[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
romance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 8
File: Danny.jpg (30 KB, 440x661) Image search: [Google]
Danny.jpg
30 KB, 440x661
how does /tg/ feel about romance in their campaign?
how do you deal with PC's trying to romance female NPCs when the DM is male?
has anything bad/good come from romance in your campaign?
>>
Greasy fatbeards roleplaying romance amongst themselves are the Saddest Thing.
>>
>>47178337
I think between comfortable players in a group which is okay with exploring it, romance is a great way to deepen character bonds or generate characterization and story.

That said, not everyone is going to want to do so, and you should respect that.
>>
I mostly RP online with groups of mature players who understand what we're doing is communal storytelling, and that romance is a classic part of stories. As such, when romance is appropriate we don't shy away from it, whether between PC's or with NPC's. It's even provided the basis for a few interesting plot hooks or twists before.
>>
>>47178337
It shouldn't matter if the DM is male. You're not ERPing after all and it's just a small subplot.
>>
I'm okay with it as long as they don't get weird or creepy with it. I've had two players in two separate games try to do it.
>First time: Drama student playing a Swashbuckler-type who romances a Dhampir.
He was a Drama student who knew how to act and he didn't get creepy with it, so it was all good.
>Second time: Adeptus Arbites who's repeatedly trying to molest a sister of battle.
This was utterly creepy and disturbing. He didn't seem to understand why I was getting upset with him. He had seemingly forgotten that whining about "muh player agency" doesn't give you the right to turn MY game into your fanfiction-tier sex-subplot.
>>
>>47178337

I don't care for it. It's awkward and boring for everyone not involved.
>>
These threads seem to start out innocently enough, but they rapidly turn into some of the most obnoxiously cringe-inducing wrecks of threads that have ever dragged their slimy bottoms across the floor of this board.
There's something about the word "romance" that attracts the worst kind of humans that dwell here, who seem keen on redefining the word in order to include their bizarre and unhealthy interpretations, but ultimately just delivering bad advice to anyone stupid enough to pay attention to them.

I'm hoping this thread doesn't go that way, but here's my inb4.

As far as the topic on hand, I typically keep romance in my games as sidenotes and asides, with players taking care of most of the romance offscreen, since it tends to be a bit of a one-on-one affair and it's hard to keep the rest of the group engaged in something that doesn't involve them and that they have no interest or stake in.
>>
>>47178337
I treat it like when a player wants to spend a night with a busty tavern wench. Fade to black, give me the gist of it later, the rest of the group doesn't wana sit there and listen to how great your imaginary wiafu is.
>>
im DMing a game and 2 of the players are currently romancing 2 different NPCs and its going surprisingly well actually, the other plays seem interested in where the relationship goes and its establishing betting NPC connections, turning them into actually people instead of assets to be used which as a DM i greatly appreciate
>>
Honestly, as a forever DM I normally don't care if they do or don't romance, but I always tell my groups at the start that it is an option. The only time i say no, is when the group I run on monday night asks about it. That's when it gets REALLY fucking uncomfortable!
>>
>>47178643
God I love it when this happens! I'll trade my Wednesday group with you ANY DAY!
>>
>>47178337
I once DM'd a game of microlite d20 over space station 13, but one of the players was a big erp creeper, and tried to have sex with everyone. It was unappreciated.
>>
I hadn't intended to go the romance route in an AdEva game of all places, but my GM's NPC is just perfect. While I'm glad he's on board with it for now, I know it'll be used against me later. But that's the way the cookie crumbles.
>>
>>47178682
whats wrong with your Wednesday group?
>>
>>47178654
exactly...i let my players know right off that bat that romance is an option if they so choose to go down that path, but i tell them right away "if you are not mature about it, there will be consequences"
>>
i have had a player try and sex up one of my NPCs and it was pretty bad. the NPC continued to try and tell him off, but he did not take the hint and ended up nearly raping the NPC before the party paladin had enough of his shit and convinced the rest of the group to kill him off. (he had done alot of other shit in the past, but this was the last straw for them)
>>
>>47178725
Murderhobos... And I guess power hungry sodomists if the fighter rapeing the other fighter while he was drunk is anything to go by (thankfully I've switched groups on Wednesday but still that one guy 'treats npc s like shit and is easily a that fucking guy)
>>
>>47178737
Oh it's not that they aren't mature, it's that it letting my Monday group try romancing anything would put my actual job at stake
>>
>>47178337

My last serious in game romance was in a game that eventually, a couple years later, led to me formally dating my wife.
>>
>>47178840
why dont you kill him off? a very in character way for him to die would be... "he pisses off a bar maiden or tries to fuck an npc, npc turns out to have a pretty buff boyfriend/husband already and they fuck him up. or sick the guards on him after he pisses enough people off.
>>
>>47178337
I want it, but I know it's tough to roleplay and I know most other people don't want it.
>>
>>47178882
I've tried... Believe me, I've tried. But the rest of the group sticks their collective necks out to save him. I've even tried talking to him about it, but since it's a weekly event at my FLGS, I can't kick him out
>>
>>47178902

Yeah, very much like actually real life dating, romance only works when everyone is on board, and it's sure as shit not for every group.
>>
I've taken more than a few acting and screen writing classes, and use tabletop games as extensions of character design. So, it's not really that weird, you know? Characters, people, fall in love. Not everyone is going to be a chaste hero.
>>
>>47178337
You got a bunch of different options depending on who the player is, that goes from just no, to fade to black, to developing the NPC into a recurring thing.
I'm more of a fan when it happens between players. As long as it doesn't start to dominate the table, I find it gives a good interaction and fleshes out characters if role played well. I've allowed star-crossed romances to become subplots if they were interesting enough.
>>
>>47178862
Okay, I'm curious now. Details.
>>
>>47179101
same
>>
>>47179101
Well I work part time at a local community center (YMCA) and a few years ago (just after highschool) a friend of the family who knew I was an avid tabletop player asked me if I would be willing to get involved with a new start up program geared towards teaching kids (8-14) how to play various tabletop games ranging from MTG to Dungeons and Dragons, to warhammer 40k and more. For me this combined two great joys of mine, working with kids, and tabletop gaming. Of course being the guy I am I said yes, and have been doing it for almost 3 years now.
>>
>>47179283
That makes sense, yeah.
>>
The rogue and cleric had a threesome with a smuggler to get the cleric some int jewelry. Smuggler came back later as a recurring npc and he shamelessly flirted with every female within reach, which was kind of fun. Lots of sex jokes at the expense of those players.

The druid and knight PC have the chemistry for a forbidden romance if they wanted to role play it, but the players themselves are engaged to each other and they don't want to seem like they're shoving romance in everyone's face. The result actually makes for nice romantic tension as they try to avoid a relationship that should happen.
>>
Don't we get this thread just about every other day?
>>
>>47179344

That thread was about marriage, I remember it had someone describing getting date raped by his GM, and some guy who described how he ended up dating his neighbors daughter.
>>
>>47179299
Honestly, it's not even my full job, I do it right after I finish work and run it from 4-8
>>
Once GM'd a game for a couple my best mates which was actually pretty much a love story. They'd just started going out at the time (still together now) and the whole thing was about 200% adorable.

Ended with the characters deciding to go ahead with their relationship and seek the approval of the guy's family to get married as he was a powerful duke's second son and she a commoner who'd earned a knighthood in spite of her birth and gender. System was Pendragon jury rigged for a low fantasy setting.
>>
>>47178337

In the group I play in, romance is fairly common and most players end up romancing the NPC's because it's fun for the group and it's not destructive to the plot.

Some characters do it because they're bored and others use it to gain some sort of status or advantage with NPC's.

Then there's other groups I would not recommend doing it ever because some players can't separate the game from themselves and let game drama become irl drama or even worse, bring irl drama into the game.

Depends on the group
>>
>>47179344

Because gamers are generally the most thirsty fuckers of all time.

I've always worked romance into campaigns whenever I can. To do so, you need to imagine that the person you're interacting with is not a fat neckbeard, but a muscular male Adonis with a sensitive artist's soul beneath his rippling six-pack. Or he just looks like a young Greek god. Even the shy and socially-awkward guy is handsome as fuck, not a pimply-faced NEET with no reason for existing.

Then you must place yourself in the shoes of the woman. Imagine that you're not a total bitch: Go for how men WANT women to behave, not how they actually behave. You must believe that women value things like chastity, virtue and pfhahahahaha I can't go on.

Why do all this? Why go to all this trouble, besides a deviant and effeminate sexual thrill?

Because now they're in love with an imaginary girl, you can fuck them up on an emotional level. Forget a peasant village and imaginary family burning, nothing will hurt a player (Not the PC, a PLAYER) more than watching his dream girl kiss another man and start to like it.

No, it's not good for the soul. But it's fun.
>>
>>47180321

I hope you burn in hell
>>
>>47180354

Drama keeps people invested. Emotional torment is my magical realm.
>>
>>47180321
That was a post that actually started to resemble being actual advice up till you went full NTR.
>>
>>47180491
I know, right?

>thirsty fuckers
Absolutely true. I'm a thirsty fucker myself, but I think...well, I hope at least half can hold it in well.

>Imagine the person you're interacting with is not a fat neckbeard
That's great advice, and will inordinately help with roleplaying in general if you can do mental picture stuff like that.

>Place yourself in the shoes of a woman.
Okay, you could've just gone for the character you're roleplaying, but if it helps you to specifically look at them as feminine, that's understandable.

And then it all just goes wrong like a train that decided 90 degree angles were the best way to turn.
>>
>>47178337
>how does /tg/ feel about romance in their campaign?
Pretty useless IMO. Most of the time it feels like what Hollywood tends to do with major movies: have a plot that would be perfectly fine on its own, but shoehorn in an unconvincing romance because that's what sells tickets.

>how do you deal with PC's trying to romance female NPCs when the DM is male?
Why "deal" with it? The DM has to play a variety of people of different genders, races, ages and personalities. The PC's fapbait is just one of many characters he has to play.

I actually remember my PC trying to hook up my cleric with a grill, when my cleric proceeded to go full "bitches ain't shit"
>>
>Have a great campaign that is designed around players connections and relationships with some NPCs, which include classically attractive female archetypes that pretty much everyone is always drawn to unintentionally.
>I've tried to run it a few times, always fails due to groups breaking up, but that's irrelevant.
>Every player WANTS the romance plot, but they're always SO FUCKING BAD AT ROLEPLAYING that I lose any interest in it.

Seriously. I have one player who when he's not directly in front of this NPC is like "Yeah dawg Imma get her tittays, I'mma hit that shit wooo" (yeah, that's in-character), and then when she's there he's trying to be all suave and aloof and just sort of expecting romance to happen to him.

TL;DR - As a DM, yes I'd love to explore those kinds of character arcs because I've never actually gotten to play through any of them and, thus, see how the end/where they go. In reality? It'll never happen because players are shit.
>>
We focus on things we can't do or have in reality, so I almost never get this kind of arc. It would be boring and awkward (i could be wrong of course)
I did see couples form thanks to my sessions, twice. It was nice
>>
>>47180321
What always irks me about this posting style is the assumption that the one making the post somehow isn't a neckbeard, NEET, etc. themselves. If they weren't, why would they associate with those people? Aren't they supposed to be your friends? That's a pretty low opinion of your friends if that's the case. And don't give me that niche hobby excuse. RPGs are popular enough that you can avoid certain demographics of gamers easily. It's not like fucking MTG.

I guess it would make sense if you primarily game at your LGS but then there's regulars and regulars would learn not to bite your NTR or huge drama bait after the first time.
>>
Everyone I've ever gamed with has at the bare minimum been completely presentable in appearance. Appropriately shaven and clean dressed.

Is manbeasts and landwhales really that common in the hobby? Am I just lucky that no one I bump into has nacho smell?
>>
>>47180654

There is an endless number of victims online.
>>
>>47180605

Exactly. A lot of players are TERRIBLE at it. The subplot won't work because they're so awful, no woman would ever go for that. No, I don't care what your stats say, I've never been drier.
>>
>>47180705
>The subplot won't work because they're so awful, no woman would ever go for that.
Except women not only routinely go for awful men, they actively prefer awful people over those who aren't awful. Compare the insane number of love letters death row inmates get compared to non-existent love letters math teachers get. And do you think 50 shades of grey would be even half as popular among women as it is now if Christian Grey was a softspoken blue collar worker who desperately wants to please his girlfriend?
>>
>>47180678
>>online

Oh. Suddenly it all makes sense. You could even get away with GMing with one hand playing online too. You weren't kidding when you said it was your magical realm, were you?

Online games. Not even once.
>>
One of my more recent characters sort of ended up wooing an NPC unintentionally. He was a young artificer who traveled to a small town that was fabled to have been built over some ancient dwarven ruins. The game included a lot of standard fantasy archetypes and the group I was playing with was rather inexperienced, so things were pretty light-hearted. There was a lot of fooling around.

Anyhow, so the tavern included a pretty and fairly dim barmaid who misheard when my character tried to explain that he was studying artifice. She heard "artist" and the rest of the party thought it would be a riot to convince her that he was in fact an artist who wished to paint her. The illusionist proceeded to create fake paintings for her, saying that they were gifts from my character, and then make them disappear, saying that he took them back because he was not satisfied and wanted to paint something better that really captured her beauty.

This went on for a session or two and my character played along because she was pretty enough, he actually enjoyed talking to her (though their meetings were largely engineered by the rest of the party for a good laugh), and because he had a plan. I made a secret purchase (and quite an expensive one for the setting) with the GM and then told the barmaid that I had finally crafted the perfect work of art that would capture her beauty for the rest of time. The party was a bit bamboozled because my character had no artistic ability at all. So I lead the girl back to the room she lived in where my gift awaited under a sheet. She pulled the sheet away to reveal my gift and a true romance began.

My character had bought her a full length mirror.
>>
>>47180734
Look, there's a difference between a distant masculine figure, and someone who's right in front of a woman going 'LADIES, FEEL FREE TO SUCK MY PENIS AT ANY TIME THE PLOT DECIDES TO MOVE FORWARD, LIKE MY HIPS.'

They may not be that bad, but sometimes opening your mouth really does ruin the fantasy that would be a lot better if you kept quiet. It's like how all the 16th century poets were writing sonnets about distant women and muses, or how modern guys will fall for movie stars or random cute pictures on the internet.
>>
>>47180734

But Grey looked like Hitler's model for the Aryan race, and was a billionaire. He was also extremely charismatic. Most PCs can't manage any of that.
>>
>>47180764
That is really cute, actually.
>>
>>47180705
Well, I'm a dude so obviously I'm not a girl looking for dialogue that would turn me on and win my heart before a player could manage to get some affection from a female NPC.

But in order for me to actually play through a story arc like that, I'd need to be entertained by it, and I sure as fuck am not gonna be entertained when the person playing the PC is like "Lol guys im totally gonna score with this chick lol yeah high five my dude is a stud". Basically; I don't want to roleplay with someone to whom the concept of roleplaying is a joke. I just won't bother, and we'll move on to something else.
>>
>>47180795
PCs fulfill that easily if it's something like D&D. I know this is rollplay territory but is has to be said. Many PCs have charisma beyond 10, especially classes that rely on it. Then there's the fact that they regularly have enough gold to feed a family of commoners for years. If you have actual class levels you are an exceptional person. You got to have a sense of scale here. Now that being said if they can't roleplay what they are effectively then, yeah, they aren't getting anywhere.
>>
I personally don't allow it unless it's between 2 PCs, simply because I don't think I can properly roleplay that shit as an NPC
>>
>>47180852

That's the issue. The PLAYER has no charisma. I don't care about your imaginary money. If the connection ain't there, forget the subplot.

Unless you're that guy who deliberately makes people miserable. I think I played with him before and he was a fucker about it.
>>
>>47180787
>Look, there's a difference between a distant masculine figure, and someone who's right in front of a woman going 'LADIES, FEEL FREE TO SUCK MY PENIS AT ANY TIME THE PLOT DECIDES TO MOVE FORWARD, LIKE MY HIPS.'
Except that's pretty much what Christian Grey did, albeit more subtle. Motherfucker is like a cult leader in that regard.

>>47180795
Yeah, so? By D&D standards even a PC with bad rolls has literally superhuman stats and a wealth far above that of even the bourgeois from starting level.

>>47180872
>That's the issue. The PLAYER has no charisma.
The player also can't lift buildings. That's why stats exist to depict the PC's ability to do these things. Are you autistic?
>>
>>47180819
I think it was a fun thing that really humanized the character. From then on he would bring her back little gifts from each new quest, and more often then not when the party was turning in for the night my character would go stay with the barmaid. It never got weird. Neither the GM or myself tried to play out and weird fetishes. It was just another part of the story.

I actually had to leave the game a while back but my character lives on. The GM took him over as an NPC. He opened up a potion and wondrous item shop, which doubles as his and the barmaid's home. He spends his days studying the dwarf ruins, selling odds and ends to adventurers, and handing out quests. He lets the party do all of the dangerous work for him now, fetching rare reagents or accessing heavily guarded sections of the ruins, because he doesn't want to put himself in undo danger when he could be at home with his loving partner.
>>
>>47180872

How so?
>>
>>47180872
>The player also can't lift buildings.

And if a 25 Charisma Bard says "Ey bby u wanna suckin' dese nuts?", he's not going to get laid.

You either put effort into roleplaying, or don't have roleplaying in the game.
>>
>>47180882
I mean. This is enough for any barmaid and commoner girl but if you want more than that (like the elf ranger girl) you're gonna have to put more effort to charm her pants off. You get about as much as you put into it. You get points for effort too just don't be randumb and utterly tactless.
>>
>>47180894

After the party lost a fight and got TPK'd, my love interest had to pick between letting me bleed out or becoming the villain's Charmed fucktoy. She picked the latter option to save my PC and later bore him a son.
>>
>>47180919
>This is enough for any barmaid and commoner girl but if you want more than that (like the elf ranger girl) you're gonna have to put more effort to charm her pants off.
Sure thing, let's lie to ourselves that only the most horrible of women are into shit like 50 shades and that there aren't any supposedly high value women among them.

The only point you might have there is that it's an elf, and elves are so idealized their women might actually be rational.
>You get about as much as you put into it.
Again, only if it's an elf
>>
>>47180954

Shouldn't have lost, then.
>>
>>47180980

Sorry, but they're not going to lower their standards for you. Work for it.
>>
>>47178337
We had some good things come out of romance in our games... not everything is good but there where some good things. I depends on the players I guess. We do have the token neckbeard that is weird and creepy and shit but our GM usually doesn't let it go too far.
Usually, the GM just tells the player what the romanced NPC says and does and doesn't go overboard with roleplaying female characters (I guess because he is more confortable with this that way) and that seems to work usually.
>>
>>47180914
> And if a 25 Charisma Bard says "Ey bby u wanna suckin' dese nuts?", he's not going to get laid.

I wish more people would realize this. I'm stuck in a group with a bard who speaks like an old time-y prospector on helium and spouts complete gibberish, but thinks that a good diplomacy roll should get him whatever he wants no matter how stupid or incomprehensible his arguments are.

No, it doesn't matter how many times you say "there's gold in them hills" or how well you roll. We are at sea, trying to convince a captain who has been hunting us for months to leave us alone. If you want to help, try actually making an argument based on what we know about the captain. You know, think about what he wants and what we want and how to propose something that sounds like it's compatible with both of those. Diplomacy. Not just talking about how there's a snake in your boot like you're Woody if he inhaled a dozen helium balloons.
>>
File: 1400180226173.png (145 KB, 702x397) Image search: [Google]
1400180226173.png
145 KB, 702x397
>>47181006
>Work for it.
Work for what, the privillege of being used like an ATM, bodyguard, manservant and on demand clown/punching bag? What next, you're going to ask me to pay my employer for the privilege of working overtime?

I'm perfectly fine with the consequences of not working for what's not worth working for.
>>
>>47181021
>I wish more people would realize this.

/tg/ doesn't accept your concept of roleplaying, because 90% of them are the "I play for fun" kind of no-effort players who make joke characters and don't actually try and roleplay because they either have a mental disorder or they have been indoctrinated into the "I don't have to life a fridge to play a 20 STR character, I shouldn't have to talk convincingly to play a 20 CHA character".

They play to roll dice.
>>
>>47181039

Then don't. It's a privilege, not a right. There are dozens queueing up to take your place.
>>
>>47180980
What are you even saying? My post had nothing to do with some claim that only low profile women like 50 shades or some shit. Stop trying to have that conversation.

All I said was that the only girls you should be able to seduce entirely through rollplaying or really fucking corny shit are some no name NPCs for a fade to black. Otherwise your GM is not obligated to have romance if you can't roleplay for shit even if your character's crunch is perfect for it. You want to do bad boy charm you've got to pull that off convincingly. Hell use PUA tactics. Just don't be randumb.
>>
File: 144417769255[1].jpg (18 KB, 510x430) Image search: [Google]
144417769255[1].jpg
18 KB, 510x430
>>47181054
>To roleplay someone with near superhuman charisma you need to have near superhuman charisma
>But asking someone who plays a 20 STR orc barbarian if he lifts is something different entirely
>>
>>47180954

Wow jeez, your GM's got one of those enchanted lands, those eldritch soils, those sorcerous acres, you know what I'm saying, my fellow, aren't you?
>>
>>47181091
>>To roleplay someone with near superhuman charisma you need to have near superhuman charisma

No, it means you have to actually put a little effort into PRETENDING that you have near-superhuman charisma.

You have to actually TRY to roleplay. If you do not put any effort in, why exactly would you expect the DM to waste his time on you?
>>
>>47181091
No one is saying that you need anywhere near the charisma of your character. Just any at all will suffice. Just enough to know that walking up to someone and saying "git wit me" is not enough to actually get a person to fuck you.
>>
>>47180954

Too real, man. Too real.
>>
>>47179283
1) You are awesome
2) Thread Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS9OO0S5w2k
>>
>>47181091
Nah, you get an A for effort but you need to try. Look. If you're charming some random girls for a funny fade to black scene then you can use your stats as a crutch all you want. If you want to open up AN ENTIRE SUBPLOT where there's more going on than a one time win-lose challenge then, yes, you have to be less shit at roleplaying. You're telling a part of the story with the GM. What the fuck else would romance be? It's not another one time fade to black scene.
>>
>>47179283
That's awesome man. We need more folks like you.
>>
>>47181095

I didn't like it when it happened in Bahamut Lagoon AND I DON'T LIKE IT NOW.
>>
>>47181095
A bewitched kingdom, perhaps? A cursed domain? An arcane patch? Some sort of mystical turf?
>>
File: 1462335141706.png (88 KB, 188x229) Image search: [Google]
1462335141706.png
88 KB, 188x229
>>47181175

Guess it's time to build your character like you're supposed to and slap that NTR condoning fella's metaphoric cheek. Never had this kind of GM, but if I did, I'd probably prepare a thousand different Contingencies every session.
>>
>>47181236

To be fair, the whole party had been wiped in the fight. The GM asked "Okay, should we call it a night or so you want a Hand of God?"

I didn't want it but I was outvoted.
>>
>>47181281

Hmm, I see. I guess I reacted badly. Maybe it's just that passing too much time in this board and around neckbeards slowly chipped my patience regarding that kinda stuff in tabletop.
>>
>>47181322

I'm still pissed, especially since we all died in the rematch anyway. My party is full of fucking morons.
>>
>>47178337
I like it. So far in my current campaign one PC is romancing an NPC shopkeeper while two other PCs are basically romancing each other without really realizing it while another party member ships them hard. Much fun has resulted.
>>
>>47178337
>be me male PC
>fall in love with anons PC
>it all goes well, we play along
>actually fall in love with PC
>campaign ends
>I still want her around
>ask anon to pick same PC again next campaign
>he refuse "thats repetitive anon"
>I will never be with my PC waifu again.

PS Offscreen ERP happens sometimes.. We never had a child tho..
>>
I had a character get into an unintentional romance once. It was a world of darkness homebrew (the writing is pretentious but I like the system) my character was an undercover agent for an agency he didn't understand but was disguised as a prize fighter. I played him as a serious and straight to the point man.

Eventually something supernatural happened to the building that the party lived in, and whatever it was made floors 1-3 dissappear and put you back on floor 4 no matter how many stair you go down. The only way to climb was up. So it was my character (whom I forgot to name earlier as Royce Wallace), a Phoenix right based lawyer named Vincent Bosh, and a retired con-man whom I believe was named Edward. We were at the weekly poker game hosted by our landlady, janice, when all the spirit fuckery happened.

Long story short Janice and I wound up alone in an elevator because the party split like dumbasses. She had a episode from all the people that had gone insane or died. In response Royce who was mostly soft spoken before game one of the most inspiring speeches I've ever pulled out of my ass. She was calmed but still useless in combat, we found one of the tenets on the 6th floor bleeding out from the actions of the other two party members who left us behind. I took the leader position and sent Janice along with all the non corrupted tenets on the floor back down the stairs to the 4th floor and directed them to barricade up and I'll give them a signal if it's really me the next time they see us. One kickass encounter later involving a century old spirit and a lightning rod, the building is back to normal and a response for the "gas leak" has arrived. While the other two were crying over the gaining of forbidden knowledge/admission of stone cold murder, my character was surprised over how much he cared about Janice's safety. When the smoke cleared he awkwardly asked her to dinner and she surprisingly said yes. It was the most organic romance scene I ever played.
>>
File: mSsmcw0.jpg.png (782 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
mSsmcw0.jpg.png
782 KB, 1366x768
>>47181394

Fuck, so no good ending, huh? Well, that sucks. I hardly get emotionally engaged in campaigns, counting that my experience is nine years of playing with murderhobos. Smart, capable of roleplaying and making a decent character, all that stuff. Still murderhobos who maybe enjoy discussion with NPCs and get attached to some funny comic relief or cool character, but, you know, not that kinda guys you'll expect to run a romance plot.
Yet, even though that, I feel that in a situation in which another person was engaged in something, I'd start doing everything to help such person. Maybe one day it will happen. Maybe one day.
>>
It can be a great way to add depth to a character and texture to the story. Just make sure that you don't wind up RP a NPC sucking dicks.

>>47178443 Pretty much this
>>
Although is can be serious from time to time, we use it mostly as a joke. There is this is PC who is very inclined to fall in love with any pretty girl he sees and declare his love for them to end always rejected. The thing is, one women finally said yes and is no one else than the main evil character.
>>
>>47178337
As part of a magical realm game I like it. It's a nice contrast having the character going on a date in one scene and getting molested in another.
>>
>>47182191
Sounds like a game I'm running, though in reverse order. What's really been interesting has been seeing how far different players take the lewds, from fades to black to a roll for "how'd I do?" to ERP.

Though so far my favorite romance was one with a PC and NPC. Player on an rl related hiatus, but had a really cute thing going between an orc barbarian chick and a human unwillingly turned demon who just needed some support.
>>
>>47182447
>What's really been interesting has been seeing how far different players take the lewds, from fades to black to a roll for "how'd I do?" to ERP.
ELABORATE
>>
>>47181046
> Dating a woman is a privilege.
You think a woman is doing you a favour by dating you and you need to earn that favour?

This is why romance in game doesn't work, too many players and GMs don't know how it works...
>>
>>47182568
Don't shoot the messenger, but that's actually why dating works and why women put very little effort into it. He's right, despite the odds being horrible unfair there ARE dozens of men lining up for any given woman. Only the top men can claim comparable odds. Therefore, this is also how romance in tabletop games should be depicted and not as some idealized virgin's fantasy where women actually give a fuck about men.
>>
>>47178337
>Good
A female player played a character character in NWoD who had the ghost of her best friend following her. He was in love with her and in life she had never returned his feelings, but as a ghost she opened up to it out of guilt and appreciation at the fact that he stayed around to love her. Had cute/funny moments like him controlling a snuggie to cuddle with her or her being tsundere but letting him perv on her in the shower.

>Bad
Guy we thought had been friendzoned and the girl who had friendzoned him had some kind of weird bondage relationship in Pathfinder. She played an Lawful Evil Elf Monk who was also a Slave/Slave Hunter and he played the Lawful Evil Investigator who owned her.

They insisted that they were just friends and that he was in love with her ( and he had never hidden it, writing poetry, taking pictures together, getting a tattoo for her) and that she loved him but wasn't IN love with him.

Eventually her boyfriend found her campaign notes and showed up to the house one night during a game and ugh, that was awkward.

We eventually found out she gave the friendzoned guy a vial of her blood, had asked him to buy her her first vibrator, that they slept in the same bed, and we eventually learned she had a tattoo on her thigh for him.

They basically used my game as a way to workout their weird sexual and romantic frustrations
>>
>>47182527
Elaborate how? Some like it lewder than others.
You just want lewd details, don't you?
>>
>>47182766
No! I also want to get an idea of different people's tasted when it comes to including lewd!
>>
>>47182684

That's completely correct.

I've found that the biggest fictional part about romance - as we imagine it - is that women are actually interested in men. Beyond raw attraction, they're mostly looking for someone who can support them both financially and emotionally.

Really, the biggest leap I've made in a campaign is to make the potential love interest:

1.) A virgin.
2.) Looking for true love.
3.) Has a soft side to her.

Shit's not possible. A woman like that would have a line of suitors stretching for miles. More, why would she hang around waiting for the doofuses that are the PCs?
>>
File: 1461281704849.gif (646 KB, 558x781) Image search: [Google]
1461281704849.gif
646 KB, 558x781
>>47182843
>More, why would she hang around waiting for the doofuses that are the PCs?
Because she wasted her youth and most men no longer consider her eligible for marriage.
>>
>>47182783
Well, everyone seems to have fun with lewd comments, flirting and PCs showing off. One of them was pretty direct with an NPC and got her into the bedroom but left things at a few rolls for performance and risk of pregnancy.
The most innocent PC got a surprise mouthful of shadow shrooms, aphrodisiacs that create semisolid illusions of your fantasies while under their effects. This led to aggressive images of other party members, tentacles, and a giant centipede manifesting to molest her in front of everyone.
Another PC caught the interest of an innkeeper's daughter, and as a cover requested the girl bring up hot water for a bath. She then offered the frustrated young lady exactly what she needed and RP'd it in PM.
Yet another PC took a hookup to their room and just faded to black, though it was clear to everyone there were going to be tentacles involved.
And then the Chosen One shotadin trying to teach three demon sisters the power of love. Tends to be full RP.
>>
>>47178364
Thinking that only fatbeards play RPG is also very sad. I feel sorry for you anon.
>>
>>47182843

This is why arranged marriages were so popular back in the day - without parents acting as gatekeepers for their daughter's sex life, she'd have a reputation stretching as wide as her cunt when Chad Saracen pays her a visit.
>>
>>47183067
And catching a moment to comment further:

One PC did get their partner pregnant, swore to come back and tske care of her.
Another suspects they may have, but isn't sure yet.
And one was careful not to, but promised to return and see where things lead.
>>
>>47182843
>A woman like that would have a line of suitors stretching her for miles
fixed for you
>>
>>47178337
The two times it happened 'naturally' played out alright and happened between player characters.

In a Dark Heresy game, two feral worlders had gone through hell and back, bonded on how strange everything was, and wound up being cornered by a carnosaur without the necessary hardware to bring it down. The guy wound up climbing a tree, jumped on top of the beast, and through a glorious righteous fury roll drove a knife into its eye and twisted while it tried to throw him off. The character lost a few fate points in the struggle but saved the girl, who made a point of finding his hospital bed that night. It remained casual in game because both realized they'd die at any point, which wound up happening sooner than later.

In another game we had an uptight woman captain who had nominal command over the other pcs, one of which was a depressed but perpetually high pilot. Long story short, they wound up being the constant survivors of a crew thrown against suicide mission after suicide mission, belligerent sexual tension ensued, and something relatively serious developed once they literally threw down their guns and claws.

Both instances were all in game, sex was fade to black, and nothing got awkward out of character save for some silly high fiving.

I've seen it forced with npcs and that can get creepy when the player is clearly expecting easy fap material and the gm hems and haws as much as they can to get out of the situation. It's also always weird when a player wants to use charm or diplomacy as a roofie against another player's character, but banning social rolls on other pcs sorts that out.
>>
It's alright if it's handled well, even with a male DM.

Bad, when one of the PCs got into a relationship with an early game BBEG and defected. Good, when one of my characters got to marry one of the Princesses. Shame he was a kobold though.
>>
File: How to play bard correctly.png (707 KB, 1200x2568) Image search: [Google]
How to play bard correctly.png
707 KB, 1200x2568
>>47180321
Good thing I play a bard so I am immune to this kind of NTR.
>>
My elf rangers backstory was searching for his lost gf after their town was destroyed by orcs on the night he was going to propose to her.

Then he met her and she was leading an Orc army.

The romance continued awkwardly
>>
>>47182843
So wait, what do we do when both sexes want their partner to support them emotionally and maybe financially? Or if both sides are going, 'I would like to have a girlfriend/boyfriend, but it takes too much work to get a chance and I'm not up for the chase.'

Sometimes I feel like we have to pretend romance is as it is, because even knowing it's a lie is better than being burdened with the truth - you weren't special, you were just fit the right traits at the right point.
>>
File: 1384014362554.gif (2 MB, 500x390) Image search: [Google]
1384014362554.gif
2 MB, 500x390
>>47178875
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.