get their hands on a fast and loose game like this, especially since a few of them played the game way back. Is there any rules that have been kind of decided on?
>>
>>47228854
This thread is about the entirety of the discussion. There was another one a while back, but it was similarly fruitless.

What rules do you think would work best for this, Anon?
>>
File: 7263823720_36fb8c4832.jpg (148 KB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
7263823720_36fb8c4832.jpg
148 KB, 500x313
>>47228887
Well, reading through some of what the other Anons were saying, and my own thoughts, I would think that each Player would have their knight and get basic equipment at the start that they would replace slowly; their Knight could play several games over several sessions while getting new loot that either side-grades or does different things or effects.

The grid idea seems to work well with many other short games like this, and the movement-on-lines is easy to understand and make up dungeons for; Pic Related.

As for combat, I think the Action Points system would work, and could feed into the armor or equipment system for players to specialize, say, trading health or resistances for more movement or attacks per turn. Damage would need to be kept simple obviously so d6s all around, adding or multiplying for bonuses and dividing or subtracting for weaknesses.

The elemental systems could just be stolen from something like Pokemon; some elements have resistances and weaknesses for attacks, and armor could add resistances.

The system has potential, me thinks.
>>
>>47228995
Grid combat would be a must, since the game it's taking inspiration from is pretty heavily focused on movement. Positioning not so much, besides avoiding spikes.

Action points would probably also be the best way of translating combat too, since attacking is a single action that cancels out your movement (or adds movement in the case of a few weapon types).

What you described is basically exactly how the elemental system worked in the game, so that's a fine addition as any.
>>
>>47227653
Three Rings sold the property?
Will the new owners get rid of the damn Orb leveling mechanic?

It seems like we have settled on a 1 page game for this, right? I'll try to knock some stuff out for ya'll when I get off mobile in a few hours.
>>
it'd be nice if you could get spiral knight characters done in heroforge.
>>
>>47230586
Once I get a 3d printer, I will Crack open the game files and get them to work in a 3d viewer.
>>
>>47231103
I swear to god, if you actually do it....

.....well I'll wait until my finals are over before promising to design this RPG from the ground up.
>>
>>47231142
Finish your finals, Anon. The 3d printer is 3-4 months away.
>>
>>47229864
Well, at least they sold it to themselves, in a way.

Alright, /tg/, here's a choice for you. Do you want to play as Archetypes based on role (Striker/Sword User, Gunslinger, Bomber, specific-damage-typed Defender, ect) or be equipment specific Loadouts?
>>
>>47220611
I ran a spiral knights game once, infinite dungeon made of modular pieces I premade and stitched together based on some rolls as the players hit that floor. There were occasionally floors of civilization they could stop at or catch a ride to the camp at the surface. There were also a few floor 'challenge' dungeons I'd come up with encounters for manually and scatter around the dungeon, they'd divert the path but have better rewards, a bit of story, and be way tougher.

The system was just reskinned 4e.
>>
File: snarblebarble knight.jpg (34 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
snarblebarble knight.jpg
34 KB, 800x800
>>47229864
Three Rings was bought out by Sony, then dismantled. It was just a holding company with one person making sure the servers were up for like three years of its life.

Like a month ago however a group of ex-devs that escape Sony were buying up their old games to preserve them because it was likely Sony was going to LLC shell holding company then kill the games due to them being more expensive to run than they were pulling in.

Chances are low that new content will be forthcoming.
>>
>>47231574
they dropped German and French language support, likely because the former devs who bought the game don't speak the language.
While i hope that they will be able to keep the game alive, we should wait a few months to see how they handle the transition.
>>
>>47231528
did you make any mechanical changes?
How did you refluff the typed damage?
What did you do about classes?

Tell us more.
>>
Alright, so we have 4 damage types to worry about.
-Normal
-Piercing
-Elemental
-Shadow
All weapons do 1-2 damage types.
If the wiki still had images, this would be easier.
>>
>>47231441
Archetypes have limited equipment based on role and excel in their field, and are easier to write.
>>
>>47228854
I myself have suggested damage ranges for weapons, but then realized that was a stupid idea - a simple 2d6-x system would work best, if not just deciding on static damages entirely and rolling for a hit on a d6.

Somebody else suggested that the elemental damage resistance is by half (So maybe earlier ones are just -1 damage) for having lower health (Start at arbitrary 20).

The one who suggested having an AP system is probably on the right track - that way you can blend movement and action better.

Integrating shields would probably cost a significant amount of AP (Like, 1/2 to 2/3) for absorbing all the damage of a round.

Also it was suggested that we have gremlins as playable - so instead of a shield, I still haven't figured out what their special would be.

>>47228995
^^Half of what I just said was stolen from this anon combined with other anons and myself. Thank you anons.

>>47231441
Archetypes is probably for the best. So Gunslinger (Two different guns), Striker (Sword+Gun), and. . . IDK, call it Arbaelist? (Bomb+Sword), and then maybe grenadier (Gun+Bomb)

>>47232825
Yeah not sure what the fuck happened to that. Something must have gone fucked in the host migration.
>>
>>47233483
Why not have weapons do a flat rate of damage?
>>
>>47222571
>mindless and shallow
Did you expect any more from a MMORPG?
>>
>>47236172
It has a decent soundtrack and an appealing aesthetic.
>>
>>47220611
Spiral knights you say?

Woah woah fight tha powah!
>>
>>47220611
I've considered it, but never acted.
It'd be great for crawl-heavy campaigns, or even just a board game where you advance and lay down like 5x5 tiles every time you move to the end of another, with each tile having rolls for what my spawn or drop there (not unlike Zombies!!!)

I'm going to piddle about with it; I'll come back if I feel like I have paydirt.
I may be even be able to find my old notes.
Nothing revolutionary, but it's better than starting from scratch.
>>
>>47231441
I'd just stat out the rules for different actions a character can take, and then at the beginning of play each player can pick 1 or 2 things their Knight is particularly good at to get a minor but permanent bonus.

OR, if you do Classes, don't make the weapon types the classes's abilities/stats, just make it so that they're better with those weapons than the other Knights.

I really would turn it into a proper crawling RPG, with rules for like scavenging, capacity, and ambushing. Turn each dive into a proper excursion where you're looking to maximize efficiency and rewards; vs just raw hack n' slash.
To which in a concise but inclusive skill system would be preferable to static classes.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.