[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what if Wizards got rid of rarities on their cards? Would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: symbol.jpg (20 KB, 250x262) Image search: [Google]
symbol.jpg
20 KB, 250x262
So what if Wizards got rid of rarities on their cards? Would it save the game forever?
>>
IDK if it would save the game but the Living Card Game model where all the cards are available through packs where you know exactly what you're getting is certainly less reprehensible than CCG shit.
>>
>>47178444
Not saying like you know what you're getting, but the fact that you aren't limited to getting only a single or two good cards per pack. You know that each pack could have good cards that may appear multiple times.
>>
>>47178289
Well wizards would make far less money off it as people wouldn't buy as many packs.
>>
>>47178681
Hey everyone we printed less of these overpowered cards!

MTG Players:
>I'LL PAY 50! NO, 100 BUCKS FOR IT! BUT NOT FROM YOU FROM A SECOND PARTY!

The whole process is fucking ridiculous .
>>
File: 1460089019847.png (166 KB, 701x362) Image search: [Google]
1460089019847.png
166 KB, 701x362
>>47178289
I just want them to make all cards available as a "reprint on demand" for a set price. People can call in for reprints for a set price, like 5 bucks, and sell them to players. Including stuff like original duel lands and black lotus.

I might just be thirsty for collector and "investor" tears tho,
>>
Thanks to new world order, it will never happen. Maybe if they went back to just having black set symbols for everything.
>>
>>47178828
It's ridiculous but it works. People like to gamble.
>>
>>47178289
The game would be greatly improved if they abolished mythic rarity.
>>
>>47179266
So like a vote every set for a reprint? Damn this would be sweet. It would take a few years, but imagine the price plummets.
>>
>>47178289
It would destroy any and all limited formats except Cube forever. In case you haven't noticed, limited is a huge part of magic and it's what sells by far the most packs. The effect could even be big enough to kill magic.

>>47179266
This is something that should exist however. The community should be able to vote for cards to get reprinted and then they'd find a way to insert the most popular ones into new products.

>>47180240
Limited would suffer. Imagine having Avacyn or other auto-win cards appear thrice as often in drafts. I dislike the notion.
>>
>>47181607
Print mythics only on limited-oriented packs, that are just the same but with that extra rarity. Boom, solved.

I know Limited sells a lot of packs but it's ONE format among dozens who wants cards and can't have them because "it'll break limited in half". It's ridiculous, considering limited is widely played because the entry fee is lower, because constructed is expensive as fuck, because there's no good prints or lower rarities of played cards/secondary market.
>>
The reality is that the system works, people complaining about price of entry are not the people that make wizard's profits.
People that can't make game night because they work or have other responsibilities are not the target audience, and casual players that cobble together decks buying secondary market dollar rares don't get a say on the matter.

But, mhu hard earned money is yours if it was cheaper...
Wizard's don't want your nickels and dimes.
>>
>>47181710
We don't have a distinction of limited oriented packs versus others. All packs are for limited nowadays.

The only format that really suffers from limited being a consideration is Standard anyway. Standard on the other hand is primarily what limits the printing of cards that other formats might require. And Modern in turn somewhat limits what cards could be reprinted that Legacy wants.

What they could do to mitigate the stupid prices some mythics get to because of their rarity is print more supplemental products featuring chase cards, even recent ones. Jace rises to $50? Print an event deck with Jace in it and watch as the price plummets to sub $20. They guarantee to sell out multiple prints of the event deck even after Origins is out of print and not making them any money at all anyway. I really don't get why they don't do stuff like this more.
>>
No, based on their business model the common, uncommon, rare, mythic has very little impact. People just get too damn salty over this shit, the biggest issue magic has at the moment is variable power levels, the recent eldrazi are a great example, look at what printing them did to modern.
Honestly if you want to save magic, get rid of the reserved list, its killing the game more than anything.
>>
>>47182026
Reserved list only affects two formats that would be hellishly expensive even if they could reprint all the cards immediately.
Those kinds of secondary market prices don't give them an incentive to start churning out thousands of moxen as commons, it gives them an incentive to put them as super rares into otherwise lackluster sets like Expeditions in BFZ to sell more of average products. Which means even if you broke the reserved list, legacy and vintage would remain stupendously expensive.
>>
>>47182026
Huh?

What kind of effect does the reserve list have on standard or modern? Do you think they would reprint any of the overpowered cards in anything other than a suplemental product?

The real issue is that most people don't realize that Wizards markets Magic as a collectible first, a game second. Playability is used as a marketing device to create demand. This is why we have moved from playable commons and uncommons to virtually none. Mythics, foils, promos,... they are all geared towards making the game more collectible. Have you noticed how the game system itself has seen very little vertical design since the Alpha days? Aside from planeswalkers, what else is really new?

People need to assume we are basically gaming with Beanie Babies.
>>
>>47182026
The reserve list only affects four formats at best: Vintage, Legacy, EDH, and Prismatic (because I guess people play that format), and even then most of the cards on said list are banned in all of those formats but one, and in that one format they're limited because of power level reasons.

While I get where you're coming from, removing such things wouldn't help the overarching part of where WotC really gives a shit. And if they did get rid of the list and made those older formats much more available to the players, that's probably all more people are going to play, considering nobody would want to play a format where all their cards go away.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.