[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark Souls Board Game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
Is /tg/ backing this game? So far I'm in it for roughly 140 pounds. It looks like it's going to be great, and the makers are really listening to what the community wants and is play testing things out to see if they work.

For the core game with SG's you get 79 minis for 80 pounds, and it'll probably increase by the end of this. Maybe get to 90 minis. For that alone it's worth the price, no?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game/description
>>
>>47182480
what kind of board game is? how is the gameplay?
>>
>>47182505
There's a gameplay demo on the kickstarter page which shows off two players vs the Dancer of the Frigid Valley. Short version is that it's players vs (card based) AI, positioning is important (better to evade attacks than tank them) and the more stamina you use the easier it is to get killed.

I've gone in for it, partially because backing now gets you a load of extra stretch goal enabled stuff, and because at the very worst it should be good for a few games with my fellow Dark Souls loving friends.
>>
>>47182480
Backed it.
>>
>>47182505
You explore new tiles and draw an encounter card when you enter a new zone. That'll determine your fights there. In the finished product there should be traps, hazards, etc. that vary depending on the tile. For the mini bosses and final bosses they have an actions deck that's randomized so you don't know what they'll be doing, and iirc they switch up tactics at various health levels.
>>
What mega boss(es) are people going for? I've put down enough money for one so far, but am undecided for what I want. Honestly I want Manus and the charioteer the most so I might just have to wait for those to hit retail.
>>
>>47182613
4 Kings.

I need to paint those. I need it so bad.
>>
>>47182794
Yeah I'm waiting to see the render on those. Could be really awesome.

I haven't painted mini's in years, and I think to completely paint all of these will take me years.
>>
>>47182613
Aren't those for retailers only?
>>
>>47182868
Nope! They were just unlocked through reaching a certain number of retailer's pledge level.

>>47182613
All of them.
>>
>>47182868
>>47182875
Yes they're only for retailers to sell. I was saying I'd have to wait for them to go on sale.
>>
File: you faggot read it.png (253 KB, 1030x625) Image search: [Google]
you faggot read it.png
253 KB, 1030x625
>>47182909
NO
>>
File: READ IT YOU FAGGOT.png (418 KB, 891x580) Image search: [Google]
READ IT YOU FAGGOT.png
418 KB, 891x580
>>47182909
>>47182960

THEY ARE NOT

Learn to read you pack of wild niggers.
>>
File: Untitled.png (334 KB, 345x575) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
334 KB, 345x575
>>47182960
>>47182966
Retards. We were talking about Manus and the Execution Chariot. They are sold only through retailers.
>>
Gameplay looks like it's going to be crap.
>>
>>47183085
You mean your face looks like it's crap.
>>
>>47182613
Gaping Dragon, maybe Kalameet or Asylum Demon.

I find it funny that dragons are such a large proportion of available mega bosses. Which game is the Guardian Dragon from, though? I don't recognize it at all.
>>
>>47182480
I'm getting it. Looks awesome.
>>
I'm actually thinking of backing out of this since the campaign looks lazy and I don't care about most of the freebies they offer to backers. I don't really want to participate only to sell off (most) of the stuff.
Anyone care to convince me to stay?
>>
>>47185427
Dark Souls II. It was a pretty forgettable boss, honestly.
>>
>>47185427
Guardian Dragon was a shit boss that became a regular enemy right after you fight it.
>>
>>47187356
IIRC it lost a few moves but yeah. Shit boss altogether. Died laughably easily to Great Resonant Soul.
>>
File: absolutely safe.jpg (7 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
absolutely safe.jpg
7 KB, 184x184
I can't find an in-depth analysis of the gameplay, so I'm probably going play it safe and pass on it.
>>
>>47182480
my brother is backing it for all its worth. 270 for everything.

is it worth it for me to get a core set on my own? we only play together and with friends. i was wondering if 2 core sets could be useful.
>>
>>47187421
playing it safe would be to back it and then sell it if you dont like it. you will get your money back and more.
>>
>>47187440
Don't. Save the money for the future expansions in case you like the game.
>>
Looks pricey. Why I shouldn't just buy the videogame?
>>
>>47187518
miniatures. lots and lots of cool cheap as fuck miniatures.
>>
So is this just Kingdom Death?
>>
>>47187646
With worse quality minis (they come pre-assembled)
>>
>>47182480
I want to back this but i don't think my friends will like this game too much, and as much as i want the models it is a bit pricey.

But Dancer looks so gorgeous.
>>
>>47187646
Lol no?

Kingdom Death is a awesome game with really good miniatures.

This is a much worse game with much lower quality miniatures and budget game pieces.
Hell you only have 4 slots for gear compared to the 9 in KD.
>>
>>47187783
Not to mention the stretch goals are insulting.
I don't know if it's worse they put barrels as stretch goals or that they did it TWICE.
>>
>>47182480
I'm in the hole for about the same. Gotta get me some sweet sweet darkroot basin+4kings or Kalameet.
I'm interested to see the big 2.5mil pounds reveal could be.

>>47183197
You tell him!
>>
>>47187686
"Worse quality minis" just means "not the best money can buy."
>>
>>47188064
I wouldn't call KD minis the best you can buy. They're nice but nothing special. Way better than monopose pre-assembled trash though.
>>
Wait, do they even have the rights?
>>
>>47188089
Agree about pre-assembled, but out of curiosity, what minis do you think are best? Any recommendations?
>>
>>47188118
Yes. They even couldn't reveal the stretch goals quickly enough at the beginning of the campaign because they had to pass everything by Bamco.
>>47188089
Yeah, but you get 76 monopose pre-assembled trash, plus barrels!
>>
>>47188153
For me Infinity is by far the best. Metal is amazing to work with. Weight is nice. Plus the details are very fine. Way nicer than what you can produce with plastic.

>>47188168
>plus barrels!
yay
>>
>>47188216
Nice! Anything fantasy, by any chance?
>>
>>47188253
REd Box line by hasslefree. The Artemis Black stuff.

Super good quality, may be a little big depending on what scale you're used to but I think they're unbeatable in terms of fantasy models right now. They're exceptional well designed.
>>
>>47188016
I'm thinking 2.5 mil will probably be Artorias or Gwyn, something that really stands out.
>>
>>47188892
Artorias is already in Darkroot expansion.
>>
Didn't care for the gameplay, but got in for the character models and an excuse to build terrain (I'd rather play on that than flat tiles if possible).

Not bothered with boss expansions because I can't afford them on top of game+shipping.
>>
>>47182480
I'm in but I'm just getting the base game unless they do a Nito boss expansion I'll have to buy that shit.
>>
>>47182966
>>47182960
You two are fucking retarded, Manus and the charioteer are RETAILER ONLY bonuses you moronic cunts.
>>
After watching gameplay, my issue is that it looks more like super dungeon extreme than its own game. positioning is cool, but I don;t see how hard, but fair can mix well with rng.

Maybe the players in the demo were retarded.
>>
Can anyone confirm my suspicion that this game uses SDE dice without the heart/potion side?
>>
>>47187470
Yeah there's a 100% chance you could sell the core game plus all the expansions you get for more than you paid. The SG expansions alone will retail for about 100 pounds. And we're probably getting another expansion on top of those.
>>
>>47186932
How does it look lazy? I agree they should have ironed more stuff out before beginning, but the up side is that they are considering a lot of input from the community and trying things out. I think it will be a better game than it would have otherwise.
>>
>>47187897
But we are getting 5 free expansions at this point, and probably 6 by the end of the campaign. Possibly even 7. I don't consider that insulting.
>>
>>47187690
Do eet, faggot.
>>
>>47189359
But the context was the megabosses.

Of the megabosses:
Manus, Last Giant, and Chariot are retailer only.
Gaping Dragon, Guardian Dragon, Kalameet, 4kids, and Ass Demon are not.

All of the listed models are "megabosses".
>>
>>47182480
Backed it, might get a second copy of the invaders pack because I can't decide if I should paint them as normal or phantom.
>>
>>47188911
Oh, I hadn't noticed they added that. Gwyn, then.
>>
>>47190837
I'm the OP the faggots were talking to. I first started talking about megabosses, and then said that I might just wait for Manus and Chariot. It was at this point that the retards started claiming they were all available for backers.
>>
>>47190897
Oh.

I might go to my FLGS and see if they backed, ask about retailer goals.
>>
Does anyone know if the Add On unlocks have been confirmed as either Kickstarter Exclusive or being available later at retail?

There's multiple Mega Bosses I'd like there but I don't really want to go all in because I have some doubts still.
>>
>>47191485
Nothing is KS exclusive. That said, the mega bosses are supposedly going to be 35 pounds at retail versus 28 pounds in the KS. So, yeah, $50 for a mini. And a tile or two, and some cards.
>>
>>47187783
this is obtainable, unlike kd
>>
I'm thinking of getting this along with the darkroot expansions. That sound like the most bang for my buck?
>>
>>
>>47191846
>metric shit-ton of minis
>obtainable

If by "obtainable" you mean "delayed out the ass with an eventual coin flip between paper-thin garbage that was used to push minis or scamstarter that disappears into oblivion" then yes.
>>
It really scares me that they aren't showing their Dancer mini that they had at preview events.

3D renders aren't worth shit. I've seen too many disappointing casts come from them.
>>
>>47193520
What are the chances that this whole game colossaly fucks up? Like unfun to play, really shitty models, or just flat out doesn't release content promised? I don't know the history of this company nor have played a game like it before.
>>
>>47187470
This is correct.

I missed kingdom death when it was cheap.
Now it would cost me ~700 dollarydoos.
>>
>>47194397
Well the guild ball models are good IMO, so they can at least sculpt, and I've seen this sort of plastic used to good effect before, but I just don't know.

I dunno how well Guild Ball delivered but at least it gives some credence to this company not being clue less when it comes to mass producing miniatures.

The gameplay I'm on the fence about, I definitely want something simpler so I can share it with others easier. And I think it's better for their marketing to do that, it already draws comparisons to KDM so I think it's better not to go for the complexity of that game, but I worry that they are currently leaning too far the other way.

My thing is, in terms of gameplay, I have faith that no matter how bad the company could screw up, there will be a kickass fanmade ruleset out there, one of the best things about tabletop games is you don't need to follow the rules to the letter.
>>
>>47195251
True, I couldn't enjoy Arkham Horror until we house ruled in some things. I'm always hesitant though because those are iffy. Worst case scenario though, I buy it and sell it because I'm sure it'll go up.
>>
For everyone looking for the ACTUAL gameplay descriptions, here's the video for basic gameplay
https://youtu.be/yL2hngajqNs

And the boss battle system
https://youtu.be/yL2hngajqNs

IMHO it feels VERY ingaging. Could see the system being used for other smaller Tabletops.
>>
>>47195407
THIS is the boss video, my apologies...
https://youtu.be/4VOFIIA2-fs
>>
Dat dumb ass F.O.B on the video "I rearry riked it!" Not backing this one, leave the video game as it is.
>>
>>47190773
>>47190793
My problem is that it is mostly player characters and invaders. We get something more interesting as far as enemies go in Darkroot expansion, but it's not backer bonus, you know? Everything human is for free and for anything interesting you need to give more cash (and my wallet is drained of all life due to the shipping). It feels like a random roguelike like this, lacking the weird monster design. I know the feeling of exploration can't be captured by a dungeon crawler and I can just go and play the video game, but it still kind of irks me.

I guess my main problem is that I feel this campaign could have been better if Bamco let Steamfoged do what they think is right instead of monitoring their every fucking decision. Not to mention they basically said they are just going to reuse the flavor text you get inside the game and that they are not allowed to make anything interesting with the models (and wow, do I hope they fix the Gargoyle, it looks like a mix of a dog and a monkey with really ugly wings, compared to in-game. I know it's still wip, but it bugs me).

Comparing this with that Conan board game makes me sad in some weird way...
>>
Join us! We need to hit that sunbro reward!
>>
So am i correct in seeing that there are ABSOLUTELY NO KS exclusive items in this KS? cool!
>>
>>47196999
pretty much, yes. you get to buy it all regularly in retail at a later date.
>>
>>47196999
ok, just read that retailers get an exclusive mystery item.

mad i cant afford jack right now.
>>
>>47197049
so many kickstarters ive seen have a ton of exclusives, always pissed me off. glad i'll be able to get it later when i have cash, even if its likely double the cost in total.
>>
>>47197060
I don't think it will be much more expensive. I think they need to keep everything predictable to make Namco Bandai happy. I think it was mentioned 28 pound expansions will be 35 pound or something.
>>
>>47182480
I missed out on getting Kingdom Death at a decent price, this is very tempting to me just for the minis.
>>
Backed for minis, gameplay would be a nice bonus
>>
>>47196999
That appears to be the case, though I'd feel bad for anyone who has to pay full price and doesn't get those 5 expansions considering that's over half of your playable classes, half your enemies, all of your decoration minis, half your bosses, and all of your invaders and armor set minis.
>>
>>47197167
yeah, sucks for me and others, but at least we can still get them.
>>
>>47182480
I'm probably going to wait until there's a full game on TTS so I can demo it for real. Then if it's fun i I'll get a copy to play with my friends.
>>
File: Brolaire of Asstora.jpg (243 KB, 680x737) Image search: [Google]
Brolaire of Asstora.jpg
243 KB, 680x737
Unlocked by the power of Jolly cooperation!
>>
Has a videogame based board game ever been good?
>>
>>47197381
Better question is, were the minis any good?
>>
>>47197381
well videogames OF boardgames are always usually shit, I know no examples of boardgames of video games off my head though.
>>
>>47197381

I really like the X Com game
>>
>>47197381
There haven't really been a lot desu.
>>
File: pic106185_md.jpg (124 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
pic106185_md.jpg
124 KB, 500x375
>>47197381
Doom game was decent, if you don't have anything else to play? I vaguely recall hearing it wasn't a total shitshow, at least.

I've been kinda curious about the WoW boardgame but never had the chance to try it out.
The old Warcraft 3 boardgame was pretty meh... Only played it for half an hour though.

The Starcraft boardgame actually is pretty fun and complex, but IM-POSS-IBLE to get hold of these days! The going rate seems to be at least 2,000+$... A friend of a friend did sell his copy to a russian kid, some teenage son of an oligarch or somesuch, for 11,000$, so that's a thing that happened.
>>
>>47197409
Metal Gear Risk
HaloClix
horrible Monopoly reprints
>>
>>47197381
Haven't played it personally, but Gears of War is meant to be surprisingly good.
>>
>>47197381
Are you counting card games? Pokemon wasn't bad.
>>
>>47197381
>>47197802
Seconding Gears of wars, it had a very interesting AI mechanic.
>>
I somewhat reluctantly canceled my pledge last night. I have enough models, I dont need a ton more. Mainly though, the gameplay didnt really appeal to me. Just looked pretty boring. The tiles didnt really impress me either, but thats just nitpicking.
>>
>>47189467
That's kind of the case with the video games it's based on too. Through an initial bout of trial and error with occasional hardstops at a new boss, you'll gain the experience required to master the system and exploit it.

Dark Souls isn't that difficult after you've played through it. It's difficult at first because you don't know the rules. After that it becomes significantly easier. I imagine this will be similar: learn the system, learn the boss and you're golden. The RNG elements represent the inherent unpredictability of the game even once you've practices up.
>>
>>47196444
How would invasions even work? Some form of 300ib "that guy" comes over and slaps your table with his model, giving the "what are you gonna do about it" look towards you?
>>
>>47200169
Presumably an invader or two gets slipped randomly into an encounter deck so you have a chance of drawing it.
>>
>>47199328
I'm fairly certain the recasts will start popping up when it comes out.
>>
>>47197381
X-Com, Gears of War, and Civilization are all fucking amazing.
>>
When do we get these fuckers?
>>
File: 6064.jpg (141 KB, 446x508) Image search: [Google]
6064.jpg
141 KB, 446x508
>>47201611
>
>all these new add-ons
>still no priscilla
>>
>>47202178
Shit, you right!
How do you paint white fur anyways?
>>
>>47192862
Just ordered, now to wait 2 and a half years for it to come out.
>>
>>47199058
>>47197802
That and the models are fucking gorgeous for the locust. Not so much for the cog though
>>
>>47203180
They promised summer of 2017. And since Bamco is holding the whip...
>>
>>47202481

Start with a dark grey base.

Layer on a light grey, but don't feel compelled to get it in the cracks and dips.

Lightly brush white on as a highlight.

Thats what I do, I find it looks way better than just splashing white paint all over it.
>>
Is it worth the money if I just want the minis and have no intention of playing the actual game?
>>
File: game designer.jpg (58 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
game designer.jpg
58 KB, 620x387
>>47182480
>oy vey please support our labour of love
>>
>>47203741
I am wondering that myself. I'll probably wait and see how the fuck the actual minis will look when they are made, and then decide if I want to give them cash.

Also, being able to buy it somewhere where I don't pay 30 pounds for shipping.
>>
>>47203741
On my shitty Canadian exchange rate it's still only about 2 bucks a mini after shipping, and they look a lot better than Bones at least.

I'm probably going in for them. I like the 30-35mm scale and it's hard to find fantasy in them.
>>
>>47203616
I'll have to try out some of these days, thanks.
>>
Hey guys, how much money would i need to put on this to obtain all the minis?
>>
>>47206161
A pretty hefty price. £283 euros plus, aka roughly $409 plus shipping and there's going to be 3 retail exclusive bosses that you'd have to get for 100% of the minis. Also £15 for a tile set but I excluded that because no minis.

I'd recommend just the main game + Darkroot if you're looking for raw bang for your buck minis. The extra £28 only gets you a new boss model. The main game comes with 5 boss models, 5 mini boss models, 10 character pieces, 10 armor set pieces, 11 invader characters, and 38 enemies. Dark root for £35 adds 2 more bosses and 13 more enemies.
>>
File: file.png (654 KB, 680x452) Image search: [Google]
file.png
654 KB, 680x452
I'm really mad that Darkroot Basin doesn't include any cats.
>>
>>47206530
Thanks mate, I guess ill not put my money on it.
>>
>>47206668
Fair enough, I guess I know the feeling of wanting 100% of the game or nothing at all. Most of the extra bosses just don't interest me though. 3 dragons where as I've never liked fighting dragons in dark souls, the four kings which is admittedly the most interesting of the bunch but was a lame fight for a lord soul. Asylum Demon which is a huge step backwards picking the tutorial boss, and Old Iron King, because everyone loves giant stationary bosses.

Manus, Father of the Abyss is the only one I'd want and that comes out later at retail anyways. The main game plus Darkroot come with all the iconic ones I loved.
>>
>>47197754

Doom is good with the expansion otherwise horribly horribly unbalanced in the base game alone. Like extremely difficult otherwise with the monster deck for the marine players. Even with massive houseruling to stack advantages towards the marine players they would even die on ep1 knee deep in the dead.
>>
>>47203745
>selling 79 cool-ass minis and 18 eh-whatever minis for $110
>oy vey
The megabosses are a fucking rip though I agree.
>>
>>47206845
>Asylum Demon which is a huge step backwards picking the tutorial boss
Asylum Demon is a very good design and one of the most memorable moments in Dark Souls.
>>
>>47208155
It's well designed as a monster, but if I'm picking them based off fond memories from the games, he just doesn't do anything. He has a big club and he butt stomps every so often. The Chariot is a cool design too but my memories of him is "That glitchy gimmicky boss"
>>
>>47206569
It says it comes with 7 "large" grunts, and I only see 6 (if you include the mushroom child, 5 if you don't) in the picture. Maybe there will be a cat or two, who knows?
>>
>>47202481
I would say light grey base, then drybrush the white on. It's a technique that's very good at bringing out texture.
>>
File: number one.jpg (108 KB, 655x579) Image search: [Google]
number one.jpg
108 KB, 655x579
It's weird to me that these threads get as many posts as the entire board game general.

I get the appeal - it's a cool IP. I've got thousands of hours into Souls games...

but the board game looks like complete shit.
>>
>>47210986
Very few people in this thread seem excited for the board game. My impression was that everyone was paying for the minis.
>>
>>47211115
i want to try the boardgame....

but i want to paint the miniatures much more.
>>
>>47211134

Can I ask why?
What are you going to do with them?
Just put them on a shelf?
>>
>>47186932
If you are just in it to sell off stuff after, leave it. No one cares.

Since I can't be 100% sure I'll like the game, I'm going in for the figures alone. If the game is also fun that's just cherry on the cake.
>>
>>47211175
Miniatures look nice, man.
>>
>>47211175
Not him, but I have a campaign that would definitely benefit from DaS minis.

Though I consider painting minis to leave on a shelf to be pretty legit. I'd have nothing but respect for a dude with a well-painted collection.
>>
File: IMAG0278.jpg (2 MB, 3648x2048) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0278.jpg
2 MB, 3648x2048
>>47211175
Pretty much, i just hoard and paint minis, hell i haven't even played 40k in about 3 years but i still keep buying Orks.
I still keep adding to my Dystopian Wars collection every month too.
>>
>>47211175
I like to use minis for my tabletop games and always have to borrow friends stuff.
>>
>>47211175
plus i find alot of enjoyment in painting miniatures, kind of relaxing.
>>
>>47211258
Goddamn, that's a lot of Orks. I assume they're mostly Orks, kind of hard to tell with the picture quality.

I don't keep a big collection and my stuff is in use so a lot of it is lazy painted and thrown into a bucket, but I always wonder how I'd go about storing minis if I had a lot to keep.
>>
>>47211290
well, the shelves are full of Ork vehicles, HQs and Nobs, all my Ork troops and special weapon take up about 4 small boxes worth.

I have a fair few KRmulticase cases for them, a pretty cheap option, all my ork troops and special weapons are just kept in Battlewagon boxes.
>>
File: solaire unlock.png (925 KB, 678x734) Image search: [Google]
solaire unlock.png
925 KB, 678x734
The thing that's pissing me off is the Solaire rules. Just so much dumb bullshit to unlock something everyone really wants and they started it so late into the campaign.

Also, not at all happy with the idea that I'm backing for the darkroot basin and need to pay extra for tiles
>>
considering most of the characters are rather dark, metal and dirty in design, painting should be quick n easy, no need to fiddle too much.

Except for solaire, he's gonna get a masterwork paintjob, golden glow and everything..
>>
>>47211405
inb4 it's 5 instagrams short...
>>
>>47182480
I feel like it would be pretty easy to convert this into a fully fledged ttrpg by just adding mechanics around what's already there.

Maybe you could space the encounters out, or divide the world into safe and unsafe zones, depending on the scale of the story. The terrain in souls games is weird. In das1 you could walk from one place to any other place in less than ten minutes, but das2 had a lot of areas which weren't really connected, and iirc lots of impossible space.

I feel like it would get kind of dull traveling around if enemies were as common as they are in the souls games. But it's hard to say without playing the board game.

I'd love to play a souls-esque game set in a scifi setting. I'm sure it would be possible to create new enemies, equipment and so on, just basing it on the existing mechanics.

Shame it's not coming out for a while.
>>
>>47211486
i could see all the randomness being removed (except for boss moves and combat) and having a GM pick n choose what happens, what enemies you fight, which direction you explore, make it a bit more structured or narrative or whatever.
>>
>>47211435
bingo
>>
>>47182480
Everything looks great it just concerns me what retail buyers will get. I don't want this Bullshit Kickstart error favoritism to continue.
>>
>>47211653
hopefully, if the shares/retweets were just a bit short, they'll still add solaire, it would be a massive middle finger to people if they didn't.

I think it'll just reach the goal in 4 days time though.
>>
>>47211707
The classy thing to do would be for them to pad the numbers out manually.
>>
>>47211720
classy
>>
>>47211630
That's a good point. Is there any kind of leveling in the base game? It doesn't seem like there'd be any point for a short game, unless the are much more valuable or significant than in the video game, or they're just incredibly frequent.

Does anyone know if the rules are going to be released before the game comes out? I wouldn't mind messing around with them and seeing what i can make.
>>
>>47211788
they mentioned in a demo video, that you can return to the bonfire and spend Souls you collect from enemies, this resets all the encounters in each room.
i assume Souls can be spent to add a +1 bonus to one of the 4 stats for each character.

most Kickstarters have a set of Beta rules for backers, but im more doubtful that there will be Beta rules available for backers on this one.

regardless someone is bound to leak the rulebooks etc as they get printed.
>>
>>47211849
Hopefully they'll release them. Thanks anon.
>>
>>47211405
Is there a counter on this? How close to each thing are we? I can only see the backer numbers.
>>47211115
The production values certainly help hype and I recently just started painting. That being said, I'm mostly in this for the boardgame. A fast paced tactical rpg sounds perfect for my group and I have a group of boardgame players that love Dark Souls.
>>
>>47197381
X-Com is pretty good, especially with a good team and high difficulty.

Civilization is pretty much what you'd expect from it.

So yeah.
>>
>>47212023
but civ the video game was based on a boardgame.
>>
>>47210102
>but if I'm picking them based off fond memories from the games, he just doesn't do anything
Most people didn't play Demon's Souls and their memory of Asylum Demon is FUCK.
>>
So from what I'm watching, this game is Kingdom Death's combat, it's worst aspect, made into the only aspect of the game. Considering how bad the miniatures are doomed to turn out, why would anyone go in on this?
>>
>>47213471
The brand.
>>
>>47213471
WHY DIDNT I BACK KINGDOM DEAD, REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ITS SO FUCKING UNOBTAINABLE NOW.
>>
>>47211115
I'm in it for both. But I admit that because we don't know all the final rules we don't know how good it'll be. Based on their previous products and how they conduct themselves, however, I believe it will be top notch.
>>
>>47211175
DnD yo.
>>
>>47211258
Damn. Nice collection.
>>47211405
Eh, we'll finish off the social goals easily. I agree it should have been done earlier, but at least they listened and went ahead and did it.

The tiles are fairly big so I don't think they're cheap. Also, they aren't needed to play the expansion.
>>
File: 1463045751469.jpg (45 KB, 194x346) Image search: [Google]
1463045751469.jpg
45 KB, 194x346
>>47182480
Already determined I'm getting the Darkroot expansion. Should I do Kalameet and Gaping Dragon or Kalameet and Four Kings? Gaping Dragon is fuck huge but Four Kings is four fucking minis
>>
>>47215377
You should probably be able to see the Four Kings render before you have to pick.
>>
I'm strongly considering going in for the minis only by now. So far my sister brings in her ponies and princesses whenever I run a game for my siblings, having alternatives would be nice.

Since I'm working on the rules for a souls-like RPG anyway(and thanks to an epiphany last night finally got the concept ready), I don't have to bother with searching for decent minis.

I'll be waiting to see the next stretch goals before making a final decision though, need to find someone who owns a credit card anyway.
>>
So i wanted to back this, but i don't see an option to also get the darkroot basin addon, i mean if i was to back the game i would alteast get that aswell.
>>
>>47216632
Add-ons will be handled after the campaign.

You pledge the money for the stuff you want, then get an email for confirming the order. So if you want basic+asylum demon, you pledge 108 pound. But then they release the render for the 4 kings and you want those, so you write that in the form they send you.
>>
>>47214777
I get that, and I'm okay with them wanting money for the iron keep tiles since that is a free expansion. I'm just a little miffed that the darkroot tiles don't come with the darkroot expansion, which I really feel like they should.
>>
>less than 100 more backers til solaire
>>
I have a feeling the minis are going to be bad. Getting way too many for the money.
>>
File: praise_the_sun_by_immp-d8bfvos.jpg (138 KB, 735x1088) Image search: [Google]
praise_the_sun_by_immp-d8bfvos.jpg
138 KB, 735x1088
I'm really glad I managed to just now grab this before it finished. There's no telling if it'd pull a Kingdom Death Monster and just become impossible to buy anywhere except ebay for thousands of dollars. There goes all my disposable income for the month. Whelp thanks /tg/.

>>47217563
Even if the other minis turn out not so great, the bosses look solid enough to make the price worth it. Also you could use the minis for DnD or something else.
>>
>>47217925
>There's no telling if it'd pull a Kingdom Death Monster and just become impossible to buy anywhere except ebay for thousands of dollars.
it won't until the license expires.
>>
>>47217925
This isn't the next Kingdom Death.
1. Kingdom Death is an obscure series that sells well to hardcore fans with lots of money. Once they sold to said people, they left production because it's hard to put it on shelves elsewhere. Dark Souls is mad produced drooling masses pop culture that is selling on its name and recent release only.
2. Kingdom Death is a good game people actually want to pay. Dark Souls is just a mess of stolen ideas that we've seen before with a new skin.
>>
>someone in the KS asked if the game will use artwork it cgi models
>Official response was "we don't know"
>4 days until KS ends

What kind of response is that to something that should be pretty obvious at this point. I really want to back it, but if the game just uses slapped on character models for artwork, in gonna have second thoughts because that's lazy and fugly
>>
>>47218246
That's it. This is absolute /tg/ cancer.
>Game looks like crap and no one wants to even talk about it
>Selling absurd amounts on name alone
>Promises it'll never keep
>The models, the one thing that might redeem the game, is something the makers don't give a fuck about
This should be the laughing stock of /tg/, not something we're unironically backing.
>>
>>47218246
He was probably asking about art on cards or backgrounds. That's not exactly of priority and you could work with either, really.
>>
>>47218246
This is absolute shit posting they literally said that they would be using digital sculpting and in game assets also no manual sculpting, that's not to say that from little information there is out there the game doesn't look shallow as fuck, but they did answer that question.
>>
>>47218246
Their expected release date is April 2017. They have almost a year to decide on this detail that takes very little effort to prepare or change. It'd be better off for them to wait until later anyways to see what artists they'll have available for the cards and how receptive the playerbase is in regards to a given style.

At this time even if they had an idea they'd be safer not locking in an answer. They have their focuses elsewhere.
>>
>>47215800

Not to mention, I'm (fairly) certain it was already stated in the ama that it was just 4 copies of the one mini, not 4 separate sculpts.
>>
>>47218791
>>47219258
Refer to >>47218821

The question had nothing to do with the miniatures.
>>
Is the game getting a release in Japan? Obviously the licensing deal is probably through Bandai Namco rather than working with FROM directly, but it is rather interesting that even though the franchise is Japanese there doesn't seem to be any signs of targeting the Japanese market either.
>>
>>47197381
Age of Empires (the one based on the Conquistadors) was pretty great. Had very little in common with the computer game aside from the theme though - it was a worker placer Euro with a light conflict/territory control - the addition of the territory control dimension made it a lot more interesting than other worker placers with more potential routes to victory.
>>
>>47217925
Lol.

It won't pull a Kingdom Death because that's literally a one man show making the game that is literally his dream. It had literally 2 copies go to retailers and had a production run of less than 10k.

This is a game based off of a popular video game, done so because of the games popularity and makes money off the name value alone.
This is the type of game you find at Target.
>>
>>47219780
it will probably be a japanese release, dark souls is very popular in japan as well, and japanese Traditional gaming is a growing market, not to mention figma collectors wanting them.
>>
>>47215800
>>47215377
At the rate they're showing renders, the campaign will be over before we see the 4Kings one
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 300x164) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 300x164
>>47218192
>nobody steals gaming concepts in Traditional gaming EVAR!!

Dude, grow up. Besides, I prefer this over kingdom death because I could literally get anyone I know to play in an instant. Also it takes the best parts of Kingdom death and wraps it into a mini bundle with dark souls aesthetic.
>>
>>47221082
Yeah but you don't have to select what mega bosses you want until well after that.
>>
I just did it. I pulled the trigger. I want these figures. But I wasn't able to afford all of the ones I want and still pay rent this month. All of these are going to be available at retailers eventually, right?
>>
>>47222780
Yep, no KS exclusive.
>>
>>47222843
Except maybe Solaire
>>
>>47222945
I doubt it. They've been consistent on not having any KS exclusives. He'll probably either be lumped into the core game or put into the summons expansion.
>>
>>47221618
>best parts of Kingdom death
The combat is the worst part of KD, the best part is the settlement management.
>>
>>47224715
I like the idea a lot, yeah, but i'd rather have it in a more army management game, rather than a 4-team action RPG. DS:TBG is there for those who want one over the other, which I prefer.
>>
>>47225097
It is bascially army management though because you have a pool of survivors.

In fact I would say KDM actually does what you want much better because of said pool of heroes instead of having 'muh solaire and knight 2 manning errything' but eh that's just me.
>>
>>47182480
backed 108 for kalameet.

I'm hoping the currency conversion into AU drops by monday, as it's almost 200AU compared to 150 a few weeks ago when I first checked.

I'm keen as shit for it
>>
>>47225774
One of the FAQs mentioned that they might add Gough's arrow to the Kalameet model, the arrow that brought him down.

Thoughts on that?
>>
>>47222843
>>
>>47225837
Not sure. Though I like the look of uninjured Kalameet, I wouldn't be too upset if he was injured, as it would make sense to copy what the game did.

My girlfriend is just happy to paint the models, so it'll look great either way
>>
>>47225924
on the topic of model painting, how should one go about painting PVC? What kind of paint should I use to stop flaking?
>>
>>47225954
certainly don't use Enamel otherwise it gets melty, sticky and tacky.
add a matt varnish over afterwards ofcourse.

use model acrylics and a model acrylic primer spray, hand priming tends to leave the kind of plastic INCREDIBLY glossy, even after several coats, and i've found simply using GW or Army Painter spray Primers stops that mostly.
>>
>>47225954
the same way you would go about painting Games Workshop models or anything else: use model primer and acrylic model paints. Good brands to look into for primers are Citadel, Army Painter or P3. For acrylic paints, Citadel, P3, Vallejo, and Reaper are all good brands.
>>
>>47226239
>>47226190

cheers guys
>>
>>47225924
I'm ultra excited to be able to paint these minis. Kinda worried painting all of the grunts will get boring but I'm ecstatic to be able to paint the bigger bosses like Dancer and Artorias
>>
>>47226287
Call the little guys practice.
>>
So kalameet is known as a 1 eyed dragon...Is it because he's missing an eye, or is it because he has no eyes other than the star thing on his head? I never played the DS1 dlc and can't tell from google pictures.
>>
>>47226744
I think its the latter. He has levitation abilities using the red eye
>>
>>47225139
True. But there's a bit too much "clutter" for me. And I think I have a likeness for both Army and Squad type games. Used to LOVE playing experianced-mode Heroscape back in the day, so DS:TBG has that feel what with the constantly building world
If i had the money though, I'd probably own both DS and KD, but y'know, rent...
>>
>>47226779

Darn, that really kills a lot of my interest in kalameet, who was really the only mega boss I was interested in, though I know its a minour gripe. Gaping dragon's render looks cool, but it seems like its lacking detail/definition and I'm not a fan of the guardian dragon. Four kings seems like it'll be kinda lame getting 4 copies of the same sculpt and asylum demon...Well he's asylum demon :( Really just wanted a big ass dragon type creature for megaboss...Here's to hoping for ancient dragon I guess.

Or Yhorm, I'd be cool with Yhorm too, though I know it'll never happen in the KS.
>>
>>47226257
Go ahead and check out the WIP General too. And there are a ton of things on youtube about the basics of model painting. I only got into it a few months ago and I think it's incredibly rewarding seeing something you've painted come together
>>
>>47206569

Finally, an Artorias model.

Now we just need a tiny wolf figure from whatever third-party producer and you can have it help you when you fight Manus, Hands of the Abyss. Or was he the Father of Fate?
>>
I have no interest in it since it really lacks much that makes it seem 'dark souls'.

There's no way to predict a boss' wind up for attacks besides going through the boss attack deck and then going through it again, meaning you either just run in circles like a ninny for five or so turns or you risk massive damage. In Dark Souls you can reasonably predict what most attacks are going to do the FIRST TIME YOU SEE THEM. But there's no way to know what the boss is about to do first tim through their deck.

And dice for combat. WHY? Why are there dice for combat? Besides AI attack patterns and item drop rates, there is absolutely no randomness in dark souls. You do damage cause you GOT GOOD not cause you got a lucky tripple crit. Why should I have a turn were I get shit damage just because of a roll?

The only 'getting good' in dark souls the board game is memorizing the bosses attack pattern, which will change halfway through the fight, meaning you'll likely need to spend five more turns running around like a retard to relearn the new pattern.

The game reeks of potential mediocrity. Not going to back it and I have no plans on buying it.
>>
>>47227021
Father of The Abyss.
>>
>>47227093
That's a really valid argument. I'm curious how much your character's loadout is going to affect your character's rolls. Maybe some weapons will give a static +2 damage or so? I mean, realistically, it'll probably add more dice to attacks, but maybe they'll go in a different direction. Honestly, I'm more interested in the figures, and think of the game as a difficult board game that's dark souls themed. "Themed" being the operative word there.
>>
So, how do "Summoned" minis even work gameplay-wise? I didn't read anything on it.

Also I have both Kingdom Death and Super Dungeon Explore that I never ended up playing because I only have one other person into that kinda stuff. Should I look into selling KD
>>
I hope the miniatures look nice next to my KD minis. There's a running joke in my tabletop group that the women in my settings are always taller than the men because the KD pin-ups are taller than all the 25mm fantasy miniatures I have.
>>
>>47227273
They haven't mentioned it in any way.

The guess is they'll be just like grunts only in reverse.
>>
>>47227273
do you live in the netherlands?

>>47227287
why do all you assholes have KD, its fucking unobtainable.
>>
>>47227336
No, I don't. I'm from the Downriver area of Michigan.

I also backed KD like 5 hours before the KS ended.
>>
File: title.jpg (19 KB, 410x307) Image search: [Google]
title.jpg
19 KB, 410x307
>>47227149

Ah, got it.
>>
>>47227336
I missed the KS on KD and I've regretted it for years. I managed to pick it up really easily on one of the release waves though.

The store should restock eventually and you'll be able to order it straight from there. I didn't even realize there was a difficulty getting it.
>>
>>47226916
I wish they had made Quelagg. She was by far my favorite boss design.
>>
>>47227174
+2s will not fucking save the fucking system. If you look at the dice and listen to them talk you can guess that blue dice have a max of 2 pips on them. Looking in the image you only see 2 numbers and a blank space. Watching the pools be rolled all in blue point highly to only two fucking sides having numbers.

Going off the warrior having some range of 0-6 damage per roll with it most likely being 0 fucking damage.

Now take into account that you have to EARN weapons and armor through random drops. Unless you can farm random drops WHICH IS A FUCKING BORING CONCEPT you'll have a very good chance of being murdered first room.

So either you have +X in which case the dice rolls are pointless or you have a shit ton of just doing fucking nothing. If you even have +2 you can guarantee boss kills. So having 30 hp on the one they showed and two peole you just have to have 15 hits between the two and it's dead, have the two of them cherry tap it for 4 a piece and then get like 3 nodes away and they're inviable, play a little keep away for recover and then have them go back to repeat 3 more rounds and it's dead, no fucking care of what it does if you can get out of it's range. Having +X for dodge or block rolls will also just cause you to be invincible so I doubt they'll have such a mechanism about.

Now on the "but what about the other dice?" the fact they have blank sides on the blue is pretty telling they're caring it over to the others. My guess is that the red die is 3 blank and 1-2, and green is 2 blank and 1-4. All of them have to have a blank side but even just having 1 or 2 is leading to ultimate kite set up that removes everything from the game.

It's just a bad system fullstop.
>>
I wish they could do Demons Souls bosses as well. They had a good grip of good boss ideas, but I feel the gimmicks they had were implemented too easily. It'd be nice for any sort of revisit.
>>
>>47227404

they can easily change the dice between now and shipping. They haven't started production yet, and are still balancing. Chances are the system will end up fine
>>
>>47227093
I just thought of a system that could work. Have the backs of cards have tells in the form of art of the enemy.
>>
>>47227435
The problem is nothing will solve it. Having a minimum of 1 will cause kiting to just win the game. Maybe a single 0 side might reduce this but it's just going to make kiting take longer on average.
>>
File: dank.jpg (109 KB, 680x407) Image search: [Google]
dank.jpg
109 KB, 680x407
>>47227475
I think just having the first symbol (but not number values) of each attack (Axe, movement, turn, etc) on the back of card would be better, along with using all attack cards, not just 5.
That way, you some idea of what any given card is going to do during what would be the "wind up" animation. Eventually you'd learn the full moveset and can make calculated risk assessment based on your knowledge of the moveset, what moves have already been used, and what the next attack is (or isn't) likely to be. It's not a perfect system since you can't accurately capture an action game in turns, but I think it's a hell of a lot better than "wait 5 turns while you memorize the moveset"
>>
I'm thinking about backing it
mainly because tiny plastic miniatures are my game fetish
don't even care about the gameplay, truth be told
>>
So, Solaire has just been unlocked:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game/posts/1574422

The stretch goals are nice, but all I ever wanted was Ornstein, and as he is in the base game, I'm set for the most part.
I'm honestly hoping for either Quelaag or Priscilla before the campaign is done just because I'd like some variety in the mega-bosses.
>>
>>47229741
so any info in what set/expansion he's included in? the invaders set?
>>
>>47229847
Next stretch goal is another summon, so probably gonna be a set of them and he'd be in that, I'd say.
>>
>>47229847
Nothing I've seen. They'd probably stick it with the main game or maybe the player class expansion.
They have just started the summoned NPC expansion, so it wouldn't surprise me if they threw him in there either.
I did read somewhere that if they only got part way through the stretch goals for an expansion it would just be easiest to manufacture the complete set and distribute that as they wouldn't want to have to deal with people complaining about have to rebuy an expansion later when they already have half the models. I don't have a source for that on hand though.
>>
>>47229934
ok, good to know, gonna love painting him in all his incandescent glory.
>>
The summons and invaders might also be really fun for onlookers or spectators to drop-in and drop-out of a game in progress, to try the game for themselves in a quick spurt instead of dedicating to a whole game at once.
i can imagine a store owner to just come out of nowhere and plop an invader or solaire on the board and just join in for a fight or two.
>>
File: 6Uqn96l.gif (52 KB, 204x204) Image search: [Google]
6Uqn96l.gif
52 KB, 204x204
>>47229971
That brings up a good question

Would you give him his original colors or as a gold phantom?
>>
>>47230298
i would paint him in his natural colors, but ad a golden highlight all over, same with the invaders, normal colors with a red glow as a highlight.
>>
>>47230343
as a side note, anyone got any painted examples for painting glowing auras like in the DS games over a model?
>>
File: 1461762665581.png (152 KB, 400x433) Image search: [Google]
1461762665581.png
152 KB, 400x433
>>47230343
I'm going for normal colors with Solaire then the invaders get their red glow. Still unsure if I just want to do all black with red glow or normal colors, then a red tint over it all. I like natural colors but red phantoms are predominately red and black

Plus painting black with red would be way easier
>>
>>47230392
yeah, on second thought, doing black with red much easier, solaire i guess would be dark gold with silver highlights if i did him in his golden glow?
>>
>>47230437
He's a little trickier since you have to get the red and green from his tunic as well. I'm not really sure how to do that one
>>
>>47230463
yeah, ill figure soemthing out, im right now thinking ill do bright gold edge highlights over an otherwise normal paintjob.
>>
>>47225874
I totally forgot about the coin.
You nitpicky... you.
>>
>>47226916
Beat Kalameet yesterday in DS1 DLC.

I loved the shit out of it's design.
>>
>>47230522
a coin, the only exclusive so far?
that's fine, ive got plenty of skull shaped tokens.
>>
>>47182480
Was considering getting the 4kids considering they're more iconic but I'm not sure if I like this mini. You do get four of them though.

Hmm...mmmmm.....
>>
>>47230600
Right? Who cares.

>>47230616
I like 4kings, I can't tell if I like that mini either...
I guess I'm a bit disappointed they cut him down by the legs, then again I guess it makes sense...
>>
>>47230635
They'd be really easy to paint though. I don't like the cut off either. I might go with Gaping Dragon, mmmmmmmmmmmaybe Old Iron King. He looks like a fun paint
>>
>>47230616
i can see four exact copies of this mini being really bad to look at, all posed the same, all the wavy strands of their cloak or whatever in the exact same shape too, well, its 4 models for the price of one mega boss, might be fun in the game, might be ridiculous as fuck.
>>
>>47230673
I can't decide if I want to complete Iron Keep or Darkroot Besin, I'm one of the few people on earth that actually liked Dark Souls 2.
>>
File: 1462677191362.png (173 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1462677191362.png
173 KB, 700x700
>>47230692
Old Iron King would fit in with Alonne and crew but four mega sized models for the price of one? I just don't know man. The choice is killing me

Kalameet is a locked in choice for sure though
>>
>>47230718
I was so sure about 4 kings... but now...

I'm down with Darkroot Besin with Artorias and all that.
I even bought the extra Tiles and shit.
But my god, Kalameet would fit right in with Artorias and such.

If I go with 4 kings, both the sets will be incomplete.
>>
File: 1462778208225.png (433 KB, 578x435) Image search: [Google]
1462778208225.png
433 KB, 578x435
>>47230798
You've got a point. I got the Darkroot set so Kalameet fits right in. It makes sense to get the mega boss of the Iron Keep to fight after Alonne/Smelter

Plus I'm a massive DaS1 faggot in my circle of friends so if I get Gaping or Four Kings I'll look bad
>>
>>47230885
I feel you man, since I'm the only guy who likes DS2, my friends would lynch me if I gunned for Old Iron King... Maybe Kalameet should be my pick instead.

But then again, 4 kings are so fucking cool...
>>
File: 1462422468919.png (214 KB, 625x475) Image search: [Google]
1462422468919.png
214 KB, 625x475
>>47230929
The more I look at it, the more Gaping Dragon calls to me

He isn't even that hard, completely skippable, even, Why do I want it so badly?

Let's pick for each other, anon
>>
>>47230946
the big gaping hole full of decayed guts and teeth, aka satans centipede.

looks cool as fuck, i can imagine he'd do a ton of charging attacks in the board game.
>>
>>47230946
Gaping Dragon, you know the rules will make him dangerous as fuck.
>>
Ludwig, The Accursed when?
>>
>>47231027
That's Bloodborne, not Dark Souls.
>>
File: 1461980101039.jpg (115 KB, 700x446) Image search: [Google]
1461980101039.jpg
115 KB, 700x446
>>47230968
>>47230986
The last AMA even mentioned a corrosion mechanic for the Gaping Dragon, which sounds ominous as fuck. Think Imma go for it

Anon, get Old Iron King. He fits in with the Iron Keep expansion and you know you want him

I'm really tempted to buy Gaping and Iron King but that'll take me above 250 bucks which I'll probably regret spending really quickly.

Speaking of, what do you guys think the price for these expansions will be after the Kickstarter? Would it be worth it to pick up stuff now while its (maybe) cheaper or just wait?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.