[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When the adeptus mechanicus discovered the tau, why didn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 6
When the adeptus mechanicus discovered the tau, why didn't they perform an exterminatus on their planet? Werent all xenos considered a potential threat and their a blasphemy upon the emperor? The imperium could've saved itself a lot of trouble.
>>
They were about to, the planet was catalogued by the AdMech and they had withdrawn to await cleansing but upon leaving the planet was wrapped in warp storms which lasted a while. Long enough for the Tau to stop fucking around and get their shit to together.
>>
>>47186398
IIRC the warp storm started over the planet before they could do anything after observing them.
>>
>>47186440
Didn't the warp storm dilate time for the Tau? IIRC it lasted around a thousand years or so to the galaxy at large but for the Tau it lasted long enough for them to evolve from a race that just learned to walk upright into what they are now.
>>
>>47186398
>When the adeptus mechanicus discovered the tau, why didn't they perform an exterminatus on their planet? Werent all xenos considered a potential threat and their a blasphemy upon the emperor? The imperium could've saved itself a lot of trouble.

What's wrong with you? The codexes tells you why and does the wikis that are easily accessible.

What's wrong with you, man? If you knew that the Admech discovered the Tau, how the fuck did you miss the next few sentence stating what happened to their colonization fleet.

Never in my years I have encountered an anon this stupid.
>>
>>47186476
Yes, from what I understand it lasted Generations.
>>
>>47186476
Remember how long we needed for that.
Now imagine how long it would've taken if we didn't had religion holding us back.
A thousand years is a very large, especially for a race with shorter lifespan.
>>
>>47186476
No, dum-dum. There is two type of warpstorms.

The the warpstorm that stays in the Warp and doesn't affect real space in any way. This is the most common one.

The second type is the warpstorm that breaks the walls of reality to spew warp corruption and daemons all over real space. For example, the Eye of Terror and the Maelstrom.

Considering that the Tau haven't been raped to extinction by daemons and are not Chaos mutants, and also they don't have any historical records any warp exposure, the Tau sector was cut off by the first type of warpstorm.
>>
>>47186517
>Now imagine how long it would've taken if we didn't had religion holding us back.

Here we fucking go
>>
>>47186540
Forget to add.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU, ANON? We should take /a/'s example and stop spoonfeeding people the basics. This is getting out of hand.
>>
>>47186559
Why can't we just have some comfy threads talking about lore and the games with newfriends?
>>
>>47186559
>We should take /a/'s example

Stopped reading there.
>>
>>47186552
He's right, in the 40k setting at least.
>great crusade under imperial truth conquers the entire galaxy in 200 years using atheist super tech
>Horus heresy happens and humanity becomes religious
>10'000 years of utter stagnation
>>
>>47186398
No. Plenty of minor races are left alone because they're not worth the effort. They catalogued and marked the planet in around M32 when the Tau were still pretty much cavemen or basic agrarians. Then a warp storm formed and they let the matter drop. Skip ahead to M39, and the Tau are basically as we see them now.

That used to be a key part of their lore, they were incredibly adaptive and advanced even faster than humans did. Partly due to their strict caste system, partly due to implied Chaos fuckery, and partly because at once point GW played with the idea of them being the reasonable "good guys" of the setting.
>>
>>47186576
I like newfriends. What I don't like are lazy newfriends. People who don't bother to learn the basics drag down discussion.

If we don't scold them we will be flooded with stupid questions like "What is the Webway?", "Who are the Chaos Gods", "How does warp travel work"?.
>>
>>47186596
As a counterpoint, Humanity's worst fuckup and regression with technology was when it was at the height of its atheism. Lorgar wasn't particularly in the right, but his words had merit, people need something tangible to believe in, if you can't offer them something truly present, then have them believe in something spiritual.
>>
>>47186606
Not everyone has the monk-like patience to read 50 black library novels and 30 codexes, let alone time and funds.
>>
>>47186597
>partly due to implied Chaos fuckery
Nice headcanon.

>No. Plenty of minor races are left alone because they're not worth the effort.

The Tau planet was marked for cleansing and colonization. The colonization fleet was destroyed while in transit in the Warp. The Imperium takes any chance to wipe off xenos races especially if they live in resource rich areas like the Tau home cluster
>>
>>47186651
Explain all the races they don't just wipe out, like the Stryx or the Kroot.
>>
>>47186631
I am not saying anyone should do that. What I am saying my lazy newfriend is that there are three warhammer wikis on the web. You can google any basic 40K subject and you will get all the information you need.

You don't need to come bother us with stupid questions you could have answered them yourself by a 5 secod google search.
>>
>>47186668
The Kroot live in the Tau home cluster. By the Tau time were cavemen they must have been also primitives. So when the warpstorm came, they were cut off as well.

No idea what the Stryx. Must be some FFG rac, right?
>>
>>47186517
The Catholic church literally preserved literacy and an untold wealth of classical knowledge during the dark ages. Most monk's lives were spent reproducing manuscripts and teaching Latin.

But yeah, go ahead and post your unscientific little chart with an quantified measure of "progress" that you think backs up your argument.
>>
>>47186685

You should really try encouraging people to join your hobby by showing how fun and welcoming it can be, not by being a sneering gatekeeper. What about "DON'T SPOOFED THE NOOBS" would make someone want to play it with you?
>>
>>47186724
Didn't the church also forbid the plens from learning how to write and read?
>>
>>47186476
I thought a key point of the Tau was that they managed to develop implausibly quickly within that timespan because they suddenly found enlightened, pseudo-mindcontrolling philosopher kings to lead them.
>>
>>47186724
You can't deny that literally everyone was doing better before rome fell and abrahamic religions became widespread.
>>
>>47186744

No? They did however oppose the Bible being translated out of Latin for quite a while.
>>
>>47186776
They opposed people owning and reading bibles on their own, as well. Too many 'unofficial' gospels and chapters floating around. Wouldn't want people to get the wrong ideas.
>>
>>47186398
When the Tau were discovered, they were the equivalent of cavemen. Their planet was slated for colonization and routine cleansing, and the explorators moved on. The colonization ships hit warp storms and were lost, so the Tau were never exterminated.

>>47186476
No. The Tau went from cavemen to spaceflight in around 6 thousand years canonically. No time dilation, just shielded from contact from the outside galaxy.
>>
>>47186740
I encourage people who put an effort into the hobby and want to contribute.

Lazy newfags just drag us all down. They should be kicked to curb.

>>47186751
Exactly.

Homeboy over there didn't know how warpstorm work because he didn't do his homework.
>>
>>47186761
Rome fell for a variety of reasons, Abrahamic religion being a very small and relatively insignificant part.

You could make arguments that the world would be better off if the Persians won against the Greeks.
>>
>>47186761

Rome fell long AFTER Arbahamic religions became widespread.
>>
>>47186761
I can, because 'doing better' is vague as fuck, and 'before rome fell' covers a massive period of time.
>>
>>47186744
The bible? Yes, only those instructed in latin were allowed to read it, otherwise you'd need a priest to read it to you. The church for a long time was the only way the plebs could get an education and learn how to read.
>>
>>47186744
They didn't want the bible translated. Most people didn't have the time, energy, intelligence, knowledge, or money to learn to read and write, let alone in latin.
>>
>Religious anons in this thread

Hurry someone start copypasting from the "Last Church".
>>
>>47186829

Why would I do that when I could find an edgy 13 year old and get a better discourse on the issues with religion?
>>
>>47186761
Things went to shit because Rome fell, not because of religion. Rome was a Christian empire towards its end for fuck's sake.

Put the fedora down.
>>
>>47186794
>I encourage people who put an effort into the hobby and want to contribute.
>Lazy newfags just drag us all down. They should be kicked to curb.

Which of these two sounds more welcoming, and which sounds like something that would make you take up Infinity instead of 40k?

>Hey anon, here's a wiki that will answer that for you.
>WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU, ANON? We should take /a/'s example and stop spoonfeeding people the basics.
>>
>>47186804
Yes, but they were also too busy being serfs to learn to read anyway. Which would have happened, religion or not.

That kind of stuff grew out of Roman farm slavery.
>>
>>47186820
>>47186804
It's also worth mentioning that the first printed book was the Bible, and the desire to reproduce it endlessly is what led to the invention of the press.

So religion led to the one innovation that would change the scientific world for the better like none before or since.
>>
>>47186850
Tough love is best love, you hippie.
>>
>>47186846
>>47186761
Things were shit in the western empire before Rome fell, like over a century before. It never really recovered after the 280's
>>
>>47186724
Preserved. ....
Someone hasn't heard about the inquisition, or the destruction of all the knowledge of the aborigines of every region that those shitty Aramaic religions spread to
>>
>>47186651
He said it was implied. It actually is, I recall it from my old tau codices. Gw can be subtle on occasion.

And the imperium cleanses where convenient, but exterminatus weapons are expensive, citizen.
>>
>>47186846
>Rome was a Christian empire when it fell
Coincidence?
>>
>>47186899

>Aramaic

Yeah, those damn dirty Phoenicians.
>>
It's almost like the Roman Empire was doomed to fail as soon as it ran out of territories to conquer and exploit to fund a bloated core region.
>>
>>47186901
As guy who read the old dexes, I can say there wasn't any Chaos implication at all.
>>
>>47186899
The Muslims did a great job preserving Greek and Roman knowledge, even while Europe was in a relatively bad way.

I won't say that was religions benefit, but it's not like it turned them into book burning lunatics. That has to do with economic and social prosperity more than anything.
>>
>>47186899

>Someone hasn't heard about the inquisition

The Spanish Inquisition was an organization run by a country, not the church. The Vatican spoke against it and the Spanish king gave no fucks.
>>
>>47186899
>I don't know things about stuff
>>47186908
What about the Byzantines?
>>
>>47186914
We could all be speaking Minoan or Hieroglyphs if it weren't for them!
>>
>>47186627
>people need something tangible to believe in, if you can't offer them something truly present, then have them believe in something spiritual.
The problem with that is that people who believe in spiritual things doesn't stop once they have tangible things, most importantly power. Instead they use that power for repressive bullshit to maintain the spirituality that seeps power into the hands/claws/tentacles of their own worst enemies.
>>
>>47186899
>Inquisition
What scientific knowledge did the inquisition destroy?
>or the destruction of all the knowledge of the aborigines of every region
Like which ones?
>>
>>47186948
>What scientific knowledge did the inquisition destroy?

|Galileo's research and career.
>>
>>47186874
Sure, in the same way that Freud created psychology as thousands of people scrambled to prove that literally everything they do isn't solely because they want to fuck their mothers.
>>
>hurr durr muh evil religions
There isn't a single large, advanced society on earth that would have developed without religion.
>>
>>47186934
There was a papal inquisition as well as a Spanish Inquisition dumbass
>>
File: slightly bemused.jpg (69 KB, 500x440) Image search: [Google]
slightly bemused.jpg
69 KB, 500x440
>>47186960
>>
>>47186968
You can't know that. As much as you can't know the opposite.
>>
>>47186960
Galileo got clearance to teach his theories alongside other accepted theories at the time. The church only came down on him because he was being a petulant little shit.
>>
>>47186981
>slightly bemused
>a collage of David Mitchell completely losing his shit
I kek'd.
>>
>>47186968
We cannot know that considering religious societies invaded and destroyed any developing non-religious societies.
>>
>>47186968
This. We don't need to get rid of religions, we just need better religions. How do we get a religion into the mainstream that preaches spiritual advancement through technological advancement?
>>
>>47186960

Oh hell no.

You know who destroyed Galileo? Galileo.

It's not a good idea to go and publish a book that could be accurately summed up as 'Everyone who doesn't agree with me is an idiot' when you don't yet have the evidence to back up your statements.

The church didn't tell him to stop, full stop. At least, not until he refused to stop the rampant dickery. Instead, they asked him to stop until he had proof.

Remember, Geocentric model wasn't just a religious thing. It was something with strong scientific evidence for it at the time.

Galileo was a bad scientist. Being right doesn't take that away.
>>
>>47186982
>>47186998
The concept of non-religious early societies is absolute fiction. Everything we have was built on the foundation of religion as a source of authority among otherwise tribally-minded primitives.
>>
>>47186974

The Catholic Inquisition however doesn't line up with the popular culture idea of the inquisition. For one, it had the concept of 'Innocent until proven guilty' and executed very few people.
>>
>>47186960

Protip: when pitching your new (well, really, old but now with improved MATHS!) model for solar mechanics, it's best not to do so in a treatise where the thinly-veiled stand-in for the Pope basically spends the entire time going, "I'M AN IGNORANT FAGGOT PLEASE RAPE MY FACE!" while your ubermensch corrects him and talks more mad shit. Just sayin'.

>>47186974

The Papal Inquisition gave zero fucks about anything secular. They cared about orthodoxy amongst the teachings of the greater church.
>>
>>47186960
The church said "list both geocentrism and heliocentrism as theories," because the ptolemaic geocentric model, based on the observations of the stars at the time, was still functional. Galileo said that helicoentrism was a fact and then implied the pope was an idiot.

It also helps that his math was faulty to begin with, and his mathematical proof didn't actually hold up to scrutiny because he was wrong.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discourse_on_the_Tides#Criticism
Not that it stopped him from being a dick to the pope, who actually supported him early on.

The lesson from this whole thing is not to be a dick.
>>
>>47187008
>Remember, Geocentric model wasn't just a religious thing. It was something with strong scientific evidence for it at the time.
No one actually believed in the geocentric model any more than they actually believed in a flat earth. Galileo wasn't a visionary thinker, he was just an asscunt that pissed off the wrong people and had a good PR team.
>>
>>47186899
>or the destruction of all the knowledge of the aborigines
Yeah, I'm sure they could have shared all their discoveries about how to cook each other with us.
>>
>>47187050

Galileo is kinda hilarious for being the archetypal Internet Tough Guy. Unfortunately, this was before the Internet was invented.
>>
>>47186941

or people could be spiritual because its a personal thing for them.

Not everyone wants to start a religion, some people are going to be weird new-agey types, or mystics, or just normal people with a spiritual view on things (they can still be atheist, and just interpret the whole spirituality thing as an existential facet of life).

also its not like the Tau aren't just space-taoists, complete with bullshit ethereals
>>
>>47187045
>>47187050
Regardless, I was pointing out the fact that the poster jumped straight to the Spanish inquisition when there was no mention of it
>>
>>47187062
They did, just not the ancient ptolemaic system, but Tycho Brahe's system
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tychonic_system
which was a hybrid of Copernicus' observations and the old Ptolemaic Geocentric system.

Believe it or not, Geocentrists weren't dogmatically sticking to a single theocratic system, but actively trying to reconcile their beliefs with newer discoveries.
>>
>>47187062
[citation needed]
>>
>>47187104

They kinda ARE the prime example when people say 'The Inquisition' 99% of the time.
>>
>>47187074
He also made the mistake of fucking with the wrong admin.
>>
>>47187104

If you're talking about religious cuntery and you invoke the Inquisition, either you're talking about the (secular) Spanish Inquisition, or it's an absolute non sequitir.
>>
>>47186908

Rome had a lot of problems that had nothing to do with the imperial cult.

If you're implying the imperial cult was any less repressive, keep in mind it was just a way to justify the control of the state over the people and why they did their shit. The gods went from their more naturalistic origins to mechanisms to impart different lessons from the state, and the temples were corrupt and deceitful as all hell.

Rome fell because it couldn't sustain itself anymore. It was stretched too thin, and had too many people who were more interested in their own clans at the expense of the whole. Once they began gutting the legion out of desperation, it was only a matter of time.

Most of europe was the frontiers at the time, and hardly what you would call christianized. They just ended up being a combination of pagan kings and christian ones, with their faith based more on opportunism than piety.
>>
>>47187118
Yeh but the fact that they were talking about the Catholic Church and preservation/ destruction of knowledge suggested they were talking about the episcopal inquisition, people only discuss the Spanish Inquisition because its a meme
>>
Crusades

Not only are they bad but they are so bad that they awakened Khorne
>>
>>47187158
>people only discuss the Spanish Inquisition because its a meme

You are underestimating how much the Spanish Inquisition gets brought up with people thinking it's run by the church.
>>
>>47186631

except its literally the first paragraph of the lore that "Imperium was gonna exterminate them but freak warpstorm"

someone asking, "what the fuck is the damocles crusade and why hasn't either side won" is a more fair question, since all of that shit is in different codexes and lore books
>>
>>47187131
>Implying the Spanish Inquisition was shit
It was actually one of the better run and more humane courts in Europe during the early modern era, we tend to get the belief that they were obsessed with torture and unrestricted killing from protestant propaganda
>>
>>47187159
That kind of shit is just such a Western, and no historical, point of view. The Crusades were important, but they weren't nearly as bloody as people make them out to be. The Romans had bigger a wars than that, and don't get started on the Chinese.
>>
>>47186850
im not the anon youre talking to, but youre a huge faggot holy shit.

I play warhammer, warmachine, infinity, dystopian wars/legions, battle tech, malifaux ....etc. and if you started asking basic googleshit youd get the same treatment, it has nothing to do with the fandom.
>>
>>47187159
The Crusades also led to a lot of cultural exchange between Europe and the Middle East that opened up new trade routes and ideas that revolutionized both cultures. War sucks but sometimes good things can happen from it.
>>
>>47187159

I thought khorne got woken up by genghais khan?
>>
>>47187171
I am fully aware, still it had not been brought up in this thread till the poster I called out
>>
>>47186627
>Humanity's worst fuckup and regression with technology was when it was at the height of its atheism

>Height of atheism
>Some loser keeps spouting god shit
>Tells his bro about these gods
>They fuck up everything and plunge the prospering atheist society into a religious stagnant hell hole for 10,000 years
>>
>>47187231

Pretty sure that's not how the Men of Iron worked.
>>
>>47187159
If Khorne approves of DEUS VULT then stick a nail in my brain and call me Angron
>>
>>47187215
Nah, crusades are what awakened. Doombred and Uraka Az'baramael were ancient Terran warlords that Khorne elevated to daemonhood. They were among the first of hisdaemon princes,
>>
>>47186899
>or the destruction of all the knowledge of the aborigines of every region that those shitty Aramaic religions spread to

Fun fact, the church was the first entity that gave human rights to the native americans when the continent was discovered.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZegQYgygdw
>>
>>47186960
That was Galileo being a huge dick to his friend the pope.
Seriously the pope told Galileo that he could write a book about his theory, but he had to show both sides. Which is fair, because at the time geocentric model had more evidence than heliocentric.
And Galileo did include both sides, but intentionally wrote the geocentric guy as an utter retard. The book was a bigger strawman than an MS paint comic that get's posted here.
This pissed off the pope, who then sentenced Galileo to imprisonment in his home for the rest of his days, which was quite kind compared to what most rulers of the time would have done if you had essentially given them the finger in book form.
>>
>>47187159
>Crusades
>Religious as anything other than a fig leaf

Literally LOL. How much back-of-a-cereal-box history are we going to get in one thread?

>>47187183

Understood. Still, given context, if you're speaking negatively about abuses and invoking the Inquisition, you're most likely talking about the Spanish Inquisition, propaganda or no. Nobody's talking shit about the Papal Inquisition unless they're a fucking Waldensian, and last I checked they're a dead sect.
>>
>>47187276
From what I have seen there are a large number of people talking shit about the papal inquisition in this thread...
>>
>The Necrons betray their gods and renounce their religion, they start to worship themselves
>Their empire crumbles

>The Eldar turn their backs to their gods and embrace excess and self worship
>Their empire implodes

>The Emperor destroys all of humanity's religions and forces all to embrace an atheistic philosophy of racial self worship
>His empire is ravaged but is saved when it embraces religion

I am sensing a pattern here.
>>
>>47187238
>Implying the men of iron were worse than the horus heresy
>>
>>47187159
Crusades were small time compared to the muslim invasions of europe.
And said invasions were extremely bloody, and by comparison the European retaliation in form of the crusades was completely and totally reasonable.
>>
>>47186850

This is still 4chan, if you want that kind of nice hand holding attitude I would suggest farseer or dakka dakka for you
>>
>>47186476
I think it lasted 4'000 years, they evolve quickly, their race has been completely united for over 3'000 years and very efficiently administered. There's also speculation that they've gotten help from the Eldar, or that Ethereals were invented by Eldar, etc. There's something weird going on, but I don't think it's time dilation.
>>
File: Druid_copy.jpg (133 KB, 680x682) Image search: [Google]
Druid_copy.jpg
133 KB, 680x682
What if the Warp Storm was created artificially? What if the entire Star Cluster where the Tau live was created artificially. Most Dense Star Clusters are made of young stars (all created at the same time) as they tend to dissolve and the stars are absorbed into the larger galaxy.
>>
>>47187298
To be fair, the Emperor's plan *almost* worked.

But then it didn't.
>>
>>47187304

The Men of Iron took a civilization that makes 30k look like tinkertoys and sundered it irreparably. The pinnacle of the Imperium of Man was still striving to recapture the glory of the DAoT.
>>
>>47187159
Religion was just how they convinced peasants to go on war hundreds of miles away from home.

Really the Crusades were to get in on the wealth and land that the Middle East had.
>>
>>47187304
But they literally were.
>>
>>47187375
Get out.
>>
>>47187298
Got that backwards with the imperium. Bruh, they were dominant when the emprah was in power. They were brought down by chaos, and their religion is slowly crumbling the bastion that was imperial unity and strength through clarity of vision. Now they routinely glass their own planets because of perceived heresy, so I can't agree that they're 'stronger'.
>>
>>47187357
Necrons investigated the Tau. They discovered that, while the Tau are not creations of the Old Ones, the Tau had been touched by one of the Old One servant races.

Who were these servants of the Old Ones? It's a mystery
>>
How many species are in that dense Star Cluster? Can the Imperium's navigate efficiently in such an environment packed with so many stars close together?
>>
>>47187431

Efficiency and Imperium don't go together.
>>
>>47187431
>How many species are in that dense Star Cluster?

The Tau have assimilated dozens of species, and have exterminated or driven off many more. That cluster is heavily populated.
>>
>>47186581
tg would be better if we stopped explaining the basics.
>>
>>47187431
The Imperium can't drive in a straight time line while sober.
>>
>>47187431
Yes. It has before. I think you might be overestimating how difficult it becomes to navigate a cluster of more stars, if anything you have more reference. As for Warp travel, I'm somewhat unaware of how tightly packed and effective the Warp-routes in that area are, surely the lack of emotional energy has stabilized the region more than, say, the Askellon Sector all the way over near the Eye.
>>
What would look like the nightsky in a planet belonging to a dense star cluster? Would it be possible to read a book thanks to the light coming from the stars alone? Is there even nights in such world?
>>
>>47186797
I would be very tempted to make that argument, actually. I've always been fascinated by the idea of the Achaemenid Empire absorbing Greece; what could happen in the ensuing cultural and intellectual mix?
>>
File: dark age myth.png (2 MB, 1386x4653) Image search: [Google]
dark age myth.png
2 MB, 1386x4653
>>47186899
Fucking memers
>>
File: 1462397491161.png (509 KB, 795x991) Image search: [Google]
1462397491161.png
509 KB, 795x991
>>47187242
>Ghengis Khan was one of Khorne's first Daemon Princes
>That he elevated before he was awakened
>By the crusades...
>>
>>47187375
No the wealth came from Venice opening trade with the Ottomans.

The Crusades were a bunch of assholes that went off to carve out their own land even though they promised to reclaim it for the Byzantines.
>>
>>47187313
Except you know for religious divergence
>Christian subfactions would rather see muslims win that their rival Christians win
>Muslim subfactions would rather see Christian crusaders win then let their muslim rivals stay on top.
>>
>>47187879
Be'lakor was elevated to pricedom by the Chaos Gods before any of the Chaos Gods were born.
>>
>>47187159
>The Crusades alone woke up Khorne
>Not a combination of the Mongol hordes invading literally everyone, the wars China between northern and southern Song, the civil war in Japan,and Fatimid war to lay claim to Egypt.

Khorne encompasses more than Europe you know.
>>
>>47186751

They had five thousand years of uninterrupted development because the AdMech Explorators never returned, and under the shuffle of Imperial Bureaucracy, they ended up forgotten.

They fucked around for a bit, eventually got to space, and cut their teeth on Orks. Endless waves of Orks. Then they seconded Kroot and Vespid into the Empire along with a few others.

Then some guy noticed an Explorator fleet went out there and reported some preliminary findings but never returned, so he decided to follow up on that. After finding that the Tau had become space-faring and were actively interacting with human colonies on the Eastern Fringe, they mobilized a crusade to fuck 'em up. Then we know what happened after that.
>>
This Thread.
>>
>>47188250
But Anon, nihilism is the most coherent belief there is, because there's literally no argument against it.
>>
>>47188399
>There's no meaning or purpose in life, it's only relevant because of little chemicals in their brain
>I'm trusting the little chemicals in my brain that tell me it doesn't mean anything
>>
>>47189495
>I can't trust the chemicals in my brain
>It is impossible to truly know anything
>Therefore there is meaning and purpose in life

I don't think you really thought this through, but what do I know, I'm made of meat.
>>
>>47188036
Not him, but are what are examples of this happening, for both sides?
I've never heard of this before
>>
>>47188051
Well Belakor is an ass backwards Mary Sue, now isn't he?
>>
>>47188399

couldn't a refute be as simple "Even if there is no inherent value, I will create my own and accept the limitations?"
>>
>>47189690

as far as the muslim factions, there were a lot of lesser nobility in the Turks that basically did not trust one another enough to fully commit themselves, effectively aiding a crusader victory.

Though only Muslim in the sense you sort of have to be, the Assassins worked for any side that matched their own interests.

As far as Christians go, what was the name of the one guy, Robert, I think, that fucked off in the first crusade to make his own kingdom?

He also refused entry to a rival band of crusaders, leading to them getting butchered in the night.

yes I saw extra credit recently, but I knew of the stories beforehand
>>
>>47189984
That's not really a refutation, it's just Absurdism. Which is fully compatible with Nihilism.
>>
>>47189681
>There's no meaning or purpose in life, it's only relevant because of little chemicals in their brain
>I know this because the little chemicals in my brain told me so
>I can't trust the chemicals in my brain
>It is impossible to truly know anything
>Therefore I can't say for certain whether any meaning exists or not since my proof renders the methods used to prove it unreliable

FTFY. Ultimately whether there is a meaning or purpose in life is a moot point. Those that believe there is will act in accordance with whatever they believe that meaning to be, while Nihilism encourages you to form your own meaning since none exists. The end result is the same, because humans need to believe in something in order to survive.
>>
>>47190039
>As far as Christians go, what was the name of the one guy, Robert, I think, that fucked off in the first crusade to make his own kingdom
One guy saying "fuck this, I'm going to start my own crusader state, with blackjack and hookers" doesn't really justify the statment
> >Christian subfactions would rather see muslims win that their rival Christians win
I mean, you'd have to at least have two examples for it to be subfactions, and even then it sounds more like the exception rather than the rule
>>
>>47190257
Riddle me this: Is there any difference between a world where life does not have meaning and a world where it is impossible to know if life has meaning?

You say it is a moot point and I'd agree. But I'd go further and say that if there is no difference between the two then they are the same.
>>
>>47190321
Is there any difference between people believing life has some inherent meaning and people assigning life a meaning of their own? I understand your point but this argument has the same problem as the arguments people use in favor of determinism, there's no way to prove it's true for certain and even if it is true humans need the illusion that it isn't to survive. Practically they have the same result, the differences are academic.

That being said this means it doesn't really matter whether you subscribe to Nihilism or not, in the end it's a matter of opinion. For me personally I believe that someones "meaning" is different for each person and is determined their individual experiences and beliefs. Life may or may not have a meaning but your life does.
>>
>>47186923
Sure they did. Then Al-Ghazali happened.
Lets be honest, religion at best allows scientific progress, at worst reverses it
>>
>>47186631

Use google you dumb fucking nigger. Then google how to kill yourself and do it.
>>
>>47186597
>>47186901
So what this about tou and chaos fuckery?
>>
>>47186476
It's implied their culture was artificially manipulated and accelerated by an outside force.

There are implications that it was the Eldar.

There are implications that the Ethereals are also outsiders.

There are implications that the Tau are related to the Necron's experiments into transferring consciousness into meaty bodies.

...only implications mind you...
>>
>>47187342
/tg/ is not /a/. Tabletop games are a social hobby, not something you can enjoy while locked in your neet hovel.

New people to the hobby make it much more enjoyable.
>>
>>47191098
Also implications that they are a new experiment by The Old Ones as well, forgot to add.
>>
>>47191131

You're a moron if you think the way people act on /tg/ is the same as the way people act in real life.
>>
>>47190863
>Catholic clergy funded, supported and acted to promote scientists
>Let's be honest, religion at best allows scientific progress because Al-Ghazali happened
I can point out the execution of Lavoisier and then say that the ideals of liberty "at best allows scientific progress" and it'd be no more unreasonable than what you just said.
Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.