[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to pic related in medieval fantasy setting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11
File: Black Lodge.jpg (101 KB, 1280x693) Image search: [Google]
Black Lodge.jpg
101 KB, 1280x693
How to pic related in medieval fantasy setting?
>>
>>47199435
With Marble or two different types of Wood, I'd assume.
>>
mosaic
>>
>>47199619
>>47199627
It's the Red Room from twin peaks.

Occult mystery shouldn't be too hard to pull off in medieval fantasy europe.
>>
>>47200442
What is a "twin peaks"?
>>
>>47200463
-A cult classic supernatural mystery television show by David lynch.

-A breasteraunt chain found in the suburbs.
>>
>>47200463
Two mountains beside one another
>>
>>47200463
;^^)
>>
>>47200463
>>47200442
>>47199627
>>47199619
>>47199435
For reference, here's some of pic related.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7O1SQm1j5s
>>
>>47201011
Is the whole joke that it's a piece of shit that people try to pass off to other people as anything other than a piece of shit?
>>
>>47199435
does this count as a tile pattern?
>>
>>47201266
Nah, the big thing is that there were two places, the black lodge, which was filled with horror and mind Fuck, while the white lodge was filled stepfordized bliss and joy... or else...

It's a bit like silent hill, with 1980 budget and special effects.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (36 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
36 KB, 960x720
>all these plebs in here not knowing about twin peaks

for fucks sake
>>
>>47200442

>occultism didn't exist in medieval europe

???

Also, this is what Limbo is for in D&D, the keeps of the Slaad Lords are basically red rooms
>>
File: glastonbury grove.png (278 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
glastonbury grove.png
278 KB, 500x374
I've often thought about ripping the plot and lore of the show and sticking it into a tabletop campaign. I think it would work really well adapted to fantasy horror.
>>
>>47200463
A TV show made a decade or more before you were born.
>>
>>47202574
Dis doesn't automatically make it good.
>>
>>47199435
That's tough to pull off in a fantasy since in fantasy, anything magical or odd isn't strange at all and your players or readers aren't going to be as surprised. In fact, they expect the weird shit to be easily explained as "it's magic".

The thrill that came from Twin Peaks was because the weirdness came from such a mundane looking place. And not only weird events were happening, the people acted weird too. Viewers expected everyone to act normal like most other dramas, but the characters acted out of the ordinary and the trippy surreal shit that happened was not expected at all from a section of modern America that didn't hint at anything supernatural.

Good luck trying to pull that off in a genre where anything goes.
>>
>>47203196
Well the lesson from that is to first establish a bedrock of normalcy, and dribble in weirdness a little at a time.
>>
>>47199619
/thread
>>
>>47202773
You're right. That show was objectively bad. Even the fans of the show themselves will cave at how bad it is when I mention the second season with "b-b-buh muh sponser interference" and "Daytime TV audiences!". Yeah, it might have been bad due to other people being at fault, but it still wound up bad and unwatchable.
>>
>>47201011
Brilliant! Hahehe...

I have absolutely no idea what's going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjDa-_Vq51I
>>
File: 1441788895852.jpg (3 MB, 2384x3157) Image search: [Google]
1441788895852.jpg
3 MB, 2384x3157
>>47206962

Still better than the X-Files.
>>
>>47199435
Related question. How to do the Red Room in a scifi setting?

I mean you could just do the same thing but it wouldn't be as thematically consistent.
>>
>>47200463
It's what spawned JoJo Part4 and Gravity Falls
>>
Exactly the same but with a dancing dwarf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw9bpuJRoyU
>>
File: I want all my garmonbozia.png (2 MB, 614x869) Image search: [Google]
I want all my garmonbozia.png
2 MB, 614x869
>>47199435
>The Red Briar Patch
When one is in trials by the fair folk, their soul is tested by the Old Threshold Gatekeeper in the Red Briar Patch. It was a beautiful place once, before the need for such thorns. It as gentle, with laughing spirits and gentle fawns gamboling through its endless Elysian fields. It rained honeyed waters, and flowers bloomed so sweet you could forget all your early worries. But these joys, and laughters, sweet flower fruits and honeyed waters gave way to such sin. The fair folk there became slothful, hateful, and their excess corrupted the place. They were driven beneath the soil, and red briar thorns arose to keep them down in the dirt. You can enter that dark place by looking into the shadows of the pricker bushes, or by drinking deep that heavy rain that still yet falls.

The fair folk bring mortals here sometimes to test their mettle. The Old Threshold Gatekeeper is a tiny little man, almost a mushroom. He speaks backwards and forwards at the same time. He will tell you clues on how to best the corruption beneath his feet which has surely seeped into the mortal world. He sometimes dances an odd little jig, which is one of the few ways to know you're on the right path. If you however are a person who is falling to corruption, he will see you as a pitiable soul who needs to be released lest you be entombed beneath his feet as well.

It is a strange place, best avoided.
>>
>>47208059
Just do what Event Horizon did.

Ordinary space ship salvage mission. Expecting space weather, asteroid shit, dead crew mates. Not expecting hell to break out from another dimension using the ship as it's haunted vessel.
>>
>>47208326
So, absolute shit responsible for even worse shit.
>>
>>47208543
>Expecting space weather, asteroid shit, dead crew mates. Not expecting hell to break out from another dimension using the ship as it's haunted vessel.
Fuck no. The Red Room works because it's vaguely familiar but there is something "off" about it. The entire horror of twin peaks runs on a sort of atmospheric uncanny valley. It's normal enough to make you feel at home but eerie enough that you don't feel safe.

The setting should be a space-station like DS9 or a some habitat on a fringe world. There should be a threat but something distant and ignorable. The weirdness creeps in slowly while everyone else turns away. It's a seductive siren song for those seeking an escape from tedium or a satisfaction to their curiosity. It may not claim everyone, at least not right away, but it will claim you.
>>
>>47208440
Don't forget friendly paladins and qt rogues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFxCrC_Cs38
>>
>>47208326

>Twin Peaks invented murder mysteries

this thread is garbage
>>
>>47206962

The first season, the first nine episodes of the second season and the finale, along with the movie are all GOAT and you should go back to the cesspit that is /tv/ and never come back to shit up the place with your garbage opinions.
>>
>>47200538
whats a breasteraunt? Sounds kinky.
>>
File: twin peaks annie.gif (495 KB, 500x362) Image search: [Google]
twin peaks annie.gif
495 KB, 500x362
Are you planning to add in Bob to your medieval fantasy setting as well, OP?
>>
>>47213573
Bob is actually fairly easy to copy/steal since he can be summed up to "demon man possessing people and then killing other people"
Making him work good is a completely different matter, though.
>>
File: opinions.jpg (102 KB, 1024x819) Image search: [Google]
opinions.jpg
102 KB, 1024x819
>all these posts in here from people who've never seen a show calling it "shit"

internet discussions in a nutshell
>>
>>47203196
>That's tough to pull off in a fantasy since in fantasy, anything magical or odd isn't strange at all and your players or readers aren't going to be as surprised. In fact, they expect the weird shit to be easily explained as "it's magic".
>Good luck trying to pull that off in a genre where anything goes

In a high fantasy setting, it would be a challenge to keep it intriguing. But there is low fantasy, or a setting with low magic. It would work well in a setting where there is magic/supernatural but most of the educated don't believe in it, and cast it off as superstitions. For example a walled city that has become so sheltered they are unaware of the strange things going on outside their walls.

If I were going to work Twin Peaks lore into my game, I would read up on Native American mythology since the show seems to be inspired by a lot of their peoples' legends and omens (the whole thing with the "owls are not what they seem"). You can apply that culture to the indigenous peoples of your setting, maybe they're one of the few left with links to the supernatural world. I would also read some Cthulhu stuff, as Twin Peaks has a whole lot of the underground secret society tropes, and ordinary people who have double lives. A quaint, picturesque town with a seedy and evil underbelly.
>>
>>47199435
Make it a small, cozy cottage with a finely attired halfling rather than the midget.
Basically the same things happen really, physics stop mattering, things shift and change unnaturally, going through the door leads back into the same room only slightly different, the halfling spouts cryptic riddles in a strange accent.
Looking out of the windows you see the dark forest
Keep the marble statue though make sure to emphasise its unnatural beauty and how out of place it seems
>>
>>47213627
Judging by the clips in this thread and the discussion surrounding it, it's a half-forgotten budget show for people to act pretentious about, directed by one of the most overrated humans alive.
>>
File: patrice-oneal.jpg (25 KB, 480x300) Image search: [Google]
patrice-oneal.jpg
25 KB, 480x300
>>47214579
Yeah, because you can absolutely judge an entire series of a serial drama cult tv show by out of context several minute clips.
>>
>>47214579
This post reeks of /tv/
>>
>>47214648
I think I can judge it based on how the clips are terrible. Not even mildly bad, but unwatchable garbage, which seems to be the trademark of Lynch.

But please, continue with your "2deep4u" pretentiousness.
I'm sure the obscure bands you listen to are also not garbage.
>>
>>47214683
>Joy Division and Velvet Underground
>garbage

Now you're just trying way too hard to sound like an assuming, ignorant idiot. Go ahead and tell me how they suck before listening to any of their songs too.
>>
>>47214715
You are like a living parody of a human.
I don't even know if that's funny or sad.
>>
>>47214746
Yep, /tv/ to a tee
>>
>>47214850
I find it bizarre that there are these people who post shit on /tg/, and then when people complain about it, they cry /v/, /lit/, or /tv/, like those boards are just filled with mean people who hate everything.

The simple truth is that these boards are just the places where people discuss those topics, and when shit is brought up, people call it what it is.

I understand you're looking for some safe haven to post shit without people calling it shit, but you're not really going to find such a place on 4chan.
>>
>>47214683
>ad hominem arguments

>>47214945
I'm sure a lot expect a certain level of maturity on the more niche discussion boards not found on the more riff-raff boards like /b/, /v/, etc.
>>
>>47215127
Maturity would mean not pretending that your tastes are above criticism from all but an imaginary group that you name after a board that had people who laughed at your tastes.

You might want to stick to the riff-raff boards until you grow up a little.
>>
>>47200463
Please let this be the new "kirk who?"
>>
>>47215323
Vast difference between criticism and "this thing you like sucks and is shit".
>>
>>47215323
In order to accurately critique something, you generally have to watch/read it first.
>>
>>47215346
Actually, no. Criticism includes "It's shit," and demanding an explanation at each turn is failing to appreciate that in the end, anyone can spin any facet of really anything positively or negatively.

Believing that the person who puts nore effort into explaining their opinion is in the right is just another fallacy, and often the most painfully stupid discussions are a result of people going to great lengths to justify opposing subjective opinions.

If it's shit, call it shit. No need to be baited into a discussion that's essentially "I'm going to waste my time pointing out the things you don't care about while you do the same to me."
>>
>>47215365
Unless David Lynch is involved.
Him squatting over your plate without any pants on is quite a clue as to what you're going to be eating.
>>
File: TwinPeaksS1Ep13.png (353 KB, 693x518) Image search: [Google]
TwinPeaksS1Ep13.png
353 KB, 693x518
>Expect a comfy Twin Peaks thread
>Just a lot of fags falling for another fag's bait
>>
Don't know what this idiot's beef is with Lynch. Blue Velvet, Peaks and Mulholland Drive were all great. Seems more like damage control to me.
>>
>>47215452
/tv/ please fuck off
back to your pedo and feet threads
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.