[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thieves World Table top
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: thieves world.jpg (547 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
thieves world.jpg
547 KB, 1200x1600
Well my friends, i come to you today with a find that really made my year. i found a copy of THIEVES WORLD TABLETOP ADVENTURE. if you are unaware, Thieves World was a series written by multiple fantasy writers in the late 70's. very well done, with great world building. anyone know anything about this? im looking through it right now and i am very excited.
>>
>>47202455
I have it too but I never played it. I also have some of the novels - it was a setting where every writer could introduce own characters that could interact with characters from other writers, if they respected some rules.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thieves%27_World

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Thieves_World_characters

>Molin Torchholder
I used him in a RPG game ... some 20 years ago.
>>
>>47202620
i love tempus. ive built many a fighter based off of him. this book series is very important to me. hows it play?
>>
>>47202655
ah, never mind missed the never played it
>>
>>47202455

This sounds really neat. I gotta find the first book lol. I need a new series since Thorn of Emberlain isn't out and I just finished Witcher.
>>
>>47202872
check thrift stores and garage sales if you cant find it online. i have all of them, except the last one.
>>
>>47202455
why are they all covered in studs?
>>
>>47202455
It's a good setting and was used for a couple of novels/short stories were a bunch of different fantasy authors shared the setting. (early ones are pretty good mainly due to the great authors)
I think it's fairly good building material that you can then work and expand on yourself, probably with the help of the Green Ronin releases for Thieves World that came out 10 or so years ago.
I still have my copy of the boxset.

Here's a story about play in the setting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKgmhmEtgx4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8ZarCRE2g0
>>
>>47203118
studded leather armor guy. no idea beyond style choice.
>>
>>47203238
oh, this is neat thanks for the videos.
>>
>>47203118
everbody loves a bad guy
>>
>>47202455
Have the books been re-released recently?
>>
>>47203238
Old Spoony makes me sad about current Spoony, I hope he starts posting Counter Monkeys again
>>
>>47205407
>has a sad
>about spoony
>counter monkey
>being this tiger beat

Dude, you're making me sad for /tg/.
>>
File: GoTo.jpg (56 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
GoTo.jpg
56 KB, 250x250
>>47202455
>rl asprin

Ye gods. Is it as full of cringey puns as his other books?
>>
>>47202455
Nice find, let us know how it plays.
>>
>>47207023
Nope. There's more indirect innuendo, like a popular tavern having its sign be a unicorn with a dick for a horn, except they can never say that directly.
>>
>>47202455
Never understood why they didn't expand the different stats out into a Rosetta stone of rpgs.
>>
>>47203118
Because it's way faster to paint than mail, and it's a fantasy rpg from the 70s, people still thought studded leather armor was a thing.
>>
>>47212868
For the time this was published, they covered most of the bases directly.
>>
>>47210780
This is written for most of the functional game systems of the day. Each plays differently.

The city itself also has an extensive encounter table setup written by the same folks who wrote the generic "Cities" book (which would become "Runequest Cities" in its last incarnation) and who gamed with Ray Feist and helped develop the world of Midkemia. The version in this book is tuned to the specific districts and character of Sanctuary.
>>
>>47207023
>>47211780
Asprin wrote the Myth and Phule books to get that punsterism and character group in his head out on paper so it wouldn't infect the rest of his work.
>>
>>47206991
C'mon, Spoony used to be pretty good before depression ate his life. His Deck of Many Things story is great.
>>
>>47202455
This looks incredible! Where can I find a PDF?
>>
File: tumblr_nxild1upEW1tlrio8o5_540.jpg (56 KB, 540x431) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxild1upEW1tlrio8o5_540.jpg
56 KB, 540x431
>>47203238
Can confirm that 8th-grade me spent $3 on the paperback at BDalton Booksellers. I was not disappointing - the stores were pretty good.
>>
>>47211780
I thought the Vulgar Unicorn's Sign was a Unicorn fucking itself with its horn.
>>
>>47220086
I don't know friend.

I've Googled and looked through the /osr/ trove, and didn't see it.

Anyone have a link? I'd like to give this a read.
>>
>>47202455
That cover is BAD-ASS.

I gotta find a better version of it.
>>
>>47222105
I thought the Vulgar Unicorn's sign was a unicorn sucking its own dick.
>>
File: THVSWRLD3F1979.jpg (123 KB, 456x640) Image search: [Google]
THVSWRLD3F1979.jpg
123 KB, 456x640
>>47223266
It was done by Walter Velez. I'm not seeing a version without the logo. It is also the cover of the original printing of the first book in the series.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.