[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What houserules does your group have? Make sure to list what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 19
File: 1453467090929.png (2 KB, 177x149) Image search: [Google]
1453467090929.png
2 KB, 177x149
What houserules does your group have? Make sure to list what system they're applicable to.
>>
>>47178775
Everyone has to suck the DM's dick atleast once.
This applies to all systems.
It's the only way we can get someone to DM.
>>
>>47178837
What happens if it's a girl?
>>
>>47178837
Once for a game, twice for gestalt, and three times for the venue
>>
>>47178847
Then we suck her dick, obviously
>>
Is that Watson as Gary Gygax?
>>
If your cell phone goes off during play, the DM gets to change it to whatever song he chooses.
>>
>>47179094
It's supposed to be the stock image guy, but that works too.
>>
"Floor dice don't count".
>>
>>47178775
Any bluff or diplomacy checks must be spoken aloud, and a bonus to the check may come if I'm pleased with your performance.
>>
>>47178775
>>47179619
For one of my groups we use dice trays and anything outside of the tray doesn't count. This has saved many an argument.
>>
>>47178775
not dnd but to make 40k enjoyable our little crew has "have to use CAD with 1 superheavy allowed at 1850"
>>
File: 1461226984468.jpg (54 KB, 340x400) Image search: [Google]
1461226984468.jpg
54 KB, 340x400
Always roll to confirm 1's for dramatic effect. Don't confirm? Just a miss/add your skills and you likely suck. Confirm? I get to pull something out of my ass, or I roll on my table of suck.

This is for a 3.pf game, and it counts for all 1d20 rolls, skills or attacks. Skills can't crit, but they can crit fail. Pic related, one of my player's character.
>>
5e
>If you roll a 20 on a death save, you're up with 1hp
>keep rolling for a couple turns after you've been stabilized in case you get a 20 and can get up
>hex's disadvantage on ability checks can also apply to a spell save as long as you don't abuse it

First one is kind of silly, I had a level 1 barbarian solo a boss fight by stabilizing right when the boss turned his back, and then critting him
>>
Savage Worlds:
>Fuck card-based initiative, roll a d12 and add your Agility to it to start combat. No, you don't roll it every turn because that's retarded too
>Shotguns are broken as shit RAW, if they aren't sawn-offs they get just a +1 to hit instead of +2
>It's in the corebook but we use the damage option that makes you roll on the injury table every time you take a wound
>>
File: 1416870035345.jpg (696 KB, 1981x2580) Image search: [Google]
1416870035345.jpg
696 KB, 1981x2580
>>47178775
If you can't hide it in your own ass you can't hide it in your characters ass.
>>
No specific system, but DnD in general
>If something hits your character hard enough to slap off a quarter of your hitpoints, you get a scar from it, depending on what were you hit with
>Yes, talking is a free action, but keep it brief in combat (unless you're about to trade witty insults with the not!Skeletor villain)
>The DM may or may not give you a tiny bit of extra experience for good roleplaying
>Wheneve the barbarian has Bull Strength, activates Haste and prepares to run 400ft. for a jump, drink
A certain player in our group read the rules about jumping and succceeded in breaking them. The more further you run, the further and higher you will jump. All he needs is a featherfall potion for save landing. Lucky for the DM, he only uses it for fun and tries not to ruin the DM's plans too often.
>>
>>47178775
I only got one. The person that starts an autistic discussion about nothing immediately gets the group into combat. The combat may or may not include the ground slipping under the offending party's feet, only to reveal a giant scorpion.
>>
>>47183024
....what is going on in that picture?
>>
"God looks out for drunks" in Unknown Armies costs 2 significant charges, not 1.

In the same system, significant charges only break down into 8, instead of 10 as written in the book.
>>
>>47180548
Thanks for making martials suck 90% more often than casters.
>>
>>47183116
She's changing the barrel on that AUG.
>>
AD&D
>We don't have enough time to wait for the Wizards to level up. They level up as fighters now
>Fighters have priority on all magic loot.
>Thieves has priority on potions.
>Clerics have priority on relics.
>Wizards have priority on Books
>If you roll a monk you get nothing.
>>
In 3.5:

If an attacker beats a defender's ac by more than 5, then the defender's concealment resulting from a spell or spell like ability, if any, is reduced by a number of percentage points equal to the number of points by which the attacker's attack roll exceeds the defender's ac.
>>
>>47178775
>All systems
No rape.

>inb4 hypocritical
>inb4 but what about all the wonderful things it brings to the game like... nothing

Nope. Just no.
>>
>>47184369
This says more about your own problems than anything.

You are That Guy.
>>
>>47184369
ditto, but because my players think that they'll be free of trouble and that they're fully free of rape.
>>
>>47178775
All System
If anyone makes a "That's what she said" joke and no one else laughs within 10 seconds, they have to remain mute until the GM determines they are required to talk.
>>
>>47184428
>You don't like rape in your gaming
>Clearly a sign of personal problems
>You are That Guy.
I fail to see your reasoning.
Do you have any?

>>47184510
>because my players think that they'll be free of trouble
I get that.

>and that they're fully free of rape.
But wouldn't they be, because no rape?
Or are you referring to "rape" as in devastating loss?
>>
>>47184369

Story now
>>
>>47184869
My bad, I meant that if they want to rape people in the campaign, they have to accept that they can get raped too. Otherwise there's no rape in the campaign at all.
>>
File: uno.jpg (23 KB, 320x300) Image search: [Google]
uno.jpg
23 KB, 320x300
>>47178775
Uno:

Slaps on identical cards (red 3 on red 3 for example.) Play skips to the player after you.

Stacking +2s
-Also stacking +4s, but if you play a +4 and change the color the next player can only stack a +2 if it's of the color to which the +4 changed play.

If someone plays a 6 on top of two other 6s, everyone discards his hand and redraws the same number of cards he just had. The player who summoned Satan draws one less.

If someone plays a 7 on top of two other 7s, he gets to play whatever he wants on top of that third 7.

If someone plays the third number in some kind of numerical order (plays a 5 on top of a 4 which is on top of a 3, or plays a 7 on top of an 8 which is on top of a 9) that person is allowed to change either the color or the direction of play.

There are a few more but I can't remember them off the top of my head.
>>
File: SwordRabbit.jpg (63 KB, 465x393) Image search: [Google]
SwordRabbit.jpg
63 KB, 465x393
>OSR
When you hit 0 HP, save vs. death ray. If you succeed, you're only knocked out.
You get your full hit die at first level.
Clerics get access to a limited selection of weapons and armor allowed by their god.
Magic-Users can use crossbows so they're not stuck throwing darts.
In case of firearms, refluff the heavy crossbow and force a morale check on the first time it's fired.
Halflings/Hobbits don't exist. Only rabbit-men.
>>
>>47185061
>Halflings/Hobbits don't exist. Only rabbit-men.

Stealing this
>>
>>47184913
No particularly interesting story.
Just after having an argument with a player, explaining that while evil and violent actions were okay, rape made some people uncomfortable and only adds rape to the game, so please stop.
The valid points were that it's hypocritical to allow murder and not rape (don't care) and that a player can't be expected to know that if it's not made clear, hence the houserule.
His pc still didn't rape the shopkeeper who didn't dig his low Char roll.

>>47184929
Ah, that makes sense.
>>
File: TraditionarGames.png (846 KB, 673x599) Image search: [Google]
TraditionarGames.png
846 KB, 673x599
>>47185061
>>
>>47185125
/tg/ can discuss about almost any topic and develop a rather interesting thread. The problem comes when some autist cries about discussing certain topics isn't /tg/ related
>>
Tell me if this is a bad idea.
I have people that have been playing for over a year.
I still sometimes get questions about where to find numbers that are right on the character sheet. (Roll against your acrobatics skill and give me your margin of success. Where is that? How many dice? What is a margin of success?)
I want people to wisen up because it feels like sometimes people are just wasting time, so I'm thinking that from now on, barring that the person is new, if you ask me where to find a number that is right in front of you on a piece of paper you have been looking at for over a year, you automatically get the worst possible result on the roll after I tell you where to find it.
>>
File: mail.google.com.jpg (65 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
mail.google.com.jpg
65 KB, 600x800
>>47183161

This is so meta and speaks of a gaming group that A, is greedy, and B, Twinks.
>>
I play D&D with my friends.

My players demanded critical successes on skill checks and refused critical failures.

Before I was DM, they were saying you could trade movement actions for standard actions, so everyone was just standing around attacking twice.

My players are obsessed with cutting off hands, and they thought just beating the AC and then beating the AC again with a -2 was enough to chop off a hand. I've forced them to use modified sundering rules.

As far as house rules that I actually approve of go, I allow every class that uses prepared spells to have some particular feat as a bonus feat (can't remember what it's called now) which allows you to leave a few slots open and fill it on the fly as needed. Had to do this because my friends are too lazy to prepare properly.

I've decided to sort of pause combat for a little longer than I should, when my players start trying to role play dialogue during combat, since they don't role play all that much. So while I would normally try to keep things moving while they're speaking, I allow them to have a short conversation with each other or the enemy before moving things along.
>>
>>47178775
I run a Dungeon World game, so pretty much every rule is houseruled.
>>
>>47179968
i like that
>>
>>47185174
>/tg/ can discuss about almost any topic and develop a rather interesting thread.
True enough, my image depicts one such lively discussion.
Or Bullywog and Rabbitfolk warfare?
>>
File: AkuHasDoubts.jpg (8 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
AkuHasDoubts.jpg
8 KB, 259x194
>>47185317
>if you ask me where to find a number that is right in front of you on a piece of paper you have been looking at for over a year, you automatically get the worst possible result on the roll after I tell you where to find it.
This is passive aggressive and stupid.
But, I honestly can't think of a better (non-violent) solution.

Unless you let them play with their phones, etc, during the game.
Distracted players never learn anything.

Are you sure they want to be there?
>>
>>47185834
>My players demanded critical successes on skill checks and refused critical failures.

And you're too much of a pussy to walk away.
>>
>>47178775
Dice Pool games have 666 and 777 rules. If you get 666 in a roll, it counts as a failure. If you get 777, it counts as a success.
>>
>>47185834
>I've decided to sort of pause combat for a little longer than I should, when my players start trying to role play dialogue during combat, since they don't role play all that much.
Doing it right.

>My players demanded critical successes on skill checks and refused critical failures.
see
>>47187474
>>
>>47180548
Absolute garbage.
>>
>EotE
You may trade 2 advantages for a hit if the sum of hits/misses is 0

We got agrivated with getting 5 advantages and no hits on some rolls.
>>
>>47178775
We play D&D 3.5 and ignore almost all of the rules
>>
>>47178775
WoD in general: 10's cancel out one 1 and since this makes people get more successes, then some extraordinary feats require more than 1 success.
>>
>>47178775
You're not allowed to play anything that isn't a loli
>>
>>47188568
>You aren't allowed to come if you admit to regularly visiting /a/.
>>
>>47187822
God, I need this rule in my group. We regularly play and the dice system is so great in concept but so horribly flawed in execution with the amount of times I've rolled a failure on a check with a handful of advantages, even on average difficulty checks I'm skilled in with 3 ranks I've failed more than once. The separation of advantage and success is such bullshit sometimes, because one is a helluva lot more important than the other.
>>
>>47188648
>you aren't allowed to come
>edging at the game table
Lewd
>>
D&D 5e

>if you take a hit that would drop you to 0 and you have a shield, the shield is destroyed and you take half damage instead.
>Rapiers can be duel-wielded with daggers (a la historical fencing), despite not being 'Light'. Normal two-weapon fighting rules apply.
>For things like searching a room, you can either describe every action you want to take and risk missing something, or you can roll for it and take the consequences.
>>
>>47178775
if you get a critical on your critical confirmation roll then your crit multiplier is bumped up by one, however you have to then confirm the crit on your crit. I got a keen falchion before i knew this, my gm hates me. Also pathfinder is game
>>
>>47183129
>>47187571

It sounds to me like he was trying to say that you roll to confirm if 1's are CRITICAL FAILURES or just misses.
>>
>>47180548
>Skills can't crit, but they can crit fail.
Why would you do this?
>>
>>47189615
guy that said this
>>47189665
holy fuck i missed that that's dumb
>>
>>47187474
I'm not gonna walk away because they're my friends. Like, Most of them have been close friends for 10 or so years. I'm willing to give consolations, because they're willing to play my weird and ever changing setting.
>>
I usually adapt these for any system I run, but this was for a fantasycraft game.

Zones and distance. Nearby, close, far, visible, not.

Nearby- within arms reach or can be reached in a few a seconds. Melee range. (5-7ft)

Close- A short hop or stride away, such as the room over or a hanging Chandler. Melee range of you have reach. (8-15ft)

Far-would take a moment to reach, but you can get there within a moment or turn. Ideal ranged attack range. (20-40ft)

Visible- everything you can see that is beyond far. (50+ft)

Not- not here or visible. Here for "debugging" and remote effects.
Reactive Initiative. Roll initiative. Lowest score declare actions first, then higher scores resolve first.

Escalation die- at the start of the second turn of combat, a single d6 is placed on the table and you set it to 1. At the start of every turn, raise it by one. All players and special characters add this value to attacks and damage.

Failing forward-if you possess sufficient skill at something but still fail, you'll succeed... But at a cost. The DM will get an action die, impose a penalty, change the situation, or you might lose some resource.

Narrative control- I'll occasionally ask you an open ended question about the world, like "who's the proprietor of the inn" or "why do you think hes lying?" Your answer will be canonized unless vetoed.

Bonds-all players at the start of a new group tell a story about how they know each other unless special circumstances are dictated by the DM.

Belief, instinct, goal- all players must list a core belief, their default instinct in a situation, and a major goal they have.

Illustration-no matter how shitty it is, draw a picture of your character in a box in your character sheet.

Advantage/disadvantage- rather than mess around with +2/-2 situational bonuses I'll give you advantage of disadvantage. With advantage, roll twice and keep the highest. With disadvantage, roll twice and take the lowest.
>>
File: rocks fall everyone naps.jpg (115 KB, 394x384) Image search: [Google]
rocks fall everyone naps.jpg
115 KB, 394x384
>>47178775
I like running fun lighthearted games. So the extant of my houserules usually just come down to don't be an edgelord, don't try to fuck over the party, and if you can't imagine whatever you're about to do being featured in a pg-13 movie then don't even bother.
>>
>>47188740
That's just how things go. You can fuck up and things turn out good for you or you can succeed and shit still doesn't go as well as it could have.
>>
Pathfinder
Martials get combat expertise free
It really doesn't help, please group let us try Savage worlds or something else fast ;_;
>>
In 5E we can swap out the move action for another regular action.
I think it's just a misunderstanding of the rules more than anything.
>>
>>47178775
>Dice not on the play surface don't count
>If you can't balance another die on top of a questionable die then it's too cocked
>(only for d20 games) Rolling exactly 3 natural 20s in a row in combat causes the combat to end with the roller being the victor. It doesn't have to be on the same turn but it does have to be in the same encounter.
>(only for d20 games) Rolling exactly 3 natural 1s in a row in combat causes the combat to end with the roller being the loser. Like above.
>>
3.X

Healing spells act like different rates of fast healing. They also leave scars/bones have to be set/won't heal lost limbs without regenerate. Basically just rapidly enhances metabolic cellular regeneration.

Eschew materials isn't a thing and casters must have spell components. No bag of "I've got everything I need". My regular caster players actually enjoy it for that little bit of lore depth, it's also fun figuring out what components fit with spells they've created.

Any class can cast a spell, it just requires more time and materials including knowledge of the spell intricacies. Kind of like a ritual.

My group never really power games and have always made flavorful characters.
>>
>applies to pretty much every System
>things are either nearby, far away or too far away.
this is mainly important for combat.
you can reach everything that is nearby with one move action.
you can reach everything that is far away with a full action or a range attack.
i always found that exact measures are unnecessary.
>>
>You have to play something you've never played before for your first two characters if you're new to the hobby.
>No more than two characters in a row who were the same race+class combination.
>>
>>47191144
That's a good one.
>>
>>47179619
We had a fucktard who thought it was funny/cute to roll his dice so the fell off the table. We ended that shit with the following rule, "All dice that hit the floor count as their least favorable result." Suddenly droppsy stopped throwing his dice every-fucking-where.
>>
>>47179861
going to borrow this.
>>
>>47185174
No, the problem is when fucktards try to force it. When it happens organically it leads to amusing threads, when idiots force it we end up with retarded shit like the Rape Factory.
>>
File: 1461367680585.png (28 KB, 186x208) Image search: [Google]
1461367680585.png
28 KB, 186x208
>>47181580
>you can do this tremendously beneficial thing as long as you don't abuse it
>>
>>47191631
It's called self control. If he starts hogging the spotlight with the house rule, the house rule is removed. It's that simple.
>>
File: 1419658870802.png (772 KB, 600x720) Image search: [Google]
1419658870802.png
772 KB, 600x720
>>47178775
>All systems
XP is rewarded exclusively on the basis of roleplaying and mission objectives, extra is available for being a good player (keeping notes, knowing your shit, making combat run smoothly, etc.).

GMs receive 1/3 of the group's XP at the end of the session, plus a decent static amount. Rotational GMing is mandatory.

Playing as a cute girl will merit some manner of one-time bonus.

>WoD, mainly VtM
Appearance gives a flat dice bonus to most social rolls rather than doing nothing at all.

Reactive initiative on the first round of combat, afterwards proceeds to regular initiative.

No Nosferatu, no Monstrous appearance trait, no Gangrel furfag traits, no African bloodlines, no ultra-obscure shit.

>40k, mainly BC and RT
No fucking techpriests, no Space Marines, no servo-arms.

>D&D
Alignment doesn't exist, and there are no "official" pantheon members.

Rogue gets Dex to damage.

2 extra skill points per level for everyone, must be invested in a creative/artist/artisan skill.

Anti-magic field's emanation cannot be blocked by anything.
>>
>>47191791
You just really want vampires to be pretty, don't you.
>>
>>47191817
I want everyone and everything to be pretty.
>>
>>47178775
Golden Houserule
>RAW a shit, none of these rules matter if they make it hard to have fun. There are exceptions to pretty much everything, treat the rules less like laws to be obeyed and more like guides to help you along.

General Rules, mainly for newcomers and to get people in the mindset our longer-running players and GM prefer to cultivate.
>Mobile phones/handheld games/etc off or left at home.
>GM is the only one allowed to have a laptop out for his notes.
>Keep off-topic discussion down wherever possible.
>Say what your character is doing, and if the GM feels it requires a roll he'll tell you what to roll. Try to avoid just saying what you're doing in the form of what check you're making.
>When making a new character, players must go over their concept with the GM and try to figure out a few goals, plot hooks and/or relationships with potentially important NPCs, as well as to ensure the player has not overlooked something essential during character creation such as options that don't exist in the setting or mechanical errors. This also allows PCs and the GM to work together to figure out how to make a fluff concept work in-game if there isn't a specific rule to help it along already.
>Players are encouraged to not overshare character details out of character. Roleplayed interaction between party members is recommended instead. The GM will work with players to accommodate for party makeups with overlap or missing positions (ex: a D&D game with three clerics, or a spaceship crew with no dedicated pilot PC).

Current Game / System Specific (D&D5E)
>The Beasmaster Ranger's companion doesn't share an action economy with its master; you no longer need to spend actions to command it.
>Spears and tridents can benefit from polearm-specific abilities such as the Polearm Master feat so long as they are used two-handed in melee combat.
>>
File: 1460722059058.jpg (25 KB, 321x322) Image search: [Google]
1460722059058.jpg
25 KB, 321x322
>>47191829
You're a good man.
>>
File: Ranger level 7.jpg (162 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Ranger level 7.jpg
162 KB, 500x500
>>47191987
>The Beasmaster Ranger's companion doesn't share an action economy with its master; you no longer need to spend actions to command it.

It's like you actually want them to be functional.
>>
>>47184674
Oh my god, I'm stealing this. One of my players can be fucking obnoxious with this type of shit.
>>

28 Point buy
Max HP for players and monsters
Every player gets a free exotic weapon proficiency

Paladin – Paladins can be Lawful Good, Lawful Nuetral or Lawful Evil. Paladins gain the cleric's ability to cast a cure spell by dropping another spell of that level. Evil paladins gain "Detect Good, Smite Good, Rebuke Undead, Aura of Evil" instead of the good equivilencies and can instead drop any spell for a Harm spell of the same level.

Monk gets a full BAB. Also, at level 6 he can use half of his flurry of blows as a standard action. Also Also, he can use dexterity for To hit and Damage rolls instead of strength without a feat.

Consolidated Skills – Combined for efficiency. Having one skill as a class skill gets you all related skills if you do not have them.
Athletics – Climb, Jump, Swim
Stealth – Hide, Move Silently
Perception – Spot, Listen
Disable Device – Disable Device, Open Lock
Acrobatics – Balance, Tumble

Racial Skills are considered class skills.

Weapon Specific Feats like Weapon Focus can be retrained with one hour of practice with a different weapon.

Those are for my current game. Nobody chose paladin or monk, so I don't know how much they helped.
>>
File: 1454608950564.png (225 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
1454608950564.png
225 KB, 500x380
All systems: if your die fall off the rolling surface when you roll, it's an automatic critical failure.
If the DM spaces out or something and forgets to resolve whatever they were having you do (ie. Roll to hit, you roll, DM gets up and walks away for whatever reason while you're trying to roll) it's an automatic success (obviously if the DM says he's getting up or needs to stop for a moment you can't try to sneak actions in while he's not paying attention, that's bullshit)
pic unrelated, xcom on the brain
>>
So far, mine are for 3.PF

>When you level, if you roll less than half on your HP die, round to half.

>If you buy food or drink for everyone, you get one temp Hero Point for that session. It expires at the end of the night.

>Spellbooks found as loot are made entirely of scrolls for some reason. Spellbooks made by players are not.

>Certain spells have been nerfed for good reason. Example: Blood Money's ability damage can only be healed naturally.

>If you have read the adventure path, I will change things just to fuck you. Especially if you are cheating.

>At the end of each session, I will have a copy of your character sheet. (We all use Hero Lab, I just want to make sure I have a copy of everyone's character in Dropbox.)
>>
File: rifts_jesus_christ.jpg (102 KB, 454x515) Image search: [Google]
rifts_jesus_christ.jpg
102 KB, 454x515
>>47193374
Oh, also, if you and an opponent roll identically to hit/parry/dodge, you roll again, with the winner of the tie breaker critically succeeding. (Natural roll, not modified, so an 18+3 and an 18+15 still results in a tie breaker roll) if both parties rolled a critical success/failure the critical from the tie is multiplicative (x3 damage from a crit becomes x6, x4 becomes x8, multiple consecutive ties are additive after the first)
>>
>>47178775
(Any system)

We don't use social mechanics. At all.

All of my group tend to like roleplaying in roleplaying games, and nothing kills that more than getting into it, coming up with an approach, and then having a dice tell you your character is incompetent today and can't talk to people.

Naturally, nixing any kind of social mechanic can only be done with good roleplayers, whose characters won't suddenly become much more fluent when needed. It also generally necessitates some rebalancing, to compensate for social skills being either absent or just useless.

I'm not saying this is the best way for everybody, but it's the best way for my group.
>>
Sleeping with a succubus is fatal. No exceptions whatsoever.
>>
>>47179861

Forever Dm here, doesn't everyone do this? I mean its kinda really basic and intuitive, and it gets players engaged in the game and rewards good roleplaying.
>>
>>47183101

I had a similar thing happen in my Ragnarok fate of the norns game, though not quite that bad. A juggernaut berserker has an active ability that lets them jump physical rune pool x rage hexes, basically our berserker could jump like 10 hexes, which is supposed to be like 50 ft.
>>
>>47184369

I dont forbid them, I just punish them for it, they catch on.
>>
>>47183024
Im borrowing this one. Have a 3D printer, can just print something with the shape and form if the player actually takes the dare
>>
What do you guys think about hiding readied actions? For example, players could write it down on a piece of paper without telling DM what they are planning, and then when conditions happen they can reveal it.
Similarly for cases where only one player character notices something, or if only they can understand speech or text. It'd be up to them whether or not to reveal that to rest of party.

I haven't put this practice yet, but I think it could make for interesting plays?
>>
>>47190433

That 3 20s thing sounds kinda questionable, has it ever come into play, and what were the circumstances?
>>
>>47191144

This is good.
>>
File: Blast off.png (652 KB, 1440x1440) Image search: [Google]
Blast off.png
652 KB, 1440x1440
>>47179003
This makes me flustered in all the right ways.
>>
>>47183112
Found the autist
>>
>>47178775
If the players argue over what to do in a situation for too long then it means that the characters were also arguing. ...This means that in-game time was wasted and someone may have heard the argument.

The GM won't use the rule all the time so sometimes when a player has trouble in combat the others can offer assistance on what to do and so on but if the discussion seems drags on and on this rule will work as a punishment and deterrent.

>>47179619 too. Actually any dice that doesn't land well does not count. Usually we use boxes to roll the dice in so this is not a problem.
>>
>>47183272
that sounds needlessly complicated
>>
>5E
Stats are 27 point buy if you build the character by yourself. If you have a witness then it is 4D6, drop lowest.
All dice explode and implode.
There are no automatic failures or successes.
If you wander off on your own you are never heard from again
If you complain about no adventures, but have been actively avoiding plot hooks, I will kick you.
>>
>>47178775
well coming from 3.5 and other older D&D systems to 5e we transferred some of the rules relating to combat, because we like their mechanics.

>Flanking
one of my favourite mechanics and something that really promotes teamwork, especially with the Battlemaster maneuvers Fighters get.
>5ft step
>Attacks of op in threatened squares
one of the weirdest things about 5e that we didn't even know about until recently was that you don't incur an attack of op if you move more than 5ft around an enemy anymore, only if you leave a threatened square without disengaging. We just always preferred using 5ft steps and regular threatened square movement so we carried it over and it works perfectly.
>Crit Fumbles/Success cards
legit one of the best things in our group is that moment when one of us has to pull from our DM's Success or Fumble decks.

Aside from that, always announcing which attack you're rolling for is a must. We have one friend who'll use an Orcish Double-Axe in 3.5 games and just roll a blue and purple D20 and we have to tell him to specify which one is which each game and then keep track because he's bitched his way out of crit fumbles before.
>>
>>47198532
>If you wander off on your own you are never heard from again
10/10 rule I like. It's genuinely almost a shame that I have a good group because I would love to kick a shitheel with this when he does something cunty like walk off out of town away from story.
>>
>>47195908

I'm going to start incorporating passing notes to players next session. I hope it goes well.
>>
>>47179861
I prefer "roll your diplomacy/bluff check, then roleplay the result." Of course, you still have to tell me what you're rolling to do, but decide how you say it after you roll.
>>
No keeping track of XP, DM lets us know when we level up.
>>
>>47194229
>sleeping
For what purpose?
>>
>>47179094
>>47179525
It's one of the gym leaders from Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire.
>>
>Playing Fate Core
>3/4 of our rules are house rules
>>
>>47185317
Distracted is a good way to put it. The player doesn't follow the no phone rule, and even worse, sometimes takes it out to play the final fantasy victory music, even though I hint how inappropriate that is. "Oh wow, we won. I know what music we should play"
"Please don't."
> browse phone for a few minutes while everyone continues
"Please, we're continuing without you."
> get interrupted a minute later when the player finally finds the song and turns up the volume really loud.

I don't know what to do because respectfully saying "don't do it" wasn't enough. So I think I need to go punitive, but I don't want to come across as jerky "no fun allowed" guy.
>>
>>47181751
Shouldn't sawn-off shotguns be less effective? I thought the compromise between sawing off the barrel was that you had a smaller but less accurate weapon. Am I wrong?
t. noguns
>>
>>47189191
>>Rapiers can be duel-wielded with daggers (a la historical fencing), despite not being 'Light'. Normal two-weapon fighting rules apply.
I like this rule, but I'd be a little worried about it being broken to shit with Finesse somehow
>>
>>47198546
How do your rules for moving in threatened squares work? Sounds interesting but I'm not familiar with it. Where does one go to get one's hands on Success/Fumble decks?
>>
File: tumblr_m7bszuZOXu1rnixfao1_1280.gif (188 KB, 600x456) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m7bszuZOXu1rnixfao1_1280.gif
188 KB, 600x456
>>47185834
I do not know what you are playing but it is not D&D.
>>
File: 1379814349025.jpg (38 KB, 414x720) Image search: [Google]
1379814349025.jpg
38 KB, 414x720
>>47187892
>We play D&D 3.5
No, you are not.
>>
>>47198518

once had my players devolve into an arguement over whether or not to kill the guy who basically surrendered. Figured there is no way the guy is going to quietly wait while they discuss killing him, so i had him shank the nearest one mid argument.
>>
>>47180548
>roll to confirm
god, i wish my current group did this.
I'm honestly considering leaving because of the sheer amount of shitty houserules they have

>all d20 rolled skills/attacks can crit or critfail
>if it's a critfail you weapon can break(even legendary magical ones pulled off demon lords), you hit a random ally, or you can just straight up stab yourself
>you can knock yourself unconsious on a 1 for an acrobatics check
>you start clapping like a retard on a 1 for a stealth check.

all this depends on how the DM feels, there's no confirming roll.

There's tons and tons more, but this is probably my least favorite.
right up in there with "we don't use initiative because it's 'too hard'"
They're nice people, they just are really really dumb when it comes to rules.
>>
>>47185317
>if you ask me where to find a number that is right in front of you on a piece of paper you have been looking at for over a year, you automatically get the worst possible result on the roll after I tell you where to find
mm, I might implement that with my old group, if I ever manage to move back.
That actually sounds really nice.
>>
File: Dwarf warrior with many weapons.png (860 KB, 1576x1500) Image search: [Google]
Dwarf warrior with many weapons.png
860 KB, 1576x1500
Our system is D&D 3.5
There are three ability scores (rather than six): Strength, Agility, and Intelligence. Strength includes Constitution, Intelligence includes Wisdom and Charisma, and neither affect skill points or hit points.
There are two base classes: Fighter and Mage. Fighter is a cross between a Warblade and a Swordsage, Mage is a modified Wizard, but you choose a smaller specialized list of spells you can learn.
There are no cross-class skills: all skills have the same max ranks and same cost.
We consolidated the skill list to 22 skills. There are no sub-fields (i.e. a performer can know as many instruments as he wants), and there is no Knowledge skill.
If a spell is boring, it is removed from the game. If a feat is boring, it is removed from the game and from prerequisites of other feats.
Base Attack Bonus caps out at level 16. There aren't any +X magic items. Monster statistics are adjusted accordingly.
Feats come every odd-numbered level (like in PF).
When your combined damage (lethal and nonlethal) reaches half your maximum HP, you are Fatigued. If it reaches three-quarters, you are Exhausted.
There is no divine/arcane divide, magic is just magic. Ability scores do not give bonus spell slots. You prepare spells, but you do not expend them when cast: it only decides which spells you can cast that day. To cast a spell, you take its spell point cost in nonlethal damage that cannot be healed with magic (so your HP total is your SP/PP total).
>>
>>47178775
You either bring some dry and non-greasy snack or you pay two bucks to split the bill.
>>
>>47205107
Y' know, if you tinkered a bit, changed some names, gave it a new lick of paint, etc. you could probably make your own system, heck you might even be able to sell it (for like a buck or two but still). Your... system? psudo-system? homebrew? whatever, seems rather cool.

As for the folk I play with:
Getting KO'd gives you temporary stat debuffs after the encounter, a good rest, or good meal will remove them.
Wearing the wrong kind of clothing in the wrong environment (warm clothes in a hot place, a bikini in the arctic, fully dressed in the water) may cause you to take damage or other penalties.
Conversely thinking ahead and getting the right kit can give minor buffs like improved accuracy and evasion.
When in town you can (abstractly) attempt to do odd jobs (this was in a game that was a lot more... gamey), choose a stat, skill or profession and if you want an easy or a hard job, roll d20 and add any mods to it, if you roll below 10/20 respectively for easy/hard, you take damage equal to how far off you where from the target number and get a temporary -1 to that specific thing until you get sufficient rest/sustenance/whatever; getting over the target gets you money depending on how far over you where, with hard jobs giving a higher multiplier (an easy job might give one gold per point over, while a hard might give you 10 per point over)
>>
>>47178775
Any inappropriate Monty Python quotes require you to drop your pants and put your dick on the table so that everyone else gets a single whack at it with a paint stirrer.
>>
>>47209137
What about appropriate Monty Python quotes?
>>
>>47209271
They haven't come up
>>
>>47195914
In the five years I've run games with that rule it's happened perhaps a dozen times. The players have only lost from it once because after someone rolls a pair of 1s they play it safe for the rest of the encounter which is usually only a round or two if that
>>
>>47178847
>girl
>GM
>>
>>47178775
Monopoly: landing on Free Parking gets you all the money lost by players from the tax squares and chance/community chest cards
>>
>>47181580
>If you roll a 20 on a death save, you're up with 1hp

That's RAW though?
>>
>>47200966
>The player doesn't follow the no phone rule, and even worse, sometimes takes it out to play the final fantasy victory music, even though I hint how inappropriate that is. "Oh wow, we won. I know what music we should play"
glad i'm not the only one this happens to
>>
>>47209137
What if that's their fetish?
>>
>>47209736
no, in 5e rolling a 20 counts as 2 successes toward stabilizing
>>
3.PF: Tier 3/4 characters only. It's the only sane way to play that system.

4e: Use the inherent bonus rules. Instead of Expertise feats, just give everyone a free +1 to attacks and defenses at level 10, increasing to +2 at level 20.

13th Age: Ritual casting doesn't exist. Instead, out-of-combat magic is handled entirely by backgrounds.
Among other things, this means that Gandalf is best represented with the Paladin class and the 'Old Grey Wizard +4' background.
>>
>>47213107
>13th Age
>Actually playing a Paladin
Why.
Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.