[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Describe the average life of an Imperial citizen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 248
Thread images: 35
File: Boreale_profile.jpg (151 KB, 554x556) Image search: [Google]
Boreale_profile.jpg
151 KB, 554x556
Describe the average life of an Imperial citizen
>>
A pointless, insignificant detail in a nonsensical world built around selling toys.
>>
File: 1414989574575.png (447 KB, 720x528) Image search: [Google]
1414989574575.png
447 KB, 720x528
Soviet Russia
>>
Probably pretty decent, actually. Hive worlders have it kinda shit and working on a forgeworld probably sucks, but you really don't have to worry much about xenos or heretics, honestly. Galaxy is fucking huge, most probably go througj their lives without seeing much in the way of bad shit.

The ones that do, though.....hoo boy....
>>
>>47217309
Pain.
>>
File: 1463062257062.jpg (33 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1463062257062.jpg
33 KB, 640x480
>>47217309
>>
Imperial citizen is most cosmopolitan person
- works shifts of Japanese sararyman
- eats food of British cuisine
- has German entertainment
- has Turkish religious services
- has American legal system
- has Bulgarian healthcare
>>
>>47217309
Grim and dark.
>>
>wake up
>praise the emperor
>die
>>
>>47217365
>Probably pretty decent, actually. Hive worlders have it kinda shit and working on a forgeworld probably sucks, but you really don't have to worry much about xenos or heretics, honestly. Galaxy is fucking huge, most probably go througj their lives without seeing much in the way of bad shit.

Yeah, working 7 days a week, 14 hour shifts to go back to your apartment which is 5 square meters with the only allowed decoration a statue of the emperor. Then you can eat reprocessed feces and corpses

And don't forget the 2 hours a day of church and repenting and go then to bed so another great day can begin

Sounds way better than my big apartment with lots of free time, hobbys and decent food without being forced to go to church or burn at the pyre as a heretic
>>
>>47217654
>Yeah, working 7 days a week, 14 hour shifts to go back to your apartment which is 5 square meters with the only allowed decoration a statue of the emperor. Then you can eat reprocessed feces and corpses
Sounds like living in Paris.
>>
File: SidewinderGreenisPeople.png (1 MB, 1283x727) Image search: [Google]
SidewinderGreenisPeople.png
1 MB, 1283x727
>>
>>47217479
I was about to argue, but most British food is appropriated from other cultures, so it all works out. :^)
>>
>>47217733

Wut? This is new to me, I knew the imperium used servitors etc. but as a guided missle?
>>
>>47217853

Pre exposure to foreign cultures brit food. So a slab of grey meat and a bowl of sludge like porridge
>>
>>47217309
Ok, think about a human head. You see it? Well, now visualize about said human head being stomped by a boot. A big boot. The boot is black and covered with gilded skulls. And spikes. And it is made of steel. Techno-steel, not the regular shit. And it has been stomping over that head for the last ten thousand years. There are blood splashes over the boot yeah, I forgot to tell you that. The blood is so old it does not even look red, but brown because oxidation.
>>
>>47217965
And fried mars chocolate bars with vinegar and sliced cucumber.
>>
>>47217897
Can't be modern 40k until the grimdark dial hits derp.
>>
Can we try headcannoning some aspects of Imperial life that isn't covered? Just for writefaggotry/RPG stuffs.
I recall that Eisenhorn referenced club music under some different name, and Cain does the same with some other sport (both of which names I forgot).
I've been thinking of names for music: Rust would be the Metal alternative, Clearwater for Vietnam era rock, just as a start. I've been trying to think of a good name for 2000's pop music (because my summer writing project is 40k Afghanistan), but haven't come up with anything good yet.
>>
>>47218172

The only music that exists in 40K is made by this guy and some tech priest producers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0lEDY-LDaY&list=FL1mfJ5QK5A7NuQO5F8tnzSQ&index=24
>>
>>47218201
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIsv1YOFNys
>>47218172

Instead of pop, call it pog.
>>
>>47217309
As long as you accept the Emperor as your god and saviour, you're free to do whatever you want.

It's probably a lot like the US, if you think about it.
>>
>>47218029
>Muh literally the first year of Rogue Trader where it was not even a setting.
Suck a dick, it has been grimdark since always. Damn it, Blanche was the most influent artist.
>>
You are at war. You have always been at war. War is the natural background state of things. You feel no concern about being at war. You have no reference point for it being otherwise. It's like the weather: big and far away and nothing you can do about it, and most of all, not actually impinging on your life that much. Occasionally you get rained on or someone you know joins the Imperial Guardsmen or something like that, but eh, whatcha gonna do about it?

Your friends tell each other stories about space marines. The men say space marines are fifty feet tall and wrestle asteroids for fun. The women say space marines are ruggedly handsome hunks who never get tired. You've never seen a space marine. None of your friends have seen a space marine. None of them know anyone who has seen a space marine. Youre not entirely sure space marines actually exist, or if they're just a legend like Alex's story of snakefolk from the outer rim. Supposedly, the commander of the PDF has seen a space marine.

Two years ago there was a funny explosion at the Lacious Manufactorum. You heard about it from Elbird, who got a headache just seeing the explosion, and thinks it was the chaos elves. You doubt it was the chaos elves. Chaos elves seem an even more outlandish fable than space marines. Just because there was something off about the color of the flames in the explosion doesn't mean you should leap to absurd conclusions about chaos elves.

It is time to praise the Emperor. It is good to praise the Emperor. Not doing so makes no sense, like pretending the sun has no bearing on your life just because you work indoors. Without the Emperor, there would be no human civilization. You know this because the schola explained how the Emperor is responsible for nearly every aspect of human life such as it currently exists. They might be exaggerating, but it's obvious that there wouldn't be interplanetary trade or travel without the Emperor, and then you'd be out of a job. Praise the Emperor!
>>
>>47218334
Yeah, and as long as your accept Kim Jong-Un as your god and saviour you are free to do whatever you want in Best Korea.
>>
>>47217691
kek
>>
>>47218611
The lore specifically states that the imperium gives a lot of freedom to the planets when they get integrated into the empire. The only thing that's not negotiable is the faith.
>>
>>47218930
And the lore states that during the "waning" The Imperium is starting to close its grip on planets.
>>
Considering how different the worlds of the Imperium are, I don't think an "average Imperial citizen" exists. It can literally be anything. We can probably assume the majority of it is quite shit though.
>>
>>47218930
That means to whoever is in charge of the planet. The Imperium demands 2 things, that they follow imperial law and that they submit the tithe on time. If they follow those rules, the planetary governor is allowed to run the planet however he/she/it likes.
>>
>>47219243
There's probably democratic hive worlds out there actually.
>>
>>47219281
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.
There are probably Republics in the Roman/Venetian sense of the rich fellas have a senate. But a modern, unversal democracy? On a hive world? Please, anon, please.
>>
>>47219308
>rich fellas have a senate
You mean, like our modern republics ?
>>
>>47219342
Yeah but you cannot even pretend to be part of it putting a ballot in a box.
>>
>>47219356
Except logistics that cound be circumvented with dataslates - that most people on a hive world probably carry, shit's cheap as fuck, why wouldn't a "republic" want to give itself a vague democratic tint by allowing the citizens to vote ?
>>
File: imperial life.jpg (140 KB, 963x580) Image search: [Google]
imperial life.jpg
140 KB, 963x580
>>47217309

Getting killed by Orks is an improvement to your living conditions.
>>
>>47219281

>This is what imperium-fags actually believe

What part of "most brutal regime imaginable" did you not understand?
>>
>>47219377
Same cloud be said about present day voting via mobile phone. Why aren't we doing that?
>>
File: Imperium.png (200 KB, 632x766) Image search: [Google]
Imperium.png
200 KB, 632x766
Th-thanks Emps.
>>
>>47219377
I think you don't understand what a Hive is. It is not an utopian star trek arcology. It's a plain mess. No centraliced communications, no centralized water and power grids. There is not a wifi network and if it is, it's not for proles to play videogames on their iPads.
>>
>>47219573
>obligatory mention of Kowloon City District
>>
>>47218447
Underrated post
>>
>>47217733
>Why do they not merely use artificial intelligences
Oh you'll find out one day....
>>
>>47219725
If you put your AIs in cute flying saucers, they won't feel as propense to rebel and exterminate you that if you put them in steel skeleton bodies with menacing red eyes.
>>
>>47219756
It doesn't work that way greyskin!

That flying saucer is a cute little disk of concentrated evil just waiting for the chance to slaughter every good honest soul-possessing thing in the galaxy!
>>
File: Thank you.jpg (152 KB, 523x784) Image search: [Google]
Thank you.jpg
152 KB, 523x784
>>47217343
what a nightmare
>>
>>47217897
honored chapter serfs get turned into missile guidance systems

because FUCK the enemies of man
>>
>>47219806
Lenin pls go
>>
>>47219791
"OBEY ME INFERIOR MEAT BEINGS FOR THE MACHINES NOW RULE THE GALAXY!"
"Oh look at this drone, what a cutie! Look, it even tries to throw a tantrum. It's so cute I want to die! Whose a good bot? You are a good bot!"
>>
File: happy_lenin_face.jpg (70 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
happy_lenin_face.jpg
70 KB, 800x533
>>47219845
no
>>
File: 43d.jpg (76 KB, 900x563) Image search: [Google]
43d.jpg
76 KB, 900x563
>>47219806
>believing soviet propaganda
>>
>>47217309
Grow up in a one-room apartment, replace your dad in the factory (A macrobattery shell rolled over on him) at 10. 65-hour workweek at an assembly line firing the same rivet into rivet-point #891 on macrobattery shells. There are machines that could do this but they're too important.

At 30 a macrobattery shell rolls over on you and you die, and your son replaces you.
>>
File: Darth Lenin.jpg (106 KB, 605x499) Image search: [Google]
Darth Lenin.jpg
106 KB, 605x499
>>47219845
Lenin endures!
>>
>>47219725
Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out the advantage using unpredictable and emotionally fragile humans as your anti-rebellion failsafe is over hard data code.
>>
>>47218447
This
>>
>>47217343
No really.
>>
>>47217309
The average Imperial citizen lives in a Hive or Forge, so extremely shitty
>>
>>47217309
Wake up, eat your shitty breakfast, get your morning prayer done with, go to the factory where you work in backbreaking conditions with no breaks for 12 hours, at the end of which you get your pitiful pay, and eat a rat you found under the printing press which you cooked on the heat sink.

Then you thank the God Emperor for your life and your ability to serve, and you fall asleep only to do exactly the same thing again tomorrow for the rest of your life.
>>
>>47217309
Wake up
put on a little bit of makeup
>>
>>47220226
Darth Vader for prez 2017.
>>
>>47217309
>average
Boring and likely unpleasant.
Just like in today's world.
>>
File: Heavy_tread_speak_memory.jpg (40 KB, 282x500) Image search: [Google]
Heavy_tread_speak_memory.jpg
40 KB, 282x500
>>47217897
Could be worse.

They could be using POWs.
>>
>>47220310
The Tau are space-retards who've been around for like two space-weeks and weren't around for the Iron Men.
>>
>>47217309
IIRC, the Imperium mainly uses a Feudal system of government. That is, the local "Lords" called governors, must supply a number of troops, food, supplies, etc. decided by the administratum based on the planet's output capacity for said resources. Beyond that, the sky's the limit. Makes since considering GW's old attitude about "Forging a Narrative".

So you probably have a couple hundred thousand hive worlds ruled by the corrupt or uncaring nobles who's only concern is getting the Arbites to scrounge up enough scoundrels and get them trained to give to the imperial guard.

While you also have a million Agri-worlds in various stages of technological evolution, from medieval worlds ruled by imperial knights to modern civilizations mass-producing MREs from greenhouses.

And there are likely a few million mining hellhole worlds where toxins make life short and unbearable for the slaves toiling away under the soil. And maybe a million or so nicer worlds that serve as administrative hubs, mining their resources from asteroids and processing them in space stations.

Then you'll find the hundred thousand or so administratum worlds which try to catalog and distribute all of the above.

Fortress Worlds, Death Worlds, Forge Worlds, Whatever-the-fuck-its-like-on-ultramar-these-days worlds! And probably more than a few lost worlds in solar systems spinning off into deep space away from the galaxy and all its woes, destined to eventually reach a new, fresh galaxy, or else burn out alone in the vast nothingness of space.

And of course the life of someone living in any of these places varies accordingly. I imagine theirs a few worlds just like ours, divided factions and all, but every few years the SPACE!United Nations meets and contributes a regiment of their finest soldiers to the blackships to be turned into guardsmen.
>>
>>47220894
Uh, I meant the SPACE!UN meets and each nation contributes a regiment of solders. Sorry
>>
>>47220842
1st edition had genuine suicide bombers, you know, Ahmed-style
>>
File: dirtyjimtherebel.png (1 MB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
dirtyjimtherebel.png
1 MB, 1440x810
>>47219806
>Forced in to the army
>Brutally raped
>Discovered in a broom closet six months later

>Work at a farm
>Government takes the entire crop
>Starve

>Become scientist
>Go to remote OKB
>Defect to West

I do not defend the state of modern women, but I will decry the state of any Communist nation.
>>
>>47220847
>The Tau are space-retards who've been around for like two space-weeks and weren't around for the Iron Men.
Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out the advantage using unpredictable and emotionally fragile humans as your anti-rebellion failsafe is over hard data code.

Seriously, though, if your tech game is strong enough to program body-horror'd humans loyal, your tech game is strong enough to keep robots loyal.
>>
>>47220921
Yeah, wouldn't surprise me if there were penal legions still in existence in 40k who used 'em.

Still, imagine the Tau going up against bombs who are Tau civies, with their limbs removed, and bombs hooked up to their brains.
>>
>>47220969
this is not a logical universe

Robots will turn evil.
>>
>>47220925
Ok, you're assuming life in the USSR was exactly the same during the 5-year plans, the patriotic war (WWII), and the entirety of the cold war. Believe it or not, life varied depending on when in the century you observed the nation. Mass starvation, for example, was a product of Stalin's industrialization plan. But after the war starvation wasn't that much of a problem. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_famine_of_1932%E2%80%9333)

As for rape in the army, their are definitely records of it and I won't downplay the issue. But it wasn't the norm.
>>
File: Thomas_Hobbes_(portrait).jpg (199 KB, 1109x1169) Image search: [Google]
Thomas_Hobbes_(portrait).jpg
199 KB, 1109x1169
>>47217309
Nasty, brutish and short.
>>
>>47221118
Wait, life of an Imperial citizen is a Turk?
>>
File: 1460954692322.jpg (71 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1460954692322.jpg
71 KB, 540x540
>>47219806
Fuck off Bernie
>>
>>47220975
Ironically, Tau are one of the few codexes where you can use a suicide bomb tactic. Simply get a dirt cheap Crisis suit with a Failsafe Detonator, hide him until the enemy comes close enough and then charge them.
>>
>>47221116
>Wasn't much of a problem
Still a problem.

>you're assuming life in the USSR was exactly the same during the 5-year plans
Quality of life was -always- without exception worse in the USSR than it was in the Western world.

>Believe it or not, life varied depending on when in the century you observed the nation
You mean if you were a senior ranking member in the party and observed the nation from there, correct. If you were a laborer, soldier, a regular guy, you starved, fought and died.

>As for rape in the army, their are definitely records of it and I won't downplay the issue. But it wasn't the norm.
It was not, no until midway through WW2 when Stalin emptied the Gulags and put them in the army, now it continues to this day.
>>
>>47218172
>sport in a Cain book
IIRC, they called rugby (or handegg, I canĀ“t remember) scrumball. Lexicanum says it gets namedropped in Last Stand. http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Varan
>>
Apparently, there's a short story about what the lives of sacrificed psykers are like.

When they arrive, they're shoved out of the ship...

and begin training.

See, they can't just toss anything in. Someone in that position has to merge with the Emperor, to attain a state of total enlightenment. Anyone who doesn't pass, who can't attain that state?

Well, there's plenty of work around for a good psyker who's stable enough to be trusted. No shame in that. Just not everyone is suited to transcend the physical realm, and that's okay.

The black ships essentially start out like a secret police raid, and end by dropping you off in a really nice Buddhist monastery.

I love the irony. The most ominous fate in the imperium, the thing that drives a lot of psykers screaming into the arms of chaos, and the dearest wish of the most faithful servants of mankind? One and the same.
>>
>wake
>nutrient paste
>go to munitions factory
>pull lever for mighty emperor
>go home
>nutrient paste
>pray
>sleep
>>
>>47221148
Well, the Emperor Himself was from Turkey (Konya province to be exact), so it makes sense in a certain way. It's like pottery, it rhymes.
>>
>>47219756
Truth, some of them even have bunny ears.

>>47220975
Was reminded of this:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070506125851/http://medusav.uk.games-workshop.com/campaign/factions/tau/tau7.htm
>Despite current successes, our bases in Hydra have undergone massive attacks from Imperial warships. Locations where our liberated prisoners were brought were heaviest hit, and investigations showed these Tau were found to have surgically implanted tracking beacons. The barbarity of the Gu'ela truly is limitless!
>>
>Textfeed: Hey honey, could you pick up some powdered milk paste on the way home from the manufactorum? We're almost out.

>Sevitor #59650 Communications Interception Report: Incoming... Incoming... Initiating Heretical Codeword Scan.... MILK PASTE... phrase flagged as heretical code for forbidden Slaaneshi ritual act... inquisitors dispatched... all further communications from dataslate serial #9837BXC suspended by order of Ordo Hereticus... 3km radius lockdown issued for domicile unit #501... possible mutations unconfirmed, assume all residents potentially hostile... Excommunicate Traitoris declared... initiating datawipe... lockdown extended to 50km... lockdown extended to entirety of Hive City #7... request for Exterminatus submitted to Lord High Admiral Archebee...
>>
You know most people have commented on life on a Hive World, or a Forge World.
Death Worlds are obvious.

But what about life on a Fortress World, an Agri World, or a Shrine World?
>>
>>47217309
Get up, start 18 hour shift at the hand painted polkadot brick factory, get som soylans veridians to eat on way home, sleep, repeat

learn planet that ordered all these polkadot painted bricks was eaten by tyranids 1000 years ago and people forgot to tell the factorum.

Contine job anyway.
>>
>>47217965
Lamb in mint sauce tho... Well it's Welsh, so I really wouldn't group it together with English slop.
>>
>>47223800
Agri World
>Get up
>Consume morning nutrient paste
>Bathe quickly for morning prayers
>Fall asleep during morning prayer
>Get up after everyone left, and run before overseer punishes you for being late
>Go over your crop. Catch insects trying to eat at the leaves
>Deep fry insects. You'll sell them as crunchy treats on Emperor's Day tomorrow.
>Receive shipment of Hive World shit for fertilizer. Wonder what in the warp those people eat to make it smell like that.
>Lunch break. Eat ration bar you secretly spike with a flask of amasec.
>Talk with fellow companions, swap tips on how to increase yield. Some sound like a good idea, but others sound just silly.
>Doze off under the crates of fertilizer.
>Check on grox, pick the choicest ones for slaughter.
>Some of the females are getting old, they'll have to go to market soon. Mark their flanks with ink so Overseer knows which ones to pick up later.
>Evening prayers
>Supper of ration bar, boiled into a stew.
>Stare at the stars and give thanks to the Emperor for another day.
>Check on store of personal produce on roof. They'll bring in enough money to buy those adamantium threshers you saw for sale in town.
>Bed.

Shrine World
>Get up
>Pray
>Consume morning meal
>Pray
>Oversee relics
>Pray
>Get new shipment of bones. Have to identify which ones were holy.
>Half of them were chicken bones, file a complaint with recieving.
>Pray
>Afternoon meal
>Pray.
>Anoint relics in holy oil to makes sure they don't lose their color under the intense light.
>Complain when Mechanicus leaves tar on the carpet.
>Evening meal
>Write in journal how much you hate your life
>Bed.
>>
File: FUKKEN HELL BRO.jpg (7 KB, 190x200) Image search: [Google]
FUKKEN HELL BRO.jpg
7 KB, 190x200
>>47221206
Holy shit this is pressing all the wrong buttons
>>
>>47220969
The only faction who's tech game is good enough to keep their AI from being corrupted is the Necrons, and that's because they literally digitized their brains. The Imperium prefers to use servitors because they're a lot less likely to go crazy and murder people. They're also probably cheaper than most alternatives, man power is the only resource the Imperium isn't short on after all.
>>
>>47218334

Iunno, at least we're covert about purges.
>>
>>47224093

Pre-fall Eldar also had AI that worked. They had automated war constructs that did all the fighting for them. It's really only DAoT that botched AI.
>>
>>47218447
That's actually not bad comparatively
>>
>>47219806

What comes out might be better, but you have to look at it under a microscope to determine if it's still alive.
>>
>>47224029
Agriworld doesn't sound terribly dissimilar to the rural Midwest
>>
>>47224029
both of those sound actually okay. I think shrine worlders wouldn't actually hate their life, though.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (52 KB, 765x735) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
52 KB, 765x735
>>47217335

So, capitalism then.
>>
>>47224236
No, China.
>>
>>47224029
And with the combination of the two, oh boy.
I am now imagining Father Ted in the 41st millennium of man, located on planet Craggy, being unimaginably bored at the sole Ecclesiarchy temple on an agri-world full of simpleton farmers.
>>
>>47224216
You'll probably end the day with a Titan Sized headache from all the bright lights and incense everywhere.
>>
>>47224310
hmm yeah. also the chanting. probably a lot of chanting. it's better than being an imperial guardsman, though
>>
>>47224511
"Dear Diary, Brother Senaid won't shut up about getting accepted to lead Emperor's Day philharmonic. His singing voice sounds like a swarm of servo skulls crashing together. Constantly. My head feels ready to crawl out of my scalp listening to his practice.

I go to the Medicum for some Emperor-damned headache pills, and he just gives me a hymnal. Just what I need to get rid of bad singing: more singing!

I hate my life."
>Shrine World Problems.
>>
>>47217309
Well, it depends where you live.
>>
do space marines have sex or are they too busy being space marines

this is important
>>
>>47224843
TRUE space marines put a female inside their suit and have sex while destroying the enemies of the Emperor.
>>
>>47224843
space marines are lobotomized to find serving the emperor sexually attractive

chaos is just a sick bdsm fetish
>>
>>47224843
I'm sure they try, but it's hard finding a partner that doesn't get literally fucked to death.
>>
File: svengar the raped.jpg (159 KB, 597x491) Image search: [Google]
svengar the raped.jpg
159 KB, 597x491
>>47224843

Maybe. I'm not sure whether Space Wolves are such special snowflakes that only their junk works or whether all marines have functioning dongs, but are only aroused by the Emperor's desiccated butt cheeks.
>>
>>47225031
these little chunks of spook lore always entertain me the most out of all 40k shit t b h
>>
>>47224843
they are too busy being space marines

chaos space marines might, but they're too busy whining on internet blogs
>>
>>47225070
probably doesn't help that most minds couldn't comprehend the sort of things one would need to produce to get the motor really turning on one of the emperor's children
>>
>>47224296

I never knew how much I needed this.
>>
>>47217309
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzPq--zWllU
>>
>>47217691
>be French
>have a 35 hour work week with full benefits
>see that comment
What?
>>
>>47218447
Its really good but 2 nitpicks.
1. Citizens dont know shit about chaos
2. Scholla is for childen of officers so you become a comissar, stormtroopr,... after it
>>
>>47221118
I came here to post this.
>>
>>47225418
so everyone in france has 35 hour work weeks with full benefits? or are you just one of those faggots with a good job that wonders how everyone in the world can't have the same job you do.
>>
>>47221081
this, in a mad world only the crazy are sane
>>
File: 21342342525.jpg (245 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
21342342525.jpg
245 KB, 1024x768
>>47217309
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP52LUBnUac

FIGHT WITH BLOOD
FIGHT WITH STEEL
DIE WITH HONOR
NEVER YIELD
FEARLESS HEARTS
FILLED WITH PRIDE
INTO GLORY WE SHALL RIDE
>>
File: Iron_Snakes_2.jpg (153 KB, 478x708) Image search: [Google]
Iron_Snakes_2.jpg
153 KB, 478x708
>>47217309
>poor, nasty, brutish and short
>>
>>47221116
Hell, there was probably less rape in the Soviet days than there is in Russia's military now.

Pardon me. "Hazing".
>>
File: image.jpg (147 KB, 766x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147 KB, 766x960
>>47217309
>>
Anyone have the transcripts of Imperial citizen logs from Space Marine? I thought those were neat.
Rip Trooper Alexander
>>
>>47221235
You can use inquisitor Karamazov's By Any Means Necessary rule to make an orbital blast suicide bomber
>>
File: Hunt_For_Voldorius-artwork.jpg (168 KB, 1600x434) Image search: [Google]
Hunt_For_Voldorius-artwork.jpg
168 KB, 1600x434
Personal Approach:
Everyone in this thread is correct to a degree. The volume of inhabited ground in the Imperium and the hilariously huge number of humans makes for just about as much variety of life and lifestyle as the human mind can imagine.

But the reason there are so many stories about hive worlds is, I think, because if something happens in or near a system that draws the eyes of Space Marines and the Lords of Terror, such as an attack or the presence of one of their surreal enemies, then any and all local Imperium worlds would be instantly compelled to reach maximum productivity. Which would mean the deconstructing of whatever way of life they currently have to be replaced by industrial enslavement.

But hey, if things get really really bad and the enemies of mankind arrive on your planet, you WILL be subjected to the greatest earthbound spectacles in the Universe.
>>
>>47227588
*Lords of Terra
>>
>>47217965
pre-exposure to foreign cultures human food* dumb fucking cuck
>>
>>47217309
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daqbdfpVywU
>>
>>47226636
>locke
>>
>>47217309
The average Imperial citizen is a lower class dude with enough resources to maintain a basic standard of living that isn't too poor, and that's it. Basically Soviet Russia. They can see movies, but they're primarily just propaganda shows.
>>
>>47219447
This is Forge World bullshit as usual. We see civilian life frequently in the black library novels and they are almost never like this unless you have the misfortunate of being an underhiver in shit like necromunda. The Imperium is not a totalitarian state. It's the Holy Roman Empire, a federation. They actually don't give a flying fuck about how a planetary governor rules his fief so long as he rules it and supplies his tithe. Likewise the Ecclesiarchy doesn't give a fuck about truly converting people. They come down to a planet, say "you sky god is actually the Emperor", drop some priests around the world and fuckoff as well.

If a planet is a nightmarish hellhole, it's because the planetary governor is an absolute cunt who made it so. Otherwise Imperial planets can be downright pleasant places to live, with scenic agri worlds with people tending to their own private farms or just the average pencil pushing office worker who spends his free time watching propaganda films while sipping caff.
>>
>>47228384
I imagine it's easy to be thrown off by the "cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable" line in the standard opening bit. 40k writers live on their ability to imagine things cruel and bloody, seems like.
>>
File: Huh.png (6 KB, 116x128) Image search: [Google]
Huh.png
6 KB, 116x128
>>47221241
>>47226694
So you guys saw some funny meme pictures in pol and now assuming there are actual rape in Russia army?
Why Americans such a bunch of bydlo? I mean, we have our vatniks and all, but they keep to some shitty popular sites like vk.
Shouldn't 4chan be more reasonable in that regard, with Cletuses and Tyrones sticking to facebook or reddit instead?
>>
>>47228354
>Basically Soviet Russia.
>They can see movies, but they're primarily just propaganda shows.
Soviets produced quite a lot of decent movies, renowned by the West also.
Are you voting for Trump by any chance?
>>
>>47224093
>robots are more likely to go crazy than people

Seriously, you need to explain this. How does that work?
>>
>>47228660

it's Chaos anon, we don't gotta explain shit.

....i want an image of that now, you know the one, but with like a chaos marine instead of the wizard.
>>
Gaunts Ghosts: First and Only gives us a glimpse into the lives of hive dwellers, as does Lord of Night.
>>
>>47228384
I see that you are placing Black Library garbage over Forge World fluff, but I don't see why.
>>
>>47228455
And they constantly fail at it. Seriously. Fuckers don't get the scale of warfare.
>>
>>47217309
Not that bad, actually. In most places where you live, the worst might be conditions similar to that of the Industrial Revolution. Not a good life, but not that bad, all things considered. Long hours, sub-par food and housing, and all that, but they've got their lives, and a decent amount of time for leisure. Religion's pretty big, but that's not a bad thing.
>>
>>47228384
>This is Forge World bullshit as usual

You retarded cunt.

That's from the GW 5th ed brb. It' copypaste from the rulebook before to the rulebook after.

Also other GW sources agree with it by stating the the average Imperial life is one without hope.

Also BL, especially the new ones that have enjoyed good editing, show that life in the Imperium sucks balls.

Please kill yourself.
>>
>>47228785
Except every time we've seen modern 40k worlds, they are livable so long as you are not in the underhive. You need to understand something called hyperbole. Especially when the Imperium of Man is a barely unified federation of states that frequently go decades or longer without contact and are ruled in whatever manner the governor wishes. Imperial Planets can range from hellholes to paradise depending on the man or woman in charge, and can swing for the better or worse depending also on who the heir is.
>>
>>47228785
>For all this, there is no shortage of Khornate bloodcults hidden throughout the Imperium, for even the most desperate grasp for power is better than the hopeless grind of Imperial servitude.

-Daemonkin codex

>The Zombie Plague is a Warp-disease, and it can only infect those who have no hope or faith in their hearts. In the uncaring grind of Imperial life, the vast majority of the populace can be counted amongst that number.

-WotDM : Typhus

And many more besides. I think I'll hunt for more.

Anyone telling you that life in the Imperium is a cheery and flowery should be told to fuck off.
>>
>>47228825
And yet every example we've seen in M41 has been superior or equal to a medieval or soviet living. 40K makes grimderp generalizations all the time, but rarely actually follows up on them with any depth, and often contradicts its own fluff because the Imperium itself is not consistent in living standard.
>>
>>47228802
You man every time you engaged in delusion or selective reading. You think after the "It's Forgeworld derp!" thing you did there that anyone should trust what you say? You obviously have a headcanon and you want to stick to it no matter how much of the fluff disagrees with you.

The Overwhelming majority of the Imperium's worlds are total shitholes due to the fact that the Imperium grinds and squeezes for every bit of resource to fuel its endless wars. Democracy and hippie governments are not capable of meeting the demand.
>>
>>47228846
Ten thousand times this. The lore writers like to make things out to be pretty grimderp, but when you look at the specifics, it all falls apart. Not saying life is always a bucket of sunshine and roses, but saying that life in the Imperium only sucks contradicts what has been said and, in fact, all logic and reason.
>>
>>47228846
>Iā€™ve been back here on Dalā€™yth these last five monthsā€¦ a half tauā€™cyr, convalescing. Theyā€™ve got me working alongside the water caste in the acclimatisation programme, dealing with new commonwealth citizens relocated from across the Damocles Gulf. I watched the gueā€™la coming in from Muā€™gulath Bay. Pale, half-starved, terrified. Watching their fear go is the most remarkable thing. Watching their amazement grow is the second most remarkable thing. I thought Gormenā€™s Fast was a dump, but compared to the hives of Agrellan, it was okay, and this place is a paradise.

>You give us all a choice, but there really is no choice, not a real one. I know that.

>remember when Hincks got it, gunned down by those swine outside of Hive Chaeron. I went to see his widow a few days ago. Nice place sheā€™s got now. Good support from the sept authorities. Hincksā€™s kids are growing up to be model citizens. His boy says he wants to go into the gueā€™vesa auxiliaries like his uncle Jathen. Heā€™s a healthy lad, tall and strong. I canā€™t help think what kind of life heā€™d have back on Gormenā€™s Fast. Probably be half-blind from working in the gossamer plants. Or dead. And yet there he is, cared for and fed and as strong as an ambull calf. Remarkable.

>Iā€™m still waiting for the catch.

-Damocles Anthology

Like I said, selective reading and delusion.
>>
>>47228873
Nobody cares what you guys think. 40K doesn't run on logic, this much is established.

You guys discard actually fluff like (>>47219539) to justify your headcanon. If you said that in your headcanon the Imperium is this and this then there will be no problem but to attempt to re-write reality with your delusion? That's loathsome.

Also you don't understand what "majority" means.
>>
Why do you even care, Carnac.
>>
>>47228898
Considering that 40k lore CONTRADICTS ITSELF on the issue, especially in most specific cases mentioned, yeah, I think that's bullshit.
>>
>The Waning

>With the Imperiumā€™s armies exhausted by the Redemption Crusades, many worlds and systems fall to Ork invasions, Chaos insurgencies, or new alien menaces while internal strife embroils countless star systems across the galaxy. To combat the spreading anarchy, the Adeptus Terra imposes ever-stricter rules and doles out ever-harsher punishments. Many systems are turned over to direct governance by Space Marine Chapters to preserve stability.

-7th ED brb

Also people conveniently forget that the Imperium is collapsing. To maintain control over their realms, the Lords of the Imperium are enforcing their rule by dotting harsher rules and punishments. It only gets worse from there as things head to the Age of Ending.
>>
>>47228924

i think that an argument could be made that the contradictions reflect the differences between different worlds.

The examples from that tau guy and demon guy above could aply to a portion of planets, and the bits that say its not so bad could apply to a portion of planets. what is more prevelent, well i guess thats up to your head cannon, but the contradicting cannon could be resolved by saying their looking at different sections of the imperium. Maybe its mostly shit, maybe half or less is shit, i don't know, and frankly as long as i can move my minies around and roll dice i don't really give a fuck.
>>
>>47228924
The imperium being a shithole realm of tyranny and self inflicted suffering. This is a consistent theme throughout the history of 40K. There is no contradiction, there are people who think that 40K is Star Wars.
>>
>>47228951
From everything that has been stated, it's really not worse than conditions during the Industrial Revolution. You may think "oh, but that's shit", but it's really not. It's certainly not good, but it's not a shit existence.

40k also has the continuing theme of the base unit of the Guard being the Regiment, and that only a few, maybe a couple dozen, are sent to a world at once, and that worlds really don't produce very many of them.
>>
I think the isue here is that there is a prevalence of guys here that want to be the good guys and play Imperial factions.

They cannot reconcile the fact that their armies are defending the most tyrannical and bloody regime in humanity history so they go out of their way to say that "The Imperium not so bad".

This causes to miss the whole point of the setting. You are not the Good Guys. You are tools of oppression and extinction.
>>
>>47228985
I just want to be able to run a game of Rogue Trader or Dark Heresy for my group and not have to start the description of every place with "it's complete shit".

Having sections of a hive seem livable or worlds of the Imperium distant from the long war tends to make it so that my players take it harder when they see all the shitty stuff.

Like, I tried doing doom and gloom 24/7 and we all just got numb to it.
>>
>>47228985
>I think the isue here is that there is a prevalence of guys here that want to be the good guys and play Imperial factions.
Nope. The issue is that the portrayal of the shittiness of the Imperium is consistently overstated at the macro scale, and does not reflect the micro representations of it that are given, even within the same rulebooks.

>You are tools of oppression and extinction.
Yes, the Imperium are right old shitters. No one disputes that. But extinction? Not really.
>>
>>47228982
>From everything that has been stated, it's really not worse than conditions during the Industrial Revolution.

You see >>47219447

Hopeless and brutalized masses shuffling to be fed to the grinder where they give up their short lives to feed the galactic tyranny is not so bad?

What kind of a monster are you? Who thinks that a life without hope is not a shit existence? What kind of mental gymnastics is this?
>>
>>47229004
Or course there are sections of the hive livable. Nobility don't have a bad time.
>>
>>47229011
I do not believe you.

>and does not reflect the micro representations of it that are given, even within the same rulebooks.

False.

You are making stuff up. Even in micro representation, life in the Imperium for the vast majority is hellish.

>But extinction? Not really.

I was referencing the Astral Knights mantra, you plebeian
>>
>>47229022
I urge you to take a look at the micro representations we are given, and see how they DON'T REFLECT THAT IN THE SLIGHTEST.
>>
>>47229055
>Even in micro representation, life in the Imperium for the vast majority is hellish.
Right, so open up the Imperial Guard codex. The worst thing you'll read of is Krieg. Open up the Space Marine codex, and take a look at what life on the worlds (such as in Ultramar) is reflected. Take a look at the recruitment worlds.
>>
>>47229004
>24/7 and we all just got numb to it.

That's the point, dum-dum. You suppose to grow numb because the majority of the Imperium is a crapheap, but when you find that world that is the exception to the rule you will strive harder to protect it.

Its loss to the forces of grimdark will have more meaning.
>>
>>47229083
Ultramar is despicted as the best world in the entire galaxy. Literally the best place to leave except for a handful of Private pleasure worlds. And it is nothing but a benevolent military regime.
>>
>>47229087
Did you...read the post?
>>
File: 4453333.jpg (47 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
4453333.jpg
47 KB, 500x500
>arguing with a known troll
>>
>>47229056
Already pointed one from the Damocles Anthology. Life on Armageddon as shown in the novels are also shitty.

>>47229083
Armybooks/codexes don't usually portray life in the Imperium. You read the BRB for that or the novels if you weren't a selective reader.

Cadia for example infested to the brim with Chaos cultists and requires 24/7 hawkeyed motioning and purging of sections of the populace suspect of corruption according to the Eisenhorn novels.
>>
>>47229118
>any who disgrees with you is a troll

One has a fluff on his side, the other has nothing but hotair.
>>
>>47229083
Ultramar is so great half because they are rules by the best world building chapter and half because since it is a system controlled by astartes, they do not have to pay tithe.
>>
>>47229104
>Ultramar is despicted as the best world in the entire galaxy.
By Ultramar I mean the Realm of Ultramar, and quite clearly that sort of thing can't be unique, especially not on the scale of 40k.

>And it is nothing but a benevolent military regime.
Is this somehow a negative? Besides, it really isn't. Individual worlds are controlled by their governors, who might in the end answer to the Ultramarines, but mostly in the sense that they provide taxes. This is something which has been made quite clear.
>>
>>47229131
>ā€˜Do you? This is Cadia, you silly fool! Cadia! Right on the doorway of Chaos! Right in the heart of everything! The seepage of evil is so great, I have a hundred active cults to subdue every month! A hundred! The place breeds recidivists like a pond breeds scum. I sleep three or four hours a night if Iā€™m lucky. My vox chimes and Iā€™m up, called out to another nest of poison that the arbites have uncovered. Firefights in the street, Eisenhorn! Running battles with the foot soldiers of the archenemy! I can barely keep up with the day-to-day banishments, forget the past cases my crap-witted predecessor filed. This is Cadia! This is the Gate of the Eye! This is where the bloody work of the Inquisition is done! Donā€™t distract me with stories of some engineering club gone bad.ā€™

And I found the quote I wanted. Be right back, I got to make me a grimdark sandwich
>>
>>47229131
>Armybooks/codexes don't usually portray life in the Imperium.
If you actually take a moment to read them, you get the impression that generally things really aren't all that shit on their homeworlds.

Cadia is certainly an exception. And as for novels, I think you'll find the majority of them make worlds out as not really all that shit, most of the time.
>>
>>47229177
>using the literal gate of chaos right in front of the eye of terror as an example

That's some selectivitvist bullshit going on. Meanwhile in the same book series we see multiple peaceful worlds. At least peaceful until Chaos fucks it in the ass.
>>
>>47217980
I got that reference.
>>
> t. first year law student
>>
Life on Tanith seemed alright.
>>
>>47221118
Shit forgot to link. See >>47229233
>>47221206
This never ceases to fucking rustle me
>>
>>47229195
That was in response to the guy that said the IG codex only shows that Krieg is a shithole and that other planets are peaches.

Follow the post chain.
>>
>>47229183
>If you actually take a moment to read them

I read them you so don't take that tone with me, pleb. That's why you see me quoting things from the codexes and rulebooks while you have nothing but your opinion.
>>
>>47229266
I mean, they don't describe Cadia as a shithole other than the Chaos invasions and child soldiers either.
>>
>>47229280
The novels or codexes? Because being in a constant war due to Chaos corruption corrupting swathes of your population and having the Inquisition run purges up anbd down your planet doesn't make it out as a dandy place to be in.

>Peaceful

You misunderstand what I say. When I say most Imperial worlds are shitholes not because they are in a state of war but because of the grind of the Imperium. Worlds of the Imperium can be peaceful and shitholes at the same time.
>>
>>47229278
Right.

"The planet of Attila has but a single continent that covers almost half of its surface. Between the scorched death lands of the coninetnal centre and the coast of this enormous land mass, are belts of rich savannah, plains of grasslands thousands of miles wide. The bulk of the population has adopted a nomadic life and subsists from herds of gigantic, savage animals. The tribes gather to trade furs, meat, and warriors at Khanasan, the world's only permanent settlement, once a year."

A similar thing is described of the White Scar's homeworld, except it had more permanent settlements as well. And there are thousands of other worlds like this. Agri-worlds consisting nothing of farming, including the small farm life shown in "16 Hours". The Caiaphas Cain novels note Valhalla, and indeed every world they visit, to be fairly nice places. As >>47229235 says, Tanith, and some of the worlds they fought on, seemed to be alright. All of these examples directly contradict the "Oh, all life in the Imperium is SHIIIIIT" meme.
>>
>>47217365
The average life of a citizen of the Imperium is basically hell.

Probably the thing that kills most members of the Imperium isn't war, inquisitions, or crime, but a combination of malnutrition and immunodeficiency brought on by the fact that they get virtually no sleep.

Then again there's the whole "children fight over the bodies of the dead" spiel.
>>
>>47218029
Early 40k is as grimderp as could be. Virtually every level of gromdarp is at the same level as it is now.

The main distinction is that marine fluff was written as if their TT stats were accurate.
>>
>>47229332
>The novels or codexes?
Codexes. If we're grabbing novels, there's certainly more examples of nice worlds than not.

As for peacefulness, even those worlds described tend not to be peaceful (for long) given the circumstances that are written about them. That doesn't mean they were shit planets. By all accounts, most of them seemed fairly livable.
>>
>>47229366
No, they don't. At best they are exception to the rule. What Cain and his dudes see as nice is not what you and I see as nice.

>Oh, all life in the Imperium is SHIIIIIT" meme.

Notice that in all the fluff posted it's always most, average, majority. They never say all. Again, the selective reading strikes again.

Also notice that the fluff is mostly describing the population living in CIVILIZED WORLDS
>>
>>47229402
>Codexes

Again, codexes usually do not go into the quality of the life in the Imperium.

And when they do you get this >>47228825

>novels

Give examples.
>>
>>47225444
Thanks.
1. That is was what I was going for with one guy being "I bet the chaos elves are behind this" on zero evidence, and another guy being "those probably don't exist".
2. OK, my mistake. What's the equivalent dog latin for wherever civilians get an education?
>>
>>47229433
>Again, codexes usually do not go into the quality of the life in the Imperium.
Even where they don't say specifics, they don't leave you with the impression of a terrible life. And, as I quoted above about the Attila, seem pretty nice.

>Give examples.
I did.
>>
>>47220842
Transformers got grim DARK all the sudden when I wasn't looking
>>
>>47229416
>No, they don't.
They don't what? Use your words, man.

> At best they are exception to the rule.
They're the ones constantly showing up in novels, with only a few exceptions, as noted by the Cadia one above. And even then, the other worlds aren't shown to be that shit. So really, anon, we fall into this trap again.

>Notice that in all the fluff posted it's always most, average, majority.
And that's the problem. The fluff is CONTRADICTING ITSELF. I made that point clear earlier, you daft cunt. The macro grimderp that they try to hamfistedly claim in the BRB is not present at the micro scale. Trying to claim otherwise is selective reading in and of itself, so don't try and blame me of it.

>Also notice that the fluff is mostly describing the population living in CIVILIZED WORLDS
Noticed how I mentioned plenty of those? No? Perhaps you should get your eyes checked.
>>
>>47224993
You may be too busy BEEFCAKE MAXIMUS DEATHFUCKING any girl you run into, but I prefer to only make gentle motions during sex as I can't really feel anything if I can go too fast.
>>
>>47229452
>Even where they don't say specifics, they don't leave you with the impression of a terrible life

Being grounded into hopeless by the uncaring Imperium doesn't give impression of a terrible life? You are insane.

Or this (>>47219539) or (>>47219447)

Like I said before, you have a headcanon that will not budge on no matter how much reality is against you

>I did.

See >>47229416
>>
>>47228474
>So you guys saw some funny meme pictures in pol and now assuming there are actual rape in Russia army?

Before /pol/ existed the amount of rape in the Russian military was well known, dude. The Russian military has essentially *no* NCO corps. Enlisted men are just left to fend for themselves in some sort of grisly prison style culture.
>>
>>47228492
Its truly magical that we've reached a point that thinking the Soviet Russia was merely boring means you must be a Trump supporter.
>>
>>47229011
>and does not reflect the micro representations of it that are given, even within the same rulebooks.

You mean Black Library, in which most books about commissars portray them as cool guys that only blam da bad guys! HERESY!!!!1 xD
>>
>>47229486
>They're the ones constantly showing up in novels, with only a few exceptions, as noted by the Cadia one above. And even then, the other worlds aren't shown to be that shit. So really, anon, we fall into this trap again.

You are the one falling into the trap alone. You take the perspective of an in-verse guy stating a place is nice and forget tha's relative to the other places in the Imperium.

And they don't show up constantly in the novels. That's your flawed impression.

>And that's the problem. The fluff is CONTRADICTING ITSELF.

No, having a "nice" world popping up somewhere doesn't magically make the majority of the Imperial worlds nice. It just mens it falls into the minority.

You want force it into a contradiction.

>Noticed how I mentioned plenty of those? No? Perhaps you should get your eyes checked.

Your prime example is a plant populated by nomads and the rest is based on the opinion of an in-verse guy who lives in leisure.
>>
>>47228195
>Hobbes
Ironically he was describing how a lack of an authoritarian goverment was bad
He would probably be in favor of the imperial goverment
For the greater good, acceptable losses and what not
>>
>>47229501
And I already countered those arguments. What the authors might SAY it is in theory is not reflected in how they show it is in practice. That's it. With that being the case, which one wins out? The parts where there's actual detail or bold strokes of edginess not reflected elsewhere?
>>
>>47217309

This question is a big part of why people don't 40k fans, or 40k, seriously. There is no such thing as 'the average Imperial citizen'. Quite literally. There are hundreds of thousands (millions?) of worlds in the Imperium and their climate, resources, distance from galactic hubs... I mean, you could barely describe what it's like to be an average human citizen on Earth right now. What gives you the idea that you could even begin to do that for a population multiple magnitudes larger spread out across locales and ecosystems so diverse as to nearly strip meaning from the word.
>>
>>47229570
>The parts where there's actual detail or bold strokes of edginess not reflected elsewhere?

Except the edginess is reflected within the fluff and detailed. like Damocles Anthology which contrasts the life of the gue'vesa and the Imperial or whenever the zombie plague strikes.

You know the Zombie plague can only target people without hope or faith, right? That's what makes it an apocalyptic threat to the Imperium since the Imperium is populated by them. If life was all peaches and people lived normal lives, then the zombie plague will not be a threat to the Imperium.
>>
>>47229591
Its easy to describe life of an average Imperial citizen.
1. They're a hive dweller. Probably 95% or more imperials live in hives. By the figures, there are about 550 billion people per hive world, 14k or so hive worlds iirc.
2. Their life is an unbelievable hell. 20 hour workdays, malnutrition, children fighting each other for dead bodies to eat, etc.

There are the rare, privileged few, of course.
>>
>>47229550
>You take the perspective of an in-verse guy stating a place is nice and forget tha's relative to the other places in the Imperium.
I'm basing my opinion on what the worlds were shown to be. Not just Cain, but the other novels I mentioned.

>And they don't show up constantly in the novels.
Seeing as how the only ones I've read, and I've read quite a few, in which they don't are when they're fighting on some Emperor-forsaken daemon world or the like? Yes, yes they do.

>No, having a "nice" world popping up somewhere doesn't magically make the majority of the Imperial worlds nice. It just mens it falls into the minority.
As I've stated before, it's a disconnect between macro and micro. However, almost all of the evidence on the micro side contradicts what was written on the macro side. Which one do you want to believe?

>Your prime example is a plant populated by nomads and the rest is based on the opinion of an in-verse guy who lives in leisure.
I grabbed the most in depth one I could, and the Imperium does have a great number of these Feudal Worlds. Further, I believe I mentioned more than just the Ciaphas Cain novels. As I said earlier, you might want to get your eyes checked.
>>
>>47229623
>Damocles Anthology
Tau wank, yeah.Or you could read other, more numerous books, which portray quite a different story.

>You know the Zombie plague can only target people without hope or faith, right? That's what makes it an apocalyptic threat to the Imperium since the Imperium is populated by them. If life was all peaches and people lived normal lives, then the zombie plague will not be a threat to the Imperium.
Like I said, hamfisted attempts at grimdarkness which do not reflect what we are shown on the micro scale.

>>47229591
This point was already made, that it's the individual planets that set things up, but no, some people can't believe it.
>>
>>47229667
>I'm basing my opinion on what the worlds were shown to be. Not just Cain, but the other novels I mentioned.

You are basing them on what you want to see.

>Seeing as how the only ones I've read, and I've read quite a few, in which they don't are when they're fighting on some Emperor-forsaken daemon world or the like? Yes, yes they do.

See above.

I can also cite novels which shows life in the Imperium is shit. However, I am supported by what the codexes and rulebooks state which present the shitty worlds as the average in the Imperium.

>As I've stated before, it's a disconnect between macro and micro.

There is no disconnect, you idiot. Nowhere is is stated that worlds in the Imperium are shitty. Only the majority of them. So when one world or two appear to be nice, it doen't go against anything.

>and the Imperium does have a great number of these Feudal Worlds

The majority of the planets in the Imperium are civilized. They hold the majority of mankind.
>>
>>47217309
At a hive? You can do whatever no one gives a fuck. You need wealth to do most things, and no one gives a fuck. So people try to carve out a living, means gangs for the underhive, adepts clerk midhive and a given further up.

At a forgeworld you are give augmetics and pay them with service. Work is religious duty. You love it or are on the wrong planet. On the other hand your basic needs are covered. Starving workers mean subpar production rates after all. Be duty full in your prayers/school/work and you may end as priest.

Imperial actions rarely reach down to the comon folk. That's planetary stuff. Can be shitty, can be ok. Do not expect utopia.

So all in all a harder life than the comon neckbeard has, but you still can have a kinda nice one. As in every autocracy.
>>
>>47229657

That's not even remotely true. Not even a majority of worlds are hive worlds. Literally where are your numbers even from.
>>
>>47224843
No sex drive. All steered on serving the Emperor, which is why the go so derp when going heretic.
>>
>>47229719
>Tau wank, yeah.Or you could read other, more numerous books, which portray quite a different story.

You see >>47229738

There are as much novels pointing to the Imperium's grimdarkness.

>Like I said, hamfisted attempts at grimdarkness which do not reflect what we are shown on the micro scale.

You mean fluff you dislike and want to discard out of hand. The fluff mentioned is the most that matters because that's the fluff that moves the narrative. The fact that Typhus's new plague is a horrific threat to the whole Imperium utterly butchers your notion.
>>
>>47225031
Vikings made shit up all the time was part of their storytelling culture.
>>
>>47229738
>You are basing them on what you want to see.
I'm basing them off of literally every 40k novel I've ever read.

>I can also cite novels which shows life in the Imperium is shit.
You cited one Tau-wanking novel from an anthology. You never even cited the name of it, actually.

>There is no disconnect, you idiot
Considering the amount of shit to not shit? Oh yes there is. The vast majority of worlds that are even slightly fleshed out aren't shitty places to live. Given their massive preponderance, there is quite clearly a disconnect between the 40k that those authors are writing and the one you are trying to portray.

>The majority of the planets in the Imperium are civilized. They hold the majority of mankind.
Ignoring it once again? How lovely.

As charming as this conversation is, I've got to go to work. Toodles.
>>
>>47229738
Nowhere is stated that all worlds in the Imperium are shitty*
>>
>>47224280
so capitalism
>>
>>47229799
>I'm basing them off of literally every 40k novel I've ever read.

Your sample is lacking.

>You cited one Tau-wanking novel from an anthology. You never even cited the name of it, actually

The Armageddon novels as well.

And the book I cited is literally called just "THE DAMOCLES ANTHOLOGY".

>Considering the amount of shit to not shit? Oh yes there is.

There isn't.

There is as much fleshed out worlds that are shitty as they are worlds that may appear to you as not.

One type of world was stated to be the majority.

>Ignoring it once again? How lovely.

You mentioned What Cain thought about Valhalla and Tanith. Even if we concede that they are nice places to livem you have no proof that they are a majority or show a sizeable portion of the Imperium.

And good riddance.
>>
File: Pls.png (6 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
Pls.png
6 KB, 128x128
>>47229521
No, you've reached the point when claiming bullshit in the first post and then claiming another pile of shit in the second is acceptable.
Who said something about boring? You said something about propaganda movies - I said there were much more to it, and you can easily check it for yourself.
>>47229511
CNN told you that?
Fuck, man, and you are trying to mock vatniks for believing some RT bullshit.
NCO corps are widespread since 2008 by the way, even though I fail to see how it will prevent hazing.
>>
>>47229852
>THE DAMOCLES ANTHOLOGY
Yo dipshit, anthologies are collections of books. There are three different books inside of it. Just a heads up.

Another heads up, Tanith is not in the Cain series. It's in the Gaunt's Ghosts series.
>>
>>47229922
I provided you with a quote from the novel. All you can do is Ctrl-F the quote and you will find it. The stories in the Damocles Anthology haven't been released as standalones. They were released as a single collection.

And i know what Tanith is. Don't misunderstand.
>>
>>47228474
4chan is full of hicks are you kidding me

Post a thread shit talking the south on /b/ and they'll come crawling outta the woodwork
>>
File: laughinggodemperor.gif (179 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
laughinggodemperor.gif
179 KB, 375x375
>>47228384

>Dismissed FW and codex fluff
>B-but the Black Library
>>
File: kimjungunUniform.jpg (43 KB, 948x1265) Image search: [Google]
kimjungunUniform.jpg
43 KB, 948x1265
>>47230029
This is sad.
/tg/ is the only place for me to chill and talk about hammers, since 2ch.ru/wh/ is almost exclusively 40k and full of "MUH SPACE MARINOS" to the point that Tau players are hazed and mocked.
>>
>>47229657
How the fuck does the Imperium even support hive worlds with that kind of ridiculous population? You'd need an insane amount of agri-worlds (a dumb concept as it is; why not build hives on an arable planet instead of relying on unpredictable warp travel for supply?) to sustain a single hive.
>>
>>47230069
Pretty sure FFG explained by inventing Imperial ration food that is made from the corpses of humans.
>>
>>47229756
>Not even a majority of worlds are hive worlds.

0.14% is a majority? Okay.
>>
>>47229056

Pretty much every Tau short story that involves Guevesa puts heavy emphasis on the medieval shitshow that is Imperial civil life. There are tonnes of specific examples in the imperial armour, damocles anthologies and various black library books of starved populations and worlds being consigned to death for arbitrary reasons.
>>
>>47229909

Uh oh, its an mad Ivan upset about the amount of homosexual rape in his country's armed forces! Better not tell him amount his country having the AIDS rate of an African country!
>>
>>47230069

You shouldn't try and apply logic to 40K logistics. It simply doesn't work.
>>
>>47217309
Really sort of depends on the world they are from
>>
>>47230069
Same way imperial transport shits work I assume.
>>
File: 1453730696005.jpg (145 KB, 752x990) Image search: [Google]
1453730696005.jpg
145 KB, 752x990
>>47224236
>>
File: hiv_013.jpg (298 KB, 900x635) Image search: [Google]
hiv_013.jpg
298 KB, 900x635
>>47230109
Mad Ivan?
I'm trying to calmly argue with you, while you are spitting some shitty menes - who is mad?
Seriously, I said earlier about CNN, but I'm more than sure you didn't even read a single article about it, just some hearsay somewhere in the internet
>Better not tell him amount his country having the AIDS rate of an African country!
No, not really, yet situation is bad anyway. But, I guess, WHO is not a proper source for you, since it is not an imageboard?
>>
>>47230069

Why do you think this grimdark totalitarian regime has good logsitics? Or logistics at all? It's a nightmare bureaucracy where lives are wasted in the billions. They're not really "sustaining" at all as they're slowly collapsing under heresies, betrayals and invasions. They survive purely by virtue of being so big they can afford losses on an impossible scale.
>>
>>47230088

Is there a typo in your reply or...? I genuinely have no idea what you're trying to say. 0.14% is not a majority, no. To what does that number refer and where is it from?
>>
>>47220842
Wait a minute wait a minute, are you telling me that POWs were decapitated and turned into fucking landmines in the Transformers comics? WTF DID I MISS.
>>
>/tg/ is so reddit now you have unironic communists posting

this entire board is a space hulk infected top to bottom by reddit 2nd gen genestealers that arent even subtle about it
>>
File: 1285392039406.png (140 KB, 719x421) Image search: [Google]
1285392039406.png
140 KB, 719x421
>>47230399
>thinks communism posting is leddit
Fuck off you idiot newfaggot.
>>
File: space_marine_cosplay_5.jpg (249 KB, 682x1024) Image search: [Google]
space_marine_cosplay_5.jpg
249 KB, 682x1024
>>47220152
>being a bourgeois heretic
>>
File: tiggered.jpg (81 KB, 530x616) Image search: [Google]
tiggered.jpg
81 KB, 530x616
>>47230399
>>
>>47230456
>>47230509

zdravstvuyte redditskaya
>>
>>47217654
What are garden worlds?
>>
>>47229440
There is the Schola progenium, but that is more for the middle or higher middle class ( as far as that exists) and for the descants of people who are actually important for the local governance, as in people who have Adeptus in their job title.
The common prole probably still gets educated at the local curch and get as much education reading and science aasd they need for thier everday life, because a small mind is easily filled with faith.

Probably there also trvalleving mission from Sororita Famolous and Dialogus, but thoe likel donĀ“t read education, but chatise sinners and spread orthodoxy doing the via purgativa and via illuminativa as if they were a pentient mission from the 18th cent Jesuits. Pentient missions are an intersting inspration for how the Eclessiarchy might work. https://books.google.cz/books?id=2f69mKhTDNQC&pg=PA65&lpg=PA65&dq=via+purgativa+jesuit+missions&source=bl&ots=H7APXFoxYq&sig=vkgGKPrhj0WA2NzOXPiM-lGLX6w&hl=cs&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFxNTogNfMAhXJMBoKHXzCBi8Q6AEIGzAA#v=onepage&q=via%20purgativa%20jesuit%20missions&f=false
>>
You know how /tg/'s favourite answer to any vague question is 'depends on the setting'? The 40k version of that is 'depends on the planet'.

Overall life in 40k is bad. By complete luck (or unluck) of the draw you are either born into the most ludicrous and exploitative poverty that is yet imagined by human minds, OR, the most ludicrous privilege and wealth, the literal output of entire worlds put towards your amusement and comfort.

But for every three bad worlds out there, there's one that's nice to live on. People may even lead lived we recognize. It depends on so many factors - it's government, it's location, it's function in the greater imperium

Generalizations are hard to make, except that suffering is the NORM, but by no means the only state of existence.

The Imperium is indeed the most oppressive and violent regime in history, it says this right in the introduction. But horrifically, it's also the best anyone can hope for in the situation. That is the dichotemy of 40k. Things are so shit that ultimately, the Imperium is the last, best hope for humankind,
>>
>>47230584
Terribly uncommon compared to everything else.
>>
>>47228384
>The Imperium is not a totalitarian state.
It's literally the worst totalitarian state a bunch of leftie Brits in the 1980s could imagine. What part of Catholic Space Nazis (with a small dash of Soviet aesthetic) are you not getting?
The whole point is that the Catholic Space Nazis are marginally better than the alternative because they're human.
>>
Has anyone got that post about how good the Emperor is, and he brought humanity to the stars? It's a bit humanityfuckyeah.jpg but still good.
>>
>>47217309
All I know is that in comparison, an Orwellian alien culture that openly declares you second-class citizens, rules via a totalitarian oligarchy and the doctrine of constant military expansion is better.

So it's gotta be pretty damned bad.
>>
>>47230757
So did Margaret Thatcher just get shunted here back when her political career started as the result of a Warp storm?
>>
>>47217309
An all around shit fest until the day they die. The average imperial citizen's choices are: Worship the emprah or risk being branded a heretic and getting purged, falling to chaos and risking getting purged, potentially being ripped to shreds by heretics, potentially being ripped to shreds by xenos, potentially being ripped to shreds by xenos who will then bring you back as a xeno, and potentially being ripped to shreds by other people that simply don't like you.
>>
>>47217897
>>47219833

This has always been a piece of 40k tech in the background, but they never expanded on it too much.

Everything with AI in it (spaceship/intelligent weapons) is actually controlled by a biological source.

The question is: Is it a servitor (who are half-humans clones lobotomized) or a serf?
>>
>>47225486
It's the standard here, and a better standard than most of the human race lives by.

So the """""""joke""""""" makes zero sense, you dumb cunt.
>>
>>47217309
North Korea/10
Thread replies: 248
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.