[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fuck the pre-conceived notion that dwarfs speak like Scottish
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: 1461199930073.jpg (70 KB, 600x776) Image search: [Google]
1461199930073.jpg
70 KB, 600x776
Fuck the pre-conceived notion that dwarfs speak like Scottish accents. As DM, in my campaign I've given them all a tinge of Russian.

How do you guys break the walls of type-castery and falling in to "stereotypes" in your campaigns?
>>
I ran a campaign once where the "elves" lived in the snowy north and depended more on their wits and their mounts than any kind of magic.
>>
Fuck the pre-conceived notion that elves fuck like tress. As DM, in my campaign I've given them a shrub fetish.

Fuck the pre-conceived notion that skeletons dance to xylophone music. As DM, in my campaign I've given them all trumpets and drums.
>>
By calling Op a double faggot, instead of just faggot.
>>
>>47177400
>skeletons with trumpets
DOOT DOOT
>>
File: 1459254276042.jpg (28 KB, 329x244) Image search: [Google]
1459254276042.jpg
28 KB, 329x244
>>47177400
>>47177585
Drums I can understand, but skeletons have neither lungs, diaphragms, lips, nor cheeks, making them awful for trumpet playing.

And, at the very least, have them play trombones.
>>
File: 1443965671468.jpg (306 KB, 1919x1079) Image search: [Google]
1443965671468.jpg
306 KB, 1919x1079
>>47176623
All of this is fine.
people are just lazy, that's why it's called stereotypes.
Dwarves are Nordic in my setting.
And the Women have Beards
>>
I can't do European accents worth a damn, but I am somewhat decent with various regional American accents.

As a result of this, Mountain Dwarves sound like they're from Brooklyn, Hill Dwarves from Texas, Halflings from the South, and Gnomes from Minnesota. Elves I'm still having to work on, but Wood Elves somehow got stuck with California surfer.
>>
>>47176623
I try to avoid just mixing around stereotypes when I can.

I mean, it can be good quick short hand when a campaign isn't going to delve much into the inner workings of a given society. There's no reason to have anthropological treatises on dwarven society when their total role in the campaign is to pay you money to kill some kobolds that are harrying a distant mine.

And a lot of the time if I'm bothering to run D&D stuff that's usually how it shakes out. When I'm running my own settings I usually make my own races from the ground up too.

One time I was convinced to run one of my story rich campaigns in Pathfinder though.
I decided that there was a reason that elves tended to perceive themselves as superior and have a haughty attitude towards other races. They didn't really have much to back that up, rationally speaking, but it turns out it's a kind of shared racial memory. The original elves, back when humans had only just figured out fire, were using magic to transform themselves into a race of godlike beings. It all went horribly wrong of course, but only after millennia of bestriding the world as immortal omnicompetent super beings.

Dwarves were obsessive about their codes and laws, including incredibly strict gender roles. But basically since the beginning of recorded history (which is a long time ago for dwarves), there were women that wanted to do men's work, and so it's become a kind of sub-tradition that female dwarves who wanted to be, eg, soldiers, would wear great luscious fake beards.
Meanwhile, men that wanted to be accountants would shave.
It works well for them, and they view any questions of this from, eg, clued in humans, as deeply baffling. "What do you mean why not just not wear the beard and be a warrior anyways!? There are traditions to uphold!"
>>
>>47177585
FUCK that scared me good!
>>
>>47176623

>replace one stereotype of hard drinking low education toughmens that british people look down on while finding humorous with another
>I've broken the walls

this is bait right?
>>
I made my orcs basically vikings and my elves are a fusion of pict and dothraki
>>
>>47179551
Maybe he don't give a fuck what the Brits think.
>>
>>47177566
OP here

I like the way you think
>>
>>47179865
you're right
>>
>>47176623
Our first language is spanish. I've never heard anyone do an accent for any type of fantasy character. Only inconcistent voice types.
How do you keep doing a voice or accent during a whole campaign?
>>
>>47180062
accents aren't exactly hard for me. Coming up with a fresh accent or a variant for NPCs isn't a huge challenge.

It CAN take a toll on the voice, depending on the accent, but I flame enough people in DOTA with a Russian accent that it's basically second nature to me.
>>
Dwarves are Germanic, they are effecient and lack humor.

Elves I maintain as English/Irish with the Drow being Russian (As I loved the Eastern European Drow Refugee idea)

Humans run the gambit.

Halfings are just chill dudes, mildly Cockney.

Gnomes I have as scottish as I had a dream about a mad genius who was scottish once.
>>
Stereotypically German elves complete with lederhosen
>>
>>47177658
If you can accept that they move without muscles because magic, then you can accept that they can do just about fucking anything that requires parts they no longer have. They can play the trumpet and fuck cowgirl style while riding a fucking penny farthing bike.
>>
>>47176623
>Fuck the pre-conceived notion
Good.
>Let's switch one stereotype to another!
You were so close.
>>
>>47180470
tried so hard and got so far
>>
>>47176623
>How do you guys break the walls of type-castery and falling in to "stereotypes" in your campaigns?
By having more than one culture for every race, for one. I never understood why all dwarves and all elves have to be exactly the same in a setting.
>>
>>47181232

This. I have elves and dwarves and orcs iny setting and you know what, if you travel a bit you will find groups of the same race that have almost nothing in common. Best way to handle it.
>>
>>47176623
I've always gone the Dragon Age route: No/American accents, but a generally deeper and gruffer voice.

Mainly because I'm bad at maintaining accents.
>>
How about slavic dwarves?
They aren't actually short, they're just all squatting.
>>
Every Dwarf I've ever played, or seen played has had a Scottish accent.

This may be because I'm a Scot, living in Scotland. But we tend to find the stereotype funny and play it up.
>>
>>47181506
But literally everyone in Origins had a Brittonic accent of some sort except the not-Frenchmen.
>>
>>47176623
Tolkein said they should sound semitic and made a crack about being obsessed with gold.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.